[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it called PSX instead of PS?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: '''PSX``` console.jpg (110KB, 1920x881px) Image search: [Google]
'''PSX``` console.jpg
110KB, 1920x881px
Why is it called PSX instead of PS?
>>
I called it the Playstation.
>>
>>376317707
>not being able to use google

pls leave
>>
>>376318689
I want a proper explanation, if you can't give it leave
>>
>>376319068
Nobody here owes you shit.
>>
>>376319068
>proper explanation
>/v/
>>
>>376317707
There were a few different things referred to as the PSX, including a device never released outside Japan and a catch-all name for all Playstation consoles. These days, it's just called the PS1 to keep it distinct from the PS2+ and the Playstation brand in general.

Most magazines just called it the PS back when it was active, although PSX was floated around as one of its many uses.
>>
>>376317707
Because it's not
>>
>>376317707
>no lesbians
I'm calling the cops.
>>
>>376317707
damn, what heated people we have this morning..It is NOW labeled the PSX because in 2003 there was a PS2/DVR machine released that was actually named PSX, which was intentionally named after the nickname given to the PS1. Google wears no capes
>>
>>376317707
The PlayStation was announced to the world as the "PSX" project, a code name that became popular and some magazines sticked with it, some magazines even titled themselves as PSX montly.

Also emulators are titled PSX as well, but nowadays not many will call it PSX because code names for video games are discarted as soon as the official name pops up, no one calls the Game Cube as Dolphin, nor Wii as Revolution, not even NX sticked once Switch came around.
>>
>>376317707
I like to think of it as way to differ it from a console Sony would potentially label as the Playstation 1 like Microsoft did, keeping the original playstation labeled as the PSX
>>
>>376317707
No reason for this thread to be this long but here check this out if you must.
https://www.nowgamer.com/a-history-of-console-codenames/
>>
>>376317707
Official Codename prior release.

PSX = Playstation
Dolphin = Gamecube

That's why emulators are named this way.
>>
I've never heard a single person call it a PSX in real life before, even when it was brand new. It's always been PlayStation or PS1.
>>
>>376320721
in retrospect this is true, but when actually speaking about it, its nonsensical to call it the PSX outloud
>>
>>376320721
Call it, as in speaking out loud, I didn't hear it back then, but there were some print mentions of it in magazines.
>>
>>376317707
PSX was it's code name
Same as the NX for the switch
Same as the Orbis for the PS4
Same as the revolution for the wii

The only difference is that American magazines/websites didn't know that and when the actual name the "Playstation" came about they kept calling it the PSX because "we're american, what we say is right you're all wrong"

It's the same as calling the switch the NX now.

It was always just called the playstation.
It only got an abbreviation when the PS2 came out. Even then it was PS1. the PSone was a different thing.

It's doubly retarded calling a PS1 a PSX because there already IS a console called a PSX. It's a PS2/DVR hybrid. So not only do you look like an idiot calling a console by it's prerelease codenamewhen you say PSX you're referring to a PS2.

But
>Muh magazines
>Muh websites
>Muh everyone called it that
>Muh uninformed vidya journalists
>>
>>376317707
Magic.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.