[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I doing something wrong? I hear this is the best game ever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 16

File: Morrowind_1.jpg (18KB, 320x240px)
Morrowind_1.jpg
18KB, 320x240px
Am I doing something wrong? I hear this is the best game ever so I'm download it, pick warrior class, get some low level armor and an iron shortsword, then do the first quest for the fighter's guild.

I have to kill three rats and while the first one was easy the two upstairs are murdering me. I went out and got some better armor but I just stand there swinging and swinging and the game only registers one or two hits out of 10. And these fucking rats just keep murdering me.

What am I doing wrong?
>>
You are using a weapon you don't have skill in and are attacking without any stamina and baiting for (you)s
>>
>>375914440
Well whats the best way to start out?
>>
File: 1392581669558.jpg (620KB, 1920x1080px)
1392581669558.jpg
620KB, 1920x1080px
Has anyone played Skyrim: Home of the Nords and/or Province Cyrodiil yet?
>>
>>375914354
Hidden dice roll to hit on every swing D&D style. It's a true rpg, not an action hack and slasher.

That said your hit chance corresponds to:
-Your weapon skill
-The stat behind it
-and (they fail to tell you this but it is very important) how much fatigue you have left.

When you're a low level nobody you're not supposed to be able to go around killing everything. As you level up your combat stats you pretty much never miss anymore unless your fatigue is empty, it's only a level 1 problem which is why it's such a great pleb filter.

Try resting outside for an hour to go in with max fatigue/using those potions from the fight guild chest.
>>
Nostalgiafags refuse to admit that mixing the DnD style dice roll combat with real time action adventure gameplay was stupid and a disaster.
>>
>>375914479
Pick a Nord with 2h axe or a Redguard with whatever weapon you like if you're shit.

If not, scrounge up some gold and TRAIN a weapon skill to at least 45.

Put points in Agility on any melee character.

That's about it really.
>>
>>375914763
Try again after you've played the game.
>>
File: 1486463470145.jpg (168KB, 800x582px) Image search: [Google]
1486463470145.jpg
168KB, 800x582px
>>375914479
Use a weapon that you've tagged as a major skill.
Make sure you have agility tagged as a key attribute.
Make sure you let your stamina bar regen before engaging in combat.
Turn down the difficulty in the options menu because the game expects you to minmax your character so the first few hours are hard as fuck if you don't.

Hope that helps and you're not just a shitposter because I totally envy you getting to play it for the first time.
>>
>>375914763
It actually resulted in one of the very few 3D rpgs that plays at least a little bit like a rpg and isn't just a mislabeled action/adventure game.
>>
>>375914815
I doubt that would change anything, casuals can't into abstraction.
>>
>>375914479
Look at your skills and use the weapon type you have the highest skill in. Don't assbounce everywhere all the time, manage your stamina when you're expecting combat. Hold the attack button down for the full duration of the animation to get the most damage out of each swing. Explore the environment to find more and better equipment. You can walk out of Seyda Neen with full armor, an enchanted weapon, numerous enchanted rings, and thousands of coins if you're thorough.
>>
File: 1486448167181.jpg (524KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1486448167181.jpg
524KB, 1920x1080px
>>375915269
Especially if you have Tribunal.
Love frostbiting those Dark Brotherhood idiots at lvl1.
>>
File: angryvivec.jpg (8KB, 152x153px)
angryvivec.jpg
8KB, 152x153px
FUCKING OPENMW BE DONE NOW
1 POINT 0
1 POINT 0
1 POINT 0
>>
>>375915471
Delayed Dark Brotherhood Attack is a mod everyone should use
>>
>>375916028
Soon.
>>
>>375916081
Only if you hate money and light armour.
>>
File: morrowindalchemy.webm (918KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
morrowindalchemy.webm
918KB, 1280x960px
>>375916081
I never get good results with that mod. Even if I complete the main quest and reach level 70, no assassins attack. I end up having to use the console to progress.
>>
Read this:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=472931211
>>
File: come-on-now.jpg (8KB, 236x213px) Image search: [Google]
come-on-now.jpg
8KB, 236x213px
>>375916325
https://bugs.openmw.org/projects/openmw/issues?per_page=100&set_filter=1&tracker_id=1
>Over 300 bugs
>Soon
>>
>>375917759
Pretty sure it can be reactivated by the ring that is placed on top of the barrel in which Fargoth's ring is. It said so in the mod description if I remember correctly.
>>
>>375917759
>Level 5 alchemy
You're meant to eat ingredients until you git gud enough to realistically make a potion
>>
>>375921313
all NPCS:
>eat food if you run low on fatigue
run low on fatigue, eat food:
>bread has no effect
>bread has no effect
>bread has no effect
>large kwama egg has no effect
>hound meat has no effect
>crab meat has no effect
>bread has no effect
>bread has no effect

