[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System Shock 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: SHODAN.jpg (334KB, 1600x1045px) Image search: [Google]
SHODAN.jpg
334KB, 1600x1045px
Planning on playing this for the first time shortly. Any tips for a newbie, /v/?
>>
>>376111246
Play the first game.
>>
Your weapons can break and they break fast. Make sure to level your maintenance stat properly so you don't end up fucked in the middle of the game. Otherwise just pay attention to the tutorial which explains most of what you need to know.
>>
>>376111246
The wrench is your friend, love the wrench.
>>
wrench hybrids hurt. if you're using guns pay attention to HP and AP ammo

and the game doesn't have shitloads of ammo. so you might think about skipping which fights you can
>>
Play Prey instead.
>>
Standard weapons are all you need
>>
>>376111246
Start with Navy.
>>
>>376111246
the controls are very oldschool. you're going to need to remap some buttons, for example strafe to A and D.
you might wanna lower the music volume. the music can be very obnoxious.
for the first playthrough a straight forward soldier build is recommended. put some points into standard weapons and use pistol, shotgun and assault rifle.
hacking is a very usefull and important skill, put points into it.
use your wrench as often as possible, ammunition is rare.
you can store items by simply putting them on the ground at a place you know you're coming back to.
>>
Play System Shock 1 first
>>
Watch game movie on youtube for the story. The game is unplayable and boring in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>376113081

You must be 18 or older to post here.
>>
>>376113126
That's hardly an argument considering my 14 year old cousin likes and beat ss2

just let trolls troll
>>
>>376112819
the new prey doesn't match up to ss2
>>
>>376111246
Don't waste ammo, especially early in the game, use only the wrench untill you reach engineering/start encountering monkies. Stockpile grenades and level up so you can use the grenade launcher for the very last part of the game.
A few of the psi powers can be really good, especially if you do a melee build, but it's probably better to wait with them till a second playthrough.

>>376113012
>you might wanna lower the music volume. the music can be very obnoxious.
Look at this anon and laugh, the music is great.
>>
Do you want to beat the game without even trying?

Level standard, agility and maintenance
Avoid research, modify and repair

Use the wrench on the first deck
Use the pistol and shotgun till deck 5
Use the assault rifle till the end of the game
>>
>>376113480
I love the ambient tracks, but the pounding techno music outright kills the atmosphere, in my opinion.
>>
>>376111246
>Don't bother with psi powers
>Play the game in the dark
>Learn to repair and maintain weapons
>Learn to hack
>Take the firearm skill up to grenade launcher
>Even if you think you have killed everything on a deck, there will always be respawns
>You will learn to really fucking hate spiders
>>
If you plan on using psychic powers, for the love of god upgrade your general psychic strength instead of trying to acquiere every psychic power im a single run because otherwise you WILL get stuck in the long run.
>>
>>376113235
In certain regards.
>>
File: 1450240204527.jpg (156KB, 675x480px) Image search: [Google]
1450240204527.jpg
156KB, 675x480px
>>376111246
choose navy
standard weapons
repair/maintenance
hacking
it's good for multiple playthroughs so you can mess around with other skills don't worry about trying to do absolutely everything the first time playing
don't be a faggot and dismiss the original either, it's a much better game
>>
>>376113534
Those are the best ones dude, the music makes me want to go fast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtdQ5roMuEA

>>376111290
>>376113053
Any tips for someone who is planning to play ss1 for the first time?
>>
File: cyborg assassin.png (3KB, 258x247px) Image search: [Google]
cyborg assassin.png
3KB, 258x247px
>>376113716
>don't be a faggot and dismiss the original either
this
>>
>>376113757
ok the engineering track is fucking awesome, no question. I think I just had the med sector track in mind.
>>
>>376113716
>repair

Totally useless. Go maintenance all the way.
>>
>>376113607
>Learn to repair

No. Never take repair.
>>
File: sscfg.png (15KB, 608x215px) Image search: [Google]
sscfg.png
15KB, 608x215px
>>376113757
use the original control scheme
open cfg file and change it to pic
you can ignore most of the UI alot of it is silly gimmicks and just for show
holding alt and clicking acts as a double click very useful
there are hotkeys for all the gadgets and screens but the essential ones are 2 for fullscreen, 5 for shield and 9 for rollerblades
cyberspace is easier to play keyboard only (arrow keys for aiming, w s x etc for speed and mashing enter to shoot)
>>
>>376111246
There's an exploit at the start of the game that lets you get basically infinite ammo from the tutorial and take it into the main game. Doing this will practically ensure that you will beat the game.

