[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are they dead?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

File: ChibiStarfy.png (745KB, 1099x933px)
ChibiStarfy.png
745KB, 1099x933px
Are they dead?
>>
When a company keeps using the IP to make games that have nothing to do with the series, it means they want to use those lackluster sales as proof that no one likes the IP. Pikmin is next.
>>
>>376182286

>playing the Japanese Chibi Robo DS game that we never got
>it's actually fucking chibi robo, like actually a good sequel based off the Gamecube game

why was this never given to us
>>
>>376182641
I was also disappointed that we never got the Wii "New Play Control" version of the original. How much effort could it have taken to do that when they already had a translation ready (the GCN version)?
>>
>>376182641
Wait, was the translation patch finished?
>>
>>376182286
Robo is in hospice, Starfy is dead
>>
File: 28.jpg (4KB, 160x90px)
28.jpg
4KB, 160x90px
>>376182286
I will never not be mad about Chibi-Robo constantly getting shafted. Or the fact that Giftpia and Captain Rainbow will never be localized. It just isn't fair, I want my weird, mellow exploration games.
>>
>>376184695
dead in the water?
>>
>>376182641
>tfw we were suppose to get a Fan translation of the first Starfy game as well

It never got finished which makes me upset as fuck. https://youtu.be/TQuNZDIAloc

Why would they do this to me..
>>
>>376182286
My soul sure is fucking dead knowing we will never get a patch for happy rich sweep.
>>
>>376185675
Nice that they used the localized names from the 5th game.
>>
>>376182286
Starfy is dead, Chibi-Robo will come out with some other game that completely changes the genre once again, since someone at Nintendo is really fighting for the little guy.
>>
Chibi-Robo probably because the roadmap that they had to use good sales from the 2D platformer as an excuse to make a new 3D game didn't even get past stage one what with the 2D game selling even worse than the 3D ones. I could see him coming back sometime down the line, probably with another similar attempt, but not very soon.

Starfy isn't really dead, he actually had mainstream success to begin with in Japan, and is still remembered strongly there, but I assume there just isn't any interest from the devs to continue what with the IP being untouched for nearly ten years besides VC releases and a Mario Maker costume. Possibly they don't know what to do since they don't wanna fall into Medabots syndrome. It's still possible for him to come back at any time though.

>>376184640
>>376185897
Happened like over a year ago, where have you been?
>>
>>376182286
I guarantee neither will be dead forever. But they won't come out on any console where the only good games are Nintendo IPs, because in those situations like the Wii and Wii U force Nintendo to pump out their A-listers to keep the console afloat and don't have any resources to spare for smaller IPs. You can argue the fact that Zipline was on the 3DS meant it wasn't in that situation, but that doesn't mean they ever gave it particular focus.
>>
>>376186021
I bought zip-lash despite having cfw because I just want to see chibi get a proper game.
Is this what it feels like to be cucked?
>>
>tfw we'll probably never get Starfy playable in Smash Bros because Sakurai is a dipshit
>tfw Starfy's co creator is too busy on caring about other shit like Waifu Emblem to ever give a shit about his own character
>we'll probably never get a motherfucking awesome Kirby crossover
>Starfy does have a lot of potential of being a great series like Klonoa and Kirby in terms of characters, story, worlds, etc.

It hurts, /v/.
>>
>>376182348
>Pikmin is next.
It hurts.
>>
Realistically then, what is Skip and Vanpool working on if not Chibi-Robo?
>>
File: 1478105754480.gif (2MB, 356x200px)
1478105754480.gif
2MB, 356x200px
>>376186590
Please, don't jinx it, anon. Pikmin is my favorite series of all time.

The moment it dies is the moment I give up on Nintendo ever redeeming themselves.
>>
File: FUCKOFF.png (607KB, 732x1327px)
FUCKOFF.png
607KB, 732x1327px
>>376186571
>we'll probably never get a motherfucking awesome Kirby crossover
FUCK OFF WITH THIS

We need the IP to stand on its own, not get absorbed by another IP due to idiots like you constantly comparing them.
>>
>>376182348
You're right, except Nintendo has no corporate quotas so if they wanted to not make a series they just wouldn't make it regardless of sales (see F-Zero, Warioland, etc)
>>
>>376186258
You made my month.
Last I checked was a year and a half ago and people were saying it would be too much effort because the game plays with text size and font a lot. I gave up on it.
>>
>>376186806
>>376186571
Reminds me of when someone asked Tanabe about the possibility of a Chibi-Robo and Pikmin crossover and his response was pretty much "I'll have to ask Miyamoto."
>>
>>376186571
Have to agree with >>376186806, if you want a Kirby crossover have him guest star in one level like Wario did in 3 and leave it at that. But I'm personally not a fan of one-on-one crossovers at all, only shit like Smash and PXZ works in any way for me.
>>
>>376186806
>A single crossover game equals "getting absorbed"

Stellar logic. Also, if there's any franchise right now that needs an update, it's Kirby.

