[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ocarina was not the best Zelda

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (209KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
209KB, 1600x900px
Link to the Past was strictly better.

Discuss.
>>
>texture pack

what did you mean by this
>>
OoT was alot like LTTP in 3D
>>
>>376199019
I guess I'll have to agree, in the sense that ALttP seemed to be much "fuller" than OoT. There was less walking around to get to the next objective, on seemingly every screen there was something to discover or collect.

They are both great games though.
>>
Uhh sweetie it's still called the best game ever in every top of video games list.
>>
Legend of Zelda and Adventure of Link were even better than that and are the two best Zeldas.
>>
>>376199938
Umm sweetie stop using sweetie
>>
>>376199989

Don't be such a fucking buffoon.
>>
>>376199019
fuck off phoneposter
>>
>>376200065
Spreading the truth is not buffoonery, chap.
>>
>>376199019
yeah 2D Zelda better is than 3D Zelda
This is known.
>>
>>376200017
Umm sweetie don't tell me what to do
>>
>talking to girl about zelda
>she keeps referring to ocarina of time as link to the past
>>
>>376199989
AoL had that unnecessary life mechanic, but was otherwise preddy good. I also agree that the original Zelda is still a game that I would consider underrated in the series. However, neither of them are the best Zelda. For example, Link's Awakening is better than both.
>>
File: 1492409428902.jpg (55KB, 616x478px) Image search: [Google]
1492409428902.jpg
55KB, 616x478px
>>376199989
Not really, but I respect LoZ immensely, first one I played and beat. I get real defensive when people shit on it.
Personal favorites are Link's Awakening and Wind Waker. BotW comes close, but I want to sit on it for a year or so first.
>>
>>376199019
No. Link's Awakening is when the puzzle element of the dungeons really took off. Plus, each dungeon got its own music. A Link to the Past didn't do that shit. Ocarina of Time gave even more distinctive individual tracks and made each dungeon far more visually unique from one another than they'd ever been. The dungeons really took off in OoT, and guess what people are always saying is the heart of the Zelda series? Right, the dungeons. Ocarina is better.
>>
>>376199019
They're the same fucking game
>>
>>376200935
how dumb do you have to be to think this?
>>
Rate the games in your personal opinion
(no order within each tier for me)

>Elder God Tier
ALttP

>God Tier
WW
TP
MM

>Incredible Tier
ALBW
ST
OoT
BotW
LA

>Great Tier
OoX
TLoZ
FSA

>Good Tier
AoL
PH
SS
FS
TFH
>>
>>376201554
>Elder God Tier
LoZ
AoL

>Incredible Tier
LttP
LA
OoS
OoA

>Great Tier
OoT
BotW

>Mediocre Tier
ALBW
WW

>Low Tier
TP
MC
FS
FSA

>Trash Tier
MM
SS
PH
ST
TFH
>>
>>376201852
switch ww an tp and you're golden
>>
>>376201919
WW edges out TP for its more open world, but other than that they're about the same, quality-wise.
>>
File: 1484020721986.png (47KB, 522x472px) Image search: [Google]
1484020721986.png
47KB, 522x472px
>>376201852
>mm
>trash
>>
>>376202630
>Zelda that does everything it can to not be Zelda
>good
>>
File: 1450692442311.jpg (19KB, 253x296px) Image search: [Google]
1450692442311.jpg
19KB, 253x296px
>>376202746
>thing is inherently bad because it isn't like other things
>>
Zelda was really nothing special between the original and OoT. The 2D Zelda formula became really bland once it was refined.
>>
3D>2D
>>
>>376202256
TPs world is still fairly large, and it arguably contains a higher volume of interesting content than Wind Waker's.
>>
>>376199019
Agreed.

Honestly i felt like oot was Alttp rehash. Sure it took advantage of the new hardware, but there was a lot less creativity design wise.