I highly advise you to do this. You can find out how to do it on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTbFjyDPYh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1soMBsVxqtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z18ekyic2Eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOwh8FUxB6w
>>
>>376114294
this is assuming your gonna play the enhanced edition
>>
>>376111246
>Any tips
Yeah you uninstall it and play first game instead.
>>
Never did a psi run because I heard it was bullshit, but after my 4th play through I want to give it a try, any advice?
>>
Learn the enemy's attack animations

For example, the zombie shit attack animation are slow as shit. All you have to do is to step back when they're attacking, then attack, and repeat.
>>
OP here, cheers anons.

>>376113716
>don't be a faggot and dismiss the original

I'll likely play the first after I complete the second. I know that's slightly retarded but I basically already know the storyline and have the urge to play SS2.

>>376114326
Cheating ruins games for me, it makes them boring. Thanks though.
>>
>>376114326
Part of the fun is to conserve ammo, it also gives you a reason to invest a little in energy weapons. Carrying around 3-4 laser pistols on overcharge and quickly toggling between them to burst down things is A+

>>376114650
Pure psi or a hybrid? If you max your agility, strength and energy weapons and then grab the psi powers that let you run sanic fast and the one that boosts your melee damage you can literally fly around and one hit everything.
For a pure psi I'm not sure what's best, but it requires you to melt down all the ammo and weapons you find so you can buy a stream of psi injectors.
>>
>>376113716
u want a really intense game? dont activate the respawn rooms. no save scumming
>>
>>376113534
Dafuq? MedSci is the most signature track for me. Can't imagine the game without it.
>>
always keep a few spare points to upgrade exotic arms so you can use the batshit alien weapons
Make sure your research skill is high so you can get the benefits of everything researchable
Melee weapons and sneaking is viable for 90% of the game, but make sure you have a ranged weapon with ammo always ready, even if it's just a pistol
Hold on to 3 or more ICEpicks for end of the game
>>
File: ss+(2017-05-06+at+02.56.44).jpg (30KB, 639x150px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-05-06+at+02.56.44).jpg
30KB, 639x150px
>>376114294
Danke, I tried playing through it 2 years ago but had a ton of difficulty dealing with the jumping robots and then my hdd died so I just sort of gave up on it.
>>
>>376115854
Good luck, anon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up80FfzySFA
>>
>>376115997
>them PHM vibes

goddamn this whole ost is amazing
>>
>>376111246
Learn to melee and to do it well. Wind up your attack, step forward, hit the target, then step back/aside before they attack. Once you start getting spiders is when you start using other weapons, but continue using the wrench as much as you can - it's a viable weapon throughout the entire game except for a few very specific enemies in the end-game.

Stick to Standard weapons. Ammo is plentiful for them, and they just plain deal more damage. Energy weapons are okay, but suggest them only as secondary for your first playthrough. Ignore exotic weapons on your first playthrough. They don't appear until late game, they're really not worth the investment, and even after you're able to use them, ammo is still pretty scarce.

Ignore Psi powers until at least second playthrough, preferably third. Don't try to collect all the Psi powers, you don't have enough points to do that and most of them are of questionable usefulness. Look up what they each do, pick the ones you'll be using constantly, and then boost your general PSI stat. If you really want to get some on your first playthrough, only take the lowest tier skills.

Hacking is super important. Make sure you level it as you progress. Research only needs to be at level 1. Repair is useless, level Maintenance instead and make sure you keep weapons in good repair - if you're using the Wrench enough it won't be a problem.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.