[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOTW Combat Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: silverlynel.jpg (145KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
silverlynel.jpg
145KB, 1280x720px
What did you think of the combat in Breath of the Wild? If you could change it, would you do it differently or leave it the same?
>>
Works well enough, I wish there were more weapon movesets but that's beside the point. Lynels are the best designed enemy in 3D Zelda.

>changes
Smaller window for activating flurry rush. Tighter window for successful parries, plus not every attack should be parryable.
>>
>>376377394
It's alright, flurry rushes are repetitive and boring though
>>
It's by far the fastest out of the 3d Zeldas and the one that resembles the 2D games the most
>>
I like it very much.
For years I never used my bow in Zelda because I did not want to use ammo. Now that weapons have durability I have used my bow way more than in any other Zelda game. I'm still searching for my last shrines/seeds and I would never fight a Lynel with a weapon again. x5 bow is way more effective.
Also, doing combos with the stasis+ is fun as fuck
>>
Needed more enemy varieties and weapons. You should also have been able to parry only holding a sword and dual wield swords. Shield bash should have been a viable attack. And you should have been able to fight with your fists.
>>
>>376377394
It's ok but after a while nothing is a challenge anymore

Even Silver Lyenls I can kill very easily without taking any damage
>>
>>376378884
well your shield bash does damages the enemy with a lynel shield. But I agree with the rest
>>
I wish you can flip backwards when you have bow and arrow equipped.

I'm trying to fire my bow at a Lynel and he comes charging in like one bullet train.
>>
>>376377394
It's too simple and easy.
>>
>Reduce flurry rush active time so when you use it frequently its not so annoying
>Add a tell to any attack you cannot perfect dodge so you dont waste time trying
>Nerf bows into the fucking ground
>You can't dodge while you have a shield, pick your poison
>Allow blocking enemies to retaliate with an attack that can be parried or dodged in return, instead of spam beating their guard every time
>>
>>376379418
Never tried it but doesn't backflipping twice actually do a backflip?
I think that is how it worked in Skyward Sword.
>>
Needs to be an easier way to switch what target you're locked onto.
>>
>>376377394
It was the first Zelda that kept my attention enough to beat

Combat was great, story and boss battles weren't
>>
The combat is fine I guess, the real problem is that the second you get good at it you become untouchable. Lynels become the only real threat, even bigger than Ganon, but you'll soon be farming them for upgrade materials and be just as untouchable as you were before.

The game's combat really needed better enemies to fight, the combat itself is fine for a Zelda game.
>>
I think low durability is fine, it just needs better weapon strength scaling so that late game fights don't destroy half your inventory.

More enemies would be nice, as well. Or just new moves for higher level enemies.
>>
>>376379595
No you backstep with bow. if Z triggered
>>
>Keep durability in the game, but make the weapons last longer. It's not good to use two and a half weapon for a non-boss enemy like Lynels.
>Quicktime finishing moves
>Introduce the ability to snatch enemy weapons from hands or just knock them out of their hands late game. Something like the grappling hook in Windwaker when it was just loot.
>>
>>376377895
>Smaller window for activating flurry rush. Tighter window for successful parries, plus not every attack should be parryable.

Oh, I hate you.

My first parry was at Calamity Ganon a hundred and twenty five hours in
>>
>>376377394
There should be a real fucking Shield button. I am tired of getting my ass blasted and beat because I don't whip my shield out because the faggot elf man won't put his fucking bow away.
>>
>>376379951
>>Introduce the ability to snatch enemy weapons from hands or just knock them out of their hands late game. Something like the grappling hook in Windwaker when it was just loot.
This.
>>
File: tumblr_omf874OEOF1r8xrzao1_1280.png (230KB, 938x817px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omf874OEOF1r8xrzao1_1280.png
230KB, 938x817px
>>376377394

