[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are games that simulate life in a fantasy world? daggerfall

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

File: 1468321583903.png (193KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
1468321583903.png
193KB, 400x533px
What are games that simulate life in a fantasy world?

daggerfall thread.
>>
I genuinely enjoyed playing Arena. I genuinely enjoyed playing Morrowind. Will I genuinely enjoy playing Daggerfall?
>>
>>376181901
SHIMMERS
>>
>>376182059
It's like nothing I've ever experienced.

Completely immersive, completely massive, and completely free.

You can literally roleplay any scenario in this game and have a full and immersive experience without ever having to touch the main storyline.
>>
M&M6 > Daggerfall
>>
File: 1484756442141.gif (355KB, 400x408px) Image search: [Google]
1484756442141.gif
355KB, 400x408px
>>376182059
Daggerfall is just an objectively better version of Arena
>>
>>376182059
Arena was hard to play after you escape the dungeon. It had a lot of potential, but I never left Riften. Too many of the same models for the same characters and the same buildings. The church looked almost exactly like the tavern.
I liked Daggerfall better because you could actually differentiate between buildings, characters and settlements.
If it was remastered it would probably be one of the greatest of all times.
>>
>>376182639
*IF daggerfall was remastered it would be the BEST game of all time
>>
>>376181901
I'd really like to play a game like this. Fantasy world life simulator where you could go out and be an adventurer or hero, but can also just stick to comfy exploring, crafting, or farming. A game where you're just an ordinary inhabitant of a fantasy world, especially if procedurally generated.
>>
File: 1492971484500.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492971484500.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Genuinely simulate?

I guess the Elder Scrolls series is one of the few. I'd include Gothic II and its expansion, since NPCs have daily routines, and the world feels more like a world, quests feel like stories and I never feel that AC style, "open world checklist" thing that many open world games have in Gothic II or the Elder Scrolls games.

I don't think Gothic III managed the same feeling. I really can't think of any game or series that's really managed it. I think the Fable series tried, but didn't get there.

>>376182361

Might & Magic, regardless of entry has never attempted to simulate a fantasy world, or living in one. I like the might & magic games, but it's a very different sort of approach. I mean, I like the Wizardry games, a lot, at least 6, 7 and 8, I enjoy playing them, I think they're some of the best RPGs of their type, but I'd never say they were good at simulating living in a fantasy world.

Maybe Arx Fatalis? It's not quite there. You can do things like baking, even watch your bread rise, lots of details in the game like that, but it never feels like a "world" it always still feels like I'm navigating levels.

I get why OP would want more of what TES can offer, but other RPGs, even open world RPGs, simply do not offer. Because it's a pretty rare thing for developers to give us. No matter the flaws in the various TES games, they absolutely provide something no other RPG or open world RPG does. At least none I can think of off the top of my head.
>>
>>376182639
Didn't really have much trouble with the other dungeons in Arena. Except fighting some enemies because material restrictions were fucking ass
>>376182708
Well there is that one Unity Daggefall thing
>>
>>376182710
Yep.

I think in maybe 5 years, dwarf fortress adventure mode will get to that point. Farming, mercantilism, advanced cooking, crafting, etc. Build settlements, build up trade, people move in, or you can buy a house. Stuff like that. I hope toady lives to work on the game for at least 10 more years.

>>376182851
Arena doesn't have the sheer scale that daggerfall has, or the shine that daggerfall has. And daggerfall unity is garbage.
>>
>>376182710
>>376181901
At the risk of getting my head bit off. Early Mabinogi. There's an epic storyline, but in its early days (not now, don't try, don't bother the experience I'm conveying is gone) the game concentrated equally on its "Fantasy Life" aspect. I remember having to work part time jobs for the locals in the first town, to earn enough money to pay for each of my magic classes, a bit at a time, earning enough for one class, doing jobs, interacting with NPCs, spending nights unable to work or go to class talking with other players in town around a fire while some played music. Eventually learning my first spell, and being all excited.

I played Mabinogi for a solid week before ever even engaging in its combat for the first time. I just played out the fantasy life of a character trying to become a mage, and trying to learn their first spell, and all the work and money that went into that.

