[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your honest opinion on Girl Friends?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

File: Girlfriends_v01_p001.jpg (247KB, 1128x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Girlfriends_v01_p001.jpg
247KB, 1128x1600px
What is your honest opinion on Girl Friends?
>>
>>2217697
I enjoy it. It's not the most unique manga ever, but a classic nonetheless.
>>
>>2217697
It's very, very overrated, but an okay story with nice art.
>>
>>2217697
As>>2217699, It's a classic. Nothing special but basically does everything a yuri manga defines and pretty well at that.
Only thing I that i might not like about it that much is the fact, that it get's kinda dragged out a lot, though not nearly as much as Sasameki Koto for instance so it's still acceptable.
>>
Pretty okay. Cute art. Nice and long.
>>
>>2217697
May not be the best, but it is the one that kind of launched my current interest in Yuri so it's going to always be one of my favorites.
>>
File: Girlfriends_v05_p030.jpg (478KB, 1124x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Girlfriends_v05_p030.jpg
478KB, 1124x1600px
I want an Akko ;_;
>>
>>2217697 (OP)
This is a very good manga. For me not overrated. Story is okay but characters are well written and the story explains well what want to tell you. So much enjoyable.
>>
>>2217754
Akko is really cute yeah.
>>
Breddy cute i must say
>>
>>2217697
Holy hell this is the first ever yuri manga I've ever read and it totally changed my view on LGBT people

10/10 mustread
>>
>>2217697
Horrible pacing
boring if you don't care about make-up and painting your nails (which is explained there into near-scientific detail)
and after reading the first two volumes nothing yuriish happens.

Overrated, Hanjuku Joshi did it better.
>>
>>2217697
Hana and Hina was shaping up to be better, but it got cancelled.
>>
>>2217851
>and after reading the first two volumes nothing yuriish happens.

Say what?
>>
>>2217851
Hanjuku Joshi is great but they started going out too fast, there wasn't too much room for development
>>
>>2217868
Seriously? Whose shit opinions canceled that?
>>
>>2217912
There are so many other mangas focusing on that.
I for once was glad it was about the relationship for once.
>>
Solid. Good enough to read once. Doesn't do anything hugely annoying, which is already better than loads of other manga out there, but doesn't do anything particularly special either, which is somewhat unfortunate, but, what the heck ... something needs to be the average.
>>
>>2217932
The people who make the magazine it was printed in? I have no idea. Pity though. Honestly, Gakuen Polizi/School Police was starting to hit its stride when it got cancelled as well at 2 volumes. Milk doesn't seem to be having the best luck with serializations recently.
>>
>>2217697
A classic, and an easy way to get into yuri in general.

It hits all the right beats solidly. Nothing it does is all that special, but it's never bad.

The drama is dramatic, the cute and romantic times are cute and romantic, and the characters are well written.

7.5/10 required yuri reading
>>
>>2217851
>and after reading the first two volumes nothing yuriish happens.

Build the relationship
>>
>>2217868
Sad. And saddly the last episode reminded me the fireworks no deeto from hibikek
>>
>>2217697
KInda bland, but it's a classic.
>>
Upon re-reading it I realized Mari kinda sucks and doesn't deserve the goddess Akko.
>>
>>2218071
I like Mari just fine, but Akko really is a great character. I really like the way Morinaga manages to deepen her in a single chapter (the first one that's from her POV) without resorting to (too much) angst or upending her character. She's still an extroverted, friendly and fairly dim teenager, just one with an inner life.
>>
>>2217697
It was nice, but I think overrated too.
>>
I love this manga. It's not something "great" but it's not offensively bad either. Akko is really great, Mari has her moments too. Sugi a best.
>>
>>2218087
All the side characters were charming as heck to be honest
>>
>>2218089
Pretty much, yeah. Also following Girl Friends while it was on serialization was suffering.
>>
>>2218095
It truly was.
>>
File: heartstone.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
heartstone.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
I'll always have a soft spot for it.
>>
File: Girlfriends_v02_p181.jpg (417KB, 1124x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Girlfriends_v02_p181.jpg
417KB, 1124x1600px
>>
>>2218095
Also those Tamamin/Sugi chapters that in retrospect were not that many at all
>>
It was one of the first yuri manga i read out there and its definitely one of my all time favorites. I still feel like Hana and Hina After School is the better version, but this one is a classic.
>>
File: GF.jpg (464KB, 1296x972px) Image search: [Google]
GF.jpg
464KB, 1296x972px
It's called the "yuri bible" for a reason, it got a whole bunch of neechans into the genre but it's not the absolute most riveting thing out there.

Very realistic and the pace is fantastic, something like it could very well happen in the real world. And the fact that stuff actually HAPPENS in GFs at all is great, a lot of mangakas just draw shit out until people lose interest.

A bit too much fashion/make-up stuff for a straight male though I suppose. But that's always a hazard of the genre, even the seinen tagged series.

It wasn't the first or the best yuri series I've read, but I still regularly reread it a couple times a year. Soft spot or something. Kinda like Poor Poor Lips and Hana to Hoshi. It's also the only manga besides Azumanga Daioh that I own as a physical copy. Tfw poorfag and manga generally costs around 15-20€ a volume over here.
>>
>>2217837
kek
>>
It's been too long since I read it, but it used to be my favorite yuri manga back in the day.

