[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/u/ meets /lit/

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 361
Thread images: 23

File: ulit.jpg (123KB, 800x644px) Image search: [Google]
ulit.jpg
123KB, 800x644px
Discuss, request, and recommend /u/ related /lit/ works!

Previous Thread:>>2157226
Zippyshare links from previous thread:
http://pastebin.com/ZH3dq75t

Recommendations list (to be modified/improved) :
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18e71t0H7v6olXdY9Ig0giUjnhSt1zltLcLSpj3SxRaI/edit?pref=2&pli=1

------
>Downloads:

Calibre F/F Library magnet link (hundreds of books with release dates up till 2013):
http://mgnet.me/.FF_lib

Stuff posted in the /u/ meets /lit/ threads during first half of 2016:
http://www33.zippyshare.com/v/ld22LkmC/file.html
( File list: http://pastebin.com/FDwha6mb )

------
>How to find books:

Mobilism Search for Lesbian, FF, LGBT, and GLBT keywords:
http://forum.mobilism.org/search.php?keywords=Lesbian+FF+LGBT+GLBT&terms=any&author=&fid%5B%5D=376&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=topics&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=-1&t=0

Custom Google Search (updated):
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=001639227550064093264:dznewka3cca

Downloading from #bookz on IRC:
http://pastebin.com/pwAudzs6

Bookzz:
http://bookzz.org/

Library Genesis:
http://libgen.io/
>>
As >>2203796 nee-san said, Ylva is giving out a free book every Sunday between now and Christmas, plus one on Christmas Eve.
So keep an eye on that.
>>
Gonna cut right to the chase: Any good smutty, erotica novels released lately?
>>
File: thumbnail_cover B.jpg (184KB, 989x1280px) Image search: [Google]
thumbnail_cover B.jpg
184KB, 989x1280px
>>2204601
I actually wrote something lately that sorta fits the bill. Heranes: Trials of A Demigoddess, is a smut novel/parody of the trials of Hercules. Heranes is a demigoddess daughter of Hera and out to earn her right as a goddess of Olympus. She has to complete 12 trials under a perverted king's whims, which leaves her catfighting titans, wrestling luchadora amazons, seducing her way past the keepers of Hera's garden, battling armies, and having topless duels with queens. Big ol' mix of sexy wrestling, lesbian sex, action, and some humor.

listed here
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D154606011&field-keywords=heranes

and preview of pt 1 here
http://luffy316.blogspot.com/2016/10/tales-of-heranes-lady-hercules.html
>>
>>2194940
Just finished reading fingersmith.
Holy fucking shit that wasn't dark- that was downright brutal. At least the ending makes up for it.
>>
Just finished reading Jericho by Ann McMan. Bit of a slow burn and drags on a little in the middle, but it's totally worth it by the end I think. You get to see a lot more of the characters and their dynamics than you do in a lot of other books since it's considerably longer than most. Pretty fuzzy read overall. Would recommend for others who like sappy romances without any super retarded drama.
>>
File: the shewstone.jpg (779KB, 750x1158px) Image search: [Google]
the shewstone.jpg
779KB, 750x1158px
Spoiler time.

So basically, the heroes are on a quest , which takes them to The Land Where Everyone Is A Dick. They're completely convinced of their own racial superiority, they have slaves who they treat like livestock, all of the ruling class are total dicks without exception, the usual.

They're historically on pretty bad terms with their neighbors (basically, they were once the same people until they got told they were dicks and got kicked out), but the new Queen or Empress or whatever she was called wants to heat things up into open war. The main character's disguise helps her find work at the royal temple, where she finds out that one of the queen's advisors has a plan for to curry favor with her; in a special ceremony, they're going to summon a demon and sacrifice the essence of a creature of pure good and innocence to it in order to gain its service conquering their ancient enemies.

So begins the grand heist! It's not enough to simply steal the sacrificial object, as the alarm would be raised too quickly. Instead, they cunningly fashion a fake and replace it just before the ceremony, to predictably explosive results; the demon in incensed and destroys the queen and her advisors with hellfire, putting an end to her dreams of conquest and allowing the protagonists to escape in the ensuing chaos.

Yeah, Ust Natha really was one of BGII's best quest lines.
>>
>>2205006
For a moment there I read of the Land Where Everyone Has A Dick and was surprised that Fletcher got into futas ... says more about what I read lately than I'm comfortable with, I suppose.

Also read two somethings; first Ashakaan. Relatively short, fast-paced scifi-fantasy novel that's about some Marine/Warrior getting stranded on a planet without technology.
It starts pretty grim, and the end is also not exactly super-happy (although some reviews give the wrong impressions; it's definitely not a bad end), but that just makes for a nice, gritty read. This whole "back to nature" thing was maybe a bit too idealized, and with everything so rushed it's not as good a novel as it could be, but it's good enough for a solid read for an evening.

And then the Pactkeeper. Basically UF, with a gay protagonist but little in terms of romance, although it is a major motivation behind the plot. The idea is basically that certain humans enter pacts with dragons, and then can manifest their powers / certain characters of them.
Of course, there's some bad guys around who do evil thing because ... frankly, that's were the plot falls apart a bit. I never got the evil guys motivation, unless he just wanted to commit suicide in the most grandiose fashion possible. And he does some typical evil-guy stupid things, like randomly announcing his plans where everyone can here him...mwhahaha. Well, minus the laughter.
The last part of the novel was a bit of a mess, too, and I sometimes barely was able to figure out what the heck was going on. Still, could've been worse. A bit, anyway.
>>
>>2204371
I'm planning on organising an update for the magnet - got a NAS to do 24/7-seeding, so that won't be an issue.
However, I'd like to add more books than what I already got.

List of files at the moment
http://pastebin.com/tjsjsQMq

If anyone feels like sharing their own collection, it'd be great (actually, exactly what I need.)
>>
>>2205278
Hey nee-sama, I'm doing the same.
How are you doing yours and how far have you gotten? Maybe we can collaborate in some way?

I've got 3865 books so far. Currently going through books by author to tag them, making sure books in a series are marked as such, and downloading any missing books from that author.
Old torrent has lots of bad conversions too, so I've been redownloading better copies when I can find them.

Here's all Robin Alexander's books to show how I've tagged and named things:
http://www25.zippyshare.com/v/Nq994AIf/file.html

(5 star ratings are books with acceptable formatting, 4 stars are in need of better copies)
>>
Hey /u/ I feel like reading about vampire/werewolf hunter falling for their prey (vampire/werewolf or whatever).
Any rec?
>>
>>2205432
If you want something very introspective, at times pretty weird, and with a tendency towards mediocre arguments when debating issue you could try Waking Up Vampire by Mel Elvers. Not the greatest thing ever, but bonus points for not being too trope-infested.
>>
>>2205458

Evers, not Elvers :)
>>
>>2205624
Damn, right.

I'll use this opportunity to rant on Natasja Hellenthal's SkyWhisperers. The idea of the novel is that there's a bunch of immortal mages ("lower gods") keeping nature running, thanks to the "upper gods". Then the bad guy comes along, captures the upper gods (how that worked is anyone's guess) and thanks to this the world is quickly dying ...
... so what do the "lower gods" plan to do about it?
Well, despite there being only 1 (non-special) bad guy, and thousands of supposedly good guys, for the fist twenty or so years they do absolutely nothing while everyone else is dying. "Luckily", the bad guy at some point raped some woman (he killed her later), so he has a daughter. So once she's grown up they come up with the genius plan to send his daughter to him ... so she'll appeal to his better nature, and hopefully stop being a jealous, power-hungry, treacherous, genocidal maniac! Yeah, that's totally gonna work...
Sigh.
Predictably, it doesn't work, and the bad guy tries to kill the daughter and her companions. Luckily, this (and the stupidity of the plan) pisses the daughter of so much that she actually defeats him. Now you'd assume they'd wised up - unfortunately they don't, and try to heal the guy.
Grrrr.
This promptly causes him to betray them again, which kills one of the companions, and costs the two protagonists their immortality. But obviously all agree that it was the right thing to do; who cares about eternal life and having your allies killed due to being retarded ...
... very frustrating read. No idea what's with the heap of praise it gets in some reviews; I mean, it's otherwise OK, but even if they weren't so ... frustrating ... it'd still wouldn't be that outstanding.
>>
>>2205320
You certainly got me beat, so a joint effort effort would be amazing.