I sure do love paying 30$-60$ to play the same game with a new coat of paint 5+ times.
>>
What could you REALISTICALLY do with Starfy at this point that wouldnt just be "well heres another starfy game guys"
>>
File: 1491609984802.jpg (36KB, 736x460px)
1491609984802.jpg
36KB, 736x460px
Honestly, I want to like it because I love Kirby, but is Starfy consistently insanely easy? I'm playing the DS game and it's pretty boring.
>>
>>376186806
You have a point, I won't deny that. But jesus, why the fuck have they more or less given little to no shit on this series these days? I still think it would be cool to have a crossover, but only once Starfy gets back on his feet and reaches the top as best he can be. Maybe then can we see that happen someday.
>>
>>376187125
3D Starfy. The reason it's taking so long for a new one is they're trying to get it just perfect, right?

>>376187115
Kumazaki was a mistake.
>>
I was mad as fuck when the 2d chibi robo game was announced, no I will not eat shit just to get a proper entry for a franchise I enjoy.
>>
>>376187207
Earlier games are a bit harder, but it's a very easy series overall. It's the kind of low stakes game you play to relax.
>>
>>376187207
Yes, each game spoils you with health power ups
>>
>>376187115
>>376187256
What would be a good way to get a dormant IP revitalized? A new game that goes all out with production values or a game where an already established IP will eclipse it due to being more known and the dormant IP being mistaken for being apart of the established IP?

You want ARMS to succeed? Keep Little Mac and Luffy out of it. You want Chibi-Robo and Starfy to succeed? Let them grow on their own and market the games.
>>
>>376187207
It's about as difficult as Kirby, if not slightly less so. I guess it's what /v/ would consider a "chill" game, if anyone actually knew about the series.

Where it excels is in actually giving the characters a semblance of personality, however.

My biggest gripe aside from gameplay being piss easy in Kirby is that they always throw all these new characters at you with each new game, then never have them show up again except in brief cameos. That's not even touching on the fact that the main four barely interact with each other.

>but Kirby doesn't need story

Considering how hard Kumazki and Hal overall have been trying to cram as much lore as they can into their recent entries, I'd beg to differ.
>>
>>376187207
The GBA games were much stronger in gameplay. The third game is considered by many to be the best in the series.
>>
>>376187479
You're comparing a brand new franchise to already established ones.

Your logic is flawed. Sometimes you need to give these older, forgotten franchises a little extra boost with more known ones.

Take Smash Bros., for example. Most people wouldn't even know characters like Captain Falcon exist if he wasn't included as a fighter.

It might not give them millions of sales for a new game, but it still spreads awareness.
>>
>>376187827
No, that's dangerous. You can that with Smash Bros. (And it doesn't even do that anymore). You can't do that with a standalone IP. You know why Splatoon succeeded? Marketing. No Mario, no FLUDD promotion/tie-ins, just pure marketing. The same can be done for Chibi-Robo, Starfy, Custom Robo, Golden Sun, etc. Marketing.

And for the record, I knew who Captain Falcon was before Smash Bros., F-Zero X kicked ass back in Christmas of '98. Seeing him in Smash was an extra treat.
>>
>>376182348
>they want to use those lackluster sales as proof that no one likes the IP. Pikmin is next.
Chibi-Robo and Pikmin have never sold well or moved hardware. There is no reason to make more of them.
>>
File: klonoa_6795.gif (13KB, 231x201px)
klonoa_6795.gif
13KB, 231x201px
>>376187568
>>376188085
>>376187273
That's my biggest gripe with modern Kirby games. That is not wanting to learn from the Klonoa route. I remember this one fanartist telling me that Kirby doesn't need a story that's deep, which is laughable to be because the Klonoa series managed to get away with telling a simple yet pretty bittersweet stories and character building.

Yeah, you got the lore, but the lore isn't enough to justify the lack of character development and engaging story. Klonoa may also have had the same game play, but Klonoa still did have those stories and characters that Kirby doesn't have.

For example, why would I care about Taranza and Sectonia despite their "le tragic back story lore"? Because they're just one offs who got little to no scenes of character interaction, compared to Lolo and The King of Sorrow from Lunatea Veil, which despite being the primary secondary characters in that game, got so much more interaction and character development.
>>
>>376188375
Pikmin is Miyamoto's baby. Not even Mario, Donkey Kong or Zelda hold a candle to that shit.

So long as he's still alive, so is Pikmin. Unless he creates a new IP that replaces it, we will continue to get games regardless of sales.
>>
>>376188635
>Pikmin is Miyamoto's baby. Not even Mario, Donkey Kong or Zelda hold a candle to that shit.
Then Miyamoto is senile.

>we will continue to get games regardless of sales.
Which is a business mistake. He announced Pikmin 3 himself, forcing Nintendo to dump cash into a game that would never sell, on a system that desperately needed hardware-moving games.
>>
>>376188634
Nintendo and Miyamoto has an aversion to lore and story building
>>
>>376188634
This kind of stagnation only happens because dissenting opinions and legitimate criticisms about the franchise get shut down by mindless drones. Prove me wrong.

