[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when a game being open world was a breath of fresh air?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 1492319486824.jpg (22KB, 439x449px) Image search: [Google]
1492319486824.jpg
22KB, 439x449px
Remember when a game being open world was a breath of fresh air?
>>
it was a breath of air from ass
>>
Seamless loading throughout the game world can be nice, though
>>
When will developers stop caring about consoles daddy?
>>
>>376406704
>>376406646
How to spot the underaged.

Yeah, I remember that time. Seems like ages ago though. In fact, it was ages ago.
Though to be perfectly honest, open-world is not a bad thing. It's just often (most of the time, honestly) very, very poorly used in games. And it was very poorly understood by the publishers. Which is the main reason why everybody started getting sick of it.
>>
>>376406704
dare i say it?
>>
>>376407038
To be honest, customers are just as much to blame as the developers and publishers are for this mess.
>>
"Open World" is just marketing lingo for lazy world design.

People bought into this shit and devs thought it was okay to keep pumping out more titles with it.
>>
>>376406646
fpbp
>>
open world was a breath of fresh air in like Spider-man on PS2 or San Andreas.
everything after that was pure shit. i waited years until i played Fallout 3 because i was so salty about it becoming first person.
>>
>>376406602
Yes it was 15 years ago with Morrowind.
>>
>>376407075
is he ... /ourguy/?
>>
>>376407189
You are a moron. Open world has nothing to do with good or bad world-design. What the fuck are you even drooling on about?
>>
>>376406704
Oh yes my dear
>>
>>376407267
Came here to say this, funnily the later installments have been less open both in the game world and in gameplay
>>
>>376406704
spbp
>>
>>376407007
When they stop making 80% of their revenue from then, son.
>>
>>376407490
Actually, they have been far more open. What did happen is that like most other games in the genre (or more precisely format), they completely lost track WHAT THE OPEN WORLD IS SUPPOSED TO BE USED FOR.

This is an age-old problem and it really boils down to the fault of general audience, rather than anyone else. It has first seriously appeared with the backlash against Mafia 2 (which was a flawed game in many respects, but it's open-world design, the one thing people complained most about, was not one of them). It later on damaged the reception of New Vegas, and the last game I know it can claim as a victim is The Witcher 3.

The whole problem is that the audience created a fucked up expectations from what Open World is supposed to be about, and games had to conform to it ever since. Post-Morrowind TES and Fallouts 3/4 being a particularly painful examples of this stupid design philosophy. Bethesda embraces it willingly and cheerfully, but honestly, in many other games, the problem is that the developers just have to give in to the audience pressure, even if they had the ambition to use the open world in a more interesting fashion.
>>
>Zelda BotW will be open world lime Zelda 1
OH HELL YES
>they fuck it up
And now it's worthless.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.