I simply took all epubs from the magnet, checked duplicates with double killer, and then indexed them with calibre where I plan to go through and check the metadata (mostly automatically) for covers and so on.

I was thinking of going through private trackers to add in bulk, had you not showed up.

Opinions?
>>
>>2205850
Some of the ebooks should be removed.
Gael Baudino's stuff for example ... I suppose one could argue that there's a minuscule amount of /u/, but I think the general opinion here is that something is /u/ if the main character is gay, not some minor-character.
John Varley is another questionable case; I'd probably leave it, but it's frankly very little /u/.
Selina Rosen isn't /u/ at all, no idea how those got into the collection.

I'm fairly sure I came across some others that aren't /u/, but, well ... don't remember them right now.
>>
>>2205855
Yeah, this is partly why each book needs to be checked.
The original torrent added books in bulk. Sometimes by downloading all books from an author with at least one /u/ work. Only those tagged with !Yes had been verified though, which is why some irrelevant books remained.
Zane as an example only had one lesbian book at the time, but all her books were included.

>>2205850
We'll have to come up with some easy way to do this then.

Right now I'm staying organised with goodreads lists. Here's the user: http://pastebin.com/LzAjCSwa
Verified are the ones I've tagged and all that. "tobuy" are the missing books from authors whose list of published books I've skimmed. And so on.

I'm also keeping a list of the authors I've gone through and at what date. All relevant books from those authors have either been downloaded or added to the tobuy list.

So I guess it depends on how autistic you wanna go. Maybe I could start going through authors without tagging them at the same time, and just add missing books to that tobuy list. And then you try to find them? And I/we do the tagging and metadata later.

Or if you wanna try my process as I described it in this post and my previous, we could just split the work. Go though different authors.

Dunno. Got any ideas?
>>
>>2205911
That's an awful lot of more work already put in than I ever imagined, whoa.
I don't have the time nor interest in going through the collection literally book by book, so I'm dropping out.

I wish you all the best and know that I'm in awe of your efforts.
>>
>>2205946
Hehe alright. I will need help seeding later though.
And which private trackers do you have access to? If you do bulk downloads, I could look through it for missing books.
Some are really hard to find or simply not available at public sources.
>>
>>2205458
Thanks for the rec, I'll try this one.
>>
>>2205834

That's the stupidest plot I've ever heard of. All common sense goes out the window in that book, and apparently the reviewers have little too.
>>
Does anyone have Demon's Game by B.L. Newport, and Sappho International II (Songs of Silk #2) by Mvxx.Amillivn please
>>
>>2205911

If I wasn't about to find my ass living on the streets, I'd definitely help out. Just bad timing for me. I'll go through the to buy and see what I have from it though.
>>
>>2206160
It is. I mean, I cut it down to the bare bones and I'm sure some reviewers would argue that there's more to it, but I don't think it helps the novel any - it's just a mess at its core. Had some potential, but really should have come up with something that made more sense ...

And reviews are worth a rant for themselves, anyway. "The Queen's Garden Mage" has 4.2 stars (some 15 5 stars) and is written in sentences like this one:
"She opened doors for women, doors that once took centuries to even find, flew open as the land flourished under her reign and so it was that the dragon made peace with the land of and a law was passed that every ruler there after must have a strong bond not just with their ruler but the entire race, our strength shared through generations to come."
I don't consider myself a "literature snob" when it comes to self-published novels and their usual problems with editing, proofreading, formating and so on, but ... there's got to be some limits. Made me wonder whether I read the wrong book or whether I didn't "get" something with the "style" or something ...
>>
>>2206482

I get people want to self publish quickly, but Amazon and Smashwords really need some sort of crap filter. I'd be surprised if that wasn't a former fanfic.

Speaking of which . . . ugh, more SQ conversions are coming. There's a new list on Tumblr you can find. I've got nothing against them, but it just feels like they can't be bothered to put in the hard yards and take the time to properly fix something that's definitely got its issues when it comes to taking a fanfic that's not even five years old and publishing it.

The lack of oversight with self-pubs really needs to be addressed but the question is how.
>>
>>2205951
Torrentleech, AR and a few others - but they had nothing worth getting.
I'll dig around for other trackers for invites so that I can help out looking for stuff at least, good luck!
>>
Anyone have C.k. Martin - Blood Inheritance?
>>
This is half off topic, but does anyone know of some good female lead sci-fi stories without any romance?
>>
>>2206535
Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon
First part of the series and the only part I've read so far, female lead, no actual romance in this one, though something probably develops later on in the series and is likely het oriented.

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
First part of the series and again the only part I've read. Female lead, and at least for the first part it's hard to say whether a certain relationship is romantic because the "female" lead is an AI and the reader is not entirely sure what she is or isn't capable of. Based on a brief discussion of the series in the previous thread there is probably some sort of romance involved in the latter parts, but apparently it's hard to say whether it's het or not.

I'm not an avid reader of sci-fi so my final recommendation is straight up fantasy - The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. It's by far my favorite series in part because of three things; strong female lead, no romance, fantasy. The latter part might not be to your tastes, but if you're feeling adventurous I'd strongly recommend it. Also, this book (technically a trilogy) is part of a bigger universe set in the same world, but is the only part that features Paksenarrion as the MC.
>>
>>2206595
>I'm not an avid reader of sci-fi so my final recommendation is straight up fantasy

Technically I'd be happy with ALL the recommendations of non-romance main genres (I'm looking for stuff to read during work breaks and maybe bored afternoons), but I wanted to keep it somewhat subdued. It not being /u/ and all.

Thank you very much for your post.
>>
>>2206535
>>2206595
Hayden War Cycle (too busy with war). Duchy of Terra (to busy being a commanding officer). Hechtl's Convoy (the same). The early Honor books (traumatic past experience). Jill Andersen (asexual). Major Ariane Kedros (don't remember that one too well). Steerswoman (except for a small part of book 3). In The Time Of The Sixth Sun (the heroine is married, or at least so she says - her husband doesn't ever show up). Ninefox Gambit (lesbian, but too busy). Two Democracies (smells of het for the sequel). Crystal Eyes (bi, but too busy shooting people). Tabitha (small het infatuation at one point). Red Angel (YA-ish). In Fury Born (too busy with vengeance). Malbane Chronicles (too busy with action). Siobhan Dunmoore except for the 4th ...

... well, that's a bunch of various quality and subgenres. Hopefully I remember those right.

>>2206595
Unless I'm mixing that up the Trader series goes straight to het business with the next one.

No romance for the protagonist in Ancillary.
>>
Does anyone have jericho by ann mcman
A few of her books (not J) come up on mobilism but im getting some blocked pages too
Thanks
>>
>>2206768

libgen.io/foreignfiction/?s=ann+mcman&f_lang=All&f_columns=0&f_ext=All

It's in .mobi format.
>>
Anyone else burn through entire books in one sitting? I think I've read 4 this week.
>>
>>2206892
Lately, yeah, especially when I poke around KU novels - I tend to read those so superficially I think sometimes I forget what they were about the moment I'm done with them. And yet still don't feel as if I've missed anything.

