[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who is the biggest Mary Sue in gaming?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 20

Who is the biggest Mary Sue in gaming?
>>
>>376216816
What the fuck is a Mary Sue
>>
>>376216890
>A Mary Sue is an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character. Often this character is recognized as an author insert or wish-fulfillment.[1] Sometimes the name is reserved only for women, and male Sues are called "Gary Stus," or "Marty Stus"; but more often the name is used for all sexes.[2][3]
>>
>>376216816
P4G Marie or ToZ Rose
>>
>>376216816

It's because DMC4 didn't have a threatening villain. The whole game was basically a big joke to Dante

Compare that to DMC3 where he actually had Vergil as his equal which made the story a lot more interesting. Also the Vergil fights themselves are just top notch
>>
>>376216932
So, like Nomura or Kojima?
>>
>>376217132

>Nomura or Kojima
>a fictional character

what the fuck
>>
Starkiller
>>
Literally perfectself insert for wish fulfilment right here.
>>
File: 1491177311724.gif (64KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
1491177311724.gif
64KB, 500x357px
Leon fucking 'hurrr i'm not gay i just chase after a woman who doesn't want my dick' Kennedy
>>
>>376216816
Mario

Literally can't lose. Always #1 every time. Always good at everything he tries. Always gets the girl
>>
Ciri
>>
>>376218328
This or Gerald the itcher IV.
>>
>>376216816
There some games where he jobs such as DMC3 and DMC1 , DMC4 was nero's game and there was no theart for dante

DMC2 doesn't even exist
>>
>>376217307
Nah, he was super autistic and was constantly tricked or played by people. He was a super powerful force user and lightsaber duellist, which is fine because he was trained by Vader all of his life.

Juno falling for him was a bit Sue'ish, but he did save her life a couple of times and he was about to die so the kiss wasn't that weird. The sequel made it weirder.
>>376218061
Fair enough
>>376218328
Also fair enough
>>376218363
Again, she was powerful but she wasn't perfect. She was tricked and used by various characters, she made mistakes, acted selfishly from time to time, she had a temper and a serious inferiority complex. Her flaws are what made her such an enjoyable character, her being best girl doesn't make her a Mary Sue.
>>376219545
Geralt was an anti-social meathead, but he doesn't really have a lot of flaws despite not coming across like a Mary Sue, at least not to me.
He had a lot going for him, and he was good at his job, but he was far from universally liked and that's a hallmark of a Mary Sue. Geralt got shat on continuously every day of his life, that just gets mitigated by all the hot sorceress sex he gets.
>>
Commander Shepard is up there
>>
figured asura would be here as much as i enjoy the shit out of the spectacle
>>
>>376216932
aka Marie from Persona 4 Golden
>>
>>376220174
This is completely wrong.
>>
>>376216816
Raiden easily
>>
>>376220086
I think ciris a mary sue because she has lots of traits that mary sues often have. She has unusual coloured hair, she has an overly long name, shes literally royalty, everyone loves her, she has a special power, she's also bisexual.
>>
>>376220086
autism
>>
Doom Guy
>>
>>376221997
None of that makes her a Mary Sue though, being likeable and capable doesn't make her one no matter how royal she technically is. A Mary Sue is literally perfect and can do no wrong, whereas Ciri's entire arc hinges on the fact that without support from her loving family she literally doesn't have the confidence in herself or fortitude enough to succeed.

She's powerful but she's fallible, and she's full of self doubt. She lets people down and people she cares about get hurt because of her missteps. Ciri's definitely not a Mary Sue no matter what colour her hair is, ashen blonde is a colour that actual people have, you know. It's not a fantasy colour, my Mum has hair like that.
>>
>>376221404
>Raiden easily

Raiden was a whiny bitch, not a Mary Sue
>>
>>376222520
Ciri is one thousand percent a Mary Sue
>>
>>376216816
The Boss
>>
>>376222632
She has flaws though, so she isn't by definition. I get where people are coming from, but Mary Sue gets overused, she's better written than that.
>>
>>376220086
Geralt was a fucking mary sue tho

He's literally the perfect guy who you want to self insert as. Manly, powerful, fucks hot bitches, intelligent, etc... He didn't had any flaws that wasn't just some extremely minor thing.

