[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am afraid, lets talk about horror games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 11

File: 1494104093805.jpg (46KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494104093805.jpg
46KB, 480x480px
What makes a game scary for you anon? Is it the combat? Are clunky controls necessary? Is it the subtlety? Just small hints or sounds implying the horrifying fate of another person? Or brutal gore with blood dripping everywhere? Do you enjoy jumpscares? What is your ideal horror game?

My dream game would be a setting and combat of Dead Space with fever but deadlier monsters/humans and kind of a cyberpunk story of SOMA.
>>
>>376300265
I really think the most important thing is to do something unique that people can't expect. For example, Frictional has the right idea when they made Amnesia, nobody has really done a game in that "style" before, and it was pretty scary. However, since then they've just kept rehashing it in one form or another, including SOMA which was a huge letdown for me.

Another game I was disappointed with was Layers of Fear, after I heard everyone jizzing over how super scary it was I checked it out, and it fucking sucked, it just re-used the same old gimmick of "look away, then look back and something's changed". Yeah, that's cool if you only do it a few times at points where it has an impact, not if you do it at every possible opportunity. I got so frustrated with it that I'd spin the character around and skip entire sequences of "lol you have to look away and back several times".

I think the most important things in horror games are unpredictability and playing to our natural fear of the unknown. For example: PT did this really well, as although it had an overall structure and progression, there was lots of variance within it, producing a pseudo-unique experience every time. We need more games like that that aren't scripted, since you can play games like Dead Space and F.E.A.R which may be scary the first time, but then if you replay it you know where all the scares are and it doesn't affect you anymore.
>>
File: sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg (463KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sh1 1080p alt school door.jpg
463KB, 1920x1080px
>>376300265
>What makes a game scary for you anon?
To me, this translates to "what makes a good horror game", to which I'd reply:

-Great audio-design. The most important part of creating atmosphere, even more important than the graphics ever will be.

-Conservative use of gory elements and violence. This even more enhances the effect of those few times they may be used.

-Element of immersing the player. If s/he doesn't feel like being "there", but instead is observing a game -trying to "win", the result is failure. Thus things like minimal HUD and interesting locales / "puzzles" etc are important. Part of making the game immersive is also making the game's world interesting, make players want to explore them - even if it means exposing yourself for more horrors that lurk in the shadows.

-Similarily: playing with player's emotions and and understanding of the situation. One could summarize this as "mind-fuck". Giving fairly ordinary looking and feeling situations, maybe predictable looking event even, but somehow twisting and turning the whole situation upside down, boggling player's mind. This element truly is a work of art that not too many games get right, but what really makes good horror games shine through the rest. It can be little things, it can be pretty much anything, but you'll notice if its missing.

Controls have nothing to do with it, though I do know you're prolly hiding an implied message of disliking the "tank controls". Subtlety is the key for so many good things. Overdone blood and gore gets very dull quickly, and repeated jumpscares only result mental exhaustion and eventually boredom. They can be a neat extra spice if used sparingly.

>What is your ideal horror game?
remake of Silent Hill 1
>>
Something unkillable thats constantly hunting you, and you have to hide/run away from.

Bonus points for having to do puzzles or something similar while having to watch your back.

