[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this game popular just because of it's open world gameplay?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

File: zelda.jpg (107KB, 1200x625px) Image search: [Google]
zelda.jpg
107KB, 1200x625px
Is this game popular just because of it's open world gameplay?

Does it have any of the magic and soul of the N64 games?
>>
>>376143463
It has no memorable characters or setting to speak of. Gameplay consists of collecting 900 korok seeds. They did the open world well but the game doesn't have much else going for it. Has a great "wow" effect, but after you're 10 hours in you realize how its literally wide as an ocean, shallow as a puddle. You can still have fun by dicking around with the physics though i guess.
>>
>>376143695
Interesting, this is kind of what I thought.

Everyone raves about it but it looks kind of boring to me.
>>
>>376143695
Why do people just keep lying about this game
>>
Oot was like a fucking religious experience for me. From the Goddesses soaring through the sky, to the enchanted lands and characters.

BotW looks nothing like that. Am I right to think that?

>>376143975
Meaning?
>>
>>376143695
>>376143902
>>376143975

Agreed it's missing what makes Zelda games so much fun. /v/ has always been nintendogaf so they have no other choice then praise it, hell even the mods are a part of it. If the next Zelda game is anything like this one it's going to be shit.
But in the eyes of the normies who love open world, it's going to be another big hit. Zelda will never recover from open world.
>>
>>376143463
Look mom, I posted it again!
>>
>>376144548
>will never recover
No shit, since the first game was open world.
>>
>>376143463
It makes the N64 games look like trash.
>>
>>376143695
>>376144548
>literally samefagging

you faggots are desperate
>>
>>376143463
WW 96
TP 96
SS 92
I've convinced myself that "androgynous, voiceless hero game with easy puzzles, sword combat, exploration and adventuring paced with even progression in light-hearted fantasy setting" is a perfect formula for video games.
>>
>>376144720
>not understanding what open world means.
Enjoy your puddle.
>>
>>376145135
>Open world, free roam, or (more loosely) sandbox are terms for video games where a player can move freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in regard to how and when to approach particular objectives, as opposed to other video games that have a more linear structure to their gameplay.

???
>>
>>376143463
It's the 3D Zelda since the N64 days, but it definitely doesn't capture their charm. It's fun and engaging in its own way, and I think if Nintendo learns the right lessons from this game, they can make the best Zelda ever on their next attempt.
>>
>>376145403
meant to write "the best 3DS zelda since...", but I accidentally a word.
>>
It's popular because it's a Zelda series game.

Doesn't matter how shitty it is, you have to like it because it's a Zelda game or you're not cool on /v/.
>>
>>376143463
forget the story, it's shit, but the game is a massive "build your own adventure" and that's what made it so great and on par with N64 entries.

It will never surpass OoT and MM though, not even with 10 DLC packs.
>>
The open-world aspect is genuinely well done, and the gameplay is just fun all-around. But no, I don't think it has the same level of magic as the earlier games. Partly because it's very thin on story and characters, and partly because of the way the environments are designed, I think.
>>
>>376143695
>no memorable characters or setting
I love how obvious it is that everyone who shits on this game hasn't even played it. This game has its flaws but you're not even close to the mark.
>>
>>376145595
>"Heh, you only like it because its zelda!"
>dislikes it just because its zelda
>>
>>376146152
I love BotW, but he's right. Only the champions have any real personality, and they barely get any screentime because they're fucking dead. Purah and Sidon aren't bad, but I doubt they'll stay fan favorites for years like Medli, Midna, and nearly the entire cast of OoT have.

Though I will say that BotW probably has the most interesting Zelda to date.
>>
>>376143463
gameplay is great, story is a little forgettable at times

i don't remember anyones names except mipha, zelda, and ganon
>>
>>376143463
no, it's popular because it's an excellent game.

It doesn't have the same magic that you felt playing Zelda games when you were 8 years old, but nothing does.
>>
>>376143463
It is a little too open most of the time. There seems to almost always be a super easy way to complete a "challenge", and the worst part about this is that it seems to be the only obvious way to complete shit. For example, get to a high outpost by climbing an even higher mountain and gliding down. Works almost every time. Also, enemy difficulty is way down. Bosses seem like midbosses at best. Regular enemies are too easy, and there isn't enough variety. Each type of area really deserves it own set of enemies.

