[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The end of Yuri

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 13

File: b4b.png (3MB, 1920x1058px) Image search: [Google]
b4b.png
3MB, 1920x1058px
After searching yuri titles through all the MAL I've found out that the most part of yuri manga is not scanlated, and, probably, would never be.
At this rate I'll complete all the translated yuri manga and what's next? Seems like dead end, because it's too late for me to learn moonrunes. Why live?
>>
File: Capture.png (78KB, 335x250px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
78KB, 335x250px
Yuri is literally more popular than it's ever been, with many yuri manga getting official releases in the west. Stop being so dramatic, there's always going to be slow periods, that's normal.
>>
You can try visual novels?
>>
>>2307569
Go get a girlfriend.
>>
>>2307604
M-meeee!?
>>
File: Get your shit together!.jpg (139KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Get your shit together!.jpg
139KB, 1280x720px
>>2307604
I have one already but every time I try to do something with/to her she does this.
>>
File: tumblr_ntr00nyYil1ttaj03o1_540.png (143KB, 540x659px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntr00nyYil1ttaj03o1_540.png
143KB, 540x659px
We're entering the golden age, just sit back and support it with your(sugarnee-sama's) wallet.
>>
>>2307569
>it's too late for me to learn moonrunes
It's never too late anon, learn moon and translate for us so I don't have to
>>
>>2307577
All 5 of them.
>>
Write your own yuri fiction.
>>
>>2307685
Poors like me can't support it with wallet. I can only pray for ir. If I had money sure I'd hire some cute lesbian japanese tutor who'd teach me moonrunes.

>>2307738
I don't have proper literature education to write something decent. Sure I can write """something""", but it will be absolutely revolting thing.
>>
>>2308022
As long as you can read and write basic sentences, you can learn to do anything in the literature world. Writing good requires you to read, so just read more and write more. Also, you know you're on the internet, right? This isn't the old times where you have to get someone to teach you. You can theoretically learn any language as the internet have anything you want it to have. The only thing that's stopping you onee-sama, is your own excuses. Do it for the yuri, if not for yourself
>>
File: 1480716893365.jpg (88KB, 834x466px) Image search: [Google]
1480716893365.jpg
88KB, 834x466px
>>2308057
>Writing good
>>
File: Untitled.png (6KB, 787x464px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6KB, 787x464px
>>2308092
I can write good.
>>
>>2307738
Not the imouto but I've been trying to learn to draw so i can make small little yuri comics.

It ain't going so well though considering i can't even draw static images yet.
>>
File: 51e1f7c40df6b97b213b8c5c5a6c2ae6.jpg (346KB, 714x1013px) Image search: [Google]
51e1f7c40df6b97b213b8c5c5a6c2ae6.jpg
346KB, 714x1013px
>>2308022
The path to writing one good sentence lies through writing a million bad words first. I'm not kidding. Not directed at you if you're seriously not into the idea, but for anyone else who might be looking and thinking the same.

>>2308183
Same goes for you! Success comes through learning from many failures, and we all know how badly we need and want more yuri output in the world. Godspeed and good luck, sister.
>>
>>2308197
As much as I love yuri, with work and school. I have no sweet nectar in which to live on.
>>
>>2307738

I'd be down to take a crack at writing some fiction. I'm not always the best at comin up with a decent plot, though. Give me a prompt, and maybe I can drum up some sort of short? I'd love to be able to draw, you know, comics and stuff, but yea... my art is retarded three year old with an Etch A Sketch level...
>>
>>2308159
can you write good well?
>>
>>2308183
Just takes time and practice.
>>
>>2308232
Two lesbian high schoolers who don't know their sexuality walk into a gay male bar by accident.
Go
and if you're a penisphobe, replace gay bar with something equivalent.
>>
>>2308257
>Woah, so men can do that kind of thing with each other.
>Hold up. If two men can do it together, what about two girls?
>You might be onto something there.

And thus the two girls start up an all-female arm wrestling club, opening up a whole new world in this exciting new sports manga
>>
>>2308257
Lol. I'll see what I can do. Won't be able to post anything right away, at work, but I'll get cracking as soon as I can.
>>
>>2308260
I really wish we had more yuri sports manga. I can't think of many outside the periodic one-shot and maybe a side character being gay.
>>
>>2307569
>because it's too late for me to learn moonrunes

