[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went so horribly wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 171
Thread images: 21

File: Pokemon-Ruby-sapphire-1.jpg (98KB, 568x320px) Image search: [Google]
Pokemon-Ruby-sapphire-1.jpg
98KB, 568x320px
What went so horribly wrong?
>>
File: 1492044096047.jpg (660KB, 2500x2276px) Image search: [Google]
1492044096047.jpg
660KB, 2500x2276px
>>375690334
Dropping day/night cycle, terrible pokemon distribution (no variety early/mid game and water being just tentacool+wingull even at high level spots).

And emerald making them completely irrelevant.
>>
>>375690334
They were fine in a vaccum, but a disappointing follow-up to gsc.
>>
>>375690334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRrPqgKBS0
>>
>>375690334
>*trumpets play*
>>
Its started the trend of removing good features and for my taste the new character design didnt mix well with the old
>>
>>375690334
water everywhere
>>
How much of the blame do you think should go to the composer, and how much to the GBA's shitty soundchip?
>>
>>375690334
Game was pretty fun back in elementary school and that's all that matters
>>
>>375691798
And the Elite 4 was too easy when there was literally no end game
Hidden bases were cool though
>>
Why do people make fun of the IGN review that complained about too much water, that's EXACTLY what went wrong with this game.
>>
>>375690334
it was rushed trying to cash in on the little that was left of the pokemon hype.

to much water (im not joking). i hated that i had to surff 50% of the game to get anywhere.
>>
Emerald was the last one I played, am I missing out on anything with the new ones?
>>
>>375692182
Yeah youre missing playing HGSS and BW2
>>
>>375690334
not having 2 regions. i think thats what killed it for most people.
>>
>>375690916
Hit the nail on the head.
>>
>>375690334
Water
Technological limitations
The Pokemon fad has long worn out that time
>>
>took out day and night
>took out acorn balls
>shitty pokemon selection, wingull on EVERY fucking route
>inconvenient HM use everywhere
>honestly way too much water, compounding the shitty HM use and poor pokemon selection (tentacruel and wingull for hours)
>completely nonsensical evil teams
>DOOT DOOT DOOT IT'S THE TRUMPETS AGAIN

There was definitely some cool shit, like pokeblocks, contests, weather, diving underwater, etc. Gen 3 is weak as fuck though and I don't see how anyone could rank it highly other than nostalgia.

>>375692182
Play Platinum, BW/B2BW2, and maybe gens 6 and 7 if you're still feeling it.
>>
>>375692094
Hoenn babies.

>>375692182
HGSS and B2W2 are arguably the best games in the series.
>>
>>375691798
>>375692086
Also all of the characters sucked ass, but especially the rivals.

I want to crush the dreams of someone who actively dislikes me. Not have a "fun" battle with someone who wants to be friends afterwards
>>
File: man_yelling_at_computer.jpg (373KB, 1050x702px) Image search: [Google]
man_yelling_at_computer.jpg
373KB, 1050x702px
RUBY SAPPHIRE AND EMERALD WERE FINE.

WHY THE FUCK AREN'T YOU TALKING ABOUT HOW BAD OR/AS WERE?

THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE BETTER THAN HG/SS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>375692086
Emerald fixed that, luckily. Some of my favorite end game in pokemon
>>
Hidden bases were cool, but not enough to carry the whole series.
>>
>>375692460
No one cares edgelord
>>
>>375692470
No, they weren't fine. Emerald fixed a lot of things but Gen 3 still had numerous issues. ORAS failed to address things it needed to.
>>
>>375692460
To be fair, only May is completly like that. Brendan was kind of a dick.
>>
All the effort went into overhauling the actual battle mechanics. Stats, EVs, IVs, natures, moves, all of them were polished into an actually decent state for the first time in the whole series. The cost of that is that the game itself came out half baked, as >>375692402 enumerated.

Emerald came along and made a decent chunk of it better, but it still has issues
>>
>>375692182
kinda. if you want to try any of the new games, you should play platnium and black/White 1/2

i like HG/SS but they really fucked the leveling system up and the variety of pokemon you can catch.

black and White one has an actual story going for it but thats pretty much all it has. the end game is shit but 2 fixes that and makes it 10 times better by adding the black Tower where you can easily farm your pokemon and tournument mode where you can fight all the gym leaders, elite 4s and champions from gen 1-5.
>>
>>375692402
>complains about "way too much water everywhere"
>calls team magma "completely nonsensical"

you can't have it both ways jimbo
>>
The Pokémon design too detailed
>>
>>375692773
Yes I can

The Earth is over 70% water and yet Hoenn was the only region to completely fuck up and come close to that ratio
>>
File: sadwario.jpg (7KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
sadwario.jpg
7KB, 299x168px
>It will never be 2010-2011 again
>You will never experience what it was like to walk by everybody who had a pokewalker