Alien isolation was easily the scariest game ive ever played because of this.
>>
>>376300862
sounds like you might love Silent Hill 4
>>
>>376300690
And also another thing is how the game handles player death. Another reason Layers of Fear sucked is because if you die, all that happens is you get sent slightly back, and it doesn't even take you a minute to get to where you were, so it's like, what's the point? What is there to be afraid of if I'm basically immortal and there's no real penalty for dying? That being said, I don't know how you'd do it well as I can imagine being really frustrated with a permadeath system, especially in a longer game. Maybe it's best to have some sort of gradual punishment, like your character becomes more disfigured the more you die, to a point where you're this hideous limping monstrosity (like you could look at yourself in a mirror and see a grotesque figure), and you have to cure yourself if you want to play normally again.
>>
File: time for death to die.jpg (10KB, 249x229px) Image search: [Google]
time for death to die.jpg
10KB, 249x229px
>>376301341
>what's the point?
To appeal to these modern beta-cuck SJW ADHD "gamers".
>>
what's a horror game with replayability and maybe open-endedness?
>>
There has to be some kind of gameplay-related threat. Once you get used to the scary parts you grow numb to it unless you risk something actually happening in the game.
Like, if the monsters in Amnesia catch you you get sent back to the start of the room - perhaps the room before that. You lose out on 1-2 minutes of game and that's it. That's not a threat to the player. That made me try to sprint through rooms and try to outrun monsters, since the price of getting caught wasn't high at all.
Compare that to Alien: Isolation, where saving points can be far from each other and death is very swift. Once you're moving into unknown territory you're much more on guard, since you don't know when you can save again and you risk losing everything you've done up until the last save point. The alien becomes a much bigger threat.

Doesn't have to be save points - letting the player lose health or items or something also works. Just don't do a jump scare that doesn't actually do anything, or do 10 damage that doesn't matter at all in the long run. Let the player fear what the monster can do to him, instead of letting failure be a small slap on the wrist. That kills any feeling of vulnerability.
>>
>>376301583
>replayability
The original RE and SH games up to #4.
Got dozens of playthoughs put to SH1 alone.
RE1 / REmake and first Silent Hill also pack a decent amount of nonlinearity, even if you need to perform tasks to proceed.

Might just as well use this chance to re-post the neat SH PC Guide + the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.
You can now see some decent emulator settings for SH1 as well in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Also give the new PGXP emulator a shot for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.
>>
>>376301735
yeah i've played silent hills 1-4 on playstation and it's true they have some replayability

but something like resident evil i could not replay maybe due to monsters being gay and anxious atmosphere
>>
File: r.png (66KB, 556x370px) Image search: [Google]
r.png
66KB, 556x370px
My favorites are the ones that starts off like a normal, friendly game. After some time, the tone starts to change into something you don't expect.

Pic related.
>>
spooky/lonely atmosphere

enemies with intelligent behavior, tracking the player from a distance, waiting for the player to be vulnerable, sneaking, retreating, etc.
>>
Alien Isolation is the best horror game i've ever played.
>>
>>376301819
>but something like resident evil i could not replay maybe due to monsters being gay and anxious atmosphere
>monsters being gay
are you literally 12? Nobody talks like that.
And how come you can replay SH games, but not the run&gun splatterfests that are RESIs??
>>
>>376302012
whatever memories of resident evil i have from my childhood mostly include gay bosses, gay lickers, gay yellow stretching guys all of which are bullshit

also action horror is worse than horror
>>
>>376302093
please stop posting.
>>
>>376301996

https://youtu.be/Pt1o1lb0kEw

How can others horror games even compete ?
>>
>>376300690
>For example, Frictional has the right idea when they made Amnesia, nobody has really done a game in that "style" before, and it was pretty scary.
You're an underage piece of shit. Hide and seek simulators were always a thing. Clock Tower, there was the Penumbra trilogy literally made by Fritioncal Games. Dumbass faggot. Hide and seek simulators appeal to the lowest common denominator.

You need combat to make a game scary. Hide and seek simulators are predictable because there are only ever two options; run or hide. The enemy AI in Amnesia was basic as fuck, because the game was intended for simpletons. You've convinced yourself the game is scary because of meme Let's Players pretending it's scary. Silent Hill or Resident Evil are scary because when you see a horrific monster you have to actually consider the possibility of engaging it in combat and dealing with it directly. Amnesia, Outlast, etc are never scary because you know as soon as the enemy appears it's either look the for the nearest cupboard / locker to hide in or run.

Alien Isolation is the only good hide and seek simulator. SCP Containment Breach is excellent, despite lacking combat because the enemy encounters don't solely rely on running / hiding, the enemies have gimmicks which you have to work around to survive.