Probably time to look for something with "proper quality" for a change. Whatever that might be.
>>
Does anyone know of a romance between women in their 20s?

Also can anyone recomend me something like the Agape series? I finished them last week and they were great.
>>
>>2206901
I read a lot of these books pretty quickly. I'm sure I'm developing bad reading habits, but it's too exciting for me to not skim some stuff. Consequently, I have a hard time really remembering anything overly specific after I've read, but the ride is fun, so whatever.
>>
The Thousand Names has a lesbian character, though that is definitely not the focus of the book. I just started the second book in the series, anyone know if it gets more or less /u/?
>>
>>2207027
The Thousand Names was great. I'm not far into the second book, but I'm pretty sure Winter is gonna end up with Jane by the end of it. Can't confirm that though.
>>
>>2207027
>>2207041
Jane does actually come into the picture, but there's more to it than that in the third and fourth books.
>>
>>2206785
Its blocked
Thanks for trying though
>>
>>2204373

Oh I didn't know this, which books they gave away up to now?
>>
Anyone can upload this book on zippyshare, please? The host are blocked where I am and the uploader don't want to up it on another files host. Thanks in advance

http://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1292&t=1844798&hilit=Lesbian+FF+LGBT+GLBT
>>
>>2207141
https://mega.nz/#!4odFhL4B!JxUFT5u9k34gGb5k-gPbJGePChnf9987qeMKJzyNcNo
>>
Just finished the very recent Marian and it was pretty good. It's about a knights daughter named Marian who falls for an aspiring lady knight named Robin Hood.
Unfortunately it's really short and ends where the really cool stuff is going to begin.
>>
>>2206989
Which Agape series are you referring to? The vampire one? Read a summary but seemed to be focused on a het relo.
>>
File: handkiss.jpg (139KB, 500x635px) Image search: [Google]
handkiss.jpg
139KB, 500x635px
Does anyone have any digital copies of Elora Bishop's books? I'm looking for Cage the Darlings in particular, it seems impossible to find outside of buying a used hard copy... I'd really appreciate your help, thank you in advance nee-sans
>>
Just finished Hanne Wilhelmsen, after the 7th book was finally translated now (the idiots started with the 8th, then went back to the 1st ...).

It reminds me a lot of the Micky Knight series, although they are fundamentally different a lot of ways. European vs American. Police procedure vs PI mystery. 'Relatively realistic' vs 'typical fiction'. Few 'personal' scenes vs loads of personal scenes. Very different novels vs lots of similar novels. Hanne is very hard to like and doesn't seem to want it any other way, while Micky at least tries ...

It's mainly the way both struggle with their lives that's just so similar. Hanne probably gets the better start, but then gets hit harder during the novels.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed reading it, although some novels much more than others. Ironically, I mainly wanted to read it for the 8th when she's in a wheel chair - I wanted to see how the author lets her investigate things like that but that turned out to be maybe the weakest one (even goes as far as changing 3rd person to 1st person to that one, which I don't think works well for Hanne's character).
>>
>>2207205
The one with a female father and a female muggler.

It's a trilogy, Hesed, Agape and Emet. If the religious girl theme interests you it's probably as good as it gets, and it's pretty good.
>>
>>2207178

thank you!
>>
>>2207045
>>2207041
I'm only about half way through the second book but I'm betting she's Concordat and holds a grudge against Winter. Just a guess though, seems like things are going too well between them and that she forgave Winter too quickly for the whole letting her get raped thing.
>>
>>2207758
Just wait until you get to the third book
>>
>>2206535
Ammonite has very little romance. It's an odd one but well written.

Six Directions of Space (Alastair Reynolds) has a lesbian protag but no romance.
>>
How can a writer think like this? And of course its a lesfic writer..

"Dear former english teachers, i get it. But do you also get writing is an art form and doesn't always follow ancient grammar rules?"
>>
File: 1474233280958.png (488KB, 1285x1652px) Image search: [Google]
1474233280958.png
488KB, 1285x1652px
>>2204762
also have a slightly more legit novel in the works for an orphaned girl being taken in by a tribe of primitive amazons. It's a little more on the sweet side, with a sort of "family's what you make it" and "find love anywhere" kind of thing, when it's not about young ladies training via mud wrestling and intimate sex

http://pastebin.com/c3D4ZdjN
>>
>>2207761
I honestly don't know if I like the series or not. I went into it not knowing it had a /u/ character and so I was kinda psyched, but the rest of it is only so-so. I did really like it in the first book though when they were just slaughtering "goatfuckers" like it was nothing.
>>
>>2208552
In the third and fourth books it has more war stuff.

Honestly. 2 was the weakest book. Three and Four are better.
>>
>>2208552
Also if you really want spoilers just read at your own discretion. If you don't want to be spoiled then don't read.

By the way I've been reading your posts though, you wanted some spoilers so here.

At the end of book 2 Jane and Winter do end up together. Jane isn't secretly Concordat either. Jane and Winter get Janus to allow the girls into their own military unit as they were in need of soldiers. Marcus is still in the dark about Winter's identity and everyone else knows

Spoiler about what happens to Jane in book three
Jane ends up deeply mistrusting the royals and pretty much any male soldier because one asshole who gets immediately dismissed groped one of the girls during a celebration because he thinks it's unnatural that girls are soldiers and blah blah. Winter tries to keep everything together and tells Jane to cut the shit out. Jane believes Janus has Winter under some spell and tells Winter it's her or Janus. Naturally Winter isn't dumb so she chooses to stay and resolve her duty with the military. Jane takes some of her soldiers from the docks and runs off like an asshole so Winter has to go on without her. They finish the campaign and take back the capital from Raesinia's asshole friend. At the end when Winter is called to meet with Janus, Jane ends up having some of her soldiers cover up her holding Janus hostage while she tries to get him to force Winter to retire at gun point. Winter tries to talk her down but Jane has pretty much lost it(actually it reminds us why she's called "mad jane") and almost shoots Winter. The gun ended up getting jammed because of faulty gunpowder and Jane ends up going to jail.
>>
>>2208567
Nah I'm not gonna read any of that shit.
>>
>>2208402
Genuine, argumentative critique is dead. Addressing the points of a critique itself isn't even up for debate.
Even something as simple as basic grammar.
Everyone needs to be a special snowflake who can do no wrong. This mindset is currently killing a lot of potentially good things.
>>
>>2208403
This is ... actually pretty good? A lot better than what I've seen from other stories with a similar premise (orphaned girl adopted by Amazonian tribe), certainly better than what I expected. And your writing's a breeze to read, in the sense that it manages to be descriptive without growing verbose.

Would you be willing to share any more of it? Also, is that a picture of adult Amber?
>>
>>2208402

They say on their twitter they were 'the Don Draper of Doccubus fanfiction,' yet have only been posting on FFN for three years, and their ability to spin a sentence is atrocious. Very "I did this, then I did that. Then this." Short sentences seem to be the author's only skill set.

"When the ice cold water hit my face, shocking my system and my drunken mind out of the scotch haze. I gasped and sat up from the couch I had passed out on. For a split second I wondered if I was still in the dream. Until I looked around my small living room, panicked at where the water actually had come from. Wiping the freezing from my face and eyes, I saw him. Smirking and holding the pot that was still dripping with the water that now soaked my hair and shirt."

