[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>'Hitman' pre-orders canceled as the game switches

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 13

File: DominoGun.png (162KB, 606x432px) Image search: [Google]
DominoGun.png
162KB, 606x432px
>'Hitman' pre-orders canceled as the game switches to an episodic release
>an episodic release
>episodic release
>episodic
When will this shit end? Just release full games like they did in the 90's, gaming companies are the fucking worst.
>>
>Hitman preorders cancelled

All 12 of them?
>>
Are you implying games weren't released episodically in the 90s?
>>
>>324026302
>When will this shit end?
When people stop buying it. So never.
>>
What pre-orders?
>>
>>324026596
I still got mine. I'm a hold out.
>>
what is hitman?
>>
>>324026302
>episodic release

they made by Tell-Tale now?
>>
They probably cancelled the preorders so they can tell shareholders preorders are low because of the cancellation, not because no one was dumb enough to preorder a hitman game after literally everyone in IO left after Blood Money
>>
File: FUCK EPISODICAL RELEASE.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FUCK EPISODICAL RELEASE.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>324026302
MRW Square Enix fucks your beloved HITMAN up
>>
>>324026913
It would be less linear than Absolution at least.
>>
>>324026302
Is a Hitman game that sticks to its roots and builds and improves upon Blood Money too much to ask?
>>
>>324027069
>blood money
>roots
S T O P
T
O
P
>>
>>324027069
If they wanted to do episodic, they should have stuck with Blood Money. I would pay $60 for more Blood Money maps.
>>
>>324026302
You don't seem to understand, that developing games now are much more expensive than it was "in the 90s"
Making this and FFVII:R a full release would make their development cycle to be close to 5 years, and they arguably would be much more limited in the end due to the current tech.

Besides, in the end Hitman will be available as a full package next year, so you can just buy that as a full game - you'd need to wait either way.
>>
>>324027190
>You don't seem to understand, that developing games now are much more expensive than it was "in the 90s"

Ah yes, this excuse again. Maybe if they spent less money on marketing they wouldn't have this problem. They don't even fucking sell physical copies of PC sales anymore. Then they have the fucking nerve to sell digital "copies" the same price as physical.
>>
Hitman-like game is great for episodic releases, theres some positives: consumers dont have to pay as much at once, if an episode is bad they can skip it. The developer can focus on polishing smaller part of game to release now and not withold the game from consumers for extended period.
>>
File: image.jpg (394KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
394KB, 1024x1024px
>>324027746

>Maybe if they spent less money on marketing they wouldn't have this problem.
>>
>>324027981
>consumers dont have to pay as much at once
consumers pay more in the long-run, you dope.
>>
>>324028103
explain how?
remember if you want equal quality end product the full game would be released when the last episode is going to be released. people generally dont enjoy waiting
>>
>>324027746
Without marketing games don't sale, silly. Even the great ones.
>>
>>324027981
>Being this Autistic
>>
>>324028252
>Being this articulate
>>
>>324028212
>explain how?
Full game release would cost somewhere around $70~. An episodic could be six parts that each cost $20. Would you rather spend $70 or $120?
>>
File: 1398025192465.jpg (56KB, 436x298px) Image search: [Google]
1398025192465.jpg
56KB, 436x298px
>>324027981
How exactly would a person just pay for a part of the game they like?
Do they just refund the ones they didn't like?
>>
>>324028003
But games DO spend too much on marketing. AAA games often have marketing budgets equal to or greater than the development budget.
>>
>>324026302
>Just release full games like they did in the 90's

You mean like sonic 3, and sonic and knuckles?
>>
>>324026302
>pre-ordering games
It blows my mind that there are still people stupid enough to do this.
>>
File: MGS_Laughing.jpg (298KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
MGS_Laughing.jpg
298KB, 600x456px
>>324028516
>ever playing a sonic game in your life
>>
its that cancer company fault, telltale, and the autistic retard who buy their shitty fucking games.
>>
>>324028406
from eurogamer:
" The day one Intro Pack$15.

After that you can choose to buy each additional chapter/location separately priced at $10 each, or get the /$50 season pass-style Upgrade Pack for all other content.

pay for the whole lot upfront. cheapest option for getting everything, $60."
>>
>>324027130
By roots I meant mechanics which Blood Money did very well.
>>
>>324026302
What the actual fuck.
>>
Who cares? Just buy it when all episodes are out.
>>
>>324029376
I'd be nice if episodic release means we'll have to wait 1-2 years more. Shit's sucks, sure, but I got enough games for that.

