[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 40

File: factorio.jpg (337KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
factorio.jpg
337KB, 1600x900px
Thoughts?
>>
I like trains.
>>
>>376229607
I always wondered if the enemies were a real challenge or just there to pretend the game is not an autismo simulator.
>>
Has the huge graphics update(high resolution textures, I think) come out yet?
>>
>>376229607
Fun as hell, just wish I knew what the fuck I should be doing.
>>
>>376229907
Mostly the latter.

They're mainly a challenge in that by default they're faster than the PC, and swarm infinitely.

So, they can and will kill you if you don't have a wall of turrets.

They slowly get more powerful, but a wall of laser turrets will hold them pretty indefinitely.
>>
>>376229907
They're definitely not a challenge. The game has no challenges. You need to heavily mod it before you start coming across any.
>>
File: Assembly line.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Assembly line.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
I've been playing this game at every opportunity I could find for the past four or five months. It's like fucking crack, and one of the best games I've played in a decade.
That said, it can frustrate the everliving fuck out of me.

>>376229907
> an autismo simulator.
Those words have literally no meaning.
As for your actual question, that largely depends on how you set up your game. Customization is a big deal in factorio, especially since 0.15 rolled in and you can tweak individual aspects of the bitter evolution mechanics.

Generally speaking though, in vanilla the enemies should not pose much of a challenge - just force you to be vigilant, but not really seriously threatening you unless you fuck up really badly. You can increase their Evolution rate, the speed at which they spawn and things like that to make things more interesting, but generally speaking they are fairly predictable and gradually grow into more of a nuisance than any actual real threat.

Mods, however, can change that. Fast. I've just spent 20+ hours on a new game with Bob's Warfare, Angel's mods and Rampant A.I. , and slightly sharper Bitter settings, and I'm seriously thinking I might have to restart, because I just can't hold on to my base. It's getting out of hand quickly. Rampant A.I. in particular improves the bitter A.I. drastically and it changes things around a LOT.
It has downsides. Until the mod-maker re-enables safe setting for rails and long-reach electric poles, expansion and extensive rail-networks are basically impossible to build with Rampant.

>>376230086
They added the basis of that in 0.15, but they don't have high-res models for most of the items, so so far only a handful of them have been upgraded. They promise to gradually convert all of the assets into HD over the course of next few months...
>>
>>376230975
The game does not have stop-walls which does not mean the same as that it lacks in challenge. Not ever notion of challenge has to come from a "game over" screen.
That said, yeah. Bitters in vanilla are probably not going to be too much of a hindrance.
>>
File: factorio.jpg (172KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
factorio.jpg
172KB, 1280x1024px
I always wondered what the fuck i do with the ores you see near the base
they are not too far to build a entire system of rails but they are too near to build some logistic robots, and they are somewhat slow, i dont know what to do
>>
Did they implement a feature that allows you to plan the layout of your base yet? Or am I supposed to build a shitty first base, and then build a proper one after getting settled?
>>
>>376231430
Conveyor belt system?
>>376231665
There are blueprints which are built by robot constructors, but mostly, yes the game is building a shitty base, then redesigning it to be less shitty.
Multiple times.
>>
>>376231430
Use RSO. Seriously, that is one mod they should have intergrated (at least as optional) into the vanilla game and they hadn't.
Alternatively, you can just tweak the settings (something like the Railworld preset they currently offer), but even then I found the resources spawning too close to each other.

I usually recommend people to avoid most mods until they really played a lot of vanilla Factorio, but RSO is the ONE exception, and the ONLY MUST HAVE mod for the damn game.

>>376231665
Well, partially. You can build ghost structures (you could do that since long time ago). They also provided a blueprint library in which you can share blueprints between games and you can use them from the beggining of the game, so you can make pre-sets of blueprints now and use those to plan out your base beforehand.

But you'll probably still need a simpler start-out setup just to get the materials and items for later setups.
The only way to avoid all of this is mods, like the TinyStart and TinyMarathonStart that will even provide you with some starting equipment as well as personal roboport and 20 build bots that will allow you to basically skip the coal and spagetti stage and have everything you'll need pretty much for green science and forward. But they are basically like cheating, so...
>>
>>376231737
>Conveyor belt system?
That isn't slow too?
>>
>>376231430
Logistic robots are NEVER efficient for hauling large quantities of materials. You can do with one yellow belt what you could do with 20+ logistic robots - it's just never cost efficient.

Just build belts. If you think the throughput is too slow, just add more belts. Speed of the bet itself isn't important, through-put is. And you can easily increase throughput by adding lines. Four-lines, eight lines if necessary. It's always cheaper to use multiple-lines of slower belts than less lines of faster ones, by the way.

Or, alternatively, just use RSO as somebody recommended.
>>
>>376232056
Then keep the ore as a pretty little rock garden.

Maybe put in a happy little bush.
>>
>>376231737
>>376231986
Alright, I see. I could imagine coming up with some modular base blueprints to save time and stuff.

To be honest I mostly feel the game to be a bit lonely, just like Space Engineers.
>>
>>376231078
No, there really is no challenge. The solution to absolutely everything in the vanilla game, from running short on production to capturing large areas of land, is just "build more stuff". There's no challenge in that, just tedium. Factorio is the most tedious game I've ever played.
>>
>>376232537
Yeah, you can essentially pre-produce modular setups in some later-game save as blueprints, save them, then start a new game and just start placing them to save yourself a lot of time on new starts. Using TinyStart and starting with Roboport also helps a lot - since I've started over about fifteen times, I can really appreciate the option to skip placing my smelting-collums inserter-by-inserter. I would not recommend it to anyone who has not played a lot of the game already though.

>>376232832
There is quite a lot of wrong with this post. It's a game about optimization. If the game is slow or getting tedious, you are probably playing it wrong, and there are almost always new options to improve your setups, make things more efficient.
Not to mention the fact that it takes usually around 30 hours just to get the hang of most mechanics. Yeah, after you got to the late game once or twice, things can start to descend into routines and that can get a little boring, but by that time you've probably already played like 50+ hours at least, and it's the point where different settings or mods come in. Or self-imposed challenges.
>>
>>376232537
>>376231665
You can place "ghost" images of structures by shift+clicking, which allows you to plan a big base as long as you have one of each item you plan to use in its construction. In order to blueprint, you have to actually build the base first; it's essentially a "copy paste" mechanic, so it doesn't work if you don't have anything to copy.

The robots that build shit for you are midgame so you'll be placing all your shit manually for the first half of the game, though.
>>
They seem to think that piling on more content = more depth. I think it's exactly the other way around. Without shit like electric inserters and underground belts you have to put a lot more thought into your design

Still a pretty good game worth the money
>>
>>376233156
>It's a game about optimization.
You could play from start to finish haphazardly placing things without caring about optimization or efficiency. "It's about optimization" is a 100% self-imposed rule, and you can make any game "challenging" with self-imposed rules. You could decide to have a playthrough where you don't destroy any alien nests and only use solar power. I'm sure that would be a challenge, but that doesn't mean the game itself is challenging.
>>
>>376234612
>playthrough where you don't destroy any alien nests
Except that you need to for Alien Research Juice to launch the rocket and finish the playthrough.
>>
>>376234862
Not anymore
>>
>>376234612
First of all: no. You really could not. If you fuck up your logistics, it does not matter that you pile up more stuff, you are still going to progress at an absolute snail pace. In fact - and this is something I somewhat dislike about the vanilla game in later stages, is that it essentially devolves into endless ballancing and ratio-counting act.

