/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so now that the dust has settled, is this thing worth upgrading to?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

File: ps4pro.jpg (91KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ps4pro.jpg
91KB, 1500x1000px
so now that the dust has settled, is this thing worth upgrading to?
>>
The only wait to upgrade it is my making Ape Escape 4
>>
>>376354117
only if you have a 4k TV
>>
>upgrading
no

it's worth it if you don't already have a PS4 at best
>>
>>376354117
no, as it is the console we should've had in the first place. Fuck all the 4K and HDR memes, there's no reason to NOT have solid 1080p/60fps capable system in mid-2010s.
>>
Upgrading? No, not unless you get a decent trade in deal.
>>
>>376354117
Hell no.

Wait for the next PS console, should be out soon.
>>
>>376354440
I got pro and I got "only" 1080p LED.
Why? Because 900p at 24fps and no AA / AF is disgusting. And any day now, we'll be having Pro-only exclusives, like N64 started getting Expansion Pak requiring games years ago.
>>
>all those fags going on about 4K
the only reason to own a PRO is for boost mode and making 30fps games run 25fps instead of 20fps
>>
I got one and a 4k hdr tv recently cause i had money to blow, the few games with patches look great but if your poor or dont own a 4k hdr tv dpnt do it.
>>
>>376354630
>And any day now, we'll be having Pro-only exclusives
Why? The version on the normal PS4 would just be incredibly gimped, Nioh is proof that's already happening.
>>
>>376355873
What do you mean?
>>
>>376354630
>Pro-only exclusives
Of course they could change their mind, but as of now Sony has stated that they wouldn't allow developers to release Pro-only exclusive games. They can only release free upgrades/performance boosting features.
>>
I upgraded and boost mode is pretty great. If it didn't have that I would have said no. It stabilizes a lot of older games. If you have OCD about noises though you might want to steer clear of the Pro.
>>
>>376356039
I think nioh runs at 1080p/60fps on action mode on the pro, instead of 720p/60 fps
>>
>>376356106
even if not exclusive, it can encourage releasing garbage versions for the normal PS4

aka, normal PS4 becomes the "port" that they downgrade and barely work on as long as it runs
>>
>>376356039
There's no reason to say "sorry, you can't buy this game without a pro" when they can just release a game that works on both but is much worse on the original. Especially since you'd be abandoning the 50+million install base for the original PS4 in favour of the less than 1 million install base for the Pro and the blind hope that people will buy a Pro to play it's exclusive games.
>>
The dust hasn't settled, they haven't used the full power of the pro yet
>>
>>376356196
My pro is way quieter than my launch model was.
>>
>>376356413
I never even heard your regular PS4 make any noise, fan never speeds up

I heard the drive is noisy though, but never bought a physical game for it, so...
>>
It's a cashgrab unlike Scorpio
>>
I only got it because money isn't really an issue, as well as my OCD regarding the extra frames it has on some games.
But really, if you don't have a 4K tv, just get the slim version and you'll be fine. That way you'll avoid the jet turbines of the original.
>>
>>376356501
MGS5 made the fucker scream
>>
>>376354630
Why would you use a ps4 for anything not weebtier anyways? I use mine exclusively for weeb games. There's nothing worth owning on a ps4 that warrants an upgrade to pro.
>>
>>376356413
I don't know what the original model sounded like. I had the second revision og with the matte finish which had the coil whine. Pro's disc drive is pretty loud on install. Quiets down afterwards. Pro supported games run louder on average. It's not too bad though. The only thing that bothers me is the faint rattling sound it makes when using a disc. I thought it was a problem and did an exchange but the other one did it as well. I just said fuck it at that point because it's too much of a hassle reinstalling all my games as it is. I can only really hear it if I put my ear right up to the drive though so it's easy to forget.
>>
File: 2017-05-02-184524.jpg (343KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2017-05-02-184524.jpg
343KB, 1920x1080px
>>376356724
>tfw you like the shittiest tier of weeb games and PS4 keeps increasing your backlog, all while still not being caught up on vita
damn sales
>>
>>376356724
trust me, my Pro is totally for weebshit alone. I don't play shooters on consoles, nor am I interested in any kind of sport trash.

The Last Guardian was one of the first examples of normie-PS4 not really cutting it anymore for modern games. Terrible framerate & pacing issues, that do affect the game feel and immersion.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>376356884
Sales are what wreck me too anon. I have nothing against the pro, but it will always be the weeb console for me
>>
No. Let the beta testers enjoy their jet engine while you wait until they announce a better version of the pro in 6 months.

