[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Underrail General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: header[1].jpg_t=1450447389.jpg (70KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header[1].jpg_t=1450447389.jpg
70KB, 460x215px
>What is Underail?
A modern day fallout 2 style RPG set in a Metro/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. world.
>Why have I never head of it?
It released right as the same time as Undertail. Everyone just though it was a cheap cash in.
>Is it good.
Yes. The reviews are accurate. It's an incredible open world 2d RPG.

>Underrail is only $6 in the Humble bundle
>You get a bunch of other games with it

You have no excuse /v/.
>>
File: my face when.jpg (84KB, 738x674px) Image search: [Google]
my face when.jpg
84KB, 738x674px
>>375868086
>A modern day fallout 2 style RPG

Except it plays nothing like Fallout 2, has horrible nonsensical European style writing and lacks any actual style

I wish you faggots would quit lying.
>>
>>375868196
>horrible nonsensical European style writing
The fuck does that mean?
>>
>>375868391
Poorly written English
>>
I enjoyed Wasteland 2. Will I enjoy this?
>>
>>375868774
WL2 is a squad based shooter

Underfail is entirely solo character based
>>
It plays like every other low budget eastern european indie game.
>>
>>375868086
I started it up recently. Pretty fun so far just exploring and such, but I need some good build resources.
>>
>>375868196
>>375868506
>Poorly written English
Because the dev is some east europe guy.
The writing was not awful. Not as good as fallout 2 but you show me a 2D RPG released in the last 10 years that had as good writing as fallout 2.

Gameplay wise it's fun AF.
>>
>>375868196
>Except it plays nothing like Fallout 2
Yeah, because the combat is actually good and fairly challenging in Underrail. Not to mention at least a dozen of unique playstyles.

>has horrible nonsensical European style writing
The writing, lore, story and world building are all good and immersive.

You shouldn't expect a random hobo to talk like an educated man and dump pages upon pages of exposition on you. Pillars did that and it was absolutely awful.

>lacks any actual style
You are not making any sense.
>>
>>375869182
>2D RPG
It's isometric.
>>
>>375868086
What is the non combat stuff in it like? Does it really compare to Fallout 2 there?
>>
>>375869180
Go to the Underrail forums, plenty of build advice there.

Or ask in /indie/ general on /vg/.
>>
>>375869361
no it doesn't
while things like the writing and world aren't bad, they don't measure up to fallout 2

combat gameplay is leagues better though
>>
>>375868196
It does play like Fallout, has a very similar combat system but with far more depth and variety.
>>
>>375869361
It's much more focused on combat but it does have a fair share of choices with different meaningful consequences. Multiple ways to finish quests with different outcomes, lots of ending slides Fallout style etc.
>>
>>375869638
What I'm saying is can you play a CHA build, solve things nonviolently, that sort of good Fallout stuff? Or is it just different ways to do combat?
>>
>>375869361
That depends on what you mean by non combat stuff, but the answer is probably no. This is not really a game like Fallout 2, its priorities lie elsewhere. Try to think of this game more as a kind of isometric Deus Ex.
>>
File: underrail.png (2MB, 937x6344px) Image search: [Google]
underrail.png
2MB, 937x6344px
>>375869180
Mega build guide
>>
>>375869747
You can finish some quests without violence, often with different results, but at its core the game is focused on combat. In many cases you will be forced to fight or at least sneak by enemies.
>>
File: Myron angry.png (144KB, 400x220px) Image search: [Google]
Myron angry.png
144KB, 400x220px
>>375869631
>No party members
>More depth and variety

Yeah, sure cuckboi.
>>
>>375869361
>What is the non combat stuff in it like?
Combat is what's fun about underrail.
>>
>>375869747
a CHA build will not work in the slightest, however interestingly enough a build focused around avoiding fights through stealth or even bravely running away will actually work given xp is not based of combat but rather a fairly unique system where it is collected in the form of "oddities" which are all kinds of little objects spread around the world in sometimes obvious, sometimes obscure locations

