[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the current state of VR?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: screen.jpg (104KB, 800x300px) Image search: [Google]
screen.jpg
104KB, 800x300px
What's the current state of VR?
>>
the funding bubble's burst this year.
you know things are bad when oculus goes out and tells studios that being vr-exclusive is a bad idea.

there's still no good solution to the locomotion problem - until that is resolved, there is little to no chance of vr being more than a very niche product.
>>
>>376030312
It's shit.
>>
How would those VR glasses not ruin your eyes?
>>
>>376030654
sitting close to a tv never ruined anyone's eyes, it's a myth. it causes eyestrain tho. that's not the case in VR as the lenses make your eyes focus at infinity, not close to you.
>>
>>376030654
VR headsets don't use CRTs
>>
Still a meme
>>
File: 321312345.jpg (278KB, 1040x1464px) Image search: [Google]
321312345.jpg
278KB, 1040x1464px
>>
File: 1493954221256.png (52KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1493954221256.png
52KB, 240x240px
>>376030312
This is the current state of VR:
http://www.allgamesdelta.net/2017/05/this-is-what-oculus-co-founder-palmer.html
>>
>>376030654
Eyes are a muscle and like any other in your body they become stronger with repeated use.
Use it or lose it.
>>
>>376033709
Stop shilling your shit site.
>>
>>376030312
Nintendo has this weird patent thing that now that the switch was released it makes sense.

They might try it in the future and until then there might be a killer app for VR.
>>
>>376034258
>Switch can barely run Zelda at 720/30
>People expect it to do VR
Oh I am laffing at this.
>>
>>376033836
Prime bait, anon.
>>
>>376030654
They don't ruin your eyes or cause strain because they use magnifying lenses to focus on a tiny rendered image, fooling your eyes and brain into believing they're looking far off into the distance instead of at something inches away.
>>
>>376030654

Sitting close to a TV never would have made you blind. But they were fuzzy because low def and CRT so they caused headaches from trying to focus for hours on a fuzzy picture. Now that we have HD and better screen tech, you'll be fine.
>>
Absolute failure.
Oculus and valve both tried to monopolize vr and lock it to bullshit platforms. Everything is closed source and doesn't function like normal drivers, and is tied to mandatory online updates.
They created a split double monopoly and refused to let the other one have any ground or make any sort of comprimise, at best creating piss poor wrapper API to hamfist in support for the opposing platform.
AAA devs immedietely stopped giving a shit because developing for one absolute VR platform is risky enough, developing for 2 seperate ones or worse, one of two, is fucking retarded. They waited until one would fold so they could develop for the winner, which never happened because they're both sitting on piles of infinite money.
As a result VR is dead, permanently stuck as shitty gimmicky indie games. Thanks valve, thanks Facebook.

Also cathode televisions ruin your eyes because you're being bombarded with beta radiation.
>>
>>376034390
>muh graphix
>>
>>376034390
Hey it's a nintendo patent right there, in front of your eyes. Probably most people wouldn't care because VR has proven to be wortheless meme shit.
>>
>>376034840
I thought Sony was in the best position to actually do something with their fuck huge install base and cheap headset but even they failed to perform with the games. The one thing that ultimately mattered was the games. Fidelity and framerate doesn't mean shit with no games.
We got Summer Lesson, some overpriced Idolmaster game and a bunch of farted out "experiences" and tech demos.
>>
>>376034258
>now that the switch was released it makes sense.
The switch's refresh rate and resolution make it worse than the first development kit oculus.
Shit would make you go blind.
>>
>>376035138
PSVR was doomed to failure, sony always puts a minimal amount of effort into gimmicks. Anyone with half a brain could have told you it would end up exactly like ps move or pseye.
>>
>>376034258
Remember that Sony patent for "Throw a pickle into the McBun to continue playing"?
>>
>>376035403
I expected it to happen exactly as it did but I also saw a possible timeline where they put effort in and capitalized on it big time.
>>
File: vrkanojo.jpg (226KB, 1035x925px) Image search: [Google]
vrkanojo.jpg
226KB, 1035x925px
A shame, we were getting close.
>>
>>376034258
So what? Nintendo has tons of patents that never went anywhere.
>>
>>376035541
>but I also saw a possible timeline where they put effort in and capitalized on it big time.
Nothing short of selling a PSVR on half of all playstations would do that, and they didn't even remotely plan on that considering the psvr launch lineup.
>>
Monitor + strap + face. Shills will deny anyway
>>
>>376030312

Still an overpriced gimmick and there hasn't been a seriously appealing use of the technology even after all this time.
>>
>>376035452
Who wouldn't, the most silly patent of all time. I said "might", nintendo most probably not but hey the thing is there if just for a funny "Did you know?" bit of information.
>>
>>376035816
I know, I know.
My hypothetical scenario assumes the launch lineup had been robust and contained a few brilliant exclusives and also assumes No Man's Sky wasn't a flaming bag of shit but a genuinely good game with VR support.

I wish things would turn out like I hope they would more often than I expect they would.
>>
>>376035312
>The switch's refresh rate
At least 60hz??

The resolution might be too low, you are right on that.
>>
>>376035065
>vr at low res and low framerate
I hate graphicwhores like the next anon but cmon, you need something more powerful than the NX to do something cool
>>
>>376036036
90hz is the minimum standard to prevent a lot of the headaches that vr causes due to movement.
>>
>>376036358
Damn, no console can handle VR at all then. Maybe the Scorpio will, technically speaking.
>>
>>376037316
Even psvr is 120hz anon, get your shit together.
>>
>>376030312
It works if you have the right equipment and space, but it still isn't as immersive as I would have expected it to be.

I have a PlayStation VR. Whilst the screen resolution isn't as good as HTC Vive, it still gives a good experience for a console.
>>
>>376037621
I mean because of hardware, anon.

If consoles can barely run at full HD 30fps, or 900p at 60pfs then huge tradeoff will be needed for 90-120fps, like dating-sim tier games for example.
>>
>>376037691
I wonder if Sony losing money on the hardware. Why won't they make it work on PCs too? It would be pretty competitive.
>>
>>376038060
It depends on the graphics of the game anon, tlou is "the most beautiful console game ever" and it's a ps3 game that runs at 60 fps with downsampled 4k, it would easily work at 120 fps at whatever weak resolution the psvr can output.
>>
>>376038545
It does work for PC, just nobody wants to invest into vr by getting the shittiest vr headset on the market. You either go for broke or don't bother.
>>
>>376030312
Wait for a second generation, if there is even one at this point. The Vive has the better headset, but the Rift has the better controllers.
>>
VR is a gimmick, until there's support for proper movement (and a way to utilize it that doesn't cost another $1000 on top of the $2000 rig and $1000 headset kit) it will never get anywhere because it's literal target range shit.
>>
>>376038060
No, developers are just lazy as fuck.
It's not like Sony and Microsoft tell devs to make shit games that run like ass.
They could have a cartoony game that looks great run 60fps 4K on a PS4 (ignoring HDMI spec) but devs are so fucking obsessed with rendering every bead of sweat on some faggots head in the shooter of the month.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.