[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just bought Dark Souls 1. Am i gonna have a blast ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot_2016-01-08-23-39-18.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-08-23-39-18.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
Just bought Dark Souls 1. Am i gonna have a blast ?
>>
>>323268753
As someone who only recently started it myself, you are not going to have a good time for a while until you get past the barrier of not being a complete scrub. Once you do that though it gets pretty fun.
>>
>>323268932
Is it really as hard as people make it out to be ??

>currently making a character
LMFAO THE BLACK DUDE
>>
>>323269341
Single player darkest dungeon basically
>>
The game is played best in small sessions, as you'll probably get stuck at something and get frustrated frequently.
>>
>>323269341
It pulls a lot of bullshit, and has a brutal learning curve. Once you get the general gist of it though it will generally be bosses that give you grief. But that feeling once you do get over that hurdle of whatever was holding you back is great.

>>323269394
Was playing some more DD today. Can't wait for the update on the 19th. Especially since it means things are locked in and we can finally start properly working on mods.
>>
File: whatigot.jpg (242KB, 986x1378px) Image search: [Google]
whatigot.jpg
242KB, 986x1378px
>>
>>323269341

No.

The game isnt nearly as hard as people claim it is, just play it smart, and pay attention to your surroundings
>>
>>323269341
desu I don't think I've played a game with a steeper learning curve, but once you get your head around it it's not so bad - if you can make it past the first couple of hours you'll be right
>>
>>323269341
It is unforgiving, but not hard. The basic premise of the game is "learn form your mistakes and don't fuck up again like that".

It does have a few dificulty spikes though, but you are expected to adapt to the situations around you.
>>
First six hours will be you getting your ass smacked around in the best level of the game.

Then the game feels more conventional after overcoming the learning curve. You'll feel very confident when confronting most of the bosses, even if you still die a lot.
>>
>>323269918
that is one ugly fucking baby
>>
>>323270361
that's gary coleman.
>>
>>323270289
>>323270227
>>323270165
Yeah that was definitely me for the first 6 hours. One of the few times in a long while where I recall having to learn by proper trial and error.

Those fucking dogs with the Capra Demon though. Fuck that shit.
>>
>tfw finally playing Dark Souls for the first time after all this time because, hey, backlog

I even temporarily suspensed my "always play mage" rule in these kinds of games to play a Knight because apparently melee is the way to go in this game. I'm looking forward to it but I have no idea what to do with the level up system.

Haven't died yet because I've barely arrived at the Firelink Shrine, but those skeletons in the Firelink Shrine cemetery don't look like a good omen
>>
Dont fret about dying, you will do that a lot. Learn from every death. Try and use souls whenever you have some free, dont save them. Fuck the dogs. Patience patience patience. Unless you are a spineless casual you will have a blast
>>
>>323270469
>tfw undead burg
>tfw feeling comfortable with the combat already, being cautious and all that shit
>tfw you give it a try to that fucking dark knight
>"how hard could it be?"
>tfw he kills you after slowly chipping away his health for almost 20 minutes.
>>
Just remember to level resistance as high as possible.

To at least level 40 (the soft cap).
>>
>>323270786
This. Turns you into an unkillable havel
>>
>>323270786
Don't listen to this guy, resistance is the most useless stat in the game. never spend points on it.
>>
>>323270645

>I'm looking forward to it but I have no idea what to do with the level up system.

If melee just remember that it is impossible to waste points in endurance and vitality and that strength and dexterity aren't as important as the gear you use. If you enchant a melee weapon with an element then it invalidates most of the boost your offensive stats would grant you.
>>
Not OP, but I just got to Ornstein and Smough, wish me luck anons.
>>
>>323270786
>>323270939

I like fucking with people too but I have to intercede here and state that Resistance is a useless stat.
>>
>>323271039
Best of luck anon. It is a battle of attrition. Don't get too greedy and keep your cool and you will do fine.
>>
File: 1447480645359.jpg (4KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
1447480645359.jpg
4KB, 261x195px
Going to not be a meming fucklord like >>323270786
>>323270865

A lot of weapon stats and effects arent really explained too much in the game, going to the wiki is your best bet for a good experience. The game does a good job of explaining just enough, don't fuck over npcs, don't be stupid, use a shield if you are new, always keep it up

Magic is incredibly useful and much better for a second playthrough as a lot of good spells are hidden or locked away.

Go 40 in whatever your main offense stat is and then go for endurance and vitality, resistance deals with poison and debuffs and is useless.

Don't wear heavy armour, your gear weighs you down, keeping your total weight at 25% or under will let you roll (which gives you invincibility frames) super fast.