Why do I have to get PhD in chemistry just to eat
>>
>>375921313
More like just spend some money and have it trained to 15 or 20
>>
>>375921534
Latest Morrowind Code Patch allows you to always have an effect from eating ingredients.
>>
>>375921774
I'm using it and in the 10 minutes I tried eating stuff all I got was the same "no effect" thing. Is it a non-default option that you have to activate?
>>
>>375921963
Yes it is.
>>
the best early game build is this:

>high elf
>atronach sign
>tag all the skills that get boosted from racial bonuses
>get the ring that permaboosts intel and willpower by 10

you now have a wizard with infinite feul for spells that never fail that is all but immune to magic, within the first 30 minutes

feel free to play morrowind like a never ending round of quake with a rapid fire rocket launcher that never runs out of ammo
>>
>>375922107
The Atronach sign is actually really broken, in the late game the only things that do any real damage to you are spells so its innate spell absorb is the best defensive effect from any of the birthsigns.

Couple with some constant effect restore health enchants and you become nigh invulnerable.
>>
>>375922107
I think Bloodmoon and Tribunal have some artifacts that multiple your magicka even further. Like some weird robes that also make you weak to sunlight. Playing a wizard is the best playstyle. Even if I start out as a thief or a warrior, I always end up being a wizard.
>>
>>375922576

magic was so broken in morrowind but so good

once you get the right combo of spells and items its like playing with cheat codes, its like how in skyrim the stealth archer build ends up being the best, the game mechanics flow towards you building that way no matter what and it ends up outclassing all the others

https://youtu.be/vhbuSzZbWL4

https://youtu.be/sRTUReLBWHA

the spellmaking and alchemy system had a few exploits that let you stretch the game far beyond its intended limits, and the alchemy exploits to make super potions have gotten more and more broken each game even though magic got gimped into being glorified versions of plasmids from bioshock

like seriously, play a wizard in morrowind, its the weirdest and most rewarding way to play any game ever
>>
>>375914354
who told you it's the best game ever?
also if you're hitting with that shitty accuracy you have probably,for some reason, made a character who has the worst chance of hitting using the weapon you are. it's almost impossible to make a character that badly.
congrats anon for intentionally making your character shit
>>
>>375914354
>be a loser
>lose
k
>>
If it doesn't feel terrible to play it's not a true RPG
>>
I literally never had any problems with Morrowind's combat, how can you people suck so bad at it unless you absolutely ignore attribute and skill desciptions?
>>
>>375914763
It was perfectly fine and handled much better than the next two installments. All 3 games have ways to make fights last a certain amount of time, and to balance things. Oblivion and Skyrim opt for just inflating enemy health and armor to insane values (making fights last longer), and making player skills and better weapons increase damage (making fights shorter). Morrowind does the same thing but through hit chance AND weapon damage. The only real difference here is that weapons don't magically get stronger based on weapon skill, the only variable effecting damage is strength, so no basic bitch enemy is going to smack you for a bajillion damage with his shitty iron weapon, and that basic bitch enemy isn't going to be carrying glass or ebony weapons by end game to make fights balanced. Morrowind has the best open world because it's actually a game world and not just a game, Skyrim's and Oblivion's retarded scaling methods don't plague Morrowind. Morrowind only goes to shit on combat in the DLC, not that the average person complaining about the combat is even capable of making it that far.

>>375926842
How many of these people do you think even read the little 30 page manual?
>>
Somebody post that fucking roulette image I swear to god
>>
>>375927270
But you don't even have to read the manual to play Morrowind. All information is readily available and intuitively accessed in the game itself, unless you turn off tooltips for some retarded reason I suppose.
Now Daggerfall pretty much required some light reading beforehand because they didn't have spell and (dis)advantages descriptions in the game (as an indirect form of copy protection, I assume).
>>
>new laptop won't boot morrowind
>days of searching for a fix