each enemy has a chance of dropping a specific oddity though so and they're a good source of crafting materials so the combat isn't unrewarding but the game won't arbitrarily fuck you up for choosing not to fight
>>
>>375869825
Really outdated though, made when the game was still in early access. Most of it is still right but take it with a grain of salt
>>
>>375869747
No, diplomacy is not going to get you far. There are speech skills and a fair amount of speech checks, but you can't make a build a build around them. Stealth is usually a perfectly valid alternative to combat especially if combined with speech skills, but it's by no means easy or beginner friendly. A build that combines stealth and combat on the other hand is not a bad place to start if you want to avoid some encounters.
>>
>>375869974
> fallout party members
>depth
Sure is deep to have the game play itself and Marcus shooting you in the back. Don't kid yourself.
>>
File: 14419755644262.jpg (85KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
14419755644262.jpg
85KB, 500x334px
This may sound odd but it felt to me like the game went on too long.
I had a lot of fun playing Underrail but i somehow lost all will to keep playing after hitting Core City, and i think i was hardly halfway through the game.
And i'm usually not some underage faggot that can't keep attention, me not finishing a game is a traumatic event for me.
>>
>>375869974
>party members
>depth and variety

>Marcus hits a rat for 5768 damage
>Sulik hits you for 134 damage
>Sulik is stuck on a doorway... again
>>
>>375870140
>>375870090
do be aware that on a few selection occasion you will be required to defeat a difficult enemy
about halfway throughout the game you are forced into arena style combat, and while you're not required to fight all enemies, the last few can be a bit of a pain if you're not used to combat

and the game does feature a final boss you CANNOT talk your way out of (though there are fallout 2 style sabotage options)
>>
>>375870340
>Marcus hits a rat for 5768 damage
I think you mean
>Marcus hits rat, scorpion 1, innocent bystander, scorpion 2 and Cassidy for 5768 damage
>>
>>375870265
Expansion will be coming out soon ( by that I mean hopefully this year). Shotguns, spears, machetes, time manipulation, jet skis and more.

Perfect reason to pick it up again.
>>
>>375870515
I hope the expansion content will have a difficulty option to make it interesting for endgame characters to go through it

underrail isn't nearly as fun if you don't have to think about the various encounters
>>
>>375870358
>(though there are fallout 2 style sabotage options)
You make it sound like you can skip the fight. That's not the case. You can only make in significantly easier, buy you still have to fight.
>>
>>375870730
That's exactly how it is in Fallout 2, though.
>>
>>375870730
yeh and you have to fight the final boss as well in fallout 2 so I think the comparison was apt
its not like turning on the turrets auto kills him
>>
>>375870656
It's supposed to be a midgame expansion so I doubt it. Maybe the difficulty of the base game will be higher to make up for the higher level cap.

That said, Styg did n interview qith a polish gaming site and said he wants to introduce more enviroment option during combat like gas tanks etc.
>>
>>375870656
Styg already confirmed that there won't be any scaling. You can play it with an end game character if you want, but that's not what the expansion was meant for. Some of its new features, like time magic,, you wouldn't even be able to take advantage of, since if you've hit the level cap already you can't increase your skills anymore.

Just start a new game, it's better that way. So you don't miss out on interactions with new characters added with the expansion and stuff.
>>
>>375870984
shame, I know its supposed to be midgame but it would be fun if there was an option to at least elevate all the enemies in the DLC to max level
then again I guess its a one man project

oh well guess I'm gonna do another playthrough
>>
>people still think smelly eastern euros don't use 4chan like its their internet club
>>
>>375869974
It doesn't have party members but it gives a fuck ton more approaches to combat, way more skills, traps, etc. and the level design is a whole lot better at accommodating those. I love FO but the combat is really mindless, party members you can't control don't change that.
>>
>>375871191
What would that even mean? There is no level scaling in Underrail, non-human enemies are always the same, no matter when you encounter them. I suppose humans could be made higher level, but only them.
>>
>>375871191
>then again I guess its a one man project
It's not a one man project. It stopped being one after 4 years of development when Styg hired more people and finished the game after another 3 years.

He also hired a new guy recently who is working on animations and sprites in the expansion and re-working some of them in the base game. It's at least a 4 man team now, possibly more.

That said it really has nothing to do with the size of the team. It' just supposed to be a midgame expansion and Underrail doesn't have scaling.y
>>
>>375868086
>It released right as the same time as Undertail
It released after Undertale but was in development way before Undertale was even an idea, it took 7 years to make.
>>
File: 1452033809035.png (841KB, 1278x721px) Image search: [Google]
1452033809035.png
841KB, 1278x721px
>>375869974
>No party members
>More depth and variety
I know why you think that.
But it really does.

Tons of different grenade/traps/mines for different types of area denial, all the guns have unique mechanics (a pistol is not the same as a SMG), + the game has magic.

It's incredibly fun to toss out a gas nade, force wall you're self against a wall for safety and watch everyone choke to death. You did not have stuff like that in fallout2.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.