Second of all, it's a 100% self-imposed rule that you want to get better at any game. So that is one really shitty argument to present. Some games slow you down by forcing you to repeat the same segments. Factorio does not face you with a screen that spells out "you lost", and does not force you to repeat the same action, but instead just slows you down until you had figured out a better solution.
Again, a comparison can be made to adventure games. Most adventure games can be eventually solved by literally just randomly clicking on everything and combining every item with every other item, but that does not mean that they lack challenge.

Just because it does not hold your hand and carefully take you to the place saying: "See this thing. This is where you fucked up. So here you have another try, do it again" does not mean that it does not punish stupid and thoughtless behavior, and reward careful and thoughtful one.

Of course, if you have a problem of finding joy in figuring out how to make things better and to improve your own creations, then it's not a game for you. But it's not a fault of the game, a lack of design ideas or careful implementation - it's that you just need much more controlling and hand-holding design in your games. That is not necessarily a bad thing, mind you. This is not an attack or insult towards you. But you should realize that it's also not a fault of the game either.
>>
>>376230086
Texture packs are literally the easiest thing to install
>>
>>376229675
Same
>>
>>376237076
The trains are awesome and the system is great, but honestly, without at least some rudimentary mods, they are criminally unecessary in the vanilla game. Seriously, without RSO you'll probably never need to build more than one or two train-lines to haul raw resources into your main base and that is all.

This is why I REALLY like Angel+Bob. Because in the mid-to-late game, it's basically impossible to build your base without having extensive rail-road network hauling mid-products between specialized factories. It's really rather amazing fun.
>>
>>376229607

It's a fun game but needs more content at the end. Aliens should be a bigger threat.
>>
>>376237472
Mods solve that. The alien threat, that is.

But yeah, Factorio feels like a fantastic platform that does not live up to it's full potential. I've always argued that while game really nails the first half of the equation (production), what it really lacks is the second one, supply and demand.

To me, the best way to lead Factorio is towards spending and market systems, where you have to adjust your production to some forms of ever-evolving demands.
That said, the developers said that they have no such plans to do anything like that, pretty much simply because they are really fed-up with that game, and just want to polish it and ship it, and doing any major changes to the end game, introducing actual markets for your products etc... would be another 3+ years of hard work that they really don't feel like investing anymore.
Shame. Thankfully the mods can add a lot.
>>
>>376230975
Ah so you played the deathworld difficulty setting and got bored?
>>
I'm scared of trains and logistics bots and I keep starting over right when I need to start using them
>>
Just finished playing it. Amazing addictive game but the late game is a fucking chore. In early and middle game you mostly create but in late game you just maintain what you already made and do a chore things such as making resource hubs. I played with railworld presets and after finishing nuclear bomb technology my resourse hubs were drained and I had to create twice more to satisfy increased needs. After thinking for a few seconds I just alt+f4'd.
>>
File: 123.png (379KB, 1894x1082px) Image search: [Google]
123.png
379KB, 1894x1082px
>>376239501
Forgot pic
>>
>>376239501
Yeah, and that is still mostly just vanilla. To be honest, the game is best ballanced for 2/3 players coop if you are not using very rich resources presets. The multiplayer for this thing is still hugely underrated (it's absolutely amazing, especially with mods). The only problem is that that you need to get together and find a way to coordinate multiple sessions: spending hundreds of hours in coop is not an easy thing to setup. It's not very well suited for randoms and drop-in.
>>
when is the newest version coming to steam?
>>
>>376241723
It's already out, in experimental stage. If you want to play it, just open the games preferences tab, select "beta" bookmark, "select beta you want to opt for", and chose 0.15X factorio build".
It's already stable and the changes that are being done to it are miniscule, the only real version why they are delaying the release is because the devs are insanely perfectionistic in regards to bugs, and also to give modders time to update and migrate their mods.
>>
>>376242284
ah, thx anon
>>
>>376232231
Logistics bots have the highest throughput for short distances. That lack of any collision whatsoever is great.

Their limit is recharging, so if you have enough bots to do your transporting while others recharge in sufficient amounts of roboports, you're going to empty trainfuls of stuff in seconds.
>>
>>376234612
The game doesn't force you to do anything. If you don't wanna, you don't need to be challenged. You are your own limit.
>>
>>376243910
That's honestly the laziest form of design and a guarantee that the game will get boring earlier than it needs to.

I say this as an "autist" who enjoys games like Factorio, Rimworld, Dwarf Fortress and Dark Days Ahead.
All of those would gain a lot from real goals that are measurable by something more than just "You won" screen at the end and time it took you to get there.
>>
>>376229607
>Start up a Deathworld for my first .15 game.
>Only visible oil patch is far to the north in a huge infested zone.
>Have to manually clear out roughly 200 or so spawners to simply arrive at it, not counting the fact I'll need to clear even more to make the area relatively safe, and then run a train and power up there.

Piercing shells can only help so much, and it seems like the shotgun got a nerf since it's nearly impossible to hit targets with more than one or two pellets per shot now.
>>
>>376243727
It's insanely resource inefficient, and the efficiency drops with every tile of extra distance. It's not even necessarily space-efficient as in order to have a large enough cloud of logistic bots, you need a lot of ports to prevent recharging bottle-necks.
Unloading trains is actually one of the few way that they can be efficiently used for larger quantities of items though, you are right about that. Though the investment is pretty damn high. It's a way to circumvent one of the biggest problems in the game: having to build efficient loading and unloading setups.
Frankly, loading and unloading trains is one of my biggest nightmares, one of the few things I feel like I really can't do efficiently yet.
>>
I love engineering games, but I don't have a computer with enough power to run giant turing-complete asperger machines.
>>
>>376245194
>Only visible oil patch is far to the north in a huge infested zone.
That is not a death-world thing though, that is just a generating bug or anomaly. You should ALWAYS have all of your vital resources within the starting area.

>>376245513
Factorio is REMARKABLY well optimized for what it is. Like: insanely. It's actually pretty typical for the game: the developers flat out admitted that optimizing the code is what they enjoy MOST about the development process. Fitting that they made game mostly about optimization...

I run fairly big Factorio games on a fucking McBook Air from 2011 without noticeable framerate hits. So, while I'm not sure what kind of machine do you have, but unless its the kind of machine that lags when playing minefield, you should be able to play the vanilla game fine on nearly any hardware.
It might start to stagger when you have tens of thousands of items on screen all moving at the same time, but that is fairly unlikely to happen.

There is a free demo for the game, by the way. You can give it a shot and see if your computer can run it.
>>
File: i let my brother name the lakes.png (614KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
i let my brother name the lakes.png
614KB, 1920x1200px
>>376239952

Is that the railworld preset?

Default preset looks very different. pic related
>>
>>376246280
>>376239952
Nevermind, you litterally stated that in the previous comment
>>
>>376246280
Not him, but it does not look like it's a pure railworld preset, considering the bitter spawner density. By default, railworld prevents expansions (and sets bitter lair density to low). So my bet is that he enabled bitter expansion at least.
>>
>>376244962
I wholesomely disagree: a game entirely devoid of skinner box mechanics makes the game last much longer. You are never, ever, grinding for the sake of someone else's goal. You are grinding for a goal you yourself decided was worth the effort.