Even "edited", it (Redemptio Animae) still reads like the fanfiction it used to be.
>>
Read two novels by CK Martin - Blood Inheritance is pretty run-of-the-mill UF. Some vampire and some (special?) human work together to save the world and such. Presumably there will be actual romance in the 2nd book, but there isn't anything in the first. Anyway, there's better UF out there.

The other one was Dirty Little War, featuring two criminal women. It starts like every lesbian trope ever - they meet, and instantly fall in lust, which obviously is the same as love. But they're part of rival organizations, and for once the whole criminal-life thing isn't glorified - bad things happen to the heroine.However, that's when the novel improves quite a bit, and while it's still fairly typical it does have some good stuff. Solid little novel.
>>
File: 3647818.jpg (1MB, 1034x2000px) Image search: [Google]
3647818.jpg
1MB, 1034x2000px
>>2208608
that's sort of where she ends up in the story. she goes through something of a wolf phase

and thanks for the praise! I've been writing for a long time on private or commission stuff for practice, and too many of them told me I was wasting my writing on 10 page smut fics

I really wanted the story to be sort of intimate and visceral. really get into the senses she's feeling and a sort of slow lead into this world and culture that's all about sexuality, strength and openness

I'm willing to post another chapter here, but would you rather have Chapter 1 that's a bit of Bella's background, or just the next seen where Bella teaches Amber how they eat, spar, bathe, and what an orgasm is?

pic semi-related. closest thing I've found to Zeru, Amber's wife down the line (braided, brown, and very serious)
>>
>>2208936
Not the same anon but I'd like to see the whole story. If it's going to be published.

On another note, is there a book where the MC is gynophobic?
>>
>>2209008
Needs some editing before that, if you ask me.

Talking about editing; I don't know whether there's a book with a female lesbian who is afraid of women specifically, but Lyn Gardner - Give Me A Reason features a protag who is scared shitless of literally everyone. Also could've done with a bit more editing, and the happy ending was a bit too "easy" in my opinion. But I liked the aaangst.
>>
File: 3144295.jpg (181KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
3144295.jpg
181KB, 1024x768px
>>2209008
definitely still needs a bit of editing, and a lot more writing to be done. been giving it an edit as I work on the rest, but still got to give it one big reread. I'm maybe halfway done with the real deal, depending how far I want to go with it. and if I post the whole thing, not much to actually sell of it. willing to sum up all that's needed

and I'm nearly done publishing the Trials of a Demigoddess story (two more big scenes for that), but been told that short, episodic stories like that do better on Amazon, and a full blown novel thing would do better through an actual publisher
>>
>>2209057
After editing sure, I meant I'd like the whole story, but if you're gonna publish it officially then that's good as well. Could always try to show it to some of the publishing houses. Ylva comes to mind.

Also on Ylva's note, weekly reminder that a free book is gonna be given away tomorrow. This time it's 'A Story of Now' by Emily O'Beirne.
>>
File: 3144299.jpg (271KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
3144299.jpg
271KB, 724x1024px
>>2209114
certainly an option, though have a publisher or two in mind for a physical book I'd try.

anyway, puttin' up Chapter 3. where things first get steamy and sort of sets the town between valla mother and daughter
http://pastebin.com/nLR4X6dw
>>
What's new in the world of /u/ /lit/? Last real book I read from start to finish was Baru. Has anything spectacular showed up again?
>>
>>2209346
>Baru
>spectacular

lmao okay
>>
>>2204763
I too just finished Fingersmith. This was the first novel I'd read because of /u/. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty heavy.
Anyone have any lighter, more romance-y entry points into /u/ lit?
>>
I've spent the last 5 years writing /u/ literature, and something which keeps me going is the knowledge there really is an audience out there who wants this stuff. Thanks for existing, ladies.
>>
Anyone here read /u/-related webserials and the like? Serial release schedules agree with me more than full novels at the moment and I personally like how the few /u/ ones tend to be more 'stories with incidental lesbians' rather than full-on romances.
>>
>>2209456
Don't thank anyone here, this shit is all stolen.
>>
Finished "Steel and Promise" by Alexa Black. Not the first time I read erotica, but I think this one sets my personal record on percentage of scenes involving sex: there's roughly two that don't; one featuring a kid, and the climax (no pun intended...).

dunno what the author intended to do with it. It's scifi, alright, and then probably sm...ish. But more like plain cruelty. Lots of blood involved. Rather dark end, too.
>>
Also, does anyone know how amazon page-count works? Just spotted a 65,000 words 250 pages novel - I'd have put that at perhaps 100 pages. Is it automatically calculated? Something the author provides?
>>
>>2209723
Google says average words per page in a novel are estimated at about 250.
65,000 words / 250 words per page = 260 pages.

Of course a lot depends on font size and other things.
>>
>>2209788
Apparently amazon introduced this KENPC standard for how to calculate page numbers for novels. Not sure whether it applies to all or just KU, and I haven't found anywhere what precise font settings etc they use to calculate this, but I suppose it's then at least "internally comparable".

Still, it's at times confusing:
Sam Ryan's Dynasty 1 claims to have 80,000 words, 234 pages.
Robin Roseau's Outside the Box supposedly has 65,000 words and 261 pages.

Pretty big difference, which is odd, if both page counts are calculated by Amazon with the same settings. There obviously are things that are unaffected by settings and can account for having more or less pages, but for a difference this large? Oh well ...
>>
>>2206768
Here ya go sister, included the sequel too.
http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/Ka0NQCPr/file.html
>>
>>2209456
And thank you for writing for us!

>>2209613
Lots of the nee-sans who visit the /lit/ threads buy books too.
I've spent ~$80 this year. Not a huge amount, but I do support my favourite authors.
>>
>>2209431
watch the handmaiden if you haven't yet, it takes kind of a more "light-hearted" spin on the story.

You could try and playing the role of herself by K.E Lane, something in the wine by jae...
>>
>>2209798
Didn't know what KENPC standard is but first result on google had something to say about it.

http://blog.180g.co/2015/10/even-more-details-about-kenpc/
>In our test, specifying a larger-than-normal font size increased page count by 25%. Greater line spacing, added paragraph spacing — essentially, all the tricks you learned to stretch the length of a term paper — can also be used to increase page count.
>But it can go the other way, too: some styling changes can decrease KENPC. Changing text to use standard indentation and spacing creates a more professional result, but can lower page count (though typically by a smaller amount)

>These differences are, of course, something most thought shouldn’t happen with KENPC. The N in KENPC stands for normalized, and Amazon claims that KENPC calculations are “based on standard settings (e.g. font, line height, line spacing, etc.).” Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

TLDR; it's not consistent.
>>
>>2209853
aka "let's make a standard that standardizes nothing". Well. That makes loads of sense and explains everything, I suppose. Thanks, somehow my Google felt like displaying different posts about it; mainly ones concerned with the monetary effect this system has for authors (also interesting, admittedly).
>>
>>2209844
Thank you, I will look for those next. I appreciate the earnest spoonfeeding.
>>
>>2209379
It's good writing. Despite the bad end it doesn't lose your interest.
>>
Finished "The Boss" by everyone's favorite Robin Roseau. Ha ha. Love how predictable a writer he is - of course they're doing some weird games, including some "party punishments", and of course they're doing this whole "you are mine" dialogue thing.

To be fair, it's actually mostly harmless stuff in this one. Even if I can't say I approve of the relationship, which is kinda ... ya know. A problem in a romance.

But then the bigger part is about a woman setting up her own company and while it wasn't anything spectacular I liked it. "Rich and successful" protagonists aren't rare, but Dar&Kerry and Shaken series aside there aren't many where the author actually writer about what they do to be rich and successful, aside from maybe a single token scene. So I quite liked that.

