[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /v/ think of Witcher 2?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

File: the_witcher_1920_01.jpg (760KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
the_witcher_1920_01.jpg
760KB, 1920x1080px
What does /v/ think of Witcher 2?
>>
>>376346936
very much ahead of its time graphically, but a very grindy game that can feel like an MMO at times. Story is good though, if extremely exposition dense.
>>
I think it's the second installment of one of the most overrated RPG franchises ever made
>>
>>376347037
>but a very grindy game that can feel like an MMO at times
He said 2, not 3.
>>
>What does /v/ think of Witcher 2?

Prime example of streamlining and casualization. Pretty much exactly what consolitis looks like for PC franchise.

Ironically it was forgiven because the graphics were good back in 2011 and it was PC exclusive.
>>
Ultimately it's a pretty good game but as a part of its trilogy it's the worst of both worlds: it lacks the atmosphere and charm of the first one while suffering from what could be described as consolitis (QTEs and that kind of stuff while being a direct downgrade to 3 in terms of production values, combat and that kind of stuff.
>>
File: eh_whatever.jpg (423KB, 1456x1740px) Image search: [Google]
eh_whatever.jpg
423KB, 1456x1740px
I've tried playing this game 3 times. First two I dropped after the prologue since the combat is fucking shit.
During the third time I managed to get farther, and was amazed at the quality of character interactions and plot presentation. However, I got to "kill X mobs" quests and fucking dropped it after being frustrated with the combat system again.

As far as I know, W3's combat is also not that great either, and that's what is stopping me from playing it. Even though otherwise it's a great game, apparently.
>>
>>376346936

Its honestly the perfect short RPG. Game isnt overly long, has replay value which feels rare for this genre and it looks absolutely fantastic especially when it came out.
>>
>>376346936
Vastly inferior to both 1 and 3 but still an OK RPG despite this. It's an AA title that tries to be an AAA experience but fails to do so.
>>
>>376346936
Shorter than I thought but that's probably the byproduct of them trying to make 2 routes.
>>
>>376346936
I liked it

Took me about three tries to get into it for whatever reason, but when I finally did I also played through the game three times
>>
>>376346936
It's the best of the serie. But god damn they don't know how to do combat and rpg elements.
>>
>>376346936
The story is kind of boring and the game didn't have much to offer outside of that main quest.
It was graphically impressive, but I never really loved it. Didn't help that it retconned half my Witcher 1 playthrough. I wouldn't even be mad, but they had me transfer my save file.
>>
pretty good, but it feels like you're maybe halfway through when it suddenly ends
>>
>>376346936
Probably the worst of the bunch, but I personally still prefer it over 3. I couldn't even finish that one.

1 is still best though. Also, damn it looks good, better than W3 even.
>>
>>376346936
Somewhere between 2 and 3 is a perfect Witcher game, especially if they find a better way to implement combat stances.
>>
worst game in a mediocre series
>>
>>376350198
I'd rather have a mix between 1-2.

>tfw no alternative timeline where CDPR remained a niche RPG developer and not just another generic AAA console dev
>>
It had Iorveth. That's nice.
>>
>>376346936
Rendered completely obsolete by Witcher 3
>>
>>376346936
I kind of got in to it but once I got to the first hub town and did a few sidequests I lost interest. They have great nude models though
>>
>>376346936
It is the akward child of the series, but still good from my perspective.

if 1 was like a book, and 3 was like a tv show, 2 was like a play
>>
>>376347074
stay mad boy. your shit taste prevents you from enjoying the based witcher series. ask anyone who have a taste on v can confirm hearts of stone dlc literally one of the best things ever created.

at least I can give you some recommendation.
literally hang yourself
>>
>>376350367
I played the first shortly after the release of 2, and I enjoyed it but God damn is it full of jank. I have no idea why they changed so much for 2 instead of just improving it, and 3 is barely a shell of the first, but something from all of them would appeal to me.
>>
>>376347037
Did...did you play the same game as me? Either you are thinking of fucking Dragon Age or shitposting but I dont remember killing the same mob more than once in this game. About a 45 hour campaign playthough.
>>
>>376346936
They did a good job within the limitation, in terms of budget and team size.

