[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games that make you feel powerful?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg (53KB, 256x330px) Image search: [Google]
Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg
53KB, 256x330px
Games that make you feel powerful?
>>
>>376289521
Do you really feel that powerful in Dark Souls? For most of the game you fight creatures that can quite easily kill you. There's a sense of progression but you never really become 'that' powerful.

The Baldur's Gate or Gothic series have a stronger sense of progression, where you start as a literal shit that can be murdered by anything and end up super powerful at the end. This of course breaks the difficulty of the game to some extent, but it's part of the experience.
>>
>>376289753
If you git gud you can feel kinda powerful in DS
>>
>>376289990
Under that premise you can feel powerful in any game where you get good at. The point is that your character does not progress past the point where nothing can harm him and he can easily dispatch anything. It always heavily depends on your own input and is thus not a property of the game itself.
>>
>>376290258
I guess we just have different definitions of feeling powerful. I felt powerful in DS even when getting beaten just due to the aesthetic of being a dude wielding big swords. Similar feeling in the Witcher 3
>>
>>376290464
Have you played Baldur's Gate or Gothic? Maybe you haven't experienced feeling really powerful yet?
>>
>>376290534
I've not played either of those games. I'll have to check them out.
>>
>>376290584
Keep in mind that both games will kick your ass harder than Dark Souls at the beginning and you will feel completely powerless. That is part of the experience which makes the later power trip even more rewarding as it feels like you've earned it to kick everyone's ass after having eaten so much dirt in the beginning.
>>
Morrowind is pretty good. You end up flying everywhere and one hit killing everything.

Someone post the pic of the guy who beat Ur so hard the game crashed.
>>
Monster Hunter
>>
>>376289753
Dark Souls makes you feel powerful by making it necessary to exercise that power to win. It isn't satisfying if you feel powerful by everything becoming ants around you. It is satisfying to feel powerful when you take down ancient gods who should by all rights see you as the ant.
>>
>>376291000
In my opinion it doesn't do that great of a job though because taking down these gods involves hopping through their slow-ass attacks in invincibility frames, hugging their backs, hitting them a bunch of times and then repeating the whole process. The game is clearly stacked in your favour, with the monsters being merely challenges you overcome through learning patterns.

In the other games the games follow a more RPG-ish development, where it's not you who grows stronger but your character. And if your character would not grow stronger he would have no chance to defeat his adversaries as they follow the same rules as everyone else and would easily beat you otherwise.
>>
Bloodborne makes you feel more powerful. Instead of some undying piece of pepperoni which humans, lords and beasts have been culling and locking up for hundreds, if not thousands of years, you play as a hunter, which everyone is scared of, who have a reputation for killing big vicious things.

In terms of gameplay, the hunter feels more powerful with it's guns and viscerals than the backstabs and the parries of the undead.

Not to say they aren't both great games, just for the sake of the topic of this thread.
>>
File: 1493789464867.jpg (8KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
1493789464867.jpg
8KB, 251x201px
>>376291710
Bloodborne seems great but
>ps4 exclusive
>poorfag
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.