[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we fix the MMO genre? What do you want from your ideal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: 1494032445666.png (14KB, 946x593px) Image search: [Google]
1494032445666.png
14KB, 946x593px
How do we fix the MMO genre? What do you want from your ideal MMO?

When will the sandbox meme die?
>>
Previous thread >>376075646
>>
Good MMOs are ones that don't try to appease the largest audience possible to maximize money, but since video games are produced to make money those will not exist anymore. The days of good MMOs are long gone.
>>
Wait for WoW to die then we will get a good MMO
>>
>>376115003

You don't

It doesn't matter if an mmo is sandbox or themepark based, the end result in always the same.

There's just no way to overcome the power of Wiki's and autistic dataminers. Every new MMO get's "solved" about 2-4 weeks after release and all the "solution" gets posted on the internet for the public to see meaning that you might as well stop playing the game because you will never figure out or discover anything new. Every game just devolves into 99% of the constantly diminishing playerbase just being stuck in a monotonous most efficient gameplay loop that you HAVE to participate in because the most efficient method to do everything is publicly available and you are always expected by the playerbase to look it up before doing anything.
>>
>>376115003
i just want some friends
>>
>fixing MMOs
>"when will the sandbox meme die?"
You already failed.
>>
File: 1480795210808.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1480795210808.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>376115003
Black Desert Online is coming to steam soon, buy that and have fun.

Alternatively download Tera for free and jerk off to those sweet bouncing tits.
>>
You don't fix them. You're just not at the age ot wonderment, excitement and adventure anymore. When I played MMOs I didn't even think about looking on the internet for solutions or how to do shit l/what's the best of this blah blah.

You're just not at that age anymore anon
>>
File: 1470377400382.jpg (60KB, 960x944px) Image search: [Google]
1470377400382.jpg
60KB, 960x944px
>Characters that look appealing, appropriate pandering
>Well optimized with slick and simple systems that have depth
>No generic leveling quests or running back and forth, tailored leveling experience with missions that have good writing like something out of Witcher 3 minus all the forced dialogue, each new location will have unique quests that lead into the next location or main dungeon for your level range
>Aimed action rpg combat, no more WoW copypasted shit
>All classes have 2 or 3 main subclasses using alternate weapons that utilize a gameplay focused skill tree with mix-match variety for unique build potential, no more balance roulette
>Attribute equal market/personal value to playing the game across all avenues instead of forcing mindless grind i.e. exploring a new area with unique content will net you as much experience/gold as a heap of fetch quests in other games, making professions fun by creating a scale of interaction where players get to experience new content to deepen their profession instead of botting-tier time consuming shite
>Balanced market that doesn't force PvP, PvE, or Life skill focused players to do what they don't want to but creates constant reasonable value for the others that promotes trade
>Dungeons all have quick rundown intro vids instead of ebin look up a guide for the mechanics xD, dungeons require you to join a party lobby at the dungeon site through a board so people can hopefully make friends instead of matchmaking, players that only meet minimum req given artificial boost to be average
>Cash shop focuses on high quality vanity items, fair rng gacha with direct pay option for all items at tiered prices, premium monthly membership grants access to a premium dungeon/area where you can earn unique vanity items respective to your play interests

>>376115743
this is a fucking great point, its something I've always hated about playing current mmos
>>
remove women
>>
I wish they'd remake Neocron, shit was so cash.
>>
It's astonishing to think the last good MMO was made 12 years ago.
>>
>>376115003

I just want an MMO with a skill set and economy like classic Runescape again.

I actually just want a version of Runescape that I can pay for and play singleplayer
>>
>>376115003
I want no more wikis
I want no more gearscore
I want no more youtube tutorials
>>
The mmorpg market has always been a small niche one, the only time you get big numbers is at the start from people who treat it like witcher 3 stop playing it in a month. These are also the people who keep saying the genre is dead, because they are floaters and always want a new shiny toy, that's not how mmorpg games work though.

Wow is the only mmorpg that has ever managed to get and maintain a large audience, something that no mmorpg will probably do again. This is why WoW 2 was canned, because they knew it would damage wow and they would fail to catch lightning in a bottle again.

This is the idiocy of wow clones like rift, ffxiv, wildstar etc. They think just copying wow will give them the success of wow, that's not what made wow the success it is. It was a success mainly due to being in the right time at the right place. They got lucky.

