[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real talk /v/. Is Nintendo turning into the Apple of the gaming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 13

File: 123091203982.jpg (21KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
123091203982.jpg
21KB, 1280x720px
Real talk /v/. Is Nintendo turning into the Apple of the gaming world? The Switch has fantastic sales numbers so far, but everyone that I've spoken to who owns one has felt disappointed in its library and overall quality. I own one and I'm excited for the few titles that are coming out for it this year, but can't help but feel like I've spent $500 on a console that's more of a novelty than an actual full-featured gaming system like the PS4 or even the Xbox One.
>>
No shit.
>>
Superior hardware, coming through.

I haven't owned a Nintendo ha shelf since the DS and even then I only had the Castlevanias. I'm in for a hell of a time going through that library.
>>
>apple of the gaming world
>shitty overpriced featureless toy aimed at retards

Comparison is correct. Congrats op
>>
>>376224558
>superior hardware
>can't hack it

????
>>
It's not supposed to be a gaming system like the PS. It's intended to be different, as all Nintendo consoles have been since the Wii. They figured out with the GC that they couldn't compete going head-to-head with Sony so they aim for alternate markets.
>>
>>376224417
>Apple analogy
>everyone I know who owns one is disappointed
I don't think you know what you're talking about
>>
>>376224642

I like buying my games legit. Kind of a moralfag I guess.
>>
>>376224837

I think the concept is fine but the execution is so-so. In a few hardware revisions and with a bigger library I think it'll corner a niche.

Really they need to boost the battery life so it can become a handheld with TV capabilities first and foremost.
>>
>>376224837
>PS
>Gaming system

Where are the games?
>>
File: nintendo_sony7fkko.gif (185KB, 673x379px) Image search: [Google]
nintendo_sony7fkko.gif
185KB, 673x379px
>>376224837
This has nothing to do with Sony. Despite the PS2 selling 150 million Nintendo was still more profitable than the Playstation division. Nintendo makes their money from their own games, the Wii and everything that came after were designed to keep budgets low.
>>
>>376226040
This, I have a lemonade stand and made $800 in profit last month, I am therefore better than Sony and any company that was ever in the red.
>>
File: ps4exc.png (3MB, 1392x1532px) Image search: [Google]
ps4exc.png
3MB, 1392x1532px
>>376225345
>>
>>376226271

I miss backwards compatibility.
>>
File: 26546546.gif (2MB, 312x250px) Image search: [Google]
26546546.gif
2MB, 312x250px
>>376224417
I dont know bra. Im playing mario kart every fucking day and having a blast. only /v/ neckbeards actually hate the switch.
>>
>>376224417
They won't become Apple until they release the Switch in a brushed aluminium model.
>>
>>376226271

If you look at this list having played some of the above 70 metascore games, you realize how low the standards are for clearing 70 metascore.

Let it die cleared 70? seriously? Did the reviewers all stop playing before they defeated the first stamp boss or something? That game ends up being a horrible chore of a grind with supremely obnoxious game design in place of interesting levels or new enemies.

>Infamous: First Light

"Hey, remember the disappointingly generic and un-adventurous open world game design that was Infamous 3? What if we made a small side campaign that limits you to a single power, and then make half of it a generic wave-based shooter in the same closed combat arena?
>>
>>376224417
>but everyone that I've spoken to
your ass and sonynegros dont count
>>
>Is Nintendo turning into the Apple of the gaming world?
Nah, only diehard Nintendo fans bought the Switch while (not only, but also) completely normal people buy apple products, that's a big difference.
Also apples price policy at their online shop is completely different, take Binding of Isaac, Apple demands 15 dollar for that game which already is pretty unreasonable but Nintendo goes full insane and demands 40. Minecraft, apple demands 8 dollars while Nintendo demands 30. Nintendo wants 40 dollars for a fucking Tetris game.
Nintendo is obviously much worse than Apple concerning software prices and they both charge too much for their hardware.
>>
>>376224417
>I've spent $500 on a console
Why the fuck did you spend nearly twice the price of the console?
>>
File: wiiuexc.png (2MB, 1362x1443px) Image search: [Google]
wiiuexc.png
2MB, 1362x1443px
>>376227174
70+ is "worth looking at" games. Some games here are arguably bad too but definitely should be there.
>>
>>376226040
>neogaf
fuck off back to your hugbox
>>
The MAIN reason I bought the switch is because of the hardware. I don't think I've ever been so geeked about a piece of hardware before, the Switch really is next level shit. Yes you can compare it to the Apple revolution.
>>
>>376227174
A 72-score for a free game means something completely different than a 72-score for a game that costs full price.
>>
>>376224417

>not an actual full-featured system.

What do you mean? The hardware is actually pretty good for a handheld, definitely revolutionary for the first parties. It can easily run something like GTA V. Epic came out saying that UE4 was easily ported to the Switch today. I think we will see some 3rd parties announced at E3.

That isn't to say some ports won't be lazy last gen ones like DQH, but that was completely unnecessary. Switch can handle more than that.
>>
>>376224417
I've owned Apple devices since 2013, and only know do I understand what my friend was trying to tell me all those years prior.