What I hate the most though, is that they have interesting things like cooking in heat resistance, but there is too much freedom thus bypassing it with ease. I never cooked for cold resistance since I found a fire sword 10 minutes into exploring (once you get off the plateau mind you), which took care of everything I needed until I got cold gear. If enemies weren't so easy to get away from, at least my fire sword would have gotten broken, thus forcing me to either explore elsewhere, or cook for the environment.

Also, cooking takes too long so I never really cooked much either way. I just munched away on raw meat anytime my health got low.

I could continue on, but I did find the game enjoyable. When hard mode is released, I will probably replay it with some self imposed challenges.
>>
>>376143463
The combat is engaging, and it has a fun sandbox to mess around in. A few of the characters are great as well. Unfortunately, it is simply too empty to be compared to the 64 games. It is a great game that just needed a little more in the way of characters, music and exploration to be exceptional. Maybe the DLC will remedy this, but having to get DLC to complete what a game should initially have been is not great.
>>
>>376147339
I'll actually argue the opening when you imagine a much huger game than there actually is does give you that feel of "Holy fuck this game is everything" like a 10 year old

Then of course you play the actual game and it's still good but less so
>>
>>376143463
>Does it have any of the magic and soul of the N64 games?
An equal amount. It's refreshing and fun, the open world design being a part of that
>>
>>376148108
THIS. I was fucking hyped during the first 10-15 hours or so when I thought that there would be all different sorts of hidden secrets to find throughout the world. Once it dawned on me that I would only ever be finding shrines and korok seeds, the magic was gone.

Still a great game though.
>>
>>376148537
So you don't care about any of the NPC dialog in the game? Villages, stables, traveling NPCs etc. bring the world to life beyond just shrines and koroks, shrine quests and springs and other landmarks even further.
>>
>>376143695
>It has no memorable characters or setting to speak of.

So THAT's why Sidon has all those mountains of fan art.

Gotcha.
>>
>>376144548
>it's missing what makes Zelda games so much fun.

Gonna need you to be a little bit more specific than that, instead of just meme'ing and namecalling.
>>
>>376145135
>what open world means
Please indulge us.
>>
>>376145595
Yeah it was really popular on /v/ to like Skyward Sword.
>>
>>376143463
No, it's about as "deep" and "interesting" as unmodded Skyrim.
There were good and bad things. I still don't know how they managed to fuck up the OST though.
>>
>>376149369
>I Have Not Played the Game: The Post.
>>
>>376149369
OST is great. This sounds like a cross between Phillip Glass and traditional central european folk music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwyhYmGzKLU
>>
>>376143695
You didn't even play the game.
>>
>>376149440
Enemies seemed like the biggest problem in Skyrim, and it is an even bigger problem in BotW to me.
>>
>>376145135
>puddle
The open world design is deeper than a linear one for anyone with a capacity for imagination though. Why do you think it caught on and got so big?

Linear games are great, but they don't require much imagination from the player. You are spoon fed the experience in a particular fashion. In open world games, the % ratio of delivered adventure vs. created adventure by the player is changed, where the player's contribution is increased dramatically. So, it's as exciting as you are, is what I'm trying to say.

And this is exactly why people with little to no personality don't seem to enjoy any open world games. They just want a really hard linear game that they can number crunch and min-max with. They aren't interested in having an adventure that they contribute in developing.
>>
>>376149369
The OST was damn good. The only bad thing was there wasn't MORE of it.
>>
>>376143695
Alright, the game isn't perfect, the dungeons are short and there aren't enough indoor areas to explore, but no memorable characters? It has a shitload of great characters that carry that special Zelda charm.
>>
>>376149859
>Linear games are great, but they don't require much imagination from the player.

>climbing a mountain, then gliding down to a lower spot requires more imagination than getting to high spots in older games
Sorry, but no...
>>
File: 1488580893543.jpg (25KB, 540x332px) Image search: [Google]
1488580893543.jpg
25KB, 540x332px
>>376143463
Since you ask this question on /v/ I genuinely believe that you have no interest in this game whatsoever. There's plenty of unbiased reviews on the web for you too look up.
But nah you'd rather ask this cynical, jaded shithole.
1/10 for making me reply to your shitty thread
>>
File: WVW69kRmod8GMtFKVp.jpg (56KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
WVW69kRmod8GMtFKVp.jpg
56KB, 800x450px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu3ht2x8odA
>>
>>376150267
Why bother trying to argue when your argument resorts to simplifying things to a retardedly low level? Not to mention, you basically demonstrated your lack of imagination by doing so. Thanks for proving my point.
>>
>>376148962
tumblrinas will make gay fanart of anything
>>
>>376143463
I cant speak for anyone else but here is how i see it when it comes to comparing the different overworlds:
in OOT you are given a mostly open world (there are areas you cannot access without certain items) but a linear path of progression whereas with BoTW you get a completely open world with a non-linear path of progression.

the benefit that BoTW has from this is that there is a real sense of discovery and exploration without any break in the flow of gameplay because you needed X item from Y dungeon before you can continue since you shouldnt be at that part of the story yet.
the downside to not having a linear progression, the dungeons you enter (main ones) have a limit to their complexity and variety since they have to be designed under the impression that it will be the first dungeon the player will go to.