Why? Are you 60 years old?
>>
File: Untitled.png (5KB, 660x382px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5KB, 660x382px
>>2308251
Sure.
>>
>>2307648
K-Kanna-Chan? Is that you?!
>>
>>2307738
That's impossible because yuri is Japanese by definition. Non-Japanese can't write yuri.
>>
>>2308283
I was thinking about a yuri sports manga called Yaoi on Ice which features a college ice hockey team struggling to win the championship. Obviously, the main characters are very gay, even if they don't know it, and the team captain has to play matchmaker to get them together so they can win without the angst getting in the way.
>>
File: 1490284332775.gif (425KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1490284332775.gif
425KB, 480x270px
>>2307648
You just have to grab her like this.
>>
>>2308308
I thought yuri extended to the content being animu in general?
>>
>>2308360
? Even so it would still be Japanese.
>>
>>2308308
What if they are writing in Japanese in Japan?
>>
>>2308360
You see, yuri and shoujo ai for the longest time on the net was basically a way to say lesbians. Like how saying yaoi means dudes liking dudes. People splitting hairs over lesbians because of origin are dumb and should soundly be ignored.
>>
>>2307738
But what about freedom from choice? I'm sitting on 2500 words for two weeks now and I can't make up my mind where I want to go with this. There's too many genres that would be enhanced by yuri.
>>
Anyone know which is the best website to learn Japanese?
>>
>>2308398
How would that make them Japanese?
>>
>>2308399
Yuri has ALWAYS meant a specific kind of Japanese subgenre. It does not have and has never had anything to do with non-Japanese media.
>>
>>2308441
www.reddit.com/r/learnjapanese

The most advanced and successful Japanese learning community on the Internet.
>>
>The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is today.

An anon in a DJT thread, back when they were on /a/, gave me this piece of advice. Thanks to it, I've been learning nip for 6 months, and it's the best change I've ever made in my life. It's never too late for you to do something you want to do - even if it's something that you think will take you a long time.

You can do it, nee-san. It's worth it.
>>
>>2308401
Just keep writing and don't hold yourself to an impossible standard that every word you write has to be perfect. Write it anyway and if it looks wrong rework it later or delete it and start over knowing a new thing that didn't work.

Imagine your characters as people with entirely different ways of looking at the world than your own. What would they want to do? Write them doing those things.

Then make sure the main characters are females who are 100% super gay and you'll be set.
>>
>>2308450
Amen!
I used to wish I could translate comics that I wanted, now I can. It's great.
You can do it, nee-nee
>>
>>2308450
Wow, great.
But if it's so easy for you, it's not mean this is same for everyone else.
>>
>>2308441
http://guidetojapanese.org/
Japanese grammar books are expensive so this page is pretty much a replacement for them. Trust me, I know a lot of JA-translators who've used this website as reference.
For kanji (and kana in the past) I've used apps on my phone, they're great for memorizing them since you can use your phone almost everywhere. Especially Anki (https://apps.ankiweb.net/) which also has a desktop version helps with learning kanji.
>>
>>2308401
Here's one of the great things about writing a story - you can always rewrite it later, or write another story with the ideas you didn't use for this one, or rework it into something else! If you're having trouble making a decision, try writing up an outline to see where your story could go, or write small test scenes for your characters to see what they do in different situations.

Also what this anon said:

>>2308460
All of this!
>>
>>2308509
It has nothing to do with easy or hard.

It's all about the work you put in. Learning a language isn't a race. It's not about doing the most in the least amount of time. It's a lifestyle change. It's a new skill that always needs to be reinforced.
>>
>>2308553
Tae Kim's site is okay as an introduction but it actually doesn't cover that much grammar.
This one is more comprehensive: http://www.imabi.net/
>>
>>2308460
>>2308554
>females who are 100% super gay
Does that mean "distinctly female" or is "the Kobayashi" okay? For a self-insert yuri harem light novel.
>>
>>2307604
But I'm a guy...
>>
>>2308813
Silly.

Everyone on /u/ is a cute girl.
>>
>>2308794
Femininity isn't the same as female.

Self insert is boring. That's first person perspective fanfiction tier. If you're going to write the main character without personality you may as well just write without getting advice because the people who read that often care little for the advice you would get.
>>
>>2308816
Interesting response. Thanks. I'll put more effort into the MC then.
>>
>>2308442
It would make the media in question Japanese.
>>
>>2308794
>>2308828
one of the biggest problems with manga/anime imo is that they try to make self inserts as opposed to relateable characters. You should be able to relate to, and emphasize with the MC, they shouldn't be a faceless blank slate with a generic personality that fits everyone that you "insert" yourself into.
>>
>>2308902
Personally I think that perception about protagonists is mostly not really fair.
>>
>>2308905
Ah yeah I don't mean its everywhere and always that way. It just seems extremely common as opposed to other mediums.
>>
>>2308901
Uh, no? Is Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski a British novelist? Media is only Japanese if it's made by a Japanese.
>>
>>2308920
I want a yuri version of Heart of Darkness now where a yandere has to track down her ex-girlfriend senpai who transferred to a faraway school.
>>
>>2308444
Is it not more a style, most western lesbian stuff with lesbians wouldn't fit under it but theres still non-Japanese fiction that gets classed as yuri, granted it mostly still asian but it still gets classed as Yuri by most people.
>>
File: 1454370741568.jpg (54KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1454370741568.jpg
54KB, 848x480px
>>2308920
>Is Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski a British novelist?
>Joseph Conrad, original name Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski (born Dec. 3, 1857, Berdichev, Ukraine, Russian Empire [now Berdychiv, Ukraine]—died Aug. 3, 1924, Canterbury, Kent, Eng.), English novelist and short-story writer of Polish descent
>English novelist and short-story writer