(Not entirely true: There are achievements, namely the 20M green circuits one)

You are playing the game because you want to play the game. If you didn't, you'd just drop it and do something else you like. There's nothing encouraging you to burn yourself out.

Lack of goals does discourage newbies not yet familiar with the game, who have a hard time coming up with meaningful goals. But I feel the game has a decent learning curve and conveyance with the tech tree climb it has.

By the time you're capable of launching a rocket, you know just enough to give yourself new goals. You don't even need to actually launch a rocket!
>>
>>376246280
wew
>>
>>376229607
Im playing this sweet game with a cool friend of mine and it's one of the best games we could ever chose to play, we plan how to build the bases, what tecnologies to use, we coordinate ourselfe to attack efficiently and we do most of the time jobs by ourselfs (for example, I might be working on the train system while he works to set up a chemical refinery center) so we dont really depend to ourselfs, but at the same time we contribute at the same time, making the game twice as fast and efficient.
Also its pretty cool when we have to design complex systems and we start discussind and testing thigs together.
Truly this game is the perfect no-homo coop for engineers out the market
>>
>>376247632
Yeah, the coop is great. But finding time and opportunities and syncing up schedule to play it is a pain in the ass, since it require quite a bit commitment.

Also, its a bit of a problem when each of you have a very different level of knowledge of the game mechanics.
>>
>>376247262
The problem is, self-assigned goals like that have no objective rules.
It's tolerable if the game is flexible enough to allow objective rules to exist, but it's still a pain.

I'll post the rest of my post later, because I'm getting connection errors with all of it for some reason
>>
>>376247262
Looks like it was some retarded server thing, I need to keep butchering my post because there is some banned phrase or something.

By "objective rules" I mean something that can be enforced:
>no belts in factorio
>no traps in dwarf fortress
>world settings
>>
>>376247262
Last part:

Then there are "soft rules", which are basically roleplaying:
>no using too strong things (without explicitly stating what it is)
>no using AI exploits like tower-defence-style corridors

Games are games and not simulators precisely because of goals, victory conditions and defeat conditions.
>>
>>376249606
The thing about Factorio - one of the reasons why the game is actually DANGEROUSLY addictive - is that it is actually a complete MASTER of creating small, short-term goals for the player. The only thing that people tend to struggle with is the way that it incentivizes (that is probably not the right spelling) the player to complete them: it uses "soft" incentives, while most games enforce hard incentives. The goals in Factorio are implied (which is actually fairly normal) but actually fairly clear: unlock the next technology tier, get closer to launching the rocket, don't get eaten in the process.
The negative incentives on the other hand are more unconventional: the game "punishes" the player not by hard fail messages, but rather simply by reflecting his efficiency. And that is somewhat unusual and confusing to people: the fact that you are not "failing" in this game, you are just "not doing well". You can, in theory, complete the game without ever making more than 500 iron per minute. It's just going to take a FUCKTON of time and going to be a slog.
And Factorio punishes you by being a slog, and rewards you by increasing the speed of your progression.
But within that process, the game is incredibly good at generating small, immediate tasks for the player. Its actually really damn good at emergent goal-making, by consistently generating situations where you can see that some part of your factory is not working efficiently. Your green science is going slowly because you aren't making enough iron? Goal: improve your smelters. You've fixed your smelters, but now you are not making enough iron per minute to feed them: Goal, build a mining expansion. Expansion is set up, but now your trains are dead-locking: Goal - fix your rail signals. Your trains are fixed, your smelters are fine, but now your power production is strained: Goal: improve your power production.
And so on and so on and so on. The game is good at goal setting, is what I'm saying.
>>
>>376250531
But the problem is lack of objective measurement.
You don't know if you're doing well, not even if you're doing well enough.
You can set everything up and let it mill until resources run dry and it will work just fine.
The only measure of whether you're doing well or not is often just if things are still working rather than choking due to lack of resources.

I wish there was a game mode where you actually need the efficient designs. And not because otherwise you'll need to wait or tediously rebuild attacked areas, but because of hard limits on resources you can gain before technology x or something like that.
This would allow "good enough" and "better than just good enough" to actually matter.
>>
>>376245909
I always thought that was just a standard thing. Most of my games I have to venture beyond the start to get oil, normally it's not too bad because I only have to kill a few biters with turrets before I get there, now I have to deal with worms that outrange my turrets and medium biters or bigger.
>>
>>376251487
>You don't know if you're doing well, not even if you're doing well enough.
If you are paying even a little attention, you can pretty easily tell if you are doing well. You either see your factor running smoothly, or you don't. You either have to wait for stuff to complete, or you don't. Things either work even without your supervision, or they don't. It really isn't that hard to tell if you are doing well in this game.

>You can set everything up and let it mill until resources run dry and it will work just fine.
Have you even played the game beyond mid game?

>This would allow "good enough" and "better than just good enough" to actually matter.
There are in game modes and mods both doing this already.
>>
>>376252550
>You either see your factor running smoothly, or you don't.
"Running smoothly" is an incredibly vague measurement.
All you can really say is that it is not overloaded and not underloaded for its current size - with the size also being a vague measurement.

>Have you even played the game beyond mid game?
Didn't finish a 0.15 run yet, but everything I say applies perfectly to versions before science rework.

>There are in game modes and mods both doing this already.
Didn't see the mods, but the only game mode I've seen that does anything like that is the timed mode, which is shit because it values speed rather than design quality itself. It's not like Spacechem, but closer to RTS mode.
>>
What does the mining productivity bonus actually do?
>>
>>376252979
Same shit as productivity modules.
It adds a purple bar that fills at productivity % speed and also produces same shit as the green bar, at no cost.
>>
>>376252975
>"Running smoothly" is an incredibly vague measurement.
Actually, "things move" and "things don't move", and alternatively "the belt is full" and "the belt is empty" are not particularly vague sentiments that don't really offer that much space for possible misinterpretations. Seriously, just turn off the extended view and you'll clearly see that all the machines are running or they don't: it's why they are all animated in vanilla game.

>Didn't see the mods, but the only game mode I've seen that does anything like that is the timed mode
Waves, supply and demand, and fuckton of user-made mods.

>>376252979
It just produces extra stuff. More actual ore per miner/patches.
>>
>>376253342
>Actually, "things move" and "things don't move", and alternatively "the belt is full" and "the belt is empty" are not particularly vague sentiments that don't really offer that much space for possible misinterpretations.
They are also fucking useless without tons of context, which in turn is not measurable so easily.
>>
>>376253603
First of all, no, you don't need that much context. Seriously there are visual ques for everything you need to know. And if you are completely brain-dead, you can download the bottleneck mod that will literally add giant red, green or yellow dots showing the status of every single machine.
>>
>>376246710
Him here. It's a pure railworld preset.
>>
>>376254273
Nigger you don't understand
You need context to know what does the belt clog actually mean for the factory.

It doesn't matter that iron belt is running smoothly if it's caused by steel consumption being lowered by mechadildo factory stealing all gears from engine factory.
>>
>>376254891
>You need context to know what does the belt clog actually mean for the factory.
Wow, the game requires you to... think a little? Like make connections and be able to tell when "a lot of stuff on the belt" is a good thing and when it's a bad thing? Like paying attention to whenever it's an input or output belt?

