[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most RTS have no high ground. How come?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 509a.jpg (74KB, 1280x786px) Image search: [Google]
509a.jpg
74KB, 1280x786px
Most RTS have no high ground. How come?
>>
>>376014152
I can't think of many that don't. What are you talking about?
>>
I think what you're describing is a problem with Dawn of War and Company of Heroes, where the camera is so limited and shitty that featuring hills would make half the map a nightmare to navigate.
>>
I think Empire Earth did
>>
>>376014152
I believe that is more of a tactical game than a RTS one.

What the point when you are clashing hundreds mixed units like soldiers, aircrafts and artillery?
>>
>>376014152
youre playing the wrong rts
>>
Age of Empires 3 have.
>>
>>376014152

Which ones?

Empire Earth had it
Starcraft had it
Rise of X had it
TW had it
World in Conflict / GC had it.
Wargame had it
MoW had it

Only ones that come to my mind are very old or relic games like CoH
>>
>>376015853
That distinction is so stupid, anon. Are you commanding a whole battle force around? That's part of the strategy genre. It's a blanket term covering everything from the space battles in Master of Orion 2 to more traditional base-builders. In the past couple years I've seen a distinction try to get made on /v/ and it's like /mu/ arguing whether it's blackened thrash metal vs black metal with strong thrash influences. Who gives a shit? It's gnarly Scandinavian metal, up there with every other gnarly Scandinavian band.
>>
>>376014152
Planets are flat. What the hell is this?
>>
>>376014152
>>376015892
Even AoE2 has it and that's one ancient game. I remember building a castle near an enemy gold mine but turns out I had no vision of it because of the friggin bumped up terrain.
>>
>>376016789
I don't get you point anon, the word tactics specificaly refers to positioning and inteligent use of the field, strategyis a broader term that includes logistics and resources. The point I'm trying to make is that in games where bullers are coming from all directions, say like SupCom, whats the point in giving an advantage because you are higher than the enemy? so aircrafts wil always have such advantage? what about artillery? it really has no benefit on being on higher grown. Its also stupid that missiles just crash on the side of mountains instead of doing an inteligent path, in games where they are a weapon most likely are inteligen enough, even if I understan it was made for balancing problems.

Meanwhile in games like Xcom, hight advantage is somethig fitting and important to have.
>>
>get Obi-wan on the highground
>youre undefeatable now

nah, it would be too strong
>>
I've been looking forward to this
>>
>>376015021
But CoH actually got hills.
Firing uphill is harder than downhill
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.