[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it doomed from the start not to live up to the hype? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

Was it doomed from the start not to live up to the hype?

What could have been done differently? Was it possible to save it?
>>
>>376205163
Having a plot.
>>
>>376205163
Actually finish
>>
Kojima did the right thing in relegating the plot to tapes you can listen while actually playing the game. The plot has some unfinished ends but overall it's fine.

The marketing for the game was very powerful but pretty deceptive as well. Either ways, V is a great game, even if it doesn't please the most cancerous part of the MGS fanbase.
>>
It's quite literally missing half the game, that's the only reason it didn't live up to the hype. I'll fight anyone who says the ending is intentional.
>>
I don't know why people focus on its lack of plot. Besides that, its absolute shit locations/gameplay (NOT CONTROLS/MECHANICS) are an even bigger crime. As people always bring up, if it was 10-15 open maps like GZ, as opposed to being one open world, it would be god-tier.
>>
>>376205637

The ending was not the original ending but it was a compromise ending due to circumstances. That is also true for every game ever made. Very few thing s will come out exactly as the author intended.

I'm am of the belief that they didn't cut enough content, I don't need the extra stuff after mission 31. Also the quite storyline could have been in the first Act.

>>376205897

The locations are in a middle ground between absolute shit and god-teir, it's called completely fine. The gameplay (NOT CONTROLS/MECHANICS) is also the best in any stealth game ever, you can do a million things and they all work, enemies respond in ways that make sense, and if you want to play it as a fps the game will adapt to you.
>>
File: PhantomPain.jpg (348KB, 1080x1080px)
PhantomPain.jpg
348KB, 1080x1080px
>>376205163
>What could have been done differently?

I've been thinking about this for a while

>Actually well structured plot. Keep Skull-Face having an unsatisfactory death mid-way through, but establish babby Liquid and his Lord of the Flies buddies as an overall arc that builds up to a satisfying finale with Sallypus on the African island.
>This also means removing the stupid "Chapter" shit, have MGS4 style acts if you want but the massive segregation just hollows out the narrative/pacing
>MAKE THE WORLD FEEL ALIVE. Mujahdeen patrolling/fighting Soviets in Afghanistan, Mercenary companies fighting eachother in Africa and maybe some civvie villages. Soldiers, helicopters, vehicles all populating Mother Base.
>Have side-objectives on mother base or little cutscenes like stumbling on a Diamond Dogs CQC session or training the soldiers how to shoot
>MAKE BIG BOSS GO GLOBAL. Two big main empty open worlds, Angola and Afghanistan. Then, have some "side-campaigns" to break up the main plot that are linear and a mix of level design between Ground Zeroes and Peace Walker.
>Set these "Side-Campaigns" in actual IRL conflicts in the 1980s. Chad-Libyan war, Ethiopian Civil War, Kurdish uprising/Iran-Iraq war, Sri-Lankan civil war. All so you can actually feel like the globetrotting mercenary that Big Boss is meant to be.
>Side-campaigns are dense, but linear and compartively small to the big empty open world maps.

cont.
>>
>>376206340
cont.

>ACTUALLY SET UP THE VENOM TWIST. Have bringing Paz MSF/Peace Walker photos/memories as well as the 1980s pop music tapes you find as an actual marked side-quest for you to follow throughout the game. Foreshadow the shit out of something being wrong with the world in these scenes
>Have an epilogue Act/Chapter following the big Liquid Snake/Sallypus bombastic island finale where you get a mission to retrieve an old MSF solider, but he's being held in Camp Omega. Return to Camp Omega mission
>The same as Paz was, he's actually been gutted and has a package in his gut. Have surrealist "Oh shit it's happening again moment" as Venom Snake cuts out a package with the peace sign, but this time there's string on it, when pulled opens the package
>It's the "Man Who Sold The World" casette tape, not a bomb. You bring it to Paz in a weird "What the hell is happening" surrealist scene.
>Then you get the Venom twist and the Paz isn't real twist all in one sequence as Paz's hospital room is revealed to be the one where Snake listens to the tape in the intro
>Doubles the impact of Big Boss being a hypocritical shit as he literally used one of his own men just to deliver a message

My ideas might be shit, but I've been thinking about this since 2015.
>>
>>376205163
An actual chapter 2 and not repeat missions and not pussyfooting around dark subject matters
Even rearranging bits of CH2 into CH1 and making it so you destroyed sahalanthropus instead of recovering it, with some sort of actual leadup to MG1 wouldve been enough.

Also either filling the "open world" with random occurences/encounters, or removing it and putting more attention to key points.

Lastly, just shit to do on motherbase other than target practice, showering, and Paz whenever they forcibly drag your ass there.