What the fuck are we arguing about here. That you literally can't tell if your factory is not working properly? Because that just makes you really, really damn inept at the game. And you seem to be complaining that the game does not literally just spell out for you what you had done wrong and requires you to actually double-check it.

But it's all so bizzare. Maybe in petrochem you can get confused about what is causing the damn hold-ups, but in normal production: "is the machine moving? Is the output belt full?" is everything you need to know to check if your production is efficient or not.

If it's not moving and the output belt is empty, it's resource starved. If its not moving and the output belt is full, then you need to check the next step of the production (look at the next set of machines). If it's moving consistently, do the same.

Done. It's not fucking hard!
>>
>>376255250
Holy shit you can't even track the "goal" of the conversation and you're trying to talk about multiple goals of a game here?

The point is: factorio endgame turns into a giant unspecified mess where you jack off over meaningless numbers, but can't actually git gud, because there is no such thing as gud or any real goal.
This is a cancer on design of all the sandbox games that greatly reduced their replayability and even playability after the learning phase.
Factorio, Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld etc. could all be so much better if they had something to do at all points in game, not just
>survive
>gather resources
>research
looped
>>
>>376229607
Very fun autism game
Great way of wasting hundreds upon hundreds of hours.
But screw the devs for simplifying their original plans for nuclear power for the retards.
>>
File: 1491913648726.png (30KB, 129x182px) Image search: [Google]
1491913648726.png
30KB, 129x182px
>>376254891
It's fucking elementary. During almost whole game your main goal is to produce science packs. So if they are not being produced you just check step by step starting from your labs where is the problem.
>>
>>376255945
>The point is: factorio endgame turns into a giant unspecified mess where you jack off over meaningless numbers, but can't actually git gud, because there is no such thing as gud or any real goal.
First of all, you never actually established any of this. We are talking about end-game? AFTER YOU FINISHED THE GAME - that is after you fired the rocket? Of course there is a problem with goal-setting once you finished the games goal.
Or are you actually talking about LATE game, with most technologies unlocked but still building up the rocket?
In that case, it's just wrong:
Either you have to wait for something to happen, which means you've done something wrong, or you constantly have something to do, which means the game is running as intented (e.g. it's actually fun to play).

>where you jack off over meaningless numbers, but can't actually git gud, because there is no such thing as gud or any real goal.
The FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT. Post game? After the rocket is launched?
YEAH. You completed the fucking game. Jesus. You are complaining that the game isn't giving you goals after you completed all of its explicit goals: sure, once you enter the pure sandbox, the game is effectively over, anything you'll do further is just entirely up to you. It's handing the playground to you, in case you want to fool around more.

But if you are talking about anything else but the post-rocket-launch phase, you are just plain stupidly wrong. There is a very simple fucking way to measure if your factory is doing well or not: DO YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR SHIT TO COMPLETE, OR DO YOU CONSISTENTLY HAVE THINGS TO DO.
If you have things to do, then those are your fucking goals. If you are waiting for something to happen, then you have fucked up, and it's time to go back to the drawing board. How fucking more simple do you want things to be?
>>
>>376256312
How do you transport the fuel? Logistic bots?
>>
>>376256584
It's not mine, but yes, which feels bad because logistics bots are cheating.
>>
>>376256312
Nuclear reactors were a huge dissapoitnment. First I saw those 3 new building and was scared the reactor would explode if I wont transfer heat somewhere but in the end it was just glorified boiler.
>>
>>376256969
They originally HAD planned something like that, reactor cycles, etc. but then they were worried it would confound stupid people so they decided against it.
>>
steam sale never
>>
>>376256448
>If you are waiting for something to happen, then you have fucked up
The opposite is true:
Waiting is 100% fine, because the only real goal is launching the rocket and everything else is self-imposed.

You must be way higher on the autism spectrum than me if you can have fun doing the exact same thing over and over and still have fun. Shit like setting up yet another mining station or yet another crafting line (instead of optimizing the existing one). Those aren't new goals.
>>
>>376229607
>start new game
>get initial setup going
>all is well
>start expanding and automating
>get bored and quit

I just can't do it
>>
>>376256969
There is already mod that re-introduced all of those mechanics in.
Modding community for factorio is fucking amazing and well worth following. The devs tend to opt for the least "invasive" and "polarizing" option knowing all too well that if people want more hardcore variations of their mechanic, they will plop a mod doing them up within weeks.
>>
>>376229607
Is there a way to automate purple science packs or is it just playing search and destroy to collect artifacts?
>>
>>376229907
They're more of a nuisance more than anything. They stop you from expanding too much, forcing you to defend your outposts as well as making sure you're researching military tech.

With the new update, alien artifacts are gone, so they mean even less now.
>>
>>376230975
>The game has no challenges.
Factorio is one of the most challenging games out there you uneducated retard

Making an efficient factory is exceptionally hard
>>
>>376257242
Uh... you might be actually, like clinically fucking retarded. We have already been through this, actually. See >>376235185
Seriously, the fuck is wrong with you?
You are actually calling other people "autistic" because they can figure out that "having fun" is part of the point of the game, and that "doing things in an un-fun way is probably doing something wrong?"
Jesus FUCKING CHRIST. You literally cannot fucking understand how can someone have fun with a game when the game does not show a giant "YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG, LET ME TAKE YOU BY THE HAND AND EXPLAIN IN PAINFUL DETAIL HOW YOU DID IT WRONG BECAUSE YOU LITERALLY CANNOT BE TRUSTED TO FIGURE ANYTHING OUT ON YOUR OWN" sign.

God dammit you moron. The fuck are you even talking about. I'm not doing the same thing over and over again: that is kinda the point. You don't need to do it over and over again IF YOU DO IT RIGHT. That is one of the most reliable ways to identify if you are doing well. It's a game about automatization and optimization: you either do it right and then you can let it run and move towards something else, or you did it wrong, and that means you have to do it DIFFERENTLY.
God dammit, what the actual fuck is wrong with you.
>>
>>376257379
Alien artifacts were entirely removed from the game with the latest patch. Now you can automate production of all science packs. The highest tier does however require rocket launches.
>>
File: 1491400825972.png (6KB, 253x199px) Image search: [Google]
1491400825972.png
6KB, 253x199px
>>376257767
>having a massive spergout because someone doesn't eat up shit design like you do
It's not like you have anything to lose from realizing that games can be designed better and have faults.
>>
>>376257242
>everything else is self-imposed.
Thats like saying dark souls is easy since you can spam arrows from a distance and clear everything

"Self imposed" means fucking nothing.
>>
>>376257894
Ok cool, that was the big thing that scared me off when I hit higher tiers.

Well that and me not putting in the effort to learn how robots work.
>>
>>376229607
good game falling into all the pitfalls of indie early access bullshit

>oh we want to hit 1.0 by this arbitrary date so we will cancel planned features in order to meet this goal, rather than just wait until we're happy with the result
>gotta hire people more often than we release new versions
>we have no idea how to balance things so we're just going to throw things into the wild and make changes based on feedback to see what finally sticks
>better let everyone know how hard we're working and how difficult game development is every other week so we have a way of deflecting criticism via self deprecation
>did i mention those people we've been hiring don't live near us so they work on shit from a distance, slowing the shit out of everything
>>
>>376258149
Robots are remarkably simple. They look kinda intimidating at first, but it really is pretty easy. They are also entirely optional and mostly serve to be a convenience, bordering on cheating.