But I'm very much divided about whether the good parts make up for the bad parts in that particular novel. Probably ends up mostly canceling each other out.
>>
I love the Queen Bee and awkward geek slowly fall for each other trope. Any recommendations?
>>
>>2209825
Thanks my friend
>>
Ok, I've read the Dar&Kerry series but I haven't tried Shaken. Since it's not on mobilism, care to share it if you have it?
>>
>>2210645
I think it's in the calibre torrent or something.

Anyway:
http://www87.zippyshare.com/v/hmBdRa5q/file.html
1-4. There's less "business" than with Dar, but at least some.
>>
>>2210645
Does the Dar and Kerry series get better? I really like the first book and I think I finished the second but it seems like the rest is just more of the same, and there was all that bullshit with Dar's parents...
>>
>>2210780
If it is anything like any other long /u/ series I've read then they will only get worse and worse. Serial /u/ authors always beat the characters into the ground with endless suffering.
>>
>>2210785

Well that would be the exception to the rule then,
the author actually loves her characters enough to manage to keep the serie interesting without endless suffering.
There may be some growing pains in their adventures, but nothing too angsty.
I find that (ongoing) serie a very relaxing read myself and I frequently go back to it.
>>2210780
My rec: go for it, even the parents (yes both of them) grow on you after a while
>>
>>2210820
It's a bit slice-of-life-ish, I'd claim. There's some developments, but not too much, some drama, but not too much ...

They don't cheat on each other. Neither of them gets cancer or ends up in wheel chair. They don't adopt a kid or get pregnant. Nobody gets raped, either.

Some stuff still happens (obviously, there needs to be some sort of plot) but on a personal level it's mostly about Dar being dissatisfied with her job and Kerry being dissatisfied with her family.

Anyway, I like following protagonists around for multiple books instead of just one, and the Dar ones are good enough for that with some fun scenes (mostly Dar yelling at somebody). Lex&Amanda is a bit similar, but somehow I never liked that quite as much. dunno if there's anything else with that many books.
>>
File: My first u novel.png (227KB, 1026x636px) Image search: [Google]
My first u novel.png
227KB, 1026x636px
I've been trying to come up with a simple newcomer guide to /u/lit. I'm pretty happy with how the left side turned out, save for one urban fantasy vampire novel, but now I'm stuck.

So I'm looking for the following suggestions/recommendations:
- one or two urban fantasy vampire novels
- one or two crime/thriller or any sort of mystery novels
- 5 or 6 romance novels and a way to divide them a bit more than just "romance"
- any changes to the existing layout/recs
Looking for books that won't scare away any newcomers, with as little of het and rape as possible. Preferably something popular with lots of GR reviews and a nice score.

There are a few things I'm not 100% sure about either. Does Nicola Griffiths Slow River really go under dystopian scifi? Is the text in the gray circles fine or too distracting? Should I scrap the background for just one solid color or something else entirely?
Also the layout on the right will probably change once I have the romance recs.

Any help appreciated.
>>
OK, I've read a few books and gotba few general recs theme is fantasy.

Dragonoak 1 & 2:
The protagonist is a necromancer in a world where that magic is forbidden and she travels with and falls in love with a dragonslayer. The romance is slow but sweet, and there is this sort of nice familial love between the MC and some side characters. First book can get boring during the first half because they do nothing but travel.

Breaking Legacies:
The Protagonist is a hunter who has been hired to find the runaway princess of her kingdom. This one kind of hits the ground running. Daring action scenes lots of cute flirting, light angst, political intrigue, the first half is great. The second half turns into stock swords and sorcery stuff though, but if you're invested in the characters it's still a fine read.

Of Fire and Stars:
Protagonist is a princess with secret magical powers who is to marry into a kingdom where magic is hated. I liked this one but the LI was kinda abrasive and that's usually a turn off for me. They spend some good time together, lots of romantic horse riding and visiting each others rooms at midnight, but the book is focused on solving the mystery of an assassination and conspiracy. Also, almost all the adult characters are stupid and unlikable which is a shame.

That's what I read recently. Also funnily enough All these books have MCs who are crazy overpowered
>>
I was in the mood for some "normal" romance so I started Courting the Countess ... but it pissed me off by hitting every /u/ trope ever. It probably isn't that bad but between instant attraction and flimsy excuses not to do anything about it and the "you need to change into an entirely different person first" stuff, coupled with an otherwise severely lacking plot ...

So I switched to Brown's Far Away from Home and loved it. I suppose the reverse of what is true for the Countess applies here: while I liked it, the narrating protagonist, in some ways, is selfish, needy and shallow. I could see how some wouldn't 'click' with her and hate the novel. But, obviously, she is ill - anorexia - so that's why she is the way she is. Anyway, the plot is the classic "let's do a fake relationship" thing, except they do it so the Indian love interest can get a green card, which at least makes sense. They don't expect too much fuss, just a quiet arrangement, but once the Indian mother gets told that her daughter is about to get married she immediately starts organizing a three day wedding with 300 plus guests ... ha ha. That's also, at least to my awareness, pretty much the only Indian trope that appears - except that they're probably a bit "proper and housewife-ish", too, which however is perfectly contrasted by the crude way she talks about sex and her general attitude towards that. There's some great dialogues in that novel ...
... it's unfortunately a bit short so it doesn't dive too deeply into any issue aside from the anorexia problem, but I enjoyed it start to finish.
>>
>>2211616
>one or two crime/thriller or any sort of mystery novels
Red Files by Lee Winter is a must in my opinion. I'm not big on thrillers/crime but I loved that book.

>>2211635
Did you try reading The Broken Coil? It's a pretty good fantasy story too. (I have mentioned this book a lot of times in the previous thread. I'm sorry if I'm being annoying.)

>>2211776
Are you me?
Courting the Countess pissed me off since the beginning. Dropped it almost inmediately.
Today I started reading Far From Home and I'm enjoying it so far.
>>
>>2211616
>5 or 6 romance novels and a way to divide them a bit more than just "romance"
Maybe by setting or time period? Western / victorian / WW2 etc.
Or something like Hollywood actress / royalty / single mom / teacher x student / toaster oven, etc.

I'd love to see Her Name in the Sky
by Kelly Quindlen in there somewhere. Pretty popular book, and my personal favourite YA. Can be put under heavy angst or "christian childhood BFFs gone hella gay".

The Blind Side of Love by Ingrid Díaz for a highly rated long, slow, but well written romance with a famous actress.

Perhaps a fairy tale subcategory under fantasy?
The Raven and the Reindeer by T. Kingfisher, without a doubt. As a reserve, Ash by Malinda Lo is well known.
>>
>>2211616
Here are a few additional rec choices so the list has more options
>No Adult Stuff
Our Demented Play Date
>Comedy
More good choices for Robin Alexander
Promises, Promises
Midnight in Orlando
A Date with Angel
>Crime/thriller
Engravings of Wraith, Fractured Tapestry and Icehole
>Fantasy/Magic
Pegasi and Prefects
That Witch!
>Mystery
Daughter of Mystery
>Urban Fantasy
Vampire:Good Enough to Eat
Shapeshifters: Second Nature/True Nature
>SciFi
Supreme Constellations series
Exodus series
>Romance->Contemporary
Accidental Love
Spectrum, Atramentum
Under a Falling Star
Departure From the Script
>Romance->Age Gap
Gun Brooke

>Any changes to the layout

I think it might be helpful to have the branches with the same angle for each type of branch so the diagram flow is more predictable.The font could be changed so the genre points stand out more. The grey text on a grey circle isn't the best choice either.
>>
Anyone have the new Robin Alexander book 'The Last of the Loudens'
>>
>>2211635
>Dragonoak
I read through the first and I gotta ask, is the same style of writing kept in the second one as well? It was confusing at times. It starts off as though it's a story told by the MC, and then from time to time, it shifts a bit to show what another person feels/means by her/his words and general posture and stuff, but it's from first person and it's really weird to see that, because while there are certainly observant people, I doubt there are those who can say for sure what the other character if feeling. Again, first-person makes it odd to say the least. Not to mention all the typos.

