[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do casuals (PC gamers) hate limited saves?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: ink ribbon re3.png (21KB, 350x240px) Image search: [Google]
ink ribbon re3.png
21KB, 350x240px
Why do casuals (PC gamers) hate limited saves?
>>
It was such a well loved mechanic by everyone else it became an industry standard. Oh wait it didn't.
>>
>>375867581
Because casuals hated it
>>
Because people don't like dealing with scarcity.
>>
Are you implying resident evil is difficult or hardcore in any way?
>>
Artificial difficulty.
>>
File: 2000% mad.png (287KB, 520x694px) Image search: [Google]
2000% mad.png
287KB, 520x694px
>have to go to work in the next 10 minutes
>no save points for another 30-60 minutes

That's why
>>
>>375866985
It all depends how antisocial and neglected you were.
If you could dedicate an entire day to a game limited saves were amazing. They added a sense of urgency and excitement. If you needed to drop the game to hang out with people. Fuck.
>>
>>375866985
Bad experiences with their parents.

>Anon, go to bed!

>I can't I'm fighting Boost Guardian!
>>
>>375866985
Because of paranoia of game crashes or game breaking bugs that PC Gamers dealt with in regards to Elder Scrolls and nuFallout. Sadly, Bethesda caught on to this and now this trend is practically everywhere.
>>
Because fuck you, that's why. Any modern game should allow you to save anywhere. Save points are outdated shit and you know it.
>>
>>375866985
Because there is other shit in life besides video games. If I make progress I shouldn't have to have a debate whether it is just enough progress to warrant using one of only a few possible saves or if it would be better to lose the progress and just replay through it at a later time.
>>
Please outline the details of why you enjoy limited saves
>>
>>375868386
This.

PC games were generally more complex and non-linear which introduced all kinds of opportunities for game breaking bugs to appear.
Playing an old RPG without saving frequently and having backup saves in case a game-breaking bug occurred was pretty much an impossibility.
>>
>>375867983
not scarcity in general. scarcity can work just fine, look at last of us, and that was bizarrely artificial scarcity since you're only allowed to carry like 10 bullets or w/e some fo the time.

scarcity in # of saves is just an inconvenience with no real purpose. if someone wants to play their game in 15 minute chunks instead of 2 hours chunks that shouldn't affect gameplay.

if you want an e-peen "i beat it without saving" or "i beat it only saving # of times" that can easily be incorporated into achievements or a ranking system without interfering with people who just want to be able to turn the game on and off as they like.
>>
File: 1437214494011.jpg (126KB, 720x548px) Image search: [Google]
1437214494011.jpg
126KB, 720x548px
>>375866985
Depends completely on the game design. Where it adds weight in Resident Evil just adds frustration in another game.

Also don't forget Capcom has always been fucked when it comes to saving.
>>
>>375866985
>(pc gamers)
The fuck does that mean. How many console games have ironman modes? Is dis guy talking about savestates or something?
>>
Because it's artificial difficulty when a game expects me to know when it's a good time to save when I haven't gone through it before. It's something they should implement in a hard mode not the default.
>>
>>375866985
funny how it's the CONSOLE games that have enforced checkpoints and shit in modern times.

>>375868642
>scarcity in # of saves is just an inconvenience with no real purpose. if someone wants to play their game in 15 minute chunks instead of 2 hours chunks that shouldn't affect gameplay.
Bullshit.
At least in 1990s, people had the right attitude: Can't deal with it? Don't play it! No bullshit, no attempt to appeal to "wider audience", just the TARGET audience. In this case, people ready to challenge themselves and NOT play 15 minutes.

>muh trophy whore tendencies!
please kill yourself.
>>
>>375868252
>work
gay
>>
>>375866985
>People complained about the amount of saves in Resident Evil games.
If you couldn't beat that shit in less then 10 saves you should NOT play.
>Every room gives you 1 to 3 ribbons.
I can play RE2 and RE3 with just one save and beat it in one sitting too, even did it when I first got it.
>Clear time, 1 hour 25 minutes.
Ill take it!

>Oh look, this room is giving me a shit ton of ammo.
>I bet a boss is next.
>OH LOOK A BOSS!
>I didnt even get a chance to use my magnum, maybe next time.
>Final boss, still got magnum rounds left.
>>
>>375866985
Check points were made to artificially increase gametime
>>
>>375868252
>>375868642
You know how you're just baits who've never played a classic RE game?

You think it takes more than 5 minutes to find a save room, at any given point. Or that you'd not have enough saves left at any real point.
>>
>>375869289
>no attempt to appeal to "wider audience", just the TARGET audience.
except people like money.

again, there's no reason for it. in this instance you can have it both ways. if you want to feel good about yourself for being a real hardcore gamer, then just add a ranking system or achievement that's (partially) based on how infrequently you save.
>>
>>375869581

>>375868252 here
I was speaking more for the JRPGs of the time. Also Tomb Raider as well.
>>
>>375869676
>playing JRPGs
>playing 15 minutes at once
pick one.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.