HG/SS was great.
Pokemon GO could have had staying power if they had just kept the battling system from, gee I don't know. Every fucking pokemon game ever?
When people ask "Hey why doesn't pokemon just change everything about it's battling system?" Pokemon Go is a walking example. (No pun intended)
>>
Is there any RPG game that is completely linear, without exploration, and without any difficulty?
>>
>>375692470
no idea how they fucked OR/AS so hard. removing Everything that was improved in emerald was pretty dumb.

atleast zinna was cute.
>>
>>375693045
sun and moon
>>
It had a nice commercial at least
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br0ErE0BGU0
>>
>>375693050
They only removed battle frontier

Still dumb though but ORAS being a mediocre fame is just the result of the series stagnation from HGSS
>>
I'm just glad they added more Ghost Pokemon.
>>
>>375693090
Sun and Moon's difficulty was fine if you turned off Exp Share and set battle style to set. And don't purposely go out of your way to grind.
You DO do that in every Pokemon game, right anon?
>>
>>375693090
I hate pokemon games.

Any other franchise or saga of video games?

I look RPG, easy, without difficulty, totally linear, without any exploration and confusing stories?
>>
>>375693149

>No Berry Blender
>No Alternative to Gambling (fucking Nintendo)
>No Pokethlon equivalent from HG/SS
>No changing your outfit

They just didn't do enough.
>>
>can't transfer pokemon from previous gen

pissed me off as a kid. Having to get Pokemon colosseum to get Johto starters when they were in my Silver infuriated me. I'm still annoyed that I can't transfer them.
>>
>>375693149
Gym leader rematches
Pokeblock making minigame
Various locations were either removed completely or simplified to hell. Mirage Tower/Desert Underpass, New Mauville, Granite Cave, etc.
Nerfed trainer levels compared to Emerald
Removing overworld double battles from Emerald
No Game Corner
etc etc
>>
File: 1481610789680.gif (1MB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1481610789680.gif
1MB, 384x288px
>>375690916
>terrible pokemon distribution
This is correct. I will always have a special place for Ruby in my heart because it was the first one where I had an idea of what I was doing, but the selection really is awful, especially for water types because all the cool ones are locked until you need something to surf and dive for anyways.
I can't enjoy Hoenn anymore for whatever reason. Hell even replaying Emerald is a slog. I don't know if OR sucked all the joy out of it or what.
>>
>>375692182
Every game past past Platinum is horrendous.
>>
File: winona.jpg (519KB, 775x1149px) Image search: [Google]
winona.jpg
519KB, 775x1149px
>>375693564
>I don't know if OR sucked all the joy out of it or what.
I honestly think this is the case. I had a great replay of Emerald a few months before ORAS. I somewhat enjoyed the game the first time around, but the problems with it were super evident by the end, and I'm having trouble getting through my new Emerald run now.
>>
>>375692431
>>375692763
>HGSS and B2W2 are arguably the best games in the series.

>slower than D/P
>never fixed the pokemon distribution issues
>slog cut scenes and terrible replay value
>Gym Leaders rematches are based on a specific time of a specific day
Nah, fuck you. Both HGSS and B2W2 epitomize the problems with this franchise.
>>
>>375691905
>How much of the blame do you think should go to the composer
None? The tracks are actually really fucking good. The GBA's soundchip might be mediocre but it doesn't really hurt that many tracks.
>>
>>375692402
>completely nonsensical evil teams
They were cultists, it's not that hard to understand.
>>
File: file.png (592KB, 743x584px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
592KB, 743x584px
>>375693890
B2W2 and HGSS are faster than D/P.
>>
>>375692182
No.
>>
>>375693909
Are you implying that it's actually a GOOD idea to put that many MIDI trumpets in your tracks?
>>
File: 1477719583591.png (154KB, 287x297px) Image search: [Google]
1477719583591.png
154KB, 287x297px
>mfw even though my cousins wanted me to buy Ruby with them when they were released, I skipped both and waited to buy Emerald instead
Even as a kid I saw Gamefreak's formula. If you people couldn't recognize this stuff coming after Yellow and Crystial, it was your own fault.
>>
>>375694063
Yes. You could also argue that Gen IV had too many pianos, Gen V had too many trumpets and bass and so on.
>>
>>375694124
congratulations on saving $50
>>
>>375692086
>there was literally no end game
Battle frontier and that was hard as shit.
>>
>>375694630
Wasn't in R/S
>>
File: 1481356338905.png (73KB, 279x213px) Image search: [Google]
1481356338905.png
73KB, 279x213px
>>375693050
Zinnia was the worst
>>
Gold and silver(crystal) were the epitome of pokemon games, after that it was downfall.
>>
I hate how much people complain about the trumpets, I specifically liked the soundtrack because of the shitty 16bit trumpets.