Also, does the second book end on a huge cliffhanger like the first? The author wrote on his blog that the third part will be out by the end of the year, but I'm doubting that now.
>>
File: My first u novel.png (302KB, 1309x726px) Image search: [Google]
My first u novel.png
302KB, 1309x726px
>>2212012
>>2212035
>>2212125
Thanks for the recs and suggestions.
Only thing I'm missing now is one Urban Fantasy vampire novel. I don't feel comfortable putting in Good Enough to Eat by Jae because it has my favorite 1 star review on GR (which is pretty much the only reason I haven't read it, I like Jaes other works though).
I guess I could replace it with another sub-genre if there are no nice candidates, but from what I remember from other threads, the vampire novels tend to be pretty popular so I'd like to include at least one.

I like how this turned out, even though I initially planned to include only 20 titles or less, the current version is at 25. I could put in more, but then it would probably surpass my original intention of keeping it simple.
The layout feels better, I'm probably not changing that anymore (other than corrections for the vampire novel), still keeping an open mind on the colors/background though, but I guess this not entirely horrible.

If anyone has any suggestions on replacing/removing something, you better have a good reason for it, because changing this thing feels like a real chore by now.
>>
>>2212585
CM Michaels - Dangerous Waters
Mel Elvers - Waking Up Vampire
Sarah E Glenn - All This And Family, Too (comedy)
Jennie Taylor - Non-Vampire Series (YA)
Jordan Redhawk - Sanquire Series (YAish)
Winter Pennington - Rosso Lussuria (erotica)

Frankly, there isn't any outstanding lesbian vampire UF. At least not to my knowledge. There's some good ones with bi protagonists (Athanate eg) or were maybe vamps appear as side-character, but otherwise ...

Also, the mystery genre is woefully underrepresented in that chart. I mean, obviously there isn't going to be a perfect compromise that'll satisfy everyone, but - after romance - there is no bigger subgenre with more books and, to be frank, with actually good ones, too.
>>
>>2212609
> Mel Elvers
I really got some wires crossed with that author. It's, again, "Evers".
>>
>>2212585
That looks great now, nice job.

I can't think of a single vampire book ever being recommended here. Carmilla is the only one besides Jae's that I even know of.
>>
>>2212617
Were are the werewolves? I don't give me straight vampire literature.
>>
File: fdwm4.jpg (753KB, 1555x2269px) Image search: [Google]
fdwm4.jpg
753KB, 1555x2269px
>>2212585
Good work ! I wanted some time ago to build a chart like pic related for /u/ lit, but I'm a lazy fuck.

On a side note I would recommend backwards to oregon from jae into your historical section
>>
>>2212627
> I don't give me
Huh?

>>2212791
I'm guessing anon wouldn't want that listed because of prostitution, het, rape, pretending to be a man which isn't in line with their beginner friendly "My first /u/ novel". Though I think there are a few on the list that have some of that anyway so maybe its because Jae is on there twice already.
>>
>>2212609

I read a vampire novella a while back that I thought was pretty great, but I know I'm not going to remember the name. Just that it was pretty short, had hardcore-mode vamps (died in sunlight, need to straight up kill people to survive, etc.), and involved a couple of decades-old protags.

Also I'm reading Good Enough to Eat by Jae and someone else rn. So far I like it, but I'm pretty early in the novel atm
>>
Why in all hells would you call your protag "Atrocious". As in that's her name. What the fuck?
>>
File: My first u novel.png (302KB, 1309x726px) Image search: [Google]
My first u novel.png
302KB, 1309x726px
Well, here it is. Hopefully the final version.

Again, thanks for all the help.
With all the comments on what should or shouldn't go in, I sort of feel like a more detailed guide is in order. Maybe two? One for standard fiction and another for fantasy and scifi. These would probably contain more works with controversial topics as well as maybe some more niche genres. Maybe a guide to the more popular authors would be a better approach, I dunno.

If anyone feels like sharing a few ideas or maybe a list of works I could start working on some basic concepts tomorrow.
>>
>>2211776
Far From Home was some thing that was made just for me. Sick MC, great chemistry, parents who aren't jerks, theme of finding a new family, some angst, it was great. Even better was that I am half Indian so I feel familiar with some of this stuff. Even though she looks quite different I imagined the mother as my uncle's wife.
>>
Read two more "normal" romances. A Palette for Love by Charlotte Greene - basically it's about an established art dealer hiring a newly made (art) Doctor as her assistant. Now, the art dealer is one of the typical lesbian romance stereotypes: awesome looking, fantastically confident, super rich, reputation of a player etc.
But the author then manages to twist the trope and make her a real person; she gets nervous when she meets the family of her love interest, is insecure about their relationship, etc. Coupled with the likeable Doctor it was a quite nice romance.
But it's very short, and kinda stops in the middle of nowhere. It's just suddenly over. Several plot devices aren't ever resolved; it's really not very satisfying. Real shame, could've been good.

Also, Spectrum by Duncan. Likeable protagonists and fun dialogues, but ... there isn't anything else. It's, for once, a long romance, but then it comes without any sort of plot beyond some very minor trouble with the protagonist's family. For anyone looking for some relaxing read with just about no drama - probably perfect. I, unfortunately, was bored to almost death.

>>2212918
There's also RG Emanuelle's Have a Bite. Apparently it's supposed to be very short and I'm not a huge fan of that, so I haven't gotten around to it. The preview seemed to be very solid (well-written for once!), though, so maybe for someone who doesn't mind ...

>>2213068
That mother was great. Just the right mix of mildly-annoyingly motherly without being an obnoxious meddler. Same for how she's taking lots of "Western" stuff in a stride, but at the same time stays somewhat traditional. Basically, she's like a real person.

Shame the novel isn't longer, could've been really great.
>>
>>2213065
Good shit, nee-san.
A "I really liked this genre, what do I read now?" follow-up would be cool.
>>
>>2213065
Is this seriously the first time someone has ever created a chart like this? These threads have been around for like six years.
>>
Thought I posted this before, but I can't find my comment.

I finished the Shewstone, and I enjoyed it. Good plot, worldbuilding, and character development. Solid, in my opinion.
>>
It's winter, so lots of time to read: finished Cash Braddock. Surprisingly good. It's about a small drug dealer ... dealing drugs. And bantering with the quite fun neighbor kid. And, of course, dealing with somebody new in her life.

The end, however, while no surprise - damnit. I don't know. It's "realistic", but I didn't feel satisfied.

I also tried Capturing Jessica, 'cause I usually like art themes, but it's too ... err. Too butch. And too little of anything else. Two friends who long since have been attracted to each other but didn't do anything about it, and now it's about to change ... yeah, been there, done that. Didn't finish.
>>
This Sunday's Ylva free book is Without A Front: The Producer's Challenge by Fletcher DeLancey
>>
File: sorting_u_books.png (881KB, 9383x1024px) Image search: [Google]
sorting_u_books.png
881KB, 9383x1024px
>>2213644
It was an inspiring idea, in any case. Went and sorted through my folder and created this unreadable chart.

Probably not very useful, but great fun was had. Especially with all the books were I couldn't remember what the heck they were about.
>>
>>2215542
but that's amazing
>>
>>2212238
It's on mobilism
>>
Does anyone have Masquerade by Erik Schubach
>>
>>2208555
Finished the second book earlier today, took me longer than usual cause it's winter and I can't read at work as much.

