[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fanfiction Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 458
Thread images: 18

File: tumblr_ofkiy19LZk1qbw3gho9_1280.jpg (471KB, 1205x1278px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ofkiy19LZk1qbw3gho9_1280.jpg
471KB, 1205x1278px
Last thread >>2261078
Someplaces to fic
fanfiction.net
archiveofourown.org

SO the last thread ended and I was just wondering has anyone read or seen a good Peanuts fic with Peppermint Patty and Marcie?
>>
>>2262272
All I can say is someone is going to sperg out because you didn't use their Xena fanart for OP image.
>>
>>2262307
How retarded are you?
>>2262272
I think there might've been something close to what your looking for on Ao3 but I seem to have forgotten. Mostly told from Patty's pov iirc
>>
>>2262337
>How retarded are you?
How new are you?
>>
File: peanuts marcie and sir.jpg (101KB, 593x960px) Image search: [Google]
peanuts marcie and sir.jpg
101KB, 593x960px
Might be hard for such an old show but there are some on AO3 saw about 8 nothing special sadly and

fanfic might have more, saw Just One Kiss
By: Senshi Sun aka Magic Ink. well now I feel like comic hunting if I find any fics will post em
>>
One of my fanfics is getting more views but less kudos than my other fanfic and I don't get why. I would think that more views would equal more kudos.
>>
>>2262272
This one is pretty good http://archiveofourown.org/works/941089
>>
>>2262392
Depends if they like it lots of people can see something and then just move on but you will probably start getting kudos once people with similar tastes find it. Kudo can come after along time or very suddenly. You can always check the story for any errors in grammar as that is a big thing.
>>
>>2262395
Thank you it was delightful
>>
Someone beat me to writing the Ebisu-san to Hotei-san fic I wanted to write, but it's perfect so I'm not even mad

http://archiveofourown.org/works/8844094
>>
>>2262392
More views probably means that it caught more people's interest based on the title, summary, tags etc. More kudos means that more people liked that fic after reading it, even though there were fewer people who read it in the first place.
>>
>>2262484
Now there's something I wasn't expecting to see fic for after all these years.

Don't let it stop you writing one. I think we can handle two per decade, at least.
>>
>>2262537
I dunno, that's a pretty flawless execution of all the observations of their relationship I had wanted to make. No kitchen kisses though. I really wanted kitchen kisses. Maybe I'll keep going!
>>
I want to read something smutty heavily involving breasts.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
>>
You are sad folks.
>>
>>2262272
Does anyone have Flight SQA016 the fanfic version? I have a version that has not been revised with several typos. Does anyone have the last version that she released before deleting?
>>
>>2262623
Remember where you are. You're one of us.
>>
Does anyone remember or has read a Twilight fic where Bella and her sisters are witches and Alice and her family are obvious vamps and theres some fun shit that goes down?
>>
Mongol has started another Luvia / Rin fic which is always good:
https://archiveofourown.org/works/9577418/chapters/21655580

(Only part that bothers me for now is at the end, blue eyes would refer to Luvia, wouldn't it?)
>>
>>2264121
>Twilight fic where Bella and her sisters are witches

What is the point of writing fanfiction, where the source material is awful and the characters are one dimensional and very dull? Other than completely rewriting the characters, but if you are going to do that, why not just write your own original story?
>>
>>2264149
>why not just write your own original story?

Brand recognition.
>>
>>2264149
Why not do it anyway? If people want build upon a pre-existing universe, or remodel it, what's the matter with it?

Most of my favourite fanfictions are overhauls of the original universe. If I wanted to read the same something in the exact same way the original author did, I would just read their books.
>>
>>2264180
I think anon is asking why pick a terrible series if you're going to do that, instead of a good one.

I think in the end it comes down to the fact that there's some things even in a bad series that the fanfic writer likes and wants to explore further.

Or maybe they genuinely like the series, who knows.
>>
>>2264121
Trying to look for this, anyone have a link?
>>
>>2264277
I do, gimme some moments and I'll find it.
>>
>>2264277
>>2264121
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6465516/1/Magick

Is it this one?
>>
>>2262537
Not that anon, but I decided to give the manga a shot and try writing my own fanfic for it. Here it is, hope someone enjoys:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9671750
>>
>>2264146
Uh, it's supposed to be Rin. Wanna betaread it for me?
>>
>>2264554

That might mean making an account and stuff and not being a flaky piece of shit so probably no.

(I always think of Rin as having red eyes because it's not like I watched the series or anything.)
>>
>>2264180
>what's the matter with it?
I am not saying that people shouldn't do it. But as someone who writes fanfiction, and as someone who has read about half of Twilight and seen the films, I could never muster up the enthusiasm needed to write Twilight fanfiction. Even if I liked it, the characters are just flat.
If I had to write fanfiction of a popular brand, I would much rather force myself to write in any other massively popular franchise than Twilight. I just don't see anyway I could write in it. Without completely rewriting everything from the ground up.

Also how bad is unapologetic self advertising?
>>
File: 1456238232777.png (463KB, 723x511px) Image search: [Google]
1456238232777.png
463KB, 723x511px
>>2264586
Oh ok. Well her eyes are blue anyway, though the new Ishtar-Rin has red eyes, and then there's the Rin from Fate/Extra, and so forth. The Nasuverse is a mess and I hate every moment of it.
>>
>>2264598
Explains my mistake.

Sometimes I'm really glad there's fanfiction because it can really reduce the fucked-up mess nature of some works by simply ignoring it.
>>
>>2264548
I liked it. It's funny and the choice of protagonist was inspired. However, you might want to go over the honorifics again. I think -chan with a last name is usually not a nice way of talking to someone, and certainly not what a little girl would use when trying to make an impression on an adult. You could probably replace all the -chans with -sans, aside from Hana-chan obviously.
>>
>>2264149
Sometimes you get source material with an awesome setting and a shit load of potential, but it's absolutely wasted. That's where fanfics really shine, when they have a chance to redeem shit like that.

OUaT and 100 are good examples. Pretty much everyone agrees that they're crappy scifi dramas, but they've got some really amazing fics because there's so much to work with.
>>
>>2264589
>unapologetic self advertising
Bad. We've had people like that before.

The odd post where it directly relates to something being discussed, maybe. Unprompted spam and chapter updates are shitty.
>>
>>2264666
I thought so. I was just mildly tempted to do such a thing.

I want feedback on my latest chapter, but I haven't got any and I feel a bit disappointed by that fact, as it was one of the most controversial chapters I have written, from my own perspective.
>>
>>2264702
Don't worry about that weirdo, self-promotion has never been a problem in these threads. Only times something gets a lot of attention is if it's really popular anyway, and there's usually nothing else to discuss. Besides, you have an actual reason to post beyond simple advertising too.
>>
>>2264717
Ok.

I have posted a link to it before,
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12253308/1/Sakurako-Lost-and-Regained
But as I said in my last post, I want feedback on the latest chapter, as I want to alter it. Mostly to correct the grammatical mistakes.
But I would immensely appreciate any criticism.
>>
>>2264717
Anon did have a point. Spam and chapter updates are unneeded. Asking for critique or you know feedback and then giving the chapter is more reasonable. So you're both right.
>>
File: Chan or San?.png (260KB, 755x288px) Image search: [Google]
Chan or San?.png
260KB, 755x288px
>>2264603
I'm glad you enjoyed it; thanks for the feedback!

I'm below novice when it comes to Japanese naming and honorifics and all that stuff (I actually thought Hana's full name was Hana Mayo until I realized surnames come first), so I'm not surprised I fucked up on that regard. I was just going off of what people said in the extra chapter.

I'll just do that quick-fix you suggested. Again, thanks!
>>
Does anyone remember that Hermione/Luna fic that was on google docs? I've been trying to search for it for ages but haven't been able to find it. I read it years back and I can't remember anything else but it being a really long and enjoyable one-shot(?).
>>
>>2264947
Uh. Crazy Little Things?

That's the only one on the top of my head.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3973687/1/Crazy-Little-Things
>>
>>2265046
I don't think it was this one, though I do appreciate other recommendations as well.
>>
>>2265188
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4747068/1/The-Lovegood-Charm

This is the only other Hermione / Luna fanfic I can remember from the top of my head.
>>
>>2264146
Made my month right there. Well-written Luvia/Rin slowburn? It's a fucking miracle.

Honestly, I've loved every one of Mongol's works and I'd have written a review if I could scramble together two brain cells for a hot second. One day. In the meantime, I know the author lurks these threads sometimes, so thanks Mongol!
>>
>>2265907
Thanks. If you at all could manage to offer me some feedback on it later on, I'd really appreciate it. I've been working on the fic as a side project for long enough that I've become blind to both the good and bad qualities that it has, so any sort of critique is more than welcome. The next chapter will be up sometime on the weekend.
>>
File: Command Spells.jpg (976KB, 1620x1142px) Image search: [Google]
Command Spells.jpg
976KB, 1620x1142px
>>2264146
>>2265907

You know what I want to see? A story where Luvia replaces Bazette as master of the Lancer servant. Have her thrust into the Grail War, and get a 3rd War repeat where a Tohsaka and a Edelfelt fight for the Holy Grail. And likely with the exact same outcome of a Tohsaka snagging an Edelfelt. After all, there's no more belligerent love then that born on the Battlefields of a Holy Grail War.

There's even a canon Command Spell for Luvia.
>>
File: 61149345_p0.png (302KB, 1100x806px) Image search: [Google]
61149345_p0.png
302KB, 1100x806px
>>2265982
I thought of that as well, but I honestly felt that F/SN has been redone with some minor alteration so many times that I wouldn't be able to possibly offer something original enough to care about. On top of that, an adaptation like that will often take up 100k-200k words, a lot of which is just retelling the old storyline with minor changes. Being the contrarian that I am, I felt a post-canon setup would give me more freedom to do my own thing and thus make it easier to maintain interest in writing the work.
>>
>>2265948
Not that anon, but having read all your previous stuff, I'm really looking forward to seeing something a bit more serious with these two (with double tsundere fun on top).

First chapter is exposition heavy, but it's framed nicely enough and gets everything up and running.

I can get a bit autismo about repetition - 'right to suggest elimination' / 'last thing needed was a vendetta' sentence pairs repeating jarred me slightly, but that's probably just me.
>>
>>2266599
>that's probably just me
Not at all. There are things like that which could use tidying up but often I can't notice them before someone else points them out. Another thing is that if I waited until I was completely satisfied with my work to publish it, I would never publish anything.
>>
>>2267201

I know that feel. I have several massive Fanfiction stories that have never seen the light of day because of that.

>>2265983

I still think the idea has merit. It doesn't have to be just a re-telling, you can't say that each of the three routes is just a retelling of the previous one. One small change can create a vastly different scenario. For example, Kirei with no Lancer would act very differently in how he approaches the Grail War, and that would change things considerably.
>>
>>2267207
>I still think the idea has merit
I agree. I just felt more confident in doing my own thing instead of trying to figure out how the scenario changes based on a small change. The more I write, the more I feel that I need to move into entirely original writing sooner rather than later so that I can have my hands completely free.
>>
>>2267213

True that.

I'm actually interested in what you come up with, given that the Clocktower has a lot of potential that is never explored, what with the cut-throat nature of politics there. That first chapter did catch the paranoid nature of any Maji who live and study there, which will be interesting to develop. For that stifling atmosphere is what Rin ultimately liberates Luvia from even without them falling into bed together.
>>
>>2267216
I really shouldn't be even discussing this since I'll only get people's hopes up and inevitably disappoint. But yeah, that's pretty close to what I had in mind. I'm not reinventing the wheel here or anything. I'm just trying to prove to myself that I can handle 30k words or so without crashing and burning too horribly.
>>
>>2267217

Small steps. I did a 40k story first, then 90k, then 130k, and my newest will be about 150k by the time it's done.

You'll find every time you write your stories will get longer and longer naturally. Keep going and trust in your skills.
>>
>>2264149
>What is the point of writing fanfiction, where the source material is awful and the characters are one dimensional and very dull? Other than completely rewriting the characters, but if you are going to do that, why not just write your own original story?
Ever hear of a fix fic?

