[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain this Amiibo craze to me? People are literally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 14

File: Insanity.jpg (81KB, 978x550px) Image search: [Google]
Insanity.jpg
81KB, 978x550px
Can someone explain this Amiibo craze to me?

People are literally losing their goddamn minds over these little things, waiting in dangerous weather to buy out entire stocks of them in stores. I literally only this weekend found out what they were and what they actually did when I stayed at a friend's this weekend and everyone played Smash on his Wii U.

From what I understand, they "unlock" certain things in different games and in the long term will get you other stuff, but the "Smash" figures allow you to level up CPU customizable versions of these characters that unlock you items when they fight each other and other things. So...isn't this basically physical DLC? Why are so many people freaking out over this and going crazy to buy all of them when it seems to me to be the exact thing the gaming community loathes? Why is everyone blinded the excitement and manufactured scarcity and shortage of these things that the "I'VE GOTTA HAVE IT BECAUSE THERE ARE SO FEW OF THEM" thing has taken over?

I mean, maybe I'm getting old, but I was about 8 when Pokemon came out and I went nuts for it, collecting everything for it, as did many kids of that generation. It was exciting because it was a world that let your imagination run wild and there was a lot of stuff that was appealing because it was social and multi-faceted and continuously rewarding for a kid.

What am I missing here? Aside from being nice little decorative pieces for some collectors, what is making people go nuts for them when in fact they do so little (and even Nintendo isn't entirely forthcoming about what they're going to do in the future) and ultimately may serve little purpose other than being the new form of DLC? It's like they're Skylanders or Disney Infinity with less to actually do at the moment.
>>
>>283704386
I think the irony is that people started to scalp amiibos just to punish nintendo fans.
>>
File: 1422806287515.jpg (165KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1422806287515.jpg
165KB, 1920x1080px
Nintoddlers and their toys OP
>>
Nintendo keeps making big promises about more and more things that will use amiibo while doing a terrible job of keeping them stocked. Scalpers want to make money, players want to not miss out, and Nintendo does not seem to know what the hell they are doing. It is all running on fear at this point.
>>
File: grabbler.png (273KB, 473x615px) Image search: [Google]
grabbler.png
273KB, 473x615px
Most nintendo fans are children and autists. Children like Skylanders, autists feel the need to collect stupid shit. Nintendo is all too happy to exploit them and push these shitty Happy Meal toys.
>>
>>283704386
Nintendo fans will eat whatever Nintendo shits out on their plates
>>
File: 1362615181137.png (900KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1362615181137.png
900KB, 1280x720px
>>283704909
>>283704849
>>283704679
/thread
>>
>>283704386
It's okay when Nintendo does it
>>
>>283704576

>>283704576

OP Here. Oh yeah I read that too, some dude bought $30,000 of these things because he "didn't want anyone to have them", and wasn't even going to sell them. Like seriously, what the fuck have these things done to people, why is there such desperation and emotion to get them but such outrage and hatred from someone like that lunatic to spend $30,000+ on stupid freaking toys?
>>
>>283704386
people are suckers i guess
>>
It's all scalper Jews in denial.
>>
>>283704386
People know how much other people love nintendo, so they're hoarding the amiibos untill they get super expensive. And unless nintendo makes more, its going to happen no matter what.
>>
Yeah I don't get it either.
>>
>>283705158
That guy was an autismo who hated Rosalina and all the other female characters for "looking like hentai" or something.
>>
>>283704386
People go crazy over Amiibos because people tell them that people go crazy over Amiibos.

So people buy Amiibos to sell Amiibos and tell people how much their Amiibos are worth, so they can sell Amiibos to people that want Amiibos because people tell them how much Amiibos are worth.

