[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else think that Link's design has become diluted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: 1491836011931.jpg (74KB, 800x1199px) Image search: [Google]
1491836011931.jpg
74KB, 800x1199px
Does anyone else think that Link's design has become diluted over the past decade or so?

I think it began with Twilight Princess, where, due to the Wii's motion controls, they switched him to being right handed, but with Breath of the Wild, it seems most of what makes him "iconic," you know, his green tunic, hat, Hylian shield, they're just kind of there as optional pieces of armor.

I mean, I love BotW, don't get me wrong, but it feels like what helps Link stand out apart from your MC from Dark Souls, or a thousand different WRPGs, is starting to be lost.
>>
Aonuma is hell-bent on turning Zelda into Skyrim.

That's why you see all of these shitty changes in the recent games.
>>
You think BotW would be better without armor? With all due respect, are you fucking high? The armor designs are excellent. And Link is still Link.
>>
>>376055730
>Link has that shield in most of the promo art
>Has it on the figure
>Doesn't have it in the flashbacks ingame
Whats up with that
>>
>>376055730
>no green tunic, no hylian shield
>twink
might as well make him right handed while you're at it.
>>
>>376055730
I think building armour around the original style tunic would be awesome.

Silver gauntlets + red tunic + crescent moon mirror shield will always be the best.
>>
>>376056884
I didn't say that. I'm saying that his overall character design and look has changed, especially with the latest game.

The green tunic, hokey hat, the fact that he originally was left handed, these are things that helped make a generally personality-free character come off recognizable. The game is great, but it feels like Link could generally be swapped out for anyone, at least visually.
>>
>>376055730

the blue tunic goes back to the original Zelda

Link's coloration in Link to the Past is a mix of various unusual colors by the end of the game

also made prominent in the beginning of Windwaker, which you could unlock and wear all the time

There are many different options in BOTW, so what's the big problem?
>>
That's the whole point about botw. It's supposed to break out of its formulaic mold, and the new design is a visible example of that.

Why are you saying that's a new thing? The new shirt is pretty iconic now.
>>
>>376057423
>the blue tunic goes back to the original Zelda
???
>>
>>376057423
>>376057459
Well I guess it's a question of what exactly is Link? He's more or less always been a vehicle for the player to self-insert into, but was still instantly recognizable. End game armor, or bonus unlocks, like in Wind Waker, are just that- little things.

I mean, if they're going to this length, why not just include a character creator in the next game?
>>
>>376057642

Did you not find the blue ring? Or did you just never play the game?
>>
>>376057849
Link has always changed from game to game though. That's the whole point. I'm surprised you find it strange now years after Wind Waker came out.
>>
>>376057903
Not that guy, but I never fucking saw Link's final tunic as looking blue.
>>
File: 011.png (4KB, 768x528px) Image search: [Google]
011.png
4KB, 768x528px
>>376057642
I think he's talking about that blue-ish armor you get with the blue ring.
>>
>>376058012
Well Wind Waker caused a pretty big stir back in the day as well, but you still had most of the design, just will that cell-shaded cartoony look.

BotW Link is blonde, and can come across the Master Sword? Most everything else is up in the air.
>>
>>376058106
I always thought it was white.

Anyways, the "champions tunic" in BotW is just the pajamas from WW.
>>
>Remove 30 year old iconic outfit
>Main character is still very much iconic and recognisable

That's a good thing you fucking idiots.
>>
>>376055730
I prefer the green tunic with the cap, but I think the blue champion's tunic is a nice change
>>
>>376058428
I'm not really sure he is though? From the neck below he feels like he could be anyone.
>>
>>376058061

No but the second one is. And you only get the red ring in the last dungeon. For a majority of the game you're in blue. The item is even called the blue ring, I'm wondering how >>376058285 saw white.
>>
>>376055730
BOTW is his best outfit to be honest. i'm surprised they completely pulled off making an iconic, not-green link outfit
>>
>>376058624
I saw it as white too. I think it has to do with the screen you play it on.
>>
>>376055730
it's so they sell u amiibo for the classic designs
>>
>>376057080
Because it's from the modern era not the past.
>>
>>376058247
That's just because you have much more freedom in this game than any other zelda game in general. You can choose to be the tunic-wearing link with master sword and shield, but that's completely up to you.