According to the Encyclopedia Britannica he is. But I guess your opinion on 4chan overrules that, eh?
>>
>>2308997
He is Polish retard. And Encyclopedia Brittanica (which has been a joke for 50 years by the way) means "English" in the sense of "wrote in English." English is an ethnicity, and "Englishman of Polish descent" would make about as much sense as "cat of canine descent."
>>
>>2309135
>English literature, the body of written works produced in the English language by inhabitants of the British Isles (including Ireland) from the 7th century to the present day. The major literatures written in English outside the British Isles are treated separately under American literature, Australian literature, Canadian literature, and New Zealand literature.

That was from EB.

>Joseph Conrad (Polish pronunciation: [ˈjuz̪ɛf ˌkɔn.rad]; born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski; 3 December 1857 – 3 August 1924) was a Polish-British writer regarded as one of the greatest novelists to write in the English language.

That was from Wikipedia. He's considered a British novelist because he's a British Citizen and wrote in English.

Looks like you're just retarded.
>>
>>2309137
I don't know if you're just stupid or are being willfully obtuse.

Dirt isn't magic. It doesn't cast a spell on you when your feet touch it. A Pole can't become English by moving to England, and a non-Japanese can't become Japanese by moving to Japan, not even if they pass kenkyuu 1 and become the master of a fucking Shinto shrine.
>>
>>2309137
>>2309141
oh, also
>regarded as one of the greatest novelists to write in the English language.

lol. He's not even in the top 20%z
>>
>>2309141
Idk, man, if he has a British citizenship and in theory was willing to fight for our flag, I'd say it makes him British.

I mean, he isn't from a genetic perspective but if upholds and seeks to refine our culture and embodies the values of a true Grit, that's the most important thing in this case, surely?
>>
>>2309135
>He is Polish retard.
My point. Your nationality has little to do with what media is produced or what country your work is associated with. Levar Burton isn't a German actor any more than Emma Watson is a French actress.

No Game, No Life isn't suddenly not anime or a Japanese light novel because its creator is from Brazil, and ShindoL's stuff isn't not hentai because he's from New York.

A British author isn't a "British Author" because they are English-born and come from a long line of Englishmen, they are a British Author because they live in England and produce English writing on subjects the English relate to for an English market.

If a swiss artist moves to Japan and starts producing a GL manga in the typical style produced for the Japanese market, it is fucking yuri.
>>
>>2309149
I agree.

In theory there's nothing stopping someone from becoming proficient enough in both Japanese and drawing in anime style that they could make a pixiv account and upload yuri works there that would be indistinguishable from those made by actual Japanese artists.

In practice the effort required is quite daunting, so I don't know whether that actually will happen (or has already happened).
>>
>>2309149
>>2309141
M8s he's british. Give it up. Origin doesn't and shouldn't matter.
>>
>>2309147
The only way you could possibly think this is if you're a dumbass who consumes too much American media.

>>2309149
>A British author isn't a "British Author" because they are English-born and come from a long line of Englishmen,

That's exactly what makes an author British.

>they are a British Author because they live in England and produce English writing on subjects the English relate to for an English market.

So an Englishman writing on subjects the English DON'T relate to would not be an "English" author in your eyes? Maybe you should consider your definitions a little more carefully, but then again I don't expect you've ever been taught anything approaching formal logic or rhetoric. And I guess you would also claim that Roman Polanski is a French filmmaker, and of course Clint Eastwood is a Japanese filmmakers because he directed Letters from Iwo Jima.

>moves to Japan and starts producing a GL manga in the typical style produced for the Japanese market, it is fucking yuri.

No it's not. By definition.
>>
>>2309157
>account and upload yuri works there that would be indistinguishable from those made by actual Japanese artists.

Quite possibly, but being indistinguishable from something is not the same as actually being something, so that's irrelevant. Just like how Communion wine is indistinguishable from regular wine but is really the blood of Christ.

>>2309162
You're talking nonsense now. Do you think that a Polish aristocrat considered himself British? Not that it would matter if he had, because the fundamental essence of a thing isn't something that one can just decide to change.

>shouldn't matter

And now you've made a basic category error. What you think /should/ be has no bearing on what /is/.

