[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How was it that the wii so successful but the wii u flopped?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: wiivswiiu.jpg (45KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
wiivswiiu.jpg
45KB, 1000x500px
How was it that the wii so successful but the wii u flopped?
>>
WiiU was just beta testing for Switch
>>
>>375827183
Wii had good games
>>
>>>375825846

Go away.
>>
>>375827183
Wii had perfect marketing, a killer app launch game (Wii Sports) and an easy-to-use controller.

Wii U had shitty marketing, no real killer apps, and a monstrosity of a controller.

It's not really that hard.
>>
>>375827183
SBH made a video recently that explains a lot.
>>
People thought the Wii U was an accessory for the Wii.
>>
>>375827183
Why do you want to know from us instead of just googling the answers? It's almost as if you work for a company or something
>>
>>375827728
It's not almost as if, it's very clear. I just don't know their motives yet.
>>
>>375827858
elaborate
>>
>>375828120
>>375827809
>>375825846
>>
>>375828397
Why would Nintendo be shilling a dead console?
>>
>>375827183
Shit marketing, everyone thought the Wii U was a controller addon for the Wii and not it's own console

Now look at the Switch where they didn't recycle the old console's name and marketed the fuck out of it on Jimmy Kimmel and the Super Bowl
Shit like Pokemon Go and the NES Classic (with it's artificial shortage to ramp up hype) got normies reacquainted with Nintendo again
>>
>>375827183
Pretty simple really, it's demographics.

The Wii was a gaming system designed to bring in people who traditionally weren't interested in gaming systems.
These people did one of two things
1: Became more interested in gaming and moved on to one of the more core consoles that existed within the same generation from Sony or Microsoft
2. Stayed at about the same interest level and continued to game casually, but on their smart phone.

By the time the Wii U came out, all the fresh blood that Nintendo had brought in with the Wii had moved on to something else.

The Wii U additionally had identity problems that made it tough to market, such as using the Wii brand, but not being the same type of casual friendly device.
>>
>>375828572
>I just don't know their motives yet.
>>
>>375827183
Bad marketing.
It's sounded like an accessory to the Wii
>>
>>375827183

the Wii was a trend, like guitar hero or PS2. you can't keep that sort of sales going forever.
>>
>>375827183
>Naming
The Wii was made in a world without consoles that were named "Wii", it was remarkable and novel to people. The Wii U was released to a world that already had the Wii, and so people were confused about whether or not it was an actual system or just an add-on. I'm sure many of kids asked for a Wii U but their parents reply something like "We already have a Wii"

>Clarity
It was very clear what the Wii did, not so much for the Wii U.

>Piracy
Suprisingly easy to homebrew with the Wii, I'm not sure about the Wii U, but generally a good way to determine any console's success is how easy it is to pirate for it. FDS won out in Japan, PS1 won out, PS2 won, etc etc.
>>
>>375828572
>Why would Nintendo be shilling a dead console?
>Why would Nintendo be shilling
>Why would Nintendo
>Nintendo

Nintendo
>Nintendo
Nintendo
>Nintendo

Understand yet?
>>
>>375828120
from
>>375827106
see
>>375828298
with 0 responses

Based Nintenbros Marcutting
>>
The Wii U was primarily designed as hardware that would appeal to the "hardcore" gamers but those gamers are too "hardcore" to play with "casual" Nintendo toys, they only play on "mature" console for "mature" gamers like the Playstation.
>>
simple. the wii was a fad that had all of its sales frontloaded (due to nongamers buying it to try out the gimmick with wii sports for 1-2 months)

the wii u had fuck all and was revealed AND marketed so poorly, casuals thought it was just an accessory.
>>
>>375829236
>The Wii U was primarily designed as hardware that would appeal to the "hardcore" gamers
No it was not
3D World is most simplified, casualized of all the 3D mario's
>>
File: image.gif (3MB, 222x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3MB, 222x400px
>>375827183
It was like being a 30 year old virgin and getting to finally fuck a girl who happens to be fat and then fuck again but its another fat girl
>>
>>375829005
>I'm sure many of kids asked for a Wii U but their parents reply something like "We already have a Wii"
My dad told me something like that when I asked for a PS2. Few months later he bought me Devil May Cry for my PS1
>>
>>375829737
Sauce or story on gif?
>>
>>375829560

They pumped it full of Nintendo financed "hardcore" titles and went back to the traditional controller being the primary input mechanism. Nintendo flat out said they were trying to regain the core market. It was not a casual machine.
>>
>>375829770
Yep, the idea of advanced models of things seems to be very hard for a lot of older people to understand, and if they half understand it they decry it as "planned obsolescence" which is stupid.

>>375829817
This is all true, but it's good to keep in mind that Nintendo did it very half-heartedly and completely failed to consistently court third party developers past its launch.
>>
>>375829817
>They pumped it full of Nintendo financed "hardcore" titles
such as...?
>It was not a casual machine.
Yes it was
>>
>>375827183
Wii was shit but Wii U was even shittier. Is not rocket science
>>
Wii was a fad till everybody saw through the gimmick. Wii u was uncreatively named thus that mentality stuck.
>>
>>375829812
Kid wants to impress hot piece of ass behind him. Jumps to a painful death.
>>
Because people didn't understand what the fuck the Wii u was. They already had a Wii, why did they need the Wii u.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.