[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok what am I doing wrong here? Right now the combat in this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

File: what.png (521KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
521KB, 900x675px
Ok what am I doing wrong here?

Right now the combat in this game just feels tedious. Every character is just a slightly weaker version of cloud and it seems like all I am doing is selecting an enemy and attacking. Yes, theres the limit break every once in a while, but its not really different from a normal attack, it just does more damage. I put materia in Aerith's equipment (and then she was captured) because she does dick all physical damage but even then she has less mana than the main character.

Is it going to be like this forever, just wait for the bar to fill, select an enemy and choose attack? Will I at least get a competent magic user at some point?

And what the heck is up with Tifa, she only has a melee attack and it does significantly less damage than cloud or barrett, and her limit break is just like "sometimes it is almost as good as cloud's"

Help me out here, am I doing something wrong? This feels boring (I like the story so far, though)
>>
Yes also aeris dies
>>
>>322780161
It branches out a lot once you gather more materia assuming that is a screen cap of your gameplay, however the gameplay never becomes deep, only a means to an end.
>>
FF7 has aged like milk. If you wanted more interesting combat, play 8 or 10.
>>
>>322780318
Homey I never played this game but I still know THAT
>>
>>322780161
1) You're clearly not using enough Materia
2) If you are, your combos suck
3) You are underleveled.

OK, the first question should've been this:
Have you even left Midgar yet? If not, you're not even 1/6th through the game, and should shut up and calm down.
>>
>Playing games for fun instead of masochism past age 13
>>
It didn't age well.

The "Entering battles takes 15 seconds and the camera spins around like crazy because WOO-HOO 3D!" meme was very much alive at that time.
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 724x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 724x720px
>>322780161
>le epic meme house enemy
no dude seriously kill yourself
>>
>>322780161
>Every character is just a slightly weaker version of cloud
facepalm
dude every character, aside from their limits, can basically be customized however you want
wait until you actually get more materia
you're still at the beginning
>>
>>322780161
You're at the beginning of an RPG from the 90's, it'll be slow going for a long while.

Aeris is really great at magic, but just give her some time. Tifa doesn't really shine as a party member until late game with her limit breaks (she uses all of hers instead of just one at a time) or until you exploit a piece of equipment she gets close to the end of disc 1.

And yeah, you wait for the bar to fill, choose an action, then watch it play out. Later on in the game, when you have more varied materia, you can choose loadouts that have the materia interacting with one another in interesting ways. But that's a ways off.

Your characters' strength also goes down depending on how much "magic" materia they're equipped with. If you want Tifa to deal more physical damage, remove some of her materia.
>>
>>322780161
>Will I at least get a competent magic user at some point?
you mean any of the characters?
the problem isnt the game its you
>>
>>322780439
Thats not a ss of my game, but its about where I am in it, Sector 7 just got destroyed and I am looking for Marlene (I think).

>>322780439
>combos
What combos? Combos would make this a lot more interesting.
And no I haven't left Midgar yet I'm just trying to figure out now if this is going to get better.

>>322780659
What does your post mean??

>>322780738
No one knows how to use magic IRL
>>
File: 1452017229994.jpg (185KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1452017229994.jpg
185KB, 1920x1080px
>>322780161
>he isn't utilizing his materia
>>
>>322780414
>playing 8 for interesting combat
what a laugh fellow anon

VIII should only be played for nostalgic purposes if it was your cherry popper into the franchise.
>>
>>322780839
>>No one knows how to use magic IRL
What does that have to do with what i said
>>
>>322781132
>>322780738
>the problem isnt the game its you
>>
File: 1435078673762.jpg (62KB, 649x658px) Image search: [Google]
1435078673762.jpg
62KB, 649x658px
>>322780839
>What combos?
Using more than 1 Materia at once. Using each complementing / enhancing combos with linked slots. And so on and so forth.

Later gear will have more slots, different slot designs, and so on. You can turn basic magic moves into kickass moves with other Materias. The "All" Materia is a classic favorite of many, and for a good reason: Cure + All = cures whole party at once, and so on.

