[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth playing the older Elder Scrolls for learning the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Arena_Cover.png (2MB, 796x997px)
Arena_Cover.png
2MB, 796x997px
Is it worth playing the older Elder Scrolls for learning the lore? I have lot's of patience and have played lot's of DOS games, System Shock 1 being one of my all time favorite games.

>Elder Scrolls/High fantasy game general I guess
>>
>>375701162
Arena isn't really a great game, but Daggerfall is totally worth playing.
>>
>>375701308
I did play a little bit of Daggerfall and really liked it.
>>
>>375701406
It helps that Arena and Daggerfall are completely free.

I really hope they get a move-on with Daggerfall Unity. The game's good, but it BEGS to be put on a modern engine. Especially now that DaggerXL is likely never going to see the light of day
>>
TES started to really to become its own thing with Daggerfall, though a huge bulk of the lore comes from Morrowind.
>>
>>375701702
How so? Isn't Morrowind just one section of the world? I feel like Daggerfall would have more lore since it's all the regions in one game.
>>
>>375701876
Arena is every region, but it's a single story, not really much in the way of the lore of the world. This was when TES was just being based on the dev team's D&D game.
Daggerfall is 2 regions (mostly the provinces within) but delves into ancient-lore stuff, not a lot but enough to get started. It gets expanded a lot in Morrowind
>>
>>375701876
This has nothing to do with it. It's just that before Morrowind someone locked himself up for a weak, took various drugs + sleep depravation and came up with most of its cosmology.
>>
>>375701162

the game's cover reminds me of times when video gaming was completely uncucked.
>>
>>375701162
>Is it worth playing the older Elder Scrolls for learning the lore?
Not really, at least not Arena, Daggerfal is when it actually got a personality of its own
>>
>>375701162
Daggerfall is too big for its own good.

Also nudity is lore-friendly.
>>
>>375701876
Arena has all the provinces, but almost no lore. It's more of a generic dungeon crawler. Daggerfall added history and politics, but it only covers the parts of Hammerfell and High Rock that make the Iliac Bay. Morrowind only covers one part of aprovince, but added books about other provinces too.

Redguard is the one that made the world what it is now by including the Pocket Guide to the Empire.
>>
>>375701162
Arena is a pretty bad game. For the time and age has only worsened it. It is honestly shocking how much better the sequel is.
>>
>>375701162
>three fighters
>one mage/thief
Great balance.
>>
>>375702156
Regular Mage, this was back when D&D only allowed Magic-Users to have 1 non-staff weapon, which was a Dagger (and only for use when you run out of spells)
>>
File: DOSBox 2013-10-21 22-24-07-25.png (37KB, 960x600px) Image search: [Google]
DOSBox 2013-10-21 22-24-07-25.png
37KB, 960x600px
>>375701162
Arena doesn't really have much lore in it outside of holidays and you can probably read up on all them on the wiki.

Daggerfall is the best place to start.
>>
>>375701162
Any suggestions of good lore rich high fantasy games other than Neverwinter, Everquest, and Dragon Age?
>>
>>375703056
Baldur's Gate (1 and 2. You can play Enhanced, the quality of life improvements go a long way. DON'T PLAY DRAGONSPEAR CASTLE THOUGH)

Planescape: Torment
>>
>>375703056
Some people don't really like it, but perhaps Kingdoms of Amalur.
>>
>>375703180
oh yeah Planescape Torment Enhanced just came out too.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.