-Flurry Rush needs to have its length/timing adjusted so that you get more time for riskier dodges. As it is now, it's very easy to trigger near the beginning of enemy attack animations, but often doesn't trigger if you avoid the attack by a hair's breadth.
-Remove eating during combat. Honestly, the whole food/cooking system needs to be reworked; I think it's a bigger issue than the combat.
-Remove Silver enemies. They're obnoxious damage sponges who do ridiculous damage with the same attacks, and I'm very disappointed that the "hard mode" is just going to be more Silver enemies plus even higher health/damage tiers for enemies.
-To counteract this, make armor upgrading less dramatic. Upgrading your armor should have a noticeable affect, but it's sad that I can pretty much ignore damage from weaker enemies when I get a full set of maxed out armor.
-I think fewer weapon/bow/shield slots would be nice, too. Once you get permanent access to Hestu, you pretty much never have to worry about running out of good weapons ever again. I'd like more situations where I'm fighting enemies and having to use the stuff they drop to finish the fight.
-Also, remove elemental arrows. Completely. If you use them constantly, you'll run out quickly, but otherwise I was sitting on hundreds of each type at a time. I think it nullifies the usefulness of other sources of elemental damages, like rods, enchanted weapons, elemental chu jelly, exploding an Elemental Chu-Chu, etc. Not to mention fire arrows break a lot of shrine puzzles, and not in a fun way.
>>
>>376379951
>Introduce the ability to snatch enemy weapons from hands or just knock them out of their hands

Thrown weapons are guaranteed to de-equip enemies I believe, but obviously you're sacrificing your weapon for it.
>>
>>376377394
It's pretty good. Or at the very least, it's very satisfying to fling people off cliffs and you're encouraged to do it constantly in this game.

In addition to what everyone else is saying about flurry rush and food, I'd also like it if dodging, blocking, and attacking took stamina. Right now it doesn't feel like stamina serves much purpose in combat aside from powering up the two-handed charge attack.

>>376379951
If you parry attacks with a strong enough shield, it'll knock weapons out of enemies' hands.
>>
>>376379854
>needs better weapon strength scaling so that late game fights don't destroy half your inventory
What kind of enemy does this? Lynels don't degrade weapons if you board them, top level hinoxes are trivial even with standard royal claymores available from the woodland tower and don't even burn one claymore. None of the blights need more than one or two good melee weapons, and by that point you should have durability+ weapons from hinoxes anyway.
>>
>>376377394
If they're going to copy Platinum they should've just asked Platinum to consult in the first place. Flurry rush was awful. Also Platinum probably would have told Nintendo that their final boss sucked.
>>
>>376381125
>fling people off cliffs

Nah man, freeze em and take your Korok Leaf out, looks way funnier
>>
File: pepebcry.jpg (60KB, 764x512px) Image search: [Google]
pepebcry.jpg
60KB, 764x512px
>>376377394
It doesn't feel very good.

Ever since Wind Waker, they made weapons feel like baseball bats instead of things that cut through enemies. They're never ever going to change it though.
>>
>>376380710
>elemental chu jelly

wait, that stuff has utility in combat? do tell
>>
>>376377394
It's pretty good. I just wish there were more enemy types.
Converting gadgets from previous zelda games into weapons would be nice as well.

>Hookshot or whip to grab shields from enemies
>bring back deku seeds or an item in that vein
>add a megaton hammer variant that stuns enemies with a shockwave
>Cane of Somaria to create metal blocks
>Bombchus
>Iron Shield

A dual wield weapon class would be cool. Dual daggers or some shit.
>>
>>376379951
>It's not good to use two and a half weapon for a non-boss enemy like Lynels.
In fairness, Lynels are harder than every single boss.
>>
File: Cute Cats.jpg (16KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
Cute Cats.jpg
16KB, 500x332px
Isn't it just minecraft's combat system + a roll?
>>
>>376380710
>Not to mention fire arrows break a lot of shrine puzzles, and not in a fun way.

They could just turn the torches into blue flame. There's no need to have such a sweeping removal of something that's fun,
>>
>>376381475

Admittedly, I would need to experiment with it more to see how actually useful it is, but if you drop some and hit it, it explodes with the appropriate element.

