[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fanfiction Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 14

File: 1465265826732.jpg (93KB, 500x702px) Image search: [Google]
1465265826732.jpg
93KB, 500x702px
Last one dropped off the board and nobody else volunteered to make another. Anything that doesn't have it's own thread that is fanfiction goes here, as well as general fanfiction discussion shit.

So how do you girls feel about fics where the f/f romance isn't the focus of the fic, but is still the main pairing?
>>
>>2243381
I avoid everything that isn't tagged F/F because I can't know beforehand what the fic actually contains. I'm not in favor of mixing M/F, F/F & M/M content simply because it makes it harder to look for the stuff you actually want to read. Fanfic authors have trouble enough summarizing their fics when only a single pairing is involved.
>>
>>2243381
I really like fics that focus more on the plot than the pairings, but still have yuri in them.
>>
am I the only one who hates when the authors write something like this
>I lost all the interest in this fandom
>im not obligated to update the story
why don't they finish the story once for all?
I'd rather read a rushed ending than being forever in hiatus
>>
>>2243421
Be careful what you wish for. Red a story that went through 6 or 7 chapters before the last one had one of the girls just marry a guy out of nowhere while the other went through painful internal monologue about forced smiles.

They came back to write a proper ending chapter with them together like a year and a half later after something like forty reviews going "wtf?" but still.
>>
>>2243421
>>2243427
This is why I try to engage with the authors in fanfiction when I can and let them know what I like and dislike about a fic.
>>
>>2243421
>I'd rather read a rushed ending than being forever in hiatus

Same. Actually I think even a summary of what would happen in the ending would be better than nothing. Then again, I get the feeling some of those fics I read that went on hiatus, the author did no planning at all, they just made stuff up as they went, so they don't even have a proper ending planned.
>>
>>2243421
I take great care to actually leave reviews that aren't just "good job, more pls" to prevent this from happening. What authors want is not the positive validation of their work but engagement. I mean it is kinda in the name.
FANfiction. They like the same shit we do, and talking to them about the fandom will help their interest stay fresh and attached.
>>
>>2243421
Writer's block sucks.
>>
File: fanficgraph.png (163KB, 932x867px) Image search: [Google]
fanficgraph.png
163KB, 932x867px
Have random fanfic graph.
>>
>>2243489
NicoMaki STRONK
we need more rinpana fics, they're the cutest pairing after all
>>
>>2243489
I'm surprised NozoEli is that low.
>>
So is there any difference between AO3 and fanfic.net? I'm assuming that ff.net has less autism, but does it really matter in the end where I should want to put stuff?
>>
>>2243493
Everyone likes them, but no one seems to know what to write about them. Most fanfics with them either have them as a beta couple for NicoMaki or go AU.

>>2243494
ff.net has significantly more 12-year-olds and a terrible sorting system, but I'd use both.
>>
>>2243493
Yep... that's because I appear to have made an error.

NozoEli is split between two different tags on AO3 for some reason. I accidentally only recorded the lowest one.

There's some other smaller errors too.
>>
File: fanficgraph.png (137KB, 1071x847px) Image search: [Google]
fanficgraph.png
137KB, 1071x847px
Here's a fix

I'd like to know how to compare this to fanart or doujins, but I wouldn't know how to get good data on that.
>>
>>2243494
You get to abuse the tag system on AO3.
>>
>>2243494
Ff has age on Ao3 and some fandom never shifted so things might be sparse on Ao3. You have 12yos on ff and Ao3 can house some of the worst of tumbleh with their infuriating tagging system
>>
>>2243494
Ao3 has a more pleasant layout for reading imo. It's got an option to show the whole fic at once instead of chapter by chapter which is insanely useful if you want to find something in a fic you read (or just smut terms). It's also a lot easier to find things in through search, regardless of how annoying the tags can get/how annoying the things search lacks are (ff.net lack all the same things and more anyway).

Unrelated to their quality as platforms, in addition to simply being far more skewed towards western works than ff.net, it feels like the weeb fics that do make it on Ao3 are way shorter than on ff.net, but that might just be the small sample-size.
>>
>>2243513
>It's got an option to show the whole fic at once instead of chapter by chapter
That's really the only thing I like about AO3. That is just such a good function.
>>
>>2243494
In theory lewd stuff can get your fic removed on ff.net right? So Ao3 has that going for it at least.

Also, it's way easier to filter out het on Ao3. Granted the few fics out there that get tagged with m/f for a side-couple or whatever I miss out on is a bit of a pity, but MORE than worth it to not have to slog through a shit-ton of m/f stuff trying to find what I want.

ff.net definitely has bigger fandoms for anything older than a couple years, and several things more recent too.
>>
>>2243516
>In theory lewd stuff can get your fic removed on ff.net right?
I hear this, but I still can find a fuck-ton of lewd stuff on there. Popular shit too.
>>
>>2243518
Yeah I've generally had no problem finding smut there, but I've also come across cases of authors claiming their fics were removed and some who just only post the lewd stuff on Ao3 accounts and not both.

I figure it's just a case where someone has to actually report your fic before anyone even has a chance of giving a shit, and even then they might just not bother, or need repeated reports from multiple people or something before they check.
>>
>>2243521
You're about right with that, unless Admins on FFn are cracking down for whatever reason they generally don't care outside of mass reports.
>>
Do you prefer straight up sex scenes or heavily implied ones?
>>
>>2243525
Depends on the situation. Sometimes they're definitely best skipped past, sometimes I feel like they make sense to write out. That said I generally prefer my sex scenes to focus more on the non-sex stuff if that makes sense. Describing how they feel, what noises they make, what sensations they experience etc rather than the act of fingering or cunnilingus or whatever.
>>
>>2243525
Gratuitous and sloppy sex.
>>
>>2243523
The admins know about the smut and they know where it is, but getting rid of it all will destroy their site revenue, so they just delete like one every year on whim to make it look like they enforce that rule. It' just like this site. 99% of the posts on here don't follow the established rules and neither are they heavily enforced.
>>
Any good advice on writing smut scenes?
>>
>>2243535
Everyone's tastes are different and yours will get called shit no matter what you write.

Obviously some are worse than others though.
>>
>>2243494
honestly, I think there is no difference in the quality of fics in both sites.
>>
>>2243525
explicit sex scenes

>>2243527
>That said I generally prefer my sex scenes to focus more on the non-sex stuff if that makes sense. Describing how they feel, what noises they make, what sensations they experience etc rather than the act of fingering or cunnilingus or whatever.

same
>>
>>2243513
I pressed the "whole fic" button by accident on a fic that is like 700k words long and my browser crashed
>>
>>2243535
Write the scene, then double the wordcount with fluff, then delete a third of the whole thing.
>>
>>2243494
ff.net has way more self-insert bullshit that's also harder to dodge due to their sorting. the site is old and it's starting to show.

ao3 has a great tagging system that people use like retards. it lets you filter out what you don't want, but you have to dodge specific nonsense like people making characters trannies and fat or black. if you make an account you can also skin the site as well as "hide creator tags" which gets rid of a good amount of clutter.

i prefer ao3 because i can find what i want faster, but a lot of it is going to come down to what fandom you're into, and how old it is.
>>
I'm looking for a place to find some Dark Souls/Bloodborne fanfics. There're pretty rare so if anyone have some good recs, it'll be much appreciated.
>>
>>2243384
M/M shit is always such a horrible distraction in F/F fics. And it's also gross. I prefer to just specifically exclude it if I'm doing a tag search on ao3.
>>
>>2243535
Read famous erotica to learn what to do.
>>
>>2243807
And read 50 Shades on what NOT to do.
>>
>>2243535
Read a lot of smut. For f/f smut focus on creating an emotional arc.
>>
>>2243552
Why are browsers so fucking shit? 700k words is, like, nothing?
>>
>>2243891
700k words is way too fucking much to tell most stories.
>>
>>2243941
As a plain text display, I meant. Never mind the fic.
>>
>>2243436
That is the type of comment that means the most to me, because it can actually help me to improve my writing. I wish I had a lot more reviews, mainly like that.