How many "shoot eye on wall in room" puzzles where there? Or, "smack crystal and outrun the timer" ones.
Also didnt do enough with the time travel, which was always a fucking chore since you have to go put the sword back instead of Lttp'e magic mirror.
>>
>>376203192
>Piggybacking off of the name of a series with expectations despite doing everything you can to shit on those expectations
>good
>>
File: suker.jpg (22KB, 432x313px) Image search: [Google]
suker.jpg
22KB, 432x313px
>>376204762
>exact same controls as the last game
>exact same combat as the last game
>exact same puzzles as the last game
>exact same upgrade system
>exact same fucking engine as the last game
>reuse countless assets from the last game

>but it shits on expectations
>>
>>376199019
>Link to the Past was strictly better.
LMAO
>>
MM>Oot=WW=BotW>ALBW>TP>SS

Didn't play the others.
>>
>>376199019
What is there to discuss? You've stated an obvious fact. BotW could have been better if they actually included reasons to explore the world like the Invisibility Cloak and Ice Rod, instead of mostly boring shrines and always boring korok seeds.
>>
>>376199019
LttP IS the best Zelda. Shame that Secret of Mana puts it to shame (which is ironic, considering like 40 percent of the game is missing due to the Super Nintendo CD thing being a flop).
>>
>>376205085
Play ALttP if you enjoyed ALBW. I just 100%ed ALBW a few hours ago, and have the urge to now play ALttP again.

>>376205253
I will never understand the amount of dick sucking that SoM gets. It is a fun game with a phenomenal soundtrack, but I just don't see it as some kind of "best JRPG ever" that it seems to be heralded as by some people. Yeah, 3 player coop was great and all, but the combat system is really simplistic, and pausing to use magic begs the question why the game doesn't have regular turn based combat to begin with.
>>
>>376199019
OoT is barren and lifeless, LttP isn't so bad because the perspective takes you so far away from the ground so there's always something to look at
>>
>>376205710
Never claimed it was the best JRPG ever. That said, it's more of an Action RPG than anything else.

But comparing it to LttP, the world is WAY bigger, story is better, magic is better, OST is better, you get more armor than link, and different items you can use, both in and out of battle, like LttP.

I'm not saying SoM is the best game ever, because it isn't. But it blows LttP, the best Zelda game ever, out of the water.

So, in conclusion, I would say I'm not sucking SoM's dick. I'm questioning why people suck the dick of any Zelda game.
>>
>3 Goddesses tier
BOTW
LTTP
LA
OoA/OoS

>Hylia Tier
OOT
MM

>Great Tier
TP
WW

>Good Tier
LOZ
AOL

>Meh Tier
SS

>CDI Tier
WoG
FoE
>>
>>376206071
Didn't say that you necessarily think that SoM is the best game ever, just that some people apparently do, which I will never get behind.

The world in SoM may be bigger, but ALttP has a better sense of exploration since you are not forced through it all in a linear manner.

I don't really care about the story of a game; as long as it contextualizes the gameplay decent enough I am okay with it.

I find it weird how you can say SoM is an action RPG, and then say it has better magic than ALttP. I mean, there sure is more spectacle in SoM's blinking lights and explosions, but it still clashes with the rest of the gameplay, since you have to pause the game to sue magic, and it always auto hits. The magic in ALttP acommodates the action gameplay much better, since you are still in control of your character while using the fire rod etc. And sure, it also has those spectacle-heavy screen clearing weapons (that all SNES games seem to have, now that I think about it - seriously, did anyone ever charge moves in Super G&G?). Those are arguably like the spells in SoM, but I personally never used them much.

Overall the OST fo SoM is probably better, but I don't think anything in that games beats Dark World. Though those are hot opinions.

Getting different armor is effectively just number tweaking when they don't even show on-model. It doesn't really add an awful lot to the game other than rewarding exploration somewhat. I don't really get though why you bring that up, as Zelda is not about collecting gear, it is about collecting items that help you in combat and let you get to new, perviously inacessable places.

