[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Revolutionary Girl Utena

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 14

File: MoviePromo_08.png (615KB, 1250x968px) Image search: [Google]
MoviePromo_08.png
615KB, 1250x968px
Pre-order the Complete Manga Deluxe Box Set:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1421585871/ref=pd_gwm_simh_0?pf_rd_p=1c5f02ae-183e-4906-990b-5a293310a66c&pf_rd_s=blackjack-personal-1&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0B57FT3PQ991S9Y9W9TE&pf_rd_r=0B57FT3PQ991S9Y9W9TE&pf_rd_p=1c5f02ae-183e-4906-990b-5a293310a66c

Nozomi Entertainment plan to release Utena on Blu-Rei:
https://mobile.twitter.com/NozomiEnt/status/815922363971813376

Utena thread for the New Year.
>>
File: UandA_Together_08.png (533KB, 752x876px) Image search: [Google]
UandA_Together_08.png
533KB, 752x876px
>>2235781
Is the manga worth reading? I've heard mixed things about it.
>>
>>2235784
Its writer opposed making Utena and Anthy a couple and wrote Juri as straight. I never had much interest reading past that.
>>
>>2235784
I remember reading manga is completely non-yuri related.
Basically:
- Utena manga - not yuri
- Utena anime - yuri subtext thanks to manga author not wanting full yuri scenes
- Utena movie - full yuri without manga author meddling
If you like straight shoujo you buy the manga, if you want yuri you don't, simple as that.
>>
>>2235784
Saito's manga is Utena!Lite, in that, it read like an average shoujo manga and she made considerable reiterations to the characters:
>Tokiko from the Black Rose Saga is omitted and Mamiya is a student of Mikage
>Juri is heterosexual san the internalize hatred she had in the anime for Shiori
>Kozue is an over protective sister to Mikage with any of the incest either tone down or is non-existent
I mean, the manga can be perceived as the film, as its own stand-alone piece.

If you're a fan of Utena, then buy it and add it to your collection.
If you aren't a fan, then don't spend your monetary on the boxset.

Personally, I'll buy the manga for my collection.
>>
>>2235802
>If you're a fan of Utena, then buy it and add it to your collection.
If I'm a fan of Utena anime or movie and yuri then why I would want to spend money on manga which dismiss the yuri factor from it?

It's like people would say if you are a fan of Mai-Hime or Otome you should also buy respective manga to both even if they are completely non yuri related, which is stupid thing to say on a yuri board.
>>
>>2235805
Take it easy, if you're so hellbent on a minor altercation, then don't buy it. It's only a suggestion.

Saito isn't entirely antagonistic against the homoerotic elements, as she later begin to adapt the manga to compliment the anime. If anything, it's still exist albiet tone done to fit within five volumes and made for readers who felt too alienated from watching the anime with regard to the metaphors, symbolism, and allegory and that is a reason it is more or less a straight forward shoujo adaptation.

Hell, she even admitted once that she began to see Utena and Anthy as like a married couple.
>>
File: Utena_Anthy_Artwork_12.png (1MB, 1414x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Utena_Anthy_Artwork_12.png
1MB, 1414x2000px
>>2235805
>why I would want to spend money on manga which dismiss the yuri factor from it?
I'd like to add a backstory from behind the scenes:

The Utena manga is as the Evangelion manga both were published prior the anime. Utena manga was published in 1996.

And as Sadamoto, Saito had an idea of the heart of the story; Ikuni kept silent on the crux of the story itself and told Saito to follow her own instincts and gave her liberation to do as she desired.

Then, once the anime aired in 1997 and Saito began to realize where the story was driving it's destination toward decided to incoporate what she liked in the anime into the manga while still keeping the originality both series had.

I wouldn't say Saito dismissed the yuri, it's that the manga and anime both were planned vicariously by Be-PAPAS; Ikuni on the anime and Saito on the manga.
>>
>>2235839
So similar to Yuri Kuma Arashi except both Ikuhara and Morishima has the same end goals
>>
>>2235852
Except Morishima did it better.
>>
>>2235854
Saito's and Morishima's manga are the same. Both play the series straight.