Which is all to say, Westerners cannot write yuri. Fucking accept the fact that you're not Japanese and that
>>
>>2309170
Bruv if a "manga" artist of non-jap descent goes and immigrates to Japan, then proceeds to get a yuri manga on Japan's market it's yuri even if the author isn't because by your logic it's from japan.
>>
>>2309172
At best it would be a pastiche of what that author imagined yuri to be. And as I already pointed out, even if it was indistinguishable from yuri, that would be irrelevant because being indistinguishable from is a distinct category from being.
>>
>>2309172
You're arguing with someone that believes that nationality is defined by ancestry and genes over experiences and culture. Just drop it, this isn't a belief you'll likely be able to change through a few internet posts and there's nothing to gain even if you do.
>>
>>2308697
Qft.

Picked up Chinese in a year and a half. Basically, I got a good dictionary and started translating what was interesting to me, then I found a neat app called hello talk and started having conversations. Once I started chatting, it just got easier and easier.

日本語 is next on my to do list.
>>
mods pls purge this thread.
>>
>>2309283
Mods are dead.
>>
>>2309283
Don't forget to report and sage
>>
>>2308183
>Can't even draw static images
Aw man, I hate it when my drawings are so shitty they start moving around

For real though, just keep drawing every day until you're good.
(note: there is a pretty high probability that you will never really interpret your own work as "good," even when it is. This only means that you should continue drawing every day.)
>>
Motherfucker, when I said "write your own yuri stories" I did not expect some sour bitch to come in here and go "well ACTUALLY". Do you want more girl/girl content in life or do you want to wave your pedantic dick around? Go do something with your life.
>>
>>2307569
If you wanna see more yuri in English, start doing editing/typesetting for yuri scanlation groups! You'd be surprised how much stuff doesn't get TL'd just because of a shortage of people to work on it.
>>
>>2308794
What's not "distinctly female" about Kobayashi? She never struck me as androgynous or anything.

Anyway, it's your own creative work, not /u/'s. Write whatever you feel should be written.
>>
>>2309299
Probably the fact that if you turned her into a guy, the story wouldn't require much change.
>>
>>2309294
K, help me find the motivation to write. I seemed to have lost it
>>
>>2309187
If nationality was defined by "experiences and culture," then it wouldn't even be a meaningful category. First you would have to define the "experiences and culture" of each nationality, which you can't do and is absurd anyway because to actually have a nation consisting of people fitting your definition would require totalitarian thought policing and control over citizens' lives.

So yes, nationality is defined by ancestry, and you will never be Japanese. Stop watching Hollywood movies and try accepting reality.
>>
>>2308814
>cute girl (male)
>>
>>2309425
This is the worst meme in quite a long while. Please stop.
>>
File: 1488657914166.png (30KB, 813x511px) Image search: [Google]
1488657914166.png
30KB, 813x511px
>>2309421
>nationality is defined by ancestry

>the status of belonging to a particular nation
>synonyms: citizenship

baka
>>
>>2309604
>an ethnic group forming a part of one or more political nations

And citizenship has nothing to with "experiences and culture," it's a legal construction. There are tens of thousands of people who are Japanese citizens but not Japanese.

P.S. Stop using google and get a real dictionary.
>>
Wait no game no life is not a japanese LN now?
>>
>>2309637
It doesn't matter. It's either BR or Jap. Pick either, the end result is the same.
>>
>>2309636
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/nationality?s=t

thats not a really dictionary either i guess.

but ya know, only what you think matters. dumbass.
>>
>>2309637
>>2309639
It's possible that it is a Japanese LN if the Brazilian who wrote it is of Japanese descent.

>>2309641
The dictionary comment was in passing. Overall I suggest you stop trying to muddy the waters with dictionary definitions. If you mean "nationality" as "citizenship," then say so at the beginning, but as nothing I have said has been in relation to the legal construction of citizenship I fail to see how that would help your case.
>>
>>2309648
But anon what if she's a br living in Japan and is an expat? What then?
>>
>>2309648
>it means this
>but official definitions don't mean anything only what i say means anything

your argument is that literally only what you say matters. kindly off yourself.
>>
>>2309650
I don't know, but she's not Japanese just by virtue of living in Japan.

>>2309651
Remind me when God descended from Heaven and dictated to us the Big Book of Official Definitions of English Words. This is why it's important to define how your terms. However, I think the discussion up to this point has been quite clearly about fundamental essences and not legalisms. The specific word used it not particularly important as long as everyone understands what is being discussed. Anyway, what I'm saying is, stop trying to deflect by quibbling over a dictionary entry. It's unrelated to the point at issue and you're beginning to sound disingenuous at this point.
>>
>>2309663
>virtue of living in Japan.
If the government considers her a japanese citizen then she's Japanese. It's not hard to understand. Sounds more like you're trying to say phenotypes of the author are origin for fiction instead of the style and everything else involved with producing it.
>>
>>2309668
>If the government considers her a japanese citizen then she's Japanese.

