[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/v/, what are some games that feel good to the mind? A game you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: latest[2].jpg (277KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
277KB, 1024x768px
/v/, what are some games that feel good to the mind? A game you can play and really delve into mentally that gives you an opportunity to experience interesting things and create something with depth, augmenting one's imagination with the power of computer graphics, filled with systems and details that are satisfying to learn and manipulate.

I can't find anything that hits the spot. Either it's too simple/shallow, or a lot of the mechanics are tedious, or it's ugly as shit and I'd rather just "play" the game in my imagination without simplistic pixelated graphics or shit like mindless grinding. There are games with big worlds but the worlds are boring and copypasted or empty. There are games with complicated systems all interacting, but there's little to interact or do with them outside of text and buttons.

/v/, what's a game that I can dive into and drown in?
>>
Half-Life 1.
>>
Mass Effect: Andromeda
>>
Bioshock Infinite
>>
>>375878850
>>375879107

I'm looking for something modern but something akin to Final Fantasy 9. 10 was a little too linear for what I want even though I enjoyed it, FF9 felt like it had a big world to explore and so much detail and flavor, and the gameplay was varied and the characters were enjoyable and it was just a great game, a great experience to be in. Same goes for FF7 and FF8, all providing a large world and lots of things to do and see, all providing a fantastic audio-visual experience made possible with growing tech.

So what's with today's tech? Or the last 5-10 years. Is there anything that has big worlds and varied gameplay and lots of things to see and do? Is FF15 anything like that?

What other games/series can offer these sorts of things and actually do all of them so well? I want to immerse myself, not just be entertained.
>>
>>375879107
>Crack-Life
There I fixed it, now you won't make that mistake again.
>>
>>375879568
Mass Effect
Morrowind
Bioshock

I mean, becoming immersed is pretty subjective.
>>
>>375879568
Dragon Quest 8.
>>
>>375879839
Yeah, subjective indeed but I haven't found a good list yet to just look through myself.

Bioshock is a bit limited and linear, it builds a sort of world with its story but the actual experience is very limited, albeit high-quality. I played ME1 and 2, but they felt more like a fun ride with disconnected sections to enjoy once. Morrowind I may have to revisit but I kind of hate all gamebryo games because they come off stiff and lifeless to me in a lot of ways, particularly post-Morrowind.

What I really liked about FF9 was that it had so much character and charm in every facet while at the same time presenting everything as one giant connected piece that at first I stumble through linearly but over time learn to exist in and find my way. Eventually with things like the airship, I can just go around anywhere I like. Each city was large with many sections and many characters and many quests and details, and the world was filled with cities and locations and details and gameplay elements. It's not the quintessential game for what I'm looking for, but it hits a lot of those checkmarks that not many games seem to be able to in my mind.

Maybe I'm just nuts, but can you see what I'm yearning for?
>>
>>375878850
try reading a book fuckface
>>
>>375878850
Anything that you played as a child / teenager and nothing you'll play now as an adult.

The magic of video games wasn't in the games themselves, Anon, they were in you. "Were" being the key word because once you hit adulthood, you get to have responsibilities, knowledge, and mental fortitude instead.
>>
File: Asylum_Sky.png (287KB, 778x477px) Image search: [Google]
Asylum_Sky.png
287KB, 778x477px
>>375878850
I'm sure there's some nostalgia involved, but I felt that way with old explorative platformers like Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil.

The kind that blended adventure game ideas and that sense of wonder with exploring areas and characters of a weird new world. And a good soundtrack doesn't hurt.
>>
>>375880825
Any recommendations?
>>
>>375878850
>>375879568
Come to mind:

Torment: Tides of Numenera
Risen 2, pre-patch if possible, and yeah it may seem like an odd suggestion but it fits "gives you an opportunity to experience interesting things", "filled with systems and details that are satisfying to learn and manipulate"

I can't think of anything that fits all your criteria though.
>>
>>375881517
Please recommend this man some books I also want something to read. Also try
>>
>>375880726
Hm, haven't played FF9 myself, so I can't say for sure, but from your description I remembered two games that might fit well enough:
Tales of Symphonia
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Keep in mind I only watched my sisters play those, so don't take my word for it, but they looked charming.
>>
>>375881042

I disagree my man. My expectations have grown with my perspective and mental ability yes, but my imagination has grown too. And if I'd never played FF9 for example, I could play it right now and love it and disappear into it for a while. But I can't because I've already played it and while it's enjoyable to be in this world, there's nothing surprising or new with it.

It seems more like what I want is tough these days, maybe too much investment not enough return, maybe no one really cares that much for this sort of experience.

I played Dark Souls for the first time a little while ago and that was pretty interesting. A big connected world to explore and all that. Not exactly teeming with detail and life as much as a final fantasy game, but that magic is there to an extent.

>>375881431

I've been intending to play BGE, you're saying it has a connected world instead of sequences of scenarios? I liked Psychonauts a lot, it's like a scaled down version of what I'd want right now with less depth/detail but plenty of character and variety to the camp and the dream worlds. It's just more of a level-to-level with one hub kind of game rather than a big world ready to be dug.

>>375882313
>>375883207

I'll look into these suggestions my bros.
>>
>>375878850
Portal.
Stardew Valley.
The Longest Journey.
Legend of Grimrock.
Beyond Good & Evil.
Mirror's Edge.
>>
>>375882327
>>375881517
Bright Lights Big City
>>
Suikoden II.
Easily my favorite RPG on the original Playstation.
I have not played Suikoden I, nor have I played any other Suikoden game.
Despite that, this was an amazing thirty hour experience and I recommend it to anyone looking to get lost in a totally foreign world filled to the brim with characters.
The combat is fast and on point, there's a lot to do regarding building a castle and an army, and the game is charming as it gets.
>>
File: Beyond Good and Evil poster.jpg (440KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Beyond Good and Evil poster.jpg
440KB, 1024x768px
>>375884031
>you're saying it has a connected world instead of sequences of scenarios?
There are certain areas specific to missions if I recall, but there's still a main hub connecting them.

The world's not huge, but wandering around looking for alien wildlife still resonated with me.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.