If there's something, anything, in a series that you enjoy then fanfics are the perfect medium, because you can fix what it is you don't like
>>
>>2269180
Fixfics have to make an EXTRAORDINARY effort to not be shit.
>>
>>2269192
I think it depends on the nature of what they're fixing. If it's a single egregious mistake in an otherwise solid story, it's easy enough, because they have a good base to work from. If it's already shit they're working from, the harder they have to work to made a decent story from it.
>>
>>2269192
Doesn't mean it's not worth it, in some cases.
>>
New Negitoro fic
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12370359/1/Rozovyy-Company

Luka runs an outlaw shop, Miku is a Yakuza
It's a very plainly based around the manga Black Lagoon.
>>
anyone remember that surreal miku fic about books within books becoming reality? i forgot what it's called
>>
>>2270119
Never mind. I found it.
>>
>>2269192
>>2269387

I can't remember a single fic I've ever liked that called itself a fixfic. They're all massive AUs that go all "for want of a nail" in the very first chapter and decide that any change they make needs to reverberate throughout the whole universe/make other, unrelated changes. Then they focus way too much on the effects of those changes, because that's what the author was always interested in, and ignore the cannon story elements (or what's left of them).
>>
>>2270195
There was a shitload of great Doctor Who fixit fic after the end of Donna's arc, hence what I meant about one mistake being easier to fix than an entire universe. The greater your ambition the more you have to adjust and the more likely you are to burn out.
>>
>>2270121
>>2270119
I'm interested. What's it called?
>>
>>2270057
that's very black lagoon and now i want more black lagoon fanfic
>>
>>2270409
https://archiveofourown.org/works/97326

Reposting because short fun.
>>
>>2270433
>https://archiveofourown.org/works/97326
>>evil mooncake bandit
still gold years later
>>
>>2270433
I remember reading this last year. It's absolutely wonderful.
>>
>>“Is the sex authentically Chinese enough for you yet, you fucking cultural imperialist?”
>>
>>2270409
Black Lagoon is very good, yet I usually don't really care for fanfic about it all that much. Luka feels like Dutch and Revy rolled into one and Meiko is more like Eva than Revy. There was some serious Len bullying going on, what's up with that? He even got changed into a girl. Same with Kaito.
>>
>>2270493
Len bullying at normal levels, other changes work for me, are features.

(Aside from that one i'm happy with the last TTS update, there wasn't more mystery being solved but at least someone is taking concrete steps to do something. And Mami isn't being a passive sadsack anymore, she's being an active sadsack.)
>>
>>2270498
Sorry I have no idea what TTS is
I didn't know Len bullying was a normal thing.
Apparently Lenka and Kaiko is a real thing people made?
https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2047984?tags=kagamine_lenka
https://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/2059232?tags=kaito+genderswap
>>
>>2270521
I don't think Len bullying is an actual thing but it sounds like fun, and genderswap characters are always a thing and often A Thing.

TTS would be Madoka scifi fanfic to the stars ( https://archiveofourown.org/works/777002/chapters/1461984 ) I just don't want to deal with catching up to the Madoka threads just to shitpost about it.
>>
>>2270529
Lenka is the only one that was immediately ignored or moved off-screen every time
It just felt really mean.
>>
>>2270498
I am glad TTS is really gay at the moment (pity about the missed shuttle sex eh), I do feel like the pacing is starting to feel really stretched as Hieronym takes more and more time to get chapters out though. Seems as though most fanfics I like have this problem, unless they just die outright.
>>
>>2270529
>600k words
How the fuck and why
>>
>>2270567
Inter Nos has the most at 1000k or 1kk

Dissonance has 750k+ and Overheat has 540k. Those two are the same writer.

There are other really long ones but most are about some crossover shit or OC crap.
>>
>>2270570
Not really anime related but there's a hp femslash one that's over a million. It's also a fucking glacial burn fic that isn't worth it last time I dove into it.
>>
>>2270571
What's the name?
>>
>>2270573
Bonding.
Do note, that a lot of it involves world building and setting up backgrounds for those that lacked backgrounds iirc. Also it's MinveraMione, and just really glacial. I'd say on it's own and if you don't go into it for romance, it's fine. Just overly long.
>>
>>2270571
>glacial burn
The chuckle I got from that is probably more entertaining than the fic.
>>
>>2270570
>1000k or 1kk
Don't you mean a MILLION?
>>
>>2270620
I swear, if I had said a "a million", someone would have responded "just say 1000k or 1kk"
>>
>>2270620
>>2270643
Don't you mean one megaword?
>>
What kind of romance do you prefer, the ones that have slow build or the ones that go right into it?
>>
>>2270782
Those that have character development. Rare enough.
>>
>>2265257

Hermione is with Ron for 3/4ths of this story and never breaks up with him by the time Luna and her get together. No one waste your time on this.
>>
>>2270858
>is with Ron

Eh. Plays so little a role, it might not even have been there.
>>
>>2270652
That sounds more like a word with 1,000,000 letters.
>>
>>2270282
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/8321764/1/Oscillation

I miss the crazy days of Vocaloid.
>>
>>2271037
I'm hopeful that Black Lagoon Vocaloid fic gets some exposure and will be continued
>>
>Post a oneshot on FF
>Click "complete" in the story details, it shows up on the story link, for all to see
>People continue to "follow" it.

I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but as a majority-oneshot writer for years now it's always confused and slightly bothered me.
>>
>>2271037
The fact that this ends the way it does is a fucking crime.
>>
>>2270814
I prefer stories that start with the relationship already established. I'm not a big fan of UST, and if I'm reading something because I like the pairing, I'd prefer it to be about that pairing, not a side story or something saved for the very end.
>>
>>2271372
>I prefer stories that start with the relationship already established.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

I've pretty much dedicated myself since last year to write stories where the ship is already at sea, so to say. There's a lot to do from there, and the fact that the vast majority of romance fics are either about characters getting together (and the story almost always ends there) or breaking up (and thus we don't see the good parts of the relationship) is truly sad.
>>
>>2271367
I know right. In the end it turns out that we were Luka after all.
>>
>>2271380
Well, stories where the relationship is already there are destined to really be sort of slice of life or not really focused entirely on the relationship, right? With characters getting together, there's a lot to write about, but if they're already together you either have to focus on something else and have the relationship just be a backdrop or just write SoL stories. That's the way I see it, anyways.
>>
>>2271409
>Well, stories where the relationship is already there are destined to really be sort of slice of life or not really focused entirely on the relationship, right?
Certainly not. You can focus on
>Small spats within the relationship
>Larger, relationship-threatening problems (be it internal in the relationship or external)
>Some kind of shared experience, be it good or bad, that they have to get through together (from an outside source, generally)
>An SoL element (cute girls doing cute things-esque, or something more fantastic/monumental/life changing/etc.)

And so on. The important part is that you write situations where the couple being in a relationship ultimately changes how the situation occurs, whether it's a good or bad situation. The ship should mean something, and I think that's my general issue with so many "getting together" fics, where, because they're not together yet, the ship becomes an afterthought or a goal rather than something that has significance.
>>
>>2271349
Same. Just happened to me yesterday with the story I published.
>>
>>2270782
Slow build, but not too slow.
>>
>>2271372
>I prefer stories that start with the relationship already established

That does not exclude character development.
>>
>>2271452
How slow is too slow? Hoping to see some discussion about this.
>>
>>2271533
Really depends on the story. But, really, it should feel like a natural progression, not dragging it out for the sole purpose of dragging it out. Not easy, I suppose.
>>
>>2271536
What makes it feel like it's being dragged out? I know the feeling very well but the cause can be hard to pinpoint. For me, the most obvious cause is meaningless drama that occurs for the sake of having more drama.
>>
>>2271537
Drama out of nowhere is one thing, but, to simplify, I'd say after 3 (to 4, if a long novel) times of clearly rising (sexual/romantic) tension between the characters should be enough. That does not include random flirting along the line.
All good things come in threes, after all...Haw haw haw....

This is an opinion, obviously, nothing more.
>>
>>2271541
I always create drama out of nowhere, I don't know how to write anything else.
>>
>>2271550
I do hope you understand the difference and are just "joking".
>>
>>2271551
kinda, I'm not that good a writer and often I just can't help it.
>>
>>2271550
Don't confuse actual conflict (which is essential for a story) with 'drama'
>>
>>2271556
>>2271561
There's drama, and then there's DRAMA.
>>
>>2270567
there is a devoted following of people that really love ridiculously long fics. i have yet to find one that doesn't feel like a slog.

i'm reading a 200k one right now and it feels bogged down in some of the descriptions.

i think i'll manage to finish it since the plot is interesting, but after i'm done i'm going to read an actual novel that's over 200k words to see how i feel about that. i don't think fanfics need to be on-par with professional writing, but i am interested to see what the differences are in such a long story.

>>2271562
then there's telenovelas, which are an art in their own right.
>>
>>2271839
On the one hand it is a really long fic and on the other hand it is a kinda interesting scifi novel with a bit of the author's sexual tastes baked within, a bit like the diamond age and neil stephenson's obsession with underwater nanite swapping sex cults.

There's also Overlady that's really long but it's the best Terry Pratchett novel I've ever read (especially since he died) so it's more of a feature.
In terms of timing and pacing, I really prefer it when a new chapter gives an answer to at least a problem or mystery that was hanging around even if it introduces others. It's a phased release unlike a book so it has to take more serial fiction aspect to stay interesting, it can't entirely rely on the next chapter being a bombshell when it won't be here for a month or ten. (But a little fluffy SoL chapter every now and then never hurt anyone.) (This is also why I was happy that Mami was doing something in TTS, start an answer, ask a new question, don't just pile them on.)
>>
>tfw you have a probably one-off shameful ship that there'll probably never be fic for
>>
>>2271876
Write it.
>>
>>2271878
Can't write worth shit, and believe me I've tried.
The ghosts of shit that I've written and then taken down from shame probably amount to a million words by now
>>
>>2271879
Shut up and write more lesbians for me. I need it.
>>
>>2271876
>>2271876
>tfw you have a probably one-off shameful ship that there'll probably never be fic for
What is it?
>>
>>2271883
When I said shameful, I meant it. It's literally a rule 63 version of a very rare hetship
It's Star Wars, fem!anakin/ahsoka
>>
>>2271888
Write it. Seriously there's hardly anything for SW.
>>
Hey /u/!

I had a discussion about deleted fanfics last night. Apparently, Ange Sinestre has deleted all Mai-Hime/Mai-Otome fics a couple of years back which is a great shame. I did some digging and found the missing stories in my local archive.

Reposting them here as I remember enjoying them quite a lot back in the day. The link below contains an archive with 4 fanfics: Antipode, The Calm, Kyoto Hunt and Mai Kisaki.

Hope someone would find it helpful!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/79tzv596at5sgml/AS.zip
>>
>>2271876
Oh god, don't remind me again. Back then I ship Sherry|Shiho/Vermouth from DC and there's no fic or art and I can't write or draw jackshit. Partly my fault because I should have stayed away from the DC fandom cause their contents are limited to het and gay males.
and I ship Alice/Fabia from Bakugan and sometimes I asked myself why the fuck I shipped them
>>
>>2272138
I can beat you all for embarrassing and pointless ships. Shiro and Kuro from Erect Sawaru's Pandra series.
>>
>>2272141
Getting involved in this discussion is my worst mistake cause now I want to write fics and edit, upload, delete then rinse and repeat.
I have so many ideas about my rarepairs and sometimes I get frustrated with my inability to properly express it.
>>
>>2272146
Well, the only way to get better is to write, after all.
>>
>>2272146
Perhaps work on your conceptualization.
>>
>>2272151
>>2272148
I did try in the past but school got in the way and I just abandoned and forgot about it.
Lately the lack of rarepairs has been getting into me and I have thought up ideas, built up universes and lores but never got around to properly write.
Not to mention the fact that I sucked big time with my Literature subject and English is not my first language.
>>
Urara Meirochou needs more fics.
>>
>>2272155
The english could probably be hammered out with a dedicated beta. Just take inspiration from your native literature if you have any if you think you can't do it with English literature
>>
>>2272163
Then I should start with oneshots? I never handle long-ass stories well.
And maybe I should rewatch or wiki search the characters involved in my targeted fandom so as to avoid make them not act like themselves.
>>
>>2272168
Yeah oneshots/short fics are a great way to get your feet wet. Also yes for the other bit though I'd say wiki search if it's still relatively recent in your mind.
>>
>>2272169
Yeah, thanks for the advice onee-sama.
When I finish my first fics can I post the link here so you all can criticize and help me improve?
>>
>>2272178
>fics
Might wanna shoot for fic over fics at first, but I don't think there's any problem asking for critique.
>>
>>2272181
My bad, onee-sama. Nevertheless I am a firm believer in "Failure is the root from which success blooms" so I really appreciated criticism.
>>
>>2272185
It's alright, just try not to bite off more than you can chew. Hell you get one posted and I'll be one of the anons critiquing.
>>
>>2271843
>I really prefer it when a new chapter gives an answer to at least a problem or mystery that was hanging around even if it introduces others. It's a phased release unlike a book so it has to take more serial fiction aspect to stay interesting, it can't entirely rely on the next chapter being a bombshell when it won't be here for a month or ten.

this is pretty much the formula to any decent serial series, as you mentioned. theoretically, if you followed it, you could sustain a story indefinitely.

but rarely is any story good indefinitely, and if you've got a main plot to advance then how do you avoid pacing issues in such a large work? how do you keep readers interested in the larger story and justify your word count?

ultimately the story has to match the word count. there's a reason novels rarely break 200k, beyond financial ones. certain genres do it more often than others. i've read stories that felt woefully short for what they were trying to accomplish as well as those that were too long.
>>
>>2272158
There usually is not much for ongoing shows unless they are ongoing for years.
>>
>>2272030
Good work nee-san. Much appreciated.
>>
>tfw a story you last updated in 2013 still gets hundreds of hits a month.