Basically shut the fuck up, you clearly know nothing about the horror genre.
>>
>>376300862
>Something unkillable thats constantly hunting you, and you have to hide/run away from.
Underage.
>>
>>376302418
>I read the first line of the post and decided to sperg out and make baseless assumptions
kys my man
>>
>>376302526
I read the whole post, the person is underage as fuck. He literally thinks Amnesia is responsible for hide and seek simulators. Not that it's an intelligent genre to begin with, but Amnesia is one of the worst examples of it.

The fact that he's bothering to critique trash like SOMA or Layers of Fears shows how much of a retard he is. Youtube Let's Player bait, these are horror games made for the lowest common denominator. Then he actually bothers to try and point out the flaws of Dead Space and FEAR, ACTION ORIENTATED horror games. They aren't very scary? Yeah, no shit, why the fuck would you even assume they are?
>>
>>376302659
You seriously need to chill out.
>>
>>376302418

reread the post you just made and think for a second.

Was my over the top rude attitude and insults necessary to conveying my thoughts on the matter?

Did I give other people's thoughts and opinions a chance to at least understand them, even if I don't agree with them?

Did I create a good, sensible message that can be used to express my thoughts or share my opinion?

If you can't answer yes to all three questions, you need to go back to second grade and learn how to communicate.
>>
File: 1466354882784.png (448KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466354882784.png
448KB, 1280x720px
>>376302659
>He literally thinks Amnesia is responsible for hide and seek simulators.
But it is actually responsible for the hide and seek simulators?
>>
I really love when a game always randomizes monster locations so you never know what's going to happen. When there is only a probability that a certain monster will enter the room after you used a bench in what was considered a safe room just a few seconds ago.

>>376300765
Very good post. I agree on most points.

>Controls have nothing to do with it, though I do know you're prolly hiding an implied message of disliking the "tank controls".
Not at all. I was raised on Dino Crisis 2 and RE2 and 3 so I am actually a fan. I think when the player character is hard to control it translates well into the element of horror. The monsters are fast, deadly and you are a scared pussy Macgyvering the shit out of environment just to survive, not a special commando filled with nanomachines and exoskeleton. That's why I love Dead Space and am not a fan of Dead Space 3. The protagonist in the first two games is slow and weak and uses mining tools to cut the limbs off of monsters, while the third game gives you military weapons combined with crowd control and the hard to aim limbs are not even needed to take the monsters down.

>>376300862
This kind of shit gives me rush. When a monster is chasing me and I cannot stop for a second but proceed from one area to the next, that's giving me a hard time. And when you finally kill the monster it's an amazing accomplishment and catharsis to all the chasing moments. I love it.

>>376301341
I miss save points with a limited but fair currency (like ink in RE). You are more afraid when you know a bad decision is very punishing because you haven't saved for a while. Interesting idea about progressive punishment. How would this translate to gameplay mechanics?
>>
>>376302789
Clock Tower. It's hilarious you bother to credit Frictional Games for making Amnesia, the first ever hide and seek simulator when FRICTIONAL GAMES already made the Penumbra series, moron.

>>376302724
I dislike underage retards spouting garbage analysis's on /v/.

>>376302776
There's nothing to disagree with, what the poster posted was completely fucking wrong on all accounts.
>>
>>376301991
Tell me more about your game anon.
>>
>>376300265
Two major factors:
A) a subject mater or symbolic reference to actually terrifying real world themes or concepts. A good horror talks about things you should be scared of in real-world, just through often symbolic language.
B) a consistent tension between predictable and unpredictable systems. If a game follows its own rules (both mechanical and narrative ones) too carefully, it becomes predictable and thus stops being scary. If it breaks the rules too often, it ironically becomes also too predictable (in that it's going to be random again) and loses tension again.
Maintaining a good balance between being predictable and being able to pull the rug from under you is the single most important aspect of any really efficient horror. Player must be unsure of his agency over the situation, and his ability to make correct assumptions. UNSURE, that is not that he must lack if entirely.