Him being such a perfect character while being in a realistic setting is exactly what makes him a mary sue, while characters like Mario or Dante come from very exeggeratedly fictional settings and don't take themselves that seriously.
>>
>>
>>376222886
A big hallmark of a Mary Sue is being universally liked, and Geralt definitely isn't. That said within the setting he is ridiculously perfect and he's probably the closest thing to a proper Mary Sue in the setting. So I probably agree with you there, more or less.
>>
>>376222242
Doomguy wasn't intended to be an actual character, the whole point of Doom is to be a crazy heavy metal fantasy about a space man killing creatures from hell.
>>
>>376223147
> is being universally liked, and Geralt definitely isn't.
You are using that "universally" too literally, not even mascot characters can be universally liked since they have at least one enemy.
Geralt only got hated because of his witcher origin.
>>
>>376223147
>A big hallmark of a Mary Sue is being universally liked
no it isn't

Rey in Force Awakens was the biggest Mary Sue in the hollywood history and most people disliked her exactly because of that.
>>
Bayonetta. You never get the feeling in these games that she is ever in danger.
>>
>>376218061
Came to post this. Ada is a huge Mary Sue herself too

>>376217836
Also this.
>>
>>376223629
Universally liked as in universally liked in-canon, anon.
>>
>>376223493
Geralt didn't get on with plenty of characters purely because he was abrasive or didn't prescribe to other character's views or lifestyles. But I guess that could really depend on just how you play him.
>>376223629
Being universally liked in Universe mate. Out of universe Mary Sues can be unpopular as any character, usually more so because people get annoyed at how badly they're written.
>>
>>376223741
>larger than life sperheroine is a "mary sue" for being a larger than life heroine.
>>
>>376223986
how can that be a requirement then? Every hero needs to have enemies, and being "muh dark knight" who are hated by people because they are dumb won't make the character in itself inperfect
>>
>>376223959
>Also this.
According to OP he can't be that since Adachi utterly despises him and everything he represents.
>>
File: image.jpg (128KB, 1280x720px)
image.jpg
128KB, 1280x720px
>>376216932
That's hilarious, i always thought gary stu meant you figurativly get fucked up the ass by everyone and do dumb shit everyone asks you to just to not upset them.

Like Kiryu Kazuma. The man spent 10 years in Prison for people that wither cucked him or tried to kill him when he got out. That mans life is not his fucking own i swear.
>>
>>376224246
Characters with actual traits are liked and disliked by characters who admire or abhor who the character is. Obviously villains have to oppose the MC but a lack of universal popularity with everybody else means there are things about the character that other character's dislike, meaning they aren't "perfect".

Also a lot of villains are more complex than "I don't like you" there are plenty of villains who are just trying to solve the same problem as the hero through different means. Villains that admire the hero as an opponent or whatever reason. And villains that believe the hero is the real villain.
Character relationships aren't always black and white, anon.
>>
File: 1471028849757.png (287KB, 368x469px) Image search: [Google]
1471028849757.png
287KB, 368x469px
Since when is getting stabbed by farmers is being a Mery Sue???
>>
>>376222747
> she's better written than that.
There you are wrong, being "idealized" and "universally liked" isn't necessarily bad writing, the quality of the writing depends on a lot of other elements and on the contexts you put the character in it.
As >>376222886 said Geralt is
>Manly, powerful, fucks hot bitches, intelligent, etc... He didn't had any flaws that wasn't just some extremely minor thing.
but he's not a badly written character at all.

>>376224680
>Character relationships aren't always black and white, anon.
His point was that using "universally" has a concrete and absolute concept doesn't make sense in any case.
>>
>>376225067
as* a concrete and absolute
>>
Lightning maybe? I only played 13, dunno about 13-2 or 13-3.
>>376217069
Came to post this, though Nero did punch up Dante. Even then, Nero was being toyed with.
>>
File: marysue.jpg (166KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
marysue.jpg
166KB, 1191x670px
>>376216816
>>
>>376225067
I was actually saying that being well written Ciri isn't a Mary Sue, her not having the hallmarks of a Mary Sue and her being written are different points but they are intrinsically linked.

I never said Geralt was badly written, quite the opposite, but Geralt also isn't "universally" liked and had many personality traits you could call negative so doesn't qualify as a Mary Sue that is well written, if that's what you're trying to say.

I'd say his point was that nobody can be universally liked because there will always be a straw "baddie" to oppose the hero. Which isn't always true.
>>
>>376225714
*her being well written
>>
Literally not a single one of any of the characters stated in this thread has been a Mary Sue.
You are all fucking retarded.
>>
>>376216816
"Mary Sue" means they're fan-made characters put into an official game and are so strong and amazing they become the center of it.