All in all, you're at the VERY beginning of 60+ hour game. Don't expect to get access to all bells and whistles just yet. The first disc isnt even at HALF point yet!
>>
>>322781209
yeah you need to learn to use materia and stop being a whiney bitch so your characters can use fucking magic and you can stop being a faggot
>>
>>322781338
Alright alright, I'll keep going with it
>>
>>322780414
>aged like milk
>implying the combat was ever good
if anything the graphics are the things that aged best
>>
>>322780414
>8
>interesting combat
>>
>>322780161
kill yourself casual trash
>>
>>322781483
>le ATB is obsolete meme
>>
>>322781592
>baby's first JRPG before pokeman
>not casual
>>
>>322780414
>aged like milk
Oh, it's time for this meme again.
>>
File: sb.gif (2KB, 102x54px) Image search: [Google]
sb.gif
2KB, 102x54px
>>322781209
aka you the player are terrible at understand the game's systems and aren't using them effectively, don't gotta be a wizard irl to figure this shit out OP

it's an older jrpg just shut the hell up for a bit and let your characters get stronger, learn a bit about materia on the way and enjoy the story. yes, the battles get better: eventually more varied + more strategic options via materia, equipment and limit breaks. Yes, you wait for the bars to fill then choose your actions, it's active turn based (ATB) not an action rpg.

if you want an action rpg go play kingdom hearts or wait for the remake or something
>>
File: Van.jpg (95KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Van.jpg
95KB, 900x900px
>>322781683
>implying it was ever good
only Chrono Trigger has ever used it in a way that didn't make me want to kill myself playing it.
>>
File: 1446750190022.png (405KB, 772x482px) Image search: [Google]
1446750190022.png
405KB, 772x482px
>>322780161
LAMO LOOK AT THESE MEME ENEMIES
>>
>>322781853
Why is it a meme?
>>
>>322781846
You should've just killed yourself years ago and make rest of our lives better.
>>
>>322781846
the ATB system itself, or the excessive (and probably pointless) random encounters? it's a pretty big difference anon.
>>
Go play IV DS/Steam if you want an actual challenge.

But then you'll probably come here bitching about how the game is cheap when you get your shit pushed in.
>>
File: 56464655.jpg (17KB, 255x352px) Image search: [Google]
56464655.jpg
17KB, 255x352px
>ITT: pretend any magic other than Enemy Skill, Cure, or Ultima (which you get very, very late in the game) is worth a shit
>>
>>322780619
I remember how there were crazy camera spins only in the first battles
Why did only the first few Shinra guards have that?
I miss this stuff
Then again in a game like XII, XIII, or XV you can't have that simce it's real time combat
I still miss the over-long crazy summons and Supernova
>>
>>322782354
It had its charm, yeah. How long did knights of the round take again? 2 minutes?

They even realized how broken it was and buffed the final bosses if you used them on the final Jenova Battle, if I remember right.
>>
>>322782270
But anon Enemy Skill alone has like 30 spells in it.
>>
>>322782175
Im used to Game with encounter rates ever 3 steps so that didnt bother me at all, the ATB is just a lame excuse to make you spam the x
>>
>>322780619
Holy shit wild arms the camera is going fucking wild on every individual attack
>>
>>322782175
The real problem is the fucking enemy attack animations that take forever and a day to complete. And I'm not even talking about meteor, it's all the little guys that like to waste your time while they stare around blankly or dance a little jig before every attack.
>>
>>322782709
You seriously have to wonder who programmed the camera.
"So, now this enemy is going to cast fire... we'll rotate the camera 270 degrees around him, then wait for 0.5 seconds, put it in front of him and slowly zoom out, then we'll focus the enemy that's getting hit, then get closer, yeaaah".
>>
>>322782626
you might be right about that during normal trash mobs yeah spamming attack, but during boss battles, it can be pretty different. I like to do low level runs of games so having extremely fast inputs / extremely well timed inputs to defend against a boss' attack or combo certain ones can be pretty damn fun and wouldn't feel the same on an action RPG.
>>
File: 1448204317757.jpg (121KB, 614x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1448204317757.jpg
121KB, 614x1024px
>>322781483
>the graphics were the best
Holy fuck anon I think you're critically stupid. VI sprites looked way better than block forearms with tiny elbows you big blind fag
>>
>>322780161
Cloud has overall the best stats so yes, he's gonna be a bit stronger than anyone else most of the time.

Everyone in your party is a competent magic user, because Magic Materia gives you a bonus to your magic stat when you equip it. It is almost always better to go whole hog and load someone down with magic materia rather than give everyone one of them.