It annoys me that you get the tunic so late in the game though, but that's a discussion for another day.

The fact that most promo art shows him without the tunic shows that the zelda games are more than just the tunic.
>>
>>376058589
Yeah when you remove people's faces and they don't have any tattoos they tend to lose distinctive features, retard.
>>
>>376058841
Or you could just beat the game and get the classic design for free.
>>
>Left-handed """gamurs"""

When will big devs stop pandering to small minorities who don't even want to play real games in the first place?
>>
>>376058589
I'm sure Nintendo is very sad they can't make a brutally decapitated Link for the next Zelda game.
>>
>>376058947
You could recognize most Nintendo characters if you cropped their heads.

I'm not sure about Link's modern interpretation.
>>
>>376058678
You do not know what "iconic" means.
>>
>>376058881
I agree Zelda games are more than just Link's character design, but is Link?

If they're opening the doors for customization like that, then why not have a character creator?
>>
>>376059168
>then why not have a character creator
Yeah because that worked so well for Xenoblade... oh wait.
>>
>>376058713

But they called it the blue ring. Did you play on a black and white TV?
>>
>>376059168
I actually think they should have had a character creation. Link has never really been an interesting character, and is mostly molded to fit the story.

Link has always just been a different people destined to defeat ganon, the only thing that connects them is that they all wear the tunic.
>>
>>376059401
It works in the various games BotW takes inspiration from. I don't think anyone was particularly offended because Skyrim let you design your character.
>>
>>376059458
You never see a ring, only a tunic that looks white.
>>
>>376059401
Are you saying that it didn't? The only problem it has is that it lead to the character being a mute uninteresting character, which Link has always been.
>>
>>376059486
Wrong, the only thing that connects them is that they all inherited the soul of the hero the Goddess Hylia fell in love with. The tunic is just a piece of cloth.
>>
>>376057396
>I don't understand character design, the post
>>
File: Legend+of+Zelda_014.png (4KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Legend+of+Zelda_014.png
4KB, 256x240px
>>376059572
>you never see a ring
>>
>>376059653
I mean what connects them in looks and design.

At least until botw
>>
>>376059653
Okay, then why shouldn't the player have the option to make that hero have a slightly more prominent chin and a different haircut?

>>376059734
Please explain.
>>
>>376058853
But in the cutscene at the end he still doesn't have it
>>
>>376059778
You never see him wearing the ring in-game.

Do you have a genuine mental illness?
>>
>>376059778
It doesn't say "blue ring," and the tunic color certainly isn't that dark.
>>
I don't get how you wouldn't identify BotW Link as Link. Always shown with a sword, shield, bow, usually on a horse, elf-ears, and ridiculously long sideburns hanging off yet clean-shaved. Also blonde and blue-eyed.

It's not as if he hasn't changed his design like 10+ times already, I think at this point you can spot him if he has the basic pattern down with some key features (in this case, who the fuck else has those sideburns).
>>
>>376060330
A sword, shield, horse, being blonde, I don't really see this as indicators of Link. That could anyone from Dark Souls.

I guess the pointy ears? The haircut is an odd one, since it's usually, in just about any other game, covered by the hat, which he doesn't have.
>>
>>376055730
Link is nothing but a bow legged asexual hermaphrodite manlet. He is the "link" to the player as in 5'5 virgin cucks can easily relate to him
>>
File: manual23.jpg (55KB, 678x533px) Image search: [Google]
manual23.jpg
55KB, 678x533px
>>376060009
>>
>>376060953
Did you actually have the manual?I just picked up an old NES cart at a garage sale when I was a kid.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.