>Is it the combat?
Combat is definitely not the important thing here. Combat can be used in conjunctions with the rules above, but combat alone is just another set of many, many possible mechanics used to inspire horror.

>Are clunky controls necessary?
NO, AND WHO EVER EVER THOUGHT CLUNKY CONTROLS ARE A CONDITION OF A HORROR NEEDS TO BE SHOT. It's one of the fucking dumbest ideas ever concieved by man.

>Is it the subtlety?
Subtlety is generally a good way to increase involvement of a player within any fiction, so yeah, I expect it to be part of it. Generally, subtlety is again related to the unpredictability condition of fear.

>Or brutal gore with blood dripping everywhere?
Nope. Gore without context, contrasts and subtlety loses meaning and impact.

>Do you enjoy jumpscares?
No. Jumpscare is a cheap tactic, and while they can be forgiven if used sparcely, in themselves they are never enjoyable.
>>
>>376302418
>You need combat to make a game scary. Hide and seek simulators are predictable because there are only ever two options; run or hide.
I agree with this. When you have combat you have to decide whether to waste precious resources that took you so long to amass and then you risk not having enough later. That's why I never played Amnesia, hide and seek is just offputting for me.

Tone it down a bit anon, lets have a civil discussion about the best genre, okay?
>>
>>376302842
>Interesting idea about progressive punishment. How would this translate to gameplay mechanics?
At a first pass I sort of imagined it like how I posted, say you start off as a normal human, but then the more you die the more fucked up your appearance becomes, like your eyes start dangling out of their sockets and messing up your vision, your leg breaks or grows to some humongous elephant-man type thing so you have to shuffle along at a slower pace. So basically instead of just respawning like nothing happened you respawn but with some deficiency that affects your gameplay and appearance. Maybe in a sci fi setting where you can create clones of yourself but the more you do it the more mutated you become.
>>
>>376302910
There were not much hide and seek simulators between Clock Tower, a game which "made" the genre, and Amnesia, a game which made the subgenre popular as fuck, Penumbra was a thing, but it mostly got overlooked by everyone.
Clock Tower had much less influence on the genre than Amnesia did, anyway.
>>
>>376303110
The poster literally said "no one had ever done a game in that style before", which people had done, many times before.
>Amnesia, a game which made the subgenre popular as fuck
To underage Let's Plays watching kiddies who didn't know any better. But people who actually like and enjoy horror games were already aware of this concept. Again, the poster literally says in his post Amnesia was the first ever hide and seek simulator.

Improve your reading comprehension.
>>
File: truffle.jpg (85KB, 1600x1061px) Image search: [Google]
truffle.jpg
85KB, 1600x1061px
>>376302910
First Ever =/= Became really popular and spawned billions of clones.
WoW wasn't the first MMO either, but it is THE ONE that you use in pop culture and when comapring to other MMOs (the next wow killer).
It doesn't even have to be the best.
Similar case with ASSFAGGOTS and Dota2; Card-collectors and Heartstone.
>>
>>376303229
>First Ever =/= Became really popular and spawned billions of clones.
The poster didn't say Amnesia made hide and seek simulators popular. The poster said Amnesia was the first game of it's kind.

Autist.
>>
>>376303210
>the poster literally says in his post Amnesia was the first ever hide and seek simulator.
No it doesn't? Can you just leave this thread, you're contributing nothing and pissing everyone off.
>>
>>376303310
>nobody has really done a game in that "style" before
Fucking rek'd. You're so butthurt that your arguments were humiliated, leave /v/ forever kid.
>>
>>376300690
Aside from the retarded point about Amnesia being the first of that "style", I do think the point of variance is actually worth something. But I'd like to add that in games like RE4, which is barely a horror game, my biggest fears, especially in later playthroughs, was knowing what was ahead. If it really is dangerous, knowing what's coming can be terrifying.