Really dumb ending and in my opinion the actual "battle" parts of the novel were really weak, and I thought the whole all-female infantry unit was not handled well.

Hopefully the next few novels are better.
>>
>>2216299
Its on mobolism im about to read it myself http://forum.mobilism.org/viewtopic.php?f=1292&t=1861436&hilit=ff+epub&sid=e92d6c7151ad47ab78c4a5283c8213fd
>>
>>2217090
Thank you
>>
>>2215542
That tagging scheme is super nice, thanks for the list

Related: anyone have Alien Queen by Helen Atreya?
>>
>>2217180
Sure:
http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/tI8fD5K0/file.html

It might look like yet another stupid erotica, but those plot twists! Phew! Brilliant.
>>
>>2215542
Holy crap. Bravo.
>>
>>2215542
I'm not sure whether to be impressed you managed to create the chart or whether you managed to finish reading all those to the right of the chart.
>>
>>2218692
Ha. There are mitigating circumstances: those books generally are shorter (some are short stories, which I otherwise tried to avoid), and I also won't pretend I read them with the same attention as the others. There's also a few cases like Alif where I skipped entire parts - that plot turned from mildly disturbing to seriously disgusting, happy ending or not. Also, some of them are surprisingly good, or at least well-written - Down Deep Inside is sick (rape, drugs, torture, corruption...), but there's loads of work put into the setting, and it's better edited than just about 90% of other /u/ stories ...

But admittedly the bigger factor is that I have this hard to explain love for weird novels. I'd rather read something odd than something good, most of the time. Which was helpful, since it means I read a little of everything I found.

Anyway. It's not really much work, making a table-like chart like that. The first-/u/-novel one actually was probably more difficult to do. If there's interest, I wouldn't mind expanding it, but for certain genres like YA I'd definitely need suggestions. It's just not something I personally read.
>>
>>2212609
I've read most of those but not Waking up vampire - Mel Evers

Could /u/ share?
>>
File: 1480196087826.jpg (676KB, 1024x1638px) Image search: [Google]
1480196087826.jpg
676KB, 1024x1638px
>>2204762
and updated Amazon with the last chapter, and the omnibus "Olympian" version
>>
>>2208403
Wait wait wait. Have you talked about it before?
>>
>>2220777
some, yes. tossed it into a yuri plot thread, at least
>>
File: 512pJYg81UL.jpg (41KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
512pJYg81UL.jpg
41KB, 333x500px
My Googlefu is horrible but this keeps showing up in my lesbian urban fantasy recommendations on Amazon. Is it a lesbian book series or is it straight/bi? And for that matter is it even good?
>>
>>2221466
Looks like het according to goodreads. Besides book 2 and 3 are called Stormrage and Stormwind - sounds like a hint to avoid it.
>>
>>2221541
Thanks for finding out, I couldn't find anything.
>>
>>2221466

Pulled this from author's blog:

Which brings me to point number two. Yep, I’m gay. Lesbian is the term I prefer, or “lesbian-leaning bi.” I’ve even been married to someone of my own sex, which is about as gay as you can get. I have marched in Washington and Connecticut, stood outside state capitols with my little sign and had the shit kicked out of me for the privilege. I’m a full on card-carrying member of the LGBT community, which might explain why I have gay and bi characters in my novels. Duh.

That brings up something I am very proud of, though. I don’t write “lgbt novels” or erotica. I am one of the few successful mainstream authors whose primary characters are gay or bi. Stormrise, Stormwind and Raven all reached the top ten in horror and sat right next to Stephen King and Robert Masello. Two of them held the #1 slot and “got the flag” as is said in small press circles. Ashen Rayne, the first book in the Shadowlands series, was #1 in LGBT mysteries for six months and #4 in, you guessed it, horror. The main character is a lesbian. Most recently, the sixth novel in the Storm Chronicles™, STORM, hit the same target. Not many authors have achieved that level of success with “alternative sexuality characters” and I am extremely proud of that. I thank each and every reader who made that possible and proved the world isn’t as bigoted as the loudmouths would have you believe.

But if you want outright /u/, keep looking. Main character is bisexual apparently but doesn't even have her second lesbian relationship until book #4. Really it may as well be het.
>>
>>2221876
Thanks for the info, yeah, dropping it like it's hot. I just wanted more Urban Fantasy books to read
>>
I was wondering if anyone can help me remember a book title i only remember bits of the book it starts out 2 women living on the streets with 2 kids and are trying to escape the cold by entering a office building but they see a woman get attacked by someone near her car and they yell i believe to scare the attacker away then using the woman who was attacked car to drive her to a hospital. I might be off on some details but this is first chapter or 2 i believe
>>
Anyone have Of Fire And Stars by Audrey Coulthurst? I would appreciate it.
>>
>>2221876
Wait wait, you're trying to tell me a book with THAT cover was a (relatively) mainstream success?

I dunno if I believe it...
>>
>>2221876
>Yep, I’m gay. Lesbian is the term I prefer, or “lesbian-leaning bi.”
Why do these retards fail at simple logic and common sense?
>>
>>2222377
Because special snowflake subcategories know no bounds. EVERYONE is singular and unique.
>>
>>2222305
From mobilism:

http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/V0VHU8uG/file.html
>>
About to start a fantasy yuri story and was wondering is it generally a good idea to start working on a "setting bible" early or is it bad to put too much detail into things you may never end up exploring?

I have a pretty shit short term memory so as a rule I do tend to write ideas for characters and settings as they come.
>>
>>2222514
>is it generally a good idea to start working on a "setting bible"

I would make one. But that's just how I prefer to write. It's good if consistency is a big concern of yours.
And I wouldn't worry about writing things that may never end up being used. Exploring your own world is never a waste of time unless you have a strict deadline.
Just having that knowledge in the background as you write can improve the story.
>>
File: 00001.jpg (41KB, 566x748px) Image search: [Google]
00001.jpg
41KB, 566x748px
>>2222325

This cover is much better, but she's not remotely mainstream, let alone known. Her publisher is a small-time group of cunts who rip authors off and play favourites, and they don't have a clue about editing (swear to god, Google them, it's a fucking tragedy they exist.)
>>
>>2222514

Honestly? Aside from editing, continuity is the first thing people mock and laugh at so it definitely helps having a bible. If you get everything sorted first, you don't have to worry about it later down the track. Or (seeing as you sound like a pantser) keep track of what you create as you go so you can fix it all later. I don't mind typos, but not getting something as simple as age or hair right is laughable (Matthew Reilly has sold 7 million books and can't keep anything straight, nor do the editors + proofreaders at Pan MacMillan seem to be able to read as they miss every single one.)
>>
have any of you guys heard "Of Fire and Stars"? it's lesbian and i was surprised it was not hidden on the shelves at Chapters. i think it's leaned towards young adults/teens though, but hey its about lesbians
>>
>>2222789
>>2222453
Just do a search on the thread.
>>
>>2222514
If you feel you need it for continuity or memory reasons, or think you'll enjoy it, go ahead!

But be careful. It's very easy to fall into the trap of always writing the background/setting and never actually getting to your story itself. If you find this a problem, set yourself a strict limit, or start writing some random scenes while you work on the background as well.
>>
>>2222292
Found the book i was looking for it was when love finds a home by megan carter.
>>
>>2222453
>http://www47.zippyshare.com/v/V0VHU8uG/file.html

link's dead
>>
>>2204371

At least Google it once. You type in the author's name and put 'epub' and poof. You may or may not find it. Took me 2 seconds. IBookPile has it.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/tnx3oi
>>
>>2223083

meant that for >>2223031
>>
File: 4562574.jpg (84KB, 358x201px) Image search: [Google]
4562574.jpg
84KB, 358x201px
Merry christmas everyone ! Are you guys getting /u/ books for christmas ?