The """plot""" of the past few games is literally the same shit regurgitated at least 3-4 times.

>Villain with tragic backstory gets possessed by some magic macguffin and you must stop them

The only difference is that some of them get to live (Magolor), while others eat shit (Sectonia, Haltmann).

>>376188804
Miyamoto has no stake on the production of Kirby games.That is all Hal/Kumazaki's doing.
>>
>>376188787
>Then Miyamoto is senile.

Not exactly arguing this. I'm just saying that he loves the series and will push towards its production regardless of how poorly each entry is received.

>Which is a business mistake.

Same as above.
>>
>>376188634
My issue with the Kumazaki games is more that they all feel like shit to control and follow the same fucking formula to a T which got really fucking tiring by Robobot even though they improved the level design a lot there--doesn't help almost all of Robobot's abilities and bosses are pretty much recycled from past games--but yeah, the "DEEPEST LORE" feels pretty cheap. No clue why people eat it up so much.

I personally think Kirby is better off with less story, though. It's just how it's always rolled. I'd rather see them try to experiment with the gameplay like it used to, and I don't mean throwing in another identically operating "Press B to Awesome" gimmick.

>>376188375
Pikmin's always sold alright. Not gangbusters, but alright.
>>
>>376189482
>Pikmin's always sold alright. Not gangbusters, but alright.
No it hasn't. You'd be able to say that if Pikmin were a third-party franchise, but it isn't. Pikmin didn't help the Gamecube or Wii U, it doesn't deserve any sequels.
>>
>>376187605
3 is by far the best.

What the fuck was up with 4?
>>
>>376188978
You're not wrong. I have hung out on Kirby threads and even /r/Kirby and their discord and it's almost always endless praise for the series and as someone who's criticized the stagnation, it's not taken lightly by others.

Like, what in the fuck is wrong with Kirby getting better as a series? Starfy managed to beat Kirby in a sad ending of a main character, that being Starfy's primary antagonist Ogura, after sacrificing himself to save Starfy, Starly, and Moe's from Evil/Iburu , which I would say is much worse than MUH SPIDER MAN LOSING HIS WASP TURNING SPIDER GF with little to care about them due to lack of connection and development.
>>
I'm downloading Starfey for Drastic, what am I in for?
>>
>>376189846
I think people are just saying that "Kirby needs no story" in the fact they're afraid of HAL fucking up the story, because a lot of us has seen what happened when Pokemon got more story based. I know that HAL is nowhere near incompetent as Gamefreak but an awful story can do quite a bit negatively towards a game. In the end a bad story is worse than no story at all.
>>
>>376182286
Nintendo owned franchise that isn't Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, or Fire Emblem? Gee anon, what the fuck do you think?
>>
>>376189846
Using MUH CAPS isn't likely to get people who aren't literal children to take your opinion seriously, especially if they've already got the opposing opinion. Just a fair warning if you try to use that type of lingo when criticizing the stagnation.
>>
COME ON NINTY GIVE US ANOTHER DOSHIN THE GIANT
>>
>>376187125
Make a new Starfy game on Switch?
I personally feel that would be a good idea, considering that the 5th game allowed you to download play with a friend and have two players playing through a level together.

They can improve on the gameplay mechanics and expand the setting, characters, character interactions, etc.

Hel, I think that would be cool for Nintendo and Tose to collaborate with well known platforming studios like Yatch Club to help make the series get back on it's feel and grow.
>>
>>376182286
I only played the Starfy game on the DS and I thought it was great.
Did they not make any more after that?
>>
>>376190967
>Yatch Club
No. Just because they made one platformer doesn't mean they could do justice for another platformer that's entirely different in style.
>>
>>376186738
>>376186590
Pikmin 3DS is NOT Pikmin 4.
>>
>>376191312
But it's still a Pikmin game, you dingleberry. What was even the point of your post?
>>
>>376191163
It's been dormant since that game yes though Starfy is still in Smash 4 and got into Super Mario Maker as a costume out of nowhere
>>
>>376182286
Yes let them stay dead I don't see why so many people on this board sometimes want to see a dead IP get brought back when it was obvious that it was a niche already so why not just let it stay a dead niche IP.
>>
>>376186806
I disagree the chibi-robo brand is pretty much non existent a crossover would probably renew interest.
>>
>>376186258
Yes, he still is remembered in Japan. There still are people drawing fan art of the series and I happened to find this one good artist on twitter that still draws fanart for Starfy. Really good art if I do say so myself.
https://twitter.com/stafpkyoro1_d
>>
>>376186590
Pikmin won't die as long as Miyamoto is still working at Nintendo. He's the reason the series is still alive to begin with.
>>
call me a cuckold, but what are pikmin's sales? never heard it selling badly before until now.

seems like anything that isn't mario, zelda, or pokemon needs to be axed according to nintendo.
>>
>>376188787
As long as the series continues to get new games, why do you care if it's a poor business decision?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.