That's nonsensical. Just try following the logic of your argument. The government defines whether someone is Japanese? If there was a revolution tomorrow and the government decided that all Shinto practitioners were no longer Japanese citizens, would they really stop being Japanese?
>>
>>2309663
The point is you're arguing whether or not something is a genre based on whether someone's skin color is correct rather than where they've grown up or have been socialized.

you're retarded.
>>
>>2309674
Yeah it is nonsensical, but way more likely than what you're saying because you're being nonsensical over splitting hairs for a genre's materials' origin.
>>
What a stupid discussion. Japanese people call western lesbian works "yuri". I guess Japanese people don't know what yuri is either.

If you want to be a purist, stop saying "yuri" at all. It makes no sense doing that if you're not Japanese. While we're doing that, let's call Anime "cartoon" and Manga "comics", seeing as Japanese people call cartoons as "animes".

That's why arguing about this kind of shit is useless.
>>
>>2308257
>>2308260

Alright, sorry it took me a while, but I made it happen. It's certainly not the best thing out there, but hey, I took a shot!

https://pastebin.com/hC9YFCQy
>>
>>2309678
Pretty good for something rough. The arm-wrestling thing could've used a been slipped in better than just how Misao opened with small-talk but considering it's self-contained it's easy to overlook it. The sheering was a nice bit at the end.
>>
>>2309675
It's not about "skin color" it's about being Japanese.
>>
>>2309676
>Yeah it is nonsensical, but way more likely

Please think for a bit about trying to define a notion of "likelihood" for something that is nonsensical. I am interested to see what you can come up with.

>splitting hairs for a genre's materials' origin.

I guess you would also claim that people opposed to discussing anime on /co/ are "splitting hairs," but in any case these distinctions exist and are important. Consider starting a "lesbian media" board on infinity chan if you are uninterested in the distinction between yuri and others forms of media.
>>
>>2309812
>uses /co/
>a place where the line is blurred
>instead of /a/
>The place that has a hard stance
Wanna just come out and say you're a stick in the mud while your up ass?
>>
>>2309674
And by your logic, the American literature is actually various flavors of European with a sprinkle of African.
>>
>>2309677
> Japanese people call western lesbian works "yuri"

They're actually more likely to refer to Western lesbian media using the terms レズビアン or 同性愛 and reserve yuri for 2D and 2D-related things like LNs.

> I guess Japanese people don't know what yuri is either.

It's entirely possible that some don't.

>If you want to be a purist, stop saying "yuri" at all. It makes no sense doing that if you're not Japanese.

This doesn't follow from any of your previous statements as far as I can see.

>That's why arguing about this kind of shit is useless.

Words have meaning. The simple fact is that yuri is media made by Japanese people and NOT media made by Westerners, regardless of where they happen to be standing or what language they happen to be writing in.
>>
>>2309816
Yes, one could quite easily argue this position.
>>
>>2309818
>Words have meaning
>Simple fact

Motherfucker you are writing in English, not French. There is no Académie française for the language we are using, and you don't get to define words. The culture gets to define words, and right here on this board you appear to be an odd one out insisting the general culture is wrong. You can swim against that current all you want - but it's still the current. You can can say it's wrong until you're blue in the face, but the great vowel shift didn't wait for no slowpokes.
>>
>>2309822
For the purposes of /u/, yuri was defined at the time of the board's creation, and the fact that you're trying to change the board's topic to something else because of popular demand makes you cancer.
>>
>>2309824
pst, take a look at the catalog, look at all that western stuff.
oh btw there's a western novel thread around too.
oh and various video games, both from japan and the west.

note, no matter what your teachers told you in elementary school. if everyone else in the world thinks your wrong, you are in fact probably wrong.
>>
>>2309825
>pst, take a look at the catalog, look at all that western stuff.

It shouldn't be there.

>oh btw there's a western novel thread around too.

It shouldn't be there.

>oh and various video games, both from japan and the west.

Video games from Japan are fine. Western ones shouldn't be there.

>if everyone else in the world thinks your wrong, you are in fact probably wrong.

If everyone else in the world insists 2+2 = 5, it doesn't change the fact that 2+2 = 4.
>>
>>2309824
>For the purposes of /u/, yuri was defined at the time of the board's creation,
That was when yuri meant 2d lesbians in the same vein that yaoi means 2d gays. Because at the time yuri was a hentai niche genre that was about two girls having sex. It didn't grow into what you're trying to police until later. Drop it, you're wrong.
>>
>>2309831
the thing here is that you're the one saying 2+2=5
>>
>>2309831
2+2=4 is a mathematical constant defined not by human language or culture but by the nature of physical laws and reality itself. Now, while I certainly admire the implication that 'yuri' is hardcoded into the universe, it's actually a cultural construction, subject to all the change and modification that culture undergoes.
>>
>>2309833
>grow

This is a great way to put it. The Western shit "grew," the same way a tumor does.