I wrote 1000 words today. It feels like typing through treacle.
>>
>>2272933

That is a common feeling. Coming back to something after a long absence feels weird and it takes a while to get back into your stride. Keep trying and don't be afraid to re-write the new material until you get into it and it starts flowing easier.

Just curious, what story is this?
>>
>>2272933
I feel you. I'm going back to a story I haven't touched in quite a while.

I rewrote the entire chapter I had before I stopped. That helped a little.
>>
>>2272933
As a reader I often can't go back to the story that updated for the first time in several years even if I remember it being good. It's very difficult to get yourself within the context of the story without rereading massive chunks of it again. Just a different perspective
>>
>>2272936
https://www.fictionpress.com/s/2381225/1/

I started off the evening by trashing what I wrote three years ago, so I'm on the way along that cycle already.

>>2272957
Same - I've been having that with TTS this week, and it's only been 6 months or so.
>>
Here are some things I read and enjoyed recently so there's actually some fanfiction in this fanfiction thread

>Kobayashi-san
>Kobayashi is a dragon who wakes up to find a princess in her lair.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9566411
>Tohru has some questions about the nature of their relationship. Well, more like demands.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9642950

>Hibikek
>A group of girls are brought into a different world while playing a game, and have to do their best to stay together.
I've never even watched the show and this is just fun. I don't know how it holds up against the canon tho. WIP
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9367745/chapters/21206960

>Mouretsu Pirates
>The first thing Jenny Dolittle notices about Lynn Lambretta is that she is unfairly cute.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/7819648

>Symphogear
>Hibiki and Miku reunite to spend Christmas together.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9507791
>>
>>2272970
>https://www.fictionpress.com/s/2381225/1/

Man, I really liked this story. Glad to hear you're trying to get back to it, and having a hard time believing it's been almost 4 years since the last update...
>>
>>2272957
Same, but my main problem is that I don't like that fandom/pairing anymore. Not hate, just lost interest.
>>
>>2272970
For keeping up with TTS it helps that I've been following Hieronym's tumblr, the TTS/Mass Effect crossover and the TTS subreddit.
>>
>>2273047
>TTS/Mass Effect crossover
You caught my interest
>>
>>2273071
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12241700/1/Mass-Divergence

It's a fun alternate history of TtS where humanity encounters the Turians instead of the Cephalopods, and the resulting shitstorm that ensues.

Ryouko is also pretty different from her TtS version.
>>
>>2273077
Thanks, I'll check it out.
>>
>To the Stars
>Madoka Magica fanfic set in the future where humanity fights an ayy lmao invasion
How yuri are we talking?
>>
>>2273086
MC is dating another girl and there are multiple other yuri pairings.
>>
>>2273090
Sold
>>
>>2273086

Is it Madoka meets Xcom?
>>
>>2273203
It's more Madoka meets Starship Troopers.

Also just so you know, the MC is an original character, and so is her GF and most of the cast. The actual canon cast are side characters (but they play important roles nonetheless).
>>
>>2271037
Is this what they call "postmodernism"?
>>
>>2273086
I just don't really care about Madoka fic other than MadoHomu.
>>
>>2273283
That, or just 'surreal'.
>>
>>2273292
How about kinky MadoHomu?
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12050662/1/Madoka-s-Pet
>>
Hi neesans, I have a story and I prewrote all the chapters. What's the best speed of uploading? A new chapter a week? A new chapter a day? All at once?
>>
>>2274098
I'd say one or two chapter a week depending on the amount of words.
>>
Anyone know of an app suitible for writing fics on a phone?
>>
>>2274113
I write almost exclusivly on google docs.
I do most of my writing on my laptop, but its nice that it automatically syncs so I can punch out some words on my phone as well while waiting for the bus or using the bathroom.
>>
>>2274113
I use the Microsoft word app that's integrated with Dropbox. Not that great an experience but what can ya do.
>>
>>2274098
A chapter every day or two works the best for me. Though it depends on the size and amount of your chapters.
>>
>>2274098
Depends how long the story is - for a longer story (10+ chapters) I'd probably do 2 a week.

For a shorter story, I tend to do one a week. Keeps people in suspense.
>>
>>2274098
Without word count per chapter it's impossible to recommend anything
There are stingy people with 1000 words per chapter and then you have idiots like Kuugen with their 10000-70000 word chapters
>>
>>2274113
>>2274122
You must be brave. I fucking hate typing on phones (yes, even smartphones).
>>
>>2274183
Word count will be around 3k per chapter.

Overall story length is around 10 chapters.
>>
I've been reading this Life is Strange fic named Eternal Return. It reminded me of Time Traveller's Wife (book, not movie) only with yuri. Pretty great stuff.

http://archiveofourown.org/works/5512940/chapters/12730901
>>
>>2274183
>70000 word chapters
Longer than the first Harry Potter book. This will never cease to amaze me.
>>
>>2274183
>Kuugen with their 10000-70000 word chapters
That is insane.
I thought my last chapter of nearly 8000 words was too much. I probably should have split it up. I would still like feedback.

I decide what should be in each chapter and then I write it, the final word count varies as a result. Like the next chapter I am going to write is already planned, it is probably going to be ~5000 words, and the one I am editing now is 4000 words.
Most people probably write chapters the same way.

>>2274203
Personally I would release one a week, on the same day.
>>
>>2274185
Its not so bad. I dont worry about spelling or grammar while writing on my phone and fix that stuff later when I am on my laptop.
It also helps that I have a pretty big phone.
>>
>>2274098
Depend on how long it takes you to edit.
>>
>>2274222
>>2274234
I read those chapters no problem, but I am a publication reviewer(novels, articles, magazine editorials, etc) and make a living out of that, so reading 120000 words a day is just normal for me.

I played it up for laughs, lets be real for a second. She's only got one work that has those brutally long chapters and rather than sticking to length, she sticks to time frame. So a chapter always covers one day inside that universe. The shorter ones are 10000, and there are two that are over 60000
Most are around 20000 now I think
>>
>>2274098
Just upload it all. Trust readers to pick their own pace. They aren't children who can't handle more than four pages a day.
>>
>>2274882
It's not necessarily about the readers, writers get more feedback if they dripfeed rather than dropping it all at once. I can respect desiring that.
>>
>>2274883
Just to clarify - feedback as in acute reactions to crafted pitfalls in each chapter and not as plain upvotes?

Though, I guess likes and the like are almost the only reward fanfiction writers do receive. Can't truly condemn that either.
>>
>>2274895
I'm sure it depends on the story, the author and the fandom and really, the writer has no control over which they get more of. Considering AO3 is one of the main platforms these days and offers 'kudos' as a quick alternative to actually leaving a review and people have taken hugely to this, it's quite likely to be 'plain upvotes'. And as you said, I can't condemn desire for the latter over the former, and considering how often I tell myself 'I'm totally going to leave a review for this story I loved' and don't for whatever reason, I can't condemn the readers either, for fear of being a hypocrite.

Personally, I'd be hoping I could get feedback on the quality of my writing in each chapter, even if it was finished, to help me improve going forward, but I'm not going to lie and deny that just being told someone enjoyed what I'd written would be nice too. if I ever finished anything.
>>
>>2274895
Yeah. For me I'll be uploading this story onto fanfiction.net, so I won't even get kudoes. It's a pairing no one cares about anymore, so it won't really get reviews or anything either. Gotta do what I gotta do I suppose to drum up more of those.

Part of me is tempted to upload it all in one go, but I feel like that might be intimidating to the readers. Also, I feel like seeing Chapters: 10, favorites: 0 and reviews: 0 gives a bad impression of the fic.
>>
>>2274903
I love responding to reviews that are of more substance than "nice, pls more"
On AO3 I might as well let a bot upload for me since all I ever get is kudos and I really give zero fucking shits about kudos. Your upvote means nothing to me.
>>
>>2274919
Leaving and responding to reviews hits my social anxiety pretty hard, so I'm fine with kudos. I can see the value in it for some people as well as drabbles and things like that. Maybe they should make the kudos system optional?
>>
>>2274929
Kudos is optional already
But I really have barely any incentive to upload to AO3 after I upload to ffnet since AO3 uploads only get me worthless kudos
>>
>>2274930
I've never actually uploaded anything to it, so I wouldn't know. Why not just disable it then?
>>
>>2274931
Oh, it's optional in the way that nobody is forced to use it. Like reviews. Or comments. Was a stupid comment, now that I think about it.
You can't disable it
>>
>>2274914
Please also upload to AO3 since while people there sometimes abuse the tagging system, it means it at least has a tagging system and that's Nice. Also it has less stupid arbitrary limits and I'm pretty sure a far less fucked database design and I'm very partial to that.
>>
File: IMG_3393.png (119KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3393.png
119KB, 750x1334px
Can someone help me find this really old Blood+ fanfic?? It's one of my favorites, but the author did a really good job of deleting its traces. It's called "Bonds Stronger than Blood". I've tried looking for it myself to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>2275597
Sorry anon, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere online. I did make an effort, but couldn't find anything. archive.org has two almost complete fanfiction.net backups: one from 2012, one from 2016, but neither of them contains the story you want (I did check the indices only, didn't download the 400 GB backup itself).

Defunct ffn link if you'll have a better luck: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3037995/
>>
>>2275861
OP here. I appreciate the help, thank you.
>>
>>2274234
Never put too much pressure on yourself.

4K words is honestly the perfect length. 7K is getting to the meaty kind that I have a feeling most people wont be able to sustain.

Keep each chapter 4K~ and wrap that shit up before chapter 10.
>>
>>2262272
Anyone know any twilight FANFICS Alice/Bella or Rosalie/Bella that doesn't read like the author has spergs because so many fics are grammatically awful and pacing off
>>
Someone finally wrote something great and non-futa for Flip Flappers
>Papika struggles to understand her own feelings and her relationship with Cocona after learning some uncomfortable details about love.
http://archiveofourown.org/works/9901709/chapters/22195106
>>
I did some (not very good) fics and people made comments in it. I never know what to say back, though, so I just read it.

Honest question: Do people who makes comments on fics expect you to answer and I should try to write something back or they don't care about that?
>>
>>2277616
Nice, I just finished watching the show and was looking for something to read
>>
>>2277674
I personally don't care. Reviews are kinda supposed to be a one-way critique from audience to author, not a back-and-forth conversation.
>>
>>2277674
You could add a one-liner reply before or after the next chapter if you feel like it. Probably a good idea if it's just something along the lines of
>Thanks to yurifan69 for pointing out some inconsistencies with earlier chapters, these have been fixed now.

Don't bother if they're comments that will just lead to arguments though.
>>
>>2277674
I feel like author responses are more common on AO3, since it's very easy to respond visibly.

>>2277854
Question, sometimes I see authors dedicate a few sentences, sometimes paragraphs, to reader responses in the author's note on FF.net. Is this frowned upon?
>>
>>2277807
>>2277854
>>2277858
Yeah, they're not really complaints, but I was browsing other writers profiles in AO3 and most of them answer to each comment, even if it's just praise. So I wondered if people expected that and might be offended if I don't do it.

I don't like writing filler responses if I have nothing to say.
>>
>>2277858
I'd say it depends on how interesting the responses are to the general reader. If you stick a several paragraphs long reply to a specific reader before the story without any context, I can see how people would get annoyed.

That shouldn't be a problem if it's a short reply like I mentioned.
>>
>>2277858
Honestly, I dislike any non-story content within a story. It's a major immersion breaker for me.
>>
Any good Tekken fanfic?
>>
do you have any pet peeves when it comes to fanfics?
>>
>>2278102
Bloat. Too damn many words.
>>
>>2278102
Abuse of the tagging system on AO3 more than anything. There's a few tags that make me see red. I'm generally quite easy going as regards content.

It does pain me sometimes though when I read something that's technically not very good but the characterisation or world building is spot on.
>>
>>2278102
The biggest one is spelling errors and typos. OOC and "in name only" fanfics. Overloading a story with supposedly cool stuff without a proper explanation and to the detriment of the plot and character development.
>>
>>2277674
Respond if you have something to say.