The only two things that I think can be REALLY tough to crack are more advanced uses of Logic Networks, and fucking the fucking rail signals.

>>376258032
Keep digging that grave, kid.

>>376258171
Well, that is a load of fucking bullshit there. Since when is Factorio not ballanced, and since when are they racing towards release date and canceling fucking features? The fuck are you talking about. And are you SERIOUSLY complaining that the company maintains a good, regular and honest communication with their userbase? The FUCK?
>>
>>376258102
>Thats like saying dark souls is easy since you can spam arrows from a distance and clear everything
If that was true, it would indeed mean dark souls is easy.
But Kiki and Bouba, Nito, a lot of other bosses and even many regular enemies are placed in such a way that you can't easily cheese them that way.
>>
>>376258476
>bordering on cheating
Now you're going full retard
>kid
t. oh-so-adult 19 year old
>Since when is Factorio not ballanced
It was never fully balanced and if you were there for production beacons you wouldn't talk about things you know nothing about like that.

Also calm down.
>>
>>376230978
Tl;dr kys fuckstick
>>
>>376258532
Wow so you havnt even played the games you talk about. You can cheese all those bosses with ranged.

Here is your last reply shitposter, you obviously havnt even played factorio.
>>
File: recent FFF.png (76KB, 956x146px) Image search: [Google]
recent FFF.png
76KB, 956x146px
>>376258476
>Well, that is a load of fucking bullshit there. Since when is Factorio not ballanced, and since when are they racing towards release date and canceling fucking features? The fuck are you talking about. And are you SERIOUSLY complaining that the company maintains a good, regular and honest communication with their userbase? The FUCK?

Chill the fuck out, psycho. I didn't say it wasn't balanced, I said that they had no idea how to balance it and rely on the community to do that work for them. As soon as they pushed 0.15 they had to rush out 8 minor fixes involving recipes, underground belt length, various values, etc.

And take one look at pic related and explain to me what it is they're saying here.
Jesus dude, I like the game, but you need to realize criticism can still be applied to enjoyable games and their devs
>>
>>376258171
>factorio
>racing to completion
It took like 6 months between each of te modern versions you retarded dumb fuck.
>>
>>376259114
>I didn't say it wasn't balanced, I said that they had no idea how to balance it
Well done. You get the "most retarded comment of the week" reward.
>>
It's hilarious to watch that dude get all riled up over people, who actually like the game, pointing out that it isn't flawless.
>>
File: 1494173105140.jpg (75KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494173105140.jpg
75KB, 720x720px
>>376257152
>you will never see a Factario sale in your lifetime
>>
>>376259114
I'm going to guess and say you're just retarded and have no clue how development work in general works.

There's always a bunch of tickets with pie-in-the-sky features, most of which get sidelined or removed as devs finalize what they envision for a full release. To say that they're rushing is a stretch; rushing would be getting in half-assed feature for the sake of a release.
>>
>>376259331
Same. I like the game as well but god damn is this guy booty blasted.
>>
>>376259316
>comment

go back to whatever hole you crawled here from, where it's common practice to only read a portion of a statement and 'comment' on it.

The game is balanced because the COMMUNITY BALANCES IT FOR THEM

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU MISUNDERSTANDING HERE
>>
File: Capture.png (43KB, 778x423px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
43KB, 778x423px
>>
>>376258793
>Now you're going full retard
Neither of those parts of the post were even aimed at you, kid. You have some serious issues.

>Also calm down.
Dude? Do you even realize what you are doing and saying here? Fuck me, you have serious issues.

>>376259114
>Chill the fuck out, psycho. I didn't say it wasn't balanced,
Are you just the same person, going on a complete meltdown?

Or did I run into two identical retards here. So fist of all: "I'm not saying the game is not balanced, I'm saying that the developers can't balance it" are two contradictory statements. Either the game is balanced, which means they know how to balance it, or it is not and they rely on the community to do it. But the community is not balancing it for them, they are.

Unless you are actually talking about the fact that they are also taking in feedback from the community. Which - I really can't comprehend how you could ever, ever consider a bad fucking thing. God dammit, I hope you are just the same retard I was arguing with before and that there aren't more people this dumb walking around the earth.

>And take one look at pic related and explain to me what it is they're saying here.
They are cutting features from a game, because that is how ALL development works. Because the game has been in development for over five years and is already one of the most content-rich titles on the market, and the developers really think that after five years dedicating their life to it, they just want to close it all up?

Shit has nothing to do with "arbitrary deadlines". The last update came out four months later than they originally planned because they just weren't happy with it. They are taking their sweet fucking ass time with the game, which is good because the pure levels of polish really show off.

>but you need to realize criticism can still be applied to enjoyable games and their devs
Yeah, VALID criticism. The game has real issues, but you are not even touching on those.
>>
>>376259543
please explain exactly why they need to make the game hit 1.0 by the end of the year. There is no reason for it when the game is already fairly well received and available for purchase

They should be waiting until the game envisions the complete product they have in mind, not looking at their notes and saying "Wow there's no way that's getting in by the end of the year so might as well scrap it entirely"

I like the game
why is the defense force so autistic towards my posts right now
>>
>>376259613
Are you OK anon? You've seem to caught a case of severe assburgers. Not only are you completely wrong, but you're spewing shit everywhere and acting like you're right.

Acting like they rely on the community to balance for them because they had to put out some hotfixes for a new release is some dumb ass shit. That's common as hell in any software development, even moreso for something still in Early Access.
>>
File: 20170508010343_1.jpg (660KB, 1916x1000px) Image search: [Google]
20170508010343_1.jpg
660KB, 1916x1000px
how do i git gud?
>>
File: hot.png (2MB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
hot.png
2MB, 857x1202px
daily reminder
>>
>>376229675
I, too, like trains.
>>
>>376259949
That looks beautiful
>>
>>376259949
there are so many pointless redundant splits here
what are you doing
>>
it's a great game

it's just that playing with friends can be very difficult some times depending on what type of people your friends are.

it's like a totally different game when you play with a friend.

i wish there was more fun shit to do after you get your base properly done.

i like playing with the logic ports to make lights flash in gay ways but that's pretty much all there is to do which is sad.
>>
>>376256969
>just a glorified boiler
That's what a nuclear reactor is
>>
Can someone post a good let's play of this shit that is actually played by a smart person?

And don't post that fuck arumba
>>
>>376256969
>but in the end it was just glorified boiler.
That's what real nuclear reactors are too
>>
>>376258171
You post the same shit in every factorio thread that lasts more than 15 minutes.
>>
>>376259856
I'm calling you a retard because that's what you are. They're not cutting features that are finished, they're not trying to ruin the game / go against their vision or whatever autistic nonsense you believe in.

It's to avoid both feature creep and removing stupid shit on their Trello board. Do you know what a Trello board is? It's a kanban board; think of it as a place with a bunch of stickynotes where any developer can potentially post shit like found bugs, new feature ideas etc. They're cleaning up the board and removing shit that doesn't fit anymore.