>>2309836
Board rules:

>1. All images and discussion should pertain to the yuri genre. Yuri is lesbian and/or softcore in nature, and of Japanese origin.
>>
>>2309831
You can prove 2+2=4.
You've gone out of your way to say you're ignoring hardcoded reality and definitions and that is simply what you believe is correct therefore it should be correct.
You cannot offer any proof of what you're saying except scream until we all give up arguing with you because you are in the literally meaning of the word, retarded.
>>
>>2309841
>2+2=4 is a mathematical constant defined not by human language or culture but by the nature of physical laws and reality itself.

Well, 2+2=4 is a statement you can prove beginning from certain axioms, there is really no basis for making any claims about "the nature of physical laws and reality itself."

>it's actually a cultural construction, subject to all the change and modification that culture undergoes.

Would you still be saying this so flippantly if a flood of newfags came to /u/ and decided to change the "cultural construction" of yuri so that it included futa?
>>
>>2309824
Ahhhh, there we go, moving the goalposts. So now it's not about the true definition of yuri at all, but about how the word was defined when the board was created.

Bitch, I posted a one-line reply in this throwaway thread encouraging somebody to make art in the genre which, last time I checked, we're all here for, a genre deeply lacking in decent content, suffering from a dearth of good writers, good output, and generally struggling by on the subcultural edge - both in Japan and the west. And here you are, many posts later, dragging the thread through irrelevant political debate, 'read-the-dictionary' bullshit, and babby's first epistemological misunderstanding.

All I did was encourage somebody to make some art they like. Go do something fun with your life, sister.
>>
>>2309847
>You can prove 2+2=4.

This is irrelevant. The point was that popular acclaim has nothing to do with the truth of a statement.

>You've gone out of your way to say you're ignoring hardcoded reality and definitions

You're the one who's choosing to ignore the actual definition of yuri written right in the board rules.
>>
>>2309849
>Would you still be saying this so flippantly if a flood of newfags came to /u/ and decided to change the "cultural construction" of yuri so that it included futa?

No, because I would have lost. You lost, a long time ago.
>>
>>2309852
you claimed the japanese claim yuri and only the japanese can make yuri.
the website describe yuri as japanese because it was supposed to be for japanese topics and art, not because the word has inherently a japanese only definition.

this was originally a weeb website, so obviously it was meant to be japanese in orgin. but that's not what the word means.
>>
>>2309851
>Ahhhh, there we go, moving the goalposts.

That post was in reply to someone claiming that "the culture" gets to define what yuri means. No-one is moving any goalposts. This discussion has always been about yuri meaning OF JAPANESE ORIGIN.

> So now it's not about the true definition of yuri at all

Define "true definition," please. I have not the faintest idea what a word's "true definition" would be.
>>
>>2309855
>the website describe yuri as japanese because it was supposed to be for japanese topics and art, not because the word has inherently a japanese only definition.
>this was originally a weeb website, so obviously it was meant to be japanese in orgin. but that's not what the word means.

Wow, the mental gymnastics here... I can't believe there are people so attached to Western shit that they will unironically claim that "of Japanese origin" somehow means something completely different from of Japanese origin.
>>
>>2309856
You know what it is, don't be obtuse it makes you dumber. Better question is what cancer is eating your ass so much you refuse to acknowledge the validity of what they're saying? Your me vs them shite is trite since you forget people can have nuanced opinions.

Can you please sage if you're going to continue to be stubborn with your goalpost moving.
>>
>>2309818
>They're actually more likely to refer to Western lesbian media using the terms レズビアン or 同性愛 and reserve yuri for 2D and 2D-related things like LNs.

Not really. The people I follow on twitter uses yuri for pretty much every lesbians related fiction (Hell, even for CMs). Most of them are yuri mangakas...you know, the ones who defined the genre.
The most likely to say レズビアン are the general people. Not otaku. Normies, like you calls them.

>Words have meaning.

That changes everytime. Get up with the times, grandma.
>>
>>2309860
i don't even know what you're trying to say.
the website's definition is not the world's definition of yuri. the website had a definition made because it wanted the board to go in a certain direction. the japanese use the word to describe fiction of lesbians. most people here use it to describe the anime style of art depicting lesbians.

the word doesn't have a concrete meaning in english, but your claim that only japanese people living in japan who've grown up in japan can make yuri products is just completely incorrrect and is based on absolutely nothing. in fact it ignores obvious facts such as countless manga and anime made by non-japanese people but still get called that on a regular basis.

you're just a complete fuckin retard ain't you
>>
>>2309862
>You know what it is

I quite frankly do not. Please define your terms.