>>2243421
Yeah, witnessing good fanfiction, that you have been following for a while, suddenly stop is awful. I would much rather "The Trial" type ending, than >>2243427 but something is almost always better than nothing.
>>
>>2243964
Giant .txt files always seem to wreak havoc on my toaster in a way that, say, word documents don't. I don't know enough CS to be able to say why but it is annoying.
>>
I think the comment/review system is awful on both fanfiction.net and AO3. The biggest issue with both of those sites is they have no community even in the larger genres.

Been this way for years. I've thought a thing needed would be a chan type board with a basic archiving system on the side - Authors can attach images to each post along with the users but they can also comment freely inbetween chapters and just have a normal discussion on whatever. That's what I think fanfiction needs - the ability to banter and joke around with others and discuss things normally. Right now every fanfiction site is too limiting in terms of how discussion takes place. Fanfiction.net needlessly divides the community into smaller and smaller forums with only reviews and pms which whilst you can have some intelligent discussions it lacks the need for fast volatile discussion that can get an author to want to post more. Archive of Our Own has no community either really.
>>
>>2244136
>the ability to banter and joke around with others and discuss things normally
I want this so bad. Kudos are nice and all but I'd love to discuss stuff with people.
>>
>>2244136
>>2244141
You get a little of this on tumblr, but it comes with its own problems.
>>
>>2244136
That would be great, actually. I would love to be able to directly talk to my readers.
>>
>>2244151
Make a discord or something.
>>
>>2244136
I said awful for years but what I should say is that there has been virtually no community on either site from their inception. Granted the forums on fanfiction used to be more active than now but I'd say the communities were never really there and I've been browsing ff.net from it's inception. People just used it as a central archive for a number of sites where actual discussion takes place.
>>
>>2244152
Discord is too much of a circle jerk. What fanfiction needs is anonymous image board culture. I mean memes and drawfags. Jokes. Banter. Shitposting. Etc. The works. Right now there is no community beyond what tumblr and basically this thread.

>>2244142
Tumblr is a circle jerk as well. Fanfiction needs anonymous posters and authors being able to joke around and shoot the shit without any crap getting in the way. Reviews/Comments are all unnecessary. What authors crave is an audience that they can communicate with and have fun with. It doesn't have to stay on topic and doesn't need to be nice. Just needs to actually exist.
>>
>>2244220
>I want a circlejerk without it being considered a circlejerk
Might I suggest you get friends?
>>
>>2244220
>memes
You mean fucking in jokes. Yeah no, memes are a terrible thing when forced. Also just get friends
>>
>>2244221
I said it doesn't need to be nice. As in users can go in and tell the author his fic sucks and he should kill himself. Every site currently out there has tons of rules on etiquette in regards to posts and what content is and is not allowed.
>>
>>2244220
I did say it came with its own problems and the echo chamber nature is one of them. When I think back, livejournal was actually a pretty good fandom platform.
>>
>>2243891
700,000 words is like 2x the entire LOTR trilogy

>>2244136
Kuugen used to come here and discuss her fics with people after an update, specifically in the precure thread. People got super upset about that. Now she doesn't come around anymore and we resort to second-hand quoting her twitter posts.
>>
>>2244232
How did people get upset about that? God the new generation getting on the net is the worst.
>>
>>2244234
Probably something to do with attention-whoring, or at least with being perceived as an attentionwhore.
>>
>>2244232
>Kuugen
And nothing of value was lost
>>
>>2244234
>>2244239
More petty than that. The author being around increased discussion and the people that didn't like the fic didn't want that to happen so they started arguments with everyone over it
You know, people like >>2244243
>>
fandoms that you want more yuri of? for me it is starcraft
>>
File: 1471455438686.jpg (1MB, 1920x1697px) Image search: [Google]
1471455438686.jpg
1MB, 1920x1697px
>>2244245
Everything ever. Seriously though, Fate.
>>
>>2244245
Star wars. Goddamn it I want sith ladies corrupting jedi or just anything involving it I've been on a star wars kick lately.
>>
>>2244244
I have yet to read anything by Kuugen that couldn't have been improved by slashing at least a quarter of the word count and that's just her one shots, so maybe she should have stuck around and I could have told her that. I've nothing against her personally.
>>
>>2244244
What need to be understood is that there's only so much that can be said about someone writing before it become a circlejerk and Kuugen already had one of those at the time.
>>
>>2244249
>Star Wars

Meh... it seems like only the cartoons and maybe KotOR have decent shipping potential. I can't think of any likely relationships from the movies or EU.
>>
>>2244250
I personally disagree. Then again, I read a bunch of fics that spend nearly three paragraphs describing a single hand motion with so much detail that I forgot what was being described at times.

>>2244251
Of course that is true, but I am talking about those people being offended after 4 posts right after an update. And those chapters were huge, half the size of a full light novel volume.
>>
>>2244252
There is TOR but that has the very huge risk of OCs because of the class stories and how they're all kind of gently interconnected via their faction or companions.
>>
>>2244252
Star Wars in general has sort of gotten incredibly meh in the last few years.
>>
>>2244253
Her writing constantly goes off on self-indulgent tangents about things that aren't relevant to the story and never come up again as well as having weird issues with contractions. I can deal with well written purple prose I've read a lot of ShizNat in the past, but her writing bogs down her action and she doesn't have a deft enough hand for shiting on about nothing.
>>
>>2244259
Contractions are used by people that speak less formal. Those that speak politely don't use them.

I don't know about the rest. I am not even sure what you mean by
>self-indulgent tangents
Tangents, sure, but self-indulgent?
>>
>>2244261
Which I could accept except she has the same characters switching between contracting and not contracting seemingly at random and with no apparent regard for how the sentence flows.
>self-indulgent
There's a bizarre amount of apparently pointless trivia about Europe in her Symphogear fic that serves no purpose except to demonstrate that she can apparently Google. Or so I thought until I found out she was European and apparently that's what she was demonstrating instead.
>>
>>2244265
I thought it gave some nice believable research to their planned trip. Tsubasa is not the type to go just anywhere without a plan.

A person talking politely or not also changes based on the situation. If I see a contraction, I assume they are talking really casually. No contraction means polite. In the absence of factors that let me tell, I just assume what the character is usually like. Like Reika would talk formally, Akane wouldn't. (Precure)

I didn't start posting with the intent of defending Kuugen, but I suppose I am now? It's just how I read her stuff after all those years.
>>
>>2244267
It didn't read as conversational to me though, it seemed like a plodding Chekov's itinerary that never led to anything and therefore just bored me.

I'm aware of the manner in which contractions are used, including in lieu of caps for emphasis and exclamations. Hence why I said seemingly at random. I'm not familiar with Precure, but I've read a reasonable body of fic with very polite characters over the years from different cultures.

Apparently you're very fond of Kuugen. Out of curiosity, is English your first language?
>>
>>2244281
I dunno, I liked reading that they actually put in some research about where they go. When I went to Rome in 2010, I did the same. It felt in-character for Tsubasa, too. Especially so if it came across as boring for (you)Chris.

English is my second or third language, I would say. Italian is my first, and I moved to germany with my parents when I was about 6 and lived there ever since. I never really got all that good at it and picked up English when I was 14, so give or take 10 years ago. I am definitely better at English than I am at German, hence the trouble making the distinction what to call it.
>>
>>2244281
>>2244291
If you two are going to keep this up, please sage.
>>
>>2244249
I posted a few links to some barrisoka fics I liked in the disney thread. Though star wars is a bit limited when it comes to shipping potential unless you pull from the Tortanic.
>>
>>2244291
It's not necessarily the nature of the conversation, but the delivery. It felt like an info dump, rather than being natural.

I think this may be the crux of the matter. I don't think the things that bother me stick out to someone who's ESL. (No offence meant.)

Kuugen's fic is fine. It gets the job done. I just think she could benefit from some judicious editing, and that was what started this whole conversation anyway. Maybe I should just leave a review for the fic in question.