Can you point out any time in gaming that this has happened?
>>
>>376225714
>but they are intrinsically linked.
I got you meant that, that's why I tried to explain why those concepts shouldn't be linked. She could be a MS-ish and still being well written, the factors that make good and bad writing are much more than 3.

>I never said Geralt was badly written
I know, I used him as an example to point out that even someone as mary sue-ish as him (in the games) can still be considered a well written character.

>isn't "universally" liked
He basically is if you don't use "universally" as a concrete and absolute concept. Everyone who knows his personality likes him a lot. The rest are enemies who don't have any personal reason to hate him, just concrete conflicts for concrete reasons, and idiots.
Basically what >>376224246 said
> Every hero needs to have enemies, and being "muh dark knight" who are hated by people because they are dumb won't make the character in itself inperfect
>>
>>376225705
Do people really liked that chara design.
>>
>>376217836
And it's a large part of why the games do so well
>>
>>376226472

The closest thing to that is Aqua.
>>
>>376216816
Dante isn't a Mary Sue, and people misuse that term a lot.

It refers to a character who the (usually really shitty) author inserts to stand as an idealized version of themselves, transforming the entire story into mental masturbation for the author's wish fulfillment. Mary Sue is the pretty and popular girl that's new at Hogwarts and all the Harry Potter characters just think she's the absolute best at everything! in someone's terrible fan fiction.

Dante is different. Dante (like Superman or a million other characters that people call Mary Sues when they aren't) is obviously a power fantasy character, in that he's an immortal, incomparable badass who cracks jokes and fucks around all the while, but he doesn't exist to stand in for the author. He's supposed to be someone the whole audience can root for, and his exploits exist in the games because it makes the player feel cool.

The game doesn't exist because the author is hoping to write some self-fellating story that he can live out in his imagination to feel better about himself. The game exists because it's fun to go along for the ride with a character who can backflip while firing two handguns and eating pizza.

The distinction is: with Mary Sues, only the author is getting anything out of how "perfect" the character is, and her inclusion is a detriment to the work. If the audience is enjoying it, it's not a Mary Sue.
>>
>>376226868
It would have annoyed me without the goofy and weird choices. It's also the only thing that the anime did well. Did they kept something like that in Arena and DAN?
>>
>>376227130
From Kingdom Hearts? Which fan created her?
>>
>>376216890
A forced meme.
>>
File: Shamanthrall.png (344KB, 403x598px) Image search: [Google]
Shamanthrall.png
344KB, 403x598px
>>
>>376226472
Gackt and FF7
>>
>>376226693
If you can name 1 Mary Sue that is well written I'll concede the point, but I think that if you've written a character that has no flaws then they're not going to be relatable and you've done a piss poor job.

But that doesn't work as an analogy, because all you've said is: "This character who isn't a Mary Sue, but has some of the traits of one, is well written." Great, but he isn't a Mary Sue so the point is void.

No he isn't and using "universally" is fine as a touchstone word for "well liked by the vast portion of the populous, leaning towards a 100% approval rating" although if you like I can write that out every time.
Lot's of people dislike Geralt because he's rude, abrasive, holier than thou, nosy, uncompromising and generally sleeps around. Putting aside the stigma he gets for his mutations and just looking at his personality, depending on how you play him in the games he can be either;
A: Well liked generally but not by everyone because he's kind of an asshole.
B: Generally disliked because he's a cunt.
or
C:Somewhere in the middle.
Not everyone who gets to know him likes him, Avallach certainly didn't, neither did Phillipa or a good number of the Lodge, even the benign ones dislike him for various personality traits. Saying "oh but all of his friends like him" isn't an argument, of course his friends like him, that's why they're his friends.
>>
>>376216890
First day on the internet?