The hub design is really well done and they managed to tell a story with two sides by re-using the same maps. Also you need to play them both to get the big picture.

The combat is a thorn in the back though. Wish Ni-Oh come sooner at that time, we might get a Witcher game with Ni-Oh combat.
>>
>>376346936
Buying gear is useless, once you kill the giant squid monster(which is the first boss) just use its armor for the rest of the game and never replace.
If something's apparently too hard to accomplish, don't accomplish it if you're skillful because you'll miss out on shit e.g. refusing to help that sorceress girl in Loc Muinne who betrayed everyone will result in you having to fight her and her mage friend which results in a couple lines of dialogue then the quest finishes whereas if you help her you get to do cool stuff like spy on other characters.
>>
>>376347686
>As far as I know, W3's combat is also not that great either
good job falling for a meme and missing out on the best game around, retard
>>
Best in the series.
>best graphics due to smaller areas
>best combat
>best writing
>best atmosphere
>>
>>376347686
3 has a functioning version of 2's combat
>>
File: w2.jpg (236KB, 974x2200px) Image search: [Google]
w2.jpg
236KB, 974x2200px
I bought the Collector's Edition and abandoned it as soon as Foltest was kill.
It plays like shit, the alchemy system was destroyed, the graphics are garish, the king's death cutscene is so D R A M A T I C for no reason...

I bought the third game cheap last month and it's better but the gameplay still blows. I kept hearing about muh quests but the act of actually PLAYING the game is awful, it's just a detective vision'em'up.

The first game's combat was fun, you had to get the timing right, the stances were brilliant, the alchemy system was fantastic (as it only cared about base substances not specific ingredients) and everything actually required some planning.
>>
>>376352168
Forgot to mention I tried to push through TW2 after they Enhanced it. Got to act III and again abandoned it, it still plays like shit.
They should make a Telltale style game because they're absolutely incompetent at anything except graphics and dialogue.
>>
>>376351936
>best graphics due to smaller areas
Nope.
>best combat
BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAH
>best writing
Subjective, but alright. 1 has the best writing.
>best atmosphere
Wrong.
>>
One of the shittiest user interfaces I have ever seen. It still upsets me just thinking about it. Thanks consoles.
>>
>>376351936
>best graphics
>best combat
>best writing
>best atmosphere

2 is an alright game but it's by far the worst in the trilogy.
>>
>>376346936
best title in the series.
>>
>>376346936
Westernized and deprived of any original atmosphere. In terms of story it was to the first game what the Ciri saga was to the first 2 Witcher books, aka fucking garbage. The game literally starts with Geralt working as a king's bodyguard, something so out of character it's infuriating. There are almost no Slav culture references, whole story feels like it was written by some fat American Game of Thrones fan. I hope the third game is better, but I just can't bring myself to try it after the shitfest W2 was.
I also liked W1 rhytmic combat, dunno why so many people hated it. Definitely better than W2's 'click X times to win'. And 3rd act was clearly rushed out and unfinished.
>>
>>376352493
>best combat
>BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAAH
not him, but can you explain what makes the combat in tw3 better than the one in tw2?
at least it was challenging compared to 3.
>>
>>376346936
It's fucking terrible. I realized this around the time around the time I completed the 3-act spanning side quest to get the best sword in the game, and after getting it the only thing left to do was the final quest.
>>
>>376346936
If you choose Roche, the game is awful. If you choose Iorveth, it's passable but still forgettable.
>>
>>376352883
>retarded backstab damage bonus
>you have no control over Geralt so he sometimes randomly leaps to the middle of enemies across the screen because why not right?
>potion effects are way too short meaning the whole idea of preparing for a fight is rendered pointless since you can't know when you're going to fight next or what you are going to fight (most of the times it's either gargoyles or harpies but still)
>>
>>376353085
wrong. I played both enjoyed roche's path most.
Iorveth = edgy teenager
Based Roche = real true nigga friend
also in roche's path lots of unique quests
>>
I really liked it. The dice game was shit compared to the first though
>>
>>376353367
as opposed to the thirds "hold attack to win" and the first "choose 1-3, then hold attack and win"?
It's a series known for it's bad combat, get real dude.
>>
>>376353085
This but the other way around. Vergen is just infuriatingly designed, and the Kaedweni camp has much more memorable quests.
>>
>>376353085
>>376353437
I chose Roche because he was a bro and Iorweth was an aggressive prick I felt no attachment to. I tried to replay the second chapter on Iorweth's side, but for some reason I couldn't enjoy it and dropped. But holy fuck devs punish you hard in 2nd chapter for chosing Roche, compared to Iorweth's 2nd chapter it's a fucking grimdark.
>>
>>376346936
Dropped it after killing the giant squid.
>>
>>376353678
Yes? At least it works and won't make you want to tear your hair out of from frustration. I don't see how 2 could have best combat when it's just the prototype of 3's combat.
>>
consolised garbage inferior to W1
>>
File: 1463026334769.jpg (33KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
1463026334769.jpg
33KB, 268x265px
>>376346936
I tried to get into it 3 times, only succeeded doing so after playing through W3, because I was invested enough in characters and story to stomach the gameplay. Because it's horrible. The enemies are tanky as hell even on easy and cease being so only in the late game with best gear, the combat feels shitty and your attacks have little impact. The game is clunky as hell with door loading screens everywhere and terrible looting. Contracts are mind numbingly boring.
The story is great though.
>>
TW2 is great. It's on par with TW1 and TW3.
The only reason people don't like it is that it's super hard to get into the first and second time, and it's so completely different from TW1. Once you know how to play the game it gets much, much better.