Like jesus christ you're a dumb faggot and part of the reason why developers don't like posting ANY sort of insight into the process. People tend to assume retarded shit from the most innocuous statements. And you also assume that once they hit 1.0 they're done and quit all development work; I imagine you sperged out this hard when Prison Architect was officially released too.
>>
>>376260080
Trying to distribute raw material so certain assemblers won't starve, but as you can see i sorta gave up halfway
>>
>>376259984
>feeding your gturrets anything but iron bullets
>>
>>376260104
>>376260173
I think he wants shit like superheated steam pressure, neutron moderators and output dependent on fuel status.

And possibly retarded shit like random explosions due to pressure
>>
thank god for mods.
>>
>>376259949
Nice job on making conveyers take a half of your base.
>>
>>376259949
B U S
U
S
>>
GOD FUCKING DAMMIT there is something wrong with board. Just lost a nearly 2000 symbols post with some detailed instructions for >>376259949
and tips examples of what you can actually do for >>376260089
So I'm going to be concise:

>>376259949
Try to figure out things for your own, don't let people spoil it for you. Vanilla factorio has one quality which I personally don't like, and that is the fact that it's essentially a solved game. There is a strategy to factory design that is just objectively more efficient than any others. Once you discover it - especially if you spoil it for yourself, a lot of the charm of the game begins to dissipate. So cherish that experimental spaghetti stage you are in and just experiment for yourself. You don't seem to be doing anything particularly wrong, it's just that your belt configuration is needlessly sprawling.

>>376260089
>but that's pretty much all there is to do
Some people made a virtual 178x100 display, a digital video encoder with a 34 mb memory in the game, using little to no mods, just by using combinators and lamps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgfwwqwxdxY
Other guy made a grey-goo-like ever-grown ever consuming ever-replicating factory work.
There is a lot more to do if you are completely batshit insane.
>>
>>376259856
>please explain exactly why they need to make the game hit 1.0 by the end of the year.
Because after five years of development, they just are kinda done with it. They just want to do something else. And considering how crazy feature rich and polished the game is, and the fact that after all this time (much of which was really hard on them, by the way) they just don't want to commit another five years into it right now?
Also, they also announced they really want to hit 0.15 before december 2016, so that line does not really mean much.
>>
>take factorio
>remove the ayylien aesthetic and the nonsense tech and set it in not!1914
>you have to produce all the munitions and arms to equip an army in the field
>as well as a city-building element to produce and maximise more soldiers
>as well as an RTS element of actually commanding those soldiers in the field
>you play against other players/the AI doing the same thing instead of "biters"
>add some politics and diplomacy to it
GOAT
>>
>>376259949
Try a "challenge" - build a base where all iron and copper goes one way (say, left to right), with only single branches not counting belt rebalancing (to keep it filled)
It will help you with learning how to not do belt spaghetti
>>
>>376261151
BUS can spoil the game for you forever. Just let him cherrish the past if he still can.
>>
>>376261586
Sounds like a genre that's been done to death, removing all the freshness and excitement from Factorio
>>
File: 123.jpg (1MB, 1914x1081px) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
1MB, 1914x1081px
Post your factory.
Fuck robots
>>
really fun but the first hour or two sucks. once you get into robotics the fun multiplies
>>
>>376261626
Um.. arguing with somene is autism now? how?

Also, I just tooks sometthinn that may have not been what i though it would be. so thois conversation is going to be really rather interesting. Or abrtplycut down.
>>
File: 9f9.jpg (43KB, 600x598px) Image search: [Google]
9f9.jpg
43KB, 600x598px
>still in Early Access
How can you defend this?
>>
>>376261349
>There is a strategy to factory design that is just objectively more efficient than any others.
Do tell.
>>
>>376260370
>Tfw super biters rape your base because theyre nearly impervious to standard bullets and turrets
>>
File: 1494198435041.png (2MB, 856x1612px) Image search: [Google]
1494198435041.png
2MB, 856x1612px
>>376259984
FIX'd
>>
>>376261997
you don't want to know >>376261151
>>
File: i love how shitty this place is.png (175KB, 236x349px) Image search: [Google]
i love how shitty this place is.png
175KB, 236x349px
>>376261793
If that's what you think then I have done a poor job of explaining my ideas.

The game is still Factorio, but instead of making arbitrary science packs you make rifles. You also make soldiers in your city instead of your factory through a different but similar process and use the rifles with the soldiers to play the RTS element.

Nothing Factorio has would be lost. It would just be given a fucking purpose.
>>
>>376261879
>once you get into robotics the fun ends
ftfy
>>
>>376257379
Before .15, the Robot Army mod basically did that, letting you send armies of Terminators to patrol an absurd radius around their origin point and destroying all alien bases they find. The artifacts dropped automatically go into a chest you can put anywhere and connect an inserter to a purple science crafter.
>>
>>376262059
>super groids get lazored or burned
>tiny groids get bulletted
>everyone after the initial wave gets burned
The gturrets fulfill their role best when filled with trash - they attract fire, are cheap to replace and mow down small groids
>>
>>376261151
>do the bus for a few games
>they're too boring and easy, too formulaic
Spaghetti-factories are more fun.
>>
>>376259984
>>376262083
why laser hate?
>>
>>376262279
they eat power

guns don't eat power
>>
>>376261997
Bad bad time. I'd love to, and right now I¨m kinda dealing with some halucinations because I just took a drug and it's clearly not doing what it isupposed to. It's definitely fun and intersting (to me, I suspect that to you I!ll probalby look like another try-hard attention woring moron, a dime a dozen,

Now, should I just try to contine being semi-useful for the thread, or shoud Ijust go?
>>
>>376262083
Bottom should be killing all the bitter within polution area manualy.
>>
>>376262278
Complex overhaul mods like Angel and Bob thankfully throw the whole "bus" methods in the air and force you to solve things differnetly. That is what I like so much about them.

In vanilla, bus is only fun for a while when youa figuring the proper ratios and ballancer schems .
>>
>>376262601
go fap

maybe report later
>>
>>376262849
i still bus'd the shit out of everything doing bob's, it was just 2 screens wide

except petrochem, that was fun
>>
>>376262279
2good
>>
>>376262125
>>376262601
I'm mostly interested because my only cheevos left are the speedrun, jump infront of a train, and Hitchhiker's reference.
>>
>>376262245
I assumed you meant defending your base with nothing but gturrets and iron bullets

However, lturrets outclass gturrets at pretty much everything, theres no reason to keep using gturrets unless you have an ammo corridor set up which you shouldnt have ever and should probably dismantle if you do.
>>
Post wish list for final release (never ever lmao)

>some sort of advanced, long-range weaponry used to really take the fight to the aliens (missiles, artillery, maybe small nuclear weapons?)
>late-game programmable robots that can be used to automate the construction of factory lines
>bigger emphasis on expanding far into the map
>better use for trains

Haven't played in a while so sorry if some or all of these have been implemented already
>>
>>376262514
and guns eat bullets which eat resources, whats your point?
>>
>>376262897
Sadly, that is the one thing I don't feel like doing.

But it's fun. Right nowthe quick reply box on my screan appears to be made of some very light fabrict that gently flows in the wind, and i can see small human figures just pressing the letters on the front from inside. And everytime I write something wrong, a blood-like spurt appeas underlying the word. It's like a weird puppet shadow theatre.