>>2244293
I'm done anyway.
>>
>>2244299
I consider myself a veteran Kuugen reader so I really know how much she needs an editor. I'm not qualified, my English is barely as good as hers, if even as good at all. I don't always see where the editor really needs to work because I'm an ESL. She's tried dozens of times to get editors and it always ends in huge delays and no visible improvement.

On this topic, lets be real here for a sec. There are so many EFLs whose English is so much worse than Kuugen's, or mine, that I feel the whole EFL/ESL thing is very often also very moot. People like to brag about being EFL in the same sentence where they use you're instead of your. Not you, mind you, but I have seen this hundreds of thousands of times on the net.
>>
>>2244305
>There are so many EFLs whose English is so much worse than Kuugen's, or mine

Nah. Not being a good writer doesn't mean their English is bad.
>>
>>2244307
Did you even read the full paragraph?
At least half the Americans on 4chan have noticeably worse English than many ESL writers.
>>
>>2244305
>spend an hour and a half defending Kuugen
>admit she could benefit from an editor
Anon.

I also knew the moment I started being snide was the comment I'd overlook a typo in.
>>
>>2244311
I don't see how being able to profit from an editor invalidates any of my points. Almost any work will be better with an editor. Doesn't mean that the work as-is does everything wrong or that everyone who claims it does something wrong is correct about that particular issue.
>>
>>2244307
Anon yeah, have you ever looked at the internet?
>>
>>2244310
Really hope you don't actually believe this, but considering what ESLs on /int/ are like I think maybe you do. Posters on 4chan are writing casual comments in a hyper-colloquial style and not proof-reading before they post, it's not indicative of anything.
>>
>>2244152
If Discord were around in the 2008-2010 time period where I was actually popular, I might have considered it.

Now I have a life and I only update one story.
>>
>>2244316
You realize that your post is the linguistic excuse equivalent to "I was only pretending to be retarded", right?
>>
>>2244324
Nah.
>>
>>2244220
>memes
>Shitpost

Oh no. I wouldn't like to be spammed with retarded frog pictures the whole day.
>>
>>2244251
Kuugen has a few whiteknights right now.
>>
>>2244259
Only fic by Kuugen I read is Overheat. And as much as I like lesbian sex, the sex in Overheat is not very good. It's mostly a bunch of degenerate side characters that no one cares about and said characters talk about fucking all the time. It's like everyone in that goddamn world is obsessed with sex and big breasts (she let her own personal taste leak into the fic here, increasing people's boobs for no good reason). Even the main characters talk about sex way too much, one of the chapters was like 1/3 Rom x Ram and Natal x Windy fucking, holy shit.
>>
>>2244293
Why? It's good to keep the thread alive
>>
>>2244362
I keep seeing this complaint and I keep thinking in what parallel universe those people exist?
Since there have been multiple stretches of 5-10 chapters without anyone fucking or talking about it.
And then we had like 2 yuri heavy chapters back to back after a long dry-spell, and we get factually wrong posts like yours.

You sound like you just want to create some kind of additional justification that overshadows your personal dislike of two characters getting bigger boobs in a cast of like 20 main characters, simply to distract from how petty that dislike it. This is completely ignoring the obsession the source material has with boobs, too.
>>
I love how I've been on /u/ fanfic threads for over 4 years now and people still get their panties in a twist over Kuugen.
>>
>>2244368
Try a decade.
>>
>>2244265
>trivia about Europe

not exactly the same thing, but that reminds me of people making Japanese characters have USA-style breakfast/lunch/dinner instead of stuff that japanese people actually eat.

Want a lesson on japanese food: maybe reading Aoishiro will help.

talking about it, all japanese people I follow on twitter often post pictures of food. What's with japanese people and food?
>>
>>2244305
>People like to brag about being EFL in the same sentence where they use you're instead of your

I have seen this too. I get the feeling most of these people are Americans.
>>
>>2244369
>>2244368
I doubted myself and went check. First fanfic published by Kuugen is from 2008. April
So at most, almost 9 years. I can't believe it's been that long. I don't think I know any other fanfic writer that has been at it for that long.

>>2244371
What if they are eating non-japanese foods constantly in the actual show?
>>
>>2244378
Then you haven't been looking in the right fandoms. Some of the Ranma 1/2 people have been doing this stuff for nearly 20 years.

I've had an account that I update myself on since 2006, even.
>>
>>2244371
I read an otherwise pretty good Agents of Shield fic the other day that kept having the British characters say mom which irritated me to no end.
>>
>>2244382
I only read yuri fanfic. I thought it was obvious I meant yuri fanfic writers.
>>
>>2244385
Some of the Kigo people have been doing their thing for longer than that too.
>>
>>2244385
There's definitely some femslash authors who've been around 15-20 years, but yuri authors seems to be more shortlived. I think it's the nature of the generally short stand-alone series.
>>
>>2244389
I am just one anon, so I can't know about all of it. I am not into Kim Possible, too. I have this horrible habit of really caring about series that few other people care about. That's why I read so much of Kuugen, I guess.

>>2244390
I think a much bigger part is that most of the writers do write between college and a job, or during college and so they vanish when they get a job.
>>
>>2244366
And I wonder in what kind of universe you live. In every single chapter at least someone talks about sex/fucking. Even if they don't actually fuck, all this talk gets tiring after 40 chapters.

>the obsession the source material has with boobs, too.

Doesn't mean it is a good thing. Actually it is one of the annoying things in the anime industry, all that "comparing boob size/jealous" cliché. I think 48394834 animes doing this joke is more than enough, we don't need any more of it.

Besides, the fact that 50% of Vert dialogue is boob jokes is one of the reason many people don't like her. The other reason is that the other 50% of the time is spent on "I want a little sister".
>>
>>2244368
Thank her whiteknights.
>>
>>2244391
>I have this horrible habit of really caring about series that few other people care about

Same. Just look at this 0 Ange Vierge fics and inexistent fandom.
>>
>>2244392
>In every single chapter
But that's false.
And strangely, it is always the same type of post that I see complaining about this, which leads me to believe that you are the only one that gets so upset about it.

The rest of your post just goes on about subjective things. You don't like boob focus, I don't mind it, others I know enjoy it. None of the three groups is objectively more correct than the other two.
And Vert has plenty of character in the story outside of the usual boob and little sister talk, so I am not even sure what you're on about with that.

>>2244396
I really loved Final Fantasy Type 0. I so wanted to find a good yuri fic for that. Joke is on me for all eternity. I could make a hundred, at least, examples like that.
>>
>>2244391
And yet western fandoms manage to retain some authors for literally decades, while yuri struggles to retain authors from season to season. Obviously the fact that it's a hobby people do in the spare time has a huge part to do with it, but it's also easier to maintain interest when you have a constant drip feed of material to write about. Western f/f fiction has gone from strength to strength over the last 20 years (From at least Star Trek Voyager and Xena onwards) while anime has isolated shows that explode in popularity and then fade, often in relative isolation from one another.
>>
>>2244399
The base default size of the fanbase also plays into this. Something like Xena will have a much more massive fanbase than an anime simply because it is a natively English produced media. And in general, live action is just less likely to make people look at it with a negative bias.
You have the occasional outlier like Madoka or MaiHime but those are far and few in-between.
Many series that have potential also get drowned in self-insert (Neptunia), OC (Precure) or hetero (Girls und Panzer, Strike Witches) garbage that turns potential writers away from even trying.
>>
>>2244406
I think at a certain point femslash had a real "do it yourself" attitude as well that's faded in general. I distinctly remember a few quite niche shows (Murder in Suburbia, for one) that ended up with a lot of fic, relatively, because of a few really dedicated authors that encouraged others. Fans would follow whatever subtext they could get from show to show. The sheer variety in anime, though it's one of the aspects of it I adore, can end up cutting it off from a lot of people. Two shows can be almost identical in content and if the animation style is different it could make or break it. We have more shows being subbed now than ever as well and it feels like practically no fic for them.