That said, the only time the game really gave me a heart attack was after about five playthroughs, when a random dude who I didn't know about on the base grabbed me from the side. I thought I knew every enemy coming but this guy had somehow evaded me through every playthrough until that one.
>>
I have a hard time becoming immersed in horror games unless they introduce surreal themes or subvert my expectations. Games like Alien Isolation and SOMA don't do anything for me because I have already seen a lot of what they do in other forms of media.

Human slaughterhouses and gross body disfigurement with machines seems to terrify me the most nowadays. The idea that people can be reduced to a commodity, facing inescapable and gruesome death is fascinating. Amnesia: a Machine for Pigs tried to touch on this but never went anywhere substantial with it. SOMA had some unique body horror too but a lot of that was interrupted by the shitty camera effects whenever you looked directly at one of the monsters.

Jump scares are the absolute worst form of horror unless they build off of tension that already exists in the game. Combat should be present only so long as the player feels helpless. Clunky controls annoy the shit out of people.
>>
File: roo.jpg (90KB, 594x600px) Image search: [Google]
roo.jpg
90KB, 594x600px
>>376303268
>He literally thinks Amnesia is responsible for hide and seek simulators.
>But it is actually responsible for the hide and seek simulators?
>the post isn't even about fucking being responsible for a subgenre, just talking about style.
Lear to read moron. Can't speak english - stop posting.
>>
>>376300690
>SOMA
SOMA has a redeeming quality in story and environments though. It's clear they put much love into this game.
>>
>>376303781
>nobody has really done a game in that "style" before
When he says style he obviously means hide and seek simulator, that's the only "style" the fucking game has. Guess what? Many games had been done in that "style" before. Get lost kiddo.
>>
File: quake4-07.jpg (48KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
quake4-07.jpg
48KB, 500x375px
>>376303423
Love machine body horror. Maybe you should watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md8SmYeCeL8

Also SOMA was top-tier
>>
>>376303908
Saved, thanks anon.
>>
Why are devs not making more horror games today? You would think horror is the best streaming gamer bait there is and if you make an AAA game there is free marketing for millions of people.
>>
>>376304420
Because streaming bait does not sell as good as you'd expect. And because oddly enough, despite being frequently talked about, horror is still a niche genre with (relatively) niche appeal. It's just not all that financially rentable.
>>
>>376300265
Chase sequences are honest to god the scariest thing ever for me.
>>
>>376304420

Devs ARE making horror today, just smaller devs and indies, not big names companies.

The amnesia crew, FN@Fs, tons of indie games, and many more.
>>
>>376304658
But it's quite cheap to make a game today. UE4 is for free until you are making profit so a very small team can do it as a side job and hope the streamers will pick it up no?

>>376304891
I only know about Routine anon. What are some other recent games worth a shot?
>>
>>376305752
>But it's quite cheap to make a game today.
So, I have to wonder. Why are you people who have literally ZERO actual awareness or knowledge of the industry just going around passing judgments as if you knew what the fuck are you talking about?

Like: seriously. You cannot be unaware that you really don't know anything about the subject matter. What kind of twisted, fucked up logic will make you think "well, I still can trust my own gut feeling on this and I should totally go around making claims as if I knew what the fuck am I talking about?

No, game developent is not cheap today. It's much more expensive than it ever was, especially in non-indie quality circles.
>>
>>376305938
Outside AAA it's not expensive, just time consuming. You have all the tools you need for free. There are tutorials made by people who had to go through all the shit before they found the things that work. The amount of time is insanse but if you manage to put a small team together it's doable. Hell even one man projects are a possibility if you keep it real.