There literally isn't a reason to get Pro if you have a ps4 already unless you WANT 60 fps on Final Fantasy 15.

Don't buy consoles on e3 season, holy shit.
>>
>>376356946
I didn't play last guardian so i wouldnt know. Persona 5 is running fine and then I'm really just waiting for dq11 and trails of cold steel 3 to come to the west I think.
>>
>>376357205
>ffxv 60fps

More like variable 60.
>>
File: ljeoke.png (112KB, 215x253px) Image search: [Google]
ljeoke.png
112KB, 215x253px
>there are sonyegros that actually bought this and are now bootyblasted by the 10% upgrade
>>
>>376354117

If you don't have a PS4, you should buy a pro.
If you already have a PS4, you don't need to upgrade.
If you aren't worried about 4K and are on a budget, get a slim.
>>
File: 1448645839632.jpg (76KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1448645839632.jpg
76KB, 480x640px
>>376357570
>tfw I bought it and its my first console since the PS1

then just because my familia bought a samsung 4k tv and had nothing to do with it, so glad it supports hdr
>>
is the pro a roach motel like the standard ps4?
>>
>>376359209
District 9 levels bro.
>>
>>376354630

A $60 memory expansion pack is a different pill to swallow than having to buy a $400 console.

Developers will put eye candy features on PS4 Pro, but there will never be exclusive games. Its too niche of a market.
>>
>>376354507
this
>>
Question /v/:

I'm thinking of buying a PS4 but I don't know if the pro is worth it. Some things to consider:

- Can I move/play my PS3 games on a PS4?

- I heard that a lot of PS4 disc drives are breaking down now. Is it worth getting a Pro because of this?

- I heard they're was a slim PS4. Is this the pro or just a slimmer original PS4?

- I mainly just want it for bloodbourne and Red dead 2 as I already have a gaming PC.

Is it still worth getting one of these and selling my PS3?
>>
There's a PS5 rumor floating around now for next year. Wait a month for E3.
>>
>>376360965
Yes it's worth it.
>>
>>376360965
>- Can I move/play my PS3 games on a PS4?
no
>- I heard that a lot of PS4 disc drives are breaking down now. Is it worth getting a Pro because of this?
no
>- I heard they're was a slim PS4. Is this the pro or just a slimmer original PS4?
the second
>- I mainly just want it for bloodbourne and Red dead 2 as I already have a gaming PC.

get the slim. cheaper, not loud as fuck as the old PS4,
PS4 pro only if you have a 4K display
>>
>>376356281
This is not a good strategy for the developers. Considering how low the Pro installed base is (compared to the normal one), allienating almost all of your potential buyers in favor of a minority isn't clever.
>>
>>376360965
>- Can I move/play my PS3 games on a PS4?
no
>- I heard that a lot of PS4 disc drives are breaking down now. Is it worth getting a Pro because of this?
Never heard of this problem in all versions of the PS4
>- I heard they're was a slim PS4. Is this the pro or just a slimmer original PS4?
Slimmer vanilla PS4, it's also about $200 cheaper than a Pro since it's usually $250 with a pack in game.
>>
>>376361564
not right now, no

but in a few years who knows

the old userbase is typically no the one who buy the most games, if they did we'd still be getting PS2 games
>>
>>376354117
If you already have a base PS4, then I wouldn't bother. If you're buying a new PS4 and you have the cash to spare, then sure, why not - but it's not a huge deal I'd say.

It barely makes a difference since it won't really boost your FPS in any game. At best you'll get slightly prettier graphics or slightly more consistent 30 fps, but I've yet to see a game go from 30 fps to 60 fps on the pro. So overall I don't really see the point.