Medium, platform, number of people working on a project, release schedule, existence of additional content and so on is changing how the game will look like in the end.

If game is realesed in episodes, it'll be different from game released all at once. Of course, it could be a good change, but let's be honest, it doesn't happen often.
>>
>>324026302
Am I the only one who thinks this could actually work great for Hitman?

I mean, take Blood Money. Big separate levels you can play around with and complete in many ways, instead of beating one, going straight for the other, beating it and going straight for the other you get time to play around with each before the next release.

Confidence in an episodic model also gives me hope it will be more like BM than Absolution, Absolution would have never worked with an episodic model.

Each level in Blood Money could be completed in minutes, but give you hours of play. Each level in Absolution could be completed in minutes, and give you minutes of play, that doesn't work well for episodic stuff.

Also means there can be feedback between episodes where we tell them what doesn't work.
>>
>>324026302

>I'm so mad that time moves
>I'm so mad that things change
>I'm a whiny old cuck

If you don't think the series climaxed with blood money I don't know how to help you. We won't get another blood money. Anything is better than Absolution.
>>
File: image.jpg (70KB, 660x468px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70KB, 660x468px
>>324026302
>Coheed OP image
>>
>>324030408
>Am I the only one who thinks this could actually work great for Hitman?

Yes, you are the only person that delusional.

>Feedback between episodes

m8 they haven't even outlined how to give feedback a month away from the beta.
Keep dreaming.
>>
File: 1365139190767.jpg (43KB, 423x750px) Image search: [Google]
1365139190767.jpg
43KB, 423x750px
>>324026302
>pre-ordering
>buying/pirating games before the goty/deluxe/whatever edition comes out
>>
>>324030669
different genres work differently, personally I dont think episodic releases for telltale games which are heavy on narrative is that good.
For hitman it absolutely will work.
>>
>>324028516
Yeah, 2 full games. What's your point?
>>
More entries = more money.

It's not that hard, OP.
>>
>>324026302
I like episodic releases and Hitman seems perfect for it
>>
Why does this Hitman release seem so amateurish and odd really it looks good but why not just delay it and release it properly with a decent amount of levels it would be pretty good.
>>
>>324030870
You have that completely around the wrong way.

>>324030976
Found the Square Enix shill

>>324030990
Because Square Enix gotta get them shekels
>>
You get entire game for 60.
What more do you fucking need, an upvote?
Piss off.
>>
>hentai
>great first episode but then goes to shit
>hitman
>great first episode which obviously would be the game and then tiny DLC-like additions which only fans buy to fill the emptyness inside
>>
Hitman is one of the few series that can really pull off the episodic format, however I have zero faith in game companies so fuck this.
>>
>>324031128
how, if its narrative heavy I want to experience the story in quick succession
hitman will have assassinations that can be fully experienced without rest of the game
>>
>>324031128
Okay, why doesn't the hitman formula work for episodic then?

I gave reasons why I thought it would work here
>>324030408
but you have not actually justified anything
>>
File: headlining_pitbull.jpg (42KB, 560x308px) Image search: [Google]
headlining_pitbull.jpg
42KB, 560x308px
>Square Enix
>Episodic release

Fuck it

Fuck everything, turn hitman into a meme DALE posters I just don't care anymore. You won DALE

MR WORLDWIDE
>>
I mean, the gameplay could still be great. Who isn't going to pirate/wait for it all to be out and on sale anyway?
I'm not trying to defend this shit, but there is still a small chance that something good could come out of it. I just want Hitman to be good again :(
>>
>>324028502
Well no shit - if nobody knows about your game, no one's gonna buy it.
>>
>>324031969
and thats why so few new ips are created in the triple A genre
>>
>>324030952
but it adds up to literally the same amount of money they had planned
I'm pretty sure they just did this because they aren't able to bring the first three levels to an adequate state of completion for the release date which is when they planned to release half the game and drip feed the rest splatoon style

so rather than going with a traditional delay, they put the release in a format that would allow them to finish one level at a time and release it a la carte to the players

calling it now: this game will get shit on for its episodic release when it comes out, then 2 years later when the game in its entirity has been out and the release is long in the past we're going to get one of those fucking idiotic "so why did we hate this again?" posts a week for fucking ages
>>
>>324027039
>TellTale Games
>being less linear than Absolution
Good one, anon
>>
>>324033089
I think the first episodic release will be key.

If its streamlined Blood Money rather than Splinterman: Convolution, and good, people will be pretty happy.

I mean, Absolution was not really bad. But it wasn't Hitman.