>>2278102
Lazy, poorly thought out world building. Go ahead and throw in cool stuff, but it has to make sense in the context of the world you are writing about. A world where everyone can jump 30 feet is going to be different from our own world, so don't write it exactly the same as our world except people jump really high the one time every other chapter you can easily assed to remember that you gave everyone a super power.you changed the world, so write a changed world.
>>
>>2278198
>A world where everyone can jump 30 feet is going to be different from our own world, so don't write it exactly the same as our world except people jump really high the one time every other chapter you can easily assed to remember that you gave everyone a super power.you changed the world, so write a changed world.

Fuck, so stairs are a thing of the past?
>>
>>2278202
>In a world with no stairs everyone must jump. In such a world only true exhibitionists would ever wear such a thing as a skirt. Cue story about a gang of delinquent girls who rock minis all day everyday who generally end those days by randomly pairing off/orgy to release their pent up need.
>Real possibility of them wearing what would be considered super classy dresses while carrying baseball bats instead of biker leather to be "edgy".
>>
>>2278233
lbds or dresses that allow movement would be better than typical classy ones.
>>
>>2278233
Write it, please?
>>
>>2278239
>lbds, matching silver chains and studs as a gang mark, shiny chrome bats they may or may not get shoved into places on occasion.
Didn't think about that, that's not bad... Fuck.

>>2278241
I would, but I just shitpost for ideas when I should be writing whats already on my plate. Also can't write smut for shit in my own opinion so it wouldn't be a focus if/when such a thing would ever get made.

But hey if anyone wants to write "the world without stairs", it's out there.
>>
New Watamote fanfic at:
https://www.fanfiction.net/search.php?keywords=Tomoko+and+ucchi&ready=1&type=story
>>
>>2278306
You wanna try that again?
>>
>>2278307
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12338550/1/Tomoko-Yoshida-and-Ucchi
>>
>>2277616
This was beautiful. Nail clippers, eh?
>>
>>2277616
Cute as fuck nigga.
>>
>>2278102
Writing dialogue -like this- instead of "like this"
>>
>>2278757
Yeah, non-standard dialogue formatting is an automatic deal breaker for me.
>>
>>2278757
What kind of idiot does that? Writing has rules for a reason.
>>
>>2278757
Giants walls of text with random paragraph breaks dropped in every 10,000,000 lines or so.

And I hate that HTML doesn't indent the first line of a paragraph, but that's not unique to fanfic.
>>
>>2278102
-Entire chapters are one giant blob of text. No spacing whatsoever. It's like individual paragraphs are completely non-existent in human history.

-Caps Lock being used in almost every piece of dialog. Just use a exclamation point.

-All of it is just script style writing. Just character names and dialog.

-Holding a story hostage until you get your desired amount of reviews/comments/likes/whatever the fuck.

-Advertise a pairing but still doesn't get to it all and 30-40 chapters have already gone by. I know buildup is important but my complaint is I'M NOT SEEING IT AT ALL.

-An entire chapter is the length of the word limit of a 4chan post.

-Says the the story only x numbers of chapters but never finish it. It's usually not even in the double digits. You got this planned but quit after posting one chapter? There are people who just have a vague view of their story and can still finish with even more chapters to write.

-The description says the story will begin with this pairing and end with that pairing. Or the story has a pairing but the author changes their mind halfway or god-forbid somewhere around the end. So you're saying I went through all these chapters seeing this pairing develop just for you to dump it without warning and jump to another one? I mean, come on.

-"I suck at summaries." Then how can I have faith in your story when you can't even think of a summary?
>>
>>2278941
>Advertise a pairing but still doesn't get to it all
Related to this point, advertising an on-going story as having a yuri ship, but one or both halves end up with men at the end, with little or no yuri in it. I've come across a couple of KlK fics about Nonon guilty of this in particular, one of which I remember as being tagged F/F and 'queer' or something like that, while featuring explicit het sex from the get-go and a little of Nonon unrequitedly mooning over Satsuki during the sex, as she had gotten together with Ryuuko off-screen. I did leave a comment to the effect of 'if the majority of the story is about a F/M ship getting together and fucking it's not queer in any way, shape or form and it shouldn't be tagged F/F' and to their credit they did revise the tags, but it shouldn't happen in the first place.
>>
>tfw once again in a writing funk
>tfw starting four or 4 different projects and not finishing any
This was how my last stint with fics ended a few years ago - I don't want that again.

Got any tips?
>>
>>2279082
>Got any tips?

Write. Finish. Everything else is excuses.
I know. I'm right there.
>>
>>2279090
But it's frustrating to have half an idea in your head, and not only to fail in satisfactorily writing that idea on paper, but also finding a conclusion to it that works
>>
>>2279082
I have a problem with focusing, too. Just don't write more than two big stories at the same time. And if you need a break, write some one shots in between.

If you feel like you don't want to write your story anymore, give a pause. Then a month later try to read it. It usually makes me want to continue it, since it's actually better than I remember.
>>
>>2279146
>But it's frustrating to have half an idea in your head

It is. There is no other way, however.
Do or do not. There is no story writing itself.
Again, I, as do many many others, know exactly where you're coming from.

>and not only to fail in satisfactorily writing that idea on paper

Not writing at all it is exactly that. If not worse.

>>2279148
>give a pause. Then a month later try to read it.

Unless you switch to the other stories in that month, nothing will ever get done. It just won't happen that you will finish it. (There are, of course, exceptions to everything, so if it works for you, good for you)
>>
>>2279152
Yeah, I was reviewing something I decided to publish as an one-shot because it wasn't that interesting, but then I felt like I wanted to keep it.

Sure, it's not good to not write at all, so it's best to switch stories between those times, but forcing yourself to write something you just think it's not good won't help either.
>>
>>2279148
>And if you need a break, write some one shots in between.
Most of them are oneshots, actually - I've been a one-shot author my entire fic career, besides a few things here and there.

>>2279152
>It is. There is no other way, however.
Do or do not. There is no story writing itself.
Again, I, as do many many others, know exactly where you're coming from.
>Not writing at all it is exactly that. If not worse.

Fair enough. What are some tips, then, for refreshing yourself or for taking something you've half written and continuing. I feel like I've hit a block in most of the stories.
>>
>>2279154
I can only speak for myself, what worked for me, but I went back to my notes and brainstormed. A few days, an hour or two at a time. As soon as ideas came, the drive to write came back.
>>
I can't even imagine how people write these never ending fics that are longer than most of the entire harry potter book series
>>
>>2279225
The longest fic I've ever read (Dissonance) is still short of that mark, but at the same time I can't imagine fics that are much longer exist.
>>
>>2278926
I don't even notice indentation anymore.

>>2278941
For me most of these are deal breakers, not pet peeves.
>>
>>2278941
>-Holding a story hostage until you get your desired amount of reviews/comments/likes/whatever the fuck.

I understand this, but it is discouraging to put a lot of work in a piece and get nothing but maybe a couple of lines. Readers should be aware that feedback is very appreciated.
>>
File: stats.png (41KB, 377x515px) Image search: [Google]
stats.png
41KB, 377x515px
>>2279225
>>2279232
I read so many crap after I first discovered fanfiction. Pic related was the single longest fic I've managed to finish. And now I can't even get through a single chapter of the stories I enjoyed back without cringing at the awful writing.
>>
>>2279412
Well, maybe there is something wrong with you and not them.
>>
>>2279447
Don't tell me you haven't run into surprisingly good 150k word fics with fifty reviews at most. Most people are too lazy to give feedback or review.
>>
>>2279447
There's a lot of lazy people out there, myself included, who read fanfics but don't review despite enjoying the fic.

I also write fics so I get where >>2279412 is coming from. Though, I'd never hold my story hostage for reviews. Too prideful for that.
>>
>>2279534
Demanding reviews is a shitty thing to in every situation, but I feel that sometimes readers don't understand how much just a few words of thanks can mean.
>>
>>2279550
I only give a thank you when/if the story is actually finished.
>>
>>2279054
"Queer" just means bisexual nowadays. Even if it's a male/female couple, they are super "gay" and "queer".

Fuck West.
>>
>>2279412
I just have no idea what to write as feedback. I don't know shit about writing/literature, so I can't really judge and give advice. All I can say is "it's good, I like it".
>>
>>2279565

>>2279534 here. Honestly, I appreciate any review. Even simple, short 'It's good' ones, because it really does take some effort to get off one's ass and write a review. It's much harder than just giving kudoes on AO3. The mere fact that someone enjoyed my writing enough to overcome that initial barrier, open up that review window on ff.net, and type a few lines, means a lot to me.
>>
>>2279557
That does feel a bit extreme for a longer work, but I can understand that as well.
>>
>>2279572
While it might seem extreme. The length of a story actually work against it, especially when the end is nowhere in sight.
>>
>>2279232
Has to be the longest fic I ever read, too.
It doesn't really feel that way since only a few weeks have passed in the story. Or 10 years and a few weeks, apparently.
>>
>>2279412
>I understand this, but it is discouraging to put a lot of work in a piece and get nothing but maybe a couple of lines. Readers should be aware that feedback is very appreciated.

this is an ongoing problem and i don't know how to fix it. by my guess, a lot of new generation readers are also piss-scared of communicating with anything that might have a pulse.

i am by no means an experienced or prolific fic writer, but so far as i can tell the easiest way to get people to review something is to piss them off. i wrote a 300 word fic that got like 19 comments of mostly salt. this is silly, but generally how the internet works.

i printed my favorite and put it on the fridge. i also do this with my favorite nice comments.

>>2279565
if you feel "it's good, i like it" isn't adequate and you want to be nice, maybe write something funny. tell the writer you will name your firstborn after them, leave a review like ebay feedback, say the story is much better than a perfect belgian waffle.

i really need to go and review some of my favorite stories. i think i'll go do that now.

i'd like to be able to give more critical feedback, even around here, but i don't feel i have a large enough body of work to back up criticism.
>>
As someone who has been at this for close to a decade, the best reviews are not "it's good" or "you could do better by doing this".
They're about showing you care about the story. Commenting on what you thought of the chapter, the characters and what they were doing, the plot, whether you liked or disliked it doesn't matter.
That is the one thing that any writer will appreciate. I'd take one review that points out I have a continuity error with a chapter from 4 years ago over 50 that just say "good job".
Because those 50 might read the story but none of them cared as much as that one guy that knows the story apparently even better than I do.
>>
>>2279712
So you basically want people to write a thesis for every chapter?
>>
>>2279733
How is pointing out a continuity error in any way like writing out a thesis?

Anon isn't saying you should write lengthy reviews, just ones that actually show you're interested in the story instead of just saying that you are.
>>
>>2279082
There are many ways around writer's block, but it depends on the person, whether or not a technique will work.

What I found helpful was to just reread what you have written. Obviously it depends how bad the writer's block you have is. Like don't reread around 50,000 words just because you can't think how to properly end a specific scene. It can often help you re-trigger the thoughts and ideas that lead to those words, or completing foreshadowing that you have already set up.

You can simply write something, anything, even if it's shit.

Writing notes can be helpful, or going back over them, but generally thinking about your story is the best thing to do, in my opinion. Like you probably have a start and an end point in mind, now it is simply going from one to the other. It is honestly that simple, as from the start only a couple of things should be able to happen due to the central conflict. Also try not to over write a scene, if it can only be about a thousand words, don't try to force it to be 5000. It is not a fun thing to do.

If you are really stuck, having a small break can be useful, but try to do something that doesn't completely distract you from your own ideas, like don't write something else entirely.

There is no 100% proven way around writer's block. This is a list of ways that have helped me. Just remember every other writer has had a deal with writer's block at one point.
>>
>>2279632
>by my guess, a lot of new generation readers are also piss-scared of communicating with anything that might have a pulse.
The proliferation of social and digital media among young people in general would probably disprove this. They seem to have considerably less nerves around communicating with utter strangers on the internet than older people do, in fact. I'm 26 and I'm far more shy about using anything that attaches a name or identity to me than any of my younger friends or relatives.
>>
>>2279632
I blame a completely review-unfriendly UI both on FFN and AO3 which looks like it was deliberately built to prevent any kind of communication between a writer and his readers. I never had a problem with receiving constructive criticism on the stuff I posted on other websites like fimfiction, spacebattles and sufficient velocity when the same stories got at best a couple of "it's good thanks" on FFN and AO3.
>>
>>2279773
In AO3 isn't the review box just down the page? Unlike FF.net, where you have to click on a drop down menu to open up a pop-up window?
>>
>>2279774
Yes, the comments are on the same page as the story and it makes AO3 marginally better than FFN, but you still have to click on the button to show them instead of them showing up when scrolling down past the chapter end. It may seem like a small thing, but it bears a giant impact on how many people would actually bother leaving a comment. UI has impact on site community as well. If it becomes a de facto standard not to leave any comments among your established userbase, newer users would ape them and the cycle will continue.