The whole screen does not stand still either and seems like its just made out of paper, folding and unfolding.
And there are people with me here, even though i know they aren't, I can see them fooling just at the end of my peripheral vision... I'm gonna grab a smoke and see how that will do.

I'm, sorry. You probably dont give a fuck (shold not give a fuck). Sorry to be bothering at such time.
>>
File: 1494020769672.png (7KB, 349x298px) Image search: [Google]
1494020769672.png
7KB, 349x298px
you are already obsolete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF--1XdcOeM
>>
File: 1488326710890.gif (2MB, 420x264px) Image search: [Google]
1488326710890.gif
2MB, 420x264px
>>376261349
>Other guy made a grey-goo-like ever-grown ever consuming ever-replicating factory work.
Tell me your secrets.
>>
>>376263291
They mow down weak crap more efficiently than lturrets, which is useful if you're getting heavily mixed waves.
They also draw fire away from lasers, which helps early on.
>>
File: I am so high right now.jpg (76KB, 618x348px) Image search: [Google]
I am so high right now.jpg
76KB, 618x348px
>>376257767
> literally autism, the post

you need to seek help
>>
>>376262849
I kind of wish I hadn't found out about the bus method. Made things a lot less frustrating in the short-term, but ended up streamlining the whole game way too much.
>>
>>376262204
>It would just be given a fucking purpose
Yes, just add a city-building game and an RTS game on top of it.
>>
File: file.png (220KB, 480x424px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
220KB, 480x424px
>>376263408
>>
File: never ever.gif (564KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
never ever.gif
564KB, 800x430px
>>376263362
That sounds fucking rad.

Tell me more, druganon.

Also, do you KNOW that they're hallucinations or do you believe them? Like, do you actually think they are what you perceive them as?
>>
>>376263693
Also make assembling parts a space-chem type minigame.
>>
File: 1493503898262.jpg (563KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1493503898262.jpg
563KB, 768x1024px
>>376263408
>Imbressive
>>
File: Yes Yes Yes.gif (1MB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
Yes Yes Yes.gif
1MB, 444x250px
>>376263362
Tell us more, anon, how does this gif looks like to you?
>>
File: poland strong.jpg (371KB, 844x1270px) Image search: [Google]
poland strong.jpg
371KB, 844x1270px
>>376264028
>poland installed gentoo just for supermarket display application
Country, I am proud
>>
File: 212.jpg (10KB, 200x160px) Image search: [Google]
212.jpg
10KB, 200x160px
>>376262601
>I¨m kinda dealing with some halucinations because I just took a drug and it's clearly not doing what it isupposed to

I wish I was calm enough to be able to deal with something like that. I'm such an anxious fuck that if I unexpectedly starting hallucinating I'd probably end up dying.
>>
File: 1457373574304.png (583KB, 563x600px) Image search: [Google]
1457373574304.png
583KB, 563x600px
Oh fuck i didnt see an existing thread.. how do i make a self sustaining production line that puts science packs into science labs. ive been ripping my hair out
>>
>>376229607
INTP: the video game
>>
>>376264236
Conveyor of Iron Plates > Assembler making Gears > Conveyor of Gears and a Conveyor of Copper Plates > Assembler making Red Science Packs > Conveyor of Red Science > Research Facility
>>
File: 1391018569738.jpg (13KB, 300x303px) Image search: [Google]
1391018569738.jpg
13KB, 300x303px
>>376263312
>Other factions besides aliens, like rogue robots, bandits, precursor drones and maybe neutral factions.
>Instead of expanding, every enemy base is like a fortress, maybe questlines for the HQs
>Rotate view(90 degrees of course)
>Rivers, cliffs and other terrain features
>Wind and water power
>Protect you factory from the elements by building roofs, walls, catwalks and other flavor infrastucture
>Punish death somehow
>City management for super late game
>Orbital or macro construction for super late game too maybe
>Drag and drop rotation
>>
File: 1488333259217.jpg (225KB, 600x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1488333259217.jpg
225KB, 600x1125px
>>376264241
>INTP
>Not INTJ

Nigger
>>
>>376263901
It's just a stronger sleeping pill. I've seen it doing something like it before, but usually only quite a while after taking it, by the time I was falling asleep: it gave me some dream-halucination-like states, but it never kicked in this strongly this soon.

I know perfectly well that it's just halucinations and percpetual changes: i know it's a screen and how it works, it's just that it suddenly looks different. Similarly the people in the room - I thik that is just my bloody hair and the rims of my glasses creating random shades that kinda look like people... I can rationally explain it all, but damn if my brain cares.
Also, everything moves and grows right in front of my eyes.
It's... weirdly comfy. I'm not a druggy, in fact I avoid basically all drugs, but I think i could get used to it. I think it's easy to shake off, but I'm not sure if I want to.
Why the fuck am I even telling you all of this. That is probably the most weird and unnatural thing about this. I must be much more of an attention whore than I though I am, and that makes me feel bad. You should probably tell me to fuck off so I could go to sleep.
>>
>>376263408
I'm getting Microbiology and Biochemistry vibes from watching this.
>>
File: 1460613186908.jpg (141KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1460613186908.jpg
141KB, 1024x1024px
>>376264386

thanks
>>
>>376264532
Because it self-assembles or because of how it does that?
>>
>>376264138
Like a psychedelic image of a character from some famous manga and the word yes yes yes appearing everywhere.

>>376264234
I'm surprised too. Normally I'm a pretty anxious guy, this weirdly mellowed me out. I guess - it's a sleeping pill, benzo-diazepam bases so mellowing out is kinda the point. And it did to me something similar already, just nowhere near this intense.
>>
>>376264469
INTJ is more grand strategy games
>>
>>376264532
>I'm getting Microbiology and Biochemistry vibes from watching this.
You are very perceptive and getting the very right vibes. Did you study any of those fields?

Factorio is a good lesson in emergence of complex goal oriented structures, in cybernetics and self-regulation in its finest. And those words pretty much perfectly describe what we watch when we study molecular biology.
>>
File: feels wave.gif (965KB, 498x266px) Image search: [Google]
feels wave.gif
965KB, 498x266px
>>376264486
It amazes me how much people take for granted the normal functioning of their brain.

I was reading about mad cow disease in humans and it literally causes little tiny holes to open up in your brain, which causes massive personality swings.

How anyone can know this and believe that we aren't just the sum of our neural pathways blows my mind.

Anyway, go to sleep anon. The world needs you.
>>
>>376265119
>It amazes me how much people take for granted the normal functioning of their brain.
It also is amazing how meaningless is "normal" here.
How little of that is real and how much of that is a total fucking illusion created by the brain to fool itself it is an entity and not a spaghetti of entities.