And I can only expect it to get better after that.
>>
File: 1335818303854.png (408KB, 633x526px) Image search: [Google]
1335818303854.png
408KB, 633x526px
>2016
>caring about shitman
>>
>>324026302
The irony
>>
>>324026302
us 90s kids huh
>>
File: nightmare fuel.png (227KB, 725x959px) Image search: [Google]
nightmare fuel.png
227KB, 725x959px
why would we want to make LESS money?

this is the future you chose
>>
>>324026302
it was known since E3 that it will be episodic... just buy it when it's complete.
>>
>All these arguments and comparisons about Blood Money and Absolution
The game could, you know, do it's own thing?
>>
who gives a fuck if its episodic?
judging by the alpha it's already better than absolution.
>>
What exactly was wrong with Absolution?
>>
>>324035895
Except, you know, it's an entry in a series?
>>
>>324036628
minimal freedom at assassinations
story interfering with gameplay
>>
>>324031593
Fuck off /mu/, your meme got old even there
>>
>>324035582
but this doesn't apply to episodic games
in fact wouldn't episodic games be the worst case scenario? pic coming but I have to bump this off page 10 first
>>
>>324036628
It was a solid stealth action game and I thoroughly recommend it.

It just wasn't hitman. Hitman has traditionally been about moving through a large level and find out creative ways to kill a dude.

Hitman Absolution is mostly about avoiding dudes like Splinter Cell, and not much else. It is still great in many ways.

Also. It focused too much on a story that was not worth that much focus
>>
>>324028003
>>324031969
>if we just ignore the giant tumor, maybe it will go away
>>
>>324036628
literally everything
>>
>>324041004
>he thinks marketing and development budgets come from the same pool and are treated as interchangeable by publishers
>>
>>324036115
if you had a functioning brain you would

every episodic game suffers delays and ends up several times the cost of a regular game

its just another way to extract more money from chumps like you.
>>
>>324030408
The problem anon is that you are delusional.

It's not how it works or if it works.
Its why they use this method and are constantly changing the model.

The reason : Tomb Raider fuckery is a failure.
Hitman has to pay for it because its sales are lower than what they need catch up.

And the only game they truly care about is Deus Ex.
>>
>>324026302
Never ever bitch. You can thank dumbass faggot gamers and the internet, somewhat, for that.
>>
>>324042009
If they didn't take MS's timed exclusivity check and released the game across other platforms like they should have done, they might have made money on TR.
>>
>>324030976

Literally the only situation in which episodic releases are acceptable is with point & click adventure games.
>>
>>324041317
it does come from the same pool and publishers are 2000% retarded though
>shilling advertising
we must go deeper

>buying games because you saw an ad
>seeing ads
>>
File: image.png (56KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
56KB, 320x200px
>>324026302
uhh anon...
>>
>>324040229
Literally this.
The producers didn't know how hitman worked and just asked the team to make a splinter cell clone.
>>
>>324040229
>>324042687
literally neo /v/ redditors
>DURRR IT WAS A GOOD GAME BUT NOT HITMAN HURRR PLEASE FUCK MY MOUTH
it was a fucking shit game with a terrible story, level design, characters, mechanics and save system.

>neo /v/ is actually defending absolution
it's comical at this point. please, please take your shit taste back to reddit you fucking niggers
>>
>>324043156
How are we defending absolution?
We know it was shit.
Calm your autism.
>>
>>324043521
>It was a solid stealth action game and I thoroughly recommend it.
yeah, okay neo /v/

>HURRR IT'S A GOOD GAME JUST NOT A GOOD HITMAN GAME DURRR
fuck off you retarded redditor fuck
>>
How about

Don't buy it

Stop talking about it

Wow that was so hard
>>
>>324026302
I'm content with this. Already, I was only going to buy the $30 Intro Pack just to see what the game was like and only pay for what was released at the time. If it was good, then I'd buy the rest of it any only be out $5 at the end of the day.

Now, I get to test it out for only $15 to try it out and still only be out $5 at the end of the day if I buy the rest of the areas by themselves. Plus, I get the bonus of avoiding the purchase of badly designed areas. Only real downside now is having to wait an extra month for Italy and one after that for Morrocco.
>>
>>324043951
Thats not my post though.
Dumbass.
>>
>>324026764
why even?
>>
>>324030408
This.
>>
>>324026302
>When will this shit end?

When people start falling for it. Basically "never ever" because people are fucking dumb.
>>
>>324045889
Its not going to work for hitman.
Reason to this is they are struggling.

