[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Procedural Generation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: snake.gif (609KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
snake.gif
609KB, 299x299px
Do you think it is possible for procedural generation to be done well, or do you think that it is only just a cop-out in terms of effort and creativity and that's all it could ever be?

Do you have specific examples of games you do or don't like that utilize procedural generation, or why you do or don't like procedural generation in games you may or may not enjoy?

Picture unrelated. Or is it?
>>
>>375760704
Procedural generation=shit
/thread
>>
>>375760815
Any and all procedural generation ever?

Or is it possible for you have had your impression of procedural generation coloured unfavourably by a small handful of unimpressive experiences?
>>
>>375760815
for now it is shitty, but in the future it might be good

minecraft is an example of this. boring world with no real features mainly due to lack of development staff. if you got a triple A studio to do something with procedural generation, it could be immense in detail.
>>
>>375761014
>Any and all procedural generation ever?
Yes

@375761081
>for now it is shitty
>for now
Opinion disregarded, not even worthy of a you
>>
>>375761156
Are you sure? Even if it's made such that there are several tiles that have been created with modifiers such that if they're ever connected to a specific other tile, certain features are eliminated and others are added so as to maintain flow and cohesion?
>>
Procedural generation is and always be pure and utter shit that becomes stale in the first 30 seconds of the game.
Hand-made or get out of /v/
>>
>>375761081
Yeah, I agree with this. That being said, I have no clue how long that's gonna be. From the games I've played so far, proc gen just makes the game a mile wide and an inch deep at best, and at the worst it makes everything feel the same.
>>
Depends on what you want to achieve.
I wouldn't mind a proceduraly generated maps in games like Mount & Blade. It could also work if mixed with normal maping.
>>
File: map generation.png (429KB, 1376x568px) Image search: [Google]
map generation.png
429KB, 1376x568px
Virtually every game being made today uses some form of procedural generation. There's a lot of middleground. You could potentially just give a computer program a shitty bmp you made in mspaint and have it convert it into a video game map.
>>
>>375761523
OP here. True randomness is shit tier when it comes to procedural generation, except in very, very niche and specific circumstances.

The best outcome for me is handcrafted pieces, in terms of level design, specifically worked so as to fit together seamlessly. Obviously it's not to say that true randomness doesn't have a place. If it's all handcrafted period, then you're just gonna see a lot of samey shit after a while, so it's good for spacing out the landmark parts, so to speak.

Minecraft has historically suffered from not having enough landmarks in it, period, for example... though they've certainly been fixing that with shit like ice forests, igloos and igloo dungeons, giant skeletons, the dungeons in the End, the fucking haunted house with unique enemies in. That said they still feel too spaced out with worthless junk.

Starbound has some really nice setpieces, but between that EVERYTHING is junk. The number of smaller shit mapped in after initial generation to break up the underground is horrendous and just makes it horribly boring to dig around.

Terraria on the other hand has so many different levels of mapping.
>Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF-_AeRRbmU
Although it's certainly arguable that it doesn't really count as procedural generation, even though it's working off a randomly generated seed, because it doesn't generate AS YOU PLAY except in very specific, rare, and minor circumstances, such as meteors or biome corruption.

Borderlands' procedural generation for weapons has good arguments both for and against it. Some of the weapons created can be pretty fucking wacky, like a sniper scope on a shotgun. Something can be godlike, or something can be dogshit, and some people don't appreciate that RNG. But they do provide handcrafted, stock items you can buy instead of finding so you don't need to rely on that RNG as much.
>>
>>375762409
>Although it's certainly arguable that it doesn't really count as procedural generation
That's not arguable at all. A computer generates it by following a procedure. It is procedurally generated.

A game like Receiver, where every map is composed of hand-made sections, but placed in a random order, is procedurally generated, even though all the assets in the map are technically handmade.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.