Also, it makes a world of difference when you're writing a story that tries to engage the readers into speculating and theorycrafting about the future events and various hidden stuff you deliberately hinted at. I would go ahead say that this is outright impossible with the way Fanfiction.net currently works. IMO Fimfiction still has the best UI out of all self-publishing sites I've seen and I wouldn't mind if a general purpose fiction site borrowed it.

Pardon the typos, writing from a shitty old cellphone
>>
>>2279764
It's weird, they're social in some areas and terrified in others. everyone seems to have some kind of anxiety now. I've seen a few comments about how people are "scared" to approach fic writers. it's okay to blast your political opinions to the masses, but giving someone a direct compliment is scary.

More people are out there with their name on shit because we're less scared of the catfishing pedo boogeyman. possibly because people got lazy about doxxing too unless they really hate you.

The internet has changed, man.
>>
>>2279632
What was your favorite bad review/comment? The one that's on your fridge?

>>2279758
Thanks for the advice, nee-san. I ended up taking it, and some other anons from the thread, and really trying to outline/plan out the fic, and I'm already feeling a bit more optimistic about it. I guess just going in without a plan isn't much good at all.
>>
>>2279889
>I guess just going in without a plan isn't much good at all.
It's all a question of what works for you. Some need outlines, some just wing it the whole way through only to edit afterwards. In my case, I need to plan heavily ahead since seeing a giant mess on the page only makes me more nervous about the work.
>>
>>2279889
>I guess just going in without a plan isn't much good at all.

Some people shit out gold by sitting down and typing. Some people need to plan to the last detail. Whatever works for you, you need to do. Hell, just for the heck of it, try and put any of the white, brown, whatever noises on in the background. Might just make you a genius. Or not. Never know.
>>
>>2279876
>everyone seems to have some kind of anxiety now

My kind of anxiety happens in real life: if I go out to an unfamiliar place there are high chances I'll get very nervous, vomit and have diarrhea. I don't go out often, I mostly only go to the psych.
>>
>>2279889
"This is really just vindictive and mean."

brings a tear to my eye and warmth to my heart every time i read it.

but i love all my reviews.

>>2279918
plenty of time to write then?
>>
>>2279953
Nah, I'm just a reader, not a writer. I've tried to write stuff, but I lack ideas.
>>
>>2279889
No problem, they were all techniques that worked for me in the past. But I tend to think things through a long before I even start writing. With my fanfiction, which I posted here >>2264829, the idea of it slowly developed over the course of several months. It started as a miserable story about Himawari dealing with Sakurako getting married. But then after thinking about the characters, and what they would do when they left school, I realized that that could never happen and so I continued thinking about the possibilities and what the worst possible scenario, for Himawari, would be. I have a txt file on my task bar that has my notes for that story, it is very general and has most of my assumptions and facts about the manga; most the details of the story are in my head though.

The most important thing is to have a clear start point, a definitive end point and the central conflict of the story. From that it should be easy to work out how long it is going to be, based on the characters involved.

But as I said in my last post, it all comes down to the individual writer: some people can just write and others need to intricately plan everything; there are also many people in between. Eventually you will work out what works for you and what doesn't, unfortunately it can only be done by trail and error.
>>
>>2279972
Sometimes you need to write before the ideas come.
>>
>>2279972
Maybe try and think of scenes, and then set up those scenes so they work within the setting.
>>
>>2279953
>"This is really just vindictive and mean."
lel

I like that you put it on your fridge. Eternal salt.
>>
>>2279973
>the idea of it slowly developed over the course of several months. It started as a miserable story about Himawari dealing with Sakurako getting married. But then after thinking about the characters, and what they would do when they left school, I realized that that could never happen and so I continued thinking about the possibilities and what the worst possible scenario, for Himawari, would be. I have a txt file on my task bar that has my notes for that story, it is very general and has most of my assumptions and facts about the manga; most the details of the story are in my head though.

this is how i've been working. slowly putting together an outline for a longer story as events come to me. when i start a project, I like to know i've got the right plan to finish it. i've written out a couple scenes so far as well.

related: it's an AU with the mc being a getaway driver. any neesans got a good source to learn about cars/driving techniques for it? figured i'd ask here before I go and shit up /o/s qtddtot thread.

>>2279986
i have a nice one too, from the same fic. they both make me happy.
>>
>>2280018
Does she drive a subaru?
>>
>>2279973
>Himawari dealing with Sakurako getting married
>Sakurako getting married to someone other than Himawari
OOC as all hell.
>>
>>2280037
>then after thinking about the characters, and what they would do when they left school, I realized that that could never happen
>>
>>2280041
Me in charge of reading comprehension.
>>
>>2280019
i might just make an obvious reference to the brand. was planning to work a nod to the subaru brumby in there somehow anyways.

i'm generally against including name brands in my work, as it tends to either be immersion breaking or come off as full-on autismo, but for /u/, maybe.
>>
>>2280058
Steering clear of brands is the safer choice for sure, but I felt you could make an obvious nod towards that if there's humor to be had.
>>
>>2280058
When I was in 5th grade I added the name of my favorite band to a book we were forced to write. I wish I could go back in time and kill myself.
>>
>>2279973
>The most important thing is to have a clear start point, a definitive end point and the central conflict of the story. From that it should be easy to work out how long it is going to be, based on the characters involved.
Same anon that you've been helping.

This is generally my problem. Instead of starting from a central problem I usually instead have a theme in mind, and perhaps a premise.

So when I simply jump into it and write without knowing much of the beginning, let alone the central conflict and the ending, I obviously can't finish it and this ends up being discouraging and frustrating.
>>
>>2280064
... was it MCR?

>>2280081
example of your process? like, what was a theme or premise you came up with and then where did you try to go with it?
>>
>>2279630
My longest's 200k and counting. Unless I can count series, in which case it's Don't Blink at 430k
>>
>>2280144
>example of your process?
In general I try to have the premise down first, and the ending soon after. The beginning and the journey, for lack of a better word, almost always comes after the first two are set. If all 4 are in place then I can write freely, and words flow pretty quickly.

Unfortunately this isn't always the case, the most recent fic being an example. I've never written a KyouSaya fic so I started there. Similarly, I tend to write oneshots but I wanted to write a chapter-ed story - much more involved when it comes to conflict, as expected. Theme-wise what I want to explore is mostly Kyouko's understanding (leading to love) of Sayaka with that desire in her to both destroy Sayaka's naivety, and with Kyouko's own individual and selfish attitude getting in the way.

The problem was that I didn't know how to start, let alone how to end it. I had a chapter down, including a flashback, but everywhere I was letting the chapter lead as I started the second chapter was something I hated, or something I was having trouble writing and fitting in with my theme.

Eventually what I did was something I tend to do for essays I have to write in school: I outlined the whole thing, broadly, and really tried to make
>consecutive, natural events leading from what I'd written to an end that made sense and (hopefully) will achieve the theme I set out for
>a way to show both girl's narrative point in alternating POV chapters

After I was happy with the outline I actually managed to finish 2 and half chapters, with about 2 more to go. They're not exceptionally long but they hit the marks I wanted and, with the actual events and flow set in stone, the prose (my favorite part to pay attention to) is now the main focus.

tl;dr
Sat down, focused as well as I could, outlined the whole fucking thing, and now I'm writing just what I set out to do.
>>
>>2262389
sauce on this image
>>
>>2279733
You demonstrated very clearly you cannot even read a single post, much less a fic, and comprehend the contents.

>>2279773
I get responses from the writer all the time when I review. It's private messages, so others can't see it tho.
>>
>>2280171
sounds ambitious dude. glad you found something that's working for you, best of luck getting it done!
>>
>>2262272
I was looking for some swan queen fanfics from author Chrmdpoet but I can't find them online anymore.
Do any of you have to share with me?
thanks
>>
>>2281304
I uploaded what I got, which is 6 SQ + 1 The 100.
https://mega.nz/#!l1910Apa!lPcbj4dJbDDLpvssUZ0qbrSx8kPC2sjfdFX7GWwVyHk
>>
>>2262272
>Sir
>>
>>2281409
>complaining
>>
>sifting through ao3 at random looking for anything interesting
>find a ben ten / teen titans crossover fic that was going to pair off blackfire and gwen
>read what the author ended up writing, find it actually kinda intriguing
>last updated 2 years ago

Fuck.
>>
>>2281476
Maybe the author didn't quit... maybe they just... died...hehehe.
>>
>>2281483
given the status of their other fics, maybe.

Still hate the feeling of running into random fics that look real cool but turn out to have stopped updating a bajillion years ago.
>>
File: 1488805869723.jpg (100KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1488805869723.jpg
100KB, 900x900px
>>2262272
Any good Little Witch Academia fics yet?
>>
File: 1486018224323.jpg (158KB, 835x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1486018224323.jpg
158KB, 835x1024px
Did anyone save a Frozen fanfic called "Aurora Borealis"? I had it bookmarked for around 2 years and the asshole fucking deletes it.
>mfw
>>
>>2282553
>Not saving all your favorite fanfics on your computer.

I'm not making that mistake again.
>>
I want to write another story but it's taking forever for inspiration to strike.
>>
>>2282553
Too generic term. Post author's name and original broken link
>>
>>2282571
Waiting for inspiration is a recipe for disaster.
>>
>>2282571
If inspiration can't find you, go looking for it.
I find that tasking walks helps me get started. If nothing else, moving your legs and seeing different things can help get the brain working.
>>
>>2282571
You have to plug away at it until then.
>>
>>2282575
I find monotonous work helps too, like housework or mowing the lawn. The only problem is you need to be able to take breaks to jot down notes.
>>
>>2282568
I never expected such a tragedy, plus I'm haven't been an avid fan of anything /u/ related or similar things in a while
>>2282572
https://m.fanfiction.net/s/10124010/1/Aurora-Borealis
>>
>>2282643
Any more I keep a note app open on my phone pretty much at all times so I can take down ideas or jot nice-sounding sentences or phrases that I stumble on. By the time I sit down to write, I've got so many notes to work with that I'm basically just expanding an outline into prose. It's so much easier to get things done that way than try to work flow-of-consciousness.
>>
>>2271423
>>2271349
>following a completed story

a bit late, but this means:
- your story was good enough that it merited a cross-browser bookmark
- but not good enough to list under 'Favorites'
>>
Is it just me, or is the Hermione/Fleur fic Affliction taken down from FF.Net?
>>
>>2282666
Found it in my backup archive. Will post a link in a few hours when I get home

>>2282816
I've got you: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3ctmpfhe9tja89h/Affliction_-_Here%27sTo.epub
>>
>>2282568
I save all fics I like, even if they are still on-going. You never know when the author will flip and delete everything
>>
File: 1485749426498.jpg (43KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
1485749426498.jpg
43KB, 500x453px
>>2282834
Holy shit man thanks! U da reel MVP
>>
>>2282666
>>2282848
http://www.mediafire.com/file/scifybubd1zzyqq/Frozen_-_sannedwich_-_Aurora_Borealis.txt
>>
>tfw I've written more today (2 whole pages) then I've written in the past two months
Burst of inspiration? More like I've been unacceptably lazy lately.
>>
>>2282997
iktf, I've been trying to finish something that I started in december.
>>2282816
>>2282834
What was involved in Affliction?
>>
>>2282997
That's how last year felt to me. It was so great.

>Wrote and published more stories last year than I did in the previous 3 years combined.