Aeris does dickall physical damage because by default she is in the back row which means she does half damage. If you want her to give people the stick properly you need to put her in the front, and she's not nearly as bad at it as you would expect. (there is also no reason not to put Barret in the back row because you take less damage in the back row and he has a gun so he ignores the damage reduction on his attacks)

Tifa's limits are actually really good in the mid game because of her gimmick but they fall off late game. Tifa is honestly kind of a gimmicky character in general and the best way to make her useful is to exploit one specific weapon you get for her later on, which is called the Powersoul I think, which does insane damage if Tifa is on low hp and has the Death Sentence status effect.

And you are still very early in the game, once you start getting access to more Materia, and level your materia up, the game gets a lot more interesting. At this point all you have is Magic Materia and All, and I think Steal.
>>
>>322782571
KotR is 1 minute iirc and Supernova is 2
And if you use KotR against Jenova Absolute and/or Bizzarro Sephiroth then the One Winged Angel gets up to 400k hp
They better call him Seraph Sephiroth in the remake since Safer is retarded
>>
>>322782270
Get the enemy skill Beta early and see how it fucks up everything for the next couple of hours. Hell, same with the much easier to get Matra Magic.
>>
>>322782965
You wont see character models more unique than the over world ones, And they look a hell of a lot better than the 15fps models that you couldn't even see any facial features thanks to the shit resolution
>>
>>322782270
Ultima sucks and is a waste of mp
>>
>>322782931
Here's how it probably went
>DUDE, WE HAVE FUCKING 3D NOW
>THREE MOTHERFUCKING DIMENSIONS MAN
>SO LET'S GET CRAZY WITH THIS
>>
File: 1275515372311.jpg (71KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1275515372311.jpg
71KB, 540x720px
>>322782965
Those shitty arms are kinda iconic now, but obviously they looked shit back then too. It's more of the backgrounds, going back they still look pretty damn good, even if they're low resolution.
>>
Reminder to always use Hypers on your party to put your bar in the red state and fucking keep it that way.
>>
>>322783439
Yeah. It's like when someone first discovers transitions in PowerPoint.
>>
>>322783217
That's exactly what I meant, though. Enemy Skill is downright broken. Beta, Trine, and the other one are the only offensive spells you need for most of the game. And Big Guard is the win button. But telling OP that he's doing something wrong because he finds Thunder, Fire and Ice underwhelming and is resorting to just attacking every turn is so retarded that I can't even believe it's happening.
>>
>>322782270
Ultima fucking blows, you can get the level 3 spells and summons up to 9999 just as easily and they cost less mp

Enemy skill is OP as fuck though, yes
>>
>>322781793
ATB stands for Active Time Battle. It's not turn based. FF hasn't been turn-based since before FF4 came out.
>>
>>322783851
FFX was purely turnbased though. And it had some of the best combat in the series.
>>
I played this game for the first time a week ago on the PS4 and I enjoyed it a lot. Reminded me of Chrono Trigger, which plays the exact same way.
>>
>>322781403
Magic is underpowered in FF7. Physical attacks, especially Cloud's, will be superior in most cases, even more if you take MP cost into the equation.
>>
Throw some nades for a change.
Use Thunder on robots in early game.
It can be played many ways.
>>
>>322784397
>Leave Midgar
>Get Matra Magic
>Bulldoze fucking everything
>Get Buggy
>Get Aqualung
>Go back to Zolom to get Beta
>Set for rest of the fucking game
>>
Don't bother with the fags harping on about Enemy skill until another playthrough, you'll need a walkthrough to find all the spells which will suck the fun out of the game.
>>
>>322782270
Bio is really good. Most enemies and even bosses can be poisoned.
Sticking various elemental magic + Elemental on your weapon or armor is amazing.
Bolt is really good in Midgar.

Enemy Skill isn't a magic materia. Go fuck yourself. Let's have a look at the useful command materia.
Steal, Manipulate, Morph, Deathblow, Double Cut, Slash-All, Mime

Then there's tons of good support materia, and summon materia + Added Effect or Elemental can be incredibly useful

Fix your shit, Anon.
>>
>>322784792
Why would anyone other than a completionist want all of the spells? You only need 6 of them at most and they're among the easiest to get.
>>
>>322784653
Matra Magic is good in the early game. Main use is for grinding limit breaks, though.

You can get Beta immediately after leaving Midgar and without grinding.

