[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Legitimately overrated games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 9

File: Deluxe_package.jpg (17KB, 332x218px) Image search: [Google]
Deluxe_package.jpg
17KB, 332x218px
ITT: Legitimately overrated games
I'll start with pic related.
>that pacing near the end of the game with the FUCKING NEEDLES
>that rapid fluctuation of tone throughout the whole game
>the fanbase thinks it's great writing anyway because "FEELS, DOOD"
>>
Not everyone is a cynical soulless asshole, deal with it. Nothing will ever be liked or disliked by everyone. Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and like yours they stink. Carry on.
>>
>>323514347
>It's this thread again
>>
>>323514764
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>323514764
/thread
>>
Pacing and tone are fine

Mother 1 still has the best everything though except graphics
>>
>>323514871
le-le-le-le-le r-reddit maymay
>>
>fanbase of a single player game makes it worse
>>
>>323514764

He's not wrong. It's a sophomoric narrative fit primarily for the teenage/young adult audience it targets. Acknowledging this doesn't make you cynical or soulless.
>>
File: image.jpg (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
110KB, 600x600px
>>323515094
>implying Mother 1's has best gameplay
The battles don't even have the scrolling health meters. Mother 1 is the best in many other regards though.
>>
>>323514764
>>323514825
>>323514889
>>323515165
OH MY FUCK!
I swear to Allah, whenever someone points out a flaw with this game that everyone thinks "N-NUH UH! U RONG!" Grow up.
>>323515239
It's a thread about overrated games, you sweaty goober. It's overrated by people, which includes the fanbase. It's not rocket science.
>>323515094
Mother 1 has problems of its own, but tone is not one of them.
>>
>>323516072
*this game, everyone has to scream
>>
>>323515429
What made you feel that way about the narrative?
>>
Half life

Bioshock
>>
>>323516072
Mother 3 is a game that people feel very strongly about. As my favorite game of all time I admit it's flawed in quite a few ways but I think even with its flaws it still an amazing game. I actually wonder how much better or worse it would've been if the n64 version wad completed.
>>
>>323516072

IF YOU REPLY BELOW THIS LINE YOU TOOK THE BAIT
>>
>>323516072
NO U grow up. It's not that your wrong, it's that you can go on and on about what you didn't like about the game and that doesn't make the opinion of the people that liked it less valid. If I raged or made a thread about every shit people like that I don't, I would never end.
>>
>>323514871

You must go to Reddit an awful lot to be able to spot another Reddit user.
>>
>>323516810

It's melodramatic, unsubtle, and heavy-handed. There's little subtext or nuance to any aspect of the story. Furthermore it is thematically trite and self-indulgent.

Is that pretentious enough? Nevertheless I do feel this way. Itoi knew what he was doing better when he didn't take himself too seriously.
>>
>>323514347
I have the red limited edition Mother arrange vinyl and I'm never going to open it.

