[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 5ad.jpg (41KB, 600x615px) Image search: [Google]
5ad.jpg
41KB, 600x615px
Hey /v/, I'm about to start a project in UE4 and I want some input.
My goal is to create a Zelda style dungeon crawler with an overworld similar to OoT. So as you complete dungeons and gain items you can use them to access more areas and backtrack to use them in sidequests and secret areas.
I want the game to have a more foreboding, eerie feel, like the well in kakariko or the shadow temple, or many areas of majoras mask.
I think a lot of this has to do with contrast between the bright and cheery areas and the bloodstained creepy ones, as well as the sound design. My question is this:
What makes a game scary or creepy to you? Beyond just jumpscares and relentless gore, what gives you a chill in games?

Also game design general I guess
>>
>>376025227
Things that are out of place. It's the only thing that can spoop me for whatever reason.
>>
>>376025227
let me ask you anon, why would i play your game instead of just playing zelda?
>>
>>376025383
What do you mean? Like, in your house your lamp is in the wrong spot? Or in an OCD way
>>
>>376025531
It's basically just more Zelda. Similar mechanics, but with new items and dungeons and enemies (and a different art style, for obvious reasons).
I'm really just making it to scratch an itch for myself in terms of game design.
>>
>>376025227
>kill zombie
>corpse remains for 30 minutes of real time, you can walk past it all you want
>it comes back later as a stronger, faster and scarier Crimson Head

>walk by something suspicious and nothing happens
>later, something happens there and because you let your guard down after the first time, it scares you even more

>claustrophobic camera

>give the viewer a quick flash of something they can't understand but terrifies them

All of these things are in REmake, the bible of horror gaming.
Play it for research.
>>
>>376025539
Say you're in a cyberpunk setting. And then all of the sudden, you start going down a pit and what you find there is not a robot or a cyborg or anything of the like. Instead, it's just a freakish demon, a man with the heads and legs of a goat, screeching and sprinting towards. That's the kind of shit that would spoop me.
>>
>>376025719
I forgot to mention
>enemies are too dumb to open doors
>later on they figure it out
>>
>>376025719
Will do anon thanks. I've played plenty of horror games, but so many just fall into the amnesia style running away simulator style now, especially indie games.
>>376025805
Interesting. That fits with what I said about contrast. Games like dark souls or bloodbourne aren't scary because everything is dark and slimy and gothic.
>>
>>376025995
>later on they figure it out

Holy fucking shit

Examples?
>>
>My goal is to create a Zelda style dungeon crawler with an overworld similar to OoT.
I can ready tell you that your project is shit, and your "ideaman" mentality won't get you in more than 2 months of "work".

Good luck being another failure in a long list of fags who can't maintain a project on /v/
>>
File: 1422756877966.jpg (40KB, 415x415px) Image search: [Google]
1422756877966.jpg
40KB, 415x415px
Abandoned areas. Especially when set in more modern urban areas. It's all about that subtle creepiness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KBP6qPtV6Q&t=79s
>>
Who cares if its a hobby project that goes unfinished from using free assets? Ill learn a bit either way.
>>
File: 127.jpg (65KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
127.jpg
65KB, 500x338px
Here's a good idea for an enemy type that always scares the shit out of me. It has to be able to kill the player in only a few hits and chase them relentlessly within a certain zone. You must be able to enter that zone and get close to it without intentionally sneaking, so you sort of stumble into them. However, if downright bump into them, they freak out and start attacking the player. Think of the witch from Left 4 Dead.

Also, make sure it's not a 1-hit kill. The fact that you can survive a single hit or so makes the player more likely to engage that enemy. If it's a 1-hit kill, they'll just avoid that enemy entirely.
>>
>>376026378
>bathtub zombie
>knight puzzle hallway
To say any others is a spoiler in itself, but it's not just doors they figure out...
>>
So videogame devman, how do you get assets and textures? You just go out in the world and take pictures?
>>
>>376026672
Good shit
>>376027085
Also good shit
>>376028293
Google is your friend.
>>
>>376028613
Cool

Max Payne and FEAR aged alright since they use real life pictures as textures. Only thing that really bothers me is the simple geometry. Are you going for something a bit more photorealistic or stylized?
>>
>>376028841
Definitely stylized, I don't have the talent or time to do photorealistic style. And it would age really poorly
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.