ORAS just sounded flat and boring with neutered trumpets in the soundtrack
>>
I liked them
>>
>>375690916
I think the poor pokemon distribution is the one complaint I can never disagree with.

If you work extra hard at looking for rare pokemon you'll find some in almost every route, but 99% of the time it's just Linoones/Mightyenas and Pelipers.
>>
>>375695306
Yep, and then you get into any cave and fight your way through a million Zubat, Makuhita, Numel, and Arons
>>
>>375690334
i know it would never happen but the for me to get back into pokemon would be to make it more adult

for example have a turbaned guy threaten you on a train that you use to travel. he has 6 electrodes ready to explode and yells archeus ackbar
>>
>>375695718
fuck i wanted this in the other thread
>>
>>375692182
Nah. Emerald was great, but the series went to shit with DP
>>
>>375690916
>And emerald making them completely irrelevant.
Very similar to Diamond and Pearl, Platinum made them irrelevant.
>>375691905
The majority of the soundtrack is top tier, especially the champion's theme. The remake actually stumbled with the soundtrack a bit, Route 113 sounds terrible when compared to the original.
>>375692094
Because they used a meme as an excuse to dock points. There were bigger problems with the remake and GF actually went out of their way to make the surfing sections much easier.
>>
>>375690334
>No transfering from older games
>No buffed Elite Four rematch
>Impossible to complete dex without owning the Gamecube games
>Started event locked mons
However the music was the best in the series
>>
Unavailable
>Squirtle/Wartortle/Blastoise
>Poliwag/Poliwhirl/Poliwrath/Politoed
>Slowpoke/Slowbro/Slowking
>Seel/Dewgong
>Shellder/Cloyster
>Krabby/Kingler
>Lapras
>Vaporeon
>Omanyte/Omastar
>Kabuto/Kabutops
>Totodile/Croconaw/Feraligatr
>Wooper/Quagsire
>Qwilfish
>Remoraid/Octillery
>Mantine
>Suicune

Left with
>Psyduck/Golduck
>Tentacool/Tentacruel
>Horsea/Seadra/Kingdra
>Goldeen/Seaking
>Staryu/Starmie
>Magikarp/Gyarados
>Chinchou/Lanturn
>Marill/Azumarill
>Corsola
>Mudkip/Marshtomp/Swampert (if you don't pick it as your starter you're out of luck)
>Lotad/Lombre/Ludicolo (exclusive to Sapphire)
>Wingull/Pelipper
>Surskit
>Carvanha/Sharpedo
>Wailmer/Wailord
>Barboach/Whiscash
>Corphish/Crawdaunt
>Castform - Rainy Form (technically only Water in this one form and received as a gift)
>Feebas/Milotic (ridiculously rare)
>Spheal/Sealio/Walrein
>Clamperl/Huntail/Gorebyss (must be traded with a rare item)
>Relicanth
>Luvdisc
>Kyogre (exclusive to Sapphire and only one)

For a region that has 17 water routes, how many of these do you think you'll find while surfing those routes?
Wingull, Pelipper, Tentacool, and a 1% chance of Wailord on Route 129.
>>
Personally:

>Dropped Day/Night cycle from GSC, felt like a major step back.

>Despite having quite a few new Pokemon, the type and wild Pokemon variety was quite horrid. Probably my least favorite dex out of all the gens.

>Overworld visuals were kind of garbage and had a weird visual style with them that looked out of place. FRLG and Emerald fixed this a little to not look so jaring.

>Hoenn's layout was pretty garbage, and the amount of HM's needed was ridiculous. Also my least favorite region and locations in the series.

>Lack of anything to do after the main game, especially after GSC had a rather decent amount of content after the Elite Four. FRLG was much better in that regard and Emerald fixed that greatly.

>Dull and easy Gym Leader/Elite Four fights along with dull trainer battles. Emerald somewhat fixed this, while ORAS fucked it up again by using the R/S trainer data.

>First Pokemon games after not being backwards compatible was awkward at the time, and spoonfeeding the Pokemon back via other Gen 3 titles was a bit tedious and annoying (More of a Gen 3 issue then RSE).

>No Ditto at launch meant breeding was annoying for awhile. Not as much of a issue now.

>Font in the game was ugly as fuck and looked horrid. Also fixed in FRLG and Emerald.