Not saying much, considering those years I published no more than 1 or 2 things each but still. It feels great to finally get things out
>>
>>2283039
Nice. Generally whenever I try to pick up the scraps of a story either the fandom is no longer active so I drop it again or I forget where I wanted the story to go so I drop it again. I wish I had the wherewithal to get stories out the door like that.
>>
>>2282997
I seem to write about 40k words in a story in a burst, then it fades to a slow trickle. Eventually, I'm gonna finish more than one long story. I just get interested in different stuff before I finish.
>>
Could we try organizing a critique group of some kind here? Begging for reviews and posting every one of your updates is frowned upon here and with good reason, but I think that the people here are knowledgeable enough about writing that we could try helping each other out with improving our writing abilities.
>>
>>2283235
I'd be down for something along those lines. Not sure how to organize it though.
>>
>>2283359
Me too. I a bit disappointed that I didn't really get any reviews when I asked earlier in the thread.
I also wouldn't mind providing feedback for anyone.
>>
>>2283471
I don't mind providing feedback for people either. I remember a few years back I posted a pastebin here and got some helpful critique on it. I think the mood of the thread when it comes to feedback comes and goes, but asking for reviews straight on ff.net usually doesn't help. [Spoiler]I'd be happy to check out your fic though, what's the post number of it?[/spoiler]

Anyways yeah it'd be cool to organize the writers here more easily, but I think the discussions on this thread go pretty well generally.
>>
>>2283508
I would maybe suggest a discord group dedicated to asking for critiques, but I've seen discord links completely kill their respective thread communities in the past. Still, discord could work since you can get feedback discreetly, without having to show it off to everyone. I know how horribly anxious a writer can feel about that shit.
>>
Are there fanfics featuring yuri harems? I found a couple with the building part of the harem but one's dead and the other is finished.
Either way, that's not what I'm looking for, I'm looking for fics where the harem is already established and the MC 'enjoys' her girls.
>>
>>2283508
>>2264829
I am not as negative towards the fifth chapter, as I was when I made the request; I am still going to edit it though as there are some basic writing issues with it. But I would still like criticism and feedback about everything in general, it would be very nice as I haven't had much of it.

>>2283513
>I know how horribly anxious a writer can feel about that shit.
That's true but I do feel that criticism is an important part of writing. Taking and applying criticism is a vital thing to grasp. I also think it is essential for people to get used to opening themselves up to harsh criticism, as that is a major part of writing; the only way around it, if you are very anxious about such a thing, is to do it as much as you can. It is another reason why I have asked quite a few times for feedback, other than I think I need it.
>>
>>2283693
What's the finished one?
>>2283235
>>2283513
I'd be down for helping out as well though I'm more hesitant about discord being involved. I'd rather not download anything of the sort just to help out.
>>
>>2283513
Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather prefer a text-based form of communication instead of a voice chat.
>>
>>2283783
But text is exactly what I've used discord for. It's convenient because it works on a browser and sharing links makes it easy to control admission into the group. My concern is that it'll kill the activity in the thread, which I've seen happen before.
>>
>>2283783
Discord has both, thuogh.
I would still discourage opening a discord channel for the same reasons that other anon said.

As soon as everyone has concise names, every post becomes needlessly loaded. It just takes someone to point out how "this guy always does this" to start generating general-breaking drama.
>>
>>2283788
>>2283792
Oh, I see. It's just that every time Discord was mentioned people were talking in a context of voice comms, treating it like a web app version of Teamspeak. Agreed about name-related drama completely.
>>
>>2283788
>>2283783
>>2283792
This is probably more old fashioned, but it sounds like a mailing list or something would be better. Still kind of broaches the same problem discord might where an editors style becomes more obvious but it could achieve the same thing.
>>
Dare I suggest we get kuugen on board for this? I know the thread had some sort of phobia about her, but she's a veteran writer and I have seen her give really good advice before.
>>
>>2283801
>some sort of phobia
Anon if you want to shitpost just shitpost, no need to dress it up. Besides she's most likely busy with her life.
>>
>>2283801
Doesn't she uses IRC? I'm pretty sure she did 9 years ago.
>>
File: wallpaper-2929213.jpg (187KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper-2929213.jpg
187KB, 1920x1080px
Maybe a weird request, but has anyone seen any good ....Monogatari series yuri? I'd about kill for some half-decent Senjo/Kanbaru.
>>
>>2281405
thank you
>>
>>2283780
>What's the finished one?
One about Neptune from Neptunia building her harem. The fic is titled Harem Building 101
>>
>>2283817
She hangs out in precure on rizon and obviously on twitter
I can't ask because she blocked me after I repeatedly posted stuff she told me via DM about Overheat in the neptunia thread
>>
>>2283886
There's a sequel in which

>the harem is already established and the MC 'enjoys' her girls.

>>2283892
How did she find out?
>>
>>2283892
I see everyone talking about this rizon thing, but I have no idea how to use it.
>>
>>2283929
It's an IRC thing/server/ application. One of those.
>>
>>2283927
Someone must have told her on twitter or in a review. I was blocked after "Direct messages are not for posting them on 4chan"
>>2283929
google IRC clients. A total noob can also use something like kiwi irc or mibbit.
>>
>>2283513
>Still, discord could work since you can get feedback discreetly, without having to show it off to everyone. I know how horribly anxious a writer can feel about that shit.

i think the amount of visitors to this thread is low enough that i doubt anyone is really going to get roasted, partially because a lot of us are apparently lazy.

we already sucked at critiquing anon's writing once this thread. i am part of the problem.

could just try critiquing here and if it's a problem then go through another channel.

>>2283801
emphatic "no thank you"
>>
>>2284153
Honestly, critiquing is best done anonymously.
Once you have a name attached to what you tell someone about their work, there's a whole mountain of social considerations which become relevant and can take precedent over being candid and honest.

The crux of the issue is that more people want their own work critiqued (because it directly benefits them) than critique another's work (which is purely charity). Thoughtful and indepth feedback takes time and effort and is generally a big pain in the ass. It also requires to some extent that you actually care about the work being produced or the one producing it. If you want that kind of feedback, look within the community of fans who you're producing work for and network there. You're far more likely to find someone that wants to help you improve your work among the people who love the series or subject you're writing about than by just casting your work into the anonymous sea and hoping something useful floats back.

Asking a bunch of fic writers on 4chan for feedback is like asking a group of teenagers what their favourite music is.
>>
>>2284153
We are too lazy even to roast people?
>>
>>2284262
>You're far more likely to find someone that wants to help you improve your work among the people who love the series or subject you're writing about than by just casting your work into the anonymous sea and hoping something useful floats back.
I disagree with you about that. I think a fresh perspective can be helpful to critique the writing style and the more basic elements of the story, I think sometimes people can get blinded by the fact that they really want to see that type of story or whatever, that they are likely to let some basic grammar and writing issues slide: particularly when the writer could really benefit by being told that. It is very hard to see your own errors, especially when surrounded by people tell you that it isn't there.

But it does take a lot of time and effort to give proper feedback. I don't think I give enough, but I do want to, it is just that currently I am rather uncertain about my ability to write; the last thing I want to give is incorrect advice. I am >>2283721 and also rather negative about my own ability to write.
>>
>>2282816
>>2282922
Finally finished reading this fic. Why the fuck do writers keep treating mind control and emotion manipulation magic as a good thing and a basis for a healthy relationship? It's no different from regular brainwashing, yet it is treated as a wish fulfillment fantasy.

Am I the last person who treats their mind as something that shouldn't be messed with under any circumstances and values privacy in general?
>>
>>2284435
probably.

>>2284262
if that's the case, and i think you're right, then it'd probably work to just have anons provide an e-mail if they want to critique a posted work privately. i think critique on the board could be useful, since it provides an opportunity for everyone to learn something.

i tried reading >>2283721's fic, but sorry anon, 1st person is a killer for me. i tried.

i am a native english speaker, however my grasp on the finer points of grammar isn't great. that said, i'm pretty sure you're abusing the semicolon.

i can post more of what i think if you want, or you can e-mail me at [email protected]. i'm hesitant to be doling out criticism though because i'm not sure what i consider good writing or reading to be the same as what the standard may be here.
>>
>>2284479
You're not the only one. I find mind control disgusting.
>>
>>2284480
Thanks for trying, even though you didn't like it.

> i'm pretty sure you're abusing the semicolon.
I thought so as well. I know there are quite a few mistakes in the first chapter, particularly relating to semi-colons. I am probably going to go back over it after I finish. I have tried to only use them when I am almost 100% certain that they are needed beyond the first chapter, but I also don't think that it is bad enough for me to fix it now.
Since I am still learning a lot of mistakes will be present.

Unfortunately I really like first person.

It would be good if you could post more, or post a review or PM me on FF as I would like to hear your criticism.
>>
>>2284561
i don't have a FFN account.

imo, semicolons should be used sparingly. it's not whether or not they've been technically used right, it's that there's way too many of them. if you're writing from a first person perspective, where

i can post more, but i need to sit down and word it properly. is there anything in particular you want to improve on? is there an author you like that you want to emulate?

it may help if another anon could chime in, after i get a better response together, because i'm not sure what i consider "better" is applicable. i don't read much fic for yuri anime, in part because i usually don't enjoy the writing. for example, i don't like kuugens writing at all, and she gets mentioned a lot.

it might be an unpalatable style for me, but if that's how people want to write and what others enjoy then i'm not going to be a dick about it. i can try to help with technical errors, im usually pretty good at catching tense agreement issues.
>>
>>2284583
Anon can review just fine
>>
>>2284561
Use a comma inside the quotation marks instead of a period unless the end of the quote is also the end of the sentence.

For example, this is correct:
"I really like scissoring," she said, turning away from me.

This is incorrect:
"I want to go to the beach." Ami said, suddenly naked.
>>
File: BqfykY0CYAIFJAJ.jpg (82KB, 800x1100px) Image search: [Google]
BqfykY0CYAIFJAJ.jpg
82KB, 800x1100px
>>2284601
>"I really like scissoring,"

Best example ever
>>
>>2284587
i don't want to push someone in a direction they don't want their writing to go.

that's why i asked for an example of a story anon likes so i can base my advice off of that.
>>
File: 44949598_p6.jpg (192KB, 1371x824px) Image search: [Google]
44949598_p6.jpg
192KB, 1371x824px
>>2284637
Totally unintentional. But that one manga chapter really made me want to write a story about Otoya's first victim and how their fateful night unfolded.
>>
>>2284583
Adding to this, because I'm a grammar nerd and love the topic, semicolons are cumbersome. Using a semicolon properly telegraphs to the reader that you will be tagging another independent clause (something that could stand alone as its own sentence) onto an existing sentence. Why bother? Big sentences can be technically correct but they're, well, big. Unless that independent clause is so important to the sentence you're attaching it to, so intimately, essentially related, there's not really any reason to tag it onto that sentence at all. If it really is that important or you manage to create a flow between the ideas that works super well then by all means go for it, just don't feel like you have to.

In general, a work with no semicolons at all will read better than one that misuses even a single semicolon --not grammatically, mind you, but stylistically speaking. If you aren't 100% confident your semicolon use is adding something meaningful to the way your prose is read, fuck 'em.
>>
>>2284583 here

>>2284736
thank you grammar nerd, for a good technical explanation.

>tfw you have put semicolons in your work and deleted them out of fear

please teach a semicolon master class. i don't even know what an independent clause is

also i realized i completely forgot to finish a sentence

>if you're writing from a first person perspective, where

your mc is telling the story, semicolons are going to feel weird. the story is coming straight out of your character's head and is narrated by their "voice". we don't usually think or talk in semicolons. unless your mc is, for lack of a better word, autistic.
>>
>>2284742
>we don't usually think or talk in semicolons
Speak for yourself; I do it all the time.
>>
>>2284736
Agree. Overuse of semicolons is far more common than properly used semicolons.

For example, these days, when I write, I notice that I put more semicolons than I used to before, but it's probably because I'm rusty, out of practice, and not as good with sentence construction as I used to be. I find that it's easy to use semicolons as a crutch, which is weird, because semicolons really stand out.
>>
>>2284745
your autobiography would give me a headache.
>>
>>2284749
That is weird. I often find constructing sentences to properly use semicolons and not sound fucking awful is more effort than otherwise. If anything, I tend to crutch more on using a comma + conjunction to string clauses together, which I suppose is just as bad even though it stands out less.

I always find that adding semicolons either makes things read like run-on sentences or else just reads too dry and list-like.
>>
I just briefly looked over my work and I think I've used one semicolon in the past six months. Must be a difference of style, I guess.
>>
>>2282568
>Saving fanfics on your computer
I used to do that, but I've got over a thousand of them. Without a way to filter or search, there'd be way too many.
>>
>>2282799
I use it a lot as a "Read it later" since FF doesn't have one of those.
>>
speaking of shit that gets used wrong all the time. Most writings I've read can't use epithets correctly to save their lives.
>>
>>2284790
Is there genuinely a 'correct' use for them in fiction? I was under the impression they were one of those things to avoid 100%. They always strike me as so sterile and dispassionate. In my own writing, I always find myself editing them out because referring to a character that way never seems to really fit the mood I'm going for, and I have trouble imagining a mood they would fit.