I just wanted to get lost in Vvardenfell again.
>>
>>375928563
Won't boot how, just crashes silently on startup or something?
Try it with OpenMW.
https://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1808#p18839
>>
>>375928665
I get past the launcher, then the game comes up with a black screen and the top will say (not responding) after a few seconds, and it just hangs like that.
>>
>>375928897
Try disabling Steam overlay or enabling compatibility mode on Morrowind.exe.
>>
>>375929032
I've done every variation of that, up to and including compatibility mode on the GOG version of Morrowind.
>>
>>375914763
I love this game, but I agree with you on this. Dice rolls work well in DnD because the combat is turn based and every attack is very important. Morrowind is not turn based, and many hits are important to kill most enemies. I like that they experimented, but this dice roll system was a mistake (just like /a/)
>>
best factions to join for an imperial leaning thief?
>>
>>375914354
>Warrior
>shortsword
Mate that's a misc skill for your class, grab a longsword first or one of the weapon skills in your minor skiills.
>>
>>375930237
Thieves
Fighters
Mages
Imperial Cult (maybe)
Hlaalu
>>
im installing some of the gameplay changed from morrowind code patch for the first time. is this one unfair do you think? i want as close to the vanilla experience as i can

>Allows the player to see all of the effects on standard potions instead of hiding some effects depending on alchemy skill. Player-made potions still show effects based on alchemy skill, as do potions that are flagged 'Blocked' in the Construction Set.
>>
>>375914763
It works great, but it's visually confusing at first.
>>
File: jhc.png (858KB, 734x804px)
jhc.png
858KB, 734x804px
>>375930686
Eh, hardly a game changer because you could look them up on wiki anyway.
>>
>>375929118
You liked Dice Rolls and live combat when I did it though, babe.
>>
>>375930686
Makes sense alcohol effects would be common knowledge in a world like that.
They mostly just up combat and lower spellcasting stats anyway.
>>
>>375927270
>Morrowind only goes to shit on combat in the DLC

How so?
>>
>>375931502
There's level scaling on some monsters, most notoriously that one lich I don't remember name of. She can become virtually unbeatable if your level is high enough when you try doing expansions.
>>
>>375914354
>And these fucking rats just keep murdering me.

This sermon is untrue.
>>
File: 1444539312657.png (376KB, 385x483px)
1444539312657.png
376KB, 385x483px
>>375931763
That one that's somewhere under Mournhold? Yeah, I was playing with difficulty maxed and hit a wall when I got to her the first time. I think I ended up looking up artifacts on the wiki, and going back to the mainland for that 100% fire resist armor, which helped a bit.

Also the werewolves towards the end of the Bloodmoon are beastly at maxed difficulty.
>>
Playing this when you know how to exploit it is so fun
>speak to the guy in Wolverine Hall Mages Guild whose inventory restocks immediately and doubles up if you sell his stuff back to him
>do this so I can buy 1500 Kwarma eggs and hound meat
>travel to the mudcrab
>mark
>Divine Intervention
>walk upstairs to the Mages Guild
Purchase everything from the Altmer that I've duplicated
>recall
>max out alchemy in an hour
>sell potions to the mudcrab
>stupid rich
>race my character up to insane levels
>farm dremoras at Daedric shrines for their Daedric weapons
>do Azura's quest ASAP
>summon Golden Saint
>soul trap
>kill it
>rush to Galdebir and get my Daedric weapon enchanted with soul trap and absorb health as high as possible
>use two exquisite rings for a full set of weightless bound armor and a longsword and bow
>enchant pendant to restore stats and cure diseases
>wander around never fearing anything
>always have infinite restore fatigue potions that last for 3 minutes as well because of alchemy

ezmode. I want to do the punching the Heart of Lorkhan and crashing the game pasta this time
>>
>>375914354
try playing a better Elder Scrolls game.
>>
>>375924085
>tfw levitating everywhere
Fucking great fun, also helps minimise the lack of instant fast travel. I've actually found the amount of transport and manoeuvrability options in Morrowind to probably be the best balance in any open world game. I do wish you could Mark multiple places though

>>375932452
>>375931763
There's also that one guy you can aggro that's basically invincible regardless of your level right? I haven't actually played the DLCs, but I'm playing through the main quest now so it'll be done soon.
>>
>>375914354
>>
>>375921313
Nigguh if you throw bleach into a tub full of ammonia, you're going to get chlorine gas, chemistry doesn't care if you have a PhD or not.
>>
>>375931053
First of all, not everyone's played that game. Second of all, it doesn't have a huge autistic audience who's constantly trying to defend their game like it was made by fucking god himself. Literally no one cares about that game, or they do but they're cool if people have criticisms about it.
>>
>>375935806
>Second of all, it doesn't have a huge autistic audience who's constantly trying to defend their game like it was made by fucking god himself
Yes it fucking does. You had people bitching nonstop when respecs came out.
>>
>>375914591
Yes. Stirk is very comfy.
>>
File: 1487271424946.jpg (158KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1487271424946.jpg
158KB, 1440x900px
>>
>>375916028
>1.0
What for? if you'd be waiting for 1.1 or 1.2 with more added features, I'd understand it, but why 1.0?
It's already perfectly playable and superior to the original engine.
Okay, apart from the missing shadows.
>>
>>375938985
this desu

Only reason I don't play is because of lacking Distant Land, which is coming with the new version.
>>
Somebody make a character for me
>>
>>375933086
>games only fun if you exploit it to avoid the fucking awful gameplay
shocking
>>
>>375914479
FUCKING
AGILITY

Fuck everything else. Weapon skill is good, stamina is good, but what you really need is Agility. Agility will fucking carry you against physical enemies. Level 1-5, your Agility needs to go up, really fast. Build character around agility, get +10 agility for chosen stat, and build up your combat stats.