With that said, I did like Emerald and I felt like they actually fixed a lot of issues RS had, but ORAS was a crushing disappointment that undid a lot of the good Emerald did for the base games and even made a lot of things worse.
>>
>>375693932
They were idiots who had no idea what they were talking about, yet apparently had the money and researchers to create secret bases and high-tech submarines. They were also copies of each other.
>Zubat line
>Poochyena line
>Numel line (Magma) and Carvanha line (Aqua)
Later games would very slightly improve upon this. Emerald gave a couple Magma grunts a Baltoy and a couple Aqua grunts a Wailmer. ORAS gave Maxie and Archie Mega Camerupt/Mega Sharpedo, and the teams the Koffing line (Magma) and Grimer line (Aqua). But in Ruby and Sapphire, the only difference was that the other team was red/blue. Their completely opposite goals are accomplished in the exact same way, and their lines might as well be swapped between games because it would make no difference. Not only that, you don't even get to battle both teams unless you're playing Emerald. If the entire game, you face grunts using Zubat, Poochyena, and Numel/Carvanha, I bet you can guess what the boss is going to use.

They also get off scotfree.
>>
>>375697401
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wattson#Pok.C3.A9mon_Ruby_and_Sapphire
>Magnemite
>Voltorb
>Magneton

>No Electrike
>No Manectric
>No Plusle
>No Minun
>All found on the route before Mauville City, with the exception of Manectric, which evolves from Electrike
>>
You know I always considered R/S to be really good games but you guys do bring up some fair points about their flaws.
I still think D/P are the worst in the series though
>>
>>375697401
This was a pretty big breakdown. I know the lack of day/night and the complete inability to get a shitload of older pokemon was two things that struck me as a kid right off the bat.

That gen was just a giant fucking mistake.
>>
>>375695718
Haha HELLA ebig XDD
>>
>>375693984
HGSS runs on the exact same engine as Platinum.
>>
>Maxie and Archie come off as less dicks than Zinnia
It's actually impressive.
>>
>>375690916
Disagree. Of the pokemon that are available early on they're all very usable with movesets that can hold their own and aren't a chore to level. I find the pokemon available in the early routes of gen 1 and 2 much more bland and more often than not outright tedious to use.
>>
Not just being a further add on to GSC

In a vaccum they're meh and Emerald and ORAS are pretty alright
>>
>>375699091
IIRC the only ones in the early levels worth a damn are Raltz and Shroomish
>>
>>375699321
>ignoring cool pokemon with cool designs like makuhita, aron, slakoth, lotad/seedot.

and before you say slaking is trash, in game it's not that bad
>>
File: xz15ZMe.png (377KB, 527x615px) Image search: [Google]
xz15ZMe.png
377KB, 527x615px
>>375690334
nothing
>>
>>375692402
I actually liked the villains. They weren't some meme team like team galactic or team rocket, they were actual insane people that wanted to drown the world or dry out all the oceans. Had some sense of urgency fighting them

Why are people hating on the trumpets? They're great, just like Platinum Music
>>
File: heartgold_soulsilver.jpg (974KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
heartgold_soulsilver.jpg
974KB, 1280x1024px
What went so fucking right?
>>
>>375701390
2nd Gen Best Gen, that's what
>>
>>375701390
Not the level curve in endgame.
>>
>>375696395
>Started event locked mons
What is Mew and Celebi?
>>
>>375701787

IIRC Mew and Celebi didn't trigger events in-game. RSE were the first ones that required you get a ticket or whatever and go to islands to catch the legendaries.

Honestly I don't see it as a big deal. I liked it more in Gen 4 and Gen 5 though.
>>
>>375701865
I liked the special events after the game, made you feel like you were finally noticed and let thru to catch legendary creatures nobody else could tame, a la mewtwo from the first gen.
>>
I remember soloing Emerald with a Gardevoir as a kid. I literally never had to switch Pokémon because Gardevoir just killed everything with psychic in one or two hits.
>>
Not a genwunner, I've played and enjoyed every gen but it began the shtick of stupid villains with stupid plots connected to the box legend.

Giovanni was perfect, like a real life criminal which was a given, Rockets were very mafia and yakuza-like.He also delved into criminal scientific experimentation for profit which was interesting while still being somewhat realistic.

Then you had neo-Rockets that wanted to continue GIovanni's work and influence in his absence.

Which soon became in later games:
>lol, what could go wrong if we revived a legendary beast that causes torrential rain/devastating heatwaves
>lol, what could go wrong if we brought legendary powerful beasts of time and space to create a new world for us
and so on
>>
>>375690334
Gen 4. An absolute trainwreck that would only be salvaged by Gen 5.

