[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/v/, why are you so insistent that story doesn't belong in games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: rattle.jpg (229KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
rattle.jpg
229KB, 800x800px
/v/, why are you so insistent that story doesn't belong in games?
>>
>>322269560
i'm not in fact story is the second most important thing behind gameplay in games.
>>
Because tons of things have stories. Books are stories, movies are stories, songs are stories sometimes. When I see people championing games on story alone- especially if they're devs -what I see are games that could've been anything else and didn't need to be games but were made into games because the standards for storytelling in vidya are way lower.

If a game can't stand up on the aspects unique to the medium itself it hasn't justified its own existence.
>>
>>322270262
>>
File: Zf5FNat.gif (2MB, 300x268px) Image search: [Google]
Zf5FNat.gif
2MB, 300x268px
>>322269560
It doesn't?
It doesn't belong in online games.
It belongs into all other games.
>>
>>322269560
But story does belong in games. It's just that gameplay should have a higher priority than story.
>>
File: jimmykun.jpg (12KB, 400x332px) Image search: [Google]
jimmykun.jpg
12KB, 400x332px
You shouldn't need anything more than a bare minimum story to make a game worth playing. All you need is a great end goal, and whatever lore and side info you throw in between the beginning and the end of the game is just nice fluff. Super Mario Land doesn't need anything more than "Save Daisy", Rayman 2 doesn't need anything more than "Defeat the Robo-Pirates", the 3D Mario games (64/Sunshine/Galaxy) don't need more than "collect all the shines/stars". Dark Souls II is just "get to the castle" for most of the game, yet there's a lot of interesting, optional side-lore.

Story is nice and it certainly has its place in games, but a deep, intricate story absolutely isn't necessary, and can detract from the gameplay itself if it's too involved. An overabundance of story makes the game confusing and uninteresting if the player doesn't know or care what they're fighting for, and cutscenes and dialogue literally get in the way of playtime. Certain genres are exceptions, like dialogue-heavy RPGs and JRPGs. But this is also why I don't particularly enjoy these games.
>>
File: undertale_2029.png (126KB, 350x255px) Image search: [Google]
undertale_2029.png
126KB, 350x255px
>>322271667
Meanwhile, meme games like this are praised as the best things ever
>>
>>322272456
What's your point anon?
>>
File: 1443297779835.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1443297779835.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
>>322269560

Don't know who you've been listening to. But story can be just fine in games. Gameplay should just be on equal level or higher than it. Or more accurately, a good story should compliment gameplay. Especially in Adventure games and RPGs. The problem is, most games that have story don't do this. They separate story into cutscenes or QTEs. Instead of letting the player interact with the story through gameplay.
>>
>>322272247
That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with a game having "an abundance of story" as long as it's either
a) able to be expressed through gameplay (overlayed dialogue and optional side-lore)
b) incorporated in a way that can be simplified into a series of goals
c) optional for the player to absorb without detracting heavily from the point of the game if they don't

This is all opinion of course. I love the Zelda games, but OoT does the story thing terribly by making the expository cutscenes unskippable, and again, I don't really like RPGs like Persona because it's basically a visual novel with otherwise fulfilling fights in-between. Even Undertale manages to weave the story into the gameplay effectively like Deus Ex: HR. The story isn't just there as fluff, it's actually completely tied to the gameplay itself.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.