Even today wow is the undisputed king of the genre so it would be stupid to hurt their cash cow.

Also there is nothing wrong with the mmorpg genre, there is more variety and choice in it now than ever before and when these titles start dying off they will not be replaced. What we have now was due to companies trying to recreate the success of wow, now they know they can't do it so nobody is gonna try again.
>>
>>376115743
>>376116254
the true cancer of online games in general, not just MMOs
>>
>>376115003
>moment you leave a town you die unless you fight in a party
There you go, MMO fixed.
>>
File: 1444685931596.png (309KB, 443x347px) Image search: [Google]
1444685931596.png
309KB, 443x347px
>>376116436
>He doesn't know about Ironman mode
>>
>>376115003
Make them skill-based rather than stat-based.
>>
>>376116594
>no more instancing
>no more dungeon finder
>>
>>376115003

A great customization system for your character's base appearance, which would change as you invested points in stats and as you completed quests in different ways in the world. Invest in strength and solve problems directly, with force, and you'll bulk up.

A fully customizable house that you can build from scratch with chests for loot storage and crafting areas, which must all be built with resources you find or buy yourself.

A rival NPC who grows along with you and allocates stats to oppose your playstyle. Where you are direct and physically strong, perhaps he or she is subtle and learning lost magical arts.
>>
>>376116728
>A fully customizable house that you can build from scratch with chests for loot storage and crafting areas, which must all be built with resources you find or buy yourself.
just play ff14
>>
>>376115743
I know what you're saying and I fully understand but I can't also help but think maybe that is a good thing as well, mostly because I just have Tree of Savior on the mind and it was sort of dug up and revealed that most stats/attacks do absolute dick, maybe just havign the information would be better in a way.

Granted I'm using a very shitty game for the argument so it might night hold any water at all when compared to another game.
>>
>>376116521
It's amazing how everything has to be micromanaged now to just find a little balance
>>
>>376116042
>Black Desert Online is coming to steam soon
What? Is this true?
>>
>>376117073
How does that make a lick of a difference?

It won't all of a sudden become a good game just for being on steam and if you thought it was a good game before and you didn't play it just because it wasn't on steam you are a retarded dick sucking valve fanboy
>>
>>376117193
I'm sorry you have to be so aggressive but yeah, I do not want to install different launchers for every MMO I play, so I only play when it hits Steam. And I do know it will have a launcher anyway but you got my point.
>>
>>376116830

I think the whole point is that you should be finding out those things In-game rather than outside of it.

If some tactic or spell sucks ass, you should be able to converse/fight with other players to come to that conclusion. Party members and guildmates should share their experience and methods among themselves.

If everything you could ever need is available online then we get the current state of MMOs where no one ever actually talks to each other and just autopilot through all challenges using the guide they saw on a wiki/youtube.
>>
>>376117389
>I'm sorry you have to be so aggressive
hit a nerve with the retarded dick sucking valve fanboy I see
>>
File: 1445979937291.jpg (80KB, 400x346px) Image search: [Google]
1445979937291.jpg
80KB, 400x346px
>>376117494
>guy who goes on /v/ to let out his frustration by being a total fag
Calm down guy it's not a big deal.
>>
>>376117494
I'm sorry again.
>>
>the sandbox meme

kill yourself op

doing shitty 10 man coop pve is not massively multiplayer
>>
I miss really nerdy ass shit like EQ

I'd like to see player stats allocation also instead of it being done for you by random

Vast in game word with no map just a compass so you have to rely on people to give directions to where ya gotta go

And enough with the instances already
>>
>>376115743
this is why i am a big fan of the first guild wars. thousands of skills to combine always kept things interesting. and with a team there was always something new to find out.
>>
File: Vanadiel.jpg (613KB, 1280x1006px) Image search: [Google]
Vanadiel.jpg
613KB, 1280x1006px
>>376116227

Fuck. You're right, Anon. It's depressing.

I'm 34, and remember first trying Asheron's Call as 13 or 14 year old. My buddy showed it to me, and it felt so grand. So much adventure out there.

Later, I was given FFXI as a birthday gift in 2003. Little did I know 8 years of my life would be spent in that world.

Now, with a wife, kids, career, etc. I've tried to dip my feet in the MMO waters again and find it shallow and empty.

We can't go back, and somewhere deep inside, I know that. I guess that ship has sailed for all of us.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.