[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for any Aspiring Game Devs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: 1480225935258.jpg (492KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1480225935258.jpg
492KB, 1920x1080px
I have just finished my first year studying Computer Science, and have come to realize I don't want to do some trivial programming. I considered a Games and Animation degree, but an art degree at a University price does not sit well with me.

I'll have my technical expertise to fall back on, but how can I go about self-learning game design and development? My programming capabilities are just now developing, but I've always had a knack for appreciating and understanding games of all types as well as the industry to a slight extent.

Would anyone care to recommend a proper game engine to practice developing in? If there is any jargon to the types of methods people go about developing games (for example, what is the difference between a GDK/Game Engine?) , I'd love to hear some of your input.

Also, if anyone has some resources that they think I could find useful I'd love some direction! Next semester I'm going to hang around with some people in the Games and Animation program at my school so I can get some pointers and make some friends, but I'd really like to spend my time this summer pursuing my passion, maybe somebody can shoot me a contact and share some experience!

Sorry for making this post.
>>
use ue4 for 3d

gamemaker for 2d
>>
>>>/agdg/
>>
Go to /g/ you retard. This is the underaged board for shitposters
>>
>>376093307
This.
>>
>>376093307
Ah, forgot about /vg/. Thanks anon. Goodbye. Do what makes you happy
>>
>>376093162
A GDK is a resource for creating content for an already existing game. I.e. mods

Also go to the /amateur game dev general/ on /vg/
>>
Business Advice?
Don't.
The video game market is incredibly oversatisfied right now and you'll have to either get incredibly lucky or do more promotional/e-commerce work than actual developing in order to be successful with a game as an independent dev. If you don't want to go indy expect horrible working conditions, being underpaid and having no job security at all. There's also relative little use for actual programmers with tech skills in the industry and SO many more artists, designers and 3d modelers, so it's even harder for tech people to get into making games as a career.
Stay with your CS courses, or better even get some economic courses in the mix and go for a degree in business informatics.
>>
>>376094492

I originally was a Finance major, but I could imagine myself shooting myself in the face if I had stuck with that my whole life.

There is a game club at my school for Game/Animation students, where CS students also participate. I'm certainly sticking with the CS degree, that way I can always fall back on my technical background. I just want to try, ya know? Build a lil portfolio, see what I'm good at and not good at.

Even if I can't make it in a creative aspect of gaming, I could do programming. The head of the Gaming/Animation program at my school told me that CS students are in demand for their technical understanding of the shits. If the creative route truly isn't for me, I'd like to work for a company the likes of NVIDIA or something, working on those fundamental 3D rendering technologies. That would be great because part of the awe I get from the idea of creating games is the idea of creating a world from the ground up.

>>376094478
Thanks mang.
>>
>>376096085
>it's an "anon follows his dreams" episode
And thus the pile of "I am 30 years old and my life has gone nowhere, I have no job/my job sucks, 6 tells me how to kill myself. I promise to deliver" /b/ posters is endlessly replenished.

Do you think all the medieval peasants in France wanted to be tenant farmers? No. But they did what they had to do to survive.
>>
>>376096085
If you can make it work - more power to you.
Just don't have too high expectations and be prepared to fail.
If you like the idea/aspect of creating a whole world you might try finding a pen and paper RPG group and GM for them. Might scratch that itch and have better investment/return efficiency than trying to create video games. At least it does for me.
>>
>>376093162
>and have come to realize I don't want to do some trivial programming
Ok, do complicated programing then.
>>
>>376096085
There is no harm in trying. Pay attention to your CS degree and have your expectations set on a boring code monkey, wellpaying job but also try shit in university man. That's what's truly great about university, you can try so many things, you have so many oppurtunities so don't be afraid to try but also keep in mind that your CS stuff is the top priority. Figure out what you do and don't like, try new things and at the end of the day even if you land on a boring ass job, you won't worry about what could've been.
>>
If you get into CompSci because of your love for vidya, good for you.

If you get your degree and immediately go into GameDev, you deserve the shit-tier salary (literal 30th percentile or less) and terrible work-life balance.

If, in 4 years of compsci you have not found a love for anything else but vidya, you are retarded.

If you think "game design" is a thing and not a title given to people with YEARS of cross-industry experience, then you are a retard.

Source: what the fuck do you think
>>
obv wrong

game designers are just as revered and loved by people of the outside world as they are by us
>>
>>376096785
>everyone should suffer doing a menial job like me
Also, medieval peasants in France killed their regents to finally do something else, among other things.
>>
File: cool dragon sunnies.jpg (113KB, 684x690px) Image search: [Google]
cool dragon sunnies.jpg
113KB, 684x690px
>>376100141
>Also, medieval peasants in France killed their regents to finally do something else, among other things.
>he thinks the french revolution was a success
>>
File: 1444378944423.jpg (85KB, 446x599px) Image search: [Google]
1444378944423.jpg
85KB, 446x599px
>>376100205
Yeah man, we missed out on working 19 hours a day and yet starving to death.
>>
>>376100346
That's not what I said, senpai.

Also, peasants had it better than urban labourers at all points in time up until the invention of networked freight and modern town planning, which was about the 1870s. In a food shortage city folk are the first to starve you retard, and how are peasants going to work 19 hours when the sun goes down at 5pm? 16 hour work days were reserved for the urban factories with gas lighting.

Stop talking about shit you know nothing about. I'd rather be a peasant in the 1400s than a Londoner in the 1800s.
>>
>>376100482
>I'd rather be a peasant
Well congratulations, you clearly are one.
>>
File: BkUuHx3IAAEvTrQ.jpg (65KB, 595x547px) Image search: [Google]
BkUuHx3IAAEvTrQ.jpg
65KB, 595x547px
>>376100620
>>
File: 1493611607901.jpg (213KB, 1087x803px) Image search: [Google]
1493611607901.jpg
213KB, 1087x803px
>>376093162

Bases on personal experience:
-Finish your Computer Science studies.
-Find a good job, well paid.
-Try to live close to where that job and similar jobs are, so no need to spend time commuting.
-Use free time to do games., not investing money but time, doing it for fun and self-learning.

So far, I have done some crappy but profitable mobile stuff, and I am into my first PC project on Unreal/C++, though I spent most of this year improving 3D modelling skills. I will probably achieve a piece of shit at the end, but I am enjoying it a lot and I am pretty sure all I do and lear will be useful in the future.

And as Tarantino said, no need to go to a cinematography school, is enough and better just to go to the movies.
>>
File: 1486678911500.png (253KB, 500x458px) Image search: [Google]
1486678911500.png
253KB, 500x458px
>>376094492
>oversatisfied

It's the Vidya industry not some fucking brothel whore.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.