Gen 3 however was great start to finish.
>>
>>375702242
I wouldn't mind if Arceus was a box legend, for a change. I know he was introduced in Gen 4, but how long can they keep adding more and more pokemon? You got GOD, THE GOD OF ALL CREATION, you can't top that

I also wouldn't mind seeing some more realistic villains as well. Something on a personal level, like some sort of antifa like villains that start riots, claiming to want equality for all. They would also change the tone of the game quite a bit, because they would stalk you around the map and jump you with double or triple battles out of nowhere. Not everything has to be some epic quest to save the world, players would be more invested in, for example, saving a town from being burned by totally-not-antifa, or save an old man from being beaten by them, ect

I don't think nintendo would ever dwelve into politics, aside from a cameo like that trump pokemon, but I would like to see some custom project get this right
>>
>>375702552
Werent the B/W team kinda like that
>>
>>375690916
fpbp
>>
File: Antifa Brownshirts.jpg (125KB, 745x464px) Image search: [Google]
Antifa Brownshirts.jpg
125KB, 745x464px
>>375702653
Yeah, but they were more comical, right? Haven't played that game, but I know it was supposed to be PETA

No, I am talking about punks with gas masks, Bulletproof Vests and other pseudo military gear, brandishing totally-not-anarchy flags rioting on the streets and claiming people's pokemon and money belongs to everyone. I want a group of villains that effect you on a personal level, making them a bunch of commie thugs would help with that. Make their leaders creative as well, the higher ups could wear Soviet Uniform Mockups. Their leader could be the local politician or businessman, a good guy you see thru the game. During the story, you find out he's actually their leader, and he funds them for his own benefits, not to rule the world or summon a god or anything, he just wants money and less competition.

It would be nice to have some more realistic fights with those villains. Since they don't want to summon a legendary, they could instead be found burning towns and harassing people, even those you met or passed by earlier. One interesting concept would be to have a burned out Pokemon Center that would stay that way for the rest of the game until you chased some punks from it, forcing you to rely on potions in that area.

I'm just brainstorming here, but that's what I would like to see, especially if you would have some sort of Jessie/James equivalent that would stalk you during your journey and try to jump you with a double/triple battle when you least expect it, since antifa is known for always jumping their victims, never getting into an actual fight if they can
>>
>>375690334
Lack of content.

If you let people explore 2 continents in Gold and Silver they will really get pissed if you remove that feature and say: "b-but it has better graphics!" Players hate when they are being treated like fucking children.

A game should always top its predecessor. The 3rd gen simply wasn't better than 2nd gen. Period.

Would it really have killed the greedy bastards if they at least included Johto?
>>
>>375692460
This. It was amazing to fight the rivals in the first 2 gens because they were mocking you your entire life and treated you like shit. You actually had a motivation to be better than them.
>>
>>375690334
Too many water Pokémon/ too much water in general
>>
>>375702242
The fact that Giovanni had ties to gambling casinos, arenas and even gigantic companies makes it even more sinister. It could really be a criticism of modern corruption, hidden in a children game. The Mewtwo subplot could be a criticism of eugenics/cloning.

Gen 1 and 2 were simply more thought-provoking and mature than their successors. Team Rocket really felt like an evil organization which is capable of anything.

The other organizations are fucking jokes.
>>
I remember liking gen 3 because it had a happy spring look to it. And the music was nice.
>>
File: 1492679931933.jpg (57KB, 400x431px) Image search: [Google]
1492679931933.jpg
57KB, 400x431px
>>375693890
literally none of those points apply to b2w2 and only the last one applies to hgss
>>
Which of the Pokemon games should I emulate?
>>
>>375704807
Definitely the hacks which contain all pokemon. There is a hack for 1st gen which has 151. A hack for 2nd which has 251 etc...

This is the only real way Pokemon is supposed to be played.
>>
>>375701390

You haven't replayed that in a while, have you? >The Johto starters are still absolute ass from a stat and movepool perspective
>Nothing gives enough EXP
>You can't find all of the new Pokemon until you hit fucking Kanto for some reason
>Gyms are either piss easy or spike in difficulty level out of nowhere
>Lance has the absolute worst champion team in the franchise
>Kanto is so poorly balanced that you'll sweep through it in less than two hours
>Red is a fucking joke of a boss battle

How they thought this game was ok after Platinum, I'll never know.
>>
>>375705173

>Pokewalker allows for wide variety of pokemon to be caught at any point
>Diverse pokemon to make a decent team
>Pokemon follow you
>Berry pots
>Pokethlon
>Although there is no Game Corner, the replacement game is decent
>The fucking music
>GB Player
>Team Rocket costume
>Take pictures with your team throughout the game
>You can rechallenge Gym Leaders

All of what you said are still issues that I agree exist, but honestly I don't notice them because Pokemon has always been grindy and never difficult when it comes to the core gameplay. In fact I would argue that some of those problems are still apparent in the games released after HG/SS.
>>
>>375705865

B/W doesn't have any of that though.
>>
>>375694962
Gen I and II were weak compared to their remakes, as is expected from games from those days. Sure, they pack some nostalgia value, but that's literally their only advantage over, say, Gen IV and V.
>special stat (gen I)
>moves are special or physical based on type, so Hyper Beam is physical but Zen Headbutt special (also true for Gen III)
>numerous glitches
>poor graphics
>no running in gen I
>exp. Share is only available in mid to late game, true for remakes too. Exp. Share was good in DPPt and BW/BW2, not a balance issue, just meant that leveling a weak mon up was not a boring and tedious pain in the ass
And so on.
>>
>>375704076
Nostalgia is a powerful drug, eh? Blue, or as you call it Gary, isn't like that at all.

