[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone ever tried to scam you in a video game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

File: legit.png (48KB, 1001x226px) Image search: [Google]
legit.png
48KB, 1001x226px
Has anyone ever tried to scam you in a video game?
>>
>>257794731
Thats probably his personal email, you should send that onto some mailing sites
>>
>>257794731
i sold my unusual which was probably worth alot to some faggot for a couple inexpensive games
i got killing floor
and thats how i met my friend
he introduced me to dota
now i have 2k hours on it
>>
File: Texas furry infestation.jpg (108KB, 975x494px) Image search: [Google]
Texas furry infestation.jpg
108KB, 975x494px
>>257796392
I sold mine for $400 to this fellow
>>
File: Kcj7opncq[1].png (186KB, 936x590px) Image search: [Google]
Kcj7opncq[1].png
186KB, 936x590px
>>257794731
>Early 2000s
>Playing Runescape
>I'm really young, like 8
>Grind for weeks to afford full black armor
>Only because it looks cool
>Greywolf120 comes up
>I'll trim your armor for x amount of coins
>I give him the armor and the coins
>He runs away and logs off
Fuck man, it really hurt. But then 11 years later:

>Be 19, 2 months ago
>Buying oxys from friend/dealer
>I give him the $100
>He runs off
>I made the same mistake again and it cost me
>I never learned
>>
>>257794731
Oh, totally. Back in Runescape when I was young and naive to how cruel people could be on the internet. Fell for the ol' 'trim your armor gold' scam, but thankfully I just lost a small chunk of gold and my set of iron plate armor. Glad it made me wise up before I had anything really worth stealing.
>>
Someone took my armor into the wilde and tried to kill me and a Jmod teleported in and fried his ass.
>>
>>257794731
I play EVE, so yes. Every day people try to scam me.
>>
i constantly have items up on tf2op so yeah

every once in a while i get a phishing bot just by bumping the trades

my record is 6 bots with one bump
>>
No because I don't play trash games
>>
People dont actually fall for this, right?
>>
>Put up my items in d2lounge to see how much they are worth or if someone has an interesting offer.
>Some guy sends me a message wanting to trade some item for my unusual courier
>Check his trade and its some Heroic common item from some random match and he has several offers that go up to 60keys
>My courier is worth like 12 keys and i think ohh shit his item must be worth a fucking lot
>Check out name of the offers for the Heroic Item
>Bangaaan233, Binggon234, Bunggon442
>Wait a second
>Realize whats happening

For half a second i fell for it
>>
No, but I heard about a funny story involving scams, so I'm reposting that because I don't have a screenshot

>Common trick in Runescape (I think) is to give your high-level account with no gear or whatever to a low level player
>Player will send their gear to high-level account
>Scammer resets password, ends up with their account back and the low-level player's stuff

>Someone tries this trick
>Victim isn't having any of it
>Logs on to scammer's account
>Starts blatantly breaking rules
>Scammer logs on to mule account and begs "victim" to stop
>Scammer's account ends up banned and "victim" suffers no consequences
>>
>>257797165
that's what you get for being a drug addicted degenerate
>>
Not really. When I started runescape I'd just stand in a bank and ask people if they'd cut any raw gems I'd found and it took about half a dozen people actually doing it before someone just ran away with it.

And they never actually said they'd do anything for me, just opened a trade window so I don't think it even counts as getting scammed. It was just an extremely low-value loss that taught me to never trust anyone. Probably the cheapest possible way for me to learn that lesson and it stuck
>>
>>257804037
Hey fuck you, that experience helped me turn my life around
>>
>>257804452
if it took getting ripped off to make you turn your degenerate life around, then that's pretty bad.
it's a good thing you did though, pal.
>>
File: 1323642227001.png (20KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
1323642227001.png
20KB, 500x461px
>>257796658
>$400
>tfw I will never get an item that rare
The most expensive thing I ever got through crates or drops was some $2 skin for CS:GO.
>>
>>257804628
My life was never degenerate. I never stole from anyone or blew money that I wasn't taken in.
After getting clean, I committed myself to being /fit/ and learn stupid skills to keep me busy. I wish /pol/ understood that not every drug user is a scumbag thief, some people are just off the path.
I think my whole experience made me a stronger person than I would have been if I lived a sheltered life.