>Expensive gimmicky features
>Cheap design that can't take a drop
>Unnecessary features that don't benefit the user
>Dumb fan base that'll eat anything with Apple slapped on it.

Same applies to Nintendo users unsurprisingly.
>>
>>376227174
Reviewers are stupid
You're more likely to find quality games in the 50s because they tend to knock games down for horseshit reasons
>>
>people who bought a Switch are disappointed in the library

Then why even buy one? It's not like they hide the library and release dates from you until you buy the thing.
>>
>>376233359
>Cheap design that can't take a drop
Never been true and still isn't true, except maybe the DS/3DS hinges.
>>
>>376228586
>Nintendo demands 30. Nintendo wants 40 dollars for a fucking Tetris game
Except Sega set that price, it's $30 digitally, is mainly a Puyo Puyo game anyway, has a voice acted story campaign with shit loads of characters, and an online mode. And it's also available on PS4. Not sure how you think Nintendo or even Sega is in the wrong here.
>>
>>376224837
>they couldn't compete going head-to-head with Sony
Nintendo simple went on the direction that trying to catch up with PC muscle race is a fools errand that only will inflate hardware price, inflate development costs and time, and the quick change from tech to tech means people will be less versed on said new tech.

and they were not wrong. Games now takes longer, are more expensive to make ergo games are made more "safe bets", and devs shit the bed whenever a new arch/ engine or hardware comes out leaving us with bug ridden shit show (and the rise of DLC and shit to pay for development)
>>
I'll wait to see what kind of *RPG's it gets since those are the only games worth playing on consoles.
>>
>>376224642
It will though.
>>
>>376224417
Seems like it.

Nintendo, Apple, Starbucks, BMW...selling objectively inferior products to people at an insanely high price based on brand name/status recognition alone.
>>
>>376234019
Nintendo has gotten really good at foiling hackers. 3DS with firmware past 11.2 is currently unhackable. Man I miss the NDS days where all you had to do was buy a flash card and that was that. Now you have to jump through like three dozen hoops just for free games.
>>
>>376224417
Accurate comparison is accurate.
>>
File: ss (2017-05-05 at 05.56.05).png (69KB, 1855x746px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-05-05 at 05.56.05).png
69KB, 1855x746px
>>376234110
>objectively inferior products
show me a better handheld for 300$ that last at least 3 hours
----------------------------------------------------------
And cause we are in the shitposting mood

at the current Rate, Switch is tailing just 1 week behind 3DS to reach the 1M mark in japan after release
>>
>>376224417
Nintendos been Apple for a good while, and this is coming from a nintenbro.

Then again, I haven't bought anything Nintendo since the Wii.
>>
>>376224417
sony and microsoft have released WAY more home consoles in the past couple of years
>>
>>376234606
Did toddler seriously just change? God damn it, I thought that was reversed.
>>
>>376234570
I'll give it to Nintendo, their handheld consoles are on point and both the DS and 3DS are fantastic pieces of hardware with a fantastic library. Unfortunately they've been dropping the ball for home consoles since the Gamecube, and it looks like the Switch is going to follow that trend unless they announce some really amazing shit at E3 (which if the last few years are any indication, they won't).
>>
>>376234110

Don't forget Nike.
>>
>>376234854
>it looks like the Switch is going to follow that trend
>chart literally prove his wrong
so this is what stupid people have to live. truly pitiable
>>
>>376232545
>It can easily run something like GTA V

Is this seriously what Switch owners think? Maybe it could run GTA V on the absolute lowest settings possible, but even then "easily" is a stretch. I can't wait for Skyrim to be released on the system so that I can watch Nintenbabies cry about how bad it runs.
>>
>>376234570
>show me a better handheld for 300$ that last at least 3 hours

The 3DS.

Why lower the bar and compare the Switch to smartphones and tablets, though? If it's really the home console Nintendo markets it as, we should be comparing it to the PS4 and Bone instead.
>>
>>376235005
What the heck do sales have to do with the quality of the console's library? People bought the Switch because they wanted a handheld/console hybrid and because they're hopeful of the future. Nintendo still has plenty of time to shit all over them.
>>
>>376235065
Nah, instead they'll say that third party doesn't matter and people who play GTA aren't real gamers.

You see where I'm going with this? Drones are all brainwashed cultist that pray to the alter of Nintendo. If isn't done by Nintendo it's OBVIOUSLY shit. If it is done by Nintendo then it's the greatest thing ever XD.

You can't reason with folk like this.
>>
>>376235243
This is what gets me about people defending the Switch. They know it's extremely underwhelming as a home console, so they throw out the "It's super powerful for a handheld!" card. This still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't have any games yet though to justify the cost of entry. Heck, that Nintendo Direct we had not long ago was like a giant middle finger to Switch owners. "Look at all these cool new games 3DS owners are getting! Oh, and uh... Here, Switch owners. You get Monopoly."
>>
>>376234570
The Vita, the 3DS, the Sega Nomad, etc.