And ALttP definately has better items than SoM. Combat in general is better in ALttP since you have more meaningful options, and your positioning has just that little edge of depth more, due to your shield being in front of you.

I enjoyed SoM, and I did not intend to shit on it as much as I apparently just did, but I don't think it is better than ALttP.
>>
>>376199019
Ocarina was miles better than LttP, which infact is the worst mainline Zelda game.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>376206870
You will first have to prove your claim, I am interested in reading that, especially if you manage to explain why certain game mechanics or design decisions are bad without saying that "they are shit".
>>
>Elder God Tier
BOTW
tWW

>God Tier
LA
MM
ALTTP
TLOZ

>Incredible Tier
ALBW
tAOL
OOT
TMC
TP

>Great Tier
OOS
SS

>Good Tier
OOA
PH
FSA
ST
FS
TFH
>>
>>376206765
>I mean, there sure is more spectacle in SoM's blinking lights and explosions, but it still clashes with the rest of the gameplay, since you have to pause the game to sue magic, and it always auto hits.
Couldn't you say the same of the big 3 spells in Zelda? I don't consider the fire rod to be magic, more of an item that uses magic (in much the same way you could equip elements to your weaponry - the time to cast said spell to your entire party takes roughly as long as it takes to switch to the fire rod from the hookshot in LttP).

>but I don't think anything in that games beats Dark World
Wholeheartedly disagree. Dark Star beats Dark World hands down, and is probably the best soundtrack I've heard on the SNES, excepting maybe a few Actraiser soundtracks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xrRuhuHyic

>Getting different armor is effectively just number tweaking when they don't even show on-model
Very true, and a valid point. But LttP just did a color palette switch on each armor set. Neither are impressive, in my opinion, and the sheer number of options (both purchasable and those only obtained via drops) are likely why they couldn't put them all on characters.

>And ALttP definately has better items than SoM.
Matter of opinion, there. Especially when you consider that weapons like the spear, whip, bow, and axe double as what would be seen as Link's "items." I will grant that the bow is indisputably better in LttP when comparing it to SoM. One would think that a bow would have greater range than a whip. But then you add to those weapons the items that are just items, like the midge mallet, moogle belt, etc, and SoM gets to about even footing (not gonna do an actual count - either could have more as far as I know).

In so far as linearity, I'd have to play it again, as I haven't since about 2005 (ditto for LttP), but I remember being excited to explore the world. Ditto for LttP, but there was more to explore in SoM.
>>
>>376199019
>strictly
Are you sure you used the right word there?
>>
>>376207438
bump, I want to respond to this in a bit
>>
>>376207438
I already adressed the 3 big spells, and admitted that they are just less intersting versions of the spell mechanic of JRPGs.

I think comparing SoM's magic weapons with to the items in ALttP is a stretch, you are trying to compare stuff that is not necessarily comparable. I generally consider it a flawed idea of game design to compare games based on their singular mechanics, rather than how these mechanics work together as a whole. Saying "SoM has better magic than ALttP" is kinda weird because ALttP has a totally different type of magic, for the most part.

>music
Dark Star is fucking great, but it has some lengths that I think Dark World doesn't.

>armor
Yeah, ALttP's armor variety is not really impressive (on top of being kinda ugly), but getting gear is not the point of ALttP in the same sense that it is in an RPG. Again, trying to compare game mechanics here that are a bit too different to really compare them like that.

I think that ALttP's items are better than the weapons in SoM because they are not all just different ways to hit the enemies, but rather are tools for traversial and exploration, on top of the puzzle solving. Those items you listed are just there to aid in combat - which is okay, since combat is the focus of SoM. I just think that SoM doesn't do combat as elegantly as Zelda.

And yeah, SoM is really linear. But I admit I too have to play it again some time. It's been a while.
>>
Majoras Mask > Ocarina of Time >> LTTP
>>
OoT is basically ALttP in 3D, so it's not that controversial of an opinion. 3D was just extremely exciting at the time and OoT beat everyone else to the punch when it came to making that style of a game in 3D.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.