Also, there's no "motivation". You always beat them every single time you fought, yet they claim to be strongest. That's not being strong, that's being pathetic. Thankfully the only rival like that is Silver.
>>
>>375692470
ORAS is the exact same as RS though, you can't claim one is fine and another isn't.
>>
>>375690334
My favorite games in the series, though they did benefit greatly from the inclusion of the special/physical split in gen 6.
>>
gen 3 is the original shitty design gen
>>
File: 3ds-iwata-stache.png (95KB, 428x299px) Image search: [Google]
3ds-iwata-stache.png
95KB, 428x299px
>>375706308

>B/W only let's you catch Gen 5 pokemon
>The starters and their evos are all godawful
>"Champion battle"
>No Good Rival (BW2 rival is lame as well)
>N is easy as fuck
>Absolutely No Game Corner
>NPCs that can heal your party around every single corner of every route
>Poison doesn't affect you outside of battle(I know this is stupid, but I loved this in Nuzlocke runs)

Look, I love Gen 5, especially BW2, but BW was far from perfect. Definitely the best step in the right direction though. Sun and Moon felt like half of a Pokemon Game, but I liked it as well.

>>375706783

Not necessarily. For one, it was made a decade later after multiple other good games in the series. It should have followed up well. It didn't deliver.

>RSE didn't have framedrops in the middle of battles
>No Berry Blender
>No Game Corner or Game Corner alternative
>Secret bases were customizable but didn't allow for any cool local real time connection like in Gen 4 which also had secret bases and tomfoolery in the mines
>No Battle Frontier like Emerald
Now for some things that it should have had that previous games delivered on.
>Pokewalker equivalent
>Pokethlon/Minigame equivalent
>Berry Pots for portable farming
>GB Player
>Not having to switch between analog and D-Pad (if you're wearing the ItemFinder it comes off every time you switch between analog and D-Pad)
>>
>>375699581
No, but Makuhita is and Aron is not a fun Pokemon to have until it's in its 30s at least.
>>
>>375698425
Which is fast than D/P. Or have you not played any of them?
>>
>>375697414
>They were idiots who had no idea what they were talking about
yes cultists that's what he said
>>
>>375705173
>>375705865
This kind of thing is why >>>/vp/ exist. There's constant back and forth shitposting like this when discussing any of the remakes.
>>
>>375702242
Having a "muh money" in a series about overpowered animals is fucking retarded.

TR wasn't involved in Mewtwo either, you dumb anime shitter.

They made XY and SM for you, with unimportant box legendaries, and you still complain.
>>
>>375707261

>Region Lock

That was the point. Gen V had the single biggest addition to the Dex and was distant from all of the other regions.

>Starter Evos

Aristocrat Snake, Ganon/Piggy from Journey to the West, and Ottter Daimyo. What's not to like?

>Champion

They make it a point to tell you that Alder's getting up there in years and that losing his partner hit him had. Ghetsis on the other hand can be a curbstomp if you're not ready.

>N's difficulty

Agreed. He only gets into the swing of things in the last quarter.

>No game corner

If it meant NoA and Europe tearing it out again, no thanks.

>Healing NPCs

Placed in/before dungeons so you didn't have to either keep running back to centers or carry huge amounts of items.
>>
>>375707261
>>RSE didn't have framedrops in the middle of battles
It's hard with 64x64 immobile sprites and almost no background. On the other hand it was prone to freezing.

ORAS has the berry blender.

GC is a legitimate point.

Gen 4 bases didn't allowed half the shit that the gen 3 ones did, were real time but didn't have anything to do.
>>
>want to replay Ruby, use my DS for it because gba is kill
>internal battery is dry
>game still runs but time never works
looks like I'm never getting that shell bell back
>>
File: Magnetizer_Sonic_boom.png (46KB, 1256x820px) Image search: [Google]
Magnetizer_Sonic_boom.png
46KB, 1256x820px
>>375707824

I've tried /vp/.

I just can't do it, man. Something happens when you give certain fans their own board. There was this awesome thread on /v/ where people rolled a pokemon and designed a weapon based on the pokemon. Somebody made the thread on /vp/ and nobody contributed, they all just shitpost and argued about generations until the thread died and talked about how much they would fuck Gardevoir.

I miss /tr/, and before 4chan had a pokemon board, 420chan had /po/. All of the pokefags from that chan and board migrated after Gen 5.

