[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should the video game industry kill off traditional consoles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: neon_yellow_switch1.jpg (34KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
neon_yellow_switch1.jpg
34KB, 1200x800px
Should the video game industry kill off traditional consoles ?

Boogie brought this up today. He was saying instead of releasing a new console every five years that have games exclusive games to only that system they should do it differently.

Treat consoles like cell phones. Release a updated console every year. It still plays all the same games. Only difference is it's slightly more powerful than the year before.

Is this the direction gaming needs to go?

Would you buy the Nintendo Switch if Nintendo just kept that same console but just tweaked it every year?
>>
>>375924726
>watching Boogie
Kill yourself faggot fat ass
>>
>>375924726
The video game industry should be PC and phone only. Everything else is massive levels of autism.
>>
>>375924726
because it will slowly push consumers to buy the newest console sooner than the traditional generation cycle

this isnt about making things easier for the consumer; it's about making the likes of Sony , Nintendo and MS more money faster
>>
not only would you have to pay $300-500 each year for marginal increases in power but the production of games would have to increase to cater for people owning different modules of the same system
>>
>>375925207
PC only are the most autistic by a large margin.
>>
>>375924726
>boogie
PAY MUH HEALTHCARE *proceeds to eat an entire jar of mayo in one sitting*
somebody post the webm
>>
>>375924726
>release an updated console every year
Fuck off and die, it's fucking pathetic that the mobile phone market does this
>>
>>375924726
no need for that...
PC is currently stagnating in performance. But after Volta releases, there is no need for further performance boosts anymore. There is also no reason to ever go beyond 4k 144fps
In maybe 10 years, 4k should be standard, and the hardware required will be affordable, even for console manufaction.
>>
>>375925207
I think you've forgotten what autistic means, just like everyone else that loves to spam the word.
>>
>boogie brought this up today
oh, really? well my BROFIST BARREL BRO Pewdiepie said that all jews should be exterminated and I think that that's a much more convincing argument, what say you?

e-celeb shit needs to be banned from /v/. Permanently.
>>
>>375925965
>you shouldn't be allowed to mention a person as a minor point of a post because they have a YouTube channel.
>>
File: guile.jpg (20KB, 408x446px) Image search: [Google]
guile.jpg
20KB, 408x446px
>make sure that consoles lose their absolute last advantage so that they are left with absolutely none
sure
go ahead.
>>
>>375924726
If this happened I would just drop consoles. I can't afford to buy new console every 3 to 4 years.
>>
>>375926301
You don't have to upgrade. It would just be an option. The console would play all the games. It would just be slightly less powered in theory.

I'm sure at some point you would have to upgrade. The Switch wouldn't be able to handle the new switch 5 games or whatever.
>>
>>375926542
>the point of consoles is to make all games easily accessible to normies within the same system
>make it the opposite

0/10 didn't make me think
>>
>>375924726
>making consoles mini PC's
why not just buy a bloody PC?
>>
>>375924726
>Boogie hublubs through an idea I had been carefully piecing together in essay for for my gaming blog.
>If I post it now, everyone will think I just copies him

Fuck Boogie.
>>
>>375928605
It's a retarded idea anyways
>>
I want to take it a step further.

You dont buy consoles, you subscribe. Whenever they release an update, might be 12 months, might be 18, 24, they send you the new one and you post back your old one (which they recycle)
Companes are getting more environmentally concious and avoiding using raw materials.
>>
>>375928605
>everyone
Yeah those four people who read your blog will be upset your ripped off boogie
>>
Modular consoles are retarded.

Just keep a 6 year cycle.
>>
>>375924726
Sounds even worse. Consoles don't have a reason to exist and should just be removed.
>>
>>375924726
>It still plays all the same games. Only difference is it's slightly more powerful than the year before.
So there's literally no reason to update year after year unless it's got an apple branding and you've got more money than braincells.
>>
>>375924726
That would make sense. In my perfect world, I'd want to see one powerful console that allows you to use a mouse and keyboard as a normal input device for games. Just have one $300-400 box that I can buy that's guaranteed to play every game compatible with it.

Reading over the way you described cell phone sales, it sounds really similar to how Nintendo deals with its handhelds (Game Boy to Game Boy Color, GBA to GBA SP, DS to DSi, 3DS to New 3DS), which has worked out really well for them and doesn't really screw over anyone with an older model of handheld. I'd be really ok with just periodically rebuying an updated console as long as I can easily transfer data from my old system to the new one
>>
>>375924726
Cell phones are tied to things like family plans and cellular provider contracts. That's why people are able to get a new phone every 2 years for 100~ dollars. If they were buying the new cellphone hardware without a plan, they would need to spend 600 dollars.

That's why it wouldn't work with consoles. Unless Sony or Nintendo is willing to drop the price down to 100 as long as I'm loyal, it would NEVER catch on
>>
>>375924726
That's called a PC
>>
>>375924726
>"Everything is simple in the eyes of an idiot."
>---an engineer
>>
>>375925602
>not using ultrawides
kys pleb
>>
>>375926282
>make sure that consoles lose their absolute last advantage so that they are left with absolutely none
I don't see the problem.
>>
>>375924726
This is literally what I have been saying the switch is since before it even launched.
This is Nintendo's marketing plan
expect to see a tablet only version that improves the gpu and adds 4G LTE by winter 2018
screen cap this post, or don't none of this fucking matters anyway
>>
>>375924726
I rather have a larger jump in technology they subtle changes.
>>
>>375933005
I doubt it.
The Switch is essentially the Wii U pro.
>>
>>375924726
Annual consoles is a horrible idea for consumers.
>>
>>375924726
Boogie should kill himself off
>>
>>375935097
Realistically we should have developers that actually utilize the technology for a longer time.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.