I think I'm just thinking out loud now, sorry.
>>
>>2244398
You sound like you are always the same person too. That creep who is always stalking Kuugen and aparently knows everything about her.
>>
>>2244409
A big problem with the yuri side of things is that the readers and the community side of it have a different mindset than the femslash side.
In general, I get the feeling we're a lot more entitled and hostile. Just look at the thread, bring up Kuugen and people start barking like we're standing on their tail.
There is also just very little we do to actually motivate the people that can provide content. I am not talking about commenting or reviewing fics even, I am talking about giving the fic a sense of existence. For most femslash fics, if they are a certain size or the only big one in a certain fandom, you can bet people will be discussing it, and that by itself serves as a motivational factor for the author. If you apply that in the yuri fandom however, all you get is people complaining that an author has white knights, circlejerks, gets way too much attention, and so on. It's basically jealousy without a real cause and all that does is hurt the fandom, or even the entire yuri writing scene.
There is nothing constructive about that at all.

>>2244415
If anything that just lends credibility to what I have to say about her work since I must be, according to you, very intimate with it.
>>
Man, how come there are no good Carmilla fics? Everything written for this fandom is weird.
>>
>>2244420
I don't want to stir controversy but...its Tumblr fault, literally.
They own the webseries, its literally made by them for them.
Also, the setting is pretty much fanfic tier which doesn't helps most authors.
And finally, well outside of Carmilla and Laura the rest of the characters...well they kinda suck.
>>
>>2244419
Nah. It just sounds like you are mentally ill and obsessed with someone you met in a precure chat.
>>
>>2244419
I think the hostility here has nothing to do with yuri and everything to do with the fact this is 4chan
>>
>>2244425
That sure carries credibility coming from someone that is extremely upset over some really petty issues in Overheat.
>>
>>2244426
I'm sure 4chan is part of it.
>>
>>2244419
I feel slightly obliged to admit that I started the Kuugen crit in this thread and I stand by what I see as the issues in her writing.

It is tough to want to write something though when you're expecting to get strips torn out of you every time. Looking at a lot of the Flip Flapper and Synphogear fic, it seems to have come from a community of people who met on 4chan but have their own group of friends. Perhaps /u/'s anonymity is part of its downfall as well. I know I'm sitting on a bunch of unfinished fic in tiny fandoms and I tried reaching out for a beta or someone to bounce ideas off and got literally no responses.
>>
>>2244426
Unfortunately, with the absence of shoujoai.com and the small tumblr presence, 4chan is the yuri community.
>>
>>2244430
Which fandoms?
>>
>>2244430
>but have their own group of friends

Friends? What is that, is it food?
>>
>>2244435
there's dynasty.
>>
>>2244436
Chuu2, Cross Ange, Mashiro/Arika from Mai Otome, Ebisu-san and Hotei-san. Definitely some other stuff I can't think of offhand too.
>>
>>2244442
The only one I'm familiar with is mai-otome and I remember literally nothing from it besides the dark-skinned girl with blue hair was cute, Nao wasn't a total bitch and therefore uninteresting and the whole part where they lived in caves went on way too long. Sorry.
>>
>>2244440
I suppose I meant that theoretically produces content and isn't just full of illiterate wack jobs.
>>
>>2244447
Yeah, Mashiro and Arika are my brain-eating OTP and everything, and either no one remembers them or no one liked them. We all have our crosses to bear I suppose.
>>
>>2244442
I'd be up for betaing some but it depends on how stringent my knowledge has to be. I know Cross Ange from net hearsay and skimming but not thoroughly and it's been a long time since I read Ebisu and Hotei but I do know them.
>>
>>2244442
Cross Ange was a mediocre idea but terrible in execution and the MC girl was absolutely atrocious. I am sure that turned a lot of people off from writing for it.
Chuu2, is it deko/nibu?
I don't remember Mai Otome at all and I don't know Ebisu-san

>>2244452
Generally, the editor needs to be as well informed of the material as the author, preferably more well informed.
>>
>>2244454
I wish someone would "rewrite" Cross Ange. Like, change stuff and try to fix it.
>>
>>2244457
A fix-it fic you mean.
>>
>>2244450
At least for me, I never disliked them but I just thought they were as bland as oatmeal on toast. I kept waiting for characters that I actually wanted to see and do things to show up. But it's nice that you burn a candle for them. Good luck to you.
>>
>>2244441
>on all the other platforms

which ones?
>>
>>2244457
>>2244458
I like time skip stuff that is set a while after the anime / manga. Only if there is a good amount of thought put into what happened during the time skip though.

>>2244460
Google social media platform and take your pick from there.
>>
>>2244452
Honestly, the Cross Ange stuff is practically based on /a/ thread characterisations of them since I dropped it around ep 11 and just stuck around threads to shitpost, but I've been playing with the idea of watching the show properly. I would appreciate someone to help me nail the atmosphere of Ebisu though, since it's a manga close to my heart.

>>2244454
Definitely. There's a fic or two from before it all went completely batshit and I remember having fun with a few people in threads at the time, but it went pretty rabid after a certain point. I half wrote what I did for catharsis. And then because Hilda deserves to have sex with cute DRAGONs to get over Ange.
Yup, all Deko/Nibutani.
>>
>>2244457
>change stuff
Remove Tusk. There, fixed everything.
>>
I don't know. I never watched Cross Ange so I don't know how close to yuri perfection it was. But I've watched other things where an interesting premise was ruined by a poor MC or bad writing. While it's nice to imagine how great it would be if it lived up to its potential, wouldn't it be better to let it go and concentrate your efforts on other things?
>>
>>2244463
I actually messed up and confused Cross Ange with Valkyrie Drive, don't ask me how that happened.
I didn't watch Cross Ange at all because I knew it would be stupid as fuck.
One of my favorite ships from 2016 is Rose x Lailah from Tales of Zestiria with an added Rose x Alisha for some drama.
There is I think one doujin about Rose x Alisha and that is already a fucking miracle.

>>2244470
Why? If you really like a premise or setting and most of the characters and it was just the plot or one/two characters that ruined it, why wouldn't I fix it and work off that if I like it?
>>
>>2244457
>Liked cross ange when it was queen of prison island.
>Then it became a wtf fest.

Would be nice.

>Princess takes command of the squad of girls who fight monsters to protect the magical human kingdom when that rape-y one dies. Slowly gains their respect through good leadership based on her time as a captain of an air lacrosse team making them collectively the longest surviving unit in decades. One by one falling for her no nonsense royal lesbian charm.

>"We'll get through this, all of us. Then one day... one day we go back and force them to see how the world really is. Are you with me!"

>>2244470
First arc had 0 men on the island period. She gets fisted by the commandant, her fist captain uses the squad as her personal fuck harem that the red head continues to use.

Then Ange gets shot down or something and finds a man. And then it turns out that dragons are people out of nowhere.
>>
>>2244463
>atmosphere
Wouldn't that depend largely on what type of fic it was going to be? From what I can recall about the ending, it set it up to be kind of a domestic SoL thing.
>>
>>2244472
Aw c'mon, can't you keep the rapist lesbian alive? I like her. If Momoka survived thanks to a frying pan, we can find an excuse for Zola to survive, right?
>>
>>2244471
Valkyrie Drive is so perfect in all its batshit insane glory that I wouldn't even know where to start writing for it, but wonderfully enough it does actually have a few well written fics on ao3. I might like to write something for the game at some point though, if no one beats me to it.
I don't even know why I watched it in retrospect. I wasn't expecting any yuri from Ange and then somehow they lured me in and then I got what I expected, which was no Ange yuri but bizarrely my feelings were hurt.
I think I bought that and I've been meaning to play it.

>>2244474
Yeah, I basically want to pick it up from the end of the manga I guess and explore the actual beginning of their romantic relationship, but try and keep the same tone and point of view that the manga did without the omniscience fanfiction often falls back on for convenience. I've found there's a lot the manga communicates through the art rather than explicitly through dialogue though and I think it would be a hopefully enjoyable challenge to show rather than tell that through text.
>>
>>2244461
A mere time skip can't fix cross ange, you need to rewrite the entire thing, remove/change some stuff. Like a remake.
>>
>>2244472
I've always imagined an alternate universe where Ange gets shot down on that island with Hilda instead of Tusk.