>>375708092
>>375708124
these guys are probably the most level-headed people I've argued with about any recent pokemon game on any chan in years, I even agree with most of the things they're saying, but it's probably because it's real nigga hours on a Monday night/Tuesday Morning where I'm from. This shit just doesn't happen on /vp/.
>>
>>375692182
xy is fun if you want to feel absolutely overloaded with the amount of pokemon that feel new to you (it has the largest regional dex out of any game by a mile and every route has different pokemon on it from the last), otherwise no.
>>
What pokemon and movesets did you use for Emerald's Battle Frontier? My first time actually EV training and carefully planning their movesets
>>
>>375708783

Just copy and paste Smogon sets.

http://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/pokemon/blissey/
http://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/pokemon/metagross/
http://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/pokemon/salamence/

These three usually carried me.
>>
>>375709184
The thing with a lot of those is that they require me to get TMs I already used up, like Sleep Talk, or breeding them into oblivion until I got the perfectly optimized pokemon. I already got Salamence, Snorlax and Suicune, but I am trying out different options. My Latios/Regirock/Ludicolo Team is pretty damn good, all things considered
>>
>>375690916
To be fair it is much better then in GSC where its all shitmon and most of the new johto pokemon have low encounter rates and/or put in obscure places.
>>
>>375704447
>It could really be a criticism of modern corruption
Yeah but it clearly fucking wasn't and if you actually think it was you're either stupid or delusional
He's a cartoon mafia boss you want, next you'll be saying TMNT is surprisingly mature and thought-provoking about its subject matter
>>
>>375709671
Pokemon slipped a surprising amount of things past the radar, I wouldn't underestimate it just because it's a kids game

Altho you are most likely right, but when everyone else is a cartoon villain, you don't have much else to compare them to
>>
>>375709781
>I wouldn't underestimate it just because it's a kids game
No, I'd do that because it's Pokemon. Not because Pokemon is a kids' game but specifically because it is Pokemon.
>>
>>375709842
Well, for example, they have a pokemon that randomly kidnaps children. That pokemon is implied to look and act jewish, yet you don't see anyone chimping out over that

It's pokemon, nothing storywise is going to blow you away, but TR are one faction that at least feels real, not like something straight out of a cartoon. Team galactic is the worst offender, they had good potential to be cultists, but they're just bumbling fools and thugs with blue hair, they're generic anime villains 101
>>
>>375694063
Wait, are there people who seriously hate the trumpets? I thought this was just a meme
>>
>>375709541

I feel like my team turned out pretty rad in HG/SS.
In GSC I was still a "train my starter and nothing else" kind of kid.

>Typhlosion
>Victreebel
>Miltank
>Starmie
>Hitmontop
>Gliscor
>>
File: Hypno.png (58KB, 666x690px) Image search: [Google]
Hypno.png
58KB, 666x690px
>>375710080
Pic Related
>>
>>375690334
Nothing
I've been playing since genwun and loved these games even at the release
Emerald only made them better
>>
>>375710080
Team plasma felt real too. Conquering unova could last as much TR would if they suceeded but they would do enough damage to the region. Too bad you discover theyre evil so early, BW1 plot fucked there.
>>
>>375690334
They tried to cut off everything good about RBYGSC. RSE should've been to GSC what GSC were to RBY. Also Hoenn as a region, both in how it played and its design, was trash, and the new Pokédex was just awful, made even worse by the lack of previous gen mons. Not to mention by the poor art design and shitty GBA music. Emerald and FRLG barely improved any of these points.

Gen 3 will always be the worst Gen, and Crystal and Platinum will always be the best games.
>>
File: download (4).jpg (15KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
15KB, 300x168px
What went wrong with these?
Platnium was my shit back then and it got me back into pokemon
>>
>>375710913
Am I the only person who genuinely really enjoyed Diamond and Pearl, and found that Platinum only slightly improved on them?
>>
>>375710981
Yes

I hate how there is literally no reason to replay any of these games once the deluxe edition comes out. They should have pumped Platinum up, so it has a severely different story, different pokemon ect, while keeping the same region. Something that Black and White did with their sequels, me thinks
>>
>>375710981
Did you even play platnium?
>Added more pokemon
>Can catch the legendary dragon trio
>Looker
>The reverse world
>>
>>375711361
>only additions
The only thing that could be considered as improving on a flaw is the larger Pokédex.