In regards to the topic, Lightning. Every time I think of the roses I smirk.
>>
File: uEzvuHZ.gif (2MB, 247x183px) Image search: [Google]
uEzvuHZ.gif
2MB, 247x183px
>>376217069
I actually really like the way that Uncle Dante's appearance puts Nero's struggle into perspective. For Nero all the shit he's fight is this huge battle against impossible odds. He's struggling to beat these crazy powerful characters and save his beloved and Nero is completely mired in his Byronesque tragic hero edge shit, then Dante shows up and refuses to take him or anything else happening seriously. It's fucking great.
>>
>>376227575
Thrall meets dictionary definitions of a Mary Sue

>Everything he says is well respected even by his enemies.
>Nay-Sayers (Garrosh) become hated overtime
>Thrall embarks on a quest to save the entire world and only HE can do it for reasons
>With Garrosh in charge everyone asks where did Thrall go
>Despite Garrosh doing nothing wrong Thrall is asked by everyone including his former enemies to take his place back
>Garrosh fights honorably as an Orc against Thrall, Thrall cheats with magic. No one cares.
>Voiced by his creator

When he dies it will be the biggest spectacle in the entire game
>>
>>376222520
That whole spiel you just gave about "she's powerful but insecure" is beat for beat a preteen's Mary Sue with "flaws".
>>
>>376227385
You perfectly nailed it, but it's also true that nowadays people use mary sue as synonymous for power fantasy characters, or they just take into consideration 3 factors (idealized/really skilled, realy liked in universe, self insert material) while ignoring what you explained.

If younger people want to know what a proper Gary Stue is and want to understand what this anon perfectly explained while having a good laugh, they should watch that comedy episode of Buffy about it: a secondary character gets the power to turn into his own wish fulfillment and becomes the literal definition of gary stue.
>>
>>376226472
No that's not what it means.
>>
>>376228265
t. manchild
>>
>>376216816
DMC3 Dante is a much better protagonist with actual character development. DMC4 Dante is drafted like a "cool" mentor side character who apart from showing off a lot doesn't actually do or experience much.

Despite people loving Dante's gameplay in 4, the entire story is built around Nero. Don't know if they decided to make Dante the way he is from the start, or because of cut content considering his part of the story campaign is the worst case of recycling ever witnessed.
>>
>>376228560
No, man. It's more about Dante having dealt with some real universe ending shit in Devil May Cry 1 and 3. Compared to all the shit Dante saw during those games the shit in DMC4 is pretty small.

It's the best way to deal with power creep while keeping the game ccccrazy. You pretty much either have to introduce a new character or go really weird..
>>
>>376227841
Him not being "universally liked" is pretty much outweighed by the fact that everyone who doesn't like him is pictured in a bad light, is weaker than him, or just exists to try and force the reader/player to sympathize with Geralt. A lot of times people who hate him get some sort of "karma" coming back at them, either by Geralt killing them himself or something worse happening. Pretty Mary Sue to me.
>>
>>376223493
And because he tries to bullshit his way through with the whole "neutrality" aspect.

Characters smarter than the average peasant give him shit for that smarmy nonsense
>>
>>376216816
Video games dont have mary sues.

Mary sues are overpowered 1 dimensional women characters.
>>
File: 1473282467842.png (20KB, 428x489px) Image search: [Google]
1473282467842.png
20KB, 428x489px
Did people miss the fact that outside of demon hunting; Dante is bit of a loser?
Constantly broke with no luck in woman or gambling. Sits around eating pizza all day and reading woman's catalogues.
>>
>>376229294
That's the perspective of the story though, lot's the character's who aren't antagonists who disagree with Geralt have their own reasons for doing so, but obviously we see Geralt's side more clearly because we're viewing the narrative through his eyes. This is why novels tend to have PoV shifts so we can view characters from other perspectives, and see a situation or the MC's actions differently. The game doesn't really have that, but that doesn't make Geralt a Mary Sue. People dislike him because of his negative traits, the fact that we can see their negative traits as clearly just means they aren't Mary Sue's either.
>>
Lala Kraft?
>>
>>376229883
from the DMC1 manual, dante is show as a 2cool4u dude who pick his job whenever he feels like it
even his "money problem" is part of being a mary sue.
also he doesn't have issues with women, they're always all over his dick in every game
>>
File: 1468161749491.jpg (6KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
1468161749491.jpg
6KB, 236x236px
>>376230343
>they're always all over his dick in every game
now I know you're baiting
>>
>>376227841
>If you can name 1 Mary Sue that is well written I'll concede the point,
You didn't exaplined how Geralt wasn't already enough. But most characters posted in this thread are idealized/really skilled, really liked in universe, self insert material and they aren't bad characters at all, each one for different reasons.

>you've done a piss poor job.
Nah, it's just that you have a poor idea of what good writing is.
Another example was alredy posted, this >>376227385 anon already explained why Dante is well written, that's Dante's job as character
>He's supposed to be someone the whole audience can root for, and his exploits exist in the games because it makes the player feel cool.
He does that very well, it's well written.
Another example could be Leon since you said that you consider him a Gary Stue, he's an excellent action B-movie hero.