Which is probably canon, considering the alternate universe flashback thing that happens with Salamander at one point.
>>
>>2244478
Valkyrie Drive MCs were boring me to death. The red-head was especially terrible.
I only know the anime and nothing about the game.

>>2244479
I don't remember why I posted that, I wasn't even talking about cross ange.
>>
>>2244477
Problem with that was that Zola dying was the ultimate shock that made her face the reality of her situation. Broke her out of simple princess mode and to do anything else would make her OOC. Unless that would be the point of the change.

>>2244480
An idea for sure.

>Over a week to cludge both units parts together after Ange dives to save Hilde after her's gets speared/ destroyed mid air instead of the retarded panties in the air intake shit. Over that time gets Hilde's respect. Night before take off they have a roll in the hay in case they die on take off.
>>
>>2244478
>through the art
Definitely an interesting challenge and now the atmosphere comment makes sense. Though it sounds like a good place for good descriptions to explain scenes that art would, which is probably what you meant. Wouldn't that just mean descriptions and atmosphere kind of go hand in hand for the most part then?
>>
File: image.png (161KB, 430x489px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
161KB, 430x489px
>>2244481
Mirei is perfect, I'll fucking fite you anon. Mamori is a shit, but Mirei loves her, so we learn to live with the things we cannot change.
>>
>>2244420
I'm a fan of Akward Conversations (archiveofourown.org/series/163670), but you're right that there aren't many good fics considering the fandom's size.
>>
File: 1449337700523.png (748KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1449337700523.png
748KB, 1280x1440px
>>2244483
we can kill someone else to shock Ange ;_;

>>2244481
>The red-head was especially terrible.

I agree. I disliked her character design AND her personality. I liked the blonde woman though, she should date evil-Miku again
>>
>>2244486
Mirei bored me. Mamori was literal animated human garbage.

>>2244488
Most of the side characters were infinitely more interesting
>>
File: 1450517469337.jpg (27KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1450517469337.jpg
27KB, 640x360px
>>2244489
LadyLady best
>>
>>2244419
My main problem with Kuugen is that her mediocre writing gets shilled multiple times every thread, which no other author comes close to.

Couple that with the fact that she used to self promote relentlessly in these threads herself and now has a Patreon, I'm suspicious.

>>2244415
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Kuugen herself.
>>
>>2244232
>Kuugen used to come here and discuss her fics with people after an update, specifically in the precure thread. People got super upset about that. Now she doesn't come around anymore and we resort to second-hand quoting her twitter posts.

>>2244234
>How did people get upset about that? God the new generation getting on the net is the worst.

a hundred shitposts later and i think i'm starting to get an idea of why people didn't like it.

>>2244310
>>2244376

typing with fat hands covered in burger grease while balancing assault rifle fifteens is hard

>>2243436
>>2243459

you're good people.
>>
>>2244396
Fics are normally created to deliver stuff that the original material didn't deliver, what Ange Vierge didn't deliver that you want a fanfic of it? I mean, it had 2 canon incest sisters relationships and one of them even had sex multiple times.
>>
>>2244790
>what Ange Vierge didn't deliver that you want a fanfic of it?

A good anime.
>>
>>2244828
While it was certainly silly most of the time, it was fun. Maybe if it had more episodes, the ending wouldn't be so rushed and they could have add'd more good scenes.
>>
someone in the previous thread mentioned liking this Madoka story?

https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/threads/puella-magi-imperatrix-mundi-or-wherein-half-of-japan-tries-to-kill-you.25892/

it's off hiatus again if people are interested. purely OCs and the content is really really tame due to forum rules but other than that it's 190k words full of teenage lesbians as far as the eye can see.
>>
File: ange.jpg (137KB, 2359x719px) Image search: [Google]
ange.jpg
137KB, 2359x719px
>>2244486
>>2244478
Mamori should have had her hair down the whole time. That's all the character development she needed.

VD was a fun ride. Shame we wont have anything like it for a while, even when NTR and Citrus are animated.
>>
>>2245160
Citrus is getting animated? No way.
>>
>>2245160
>Citrus anime

Should make it as a mexican soap opera, it would fit better.
>>
>>2245160
Superior Ange, but unfortunately not the one I originally meant.
>>
What are your favorite Western series for fics? Supergirl seems to have a whole lot of F/F, and Wynonna Earp doesn't have many fics, but what it does have are almost all F/F too.
>>
>>2245836
How old do you want to go?
>>
>>2245841
Past decade or so probably? Whatever your favorites are.
>>
So what's the new big fandom that's churning out a lot of fics? Glee is way past it's prime and OUAT is almost dead.
>>
>>2245978
Supergirl. 5600 fics on AO3, and 4400 of them are FF. All for a show that's only about a year old.
>>
>>2246026
Who she shipped with? Hard to get into live action stuff given how average most of the actresses look.

Or maybe it's better to say they look too normal. Doesnt realy inspire the type of feelings that makes me wanna read dramatic angst lesbian fics about them
>>
>>2246028
S1 was largely Kara and Cat or her sister but then s2 seems to be Kara and Lena or whoever the brunette is. Not nearly enough stuff about Kara and her aunt
>>
>>2246028
Right now it's mostly Supergirl/Lena Luthor and Alex/Maggie (which is cannon), but both Lena and Maggie are season 2 characters. During season one, it was almost entirely Supergirl/Cat Grant.
>>
>>2245836
The Devil Wears Prada. One of my fav all time fics, Truth and Measure, came from that fandom.
>>
>>2245836
Started with KiGo, then Buffy/Faith, and then I got into The 100.

The 100 has really started getting stale, though, so I need something new. Too bad there aren't many good F/F rivalries airing right now that have lots of fic content.
>>
>>2246028
Do be warned that Supergirl does put the title character in a het relationship by the end of the first season, granted it breaks up at the very start of the second season but it just goes to shit as by this point in S2 they're trying to set her up with someone who is far more inexplicably a love interest for Kara.
>>
>>2245836
Harry Potter and Frozen are pretty much where most of my favourite fics come from.

I wish I could say Twilight, because Bella/Alice is PURE and the fandom is huge, but I don't think I've ever read a particularly good Twilight fic.
>>
>>2246221
Bruh, I hate Twilight and I love Bellalice.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4453118/1/The-Edge
https://archiveofourown.org/works/992242

The second one, Alice, is a bit weird and very long, but it's pure fan fiction kino.
>>
>>2245836
Definitely Harry Potter, there are just so many great ones. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4916690/1/ is certainly my favorite. It's just so cynical and full of interesting characters and intrigue (because literally every character lies, whether they are aware of it or not).
>>
>>2246221
>>2246408
Never really tried Harry Potter for FF fics, mostly because every other story seems to be about Draco/Harry.

Any other suggestions?
>>
>>2246414
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3973687/1/
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9980492/1/
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7312360/1/
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9108728/1/
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10099028/1/
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7755315/1/ - In-progress
>>
File: tumblr_nmdsdyC6nf1s5usdwo1_1280.jpg (312KB, 1280x1857px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nmdsdyC6nf1s5usdwo1_1280.jpg
312KB, 1280x1857px
>>2246414
Depends on the pairing broski.
>>
>>2246610
fleurmione?
>>
>>2246646
Yeah, not a lot of art for hp pairs.
>>
>>2246425
No Acune Defense Pour Toi? Travesty!
>>
I want to read a story about a girl who lives with an older woman and whores her body out to her to pay for the rent while going to college or something.
>>
>>2246408
one of the fics that's really stuck with me was a HP fic. i think it was hermione/ginny and it was one of them noticing their friendship feelings had shifted to something else and it just captured that slow dawning realization so perfectly.

i read it years ago and can still remember specific bits, but, because i was young and an idiot i never saved it. there's so much shit on ff.net i don't think i'll ever find it again, assuming it didn't get deleted. i am taking that regret to my deathbed.
>>
>>2246879
I wrote Luvia/Rin with a similar premise, but it's not precisely what you're looking for.
>>
File: 1473426524843.jpg (2MB, 3456x2328px) Image search: [Google]
1473426524843.jpg
2MB, 3456x2328px
>>2247049
You did, and it was great.
I find it very strange that there is still almost no Luvia/Rin.
>>
>>2247144
There was never much Fate. Rin and Saber, for example, would've been fantastic, but never really there.
>>
>>2247144
Give me ideas for more and I'll try to push something out. I've also got a 10-15 chapter fic of them that I could start publishing.
>>
>>2247049
any good uber au fics
>>
>>2247154
Miyu catching them in comprising and Rina using the opportunity to turn the tables on Luvia
>>
>>2247346
Uber au?