Although pleasing everyone is impossible anyways.
>>
>>376206340
>MAKE THE WORLD FEEL ALIVE. Mujahdeen patrolling/fighting Soviets in Afghanistan, Mercenary companies fighting eachother in Africa and maybe some civvie villages. Soldiers, helicopters, vehicles all populating Mother Base.
>Have side-objectives on mother base or little cutscenes like stumbling on a Diamond Dogs CQC session or training the soldiers how to shoot

This. I found the world reaaaaally lifeless. Shining lights didn't mean anything, as I didn't grow a bond with my soldiers because MB was so dead and lacking.
>>
>>376206402
>Actually set up the Venom twist
Anyone that played MGS3 knew from the fucking tutorial that you weren't BB, the fuck were you smoking?
>>
>>376205163
almost every plot twist in this felt dumb. Every Character was shoehorned in. What it's gameplay did right, the direction and story did wrong.

one step forward and two steps back from MGS3
>>
>>376205163
It was an incredible game, with incredible characters and direction.

They made the story about parasites and shit no one cares about. All we wanted was a game about the downfall of Big Boss. It could have been 'There will be blood'. It was about parasites.
>>
>>376206597
Set it up as in have some sort of scene that leads to it, rather than just having a random menu prompt to start twist after a long period of nothing happening.
>>
>>376206724
It was never a twist, why do you keep calling it a twist? It was a reveal if anything, a reveal that was so heavily alluded to that you'd have to either not have played any of the previous games or be severely stupid not to put it together. If anything that entire shit was just redundant.
>>
>>376206681
>All we wanted was a game about the downfall of Big Boss

Let's just ignore the fact that what you're asking for was already Snake Eater and Peace Walker (Seriously, what's he doing in Peace Walker that's any different to MG1? He even has kids in MSF) but MGSV in its current state also already does that. It takes the final step not just from him being an ideological extremist, but also making him morally a bad person and the hypocrite you see/hear about in the other games.

What he does to Venom is very similar in terms of morality to what the US Government did to the Boss. He's doing exactly the kind of thing that he talks about trying to fight in MG2. He's using his soldiers like tools and discarding them for his own personal gain without them having any choice in the matter. Big Boss doing what he did to Venom is pretty much the ultimate betrayal of the Outer Heaven ideal.

I'm guessing you wanted some Revenge of the Sith tier screaming and child killing, though.
>>
>>376206681
Oh, and you had Kiefer Sutherland making the iconic character his own. And then had him say almost nothing in every single cutscene. And you had an amazing base development mechanic, in which there is no interactivity on said base at all.

And the plot twist fucking sucked. The entire game had no meaningful ties to the main series in all the right ways, just brand new characters that were tied the main series by literally 'you just didn't notice them lol'.

I fucking hate MGSV. It's my favorite game I've ever played and I want to go back to release day.
>>
>>376206327
>I'm am of the belief that they didn't cut enough content
Holy shit. I did not know opinions could get this shitty. This is off the charts. This is reaching a new depth of faggotry.
>>
>>376206823
why'd you move the goalposts, friendo. Who cares if I said twist, reveal or plot development. Point is still the same. the execution of that scene could have been a lot better.
>>
>>376206917
>I'm guessing you wanted some Revenge of the Sith tier screaming and child killing, though.

No, like I say, I wanted 'There will be blood'. Peace Walker was all that was really needed, I agree. But then the trailers for V came about and implied a deeper, darker vision of his transition to 'villian' than PW offered. I didn't want a story about parasites and stupid shit like that, I wanted a character driven story with modern technology. It started out that way, gained great steam, and then turned into complete nonsense.
>>
>>376207172
>But then the trailers for V came about and implied a deeper, darker vision of his transition to 'villian' than PW offered

And it did do that, through the Venom twist. By Peace Walker, Big Boss was already a nuclear equipped mercenary war lord with kids in his army intending to stand off against the world on his own little independent nation. Him betraying his extremist ideals for his own selfish gain is pretty much the only step on the ladder downward for him to reach the Big Boss of the original Metal Gear games.
>>
>>376207003
I like a good tight 5-6 hours.
>>
File: 1468954239142.jpg (125KB, 1280x720px)
1468954239142.jpg
125KB, 1280x720px
>>376205163
Disappointment aside, was it still worth playing?
>>
>>376208494
Yeah, the hospital prologue alone.
>>
>>376208494
play it once then never again anon
>>
>>376205163
So that's how the real pic looks like.
>>
>>376208494
Only the first season of Ai Mai Mi was any good
>>
>>376206597
Wait what in the tutorial tips you off?
Been a while
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.