The thing I find that BoTW best uses the open world for is its environmental puzzles with the kass songs/riddles being the best example
>>
BotW is more of a 3D rendition of the original Zelda than an OoT clone which OoT itself was a. 3D rendition of ALttP.
>>
At my workplace there are 5 people who I've spoken to who own and play the game.

2 of them hate zelda games
2 of them are fans
1 usually donät play videogames

all 5 of them say it's the best game they've ever played.
>>
>>376143463
No you aren't twelve anymore dumb nostalgiafag
>>
>>376150531
>resorts to simplifying things to a retardedly low level
Actually it is because the game does that itself. Any "challenge" in the game can be simplified to the easiest level possible. There is no challenge in BotW.
>>
>>376150581
While I love the game overall, I can't agree with you regarding the dungeons. The way they worked was fine - the way combat against sentinel guardians worked was fine. There's not reason they couldn't have taken the same concept and just made the dungeons longer.
>>
>>376150736
Not only is that another bullshit simplification, but you're still going on about "challenges" like that is the main point of the game.

Delivering high challenge isn't the point. Allowing the player to create their own adventure is the point.
>>
>>376147339
What is dark/demon's souls?

BOTW has way too many problems to be considered excellent. It has the foundation of a good game so I'd like them to reuse the engine to do that, but as it is now its easily one of the worst in the series.
>>
>>376151093
>What is dark/demon's souls?

Truly excellent games?
>>
>>376151093
>but as it is now its easily one of the worst in the series
I had a much better time with it than any other 3D Zelda.
>>
>>376143463
Honestly it's one of the most charming games I've played in recent memory (besides automata). Such an innovative, beautiful game which is brimming with life and character. I thought I was done with these huge open world games but nintendos approach to the genre actually makes traversing the environment fun and rewarding. Not to say its perfect, it has its share of problems (notably lack of dungeons and piss easy boss fights) but they are vastly outweighed by how 'special' the game feels. It ultimately needed a few fully fledged dungeons to really cement it as game of the gen in my opinion, but what is there is flawlessly executed. And this is coming from someone who hasn't owned a nintendo console since the gamecube era (and still don't, my friend lent me his wii u so i could play it)
>>
>>376151195
that was in response to the second comment about nothing being as good as old games because of nostalgia or some shit.
>>
>>376151720
I'm doing a low heart run (6 hearts) so my impression might not be accurate, but Thunderblight, the last boss I defeated, was harder than any Zelda boss I can remember aside from maybe Demise.
>>
File: 1493833536991.jpg (111KB, 700x913px) Image search: [Google]
1493833536991.jpg
111KB, 700x913px
As usual a thread filled with trolls that haven't played the game.

It's a very charming game, OP. Characters respond to everything you do, many of them are memorable. I'm talking about random NPCs, not even plot point characters. Even NPCs that you meet along the way are memorable and interesting.
>>
>>376146152
>You never played it because I say so.

I love how drones never handle any criticism.
>>
>>376150692
>>376150692
>2 of them don't give zelda the respect it deserves
>2 of them will like anything that'll nintendo shovels out
>1 of them doesn't have the credibility whatsoever to have an accurate opinion on games and would literally enjoy anything mediocre.
wow epic
>>
>>376143695
/thread
>>
>>376143463
>magic and soul of the N64 games?
Magic and souls aren't real anon, can you explain what you actually mean by these terms? Until you do, I'm gonna assume you mean "muh nostalgia."
>>
File: husbando.jpg (2MB, 2165x2165px) Image search: [Google]
husbando.jpg
2MB, 2165x2165px
>>376152012
>>376152012
No, "you never played it" because you neglected to point out actual flaws and instead made up a lie about the game.

If saying the setting/characters weren't memorable, that could be considered criticism, but seeing as it comes off as a blatant lie or an unbelievable truth to those who play it, you'd have to clarify in order for it to be considered legitimate criticism.

