[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RE4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: ecarr-re4-900x506.jpg (95KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
ecarr-re4-900x506.jpg
95KB, 900x506px
I'm starting this /classic/ for the first time today. I've always been more of a Silent Hill fan than a Resident Evil fan but it felt wrong that I've never played it.

Any tips for a first playthrough? What weapons I should use?
>>
Sell the Punisher when you get it, you can get the broken butterfly for free if you do a bit of backtracking, the game has a dynamic difficulty so if you don't want it too hard dont do too well,
>>
>tell me about a horror game before the first time I play it
how about go fuck yourself, game is best blind
>>
>>375852558
>re4
>horror

Try again.
>>
>>375851917

>I've always been more of a Silent Hill fan than a Resident Evil fan

RE4 isn't scary like Silent Hill, it's an action game game, so don't expect it to be anything like it.

I dunno, I loved the game when it came out, but I didn't like RE5 that much, it was almost like the formula became stale really quickly. I'm not sure if it has aged well. Maybe somebody who played it for the first time in modern times can offer an opinion. I hope you enjoy it.

You don't need any tips for the first playthrough, the game is not that difficult.
>>
My perception of RE4 would have been ruined by people telling me nonstop it wasn't a horror game my first playthrough. It was sure tense for me. It's not like SH is really any scarier than RE anyway, as someone who's beaten every single SH game. Neither of them are scary at all. It's your own anticipations that are scary. Which is why I think OP shouldn't be making this thread and people shouldn't be dispeling his anticipations
>>
>>375851917
There is literally no wrong way to play and all the weapons are viable.

Enjoy anon its a blast.
>>
>>375852173
Explain the dynamic difficulty part?
>>
If you're trying to save ammo, shoot low and knife/melee the staggered enemy.
>>
>>375853997
basically if you die a few times in a row fewer enemies will spawn
>>
>>375854042
This, get used to using the knife. It's the best weapon in the game
>>
>>375853997
If you suck it'll go easy on you. If you play well and go fast, it actually gets a little harder.
>>
>>375852993
Yeah, I know it's an action game and maybe that's why I've always like SH more but I played RE5 and it was fine, a little too campy, I know this is campy too but in a wonderful Roger Corman way and I love the setting so this actual is atmospheric which is some RE5 wasn't.
>>
>>375851917
Keep the first shotgun and upgrade it to max
>>
File: 1493673853346.jpg (23KB, 719x714px) Image search: [Google]
1493673853346.jpg
23KB, 719x714px
>>375854042
>>375854668
Yeah, I've been burning through ammo and taking hits. I'm chalking that up to learn the mechanics/timing for now, hopefully I don't actually suck.
>>
>>375855386
Shoot the knees then the head or run up and slice them when they're on the ground. Don't let them gang up on you, don't be afraid to retreat to a safe distance

Also everyone does shit in that village their first time
>>
>>375853997
The game has a very subtle dynamic difficulty. It keeps track of most things you do with a hidden point system, and adjusts your "rank" up and down to better fit how you're playing. Stuff like missing shots, getting hit, or dying will drop your rank while doing damage, killing enemies, doing QTEs, etc will raise it. There are a ton more little things for each category though.

Most people probably wouldn't notice it, but there are a few places in the game where very annoying enemies disappear/appear based on your rank, and dying is a really big hit so everyone immediately notices when they aren't there on reload. Also playing on the unlocked Pro difficulty locks you to a maxed out rank so the difficulty can never drop.

Beyond that, there's also dynamic ammo/gold drops. When low on ammo, enemies tend to drop it more often, and when high on ammo they tend to drop gold more often. This means if you're playing well, using the right weapons for the right situations and not missing it's nearly impossible to run out of ammo for weapons other than the magnum or mine thrower. However, it's also not a hard-set system. It simply makes chances higher or lower, it doesn't guarantee you don't run out. So making poor decisions absolutely can run people out of ammo too fast for it to compensate.
>>
>>375853962
this, for as much as people argue over which guns are the best, it's largely personal preference and there is literally no bad gun in the entire game

even the punisher and mine thrower are good if you sink some pesetas into them
>>
>>375851917
Gonna start this today too, OP

Downloaded the PC version, is it good or should I download gamecube version and play on dolphin?
>>
>>375855817
I always liked the difficulty on godhand
>>
>>375855817
I've noticed the latter already, aren't there other games have that mechanic? Dynamic ammo/heath/whatever when you're low on one of them.
>>
>>375856097
PC version is better
>>
>>375856097
Gamecube is best or at least most often associated with the game.
>>
>>375853997
Enemies are more aggressive and do more damage, as well as different combinations of enemies spawning at points.
It depends on how much damage you take, how accurate you are, how many times you die, etc.
Also, ammo/money drop frequency depends on what's in your inventory. The more money you carry, the more frequently you get ammo, and vice versa.
In fact the only major difference between normal and professional difficulty is that the enemies are "locked" into their highest setting. They're very fast, very aggressive, and swarm you like a motherfucker.
>>
>>375856239
Yes, but RE4 is highly praised because it was unadvertised and completely undiscovered for a long time after release. It doesn't patronize players who suck by waving it in their faces.
>>
>>375856302
>>375856350
Why?
>>
>>375856239
Ratchet and Clank games have a bolt economy system where it gives you more or less bolts depending on how much you make per area. it makes it so you aren't really required to kill enemies in a area over and over for bolts
>>
>>375856097
I own RE4 on 6 different systems, and I'd recommend the newest PC version. When I played it I had very few complaints, and the advantages far outweighed them. I believe most of them were patched after I played through it, adding in nearly all of the original Gamecube effects and fixing stuff like choosing to run at 60fps causing really minor graphical problems.

That said, I had absolutely zero problems with the game actually working, but some people seem to have issues. I also used a controller, so I can't speak for mouse+k/b controls. Your mileage may vary.
>>
>>375856350
>>375856639
gamecube version is just the first, it's the most incomplete version by far. It has no separate ways, no mercenaries, IDR if it even has assignment ada. The weapon balance is worse too, and the prices are a bit funky. People just like to suck the gamecube version's dick because it started as a nintendo exclusive. Get the steam version.
>>
>>375851917
Upgrade the Red9, the advanced sniper rifle, and the street sweeper shotgun (the one with the dum magazine), that should be enough for your first playthrough
>>
Stick with the starting pistol until you get the Punisher with the free 1.1 damage upgrade. Then stick with that until you get the Red9. Don't buy the stock until the castle, if necessary.

Stick with the Shotgun until you get the Striker. Buy the Riot Gun (don't upgrade) if you want a slight damage boost and tighter pellet spread.

Rifles aren't really necessary until you reach the castle.

TMP will help with the first two Gigante fights but becomes largely obsolete once you get to the castle.
>>
LIKE YOU, I'M AMERICAN
>>
>>375858587
>TMP
>not the best weapon in the entire game by far
smdh tbqf
>>
>>375853997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFv6KAdQ5SE
>>
>>375858027
>>375858119
I downloaded an horrible version of 2007 thinking it was the steam version
Downloading the steam version right now but I don't think I will manage to play RE4 today, the torrent is very slow
>>
>>375859393
2007 version was a mistake.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.