Above all, if you get shitstomped on a boss too much, use humanity to be human and summon a player, watch what they do for next time and try to be an active learner.
>>
So I rang the Church Bell and now I've found myself in front of the Hydra down in depths of Darkroot Garden. I think I'm lost. The only other venue I found my way to was Valley of Drakes.

Is Darkroot Garden or Valley of Drakes a closer starting point to finding my way to Lower Undead Burg?
>>
>>323271039
I was a bit dissapointed, killed super ornstein on my first attempt, the fight just punishes your spacing.
>>
>>323270645

>I have no idea what to do with the level up system.

1. Buffing Vitality and Endurance is never wasting points.
2. If you want to use a big smashy weapon level strength. If you want to use a quick weapon level dexterity. Damage will scale with these stats based on weapon type, check the certain weapon to see which. Some even scale with Faith and Intelligence.
3. Don't level stats that you won't use weapons in.
4. Never level resistance, it's useless.
>>
>>323270737
I lived in sheer terror of those knights after the first one wrecked me. Now I love nothing more than stabbing those fuckers in the back. Last one I found had some sort of Lance or Pike, and I managed to stab him in the back and the kick off the blade animation booted him off a ledge.

I have no idea where I am but I know there is a fucking hydra down there so I am going back to that Capra Daemon until I git a little gudder.
>>
>>323271407
look up a video for going to depths, you have to do capra if you don't want to be a cheeselord.

If you are good at running, just do a cheese strat and skip Capra and Vagina dragon by going blighttowns exit. For the true experience though, Open the door near where you met solaire.
>>
>>323271039
Do yourself a favor and make sure you kill Ornstein first.

>>323269341
The only people who memetically label this game as impossibly hard are babies who don't have the patience to actually look at their surroundings and make educated decisions in and out of combat.
>>
>>323268753
>Am i gonna have a blast ?
Do you like getting ass fucked against your will ?
you will cry, but once done, you will think "hey, that wasn't that bad
>>
>>323271407

>Is Darkroot Garden or Valley of Drakes a closer starting point to finding my way to Lower Undead Burg?

If you have the master key, you can go Valley of the Drakes to New Londo Ruins, to Firelink to Lower Undead Burg. If you don't have the master key you can grab the Londo Ruins key in the beginning of the entrance to Blighttown from the Valley.
>>
>>323271503
The weapons they drop are very strong. The knights also have a limited spawn until the end of the game, so save them until you can pick up a covetous serpent ring from sens fortress.
>>
>>323271590

>Not getting the sweet ass Ornstein Set

The pain you feel against super Ornstein is totally worth it.
>>
The only retards I find who have trouble with this game are the ones that can't fast roll.

FAST ROLL IS GOD
FAST ROLE IS LIFE
>>
Patience and pacing are your friend.

I never spec casters, just never felt like they had much play going for them. I spent my first week thinking there was only one way to go from the start, so I learned how to riposte against skeletons while I was very low level. It was a tough week, but when I finally saw there was another path I was supposed to go I was pretty much unstoppable. Get the timing right with riposte, keep calm, and you can get through just about anything.
>>
>>323271407
Go to the door near where you first found Solaire, in the bridge with the red drake.
Then you can go to lower burgm then depts.

Make sure to rescue the guy in the depts, he will teach you phyromancy.
>>
>>323271731
I'll keep that in mind friend. I really do need some item drop stuff. Though I did get that asshole's Spear or Pike (can't remember which it was). Apparently that works well for a Thief so I might start trying to use that.

I really need to figure out how to beat the Capra Daemon though. It isn't so much him but the fucking dogs fucking me over. I can't even get away from them long enough to swing at them before the Daemon comes over and starts into me.

Do I need to just ignore dodging for this fight and put on some gear that will help me keep stance long enough to kill the dogs? I could probably upgrade my Baulder set. Don't mind grinding some Baulders either since I want their shield.
>>
>>323271989
I always kept a good bow and a crossbow with me and never ever missed any casting ability.

Crossbow is also good for taking by surprise some of those pvp faggots.
>>
>>323271574

>look up a video for going to depths, you have to do capra if you don't want to be a cheeselord.

It pains me that there are people that don't take the proper route through the lower undead burg, the depths, and blighttown to get to that bell on their first playthough.

The narrative and atmospheric elements of going deeper and deeper into the earth while things keep getting danker, nastier, and more rotten makes for great worldbuilding.
>>
>>323272036
Oh right, thanks for reminding me about that door. I'd completely forgotten about it in my frustration of thinking I had to somehow run past or outright combat the drake.
>>
>>323272218
It's hard for thief, did you pick master key? If so, I recommend skipping him by going to blighttown first. You can access it by valley of the drakes.