I'm surprised how often they appear in people's writing considering how much they tend to stand out. Like grammar syntax is one thing and it can be pretty subtle or obtuse to some readers, but you can't read your own work without noticing that the way you address your characters just sucks.
>>
>>2284776
Better than losing them forever. Just create a bunch of folders to sort them.
>>
>>2284790
>epithets

What is that?
>>
>>2284820
Nice thing about having so many is I can afford to lose a few. I never even remember which ones I've lost.
>>
>>2284795
>but you can't read your own work without noticing that the way you address your characters just sucks.
I assume the logic is that "she" is often ambiguous and using their names constantly is awkward, so here's some fresh descriptions. Except most people don't think of others (or themselves) like that unless they know literally nothing else about them, so it ends up coming off as weird.

>>2284823
Pretty sure it's using descriptors like "the blonde" or "the girl" to refer to your characters.
>>
>>2284885
Oh. If that's the case, I hate things like "pinkette", "bluenette" and other weird words.
>>
>>2284795
It's really not awkward to use pronouns or names.

Descriptors have a place, but it's a small place, and generally it's only for secondary characters. So better not to use them at all unless it really fits. But if you use the color of someone's hair in place of their name, you're doing it wrong (hypothetically).
>>
>>2284742
>we don't usually think or talk in semicolons. unless your mc is, for lack of a better word, autistic.
I think you are completely wrong. One of the most annoying aspects of natural speech and thought, is that it's like a stream of words and clauses, with one thought flowing to next; so semicolons are very useful to convey that aspect. But I do think semicolons are important, it adds meaning which wouldn't be there otherwise, but some writers use it more than others. Like I read “The Diary of a Madman” which was translated and edited by someone with a Ph.D. in literature, but there were some points where I think he overused the colon.

I also want to thank the person who PM'd me a very good critique again. It helped me a lot. I am going to update my first chapter as I think I need to now.

>>2284601
It is an error that I keep making, and somehow keep ignoring, when I edit. I have made a mental note to always check my use of speech marks. Your examples are great.

The main thing that surprised me was the amount of corrections that I was almost certain were already there, particularly with tenses. I think that goes to show how important it is to proofread properly and try to stop yourself from mentally correcting everything.
>>
>>2284893
I don't mind them being thrown in once or twice just to set a scene. Anime is tricky with the hair colours.
>>
I need to rewatch Teen Titans so I can write some Starfire/Raven, but I don't feel like it.
>>
>>2284885
>>2284893
But what if you have two characters that specifically do that to each other and anyone caught in the verbal crossfire of sorts? Like every time one starts they keep using different names against the other in a never ending series of digs.
>>
>>2285180
Dialogue doesn't follow the same rules as prose.
If a character has a speech quirk where they refer to others that way, it's fine, if a little weird, for them to speak that way. Just don't confuse speech with narration.
>>
>>2283861
I've considered writing Monogatari yuri for some time, but in keeping with canon (as I really try hard to do) it'd be extremely hard without including Araragi in some form. Every girl has a connection to him personality-wise, even if/when it's not romantic.

For Senjougahara, for example, you'd only be able to do it if you set it pre-series, or as a way for her to "tease" Araragi (like she and Hanekawa did at some point).

It wouldn't be impossible, and I suppose it could always be set AU, but I'm not sure if it'll be worth it.

That said, I also don't actually have any recs for you.
>>
>>2284736
If you think semicolons don't work, you're not using them right.
>>2284742
Read. Read. Read some more. Learn by example.
>>
How do you keep descriptive scenes that don't have any dialogue from becoming unwieldy blocks of text? For example, during a scene where a girl molests her sleeping friend. Is it best to break it up with the main character's internal dialogue, or just plow through it?
>>
>>2286457
>Is it best to break it up with the main character's internal dialogue

I guess if you do NOT do that, there is no point at all to the scene. It'd just be porn.
>>
>>2286464
>there is no point at all to the scene. It'd just be porn.
Perfect!
>>
>>2286464
Well, I am pretty much just writing porn, yeah. I don't plan on including much character development, but I don't want it to be as dry as a bone, either.
>>
>>2286511
What's the fandom?
>>
What really sells you on fanfiction or general literature?
>>
>>2286631
With fanfiction, I like how there are so many different communities that are constantly evolving. It's fun playing a VN/ watching an anime /etc. and thinking of the possible fanfictions that could arise from that. Since everything is written by fans, it also feels more personal than other media.
>>
>>2286631
You know how to ask a loaded question, don't you?

Sometimes it's an interesting plot hook the starts the whole story rolling, sometimes I love author's language enough to ignore any problems with plot/characters, sometimes it's complex worldbuilding and rational analytical protagonists who can tear said world apart when they think about it hard enough and something I'm feeling down and just want a sappy romance story with an inevitable happy end.
>>
>>2286631
With fanfic it's usually something I really want from a series but that it doesn't deliver on. I mostly write these days though and spend much less time reading fanfic. As for literature in general I tend to go looking for classics.
>>
>>2286631
Fanfic: yuri. If possible, a plot besides the romance. Like saving the world, fighting someone, solving a mystery, whatever.

Book: female protagonist, no heterosexuality and a decent plot. Lesbians are optional when it comes to books because they are fucking hard to find.

But I can't stand books that are only the angst of being homo, coming out of the closet and homophobia. Fuck that, there are too many stories like that, needs more creativity.
>>
>>2286582
I'm writing a Frame Arms Girl fic based on that manga that anon posted in the general thread. It involves AI robot x adult woman and contains cervical orgasms.
>>
>>2286678
>Book: female protagonist, no heterosexuality and a decent plot
So you would deliberately avoid some of the greatest literature works ever written just because they don't have yuri? As someone who can read basically anything I find this very hard to comprehend
>>
>>2284601
>Use a comma inside the quotation marks
That seems off.
What the character is saying is happening in a completely different reality that the narration. Why should dialogue adhere to syntax outside of itself? Shouldn't the comma go immediately after the quotation marks?
>>
>>2286685
It does not need to have yuri, it just needs to NOT have hetero because I'm really tired of it. Just give me a protag that has no love interest at all.
>>
>>2286700
When it's a period, inside quotation marks, it becomes a comma.

For things like exclamation marks and question marks, they remain so within the quotation marks. Such is law of English.
>>
>>2286457
Just break up the paragraphs. Instead of focusing singular paragraphs on a whole action, focus them on a single aspect or sensation. Make word economy a priority so that you keep your description focused on the most distinct and important aspects. If you find a paragraph going on too long, see if you can split it into two paragraphs or shift an idea into a different part of the scene. Dialogue often works as a nice crutch to force paragraph breaks, but lacking dialogue is no excuse to have 300 word paragraphs. Your reader will, presumably, like both what it is you're describing and how you describe it, the important part is to make sure it all flows together in a way that's natural and easy-to-read. Mitigate interfering factors that harm the reading-flow of your work and you'll find that the strength of your ideas will generally be enough to carry the rest.
>>
>>2286683
I wanna read that
>>
>>2286706
Thanks for the advice. I'm used to writing /d/ stuff, in which the focus is, for example, on the tentacles and their sliminess, and dialogue is generally restricted to complaining about said tentacles or asking where they came from. But just as you said, I broke it up into chunks to make it flow easier.
>>
>>2286717
I'm actually trying to puzzle my way through a tentacle fic at the moment and it's the first time I've handled the subject. Do you know of any good examples I can use as a basis for comparison?
>>
What are your thoughts about yuri fanfics that talk about menstruation?

I've only seen one in which a girl bleed on her bed during sleep then the girlfriend helped her to clean everything and taught her about basal body temperature. It was kinda cute in its own way.

(or so I think because it was in japanese and I used google translate)
>>
>>2286785
I've read one or two about girls earning their redwings, but it's not exactly my kink.
>>
I saw there was a new chapter of Clocktower, so I want to drop my thoughts on it here, because I know the writer comes here and might see them.

First, it's interesting to see a non-traditional first meeting of the two. Usually it goes the way it did in HA, initial interest and then the name comes out and both are at each others throats. Your approach was not as comic, but it was more realistic. Luvia did come off as far more Magus-Like. She is described as a Hyena in Case Files, which fits.

I think a bit more time should have be given to just how much of a fish out of water Rin is in London. For one, everyone speaks English, so given her rather poor skills with that language she'd have the language barrier as well to cope with, not to mention Heathrow Airport and London traffic. That might be something to think about for the future.

I presume soon the main story proper will begin, as in whatever cutthroat Clocktower Politics end up sucking in Luvia, and Rin with her. That will be interesting to see when we reach that. Because the story has far more potential than just 'girl meets girl' and it deserves to have that potential explored.
>>
>>2286785
Unless it is a plot point I don't see the reason for bringing it up
>>
>>2286837
Thank you for the feedback. I'm a regular visitor of these threads, but you can also post your thoughts directly as a comment to the fic. That way it's impossible for me to miss.

I left the language issues out simply because I wasn't sure how to handle the problem more realistically. Everyone speaking Japanese in the source material doesn't really make any sense either, so I thought I could excuse myself. Had I gone for the more realistic route, something I've had plenty of experience with personally, I would've had to restrict Rin's ability to communicate at all, which wouldn't fit with some of the ideas I have for later on. I did miss out on some potential by not using this possible issue though.

I'll be expanding the story's scope in the next chapter. I've planned for about 15 chapters or so and the first three are dedicated to setting up the pieces. Chapter three will be up in a few days unless I get sick again right after making a promise like I did last time.
>>
>>2285394
I mean, I don't mind if Araragi's in the story in some form or other, just like I wouldn't mind Kaiki or MayMay Oshino.

But to your actual point, I definitely disagree. I don't think it's that hard to find an at-least decent starting point with minimal involvement from Koyomi AND without going absolutely AU, if those are major concerns for you, especially with all the convenient holes in the series' timeline. Gay sisters Karen and Tsukihi, cute/creepy schoolgirl close friends Tsukihi and Sengoku, Kanbaru and her disciple Karen, tragic friends/rivals Kanbaru and Numachi, Kanbaru and her mother's old college friend Kagenui, Kagenui and her zombie assistant Yotsugi, Kanbaru and her aunt Gaen, etc., all just off the top of my head.

Of course, my personal thought was to do the opposite of what you said and go post-series instead - apparently, according to spoilers from the supposed last book (both chronologically and actually, so we'll see how that pans out), Araragi and Senjo have broken up and gotten back together multiple times by a couple years after Hana, which is pretty usable, especially in light of what a godawful person and boyfriend Koyomi really is and Kanbaru's stated intent to continue hunting Rainy Devil parts. Unfortunately I'm a terrible writer and progress is murderously slow.

I've looked a few places and found very little, and much less worth worth mentioning. The joys of being a fan of both yuri and a wonderful/horrible, brilliant, shitty otaku, yuri-baiting, is-this-weird-plot-point-just-a-crappy-writing-oversight-or-is-it-intentional-crazy-genius mixed bag-ass-hole like Nisioisin.
>>
>>2286940

There's things you could do with that language issue though, some real potential. I assume that Luvia speaks Japanese fluently, so she could use that to better lure Rin into complacency and get her trust. For Rin, suddenly having someone who speaks Japanese in a land as strange and foreign as England would be a small comfort that might blind her to Luvia's true motivations, or it could prick her concern and make her more wary of the strange blonde woman and her promises.

I can see several options for what kind of politics will intrude. There could be a Magus after Luvia who would want to use Rin as a pawn, or someone who wants to kill Rin and steal her family's inheritance. Either way, there's gold to mine.

You take as long as you need. Writing is something that you can't just will to happen. It comes when it does, and you use it when you can. I'll always be keeping an eye out.
>>
>>2286953
You're right about the potential and I was propably too quick to dismiss the issue when writing the second chapter. I was also afraid of getting bogged down in the details of how exactly to make that problem work, such as what languages everyone speaks in each and every scene. I have some hints towards the issue in the third chapter so I'll think about expanding it and hoping that no-one will notice my fuckup in chapter two.
>>
>>2286967
The details are what create the setting. The problem was, I think the lack of any. it could have been any airport anywhere on earth, it certainly didn't strike me as being Heathrow (Where she would likely disembark). I don't think you actually used the word London once either.

You really need to set the scene to show just how alien an environment such a place must be for Rin. Back home she knew her place. Here, she has none. Little details like struggling to read everything as it is in English, the chatter she can't quite pick up, when that security guard speaks to her the fact that it takes a second for her to pick up the meaning because he's speaking in English, little bits like that really do make it feel like the real world and help immerse yourself.

I'm sorry if I'm being harsh, but I believe very strongly in offering constructive criticism an Author can actually use to their befit. Platitudes of 'this is good', or 'i like this' help no-one. And you have a lot of potential that you should try to harness.
>>
>>2286974
>I'm sorry if I'm being harsh
Not at all. Nobody bothers offering actually useful critique unless they believe in the author's ability to improve. I dropped the ball on the details because all my focus was on the latter half of the chapter and fatigue was really setting in. I know that details and description are my weak point in general, but I don't really know how to add more without bogging myself down in perfectionism and anxiety.
>>
>>2286979
There comes a point where you bite the bullet and just post it. I've had that happen many times. It's the key reason I've been writing a story for over five years that is over 105,000 words long and still not complete (Hopefully will be this year, though I've said that for the last three years running).