Making a game like The Last of Us with motion capture and things like that? Yeah that's something else.
>>
I'm gonna borrow Echo Night and Forbidden Siren from a friend, are they any good?
>>
>>376305938
>Like: seriously.
Because, despite not having any real involvement in that process, we can draw from our experience as consumers and make appropriate conclusions. This idea that only creators of a product can properly judge said product is a fallacy.
>>
>>376306413
>Outside AAA it's not expensive, just time consuming.
So, first of all:
"Outside of AAA". Actually, what you mean is "within indie scene", because shit is expensive even on mid-level development.
Second of all, "just time consuming" actually means that it IS EXPENSIVE. Because unless you are making the damn game by yourself of with your brother, you'll gonna have to PAY FOR THE TIME OTHERS TAKE TO MAKE THE BLOODY THING. The absolutely most expensive part of any contemporary game production is asset production. And it actually ALWAYS has been like that, nothing has changed about that, and likely nothing will.

>You have all the tools you need for free.
So, again: first of all: They are not. They are free to mess around and for non-comercial use. They are expensive as fuck if you want to use them commercially. Using Unity or Unreal engine for a commercial products is an investment depending on the aimed scale in hundreds to thousands of dollars - additional software, access to various libraries and and more advanced tutorials are also price-y, actually.
Second of all, the tools were never the real main problem. Assets and experience in using those tools have always been. And this does start being a major problem basically the very second you wander outside of 2D and highly simplistic games.

>>376306683
Clearly, you can't. And this is not about "only creator can judge a product". This is about "only a person who at least fucking talked to a game developer, publisher or an economist who had worked or came into more regular contact with withe industry about the real costs in production can judge COST OF PRODUCTION OF VIDEOGAMES YOU GOD DAMN FUCKING IDIOT."
>>
>>376306931
>And this is not about "only creator can judge a product".
Sorry. You were being so abrasive that I tuned out the rest of your post subconsciously. I most often hear this sort of logic from Star Citizen backers which is why I assumed the rest of your argument.

Regardless, my point still stands. If you can't understand it then you have no right to act like a snide asshole about anything.
>>
>>376306931
You don't have to pay upfront. If a small team agrees to do it for royalty you are only risking the investment of your time.

>They are expensive as fuck if you want to use them commercially.
But they aren't anon. You have to pay only after first $3000 in earnings if you use UE4. Assets are time consuming.

Look at Routine. The team behind it has 4 people. If you are willing to prolong the development process you can have a job and do this as your side thing. It's doable.
>>
>>376306640
Forbidden siren is good. Not sure about Echo Night.
>>
File: Tamon Takeuchi.jpg (40KB, 491x1580px) Image search: [Google]
Tamon Takeuchi.jpg
40KB, 491x1580px
>>376306640
>Forbidden Siren
It is a strange game. It's extremely clunky and some requirements are so obscure you have to look at guide. But man, when you finally understand its mechanics and immerse yourself it becomes one of the greatest horror games. The second game has superior monster designs and a much better gameplay, but I felt it was a bit weaker in its atmosphere. Still, it's a great game. Its use of phototextures on characters' faces is amazing.

Also, Tamon best protag.
>>
>>376303838
SOMA felt like an Outer Limits episode. Specifically Think Like a Dinosaur.
>>
>>376307428
>But they aren't anon. You have to pay only after first $3000 in earnings if you use UE4. Assets are time consuming.

>thinks a game engine is the only tool you need to develop an AAA game

Note that many licenses are also paid per-seat, so an AAA studio with 50 3D modellers will end up spending a fuckton of money just on the 3D modelling tools. I work at an indie game studio and even we have to spend quite a lot of money on software licenses.

>Photoshop
>Illustrator
>Unity
>3DS Max
>3D Coat
>FMOD Studio
>ReSharper
>ZBrush
>Facerig
>Sony Vegas
>a metric ton of small 3D modelling/graphics/audio tools I don't even know about because I mostly focus on programming
>>
>>376309630
Why Facerig?
>>
>>376300265
To me, What makes a horror game scary is the look of it. Stuff like Silent Hill 1 are actually scary to me because of how low budget it looks. This is not an insult to Silent Hill 1, because I find games that look like actual madmen could make in their basements more scarier to me.

