[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did we never get a Half-Life 3 /v/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: half-life-3-2.jpg (59KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
half-life-3-2.jpg
59KB, 1920x1080px
Why did we never get a Half-Life 3 /v/?
>>
DOTA2 makes too much money, so Valve just said fuck it.
>>
>>376357095
Valve left the game development business because Steam prints money.
>>
>>376357095

At this point, who fucking cares? Half-Life 2 wasn't even good.
>>
who gives a fuck

nu-valve sucks

hl2 was absolute unmitigated shit compared to hl1 and hl2dm was a joke compared to hldm
>>
>>376357095
At this point I hope we never get it because it's going to be shit
>>
File: image.jpg (114KB, 640x619px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114KB, 640x619px
>>376357235
This.
>>
>>376357235
redditors fucking love it for some reason
>>
>>376357235

The semi-open world buggy parts made me quit the game back in 2007. Level design was shit. The AI too.

They never knew what to do with HL3.
>>
>>376357095
Because that's just normies meme, Half life not even a good game.
>>
>>376358886
>Half life not even a good game.

half life 1 deathmatch was an impeccable arena shooter though, but I agree on hl2 being pure reddit shit
>>
>>376357095
Because making it took effort
>>
no, time to move on, retard
>>
>>376357095
Because its been too hyped and would never live up to anyones expectations.
>>
>>376357254

^ this

There are still DM servers up, only a few but they are active. XDM modded and original
>>
>>376357235

It seemed like an unfinished game. Had lots of potential. The majority of the game was fun to play but... it just seemed to be really lacking.

The end fight was especially disappointing.
>>
>>376357095
Windows 10 S

Valve has been in panic mode for the last few years working on Linux stuff that's mostly off the radar unless you happen to be a Linux user who likes playing games.
They've hired the biggest names in Linux display code and have them working on a bunch of stuff both behind closed doors and out in the open.
If you pay attention you can even work out some of what they're working on the same way people work out graphics card hardware details from the open source hardware enablement patches.
>>
>because you touch yourself at night
>>
>>376357235
>>376357254
>>376357595
>>376358569
>>376358850
>>376359210
>>376361479
>>376361841
Absolutely embarrassing. Is this what /v/ has become? You faggots are gross.
>>
>>376357095
because based gaben decided that dota 2 and tf2 is better, and he's right. you should play those instead of singleplayer dinosaurs.
>>
>>376363343
They're underage. They played HL2 well after it was a technical marvel and unlike anything else out there.
>>
>>376358569
maybe you have shittier tastes that even redditors, anon
>>
Because Gabe sees it as a series of regrets.
>>
File: prey-listing-thumb.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
prey-listing-thumb.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>376357095
We just got one idiot
>>
>>376365276
I played it 10 years after it came out, and I still thought it was a masterpiece. It's not perfect, but it's still spectacular.
>>
>>376357095
Because Gaben realized that he can just make billions off of TF2 and CS:GO crates for the rest of his life.
>>
>>376365486
That's how I felt about the original Deus Ex. Played it a few days before Human Revolution and I could definitely feel the date, but also appreciate there not really being anything quite like it out there
>>
Half life 2 and its expansions were tech demos

Half Life 3 would have nothing new to showcase
>>
>>376366947
i hope this is bait. Half Life 2 is great aside from its physics based puzzles. The bridge section, the opening, the driving across the outskirts of city 17 alone... those are some of the best moments in any video game.
>>
Likely suffers from the same shit that the Last Guardian or Final Fantasy XV suffered through.

Planned at the final stages of a generation, then midway through, great breakthroughs were made which caused a scrap and redoing assets and changing overall concept of gameplay to incorporate those new elements.

They likely hit the fuck it, let's go back to it later button and haven't looked back since.
>>
>>376367780
It's partly that, but also lack of incentive. So it's more close to the shit Duke Nukem Foever went through, in that they had enough funding to sit on their asses and no higher power to answer to, while at the same time new tech was coming out that made the slow-ass work they had finished look like ass in comparison.
>>
Because Valve could give a flying fuck about making games anymore.
>>
>>376361841
Glad i'm not the only one who felt the exact same way
>>
>>376365276
>muh tech demo

sorry the game was total shit
>>
File: 1260764288566.jpg (50KB, 400x445px) Image search: [Google]
1260764288566.jpg
50KB, 400x445px
all the old talent left valve. we don't deserve it anyways. hl3 would be too perfect for this world
>>
Honestly, as a kid, I really enjoyed HL2 because it felt "real" to me. With the (at the time) good animation and character models, simple plot, atmosphere, and good physics engine, it was all together a pretty engaging and immersive game, imo.

People's experiences from a younger perspective can pervert relatively accepted standards of quality (story, structure, gamplay, etc.) and leaves an inflated sense of quality. As it is, if I were to play the game for the first time today, I would probably have a completely different appreciation or disregard for the game.

As it stands, for any entertainment medium, quality is often subjective. Tastes change and experiences change and is different for every person and makes "quality" a relatively nebulous term.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.