>don't be obtuse it makes you dumber

This is simply an uncalled-for imputation of malicious intent.

> Your me vs them shite is trite since you forget people can have nuanced opinions.

Either things made by Westerners are yuri or not. There is no room for "nuanced opinion" here. No-one insists that Western shit belongs on /a/ and that people should have nuanced opinions about whether Tom and Jerry counts as anime.
>>
>>2309869
>Either things made by Westerners are yuri or not. There is no room for "nuanced opinion" here. No-one insists that Western shit belongs on /a/ and that people should have nuanced opinions about whether Tom and Jerry counts as anime.

You realize the words have different meanings outside 4chan right?
a Japanese dude would call tom and jerry anime. it doesn't mean that it'd be accepted on 4chan.
>>
>>2309864
>the website's definition is not the world's definition of yuri.

We're talking about yuri in the context of /u/, where it's explicitly defined as of Japanese origin. Why don't you go to "the world" instead of /u/ if you are so eager to discuss Western shit which. This board is for discussion of works of Japanese origin.

> the japanese use the word to describe fiction of lesbians

Really doesn't matter. Word use changes between groups. They still consider media of Japanese origin and non-Japanese origin as distinct.

>the word doesn't have a concrete meaning in english

It has a concrete meaning on /u/ as defined in the board rules, and the only concrete meaning a word ever has is the definition it is given in a certain context.

>but your claim that only japanese people living in japan who've grown up in japan

My claim is actually that only Japanese people can make yuri products. Not necessary for them to have grown up in Japan or be living in Japan.

>in fact it ignores obvious facts such as countless manga and anime made by non-japanese people but still get called that

The fact that it's CALLED something is irrelevant. It's not yuri.

>you're just a complete fuckin retard ain't you

It takes a certain special kind of retard to make a ridiculous claim like the statement "yuri is lesbian and/or softcore in nature, and of Japanese origin" should not be taken at face value but should instead have a completely different interpretation based on absolutely nothing.
>>
>>2309872
>You realize the words have different meanings outside 4chan right?

I completely agree.

>a Japanese dude would call tom and jerry anime. it doesn't mean that it'd be accepted on 4chan.

And similarly, the fact that a Japanese person might call a Western film yuri doesn't mean it should be accepted on /u/.
>>
>>2309879
You've completely changed your stance into saying that you jsut don't want anything by a westerner on /u/ even if its identical to a manga in japan and even the art is the same.
fuck off weeb.
>>2309877
no we're not. we're talking about yuri in general and you've turned this into a /u/ being the center of the yuri universe.

it doesn't matter what the weeb rule was when 4chan was first around (which was supposed to be about fellating about how japan is so amazing) yuri on /u/ is now just fiction of lesbians.
no matter how you look at it you're fucking wrong dumbass.
>>
>>2309883
>You've completely changed your stance into saying that you jsut don't want anything by a westerner on /u/ even if its identical to a manga in japan and even the art is the same.

This has actually been my stance from the beginning.

>it doesn't matter what the weeb rule was when 4chan was first around (which was supposed to be about fellating about how japan is so amazing) yuri on /u/ is now just fiction of lesbians. no matter how you look at it you're fucking wrong dumbass.

You've now basically been reduced to babbling incoherently about how the rules don't real and anyone who disagrees is a dumbass.
>>
>>2309678
Hey anon if you ever feel like writing more or asking for prompts you could probably get some in the fanfic thread. You might wanna specify how general the prompts could be though.
>>
>>2309886
The lack of self-awareness you exhibit is laughable.
>>
>>2309895
Can you be more specific, or are generic insults the best you can manage?
>>
>>2309886
>the rules
>catalog is filled with western shit
>b-but the rules
>the rules means that i'm right!

but lets look back a bit
>>2308308
this is what started this argument. maybe you jumped in as someone equally retarded but this is the start.
>yuri is japanese by definition, non japanese can't write yuri
note how this is completely different than what you're saying.
now this later branched into what is nationality and such, but in the end its about that only japanese people can write yuri. which is beyond ridiculous no matter how you may look at it. it also has nothing to do with tthe board, just a blanket statement that only the japanese can write yuri. And the countless number of great "yuri" stories that are a core part of /u/ and have been for years, as well as the loved "yuri" stories by japanese, are apparently not actually yuri because you think the board rules that was meant to keep this board a weeb haven make the rules of what is and isn't yuri.
totally disregarding the actual authors of the stories and their opinions.

I can only assume you're trolling at this point, because there is literally no way in hell someone can be as retarded as you are.
>>
>>2309700
Yea, I'll admit the arm wrestling part felt pretty shoe horned. I just couldn't think of way to tag it on the end without it taking away from what I felt was the important part or dragging it out further. Thanks for reading, though!