Bigger budget horror games never made sense to me because they always looked like rollercoaster rides, most of them never truly scared me. I guess 3D low poly horror games just do it for me.
>>
>>376310008
For facial animation
>>
>>376310137
Can you give me an example? I have only ever seen it used for twitch streamers.
>>
>>376310198
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z86YsS-pVsQ
>>
>>376309630
>even we have to spend quite a lot of money on software licenses
Nobody will come after you if you do it as a side job and don't have the licence. You can always buy them later.
>>
>>376307428
>You don't have to pay upfront. If a small team agrees to do it for royalty you are only risking the investment of your time.
Again. What the fuck drives you to post this bullshit if you CLEARLY DON'T HAVE even most basic actual pratical experience with the industry.
You PAY SALARIES. You don't fucking convince people to work for free for several years. You don't pay upfront, you pay monthly. You know: salary. I understand that most of you fucks never ever worked in your life, but you should have at least heard that other people go to work and get paid once every month. The way you do this - even with small teams, like Supergiant back when working on Bastion, is that you either take your savings, or a loan, and you work off that hoping that you'll have enough to last before the game is done.
But nobody, nobody professional is going to work with you for years if you can't fucking pay them.
>>
>>376311854
>you can't do this
>you can only do what I tell you is possible
Fuck you.
>>
>>376311854
How you manage to live your day to day life without somebody repeatedly slamming your head in a car door astonishes me.
>>
>>376311978
Look, I understand that what I might be asking you here to do is probably an impossible cognitive step to take, but this is not what YOU think and what I think, and how you are angry and need to feel like you are right and it insults you that other people suggest you aren't: this is about what I KNOW, which is to say about what is truth, based on experiences of those who had DONE IT ALREADY.

This is not something I'm making up: this is translation of several hundred of interviews, articles, analysis and other medial representations of hundreds of people who had spend decades in the fucking industry. God damn how fucking deranged are you people? You literally do not understand that this is not about personal weight of opinion, but about simple, pratical knowledge?

I don't give two fucks that you don't like what I'm saying. It's the truth, or at least the most accurate approximation of truth. Now fuck off. Go read actual materials and experiences by people who had worked in the industry. Read several hundred of them so you can get a decent idea of what is a complete statistical anomaly. Contact the people, ask them personally. ACTUALLY DO RESEARCH. Then we'll talk.
Until then, you are completely deranged, clueless retard talking out of you ass.
>>
>>376312516
If you are just a few guys you can do it as a side thing and have a regular job.
>>
>>376301341
I remember being forced to load a 30 min old save on RE1 because i wasted too much ammo and i knew it was going to bite me in the ass later.
Thats a good way to keep you on your toes. Actual risk.
>>
>>376312982
>If you are just a few guys you can do it as a side thing and have a regular job.
Yeah, try developing anything else than a completely shallow 2D minigame while working a regular fucking job you idiot. I fucking dare you moron: DO IT.
Or maybe, just maybe, next time ask those who tried something it? Insane, I know, completely fucking insane suggestion that you learn from those how had an actual experience...
>>
>>376313672
Post proof of experience.
>>
>>376313624
I love shit like that but I don't think the current generation of "gamers" would play anything like it.
>>
File: crapcom.jpg (80KB, 500x513px) Image search: [Google]
crapcom.jpg
80KB, 500x513px
>>376300265
ANYTHING
THAT'S
NOT
A
FUCKING
FIRST-PERSON
JUMP-SCARE
COPY
PASTA
>>
There is an indie game let you play a medium, you went from places to places and used your recorder as a mean to detect paranormal stuff.

Forgot its name but I saw some gameplay and the game is about to get a sequel. The demo looks pretty cool.
>>
What the FUCK is wrong with 4chan now?
>>
>>376317281
What do you mean anon
>>
>>376318673
Connection errors on any post above 150 words...
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.