After level 5, don't go ANYWHERE without stamina potions. There, I solved Morrowind for you. Stamina potions, you can make yourself at any mage's guild. Just make like 100 of them, keep the best 25, and sell the other 75 for a profit. Repeat until Dagoth Ur is dead.
>>
>>375939534
You and me both my dude

>>375927458
Please, I'm burned out on character creation and only the roll gods can help me now
>>
>>375938985
>>375939313
Still is going to have shit combat.
>>
>>375939534
Breton Witch Hunter with the Steed sign
>>
>>375939812
Morrowind's combat is good. Go back to Skyrim.
>>
>>375939853
Morrowind's combat is shit. Go back to pen and paper DND.
>>
>>375933086
Why not just use console commands and directly cheat at that point? I don't understand the point of such exploits.
>>
>>375939646
After the third or fourth time, yeah. It's also quite good as a 2spoopy adventure for the first few playthroughs, because dungeons don't scale, so some will fuck your shit up and it makes exploring tense. After a while, you figure out what to expect from each type of dungeon though, and then you can start breaking the game.
>>
>>375940212
I hate pen and paper DND. It's more fun in vidya form.
>>
>>375914763
/thread

game was and still is completely garbage
>>
>>375914763
it has nothing to do with nostalgia. the combat simply worked.
autists always just cry about it because a missing miss animation is a big deal for them
>>
File: 1493099020315.jpg (427KB, 1280x670px)
1493099020315.jpg
427KB, 1280x670px
>>375941419
>Someone gives some criticism
>Faggots respond with either "nuh-uh", "shut up", or pull contrived excuses out of their asses
>T-There's no rose tinted nostalgia vision h-here
>>
>>375941879
It's not. We're all Skyrim babies who went back and liked the old game more.
>>
>>375917267
That's kind of the problem. Vanilla Morrowind's a game where you start off poor and exploration is rewarded. Tribunal removed a lot of that early game progression by dumping it on your lap.

In fact, it's even worse if you DO use light armor since you immediately get the best set before the endgame Glass, meaning you'll very rarely be excited to find any armor lying around.

The final nail in the coffin is that the attacks don't stop until you report them to Ebonheart, which new players might not find right away while their wealth continues to pile up almost every time they sleep.

Bethesda realized how silly the whole thing was and made it so it only triggers after several levelups on the Xbox port. They never patched that fix into the PC version, so this is one of those situations where using a mod to delay it is actually closer to how the game was intended to be played than using no mod at all.

>>375917759
Older versions of the mod had that problem where it could fail to trigger at all. The newest version works perfectly.
>>
>>375939853
Let's not get carried away here. Morrowind definitely has the least bad combat in the series, but it's a major stretch to call it 'good'. It's still the same noninteractive stand-there-clicking-enemies that defines the experience; it's just very slightly deeper under the hood and has more variables to play around with to customize through gameplay.
>>
>>375943273
This. Played Skyrim back when I was 12. Now I'm 18 and enjoy Morrowind much more.
>>
File: 1487919495246.png (98KB, 590x1030px)
1487919495246.png
98KB, 590x1030px
>>375944214
>skyrim was 6 years ago
>>
>>375914354
>pick warrior class, get some low level armor and an iron shortsword
Unfortunately you chose the worst possible weapon for your class. Warriors have no skill in short blades. Pick literally any other melee weapon and you'll have no trouble against anything.
>>
File: 1493384712131.jpg (16KB, 500x322px)
1493384712131.jpg
16KB, 500x322px
>>375945228
>Warrior
>A person trained to fight
>No skill on a fucking short blade, the most common weapon
WOOOOOW HOW IMMERSIVE
>>
>>375945694
>call yourself a warrior
>be a neet
>WOOOOW BUGGED IRL MECHANICS
This is how you sound
>>
>>375945694
Short blades in Morrowind are mostly knives and daggers, even the ones called "short swords". Warriors are trained in long blades, axes, maces, spears, ranged weaponry, and they have the combat specialization which gives a further bonus to every weapon skill except marksman and short blades, both of which fall under the stealth category.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.