I can well understand where you're coming from, but there needs to be a world around the characters, not just the characters themselves. It's a delicate balancing act. Even a few additional small features would do wonders at giving the world more of a tangible feel.
>>
>>2286985
Yeah, I've definitely been chewing on a lot of lead lately. I'll focus on adding more detail in the future. I think I might've screwed up the airport simply because my own experience of them is that they're hellholes to get out of as fast as possible, which propably leaked over into my writing. My next chapter looks better in that regard, but I'll definitely comb it over with description in mind.
>>
>>2286991
They are hellholes, no question. But it's more that its a foreign hellhole, and all the little details of it being foreign should stand out. It's your first experience of a different country, and you immediately notice the different language and writing. That alone is all you'd need to put in there.
>>
>>2286999
I know that experience very well, so it's honestly embarassing that I shit the bed on such a fundamental level. I'll try to draw more from my own experience in the future instead of treating things as obvious enough to myself that they don't need to be written about. It's another pitfall of mine. Thanks again.
>>
>>2287004
I'm just glad to help. I like the chance to help fellow authors improve themselves. Being an author is a hard task, and after many long years of it sharing hard-earned truths is the least I can do to give something back.
>>
Any good fanfics about Truth or Dare?
>>
I'm about to finish a fanfic I've been working on and off on for the past four years, but what's with this weird feeling of melancholy? I was reading back old chapters (and cringing at how I wrote back then) and thinking about how much things changed, and now I just feel this weird bittersweet feeling of letting the characters go. Oh well...Anyone else ever feel like this?
>>
>>2287035
Of course. It's normal. My story is the same, and while it is far from done it is weird to go back and read it. When I do I usually end up rewriting whole paragraphs. I think it's part of the relationship an author has to their work and to their characters. Even in Fanfiction you in part own those characters when writing them, and they become more than fiction, they become real people in a way to you.
>>
>>2287035
I'm the exact opposite. I finished a story with 50 chapters recently, took 3 years, and I am so glad I now have the time to pursue and write another story. Still like my finished story, but I am also hype I can get started on a new fic now.
I blatantly stole the idea for the new story from another writer on twitter and I give no shits ey
>>
>>2287057
based
>>
Girlish Number, Kansai girl x Blue Haired girl

tps://www.fanfiction.net/s/12403340/1/Girlish-Number-A-Storm-in-Kansai
http://archiveofourown.org/works/10271678
>>
>>2262272
Does anyone know which program I use to download fanfiction from fanfiction.net and the file come with the cover?
I have the fanfiction downloader, but it does not download the file with the cover
>>
>>2287478
calibre with fanficfare plugin.
>>
>>2287491
Thank you
>>
>>2287491
>fanficfare
I installed the plug-in, but it's taking so long to download the fanfic
Is it slow anyway or did I do something wrong?
>>
>>2287549
it can take a while if there are a lot of chapters. you could try downloading a short fic to test if it's working right.
>>
>>2286724
Unfortunately, no, sorry. Although I used tentacles as an example, I've never actually written a story with them. My forte was in size-change stuff. Sorry if I misled you.
>>
>>2287555
I think I found a problem
If I download the mobi version the cover does not appear.
But if I download the epub version and then convert to mobi the cover appears
Very strange this
>>
Does a sex scene use present tense or past tense or both? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>2287789
Whatever tense you're already using. It's super jarring when a scene suddenly switches tense.
>>
>>2285088
>Like I read “The Diary of a Madman” which was translated and edited by someone with a Ph.D. in literature, but there were some points where I think he overused the colon.

using "the diary of a madman" might not be the best evidence for a character narrating with excessive semicolons to read as not-autistic. the main character is meant to be a lunatic, and as such his narration will reflect that.

also, a story following the perspective of a japanese lesbian schoolgirl may not mesh with a narration style that was utilized by a russian writer in 1835, and then translated by a Ph.D.

the "as an aside" part is confusing, since we're already in a recollection. would suggest moving it or ditching it.

this sentence: But she wasn't, I later learnt that she had reached the point where she could no longer ignore both her homosexuality and her lust for me and my boobs; she had to do something to keep her sexual frustrations from controlling her mind.

would stop me from reading just about anything. too many "ands" before semicolon. find a different word to use besides "boobs", it doesn't fit with the rest of the high-brow language. this reads very technically, which to me, is incongruous with describing what would be a very emotional turning point for a character.

dialogue feels clunky, not sure if that's a consequence of the original media having subtitles or not.

>>2286217
i don't think anon thinks they don't work ever, i think the post more has to do with the fact that semicolons have very specific applications, and an improperly used semicolon is usually going to be more obvious than something like a comma splice. suggests erring on the side of "fuck em" because of that.

i read, not as much as i'd like, but recently with critical intent more often than i used to. a lot of grammar terminology never stuck with me though.
>>
>>2286700
>>2286704

in american english, periods and commas always go inside quotes. i don't always do this.

exclamation points and question marks can only go outside quotes if you're like asking a question about an object in the quotes.

>Do you find the most pleasurable activity "scissoring"?

britbong english doesn't follow the same rules. they also use ' for dialogue instead of ".

http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp

internet will explain it better than I ever can.
>>
>>2287952
Most important is probably picking one and sticking to it desu
>>
>>2287789
Never switch tense. If you're using one tense for the work, write the sex scene in that tense.
Past tense is generally easier to read, especially for casual readers that aren't super-engrossed in your work, so it's usually the default. In general, past tense is more contemplative while present is more 'in the moment' so to speak, so choose whichever fits the mood of your work as a whole better and stick with it.
>>
>>2287206
The idea is "Japan Sengoku Period with all big figures replaced by Senran Kagura girls"
I'm most likely going to be planning the plot for the next 3-4 months.
>>
http://archiveofourown.org/works/6594247/chapters/15085303
>you'll never be an alcoholic Eli amd abuse Hanayo in your drunken rage
Feels bad man
>>
>>2288809
>feels bad

That's just your shit taste making you sick.
>>
>>2264829
Well, I think the tone is too jarring compared to the anime's and manga's lightheartedness for me to enjoy it,or rather, care about it, since I never gave more thought about the characters' interactions in yuru yuri besides "aw cute", "lol funny" and "just kiss already REEEEE".

Nonetheless, at least your writing style has some personality, which isn't the case of most fanfics, even popular ones, and I'm not a big fanfic reader for that reason. I think most feedback you'll get will tend to push you to be duller, and while this could bring you more readers and maybe fans, it'll drive people like me away; thing is, we aren't that many to begin with, since we avoid fanfics altogether, so if you aim for popularity it's not a good bet. It boils down to what you want I guess: easy popularity, or enjoying yourself by trying something different and becoming good at it.
>>
I haven't updated my fics in so long, I forgot what a dopamine rush getting reviews are. I'm not even getting many reviews, just two. But just that two were enough to brighten my whole day. This shit is like crack.
>>
>>2288947
I know that feel, anon.

>Used to write exclusively on FF
>Find Ao3
>Publish my first work in a very long time
>Views and Kudos in clear view on the summary/link of the work
>Refresh the page every half hour to see if it went up.
>>
>>2288949
I used to have such a big review addiction, I tried turning off my email notifications for getting reviews...Instead I just ended up refreshing and seeing if the count went up.
>>
>>2288949
Inversely,
>First year everything goes up by the week.
>Second year writing improves and ratio of read/kudo goes down, but total goes down.
>Third year ratio still going down but long stretches of no response after initial posting activity.
>>
>>2288961
As in as you got better you got less kudos and views?
>>
>>2288967
As it gets better the total views have gone down along with total kudos, but the there are more kudos per views if that makes sense.

Not sure how to feel about it when objectively vast progress yields less interest and respons.
>>
>>2288975
People want easy things.
>>
>>2288976
Not sure what you mean by easy, but even if that means green text writing quality only consisting of dialog and onomatopoeia?
>>
>>2288990
People like that kind of shit.

But I think generally fanfic readers come into fanfics wanting easily digestible characters and plot and are not so much into complexity.
>>
>>2288991
>easily digestible
Does anon have a secret vore fetish?
>>
>>2288991
>>2289047
I have a fetish for complex plots and worldbuilding
>>
>>2289106
I share that same fetish anon. You are not alone.
>>
>>2289106
>>2289148
Thirding this.
>>
>>2289106
>>2289148
>>2289163
Why not read actual literature, then?
You're far more likely to find good plot crafting and worldbuilding in the genre fiction section of your local bookstore than amateur sappho-erotic derivative works published online by hobbyists. There seems to be a disconnect between what you're looking for and where you're looking for it.
>>
>>2289166
Have you seen the "literature" that's been commercially published over the last decade+? Most of it isn't in any way better than some of the best fanfics out there. There are several sci-fi/fantasy authors and book series that still manage to stay on the level, but the majority is just absolute drek written as a time waster or for a transparent wish fulfillment.

It may sound weird, but I have an easier time finding a good fanfic or an original web serial than a published book.
>>
>>2289166
Finding a fic that is likely to contain the desired qualities is much easier than looking for a book that is sufficiently good.
>>
>>2289166
>actual literature
Provide me Sappho's treatise on incestuous love and I'll consider switching full time to literature
>>
File: 1395968320445.gif (756KB, 1182x702px) Image search: [Google]
1395968320445.gif
756KB, 1182x702px
>>2289173
Especially now that self-publishing is becoming a thing, considering published fiction to be some kind of standard for quality is rather outdated. Publishers follow trends, picking up writers they think will make a profit, not stories they consider particularly good. You can see this whenever a genre becomes popular - it's not that authors suddenly start writing more of if, but instead more of what's already out there gets published. Now, if those publishers could actually keep track of people want, there wouldn't be such a huge market for self-published work that never makes the cut for being printed.
>>
>>2289173
Interestingly, I had a conversation about this with a professional editor I don't see eye-to-eye with and the whole deal turned into him lecturing about the 'objectively best writing style' and so on. I believe "fuck art" was a direct quote I managed to commit to memory during the tirade and the general upshot was that the less like a novel something reads and the more like a newspaper article, the better it is.

Historically, the advantage that professionally published novels have over self-published ones is the benefit of editing by people who edit prose for a living and are, presumably, pretty good at it. The atrophy of modern fiction seems to stem from the stagnation of editing schools into what is essentially a series of pretentious pricks that think their personal preference is the solution to every penned problem. At least, that's what I drew from my anecdote.
>>
>>2289259
Very good point about editing. Pacing issues, bloated chapters, generic filler, not to mention your usual grammar and spelling errors are sadly typical for the vast majority of the fics. Publishers may not guarantee interesting story content, but they can at least ensure some basic technical competence.
>>
>>2289284
Having an editor is definitely essential to producing good work. Sometimes it's just not possible to ever distance yourself enough from something you've written to realize that you've simply made a simple mistake.

Pacing is one of the biggest things but also cases where something just comes across differently in the way you're written it vs what's in your head. When you know exactly what the idea is, it's really hard to tell when the words you've put down don't give that idea. I even find this in lewd writing and it helps a tonne to have someone that can just tell me "yeah I can see what you're going for here but it just wasn't really doing it for me."
>>
File: 1458977311702.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1458977311702.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
>>2289106
l-lewd!
>>
>>2289173
>Most of it isn't in any way better than some of the best fanfics out there

Specially the ones that become movies, like 50 shades and twilight.
>>
>>2288991
Sometimes I get tired of slice of life and one-shots and I feel like reading longfics full of action, adventure and shit. Too bad some of these stories get abandoned.

Actually I'd probably read more longfics if there were more of them in my fandoms. I don't like reading stuff from series I don't know/don't watch, even if it's yuri.
>>
>>2289308
Twilight is explicitly teen romance schlock that got inexplicably popular among non-teen demographics, which has actually become a trend lately. Teen fiction is never particularly exceptional writing or storytelling but it's also not trying to be because that's not what its audience is looking for. Most fanfiction, especially /u/ related stuff, is appealing to pretty much the same reader demographic, albeit with slightly more cunnilingus.
>>
>>2289166
>Why not read actual literature, then?
because I want lesbians
>>
>>2289343
Good answer
>>
>>2289259
My mom's a professional writer. Editors exist mainly to tell you what sells. Chop out the niche parts of your story, add some stuff publishers will actually like. They don't make it better, but they make it much more marketable.
>>
New thread:
>>2289422
>>2289422
>>2289422
Thread posts: 458
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.