[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /v/ think ecelebs help sell games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: compressed-prvf.jpg (311KB, 1402x3378px) Image search: [Google]
compressed-prvf.jpg
311KB, 1402x3378px
Why does /v/ think ecelebs help sell games?
>>
Probably because every single viewer is below the age of 12 and can't handle horror games without their youtube "friends" playing it for them.
>>
>>375871319
Referring to the image, I mean.
>>
Because in theory it should be free advertising.
>>
>>375871107
E-celebs help sell games where playing is more fun than watching. Indie horror games, walking simulators and story-driven games don't fall under this category. In other words, games that look fun to play can benefit from e-celeb shilling. Games that are only "fun" to watch because your favorite e-celeb is mugging in front of the camera, aren't going to sell regardless because they don't look interesting.
>>
File: fgsfds.jpg (46KB, 335x352px) Image search: [Google]
fgsfds.jpg
46KB, 335x352px
>>375871107
It depends on the audience the youtuber has. Most of the ones in that image have a base of mostly younger viewers who can't afford to buy their own games. They're also super mainstream, meaning they have a wider margin of non-gamers (believe it or not, there are legions of people who literally never play games, but watch them all the time).
If your game was shown off by, say, Dunkey or Game Grumps, you'd have much more success, even though they have fewer subscribers.
>>
>>375871107
It helps sell SOME games.

Horror games or one time experiences such as Dear Esther, Gone Home etc? Obviously not since once you see the streamer you won't play it yourself.

Open world, action, multiplayer games? Shit like BATTLEGROUNDS, COD, BOTW, Horizon? FUCKTONS
>>
>>375871107
Are you just gonna ignore shit like FNAF.

I also find it hard to believe that dunkey didn't sell a shit ton of people on undertale
>>
>>375872170
>(believe it or not, there are legions of people who literally never play games, but watch them all the time).
Yes but they overlap a crap ton with the younger audience,
>>
>>375872170
I think the more autistic the Youtuber, the more likely the fanbase actually buys games.
>>
>>375872535
Not by a whole lot. I know lots of people in their early 20's who don't play games but watch a lot of let's players.
>>
>>375872645
>My personal experience and anecdotal evidence means most people do this

wow. Literally all of my normie friends know about Ace Attorney. Does that mean all normies know it and it's mainstream?
>>
>caring about ecelebs
From these, I know only Pewdiepie and still don't watch his shit content.
>>
>>375871625
Theory doesn't always translate to execution, especially when it comes to these streamers. People watch these streamers because they don't want to play video games. Why would they buy the game in the first place anyway? All they're interested in seeing is their favorite faggot yelling into a mic. That's why it's pointless to let streamers make millions of dollars off your game.
>>
>>375872756
Alright, chill. Look even if they overlapped 100%, it's still a shitload of people not buying the games.
>>
Because they do. Obviously it wont be consistent because theres too many variables involved but theres more than enough evidence and direct statements from devs to support the idea.
>>
>>375872408
this.

You're a tard, OP
>>
>>375873074
>And direct statement from devs
Citation(s). Also, listing minecraft is not the rule, but the exception.
>>
>>375871107
Like the others said, it does help.
That game wouldn't have even sold that much if not for the shilling.

On top of that, silly screaming horror games are much more one and done, so they don't benefit as much as something that has more variability would.
>>
>>375873279
Binding of Isaac sold like shit when it was first released, it only picked up because of Youtubers like NorthernLion. Without them it would've never gotten the surge in sales that led to Wrath of the Lamb and ultimately Rebirth.
>>
Maybe don't make shitty gimmick screamer games
>>
>>375871107
>yotube exposure doesn't work because these 2 titles failed making my argument 100% accurate and fool proof fact.
>>
>>375873510
>Isaac
This is the first thing that pops up if you google isaac sales, an engadget article.
>"In the first year we sold a million copies, and now we're already up to two million," McMillen said. He also discussed the Nicalis "demake" of the game, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and the definite inclusion of the Mystery Man unlockable character.Apr 21, 2013
>>
>>375873279
dingaling after dunkey played lisa
>>
>>375871107
Is this image a joke or did whoever created it actually think it makes a non-retarded argument?
>>
>>375873279
also no direct statment from devs but ive witnessed the sales of volgarr the viking skyrocket personally after pewdiepie did a video on it
>>
>>375873670
Right, it picked up like crazy after the first couple of months, but immediately after release, which is usually when a game sells the most copies, it was selling like 200 copies a day. It grew exponentially after Youtubers picked it up.
>>
>>375871107
OH LOOK IT'S THIS THREAD AGAIN
>game not shilled by ecelebs has more youtube vids, more people watching it on youtube, and more daily videos.
>>
>>375873735
To me, these are exceptions still and not rules. A lot of games that seem to sell because of ecelebs are merely flavors of the week and were selling regardless. If their shitty let's plays actually helped, we would be seeing sales increases in almost every game they play (of course, not all games will sell), which we definitely do not.
>>
>>375874117
They do just by very inconsistent amounts because again there are far too many variables to consider, and lets players arent professional advertisers who know how to make it more consistent. It will never be consistent but that doesnt mean it has no effect either.
>>
File: sure ya did.png (120KB, 385x249px) Image search: [Google]
sure ya did.png
120KB, 385x249px
>>375871107
This image is full of shit, Sophie's curse is by complete no-names, where as Ember is published by 505 games, who are a known entity.

The result of this is that Ember has had a lot more coverage on various games media outlets, and gets about ~450k results on google where as Sophie's Curse gets about 200k, and had no coverage outside of youtube ecelebs.

Ember was also released in the fall, closer to the holidays when people buy more games, where as sophie's curse was released in march, the (typically) dead peroid.

If anything I'd sooner point to this image for when anyone says that youtube/twitch doesn't help, since Sophie's Curse would have obviously have been a nothing game without it.

You couldn't even cherry pick right, anon.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.