For example, people who have their brain hemispheres separated aren't heavily impaired by that. In fact, finding out how are they impaired requires specialistic tests that exploit both the similarities and the differences between hemispheres.
>>
>>376263312
Autonomous combat robots, doesn't have to be Animatrix tier just an expanded use for what we have already.
Ditches, moats and swimming bitters - and boats natch.
Autonomous miners. There is a mod but it's hot garbage. (Red Alert mineral wagons are cool, though)
Unusual and powerful map features like infinite sources of minerals, bitter "bosses", etc.
More exciting methods of exploring that just driving around.
>>
>>376265119
If I was in even a little more - focused state, I could expand on that quite a lot. I generally avoid mind-altering substances when I can (big doses of anti-depressants, sleeping pills and some mood elevators not withstanding) myself, but I have a keen interest in neurology and more clinical and biolocial aspects of psychology, and the studies of dreams in particular. So, so much fasicnating shit to talk about.

There is a guy who wrote a book called "Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat". Great intoductory reading into some problems of neuropathologies. HOUSE MD ripped like 2/3 of its neurology-based stories from that book alone.

I think it's calming down now, I'm starting to just get drowsy but the halucinations seems to wane off, apparently.
>>
File: agdq-2015-660x330.png (199KB, 660x330px) Image search: [Google]
agdq-2015-660x330.png
199KB, 660x330px
>>376235185
The only punishment for stupid behavior is your own time wasted. You don't lose research. You don't lose buildings. You don't lose territory. You just lose time. The only purpose in making sure your designs are optimal is to reduce some of the tedium the game masquerades as a challenge.

Again, that works for any game. If you don't optimize what you're doing, you lose time. There's a whole vidya subculture around optimizing gameplay to reduce the time it takes to complete the game.
>>
>>376263408
How do you automate blueprint placement?
>>
File: 1493324007629.png (13KB, 523x497px) Image search: [Google]
1493324007629.png
13KB, 523x497px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgfwwqwxdxY
>>
File: Factorio 2017-04-28 17-26-28-09.jpg (1MB, 1916x1022px) Image search: [Google]
Factorio 2017-04-28 17-26-28-09.jpg
1MB, 1916x1022px
>>376262514
Lasers are fun though, you just have to overcome the power limit.
>8.7GW+
>>
File: file.png (86KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
86KB, 225x225px
>>
>>376265747
First of all, you can lose territory, machines and resources to bitter attacks, though I will happily admit that it's fairly unlikely in vanilla, where the bitters are predictable and fairly easy to deal with.

Second of all: that is not "masquerading as challenge". That is a challenge. You don't get to arbitrarily dismiss one type of incentive is "wrong" and the other as "right". The argument would be valid if the game did not give you tools to avoid the tedium. Having to deal with tedium - yeah, that is a bad design, unless your game is called Pathologic or Papers Please.
But in tedium is not the challenge. Tedium is what the game uses to warn you that you are failing: it's a punishment for your failure as a designer. It's no different than a game-over-screen, just less intrusive.

If you are starting to find the game tedious, it's time to change your strategy. And there is always more you can do to avoid tedium. Everything in the game is designed to avoid tedium. It's like the health meter of the game: where other games flash the screen red, Factorio slows to a crawl: both are warning you that you are doing something wrong.
And once you'll understand that. you'll understand that the game is just as challenging, and in many ways more challenging than most other games. It presents you with complex, layered problem solving issues, and rewards you if you solve them, or punishes you with tedium if you fail. It really isn't all that strange or new concept either
>>
>>376267138
Meant to reply to
>>376266798
>>
>try to play other survival games where you collect resources and build a base
>get bored quickly because there's no way to automate the redundant tasks
>>
>>376267454
You can automate Minecraft with enough mods.
>>
>>376268225
Last time I checked most stuff can't really be automated without buffers spilling over and wasting production
>>
>>376267454
If it's a task you need to automate to continue it's not a redundant task, blockhead. It could very well be tedious and repetitive, but it's not redundant.

Stop using words wrong.
>>
>>376268372
k
>>
>>376268492
Most people who bother with the matter at all would admit that the English language is in a bad way, but it is generally assumed that we cannot by conscious action do anything about it. Our civilisation is decadent and our language — so the argument runs — must inevitably share in the general collapse. It follows that any struggle against the abuse of language is a sentimental archaism, like preferring candles to electric light or hansom cabs to aeroplanes. Underneath this lies the half-conscious belief that language is a natural growth and not an instrument which we shape for our own purposes.
Now, it is clear that the decline of a language must ultimately have political and economic causes: it is not due simply to the bad influence of this or that individual writer. But an effect can become a cause, reinforcing the original cause and producing the same effect in an intensified form, and so on indefinitely. A man may take to drink because he feels himself to be a failure, and then fail all the more completely because he drinks. It is rather the same thing that is happening to the English language. It becomes ugly and inaccurate because our thoughts are foolish, but the slovenliness of our language makes it easier for us to have foolish thoughts. The point is that the process is reversible. Modern English, especially written English, is full of bad habits which spread by imitation and which can be avoided if one is willing to take the necessary trouble. If one gets rid of these habits one can think more clearly, and to think clearly is a necessary first step toward political regeneration: so that the fight against bad English is not frivolous and is not the exclusive concern of professional writers.
>>
File: factorio-factory.jpg (422KB, 1913x1013px) Image search: [Google]
factorio-factory.jpg
422KB, 1913x1013px
>>376237290

I hit a point where I don't care about the satellites and shit. My goal became just to expand out and create a self sustaining wall. The wall is divided into segments that robots can reasonably manage, and trains bring them everything they'll ever need to repair whatever is under their section. I need something new now though.
>>
>>376268330
BuildCraft was, like, 20 years ago.
>>
Is this another shitty Dwarf Fortress ripoff?
>>
>>376260160
Whats wrong with arumba?
>>
File: 1481671383672.png (115KB, 295x300px) Image search: [Google]
1481671383672.png
115KB, 295x300px
>>376263408
Holy fuck.
>>
>>376269359
I don't know if I agree, but this is an interesting point.
>>
>>376273150
It's an extract from one of Orwell's essays. Just google a phrase out of it and you'll find the whole thing online. It's a short essay and well worth reading if you fancy yourself anything more than a functionally illiterate hyper-consumer rushing towards the abrupt genetic bottleneck that awaits us just beyond the final act of this late stage capitalist dystopia.
>>
>>376234492
without shit like electric inserters and underground belts you would have to make massively large bases.
>>
File: 1462591817419.jpg (173KB, 1072x720px) Image search: [Google]
1462591817419.jpg
173KB, 1072x720px
>>376266798
nice
>>
File: 1485578341346.jpg (277KB, 870x790px) Image search: [Google]
1485578341346.jpg
277KB, 870x790px
>>376263408
Is this possible in vanilla? This is amazing
>>
File: 1494210011.jpg (692KB, 1916x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1494210011.jpg
692KB, 1916x1036px
r8 my shitty base
>>
>>376232271
KYS
>>
>>376266798
I wish I was intelligent enough to pull off something like this.
>>
>>376275490
Make some space to put both red and green research mats on the same belt. You will save yourself the headache that way.
>>
>>376275490
you're going to need like 10 times as much room for shit as you think, also there's no need for so many inserter/belt assemblers since then craft so fast their bottleneck is gear assemblers and belt/inserter throughput for a billion gears.
>>
>>376265747

>the only punishment for stupid behavior is being punished

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhnsC2V4_0w
>>
Any good youtube lp's to show off the game? Considering buying it but haven't seen much recent footage.
>>
>>376277258
There's a demo

Most videos are idiots trying to figure out everything and failing horribly or mad autists who does everything perfectly
Thread posts: 215
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.