And, Morishima focus is on adult orienated stories, not high school tier stories. I'm surprise she didn't yell "To Hell with Ikuhara!" And put focus on Kale, Reia and Yurika.
>>
File: Movie_Manga_01.jpg (397KB, 942x1350px) Image search: [Google]
Movie_Manga_01.jpg
397KB, 942x1350px
>>
Juri have to be one of my favourite female characters in the series, I love the dynamic between her and Shiori.
>>
File: juri-arisugawa-4.png (305KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
juri-arisugawa-4.png
305KB, 500x375px
I goddamn love Shiori and want to marry her. I'd be her miracle.
>>
>>2235781
Huh. I come here looking for Sherwood and I find out my favorite series of all time is being released at a reasonable price. I should come here more often.
>>
Wish Juri and Shiroi appeared more in the series.
>>
>>2239433
Same. While I do love the Juri centric episodes which invariably dealt with her unrequited love for Shiori; I disliked Ruka and his involvement in the catalyst that lead up to their fatalistic fallen out as friends.
>>
>>2240820
Considering both have internalized homophobia and fear of their own sexuality, I think I'd like it if Shiori indirectly placed Utena as her own idealized Juri and Juri resentment for Utena stemmed from there. With an overall better resolve of Juri mending her relationship with Shiori at the end of Azure Paler Than The Sky.
>>
File: 7392617.jpg (130KB, 897x1000px) Image search: [Google]
7392617.jpg
130KB, 897x1000px
>>2240820
Ruka isn't the guy from Shiori and Juri's past. It's weird that he isn't, but he has a different hair color and the back stories don't line up. Shiori went out with the unnamed boy but didn't have such a history with Ruka.
>>
File: Movie_Screen_0439.jpg (93KB, 725x418px) Image search: [Google]
Movie_Screen_0439.jpg
93KB, 725x418px
So glad they had interaction during the film.
>>
File: SoloCharacters_07.png (255KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
SoloCharacters_07.png
255KB, 768x1024px
>>2237743
Arisugawa is like her own Prince in a way at Ohtori. And, I think that dynamic went well with Utena's idea of a Prince.

Arisugawa exuded a Princely charm while still being feminine. And Utena exhibited a Princely charm while showing virility.
>>
File: 5471163.jpg (153KB, 750x700px) Image search: [Google]
5471163.jpg
153KB, 750x700px
So once Juri and Shiori get their issues sorted out and become a lovey dovey couple, who tops during sex, and is it a little more violent than it probably should be?
>>
Truthfully speaking I always thought Shiori was behaving like a bitch, I didn't like her at all. Juri deserves better
>>
File: Couples_18.jpg (401KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Couples_18.jpg
401KB, 768x1024px
>>2241770
I've always envisioned Shiori as top when it came to their relationship.

Sure, Juri is exteriorly stolid, however, I think if it came to Shiori, all of her coolness would melt like snow and she'll reveal a softer side nobody else get to see.

As for the sex, maybe passive-aggressive.
>>
>>2235852
>>2235839
That, and in the Laserdisc Linear Notes,
>Saito: I changed a lot of things concerning Juri from the way they were in the anime based on circumstances at Ciao, the magazine running the manga, so I do feel a bit bad for the people who like the anime.
>Saito: Well, if I'd been told to do it, I think I probably would have, since it would've been intetesting. But for the manga, that's just not really...I don't object to drawing same-sex content per se, but the way the anime is structured, Utena is far too removed from the center of the drama, and I'm just really not sure that's suited for the manga. So to keep as much connection between Utena and Juri, I made it a love triangle story between Utena, Touga, and Juri. In a magazine more directed toward fantatics, or one whose readers were older, however, it might be alright to set the main character to one side like that.
>>
>>2241807
It's so rare nowadays to have female character designs in an anime that look both strong and beautiful. It's one of the things that Utena just got so right.
>>
>>2241783
I perceived Shiori as a person who became benighted. She did try to rectify her relationship with Juri prior Mikage psychological manipulation and I think, as Juri, she tried to handle her own internalize homophobia and love for Juri, she simply didn't comprehend how to deal with it and went about it by trying to punish Juri, Ikuhara confirmed she knew,
>I finally realized the truth
>To think that she loved me back! What a miracle! But...
>"The loser in love is the one who lets their heart be ruled by it."
>Everyone's adopted a provactive attitude toward someone of the opposite sex that they like at least once or twice, to get that person to notice them. So it's alright if I do that.
>This love will crumble if we touch. But when people don't touch, the love eventually dies away.
>That's why I decided to keep your love prisoner. To make sure that you love me forever.
>That game will make our love "eternal." I'm sure of it.
>We were "lovers lost from the beginning."
>>
File: Game_Art_001.png (1MB, 1456x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Game_Art_001.png
1MB, 1456x2000px
Chigusa x Utena from the video game.
>>
>>2243268
I just had flashbacks to the game playthrough. Joke ending was the best ending to be honest. Good 'game', shame they chickened out of the yuri in the endings.
>>
>>2235781
The manga isn't gay.
>>
>>2243268
Chigusa is hot, I wish they had made her a lesbian. I really need yuri of her.
>>
>>2241647
The way Shiori pressed her breasts against Juri's arm and she just melted was delicious.
>>
>>2241918
Shiori is even more fucked up than what I thought.
>>
>>2251114
That's what you think.
>>
>>2251114
Didn't they kiss though?
>>
File: Art14.jpg (99KB, 447x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Art14.jpg
99KB, 447x1000px
>>
>>2251546
Anyone have gif of this?
>>
File: 139.jpg (194KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
139.jpg
194KB, 600x600px
Utena's getting a figma! Too bad Anthy hasn't been announced and they may never get around to her. In the meantime, I could get SHF Haruka and Michiru to hit on her.

http://whl4u.jp/wh25/gallery/#/images/139
>>
>>2269904
seconding
>>
>>2270756
Finally.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.