I actually just booted up the game to try it; dropped a pile of electric Chu jelly on the ground, a moblin runs over to hit me, hits the pile too, and electrocutes himself.
>>
>>376381475
Throw it at the enemy, then shoot it with an arrow. It will explode with elemental damage. You can make elemental chu jelly from regular chu jelly. Drop a bunch of blue chu jelly on the ground and hit it with a shock arrow or rod to make yellow jelly, for example. Drop it at death mtn to make fire jelly.
>>
>>376380710
>Not to mention fire arrows break a lot of shrine puzzles, and not in a fun way.
so do regular arrows, in the exact same way, gotta get rid of them too I guess...
>>
>>376381868
Regular arrows work with blue flame....
>>
>>376379951
1) Lynels are bosses
2) You're a scrub if you're not dropping a weapon a short distance away to ensure you have at least 1 free weapon slot when you roll up on a pack of enemies to shock/disarm/pick up the weapon and make the battle easier. You can drop the shit when they're dead and pick up what you temporarily dropped even
>>
File: zelda band.jpg (120KB, 397x811px) Image search: [Google]
zelda band.jpg
120KB, 397x811px
I personally like the combat quite a bit until I got the master sword. What was once a delicate dance of resources became weapon collecting and hoarding due to the fact that I could use some of the master sword to offset my losses. Armor is also pretty OP. Even with a silver lynel's most damaging moves it didn't do enough. Abilities were a good way to mix stuff up but most of them are ignorable. Things I would change:
>Add gold enemies with super fast animations
I think silver enemies were okay as they allowed you the ability to get strong weapons without backtracking while also being something of a threat b ut they were too close to regular mobs.
>More difficult enemy variety
There was basically lynels and assassins in terms of end game mobs as guardians became your bitch after the mastersword. Could have done with something more threatening but Lynel was a cool challenge the first couple of times for a zelda game. Give me an iron knuckle and real stalfos though.
>More weapon gimmicks
I'm fine with there only being three weapon types but was disappointed to find how few tricks they had up their sleeve. Wind blade and boomerang were cool but elemental weapons just felt like extra damage and that's boring.
>Some guardians don't have set locations
This was a severe missed opportunity and something I figured would be in since they were such a prevalent part of the game. There should have been a guardian or two that patrolled each province that threw a wrenches into plans. I literally never even fought one until I got the mastersword. I wasn't afraid of them, I just didn't see the point. It may have been annoying to new comers but it's much cooler than rain stranding you half the time.
>>
>>376377394
2H to be a 3 chain attack rather than 2 chain.
>>
>>376382162
Ok so just remove regular arrows too and wooden weapons. Nice reddit ellipses by the way
>>
File: 1489675186554.jpg (219KB, 1200x992px) Image search: [Google]
1489675186554.jpg
219KB, 1200x992px
>>376381868

>There's no need to have such a sweeping removal of something that's fun,

I guess I just don't think it's very fun. Like, you can light a campfire in preparation of a fight, dip your drawn arrow into the campfire, and bam, you've got a fire arrow. Drop some fire Chu Jelly in a patch of grass, and hit it to light a bunch of stuff on fire. Or even the set up of using an arrow to drop a lantern into a pile of bombs.

I like that a lot more than "I'm sitting on 175 fire arrows, firing them 5 at a time out of my Lynel Bow."
>>
Get rid of durability so I can enjoy it without equipment screen interruption for more than 2 seconds at a time.
>>
>>376382168
You must be really shit at this game if you think you actually need to do that.
>>
>>376379657
Lynels are only a threat if you don't have a rock to timestop off of
>>
-Remove durability, weapons you pick up are permanent and can be upgraded at a Great Fairy
-R1 has a unique attack depending on the weapon you use instead of throwing away your weapon.(Like Boomerang weapons and Master Sword beam)
-Flurry rush and bullet time removed
-Stasis+ removed
-No eating in combat, only potions which can only be used in real time
>>
>>376382582
>Remove durability
Stopped reading there.
>>
Dear BotW fans, this is how good combat looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOugIDIR2xo
>>
>>376382582
>bullet time removed
This is the only good idea

You get an F for this post
>>
>>376379951
Lynels are essentially boss enemies already, and easy to avoid if you don't want to fight them.

Why in God's cock would you WANT to add QTEs to this game

You can force enemies to drop weapons with electric attacks. Use a Thunder Rod, or just all the Shock arrows you'll get from ass-fucking Lynels once you quit your whining and git gud.
>>
>>376382478
you're on 4chan, not a date

stop trying to impress people by humblebragging
>>
>>376382096

Not really, at all. There's lots of shrines where arrows are essential.

There aren't any shrines where fire arrows are essential, but there are some where the entire puzzle is "how to get a fire from point A to point B," which is made very trivial and boring by shooting a fire arrow at it.
>>
>>376382168
Instead of me being shit why can't you just be based? Great idea tho, I hate having to use my dope weapons on Scrubs.
>>
Lynels are the only enemies worth fighting for the challenge.

Guardian Stalkers are the only enemies worth fighting for their AI exploit shenanigans.

Everything else is just a pushover in terms of how fun they are to fight.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.