It's something Mabi will never again be able to offer its players since you can now just select I WANNA DO MAGIC at character creation these days and instantly be handed your first spells. It's fucking sad.
>>
>>376182965
Sure, one of the things I was always annoyed to in Arena is how all the lore was basically DnD at that point. At least in Daggerfall is where they started introducing their own stuff.
>>
>>376182969
Now it's anime generic moe-garbage mmo that nobody should play. It's the Brazilian containment MMO.

>>376182727
TES series.
Dwarf fortress.
Gothic.
Fable 2.

Thats about it. Maybe large scale larping as an NPC can give us what we want...
>>
>>376183115

Dwarf Fortress isn't an RPG, and no it does not.

I mentioned the Fable games, so you already know up front I disagree on Fable 2.

Yes, the TES series does, which is why I mentioned it.

Gothic 2 and its expansion do, but Gothic wasn't quite there yet, and Gothic 3 absolutely does not. All "gothic" games beyond Gothic 2 equally fail at this task.
>>
File: ad8Pp.jpg (151KB, 1250x1121px) Image search: [Google]
ad8Pp.jpg
151KB, 1250x1121px
>>376183115
>larping as an npc
>>
>>376181901
Are there any MUDs still around that do this well? Call me crazy, but I think there's a lot of untapped potential in that genre if new mechanics were invented for it.
>>
>>376183271
Dwarf fortress adventure mode has plenty of rpg mechanics aswell as deeper roleplaying potential than most other rpgs.
>>
>>376181901
Dwarf Fortress
>>
>>376183271
>Dwarf Fortress isn't an RPG, and no it does not.

Is more of an RPG (Adventure mode) than Morrowind and past Morrowind.

I will even say that more so than Daggerfall.
>>
>>376184993
Dwarf fortress feels more akin to a building or management simulator to me.
>>
>>376182059
If you enjoyed Arena, you will definitely love Daggerfall.

The dungeons have better layouts in my opinion and are easier to have a general idea of where to go after you've run a couple. The character customization is GOAT for pretty much any CRPG.

A couple tips to give for a first playthrough would be to have paralysis immunity and have at least some form of magic use (teleport will be your time saver for dungeon clearing and is an overall extremely useful spell). There's also loophole exploits that allow you to really optimize characters if you find you're having a really hard time.
>>
>>376185196
Adventure mode, anon.
>>
>>376185196
>Dwarf fortress feels more akin to a building or management simulator to me.

Have you even played adventure mode mane?

Also Daggerfall does not simulate life, one thing is a presentation and other is a simulation.

Simulation = Arma 3
Presentation = Battlefield 2
>>
>>376185583
Thats a high level of autism you're running on.
>>
>>376185784
>high level of autism
Where do you think we are nigga

Calling Daggerfall a simulation of high fantasy is retarded.
>>
File: 1466736321295.png (10KB, 605x239px) Image search: [Google]
1466736321295.png
10KB, 605x239px
>>376185841
It meets 2 out of the 3 definitions.
>>
>>376185923
Nigger dont get me started on why that is not a simulation.

Does the game have a simulated economy?
>>
File: 1472750915596.gif (1MB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1472750915596.gif
1MB, 320x213px
>>376186027
>fluctuating player driven economy is a priority in a simulation game
>>
>>376181901
Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode is the be all end of all this. Even the graphics are a simulation of fantasy
>>
>>376186127
no that anon but what you states implys that COD is a simulation of war then
>>
>>376181901
>What are games that simulate life in a fantasy world?
well yeah, there is Dwa...

>daggerfall thread
ok, nevermind

>>376182639
>If it was remastered it would probably be one of the greatest of all times.
dude, have you any idea, how big the world in the game is
>>
>>376186505
If I were to look for a remaster, I wouldn't desire an entire 3d graphical overhaul. More like a port to a better engine, more detailed 3d objects in place of sprites, for character and enemy sprites, remade and more hd with more frames of animation.

Then rework the controls and UI to make it more accessible.

Put it for like 20 bucks on gog and steam.

There we go.
>>
>>376186841
ok, that could work
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.