I have never played a Mother game.
>>
OP here
You know, this thread wasn't made for the sole intention to hate Mother 3. Now, please contribute.
>>
Shadow the Hedgehog. Every time there's a video about it on Youtube, there's always people that are like "IT WASN'T THAT BAD, YOU GUYS!". Game's shit, despite what Sonic fanboys say.
>>
>>323517796
I think even with mother 3 itoi didn't take himself that seriously, or he took the games as serious when making 1 and 2. I do agree with you as I wish hinawa and claus had more development and that the game expected you to just automatically care about them but even then I don't think it really over did it. I think all of the mother games are meant to be emotional to a extent but mother 3 is definitely less subtle about itself and wanted to be very personal, how you feel about that depends on your feeling of the story.
>>
>>323517287
So, you as well?
>>
File: Parasite_Eve_Coverart.png (107KB, 256x248px) Image search: [Google]
Parasite_Eve_Coverart.png
107KB, 256x248px
BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING
I just started this game (I'm an hour or so in) and, as a seasoned Survival Horror expert, this is way too different to what I was told to expect. Movement is sooo slooow. I'm getting bored from it. Not only that, but I literally got handed a shit ton of ammo when I talked to someone outside the theater. Battles are interesting, but I'm not amazed by it. I like the atmosphere, though. Probably not a bad game AT ALL, but fuck JRPG shitters for calling this a true Survival Horror game. Probably the only one they ever played.
>>
I'm going to bump this thread
>>
File: mug.png (426KB, 600x699px) Image search: [Google]
mug.png
426KB, 600x699px
>>323519376
>BEFORE YOU SAY ANYTHING
>I just started this game
>>
the last of us
>>
>>323515094
It had a great story. The graphics effected more than just how visually pleasing it was though. It ruined the fun of exploration. It also wasn't a very fun game.
>That feel when NWC announcement started playing the Mother theme
>Thought for sure it was going to be an announcement of localized mother 3
>Title Earthbound Zero hit the screen
>Got even more hyped hoping it was a remake of the original to make to give it better gameplay and remake the whole world just with the same general plot as the original
>Turns out it was nothing but a VC release of Mother 1
>>
>>323520034
At least I told the truth.
>>
>>323514347
Super Mario world. 3 and yoshis island are better, so is 7 coins

Any 3d Zelda game. Only the 2d ones are good. Even those are outclassed by legend of oasis

Banjo kazooie/2. Terrible platformer with bad controls, camera, and hit detection

Chrono trigger/cross. Dragon force, thousand arms, and skies of Arcadia are much better

God hand. That game is fucking shit. Looks like shit, plays like shit, characters are shit, its just shit

Mega man 2. Mega man 3 is better in every way

Crash bandicoot 3. 1 is the best, followed by 2.

Spyro 1. I did have fun as a kid with it, but its really does play and control like ass

Earthbound. Literally a game for children. Which when it was released kids hated it. As did adults

Eternal darkness. Self explanatory

Morrowind. Oblivion is better in every way

Deus ex. Game is shit. Only reason it gets praised is because PC hasn't gotten more than 10 good games since then

Thief. See above

A million more I can't think of right now
>>
>>323521105
>Mega man 2. Mega man 3 is better in every way
Hell yeah.
I don't agree with anything else though.
>>
The amount of shit taste in this thread should be used in research
>>
>>323521290
>implying I have shit taste

5 favorite games in no order

Dragon force
Darius garden
Burning rangers
Legend of oasis
Ring of red

>shit taste
Fuck off underage
>>
>>323519376
Anyone that told you to expect a survival horror would've been an idiot. It's a JRPG with some cliche PS1 era horror theme and a godly soundtrack
>>
>>323521105
>Eternal Darkness: Self explanatory
Wut?
>dat argument for Deus Ex and Thief
I only played Thief, but REALLY, NIGGA?
>>
Witcher series.
>>
>>323521532
the only underage here is you
>>
Vanquish, gameplay is just average and rocket knees doesn't change much. Weapon selection is weak, few nice ones. Pacing is horrible with those shitty sniper sections and the like thrown in. Shit melee.
It's not a bad game but all I see is praise for it on /v/, just like most Platinum games.
>>
>>323521617
Does it get any better? Does combat become more fun?
>>
>>323514347
Playing this right now and I'm on the seventh chapter with the Needles.

How the fuck do you 16-hit Bothersome Guys? I know it's the first battle song in the game, but I NEVER got 16 on it. I got 15 five times.
>>
>>323514347
>that rapid fluctuation of tone throughout the whole game
terrible taste
>>
>>323522080
What are you playing on?
>>
File: Persona4-Cover.jpg (36KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Persona4-Cover.jpg
36KB, 400x400px
Yukiko is cute and all, but I don't know how anyone can stand those horrid dungeons and HP sponge bosses.
>>
>>323521532
>Fuck off underage

Not the anon you were talking too. But I may be older than you seeing as I thought Beyond Oasis was better than Legend of. And I say you have shit taste. You seem to have picked out a bunch of Saturn games and Ring of Red just so you can pretend your picks are great because they're obscure.
>>
>>323522151
At least try to make sense. Elaborate.
>>323522231
This. The whole game is easy as fuck, honestly.
>>
Hey, guess what?
bump
>>
>>323521231
I agree Megaman 3 is better
But I'd rather play Megaman 2 any day of the week.
>>
>>323521862
Nope. IIRC there's some weapon customization later in the game that's kinda interesting which you probably haven't really touched. But if you aren't enjoying it fairly quickly into it, you should drop it.