Also Majora's Mask is better
>>
>>376146482
lel what? bolson has more personality than any other npc in previous zelda games. you're full of shit
>>
>It has no memorable characters or setting to speak of

Blatantly wrong
>>
File: a66.png (271KB, 1914x828px) Image search: [Google]
a66.png
271KB, 1914x828px
>>376152136
>souls aren't real
anti-intellectuals please go
>>
>>376152231
ignore this person they're clearly a huge faggot
>>
>>376152252
Honestly this. When you compare Bolson to say, the faggot clowns in TP, or Paya to Malon, then BoTW wins by a landslide. These people saying the NPCs in BoTW are not good are blinded by nostalgia considering they're by far more charming than in previous zeldas.
>>
>>376152410
By the way, this image is bait-tier right?
The man is literally touching the fucking lever, not pulling it is just as much of a dedicated choice as pulling it.
>>
>>376152231
You negleted the whole post and only focused in the character/setting part (wich are actually flaws), read again >>376143695 it points flaws of BotW.

So yeah I never played because you say so, stay in denial.
>>
>>376151921
Probably the most difficult boss in the game desu (not counting the lynels) especially if you're only rocking 6 hearts. On a regular playthrough though he's a walk in the park if you come well prepared, lets be honest.
>>
>>376152395
Even the dark souls games and fucking oblivion have more meaningful side characters and npc's.
>>
>>376146482
Champions personalities were thin as fucking paper and were easily the worst characters in the game though. there were random npcs with no quest attached to them with more personality
>>
>>376143463
>Is this game popular just because of it's open world gameplay?

Kind of, but it also has the Zelda name, the dynamic physics, and a more cartoony artstyle. It's more novel than the average Ubisoft trash. Plus it's a launch title for a new popular console.

>Does it have any of the magic and soul of the N64 games?

"Soul" is a dubious concept but if you mean things like charming characters, a strong OST, lots of high quality dungeons, etc, then no, not really. It's a bit too quantity over quality for my tastes. It has its moments here and there, but it's lacking compared to previous Zeldas.
>>
>>376143463
>Is this game popular just because of it's open world gameplay?

It's popular because it took a series with a true and tired formula and did something new with it by adding gameplay elements that the series did not use till now. Well at that, even with its flaws.

This happened at the cost of classic series gameplay elements being reduced in importance however. Reception would overall be even better if those elements were on par with previous entries.
>>
I can't honestly think of any other game with a better cast of adorable kids than BoTW. I want to adopt a Zora loli.
>>
>>376152687
Blatantly wrong.
>>
>>376143463
It has the magic and soul of a switch game.

Stop living in the past you fat fuck.
>>
>>376152705
And how are they different from the Sages in OoT? They literally aren't.
>>
>>376153272
>It has the magic and soul of a switch game.
You mean it's got the nasty corrupted soul of a greedy, prideful, corporate head? yuck
>>
>>376152395
The setting is basically a theme park of previous Zeldas (all the fan favorite races plus the same old Link/Zelda/Ganon dynamic), with a light futuristic twist that frankly doesn't go anywhere beyond the initial premise. Basically there are some octopus machines running around, and instead of classic dungeon items you have some runes. Even ALBW, a remakequel of a 26-year-old game, does more with its setting. To say nothing of MM or WW.
>>
ITT: faggots blinded by nostalgia. The only Zelda game with better NPCs than BoTW is Majora's Mask. BoTW is certainly a big improvement over TP and SS.
>>
Where the fuck is this last shrine? I can't fucking find it and I don't want to look it up. Any tips one where it could be?
>>
>>376143463
>magic and soul of the N64 games?
You mean nostalgia? Probably not.
>>
File: 1494092526405.png (99KB, 713x914px) Image search: [Google]
1494092526405.png
99KB, 713x914px
>>376143463
I played ocarina of time on emulator and 3ds because every fans of this thing asked me to do it, and I find it boring, old and gay. (also fuck you dunkey).

Take the nostalgia google and put them in the trash, nintenbro.
>>
>>376149859
>Linear games are great, but they don't require much imagination from the player.
Linear games have better mechanics and level design, they allow for more imagination for giving players more options.

>They aren't interested in having an adventure that they contribute in developing.
You aren't developing anything in open world, you're stamp collecting.

>>376151091
>Allowing the player to create their own adventure is the point.
And without anything to challenge them that 'adventure' is meaningless, arbitrary and unengaging.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.