>>2247347
You mean Miyu catching them while they fuck?
>>
>>2247349
>Uber
It's a Xena thing. Also yes something like that for LuviaxRin. Though I figure it'd be more like heated shouting devolves into wrestling and Miyu walks in when Rina has pinned Luvia
>>
File: 1437640331455.jpg (104KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1437640331455.jpg
104KB, 1024x768px
>>2247352
So basically using Miyu as a trigger for the reversal and then going from there. Dunno, I've avoided mixing the lolis in there despite the obvious /ll/ potential. I've thought about writing a reversal though, so that's something I could work with. I just need a new excuse to get the duo angry and ready for hatesex.
>>
>>2247352
when you say uber, the first thing that comes to my mind is some mobile app service similar to taxi, but cheaper.
>>
>>2247360
Kind of. Using Miyu just as a way to pause the wrestling so Rina can gain the upper hand then Miyu could just back out of the room and close the door. Pretending nothing happened or something. As for how they could get angry, Luvia hearing rumours perhaps that has her confronting and not accepting Rin's excuse.

The rumor could be about Rin doing old drills for money. Emphasis on old and makes Luvia think Rin's going behind her back and sleeping with her mother. Obviously just an example, I'm sure you can find a good excuse to get them fighting
>>
>>2247364
Uber driver AU was the first thing I thought of, too, with all these crazy AUs people have these days.

>>2247365
>Luvia think Rin's going behind her back and sleeping with her mother
This sounds stupid and funny enough that it might just work. Sure, those two don't need much of an excuse to fight or fuck, but I feel like I've burned through all the obvious setups already. It could work with a post-UBW setting but that would mean no Miyu.
>>
>>2247372
No Miyu's fine, as I stated she was just a way to have Rin get the upper hand via a comical pause by the young maid.
>>
>>2246408
Is the twist Holly being a mindwiped Tonks trapped in a child's body? Because she sure doesn't think, talk or deflower furry Hermione like a 12-year-old.
>>
>>2247450
No, but there is indeed a twist about that. Which is one of the things I like, all the seemingly odd or out of place things making sense later.
I wouldn't read this spoiler. She's a lot older than she thinks she is.
I DEFINITELY wouldn't read this spoiler. She's not even remotely who she thinks she is.
>>
>>2246047
This fic is great, and I didn't even like The Devil Wears Prada.
>>
There were some decent female harry x girl stories in FF.net. I think one had... 120k words, and had Harry and Ginny? That one was good, but I haven't heard from it in a while.

Also Silently Watches has the..... Black Princes / Queen / Empress series. That one is good, if you can get through some unsavory topics, and some weird uses of magic.

Looking for more in this mien, though. Anyone have tips? Also, pretty much any yuri fanfiction that has more than 100k words and doesn't either make you want to tear your eyes out in horror, or gag at the sweetness. Just... a good, long read. Most fics feel like they were written by 12 years old with the ridiculous amount of blushing and stammering and cliches and.....

::sighs.::

Maybe I'm just getting too old for this.
>>
>>2247628
>::sighs::
Leave and stay leaf
>>
>>2247550
I love it so much I have it saved on my tablet for rereads. It's like the holy grail of fanfiction, it's well-written, novel length and complete!
>>
Tumblr/Ao3 has this weird tendency to only write/rec fics where the person who should obviously be dominant is bottoming. Very annoying. It's good to find this site.
>>
>>2247833
Well, some of us like the roles reversed. Sorry that everything has to be so assigned to you.
>>
>>2247874
I respect that. I was just expressing frustration.
>>
>>2247833
Can I ask what pairings?
>>
any fandoms where i wont have to know the source material to enjoy?
>>
>>2248090
All of them. That's what wikipedia exists for
>>
>>2248090
Gravity Falls.
>>
>>2248090
Vocaloid is really good for this, but I've enjoyed AUs in general.
>>
>>2248145
Since Vocaloid literally doesn't have any canon. Why did it become a yuri thing anyway?
>>
>>2248151
Have you seen Migu and Luka or heard Magnet?
>>
>>2248154
I've only played Project DIVA F until now and honestly don't care for Vocaloids other than that, but yeah, makes sense.
>>
>>2248164
Fandom-wise Magnet and World's End Dance Hall are like the Negitoro banners with Magnet being the foundation. Which makes sense if you look up a lyric translation.
>>
>>2248167
World's End Dance Hall is actually pretty boss. I'm most just there because I like rhythm games though, I never paid much more attention to the songs. I often find Vocaloids unpleasantly high pitched.
>>
>>2248169
That's fair. I don't know much about WEDH but the lyrics in Magnet are slightly angsty and I wouldn't be that surprised if that had a hand in the vocaloid fic boom.
>>
>>2248171
Having just gone and checked out the lyrics for both songs I think they explain the characterisation of literally every Miku/Luka fic I've ever read
>>
File: 1446922964649.gif (93KB, 2000x2059px) Image search: [Google]
1446922964649.gif
93KB, 2000x2059px
>>2247833
>would love to read more top!Clarke/bottom!Lexa
>only 60 results
>>
>>2248331
For this particular pairing there's enough evidence for either interpretation IMO, so it comes down to personal preference. But Top Clarke/Bottom Lexa is becoming more popular. There are also probably a few Top Clarke fics that aren't tagged as such.
>>
>>2248364
>becoming more popular

Please, I beg you, give me some good examples. I'm starving over here.
>>
its always interesting to see ppl explain their interpretations of who tops and who bottoms in pairings. I've never watched the 100 myself but my friends who do all agree that Clarke is a bottom
>>
>>2248171
I'm pretty sure Magnet singlehandedly made negitoro a thing. I remember the early days of Vocaloid fanfiction, before Magnet came out. It was a wasteland of Len/Rin and Kaito/Miku. A lot of Vocaloid pairings are inspired by songs that use the Vocaloids in duets together, so it makes sense.

After Magnet though, initial Luka/Miku fics got written, then On&on came along and caused a huge boom in the negitoro fic world. Good times.
>>
>>2243489
There is certainly not that many KotoUmi out there. Half of them end up OT3 second years.
>>
>>2244136
I actually disagree, especially with jokes and bantz. Just as with actual authors I'd prefer the work and the "discussion" separate. PMs, Twitter, etc. are sufficient, and don't clog up the story or it's presentation as a singular work. Related, it'd totally just invite disruption, arguing, trolling, and the like. In fact, I don't believe either site needs any kind of discussion aspect, beside maybe a dedicated forum.

There are many places online for series discussion, and those places tend also to have fic discussion. That's fine. Nothing wrong with site being dedicated to a single thing. And a fic author can easily be PM'd to be asked to join a discussion on another site.
>>
>>2244083
Probably because you use a notepad that tries to load it all into memory.
>>
>>2248625
why is it called negitoro?
>>
>>2248735
Signature food items of the 'loids in nippon land.
>>
>>2246221
I was big into HP for years and I still love it, but that was well before I was a /u/boat. What are the big/main /u/ships? What are good fics I can be recommended.
>>
>>2247628
I'd be interested in some girl Harry x another girl material as well. >>2246408 is interesting and pretty well written, but it's gotten too weird for me with the constant magic rape and egg laying.
>>
>>2248749
How do you feel about big age gaps? Outside of Ginny/Mione, Mione/Luna, and Ginny/Luna it tends to involve Mione with older ladies. Like Minvera, Bellatrix, Narcissa though that one is small, and Fleur.
>>
>>2248754
By Mione, you mean Hermione, right? Or am I forgetting a character?