If you DON'T have the key, or just want to finish it, roll to the right, left will kill you, don't lockon and aim for the stairs, from there kill the two dogs, then jump over to the part above the doorway accessible from the stairs, do it far enough away from him and he will go over there, then use a plunge r1 attack and repeat.
>>
File: 1355161414970.jpg (34KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1355161414970.jpg
34KB, 350x350px
Get a controller.
Now.
>>
>>323272253
I only mentioned it since I skip it past most playthroughs when I am aiming for some specific build, definitely a great first playthrough experience. I just can't be assed to deal with it.
>>
>>323272218

Against the Capra, poise is your best friend, because you don't want to the dogs stun locking you at all during the fight. Capra will finish you off pretty quick if that happens.

So put on a high poise set of heavy armor first of all.

The strat I typically use for Capra is I just run straight at him and right before his lunge hits you, roll, preferably to the left, but the right isn't a bad option either. After that, run up the stairs and kill the dogs when they chase you up there.

After that Capra isn't too bad at all. The worst part of that fight is the dogs.
>>
>>323272567
As much as I prefer M+KB, The controls for the souls series were designed for controller. I feel most games similar in combat are like this as well.
>>
>>323272839
It's a no brainer, either you play with a controller and git gud, especially in pvp, or die like a scrub and drop the game because "it's 2hard4me man, it's just a bad port!1!" like thousands before.
>>
>>323272667
The advice on poise armor is kind've useless for a new player, going on the proper path there is no good poise armor yet. Also, for capra rolling is your friend.
>>
>>323270975
Unless it's holy/magic. Then it scales with faith/intelligence respectively.
>>
>>323268753
Wish I could play this for the first time again. Be sure to stop short at the Kiln and run through DLC content.
>>
>>323273185

>run through DLC content

This, do not skip the DLC, it has 3 of the most fun and challenging boss fights in the game.
>>
>>323272551
Yeah I took the Master Key. That was what sold me on the Thief. I like DEX stuff anyway though so that was just icing. I don't think I have tried rolling to the right from memory. Though I have managed to get up the stairs a few times but the dogs just corner me, then in comes that fucker to finish the job.

I'm thinking it is probably best if I do just manage to get through him though. What I found down in that foresty area scared me.

>>323272667
Yeah it is the dogs that are fucking me. If I can't get rid of them I don't think the Daemon himself will be much of a problem. I might try a proper Poise setup this time even if I can't roll for shit in it. I think my Stamina is probably up to the point where I could take the hits to the shield and still be able to swing back and kill the dogs.
>>
>>323273260
>Tfw just did artorias for the first time today

I regret the fact that it only took me 3 tries, he was by far the most rewarding feeling kill. He perfectly sums up Ds1 combat in a single fight, watch boss, patience, hit, repeat.
>>
>>323271407
Read the item description of Basement Key. It tells you exactly where to go.

But exploring the forest and killing the Hydra are good to do now, if you can.
>>
>>323273350
Capra is one of the few fights you can't get help on. You won't go down the forest area or the hydra area till like endgame, just isnt needed.
>>
>>323273528
Yeah it definitely felt like I was going the wrong way. Guess I'll just have to go back to the Capra and git gud.
>>
>>323270645
Don't mess with the skellies, don't mess with the ghosts in the flooded srea, come bsck later for both.
>>
Ornstein and Smough are fucking raping my asshole. I killed Quelaag in two tries. I got the Capra Demon in one. I killed the Iron Golem on my second go. This is the biggest leap in difficulty I've seen in a while.
>>
> not playing demons souls first
>>
>>323274074
Demon souls deserves a remaster, it is a bit aged right now.
>>
>>323274067

>Ornstein and Smough are fucking raping my asshole.

I dunno if this will help, but always use the pillars for cover against those guys. Thinking of my position in relation to the pillars and the bosses helped me kill them the first time around.
>>
>>323274067
You and everyone else, man, bit don't give up. Bigs and smalls are games real final test, the rest is just review after that, and Gwyn may be the final, but teacher forgot to take down the posters in the room that explain everything on it.
>>
>>323274067
You can always use one humanity and summon Solaire, He will keep distracted one of them while you fight the other. One on one they are easier.
>>
>>323274276
Yes maybe it would benefit from a bit smoother controls but it is still my favorite souls game just because of the atmosphere. I feel DS1 did pretty good with capturing the same theme with adding a little something different to it but DS2 was just a little too edgy for my taste. Havent gotten a chance to play bloodbourne, looks pretty good though.
>>
>>323274074
>12 days later
>still trying to out-grass the Old Monk
>>
>>323274529
Nah. I took Ludwig out by myself, I took Flamelurker out by myself. I'm gonna take out O&S by myself.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.