It strikes a nice balance between an idealized relationship and one that feels very genuine and real, as far as the emotions behind it goes.
>>
>>2218467
>A bit too much fashion/make-up stuff for a straight male though I suppose.
This was actually something I liked about it. I'm not remotely interested in fashion or make-up, but the focus on things like that made me feel more like it was 'by girls for girls' (despite running in High). Which was heartwarming.
>>
>>2217699
>>2217712
>>2217734
>>2217816
>>2217754
>>2218147
>>2218467
This. The end feels a bit rushed though.
>>
>>2217868
>>2217936
where did you read this ?
>>
>>2219246
It's come up in the general thread a few times, search the archives
>>
How do we get someone in the anime industry into this series so they can make an anime adaptation of this as a pet project?
>>
>>2219258
Nothing found in what is available (current and < 7 days archived thread)
>>
File: hanahina.png (71KB, 1182x625px) Image search: [Google]
hanahina.png
71KB, 1182x625px
>>2219333
d/a, but she talked about it on her twitter, pictured are two of the relevant posts. Also, from the replies:
>書籍版1巻が発売2カ月までに予定数売れなくて

Basically cancellation was decided when she didn't sell enough of the first volume by the two-month mark. So it was already doomed by March or so, but they gave her a long while to wrap it up -- I believe the final chapter was in last month's issue of Action.
>>
>>2219333
loveisover archives, dopey.
>>
File: GirlYatsura.png (358KB, 792x810px) Image search: [Google]
GirlYatsura.png
358KB, 792x810px
>>2218604
Yeah that's a fair point, I never really minded the girly shit since it was completely on-point with the characters. Would've been much more upset at blatant pantyshots or other shitty pandering.

>>2219242
I thought the ending was pretty well fleshed out all in all. I'm happy it ended before it started dragging out.

I mean, of course I would've loved to find out everything that happened to Mari and Akko before and after graduation, but that's the sad fact of niche serializations, there's very rarely enough space/demand/sell for incessant amounts of fluff in a serious sort of series like this.

Plus Miruku-neechan seems to be unlucky as fuck with her work in general as this post >>2219447
shows, she needs to find a publisher that understands the value of the market outside of Japan too. (Never gonna happen ;_;)
>>
>>2219447
>>2219472
Thank you, even if I'd have been happier waiting for an eternity the next chapter
>>
Didn't like it.
>>
>>2218467
>15-20€
Where do you live? It's only 7-8€ for normal volumes here (germany)
>>
>>2219289
It's not really special enough to dig up for an adaptation. Might as well hope for a great original yuri anime. One of these days...
>>
My Yuri Bible!
>>
Honest opinion? It was alright but I blame it for the over-saturation of "introvert/extrovert who have no reason to be friends" pairings
>>
>>2217697
Really good first time through. It grates on me more and more with each reread how little we got of them past the confession stage, even if there are some very nice angsty scenes because of it. Morinaga's other blonde/short black hair couple focused on that part satisfyingly, but they were much less fleshed out.

I still like all the girly scenes about makeup and clothes. It's one of those things that clues you in to what the mangaka really likes.
>>
>>2217697
Honestly this manga had me pulling my hair out from all the angst and drama the main couple with communicating with each other, especially since they liked each other.

Also got mad at Mari when she lied about sleeping with a dude. Wasn't a fan of Girlfriends at all. It was all drama with only a few moments of the two actually being a happy couple in the last chapters.
>>
File: Haggu.png (178KB, 579x574px) Image search: [Google]
Haggu.png
178KB, 579x574px
>>2220817
Finland. The local selection is nigh-nonexistent so the only way to get manga is importing, which always racks up the costs. There's a few specialty stores in big cities with an extended selection with retarded prices because of the importing costs.
>>
>>2221794
Order off bookdepository. Free shipping to most countries.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 318x158px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 318x158px
>>2221920
>10-20€ a volume sans shipping
How is this any different from what I said? I'm a poorfag, I don't have that kinda money no matter how hard I want to support the authors. MFW.
>>
File: girlfriends wedding.jpg (2MB, 1600x1486px) Image search: [Google]
girlfriends wedding.jpg
2MB, 1600x1486px
Following this series live back then was pretty damn painful when it got the parts where Morinaga just stretches out the drama for as long as she can, but it's not that bad if you marathon it.
I would have greatly enjoyed an extended epilogue to see a bit of their life once it's stable, but it just ends once the main conflict is resolved. Which is how most series go, so can't fault this one specifically for that, but it's still a bit of a shame.
Overall it's I'd say it's pretty great, the good far outweighs the bad for sure.
>>
One of the first yuris manga that was worth reading. 10/10

There are better ones, of course, but this is a classic.

Also, it's Morinaga's only job that really "decent", others can not get to that level. I do not know why, but to me the traits have been falling, getting to a level between bad and mean. I wanted her to come back to the way before or at least she did not give such strong expressions to the characters.
>>
I'm still salty that TamaminxSugi never went anywhere.

Overall one of my favourite manga of all times.
>>
>>2223040
It went anywhere because it was never meant to. Their relationship was there only to show how Mari and Akko's one was different.
>>
>>2222904
>others can not get to that level.
Secret recipe was as good I thought.
Hana and Hina was shaping up really nicely too.
>>
>>2217707
This, tibblyaitch.
>>
>>2222904
Secret of the Princess was pretty good, though.
Also this:
>Hana and Hina was shaping up really nicely too.
>>
>>2223572
Hana and Hina is my Prism.
>>
>>2221054
That may be the case in other works, but Akko's initial desire to be friends with Mari was pretty well-explained. She was shy before, before her interest in fashion helped her make some friends. She wanted to give that to Mari, too. That, and she was also latently gay for her.

For me, Girl Friends is top 5 yuri. Maybe some of it is nostalgia, but it never stops giving me the feels, and it's as cute as anything. I absolutely adore both Mari & Akko.
>>
Loved this manga, want to own it IRL just haven't had the balls to buy it. And as someone who felt this manga had gone unnoticed like so many others to the test of time, this thread makes me shed a single tear.
Also the fan art is awesome, wish I was skilled enough to find more.
>>
>>2217697
It was okay but it dragged on far too long.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.