And then everyone has Amiibos until Nintendo can make new Amiibos and sell them to other people who can sell them to people who want Amiibos because people want Amiibos
>>
>>283705158
it give people a sensation of control over people they were conditioned to hate based on entertainment taste. One thing with amiibo, too, is that nintendo didn't put a lot of them on the market. While people only see the "it sold out so it must be a raving craze", you have to keep in mind the complete collection of all amiibo ever made hardly reach a few millions. In term of pure sales, amiibo still sold less than pokemon oras for instance. And for less money in the end.
The sad thing is, when the amiibo start to appear on shelves again, the same people will brag about how it's ow a failure because it's not out of stock.
>>
>everyone shits on Skylanders
>zOMG!!!1! amiibo thread guise

Don't play the "/v/ isn't one person" card either, fuck you, I was there. Literally everyone hated that shit.
>>
>>283705579

But who the hell has $30,000 to blow on stuff like that, autistic or not? That's the real mystery.

>>283706027

Not sure I follow, if you're referring to my OP, I was saying I at least understand some of the appeal of the likes of Skylanders or Infinity for kids, they get to pretend these things "come to life" and can play with them in a sandbox and all kinds of stuff, if I had this with Pokemon when I was a kid I would have probably been all over it. Amiibos aren't at this level of sophistication so I still don't get the meltdown people are having over them.
>>
>>283704386
There's a bit of Pokemon in there in regards to Smash, in that you can grow and customize your own little minion that'll fight how you want, which some people enjoy. For some franchises, like Metroid, this is the first bit of merch they've ever received, and draws some popularity for being little decorative pieces of such. Scalpers are also putting a great deal of effort into making sure Nintendo gets near total sales, which is pretty funny if they're doing it because they dislike nintendo and/or it's fans. The forced scarcity has done it's part too, as you said, but Nintendo is treating making more like they hate money for reasons that escape me.

It is physical DLC, but that flies a bit under the radar with some people because they get the immediate gratification and physical presence of the statue.
>>
autism collectors.

I literally just want Sonic, Shulk and Toon Link. Got one, can't imagine the other will be very hard to find but goddamn I'm gonna have to give in to scalpers for shulk aren't I.
>>
>>283706970
>But who the hell has $30,000 to blow on stuff like that, autistic or not?

There are autists in all walks of life, and that includes the stupidly rich.
>>
>>283707343
Nintendo will probably do repeat runs if you're willing to wait.
>>
>>283707619
Gamestop's already got another rerun for shulk on their site but preorders are long since closed and when I tried in store they said "nah." Maybe I can get lucky on some japanese import site or some shit.

Worst comes to worst I'll just get those cards. Surely they won't be as expensive. Right?
>>
>>283707192

To me it's sad because it literally encapsulates everything wrong with the debate in gaming culture. So many people will denounce day one DLC, or any DLC instead of games being 100% the experience from the get go, but because there is an added "physicality" element with Amiibos, it's like the idea of exploitation is no longer a concept.

It's just crazy to me...if anything it says that the Nintendo consumer base is desperate for something, anything to get them excited about their purchase, and from a business standpoint I guess it makes sense because if it isn't diehards buying them, it's scalpers. It's distracting Nintendo's investors from the fact the console is still hurting in the market.
>>
I don't collect figures, and I sure as hell don't collect Amiibos. That being said, I can understand the appeal for some of the figures. Simply put, a lot of these characters will only get this brief moment to "shine in the light" of physical products. That is, I can understand why people feel the urge to purchase more niche characters such as the trainer or Marth. It's common enough for the big shots like Mario and yoshi to get their own toys, but very, very uncommon for the two I mentioned earlier.
>>
>>283708325
and yet the fucking thing is they print seven zillion marios and peaches but only like four marths.

Seriously I think it's gonna be a long, long time before they get rid of all the peach overstock, and that's not even factoring in the super mario line.
>>
I find it amusing that Pikachu, one of Nintendo's merch titans, ends up being one of the amiibo shelfwarmers.
>>
>>283709061

That's true of any "merch titans."