/v/- video games
>>
File: .lookis.png (9KB, 699x699px) Image search: [Google]
.lookis.png
9KB, 699x699px
no, but heres something i do sometimes

>play tf2 probably like twice a year
>go to idle servers because theyre fun to fuck around on
>no one ever has a mic except for 10 year old kids that comment on everything that happens in the game
>before i decide to quit for the night, i say im doing an item raffle
>the rules are they give me items and i supposedly write their name down on a piece of paper and toss it in a jar or something to pull from, and if its a rare item or multiple items they get more entries
>the little kids always fucking fall for it
>if anyone else happens to send me a trade, i decline
>kids go fucking apeshit when they realize whats going on
>its never even anything big, just a flare gun and a sandman or something
>>
When I was really young, I got scammed out of all the items on my Ragnarok Online account.

Sent my information to a "friend" so they could pay for my subscription, as I didn't have access to a credit card or any money.
Dude stripped everything he could within a few minutes, before I could contact Support and have them lock the account.
>>
>>257805362
>having friends
>>
>>257805362
When I was really young and still playing Ragnarok Online, my Guild used to do OCA events, where the GM would hand out an OCA to every member of the guild and we would all open them and give back the resulting card.

The one I opened had a Ghostring card, and I lied and said I got a Fabre and kept it. Took me months to get an armor worth putting it into.
>>
>>257805067
the most expensive thing i've bought is a strange unusual bonk boy (steaming effect) for around $80
>>
Yes, a lot of times in various MMORPG and such.

I got scammed once in my life for my Gunbound stuff, when I was like, 12, though that was after I quit the game, he promised me MapleStory items in exchange.

I scammed a lot of people in various MMORPGs throughout the years since.
Mostly the Uber-ingame rich type who wanted cash shop items cause they didn't have access to credit cards.

I gave a lot of stuff to newbies though, so I'd like to think of myself as a sort of Robin Hood at least.
>>
>>257805715
>steaming
ew
>>
Played Diablo 2 for 10 years. All day every day people be trying to scam.
>>
>>257805067
Furries have an immense amount of disposable income for some reason.
>>
I stole a guys Adventure Quest account once.
He begged me for days to get it back. Then he started threatening calling the cops, sending me viruses, and beating me up in person. In the end, I gave him his account back after I sold all his gear and items and then constantly bought and sold back the same item to reduce his cash to 0. I hate Adventure Quest
>>
>>257803915
Oh, if that counts as scamming then I'm guilty of it.
I'd always do this shit, but in much cleverer ways.
I'd make sure to try and have both logged on at the same time, have different typing styles, etc.

Worked like a charm, I'd get high end gear at 50% of its worth constantly.
>>
>>257794731
I got a $60 game in exchange for a $7.5, catch is I had my game as a Steam gift, guy only got the CD-key. He just post the key on the chat and told me that he hoped I'd keep my word. I did it.

It's been months and nothing has happened yet.
>>
>>257806227
That last part is mad gay though, I can understand grabbing stuff for your own profit, but just spiting someone is dickish.

It's like how someone hacked into my account and stole the tradeable stuff in an MMO, fine, but he also made sure to delete all the untradeables.

For what purpose man? These items had history in them, I obtained them from events and such... why man?
>>
>>257797165
>being friends with a dealer
>trusting a dealer
You deserved it
>>
>Runescape
>Guy tell me that if I set my password to the open he tells me and log out and in lots of gold will spawn at my feet
>Just a dumb kid I change my password
>Alarm bells go off in the back of my head
>Change my password back to normal
>Log out wait a second then log back in
>Dude has vanished
>Realise this faggot wanted to steal my account
>He logs back in and tried to get me to change it again
>>
>Early days of vanilla wow
>Deep into the trading/buying/selling game
>Markeedragon and shit
>Blizz support used to be closed on the weekends
>I'd say im trading my account (which was really good)
>I'd tell people we can just try each others characters see if they like it.
>Change their password and mine when they're playing my account
>Do this all on friday night
>Have like 5 accounts all weekend because they cant get them back
>Sometimes they were traded accounts themselves so the guy I scammed couldnt get it back anyway.
>I'd wait a little while and sell it on Ebay
>Made over a $1000 bucks doing this

I miss those days so much. The tears of people I scammed were delicious
>>
>>257805315
>go to idle servers because theyre fun to fuck around on
>tfw no one hosts your favorite idle server map anymore
>>
>>257806546
I agree 100% but I didn't realize it at the time
>>
File: GGXXRobo_Ky_by_prinnydo0d.jpg (72KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
GGXXRobo_Ky_by_prinnydo0d.jpg
72KB, 600x400px
>>257794731
I have a lot of really rare/valuable items on Steam so I'm fairly often getting people trying to link me to phishing sites or set up for trades where they'll try to stiff me.