>>2309891
I've thought about it, but I usually wuss out. I'd really like to improve my writing, though. Honestly, I'm not even sure why I made the effort to put it out there, but hey, I enjoyed writing it. Random vagueness was actually pretty fun.
>>
>>2307569
Write and draw your own yuri, you slob.
>>
>>2309932
One of the things that might've helped the arm-wrestling fit in better would be; when in the the bar and they were scanning the environment, just have two guys arm-wrestling or something while leading into their realization that they entered a gay bar.
No need to feel scared about asking for them in the thread, outside of maybe being wary about picking one with specific character.
>>
>>2309940
Hey good idea. It would also draw out the bar time a little more, making it feel more fleshed out instead of rushed, while also shortening up the time getting there. Thanks.
>>
>>2309912
warosushitter, is that you?
>>
If anyone knows any good not translated yuri lemme know. My group translates yuri exclusively but we're still finishing up our c91 stuff. If something interests us enough we'll shift our priorities.

http://www.doujinshi.org/book/778669/

On that note if anyone happens to know where we can buy this book/download raws we'll focus on it, apparently it's filled with mental illness yuri
>>
>>2311850
Couldn't post this in the translation or buyfag thread?
>>
>>2311854
Unfortunately I'm still a newfag, the rule on the buyfag thread was no questions so that discouraged me
>>
>>2311856
Just do it. That rule was only in place to discourage the leechers. There should be no problem if you're asking Raw for a translation project. See it as helping people to come to attention of worthwhile yuri to buy, which plenty people in that thread are doing.
>>
>>2312571
Fair enough, I'll give it a shot when I get back from work. I tried reading the guide but I couldn't access that site with the used goods for some reason
>>
>>2308022
>Poors like me can't support it with wallet. I can only pray for ir. If I had money sure I'd hire some cute lesbian japanese tutor who'd teach me moonrunes.
Get a job so you can further the cause.
>>
time to learn japanese my dudes
>>
>>2313261
Oh no! Are they attacking Pearl Harbor again?
>>
>>2313270
The cultural equivalent of, yes.
>>
I'm impressed, you managed to fill 150 posts of bickering and whining without hitting any of the standard /u/ 'bait'. Originality isn't dead.
>>
>>2308909
I think "make your main character incredibly generic and bland" might be actual advice given out in the industry. I have a translated how-to-draw manga book that says in the character design section:
>Metaphorically, the protagonist is like the white rice of a meal, while the opponent characters are like the side dishes. An opponent character, like a side dish, is more interesting if it changes from day to day. however, if the protagonist were not like white rice, but like fried rice or chicken and rice, wouldn't you grow tired of it? That is why the uniqueness of the protagonists pictured at the bottom of p.111 were minimized somewhat.
>>
>>2314549
It kind of is. And it's horrible story telling.
>>
>>2307569
there are so many resources for learning jp just read a fucking book nigga, just takes effort
>>
Well, I blatantly plagiarized characters and some story elements from >>2309678, I wrote it all in one sitting, and I didn't read it over to check for mistakes or inconsistencies. This is probably one of the worst pieces of shit I've ever written, but I wrote something dammit.

https://pastebin.com/iXZkEPpT
>>
>>2309678
Haha nice job. Pretty cute all around though does feel a bit forced at times.
>>
File: miau2.png (1MB, 1117x1500px) Image search: [Google]
miau2.png
1MB, 1117x1500px
>>2307569
It's never too late to learn to draw and/or learn a new language. Sure it's years of grinding, but it's honestly been a fun journey, and because learning is an ongoing process you won't have to worry about dead ends for a long time.

I finished pic related yesterday, and I'm starting to think I should finally start moving onto making manga. Possibilities are endless.
>>
>>2308350
Somebody really has to make a yaoi on something, and make it yuri. That will teach those fuckers.
>>
>>2315470
YOU MADE THIS!?
>>
>>2315470
Please make smug lesbians. I don't like seeing crying lesbians anymore. I was a bit inspired by what you said though.
>>
File: ReKGW3M.jpg (107KB, 392x495px) Image search: [Google]
ReKGW3M.jpg
107KB, 392x495px
>>2307604
It's not that easy senpai ;_;
>>
>>2315470
Out of curiosity, how long have you been practicing drawing?
>>
>>2321452
I like a certain degree of angst in my yuri as long as there are happy endings.

>>2322461
This is my 6th year. My progression is honestly pretty glacial considering there are plenty of artists that started the same year as me having gone on to become much better and famous.
>>
>>2322515
You spent six of your life learning how to draw. Create as much angst as you'd like.
>>
If you're worried about the volume of yuri manga/doujinshi that is scanned or translated, you can always commission the scanners and translators, yourself.

If you need a place to start, sadpanda's forums have listings for scanlators

tl;dr: Supply is driven by demand. Basic economics (that and people have to actually pay to buy these books for scanning).
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.