You can get Aqualung before getting the buggy. If you go to the chocobo tracks in the Gold Saucer area, one of the encounters is a chocobo and a chimera.
>>
>>322785423
Big Guard and White Wind are pretty easy to miss, since the story really wants you to move forward at those points instead of grinding trash mobs.
>>
>>322780161
Ohboy, more false flagging threads to mud up the original games image. How much is squarenix paying your marketing firm?
>>
>>322780686
Listen here you pleb. Every character its not a blank slate. Every one has different stats and stat grow independent from Materia. Cloud its OP because that guy has no weaknesses because he will be in your party 99% of the time.
>>
>>322785423
Matra Magic, Big Guard, White Wind, Beta, Trine, Aqualung, Magic Breath, Bad Breath, and L4 Suicide are all excellent. Death Force has use if you're underleveled and don't have shit that lets you one shot enemies in the Northern Crater, since a lot of them can inflict instant death. Chocobuckle can be a source of 9999 damage at the very beginning of the game when your characters are hitting for about 100 each, since it does one extra point of damage for every battle you've run from.
>>
>>322784792
Even if you missed Matra Magic every time the opportunity presents itself, Zolom is one big advertisement for a face-wrecking skill that'd be a real asset to have if you were strong enough to survive & learn it. Saying you need a guide for that of all things is reaching.
>>
>>322780161
Nope the combat is shit. Play ffx instead.
>>
>>322785793
Oh and let me add Laser to that list.
Takes of 50% of any enemy's life that doesn't resist gravity, including a lot of bosses. Will instantly kill anything that is weak to gravity, like those guys that swing on the pendulums in the Shinra Mansion.
>>
>>322785764
double facepalm
that doesn't mean that every character is just a slightly weaker version of cloud
because the characters are however you customize them
>>
>>322785764
>>322786254
You can morph stat sources. Every character is the same with the exception of their limit breaks and ultimate weapons.
>>
>>322786418
>Every character is the same with the exception of their limit breaks and ultimate weapons
yes
and that is why the character is whatever you make them
>>
>>322785261
Even if Enemy Skill isn't classified as magic, it's functionally the same thing. It takes uses MP and isn't "Attack".

Bio is fucking garbage. The poison damage really isn't worth the effort.

I never even mentioned support or command materia. I just said that most magic is useless. OP shouldn't even have access to most of that by now.

>>322785793
>>322786082
Those are nice, but really, if you have the first 6 in that list you're set. The other good ones are too situational to bother with if you're not using a guide of simply don't feel like hunting for them. Hell, you can even skip Matra Magic, since it becomes obsolete fairly early.
>>
>>322784013
Aw yeah, I always forget X for some reason. One of my favorite things about it was having access to water magic early in the game.
>>
>>322780419
Is that you Cameron?
>>
>>322785793
Magic Hammer should be on that list. Being able to restore MP is great.
>>
>>322780161

have you never played a JRPG?

i have major nostalgia boners for FF7 and other similar games of that time since i grew up on them, but i'll admit if i came across them now for the first time id probably be seriously underwhelmed.
>>
>>322786969
The other good ones aren't too situational, as there are plenty of opportunities to use them. Except for maybe Death Force. I also forgot to include Flame Thrower and Magic Hammer in that list. Flame Thrower is basically a single target Beta for way less MP. Magic Hammer provides you with essentially infinite MP and the ability to cripple a ton of bosses.

Bio is fucking amazing, since poison damage in this game is based on a percentage of max HP. The higher an enemy's max HP, the higher damage Bio does. You can literally poison most bosses in this game, then just sit there and heal while they die. Bio also provides the easiest method for getting Beta early.
>>
File: 437925_1348940075545_400_300.jpg (18KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
437925_1348940075545_400_300.jpg
18KB, 400x300px
>>322784792

>Use Manipulate materia
>Get Aqualung, Big Guard, White Wind. Oh and get hit by the Zolom with Beta

All of this can be done in less than 10 minutes once you get the buggy. Oh and for added fun there's a secret alarm in Junon that lets you fight disc 2 enemies. But yes so hard and difficult, anon.
>>
>>322787850
You have to realize that some people are functionally retarded and don't like to experiment and try to figure out what everything in the game does. Some people just want everything handed to them.

This is the world and age that we live in. This is 2016.
>>
>>322787850

>Says 20 years later with detailed guides everywhere on the internet with each enemy skill and materia location detailed extensively.
>>
>>322788271

And yet people still find it difficult.
>>
>>322780161
consider suicide.
>>
>>322788850
Because they're used to the games of today holding their hands and giving everything to them with no effort.

>tfw I'll never relive the glory days of breeding a gold chocobo only using the hints from the Chocobo Sage
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.