>This character who isn't a Mary Sue, but has some of the traits of one
Because this thread has no real Mary Sues, only chracters that can have one or more of the 3 factors we have talked about, that's why I kept using "Mary sue-ish". And you won't find any real Mary Sue in gaming or other media, that definition wasn't meant for real characters. For the rest >>376227385 >>376228449

>Lot's of people dislike Geralt because he's rude, abrasive, holier than thou, nosy, uncompromising
Oh, please, in the game that got sold as a part of his manly attitude, while in the books those things become real flaws.
For the rest I agree with >>376229294
>>
>>376230448
>leave the castle with non-mom in his arms, she's the one awnsering the phone
>lady, the demon-killer, just became "friend" once she killed daddy
>in dmc4 they often hang out at dante's

please, every women pictured in the serie (except muh kirie) are living with him
>>
>>376230657
theres 3 women in the series, two are friends with him and one lives with him. Don't see the
>they're always all over his dick in every game
>>
>>376230550
>You didn't exaplined how Geralt wasn't already enough
Yes I did though.

>Nah, it's just that you have a poor idea of what good writing is.
I'd say that's you, champ. That Anon's post was good though, unfortunately it has no bearing on your argument because it reflects a world of unrealistic expectations and larger than life characters, as the Witcher setting is more grounded, so are it's characters and a different balance is expected.

>Leon since you said that you consider him a Gary Stue, he's an excellent action B-movie hero.
Great, but we're not talking about Leon. Also I just said that person's post was "fair enough", I didn't say whether I actually thought he was a Mary Sue or not, I actually don't know enough about the character to say.

>Because this thread has no real Mary Sues
That's what I'm saying, what the fuck are we even arguing about? You're whole thing was that a Mary Sue can be well written, then you failed to provide an example, then you said Geralt was one and I hadn't said why he wasn't in this very post, and now you're saying there are none in this thread. Get your story straight, anon.

>Oh, please, in the game that got sold as a part of his manly attitude, while in the books those things become real flaws
I didn't interpret it that way at all. Also you're saying that in the books he's a more balanced character, great, but we're talking about the game. And in the game he has flaws that we can see, and see people react negatively to. That's all I've been saying this whole time, and you can link to other Anon's posts all you like, it doesn't make your argument any more cohesive. As we've seen you don't actually have a point because you can't even keep it straight what you're trying to say for one post.
>>
>>376231638
*your
>>
>>376222520
That's a Mary Sue, man. If she were power, but that power used years from her life, and so she's more self-preserving than willing to help others. She cuts corners when she does try to help people that ends up with her having to use her powers, because her cutting corners resulted in a bigger fuck up, then that would be relatable flaws that actually mean something. Insecurity with powerful characters should only be a flaw if it results in actual consequences that effects the people around her.
>>
>>376232427
But it does, did you forget the bit where Ciri uses her powers and the Wild Hunt literally murder an entire village of people who sheltered her, trying to force her into the open. She has a whole mission about it, and then another about going back and burying someone called a coward and basically sentenced to death unfairly for trying to help her escape.
>>
>>376230343
>poverty is a trait of being a mary sue

fuck off
>>
>>376230657
And it's implied Lady often hangs blackmail and money over his head with Trish just kind of stealing his shit
>>
File: Smug fuck.jpg (23KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
Smug fuck.jpg
23KB, 500x309px
The Chosen undead. Even his name. Cringe.
>>
>>376223741
This. It's one of the reasons she's so cool though. The only time she's worried is when her friends are in danger.
>>
>>376231638
>I'd say that's you, champ.
Sure, then let me read how characters you have labeled as mary sue so far are bad characters.

>it has no bearing on your argument
Are you serious?

>because it reflects a world of unrealistic expectations and larger than life characters, as the Witcher setting is more grounded
The hell? Who the hell linked these 2 series, and why the hell are you linking them now. You sound really, really confused.

>but we're not talking about Leon
What? we were talking about this
>>376227841
>If you can name 1 Mary Sue that is well written

>Also I just said that person's post was "fair enough"
Which means that you agreed. Are you seriously nitpicking so hard?

>I didn't say whether I actually thought he was a Mary Sue or not, I actually don't know enough about the character to say.
Then don't write that you agree with him, it's not hard.