The Switch is shit, Famicom.
>>
>>376224558
Me neither, I've been waiting for a good 2DS for fucking years. The first time I am legit hyped for a Nintendo console.
>>
The only way the Switch is going to be a success is if Nintendo ports like 90% of their 3DS releases from today forward. Their handhelds get literally all of the interesting, new IPs while their consoles get the scraps. Inti Creates made a smart choice porting Blaster Master Zero to Switch, and if this console is going to be anything more than a handheld Wii U then more developers are going to have to follow suit.
>>
>>376224417
If you have the Switch and are currently disappointed in it's library, you are completely fucking retarded and might want to off yourself.
>>
>>376233856
The Ps4 version doesn't cost 40 bucks though.
>>
>>376236321
This tbqh famalams.

In only two months it has:

- BoTW: undisputed masterpiece
- MK8D: undisputed masterpiece
- Shovel Knight: one of the best 2d platformers of all time
- Snipperclips: the best couch co-op game in recent times
- puyo puyo Tetris: best puzzle game ever

If you can't find joy in playing those games then unfortunately gaming is not be the hobby for you. Perhaps you'll have more fun grinding in your generic PC online flavor of the year like LoL.
>>
>>376235243
None of my mobile devices last more than 2 hours running games that push the hardware. Even running ppsspp games on my phone kills it in under 2 hours.
I hate when devices say battery time like it means anything when the SoC actually gets utilised.
>>
>>376234273
>past 11.2
Wrong, 11.3 is perfectly hackable for CFW, and 11.4 on New 3DS can run homebrew (not Old 3DS, however).
>>
>>376233545
>You're more likely to find quality games in the 50s because they tend to knock games down for horseshit reasons
Can confirm that as true.
>>
>>376238367
Will Sony ever stop paying reviewers to downvoted Nintendo games?
>>
>>376224417
>I've spent $500 on a console that's more of a novelty than an actual full-featured gaming system like the PS4 or even the Xbox One.
You have, so have I.

I like the Switch but wow it's a horrible value currently. I've already spent roughly $530 on it and don't play it at all because I beat BOTW and MK8D is only fun with friends locally. Snipper clips and Fast RMX are the exact same way.
>>
File: WotS2.png (52KB, 648x212px) Image search: [Google]
WotS2.png
52KB, 648x212px
>>376238706
It's not just Nintendo games m8
Reviewers will latch onto any reason to bash a game if it's too hard for them to actually finish and give a proper review
>>
>>376234570
Sales in Japan are amazing considering they don't even like Zelda all that much.
>>
>>376235065

I think you're underestimating the hardware. It's not that switch can run GTA V at max settings, but at 720p moderate settings? It's not as hard as you think. GTA V was capable of running on the Wii U at low settings, it reportedly had a prototype that was workable, but the Wii U was a dud. That isn't surprising, because GTA V ran on ps360.

I'm actually interested to see how Skyrim goes if only because I want to see how Bethesda handles the port (if they're even doing it). Judging by the delay I'm thinking they're putting a little more time into it that DQH had, which was really an abysmal, low effort last gen port. Basing this on the fact Snake Pass was literally running within a week of porting. The Switch is easier to port for than past Nintendo consoles, so delay may mean Bethesda is actually trying to get an ok product. But, Bethesda is also really bad at making stable games, so that's a little concerning.

Switch isn't a powerhouse in the sense it is running current gen max setting games, but it's a 720p machine in handheld mode with the best first party handheld hardware. It can do medium settings for a lot of current gen games if third parties want to make it that way.
>>
>>376240020
>GTA V was capable of running on the Wii U at low settings, it reportedly had a prototype that was workable, but the Wii U was a dud
Provide a source, I'm highly skeptical given the PS3 and 360 versions were the equivalent of low settings and both have much faster CPUs than the Wii U.
>>
>>376240765
I should also mention that the Wii U doesn't have a hard drive standard, while GTA V on 360 required an 8GB install to the hard drive.
>>
>>376239125
What the hell was their reasoning for this? WotS2 is awesome
>>
File: boi steam.png (331KB, 1544x516px) Image search: [Google]
boi steam.png
331KB, 1544x516px
>>376228586
>>
File: 1488741626913.gif (2MB, 255x164px) Image search: [Google]
1488741626913.gif
2MB, 255x164px
>>376238367
...Why the fuck is my most favorite DS game a fucking 5 on Meta?
>>
>>376226271
If you get rid of all the weebshit theres almost nothing there.
>>
File: WotS2IGN.png (33KB, 805x498px) Image search: [Google]
WotS2IGN.png
33KB, 805x498px
>>376240932
Unfortunately the meta critic quotes are devoid of any meaningful reasons outside of "it sucks"
The reviews aren't much better.
>>
OP if you paid $500 for the console you are a retard. I bought mine this week for 260€ mint condition, screen protetor included and metal slug and kof98 in it. Getting Zelda for 40€ and mk8d for 45€ on tuesday. Learn to buy "used"
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.