Often times they're completely without subtlety and just go to add me with their account on private. Then sometimes they'll add a whole bunch of other people on my list so that when they try to add me they'll look like a totally legit friend.
>>
File: louie21.gif (195KB, 170x200px) Image search: [Google]
louie21.gif
195KB, 170x200px
>>257794731
yes. He pretended to be my guild master's alt and asked if he could have my most expensive items so he could dupe em and give em to me to sell.

The person he was pretending to be was online.
>>
>Diablo 2
>death pop scam where all your items randomly drop on the ground.
>bait and switch where someone puts an item that looks like shako after putting a real shako
>those charms that could only be traded by dropping on the ground
>teleporting into the town after someone drops items to show you

They all got me
>>
People still try to scam me out of my earbuds
>>
>>257794731
I'm a CSGO Trader. I get scam attempts pretty much everyday, Valve should help to fix the problem
>>
>>257810872

Scamming is part of the fun though
>>
>>257806507
If i've got access to your account and I've made my money, why the fuck not spite them ?

It's their fault for falling for it. Make sure to break some rules aswell to hopefully get it banu'd
>>
>>257810872
Ever seen any scam methods that a normal, mentally stable person could actually fall for?
Or are they all like those obvious russian phishing attempts you see in those screencaps?
>>
File: top trading.png (99KB, 665x820px) Image search: [Google]
top trading.png
99KB, 665x820px
I decided to see what kind of faggots hang out in the steam community forums. Asked for offers on my buds and these are the first 2.
>>
Every single roguelike merchant I run across.
>>
>>257811742
Fucking lowballers
>>
>>257811687
A person adds you, usually being offline at the moment. Then, this guy (or may be girl, who knows) finds out with whom you play in party most often and copies his/her account. Then this scammer goes online (when your friend in reality is offline, of course) and asks you to lend him/her a certain item for one game.
That is probably the sneakiest one.

Another is once both of you are ready to trade they will take out a high quality item and you wont see it unless you scroll all the way down So always check what the other person is giving you.

And also NEVER click any links from ANYONE. EVER
>>
>>257811687
if your attempt is too good, you could fool someone who knows how to fill a complain.
that's why nigerian prince scams are so obvious, so they can manage them and the victims don't fight back
>>
>>257811687
Someone pulled a matrix scheme in the early days of TF2 trading. It was genius. Kids kept falling for it
>>
>>257812657
Could you elaborate?
>>
>>257812863
Pretty much you pay a price to get in a line. When you are first in the line, you get a prize after a set amount of people join the line. Of course sooner or later you run out of people and the system collapses. It's an easy way to make quick bucks.
>>
>>257812863
basically a modified pyramid scheme.
>>
I got scammed by some guy in PSU. Was like some 10/10 higher tier weapon worth like 12 mil. I was like 13 or 14 at the time so I was pretty pissed.
>>
I scammed kids in TF2 before I realized a real job took less effort
>>
>gib passwords plox or i repot u
They dont even try anymore
>>
Nope. I was and still am a very cautious trader in any game I play.

I sold really valuable shit to npc vendors in MMOs because I didn't realize how trading worked back when I was young.

Then I realized my mistake and learned to always understand the value everything you have when it comes to trading.

I sold 2-3 monster cards in Ragnarok Online because they were worth like 10 zenny
>>
Scammers are scum of the earth
>>
So anyone here was/is a shark?
Remember the old days when it was easier, made quite a profit on the short time I did it.
How easy is pulling that shit now?
>>
>>257805201
Losing your way is the very definition of degeneracy, degenerate.
>>
>>257819658
He changed his life for better. It's ok now
>>
>>257819157
Jews pls go. Don't you have a steam trading thread to be in?
>>
No, follow me to wildy, I'll show you how to trim your armor.
>>
>>257821594
Wow thanks! Let's go now
>>
>>257797165
Hey you should join our private server.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vscape

We won't scam or jew you, we promise :^)
>>
>>257807485
What is it anon, maybe I could be your host for tonight?
>>
>>257822120
achievement_idle4life_v2. Some may think it was boring, but it was simple and comfy. Everyone wants crazy big maps now though so I only ever find them with 400 ping
>>
>>257805201
I need to hit rock bottom too, what experiences would you suggest?
>>
>>257823502
Smoke crack
>>
>>257797342
>>257797165
I gave this guy at a local boys club my username and password because he said he would help me level up
A long time later i changed the password and i was leveled up
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.