imo TW3 > TW2 = TW1
>>
>>376354303
this. patrician taste.
>>
File: 32135435435.jpg (22KB, 500x349px) Image search: [Google]
32135435435.jpg
22KB, 500x349px
>>376353085
>he chose the cuck path
>>
Unapologetically loved it
>>
>>376346936
pretty good day in his time, now not that much, it feels clunky as a mothefucker.
>>
>>376347252
>Witcher 2
>PC exclusive
Do you look up anything before you talk?
>>
>>376353085
Unironically this. People who claim otherwise think that the Roche/Ivoreth path is just "who do you like better" when in reality that wasn't the point. Both Roche and Ivoreth are unlikable cunts. Ivoreth is basically your enemy's enemy, you don't have to agree with his viewpoints in his path to follow him. He has the more interesting quests and the more interesting levels.

Roche is the ultimate nooby trap, from the start of the game you clearly see he's an incompetent fuck, it's because of him you weren't able to catch Letho right there and then in Chapter 1. To everyone who thinks you owe him anything you don't owe him jackshit.

>b-but Witcher 3 makes Roche likeable

That's a separate game and I didn't like how they turned Roche into a bro no matter what you did in TW2. It just smells like fan pandering to all the Roche sympathizers. Either way you should play both paths to get the full experience as it was intended.
>>
Witcher 1 was so bad it turned me off from ever looking at the other two games
>>
>>376355847
It was in 2011.
>>
>>376346936
10/10 for its time.
Still great looking and decent gameplay. Its too rough around the edges to be one of the best vidyas.
>>
Coming from witcher 1, i thought 2 was shit, to hard, got mad uninstall
>>
>>376346936
Good story, interesting minigames, shit combat.
8/10
>>
>>376346936
Better than Witcher 3.
>>
>>376353437
>Iorveth = edgy teenage
But cool. He ends up being vegeta-tier.
>>
>>376356845
elves must be destroyed. they see human inferior. they are real racists anon. also they did lots of genocide before humans. they started the war afterwards when humans started to shit their beautiful mouths then they cried like edgy iorveth xd.
>>
File: 1491497890323.jpg (154KB, 480x355px) Image search: [Google]
1491497890323.jpg
154KB, 480x355px
>>376346936
Has interesting characters, nice graphics and a few interesting quests. Combat is awful and the menus are clunky. It's mediocre at best, but at least it's not bad.

pic completely unrelated
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.