>That's what I'm saying, what the fuck are we even arguing about?
We are talking about what characters that I call Mary sue-ish, the same chracters you have called Mary sue so far. You know, the 3 factors you've talked about? We have always talked about them. Can you try to not get so confused?

> then you failed to provide an example,
After Geralt, I talked about Dante and Leo.
"I don't kow who is Leon" isn't an argument. Let's ignore how you suddenly pulled the witcher while wewere taking about dante for no fucking reason.

>Get your story straight, anon
Ok, that made me laugh.
>Me: mary sue-ish characters (the one you have called mary sues) aren't necessarily bad written chracters
>You: give me some examples
>Me: I'll use two characters that got labeled as mary sue in this thread: Dante is a great larger than life hero, Leon is a good action b-movie hero.
>B-b-ut the witcher, the witcher, and I don't actually know who leon is.
Shit is getting hilarious.
>>
>>376216932
So literally every video game protagonist ever? Great thread nigger.
>>
>>376233762

>>376231638
>And in the game he has flaws that we can see, and see people react negatively to.
Nah, it's exactly like >>376222886 said
>He didn't had any flaws that wasn't just some extremely minor thing.
It's not a matter of being more balanced, those things becomes real flaws only in the books, in the game they weren't.
But feel free to disagree.

>As we've seen you don't actually have a point because you can't even keep it straight what you're trying to say for one post.
Dude, you are fucking crazy.
>>
>>376233762
>Sure, then let me read how characters you have labeled as mary sue so far are bad characters.
Please do, since I've been on the non-Mary Sue train this whole thread I'd love to hear about who I think is a Mary Sue.

>The hell? Who the hell linked these 2 series,
You did, you fucking idiot. You used the other anon's argument about Dante as an example in our argument about Geralt but that didn't work because the settings are so different the same "rules" of representation don't apply. Seriously how poor is your fucking reading comprehension?

>What? we were talking about this
But he wasn't a Mary Sue, you said so, so he isn't a Mary Sue that was well written, are you fucking drunk?

>Then don't write that you agree with him, it's not hard.
Don't project what you thought I meant, I never said the word's "Leon is a Mary Sue" I just like the Leon memes, sorry that at the start of this thread I was being light, I didn't expect to have to explain basic character writing to a fucking Aspy all afternoon.

>We are talking about what characters that I call Mary sue-ish, the same chracters you have called Mary sue so far.
I have literally called no character a Mary Sue, I've been arguing that character's people have been naming in this thread aren't Mary Sue's, seriously, how bad is your reading comprehension? Are you concussed, it's been my whole stance since my first comment.

>Let's ignore how you suddenly pulled the witcher while wewere taking about dante for no fucking reason.
I never brought up Dante! You did, and then I said that had no bearing on Geralt, which is what we were talking about.

>Me: Can you provide an example of a well written Mary Sue?
>You: Duurrrr, Dante and Leon aren't Mary Sues!
>Me: OK, not what I asked. Can you think of one?
>You: Buh!? What about Geralt! He's not a Mary Sue!
>Me: I know, that's what I said. I don't think you know what's happening here.
>You: HAHAHA! You so stupid, you think everyone a Mary Sue!
>>
File: P5_Sakura_being_a_hacker_at_work.png (691KB, 1280x708px) Image search: [Google]
P5_Sakura_being_a_hacker_at_work.png
691KB, 1280x708px
Wayy to perfect at hacking and does shit that would require teams to deal with all alone
>>
>>376235203
Nothing on the P4MC
>>
>every game chaarcter I hate is a Mary Sue!

This thread in a nutshell. "Mary Sue" joins the ranks of cuck, casual, kino, and every other word people here use as an all-purpose insult.
>>
>>376233026
No you fuck off

>muh money problems
>still manage to have money for the coolest weapons and gear
>manages to get a fucking bike on hell
>>
>>376234930
Jesus christ, man. That's a huge load of confusion and dishonesty you have got there.

Let's start from the basic shit.
>You: Duurrrr, Dante and Leon aren't Mary Sues!
Never said that, I think peole are right when they see them as mary sue-ish characters.
Inb4 what's a Mary Sue-ish characters?
reply: a character that is idealized/really skilled, realy liked in universe, self insert material to high degree. Which is what people meant as "mary sue" nowadays, while the original meaning is related to fanfiction self insert of the author.

Now, please quote the post that made you think that I thought they weren't mary sue-ish characters.

>He's not a Mary Sue!
The hell? I have said that he's absolutely mary sue-ish since the first thing I posted.
Again, let me see what confused you so fucking much.