As for myself, I bought it because I have the money so I don't really care.
>>
>>376354630
I have a Pro and a 4K monitor, but I still run the games at 1080p. :^)
>>
>>376361689
>>- I heard they're was a slim PS4. Is this the pro or just a slimmer original PS4?
>Slimmer vanilla PS4, it's also about $200 cheaper than a Pro since it's usually $250 with a pack in game.
It's not just slimmer, it also has significantly upgraded hardware. Sure, the performance is the same, but the heat output and power consumption are both significantly lower - in some cases even half that of the original PS4.
>>
>>376362308
>30 to 60
it's typically more about being _stable_ 30fps, making it the better experience nonetheless

then again boost mode (for games not patched for Pro) doesn't even make bloodborne a stable 30fps, but it still helps makes it more stable nonetheless, so it's still the better experience. Improves loading times a little bit too (but not as much as adding a SSD does).
>>
>>376354117

No, only games worth playing on PS4 is weebshit and the pro support on those is spotty at best.
>>
>>376354351
are you having a stroke?
>>
>>376363146
Anon, please don't quote such posts. You made me read it 5 times in an attempt to comprehend.
>>
>>376354117
Depends.
Do you use wifi? If yes then yes
Do you use the streaming function in any capacity? if yes then yes
Do you have a 4k tv? if yes then yes
Do you enjoy more stable framerates? If yes then yes.
Do you enjoy better image quality with less shimmering? if yes then yes.
Do you want to be future proof for death stranding etc? if yes then yes.
>>
>>376354507
And even then only if you have a 4k tv or are planning to get one.
>>
>>376363426
>Do you have a 4k tv? if yes then yes
Honesty there's not really a difference between 4K and 4K supersampling scaled down to to 1080p
>>
>>376363526
if you're getting it for 4K, you're literally being meme'ed

it just makes everything more stable in general, some games may also look better
>>
File: dscaled.jpg (345KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dscaled.jpg
345KB, 1920x1080px
>>376363426
>>376363542
Pic related, you really don't lose anything and it looks just as good in motion
>>
File: uscaled.jpg (916KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
uscaled.jpg
916KB, 3840x2160px
>>376363672
Scaled back up to 4K, for direct detail comparison
>>
>>376363814
Eh, I think 4k is worth it. Of course if you watch your 55" from 10 feet away it won't do shit, but 4k allows you to be much closer and enjoy a "bigger screen". I was blown away by my brother's 55" KS8000 playing Horizon, watching from something like 4-5 feet. Then I got home and played on my 55" 1080p Sony B-series and it was disappointing how you couldn't see as much detail, because individual pixel are not small enough.
>>
>>376356884
Meine bruder.
>>
you can skip the PS4 altogether, it's just a PS3 that can play bloodborne
>>
I'm getting one along with a 4K TV because a I can afford to now and b the fucking wifi on my current PS4 is utter, dire, shit. Fuck me. I have to network bridge my wifi and hook my pc up to the playstation with a lan cable.

PS fucking 5 will probably come out next year now though.
>>
>>376364179
>55" at 4-5 ft distance
That's pretty similar to my own setup:
>32" at 70cm distance
In terms of agular resolution and field of view, our experiences are approximately comparable. (Which also means you did a good job of picking your viewing distance, lol)

So I know what it looks like. Still, I think you're getting meme'd or letting your subconscious affect you due to other factors. Do an actual comparison on something like HZD on your friend's PS4 and switch between 4K output and 1080p output + 4K SSAA during actual gameplay and you really, really won't notice a difference. Bonus points if you do it double blind.

>55" 1080p
Sure hope you're sitting at 8-9 ft distance.
>>
>>376364539
Even simple things like the text in the PS menu look so much better on 4k though. Edges are rounded, whereas on 1080p sets you definitely see the pixels on straight lines.
>>
File: scaling4kvsrealres.jpg (70KB, 967x269px) Image search: [Google]
scaling4kvsrealres.jpg
70KB, 967x269px
>>376363814
>>376363672
Don't agree. Sub pixel shimmering is really obvious.

Besides scaling a supersampled image up still has some benefits over the standard 1080p version.
>>
>>376364872
Yeah I guess it's good for text, especially small text. Not a huge deal IMO though since most of the time I just care about gameplay in motion.

I'll take your word for it re: the text, the PS4 itself doesn't actually support 4K for me. I only tested using PC games.
>>
>>376363426
>worrying about future proof consoles.

This is the state of consoles. That was like the only advantage is you know a game would work in your console
>>
>>376366262
It will still work but if you want to be sure you have the best version possible for the exclusive games you need to proof yourself this way.
New ps4 games still look amazing and run really great on the standard version (exclusives)
>>
>>376356671
My slim is so fucking quiet. Huge relief after the perpetual jet engine my launch PS3 became.
>>
>>376367160
I'm calling consoles trash I don't care if it barely works
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.