[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't japs like voice acting in their dragon quest games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: DQXI.jpg (79KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
DQXI.jpg
79KB, 600x338px
Why don't japs like voice acting in their dragon quest games?

Even the dq game getting released in 2017 has no voice acting.

I thought it added wuite a bit to DQ VIII
>>
They want it to be "traditional", but it actually hurts a lot the immersion of the game.
>>
Because voice acting is shit and killed wrpgs.
>>
File: 1415919001308.png (130KB, 301x300px) Image search: [Google]
1415919001308.png
130KB, 301x300px
>>376117572
Because the only mainline game really capable of voice acting was VIII. Every other DQ is retro, on DS or an MMO.
I don't know about XI, it seems like an homage to the classic trilogy so that might be why they're not doing voice acting.
>>
>>376117653
>>376118265
Both of these.

>>376117652
How young are you
>>
>>376117652
The most immersive games Ive played didnt have voice acting
The potential for voice work to completely ruin scenes is very high
>>
>>376117653
I agree for the most part, it's hilariously awful in Bethesda games for example. I still have a soft spot for a few voice works though, like Irenicus in Baldur's Gate, but they're pretty rare exceptions.
>>
>>376117572
>we will never get DQXI in the west
>>
>>376120536
You will in summer 2018
>>
Replaying DQ8 on 3DS and the Hero not being voiced really takes away from the fact that the game does have voice acting. When even some rando boss monster has a voice and the Hero stands around mute its just like, may as well not have VA at all.
>>
>>376121493
I see this westerner complain so often lately.
Its pretty amusing.
>>
>>376118790
Yeah but thats because Betheada is based and is fighting against the voice actors union by making the same like 11 different developers do all the VA work for free.
>>
>>376117653
The voice acting in DQ8 is superb
>>
File: wew.png (108KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
108KB, 512x512px
>>376121493
Why doesn't Link talk?????
>>
File: 20_mashharada.jpg (12KB, 155x129px) Image search: [Google]
20_mashharada.jpg
12KB, 155x129px
>play rpg with voice acting

>hello stranger I hear you..
>I might have someth..
>there are stories of a curs..
>many has attemp..
>maybe you will b..
>so what is yo..
>ve..
>good lu..
>>
>>376123115
I'm onboard with this. Wish all rpgs had an option to disable voice acting because constantly hearing incomplete lines really takes you out of the setting.
>>
>>376121698
Having a mute protagonist is fucking stupid. Being called "this guy" or "him" is fucking stupid. Name the protagonist and give him a voice. It's not that hard. Jrpgs don't even have branching paths like that most of the time.
>>
>>376117572
It's cheaper, it's traditional, and you usually play as a silent protagonist anyway.
>>
>>376123860

Having mute protagonist is great, go eat a bag of bioware flavored dicks.
>>
Now that voice acting is gone will there be a female hero option in DQXI?
>>
>>376123860
>Why am I being allowed to role play in this RPG? I'm angry about this!

Why even bother playing that kind of game if you want every aspect of the character determined for you?
>>
>>376124297
>>Why am I being allowed to role play
do people actually do this? i've literally never done this in any game be it with a stock mute character or one made through character creation.
>>
File: eo_img.png (718KB, 549x833px) Image search: [Google]
eo_img.png
718KB, 549x833px
>>376124297
This. Fuck off to another genre of game.
>>
Voice acting was a mistake.
>try to get immersed
>VA's voice is so grating it takes me right out
>le meme recognizable voice
>dev buddy had a friend read a few lines and the voice doesn't fit the character

The character's voice is always perfect when it's one you make up in your head, and it's a lot cheaper. Also, you can get more text in since you don't have to worry about voice file space.
>>
>>376124003
>>376124297
No it doesn't work that way. Being stuck in a predetermined path while everyone else can talk doesn't make it a roleplaying game. If you truly cared about that then you'd bitch about having no options to change the outcome of the story or how the character is stuck with a default look. You want it to remain that way because you're against change completely. Either don't have any va at all or give the protagonist a voice. Doing it half assed just leaves it jarring.
>>
>>376125047
>"I need to be fed character details and development!"
>says others are lazy
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.