>You: HAHAHA! You so stupid, you think everyone a Mary Sue!
Dude, seriously?

>I have literally called no character a Mary Sue, I've been arguing that character's people have been naming in this thread aren't Mary Sue's
>A guy: leon is a mary sue
>You: Fair enough
It means that you disagreed, right? Stop being such a dishonest twat, admit that you stupidly wrote something that caused a misunderstanding about leon and move on.
>>
>>376235908
>coolest weapons and gear

He literally sells all the weapon he picks up each game and start a new game with his sword and handguns
>>
>>376217836
The P5 protagonist is even worse in this regard though
>>
>>376235908
>Sword inherited from his father
>Wasn't even his bike, that was Lady's - which he stole
>>
>>376236189
Ok, we're clearly not getting anywhere here, you obviously thought I was trying to say something I wasn't for the bulk of this exchange, and I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the same about you.
That being the case, this has been an enormous waste of both of our afternoons and we should go do something else, because you're getting fixated on two words I said about Leon, before we started talking about Geralt, I think to distract from the fact that this has been an entirely pointless exercise, maybe to save face? I don't know, don't really care. Even if you're not this is going nowhere fast and I think us spitting at each other is the only thing keeping this thread alive.

You have fun, man. Enjoy the rest of your day, I'm going to go do something more productive.
Feel free to take this as a win, if you like.
>>
>>376216816
Honoka from DoA5:LR. She gets extra Mary Sue points and extra Shit Character points for being a fanfic tier character that was put in late into the game's life and had no involvement or input from the original creator of the series.

She's
>blood related to one of the true protagonists, Ayane, despite never being heard of beforehand
>was given the biggest boobs, even above the tall dominant powerhouse girls
>was given the ultimate power of being able to learn any fighting technique just by seeing it happen once, even if it's over TV or something similar
>taken over the spotlight as the covergirl of the series along with another newcomer who is equally as shallow and blatantly as pandering, both preventing actual classic fan favorite characters from appearing in the newest spin-off volleyball game

Pic not related. This newcomer is not Honoka, and was actually a good addition to the roster that didn't poison and destroy DoA.
>>
>>376236189
>I think peole are right when they see them as mary sue-ish characters.

Because those people are idiots who don't know what the term means.

>reply: a character that is idealized/really skilled, realy liked in universe, self insert material to high degree. Which is what people meant as "mary sue" nowadays, while the original meaning is related to fanfiction self insert of the author.

So by that logic Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Fox McCloud, all Final Fantasy protagonists, shit every single game hero ever is a Mary Sue.
>>
>>376236763
>Feel free to take this as a win, if you like.
No idea why you are still have been so aggressive, nobody want to win anything. You just got really confused and then hysteric for no reason. I'm still curious about what post confused you, though.
>>
>>376235908
He didnt buy any of those things. Play the games some time.
>>
>>376237384
>Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Fox McCloud,
I doubt someone could ever consider a mascot character self insert material to high degree. As I said in another post, people often use " mary sue" as synonymous for power fantasy characters, the self insert/wish fulfilment part of the meaning is still the most important part.

>Because those people are idiots who don't know what the term means.
That's how the term gets used nowaday, me or you can't change that. It's like how "weeb" got a totally different meaning in the last years.
Meanings change, especially on the internet, here people use words how the hell they want, then shit becomes viral very quickly, and then the original meaning becomes a curiosity people (especially the younger ones) don't care about.
>>
>>376216816
Professor Layton.
>>
>>376238928
ALL characters are "power fantasy characters", you are playing as them and defeating fantastical super-powerful enemies with them. So by your definition they are all Mary Sues.
>>
>>376217069
Beowulf's fight was a close one too. He had to make a lucky throw in the cutscene after it to win. And Arkham needed both brothers working together.
>>
>>376216816
Anything belonging to the lore of a game made by blizzard.
>>
File: 1463341439406.jpg (48KB, 500x479px) Image search: [Google]
1463341439406.jpg
48KB, 500x479px
>>376226846
>chara
>>
>>376233221
I like how (((NPCs))) who want you to link the Fire call your character Chosen Undead whereas Kaathe addresses the player character as Undead Warrior.
>>
>>376228294
Christ, did they take Thrall that far?