In my experience the only things you're pretty much guaranteed to find at a store are mario, peach, zelda, pikachu and bowser with luigi, link and kirby being like 50/50.
>>
>>283709061

Yeah, it is kinda weird. But when I think about it, Pikachu has been marketed so hard for so god damn long.
>>
>>283708325

I mean hell I love Meta Knight as a character and he's never had any merchandise but I'm not standing outside of Best Buy early in the morning for one simply because they're the only retailer that will carry them due to some stupid exclusivity deal. It's so exploitative and smarmy, the whole Amiibo thing reeks of slimy.
>>
> that feelaroni when no wft amiibo
>>
>not sure if i should believe in bill trienen about merth coming back or if i should import online
i'm collecting amiibos instead of doing drugs. i'm okay with this. i'm sober now.
>>
>>283704386
Amiibo's were made by nintendo because of their evil scheme to flood /v/ with shitposting amiibo threads.
>>
>>283704386
>Can someone explain this Amiibo craze to me?
no, i don't get it
>>
>>283711993
I thought about getting a few amiibos the other day just to have little figures of my favorite nintendo characters, but I got a gram instead.
>>
>>283704386
>DLC offered
"its okay when nintendo does it"
>DLC not offered
"its okay when nintendo does it"
>>
>>283712685
Too bad Sony stepped up their game with Order 1886 shitposting threads.

And the console wars rage on.

captcha: alugh

You said it, friend.
>>
File: autism.png (288KB, 424x597px) Image search: [Google]
autism.png
288KB, 424x597px
>>283704386
>>
Are amiibos the first real fig craze for non-weebs?

Why are you guys having so much trouble understanding how fig and fig economics work?
>>
File: ss (2015-02-17 at 03.46.31).jpg (23KB, 187x300px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-02-17 at 03.46.31).jpg
23KB, 187x300px
>>283704386
You just don't understand. Amiibos are so good they need constant threads about it.
>>
I seriously don't understand. They are in such poor quality it's bizarre to me. I do like figures, but these amiibos are just really lame.
>>
>>283704386
Too young to remember beanie babies?
>>
>>283713412
basically. Every late 20-something year old holds some grudge against Nintendo when they know that when they knock up their fat autistic girlfriend, the first thing they're going to buy their child is a Mario game
>>
File: 1324680266000.jpg (26KB, 377x451px) Image search: [Google]
1324680266000.jpg
26KB, 377x451px
>>283704386
Nintendolts still pretend they are 10 years old so they have the need to own toys
>>
>>283713701

I don't remember that scene from FLCL
>>
>>283713701
The first one that was vidya specific was Skylanders, there was some scalping going on there for certain figs but nothing on amiibo scale.

I first heard about shit scalpers when I wanted to buy a specific G.I. Joe toy. And that shit ain't weeb at all.
>>
>>283704386
I buy them because I'm a collector. My weeb neet roommate collects them because he feels like and has admitted that he needs to compete with me so I don't beat him. It's sad because he makes his girlfriend pay for most of them, and all of the $40+ for the rare ones
>>
File: 3a7.jpg (77KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
3a7.jpg
77KB, 680x680px
>>283704679
>calling people nintoddlers
>using a nintendo reaction image
>>
>>283714780
>implying all Nintendo fans are okay with Amiibos
>>
>>283713923
Its nintendo though
>>
File: smug-pepe.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
smug-pepe.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
So how long until Sonygures get released and everyone does a 180?
>>
>>283713950

OP here. Nah I had a few as well, but they had appeal because they were also cuddly and you could play with them. I remember when I was little playing pretending with my beanie babies and having a bunch to cuddle with in bed at night. Amiibos can't do any of that either.
>>
>Can someone explain this Amiibo craze to me?

People want what they can't have, a lot of people just want them because they are rare. And because they actually are pretty rare it forces people who were just going to wait it out, and get some later to hop on that shit right the fuck now. From there it just snowballs into a cluster fuck of people just trying to get whatever they can while stock still exists.
>>
File: teehee.png (215KB, 1254x834px) Image search: [Google]
teehee.png
215KB, 1254x834px
>>283704386
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.