Episodic = low sales.
Devs resort to this when they don't expect to raise high sales and wanna lower the loss.
They make the next episodes depending on how much one has sold.

I tell you, its all because of Tomb Raider and they would rather sacrify Hitman than Deus Ex.
>>
>>324043951
>>
Not going to buy it until the whole game is out and it's actually good. I have a feeling it's going to be average because they're falling for the "fully open world" meme instead of open but much smaller well designed levels like blood money.
>>
Well, looks like another game I don't get to buy that I was hyped for. Just fucking great.
>>
>>324042553
>not understanding ads
it's pretty rare that ads are meant to drive you to buy now, anon, outside ads you see for car dealerships or clearance sales or what the fuck ever

ads for products are there to make sure you're aware of that product's existance, so at some point in the future when you think to yourself "gee, I sure could go for some [insert activity/food/whatever]" or "damn, I need a [appliance/tool/service]" a bunch of brands leap to mind that you've unconsciously associated with that service.

so in this case, the marketing team pushing [GAME X] and shilling it on forums knows that only a certain percentage of people will buy it day-one. What they want is to make enough noise that the existence of [GAME X] sticks in your mind; you know it's there. That way, down the road, when you're thinking to yourself "fuck I'm bored" and browsing steamsales or what the fuck ever, if you see [GAME X] instead of dismissing it without recognition you look at and think about it for a moment, maybe even click through to its store page to look at some screenshots or steam reviews.

Because a statistically significant number of people who do that will actually then make that purchase, and they want to maximize those odds.
>>
>FFXV is episodic
>FFVII Remake is episodic
>now Hitman is episodic
Square Enix should just merge with Telltale by this point.
>>
>>324026302
Doesn't bother me at all.

In fact, it is the best possible way to do this with this kind of game. You see, since this game has unconnected levels, then by selling them individually, we can pick and choose what levels we want while skipping the boring ones. Another part is that there is the potential to pay less than the typical price of a AAA game, and if you pay more than that, then it is simply worth it.

Thank you Square Enix, you are always consumer first. It makes me happy to be your fan.
>>
>>324046197
I would guess that you're right about episodic release not helping sales, but I think the reason they're resorting to this has less to do with risk mitigation and more to do with "this shit has been delayed for way too long, we need another clearly significant delay (imagine if it were released as a complete package but on the last day of their planned "episodes") but that would hurt our sales even more than episodic release would, so we'll bite the bullet and hope for the best"
>>
>>324047883
subtle
>>
I dont see the beef with episodic content for certain genre's. This way you can pay 5 bucks and if the game is shit you can go your merry way and ignore the rest.
>>
>Next month
>Square Enix and Eidos Montreal are pleased to announced that they have canceled Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, and will instead release Deus Ex: Gameplay Divided
>>
I don't get it though.

Is it still 2 packs of 3 missions each or not?

How is it different from what they announced before?
>>
>>324047393
>patronizing rather than understanding the point
when publishers routinely spend more on an ad campaign for a game than the game itself something has gone horribly wrong though

also i honestly don't know how there are people in this world who expose themselves to ads in [current year] and i have steam and various storefronts and the internet to inform me of games i would likely be interested in

i don't care how AAA publishers spend their money, doesn't change the fact they're legitimately stupid for spending those amounts of money on carcinogens, just seems like they're living in the distant past
>>
>>324048061
I don't know if it helps or not.

My guess is this game has become too ambitious for them.
They had to cancel it for this december because they didn't want Fallout 4 to stomp on them

Then people got always more suspicious.
Preorders were cancelled everywhere and the game they showed wasn't really satisfying it was literally Absolution 2.
I mean they still haven't finished 47's face.
>>
>>324049937
>I mean they still haven't finished 47's face.
pretty sure they thought they had, they just didn't anticipate a bunch of people complaining about making the main character handsome and had to react in kind

Re: absolution 2.0, I didn't get in the alpha so I don't know firsthand, but that's disheartening. I've been hearing otherwise though, so I'm still keeping an eye on it.

Besides that: agreed. Seems like a case of biting off more than they can chew. Interested to see if they pull it off. I'll play the first ep at least.

I enjoyed playing absolution, so it's basically no-lose for me.
>>
>>324049002
the breakdown is like this

BEFORE:
>3 sandbox locations at release with missions in each
>3 more sandbox locations released one at a time over the course of 3 months

NOW:
>still a total of 6 sandbox locations, but they are released one at a time at a rate of 1 a month, starting with the original launch date.

so the end result is the same in terms of the game you get and the price you pay, but the content release timing has been adjusted.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.