You might like the PSP one, it's very different. Still not survival horror, but it kinda appeals to people that thought PE would be interesting and didn't like PE1&2.
>>
>>323521532
You don't even know how to form a structured post

get off of /v/'s recommended games wikia and try some games by honesty and not nerdcred
>>
Kingdom Hearts
>>
The Mother series was always trash, Undertale shits on the mother series as a whole with writing, characters and especially gameplay.
>>
>>323524632
They're all shit
>>
>>323524632
>tfw you unironically believe this but can never say so without your post being called bait
>>
>>323525541
This is bait
>>
>>323525541
If that's the case, then you probably don't read a lot of books or watch any good movies.
>>
>>323522158
Flash Cart of the ROM hack, playing on a GameCube.

I can 16-hit Fate and Serious, but not this shit.
>>
>>323525981
But Undertale actually has better writing than earthbound though
>>
all of them
>>
Mass Effect 1.
>>
File: the saddest.jpg (191KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
the saddest.jpg
191KB, 500x500px
>like the mother series

>people hate it because of both it's fanbase and the fact that it was obviously an inspiration for undertale, which people hate because of IT's fanbase

We used to have good threads before that came out. Fucking hell I hate fanbases.
>>
File: Shovel_knight_cover.jpg (165KB, 256x374px) Image search: [Google]
Shovel_knight_cover.jpg
165KB, 256x374px
linear levels, spammy and mostly piss-easy boss fights, cliche story, overly-detailed backgrounds in some areas that makes the scenery looks crammed and uneven, snail slow combat, borrows elements from retro classics so much it lacks its own identity. yet everyone acts like it's the most perfect game ever made.

>"i'd still buy the game if it were $40 XD"
>>
File: utbanner-vgyybuzj.png (5KB, 1280x400px) Image search: [Google]
utbanner-vgyybuzj.png
5KB, 1280x400px
>Implying that Mother 3 is overrated
Well my friend, then why don't you consider this game overrated? Because as someone who played both games, UT is more overrated than M3 and it's not even as great as M3.
>>
>>323521105

You view on Mega Man III is correct. Your view on everything else is completely wrong.
>>
>>323528229
This, most of the time I ended up having to use the Zelda 2/Ducktales ripoff attack frequent as fuck because it was most effective dealing with those one dimensional bosses ugh
>>
>>323521105
You're going to have to elaborate on the "self explanatory" part, anon.

Also Oblivion was worse in every way except for NPC AI, which was admittedly much, much better than Morrowind's. Yes, even combat. Hitting based on skills is preferable to level-scaled damage sponge enemies that won't even flinch while taking 20 arrows to the chest, and often can be defeated even with the shittiest, most unskilled characters by circle strafing while you whittle away their inflated health bars. Not that Morrowind's combat is passable by any means whatsoever; it's just slightly more bearable than Oblivion's. I'm in complete agreement with you about Morrowind being overrated, especially here on /v/, but definitely not compared to Oblivion.

And what the fuck is wrong with Deus Ex? I'm not going to try to change your mind or anything but I'd at least like to hear your reasoning on why you found it to be such shit. Were the dated graphics and voice acting a factor? I can understand those being a legitimate turn-off to anyone who didn't play the early 3D games in their day, so I wouldn't blame you if that were the case, but the rest of the game holds up remarkably well and you'd be hard-pressed to find another that lets you tackle your objectives in so many different ways.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.