I enjoyed both Pearl and Platinum, and I think D&P are unfairly maligned, as I don't think that they're significantly worse than Platinum.
>>
>>375710905
>RSE should've been to GSC what GSC were to RBY
Mind elaborating on what the fuck this is meant to mean?
>>
>>375710913
Team galatic was edgy, the plot sucking your dick is only cool when youre a kid and some forgettable/ugly mons but i feel like it needed to happen. Having the best spinoffs also made it worth exist.
>>
>>375711683
RSE should have been a true sequel to GSC in same way that GSC were a sequel to RBY, rather than trying to be a new standalone Gen. In my view, Pokémon as a whole would be better if each generation were a true sequel to the previous one.
>>
File: 03.png (19KB, 726x476px) Image search: [Google]
03.png
19KB, 726x476px
>>375693890
>slower than DP
lol
>>
>>375712039
Nah, I think a reboot was necessary. You can completely ignore the first two games, now that both of them have been remade. I will take a self contained, altho limited in scope sequel where I can take my pokemon and transfer them over to all the future games. They should have remade crystal and yellow tho, I would be curious to play those
>>
>>375712329
How the fuck do you speed run in pokemon with those long ass tutorials and grinding levels
>>
>>375690916
>terrible mon distribution
Dp would like to have a word with you.

Nah the games were pretty good and also have to tier world design. Still too much water. Emerald was still in every way superirior.

Still best mix of story and exploration.
>>
>>375712616
Pokemon is not long as other jrpgs
>>
File: hata_spin.gif (781KB, 500x289px) Image search: [Google]
hata_spin.gif
781KB, 500x289px
>>375693890

>D/P
>saving a LOT of data
>faster than HGSS and B2W2
>two of the best entries in the franchise are everything wrong with the franchise

Sober up, homo
>>
>>375710905
And most of all, you will always, always have shit tastes.
>>
File: source_halp.jpg (32KB, 293x364px) Image search: [Google]
source_halp.jpg
32KB, 293x364px
>Playing Diamond and Pearl
>Want to have a balanced team
>Literally only two decent choices for Grass type, Turtwig evo line, Budew evo line
>Literally only non shit fire choice is Chimchar evo line

What the fuck was up with this shit?
>>
>>375695306
>Mightyena
It's even worse than that. The routes were all Zigzagoon and Wingull's lines. Poochyena only appears in the first three routes, Mightyena never shows up at all.
>>
>Red and Blue were fun games
>Gold and silver massively improve the formula, you get to visit 2 continents, there is a shitload of new stuff to do
>Clearly gen 3 will be amazing. Will push GBA to its limits, have 3 large continents, even more new mechanics and near endless content.
>LOL NOPE, back to one region per game, culled mechanics and terrible pokedex.
Gen 3 marks the downfall of series when gamefreak decided to become jews instead of making better games.
>>
>>375713412
My conspiracy is that would encourage people to use their new feature to transfer Gen 3 Pokemon, or buy HG/SS
>>
>>375710913
The battles, when compared to other generations that exist in the current year, are the slowest to date. Seriously, it feels like your game freezes after choosing a move.
The areas weren't that memorable, the plot was basically the one from hen three but edgier, the elite four (besides the champion) and gym leaders aren't memorable and the variety is all over the place. I think there are only something like three fire types you can obtain in game.
And like >>375696304 and >>375711268 said, Platinum makes their existence pointless.
>>
What's with all this Gen II dick sucking? It was shit.
>>
>>375713838
Volkner, masked man, cranidos spelunker, that guy with a shovel, ice loli, gardenia, fantina... I remember more of the leaders than XY at least.
>>
>>375713952
Maybe it was, but still were the best pokemon games released (except HGSS).
>>
>>375713663
There's only so much content you can make before you run out of time and/or money. There was no way Game Freak was ever going to top having 2 continents in the game.
>>
>>375714092
>bland region
>boring characters
>forgettable new mons with poor distribution
>reusing team rocket
>half-baked kanto at the end
Gen II is the table scraps of I
>>
Do not reply to him
>>
>>375714176
People have to remember that it was iwata double timing and trying to innovate. This was always going to be a one time thing, if they did that with hoenn, then the next games would have to be included too or there would be fan outcry if they didn't, and that would just force them to make the regions smaller and smaller or just focus on kanto and a few other regions
>>
>>375714020
>masked man, cranidos spelunker, that guy with a shovel, ice loli
My point is if you can't remember even half of the names of the gym leaders or what their guns even looked like, then they're forgettable. And you're right, X&Y suffers from the same problem.
>>
>>375697414
>They were idiots who had no idea what they were talking about, yet apparently had the money and researchers to create secret bases and high-tech submarines.
Scientology.
>>
Sapphire is still my favorite Pokemon game, never played Emerald
Didn't like Pearl much or anything beyond it
>>
>>375715179
That's gen 4, gen 3 had 2 group of cultists, and they had to steal the submarine in emerald
>>
>>375715317
Eh I was just giving an example of a real life cult that has enough money for that shit not actually comparing Team Magma/Aqua to them.
>>
Gold/Silver/Crystal A Shit

You cannot argue with this
>>
File: 1493312090366.jpg (220KB, 2480x1353px) Image search: [Google]
1493312090366.jpg
220KB, 2480x1353px
>>375694124
>waiting 2 years for a slightly better version of a pokemon game

wow what a winner
Thread posts: 171
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.