Regardless, I'm fine with age gap - unfortunately I'm not a big fan of hero/villain pairs.

Ginny/Fleur or Hermione/Fleur or Luna/anyone sounds nice. Got any recs?
>>
>>2248625
I had to check: Hear my Song came out before On&On- A full year even. It wasn't as popular as On&On though.
I didn't know y8ay8a actually came back. Looks like she is writing RWBY now. Barf.
>>
>>2248846
Do you consider Narcissa to be a vaillain? I'll try and find some things to rec later today but it's been a while since I read them. Even longer since I read anything concerning Luna or Ginny.
>>
>>2248846
Crazy Little Things.
>>
>>2248924
There's a lot of crossover between the Vocaloid fandom and the RWBY fandom. Weird.
>>
Quick, give me something on Netflix that spawned a lot of fan fiction! I'm bored!
>>
>>2250079
RWBY.
>>
>>2250079
OUaT
>>
>>2250087
Winrar. Watching now.
>>
>>2248846
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4238384/1/Aucune-Defense-Pour-Toi
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6082861/1/Affliction

First's one long but is lauded as really good. I quite liked the second one because of how they portrayed Fleur. One of the things you need to keep in mind with Hp fics is that they'll often start someplace in canon and more likely than not, slowly diverge unless it's super evident.
>>
>>2243381
i am girl
>>
>>2250093
Getting through the pilot now. Why are the actresses so old?
>>
>>2250126
>First's one long but is lauded as really good

I thought it was really fun until the ever increasing idiocy of Fleur just got too much. Too much dumb drama is already annoying, but that one went the extra mile.
>>
>>2250272
That's fair, it did drag on somewhat. Unfortunately a lot of Fleurmione fics are oneshots/small so anything long and written well is worth a look.
>>
>>2250093
I've never watched ouat but I feel I should warn you the Western/live-action thread is adamant about how shit it is.
>>
>>2250295
Already dropped it.

I wish I could find a huge yuri fandom centered around something I actually like. I miss the easy days of Buffy and KiGo.
>>
>>2250300
Yeah suggesting OUaT was a trick. It's pretty terrible. For something like Buffy or KiGo the potential yuri would have to be off to the side while being focused on something else. Like adventure or something.
>>
>find new pairing you like in a fandom you're new to
>ship seems to show up more often than not in multi-pairing fics that seem to be focused on the m/m pairing of the fandom

Fuck.
>>
>>2250300
Maybe try Supergirl? Never watched it myself, but I've been meaning to ever since I saw the crossover with The Flash/Arrow. Looked pretty good.
>>
>>2250126
>>2249115
A little late, but thanks for the recs nee-san
>>
>>2250335
That shit happens so much. I just want some Mika/Annie man.
>>
>>2250300
I get how you feel. I haven't found any pairings that I really liked since Vocaloid and Touhou, probably because it happened during a formative time in my life. Had a brief fling with Frozen fics, but eh. I've pretty much given up on liking any new pairings now. I've resigned myself to being stuck in the past while the world moves on.
>>
>>2250469
I'm not even stuck, but I like a certain type of relationship dynamic that I haven't seen lately. Rivalries! Fights for dominance! This firm top/bottom dynamic that seems to be in vouge lately is annoying.

Maybe it's because I'm a male yuri fan. Maybe actual lesbians, the ones now writing a lot of the content, like non-action.
>>
>>2250608
Sounds more like a genre problem than what you're thinking. There hasn't been a good action/adventure series that lasted long enough to gain a following. It could have a female lead and then the obligatory bad girl rival would show up somewhere down the line that isn't as evil as the big bad but loves to butt heads against the mc.
>>
>>2250613
>action/adventure
>with /u/
I want this so bad.
>>
>>2250613
I want to read a Lina/Naga fic now. I'm slipping further into the past.
>>
>>2250623
I do too. But I also know better than to expect much from the Xena reboot which never should have happened.
>>
>>2250638
Best pairing is best pairing.

I can't think of a single good one with them though.
>>
I've been at the fanfic game for 8 years now and I don't think I'll ever be able to write a good summary.

Are there any tips you nee-san can offer? What's the best way to
>Grab a reader's attention
>Not spoil anything
>Not sound like a retard?
>>
>>2251569
>>2247144
>summary
>Not spoil anything
>grabbing the attention
It's impossible, you need to give up at least a little bit of plot in every summary. It's different if you're writing short stories, but that has more to do with how much you can reveal without selling the punchline.
Still if I had a suggestion for you I suggest you read back covers for books in the genre you write in.
>>
>>2251569
Give the reader an idea what kind of fic you're writing. The summary should give an idea of the tone and themes of the work. I think that a fairly good template for a summary is to just say what occurs in the first third or so of the story. Being informative is the most important consideration, far more so than being original or funny.
>>
>>2251569
>Not sound like a retard?

Don't say things like "read to find out!" or "R&R/read and review", that sounds too desperate imo.
>>
>>2247628
I really liked this Harriet/Ginny fic: http://archiveofourown.org/works/7809337?view_adult=true

Since this is the fanfic thread, the way it's written is interesting. It goes through the whole Potter story that took Rowling a million words in little less than nine thousand by skipping, summarising and pointing out how things would be different in this scenario without elaborating further, stopping only for the important scenes. It's a structure that can only work in fanfiction and maybe historical fiction, as none of it would make sense to a person who doesn't already know the story. Of course most fanfic writers leave out information like character descriptions they assume the reader already knows from the canon, but it's neat to see someone take it this far and succeed.
>>
>>2252085
I thought of doing something similar with Dawnguard. I began writing something for it just to get myself typing, but in the end I felt that the main storyline simply had a lot of shit in it that didn't fit with the structure of the story I had in mind.
>>
>>2247628
>>2252085
Here's a girlHarry/Hermione fic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11618313/1/Lily-Potter-and-the-Witches-of-Salem

I think it's a harem too? I haven't read it yet.
>>
>>2252147
>I haven't read it yet
Might wanna give a bigger disclaimer then. Though the notion of a harem reminds me of I saw for Hermione.
>>
>>2244136
That's what I like most about reading fanfics on forums like Spacebattles, even if there are some problems like the community having some real retards in it I still vastly enjoy how there is guaranteed to be discussion.

Bad thing is that only a small amount of writers that were browsing the forum before bother posting it on there so the selection is limited, especially if you limit yourself even further by going for yuri only.
>>
>>2251660
>think that a fairly good template for a summary is to just say what occurs in the first third or so of the story.
That's pretty good. Guess I'll do that for now.

In the past I've tried a number of things - I always wanted to see where I could go by posting an enticing, but ultimately mysterious quote from the work itself but it never really worked out the way I wanted.
>>
>>2252176
Quotes can work, but they have to be very good to drag the reader in. You also risk alienating your readers if the story doesn't turn out to be what they expected from the quote. It's a safer bet to just state who the characters are and what happens to kick things off in the story. That's what a lot books do with their back cover.
>>
>>2252353
>It's a safer bet to just state who the characters are and what happens to kick things off in the story.
Yeah, I agree. I'll also add that you shouldn't try and squeeze in as much info as you can by using abbreviations and sentence fragments as if the summary is a tweet, or something. That reflects poorly on the author's writing ability.
>>
>>2249115
This fucking fic...
>>
>>2251569
A sample is good.
A nice sentence that showcases the mood is bound to grab a few people by their vaginas.
>>
Okay guys what fics have you read that u absolutely loved and they were never finished and its been years so they'll likely never be finished but if you could you'd definitely pay cold hard cash for an update? The Sorceress' Heart by Andwick tops my list
>>
>>2253756
Same. If I could hunt that author down and give him my firstborn to find out the rest of the story I would.
>>
>>2253756
school loveor how ever you translate "amor de escuela"
it was a KnM fic

thanks anon, now im remembering the plots of a ton of fics and not their titles
>>
What would you recommend? (besides the other ones already mentioned here)