I remember him being an awfully reasonable and wise orc back in WC3, but still...
>>
File: half-life-2.jpg (259KB, 1600x1200px)
half-life-2.jpg
259KB, 1600x1200px
>ctrl+f
>"gordon freeman"
>0 of 0
c'mon guise
>>
>>376240253
>literally becomes a toy for Agent Doesheworkonanyone by the end of the first game
>has to be rescued by other characters like when a big strong Advisor almost crushed him by his intellect
>>
>>376239972
yeah i think it's short for character.
>>376226846
people who are into traps (dudes in girls clothing, still male) are.
She has very masculine features. But y'know. Current year, something something.
>>
File: Starkiller_Cato_Neimoidia.png (987KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Starkiller_Cato_Neimoidia.png
987KB, 1280x720px
>>376216816
>Ctrl+F
>s-t-a
>>376217307

I knew you couldn't forget, /v/. A taste that bitter doesn't just go away.

But you know what? It was video games. Video games are notorious for poor writing and character development. It was to be expected. I wasn't really prepared for The Force Awakens though. Now I'm just waiting to see if Rey will surpass Galen Marek as the ultimate Star Wars Mary Sue. Bonus points if the two of them have a series-ruining DBZ-esque final fight in one of the movies, to seal the deal and bury Star Wars forever, like the Matrix did to itself.
>>
>>376223629
>Rey in Force Awakens was the biggest Mary Sue in the hollywood history and most people disliked her exactly because of that.
Funny thing is she's not even the biggest one in Star Wars.
>>
>>376240983
Who's a bigger one? Movies only please, no fanfic bullshit.
>>
>>376240752
>yeah i think it's short for character
It's gay and stupid is what it is.
>>
>>376237080
Unironically and hilariously this
>>
>>376241419
and so is Horizon Zero Dawn.
>>
File: 129791361364.jpg (79KB, 716x768px) Image search: [Google]
129791361364.jpg
79KB, 716x768px
>>376228294
>No one cares.

Wasn't Thrall getting his shit pushed in during Legion a direct result of that?
>>
>>376241269
Movies? Anakin. Especially in Episode 1 (winning a podrace against established veterans, flying a starship with no experience, and singlehandedly winning the Battle for Naboo). Luke blowing up the Death Star in New Hope could also count. Rey at least seems to have had SOME formal training before episode 7 and Kylo took a bolt straight to the chest (which should've killed him) and was already a bit banged up from Flynn, and was pretty clearly trying not to kill her. Sueness/Stuness, that just seems to be a Skywalker thing.

Although honestly I'd probably say Kylo Ren too. Considering again, that potshot from Chewie should've killed him on the spot and, if it weren't for insane plot armor, it would've.

Still find it hilarious you immediately clarify movies only because you know damn well you'd lose that one hard by the by. Kyp Durron in particular's a ridiculous "I win" button on that one.
>>
>>376241843
>Movies? Anakin

Not even reading further because that's absolutely retarded. He's an arrogant little shit everyone among the jedi hate, he falls to the dark side, gets BTFO by Dooku, gets BTFO by Obi-Wan, played like a fiddle by Sheev.
>>
>>376242078
Looks like I win again, then. Like I always do.

Goddamn I'm a badass.
>>
>>376242078
Not in the first movie.
>>
>>376242250
Well if your goal is to look really fucking stupid then you win really hard indeed, brosefina. Badass.
>>
>>376242315
Oh yeah, I guess Rey isn't a Mary Sue either until you go past the first 5 minutes of screentime!
>>
>>376242364
Still kicked your ass like it ain't shit.

Face it, I'm better than you. That only makes you 99.99% of all mankind.
>>
>>376242545
Does she already have 3 movies (plus 3 more where she is a mysterious badass villain voiced by Tulsa Doom) like he does?
>>
>>376242974
Why is that even relevant? Do you have a crystal ball? We're arguing based on what we know. And what we know is that Rey is a gigantic fucking Mary Sue. Maybe in the second movie she won't be, or maybe she will become twice the Mary Sue she already was. It's not relevant. You said there's someone in SW who is a bigger Mary Sue than Rey is but your example was embarrassingly stupid.
>>
>>376243382
That wasn't me, I just joined the conversation.
>>
File: BestThereIs.jpg (120KB, 642x722px) Image search: [Google]
BestThereIs.jpg
120KB, 642x722px
>>376216816
my dark souls character
>>
>>376244250
I bet he/she/it couldn't even fuck Fire and Dark both and illuminate Darkness without fire.
>>
Corrin from Fire Emblem Fates.
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.