>>2253670
Is it any good?
>>
>>2253756
ShayP's two big ShizNat stories. I think I'd be more interested in an ending for the pirate one than the military academy one...but, I'd honestly be fine with either.
>>
>>2253773
It is probably the best lez HP fic out there, at least for me. Like, there's some good ones, but I have read Crazy Little Things at least five times, and re-reading books and fics is not something I do.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for a good Luna fic, though.
>>
>>2253884
Especially cute weird Luna. I haven't seen that done well (if at all) yet. Then again, I haven't read that much HP fiction.
>>
>>2253756
Fist of the NecoConeco, an Azumanga Daioh fic where Sakaki accidentally becomes a master martial artist and gang leader loved by women and stays entirely in-character.
>>
>>2253773
It's boring and goes on for a lot longer than it needs to for its plot.
>>
>>2253926
The "plot" is for them to get together. What, you want it to be over in 2 pages? That said, if you think it's boring, that's perfectly fine. Opinions, after all.
>>
Are there any fics about a girl building up a lesbian harem? Doesn't matter franchise.
>>
>>2253959
Are you expecting good quality or just fine with the concept?
>>
>>2253960
Fine with the concept, but bonus points if it is a good read
>>
File: Interrupting Something.jpg (69KB, 663x641px) Image search: [Google]
Interrupting Something.jpg
69KB, 663x641px
>>2244472
They added Tusk just to piss us off. Or at least I'd bet money they did. That one episode where he was suppose to have died was the best feeling, until he fucking showed up again. Hilda deserved better :(
>>
>>2253960
Not who you're replying to but as long as it's not Tara Gilesbie or Peter Chimaera writing and reasonably long I'll give it a read.
>>
>>2253959
Here are two:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11411863/1/Harem-Building-101
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11635539/1/Kagami-Hiiragi-s-Love-Escapades

But I have the feeling Urara Meirochou will spawn more later in the season.
>>
File: Wonderful.gif (113KB, 310x233px) Image search: [Google]
Wonderful.gif
113KB, 310x233px
>>2254066
This is a great start.
>>
>>2249115
Link?
>>
>find fanfic i like
>hasnt been updated in years
why does this always happen
>>
>>2257262
It's your punishment for not writing fanfic yourself. At least, that's the way I think of it.
>>
>>2257263
not that anon, but you should be thankful that I don't write and publish any fic.
>>
>>2257263
Indeed.

You gotta write those stories you wanna read. I just recent picked up a series I put on ice for over a year (In fact I posted nothing in that entire year).
You just gotta soldier through the rough patches.
It's worth it to complete something.
Remember to give your authors feedback!
>>
>>2257474
>You gotta write those stories you wanna read
Exactly. If there were a ready a supply of fanfic that I'd like to read, I propably wouldn't be writing myself.
>>
>>2257262
Which one?
>>
Please, recommend some/send your fanfictions.
>>
>>2257529
Indeed, I mean c'mon guys we need way more fanfiction about pirates and naval shit.

What do you like to write?
>>
>>2257548
I don't know if it's just me who has really poor taste but I'm really into Pacific Rim stories right now.

I've recently read:
http://archiveofourown.org/works/7985785

http://archiveofourown.org/works/7647619

That I quite enjoyed.

Do you have any fandoms you particularly like?
>>
>>2258263
Hateships.
>>
Are there any sites dedicated to fanfiction by anon writers? Aside from anons from here who just put stuff in a pastebin, obviously.
>>
>try to look for fanfic on ffnet
>filter out OCs
>OCs still show up thanks to people not using the tag despite having the character slots open to tag it with

I hate this fucking site.
>>
>>2259834
i feel u but also tfw u try to look for fanfic on AO3 and the author tagged a million different things and worse, they fucking rambled in the tags like it's tumblr or some shit.
>>
>>2259839
I'd rather have too many tags than not enough tags.
>>
>>2259834

Site works well enough, blame the stupid authors who can't use their fucking brains.
>>
>>2259839

I read the first ten tags and that's it. If something is rated E, it should be pretty obvious there'll be some murky shit in there, or sex. Authors need to start realising they're spoiling half the story with that Tumblr tag shit.
>>
>>2258263
I've just started writing /u/ stuFF, in the Riverdale Fandom with the Betty/Veronica pairing. I'm always worried that as a male writer, that I'll write something creepy or exploitative.
>>
Um, what's bump limit here? Should I make another thread?
>>
>>2259894
We all write some creepy or stereotypical shit sometimes, I (basically) only write in the LoK fandom and I made Mako the bad guy more than I can count.
As a rule of thumb I try not to always make a dude my bad guy, it's just hard not to.
>>
>>2258263
guns, crime and dysfunctional people/relationships/situations.

>>2259894
>I'm always worried that as a male writer, that I'll write something creepy or exploitative.

find a /u/ focused beta maybe? honestly you being a dude doesn't matter, girls write creepy shit all the time. and sjws get mad at everything.
>>
>>2259921
bump limit is 300 but it takes days for the thread to fall off the page.

new thread when we're on pg 10. thank you for asking.
>>
>>2259922
Actually, I'd probably write aggressive evil domme lesbians, if I was writing a creepy villain.

>>2259923
Thanks. I just don't want to make an obvious mistake.
>>
>>2259923
Sounds pretty rad. Any fic recommendations based on your interests?
>>
>>2259923
>girls write creepy shit all the time
Pretty much this. Some of the craziest shit I've seen has come from women, and more than once when reading lesbian smut on literotica, I've come across stuff that reads like it was written by a teenage boy, only to discover that the author at the very least claims to be a woman in her sixties and has never written anything but lesbian smut.
>>
>>2259839
>and worse, they fucking rambled in the tags like it's tumblr or some shit.
Literally the worst fucking thing

>tags: character a/character b, yuri, i love these girls, so much, they're gay like me, yass queeen
>>
>>2259939
Deep Breaths, Irelia/Riven - LoL
http://archiveofourown.org/works/2558357

There's like one kiss, but this is probably my favorite fanfic. this world does not deserve the league f/f writers.

Chained Rose, Cinder/Ruby - RWBY
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3554129/chapters/7826459

updates are slow but it hasn't been dropped - first person.

Mafia AU - RWBY
https://archiveofourown.org/series/97778

nonbinary shit but i didn't notice the first time i read it.

On Your Only Bones, Root/Shaw - PoI
http://archiveofourown.org/works/2332349/chapters/5139377

read this a while back but shoot is usually good for characters being emotionally constipated.

Republic City Blues, Korrasami - LoK
http://archiveofourown.org/works/3168725/chapters/6880583

shitty girlfriend AU, Mikasa/annie - SnK
https://archiveofourown.org/series/66017

second person

Seam by Seam, Rose/Kanaya - Homosuck
http://archiveofourown.org/works/242564/chapters/373506

same author as shitty girlfriend AU. a lot of other good works.

And, trying to unfold for you, was brittle, Rose/Kanaya - Homosuck
http://archiveofourown.org/works/278301/chapters/441314

doesn't quite fit the criteria, but i always liked it.

wish i could remember more. i've been very stupid and neglected to properly keep track of fics i've liked. there's one more vriska/rose homestuck one where they're serial killers but it's futa i can link it if you're into that. try the blackhill tag too (marvel). hope something on this list works for you
>>
>>2259839
I don't really mind over-tagging that much. Yeah, it can be kind of annoying when they try and add commentary or a full summery of the story in the tags, but a lot of times it gives a decent preview of the work's tone. Things like "Puppy Kara" or " lena doesn't know how to make pancakes" mean the story is probably going to be particularly fluffy and romantic without much angst.
>>
>>2259894
>I'm always worried that as a male writer, that I'll write something creepy or exploitative.
Not a thing to worry about nee-san. I'm a guy who's been writing fanfic for a decade now and yuri for a year and a half, and I'm sure there are more of us out there. Just write what you want to write. Everyone online, male or female, is a bit creepy and/or exploitative
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.