Also, any recs for christmas related novels ?
>>
>>2223413
Thanks, you too.
I am, actually.
>>
Does anyone have Alien Brood by Helen Atreya
>>
>>2222377
Because the world isn't clear-cut. Maybe you should get out and experience it for a bit instead of wasting your holidays away getting mad about what pigeonhole people sort themselves in.
>>
>>2223084
>>2223031
solidfiles.com

/v/xq7G5dQj5aNR3
>>
>>2223660
Bisexual and homosexual are exclusive categories though.
>>
>>2223786

Clearly you haven't been on Tumblr. People are now demiromantic pansexual grey aces and such, because apparently EVERYONE needs to know who you'll fuck and who you won't.
>>
>>2223884
Too long a subject for this thread but "queer" is just a way for bored (and usually homophobic) straights to indentify their way into the oppression olympics where they can cram their opinions down everyone's throats because they're oh so oppressed. Saying bullshit like sexuality is complicated or fluid or whatever is just a less obvious way of saying "you just haven't met the right guy yet". Well, no, it's not that complicated for most people and if you're bisexual maybe stop trying to appropriate someone else's identity because odds are you'll end up with a guy anyway.

So, books...
>>
>>2223413
I too would like to hear some recs for Christmas u-lit stuff. The fluffier the better
>>
hello u lit.
i downloaded the 2016 zippyshare thing and have been doing this >>2206892 for the past week. How do i stop reading instead of sleeping?
>>
>>2223996
Masturbate yourself to sleep.
>>
>>2223884
I have, but I refuse to indulge that shit. Other categories aside, homosexuality, heterosexuality and bisexuality still remain exclusive to one another.

>>2223898
I can’t say I haven’t used queer in the past, but at the time it still signified significant same sex attraction. I apparently completely missed the watering down of its meaning until recently.

But yeah, books. I only really read scifi, anything decent in that genre?
>>
>>2223996
Embrace the sleep deprivation, anon. That's what I did.
>>
>>2224044
>>2224192
thanks sempai. i'll try these strategies, perhaps simultaneously
>>
Can anyone hit me up with trails merge by Rachel Spangler or if anyones got her full works that'd be amazing
>>
Never too late to join they said.
Is this place comfy? Like Christmast week comfy?
>>
>>2224917
I'm pretty comfy myself. Is the book of your picture worth it? (Is it /u/? has bad ending?)

Right now I'm rereading Sword of the Guardian because I was in the mood to read something with a fantasy setting.
>>
Trying to find a book i read a while back it involves a woman traveling to where her brother died in a car accident that might not of been a acident. she then trys to figure out what happened another notable part of the book is a jeep business i believe the owner of it call the jeeps her purple ladies or something similar i may be off though.
>>
>>2224911
http://www12.zippyshare.com/v/LwBwdcAm/file.html here you go trails merge
>>
>>2224917
I don'y know which book tgat is but reading the reviews and the series seems to be a generic hetero romance, later books are even tagged with love triangle. So I would say it definitely wasn't worth it.
>>
>>2225540
Thank you!
>>
File: 31201941[1].jpg (90KB, 317x475px) Image search: [Google]
31201941[1].jpg
90KB, 317x475px
Just read two YA books.

Here's The Thing I didn't like as much as Emily O'Beirne's other books. The Story Of Now took two decently-lengthy books to tell one story; this one takes a single pretty short book and tries to tell two, one in narrated flashback, and they both suffer for it. Neither plot has any time to do anything very meaningful or have much of a payoff, and when something interesting does seem to be happening it's always time to interrupt it by cutting back to the other one. The love interest is seriously just "girl who gets three adjectives in her introduction and in the end they kiss"; I spent the first third of the book seriously wondering if it was actually a romance novel or if all of the current-events stuff was just a framing device for the protagonist to angst about her sort-of-ex. She's kind of cute in her awkward gayness, I guess. Not badly written on any technical level, just really doesn't try to do anything very much at all.
>>
File: 28932275[1].jpg (62KB, 297x475px) Image search: [Google]
28932275[1].jpg
62KB, 297x475px
The Space Between by Michelle Teichman was better, but it felt very much the definition of "good, but not great". Which is usual, of course, but if was more of a shame here because it had the all of the ingredients to be really amazing. It spends almost all of its focus on the main couple, and they're certainly cute enough, but it misses so many chances to be even more.

It looks like it's setting up a Little Princess type situation with the popular protagonist losing it all only to nobly endure until comeuppance arrives, but the big confrontation gets put off again and again and in the end has no real effect. It looks like it's going to deal with faith and family and rebellion with the love interest's preacher father and her own genuine faith, but he shows up for literally one scene in order to deliver a straw anti-gay sermon, and that's it. The biggest shame is the protagonist's older sister, who could have been a fascinating character. She's the school's queen bee and works to set up her sister as her sucessor, because she really loves her and that's the best way she knows to help her, not realizing either that she's stifling her from becoming her own person, or that her younger sister's secret relationship could fatally undermine both of their positions. Sounds like a dramatic setup to deal with familial expecations and bonds from a somewhat unusual angle, sisterly rather than parental. Instead she just suddenly drops out of the story in favor of cutesy moments between the main couple (and to be fair, they ARE cute) only to pop back up a tiny way from the end to have a big fight about it than make up literally a few pages later and become an antropomorphization of an "I'm Proud Of My Gay Sister" bumper sticker.

I liked the romance, and maybe I'm just spoiled from having reread Taking Flight, but it felt like the author could have done something so much more with this setup, both a sweet YA romance and a powerful meaning in its own right.
>>
>>2225540
I dont know what happened but the text is all mixed up for me. I even dl it twice but same
>>
>>2225955
Im not sure why its doing that ive downloaded it and its fine for me its in the calibre torrent also from the op
>>
>>2225861
>>2225866

We got the same taste. I never thought TSB was as amazing was everyone make it sound. It's a good story but so generic.
>>
>>2225955
The epub is a simple conversion from a pdf of the book. The conversion has included the header and footer from every page of the pdf, which is why book title, author name and page number is mixed in with the actual text.
Quite a few of the books from the calibre torrent are like that, unfortunately.
>>
hey does anyone have "Hearts and flowers border - L. T. Smith"?
>>
There you go: http://www110.zippyshare.com/v/elQ4iZJA/file.html

Does anyone have The Right Time by Susan X. Meagher? I can't find it anywhere!
>>
Sorry, the previous message was for >>2226681
>>
>>2227317
>Does anyone have The Right Time by Susan X. Meagher?

Here ya go, sis:
http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/JyOX49jF/file.html
>>
>>2227317
>The Right Time by Susan X. Meagher

>Townsend

Whatever happened to real names? Some of these are just ridiculous.
>>
>>2206616
>Crystal Eyes

Which one's that?
>>
Anyone have the flight sqa016 series by a e radley or reality lesbian series by q Kelley? They don't show up anywhere and all the torrents are dead.
>>
Thanks, you're a legend.
>>
Please recommend me something about hot lesbian vampires.
>>
File: 51K2sfaOD5L.jpg (41KB, 325x500px) Image search: [Google]
51K2sfaOD5L.jpg
41KB, 325x500px
Just finished Ice Massacre by Tiana Warner, the first book in her series

I would recommend it if you're looking for a quick read (I finished in under a day while being a slow reader). Description wise - sort of campy. And not overtly lesbian. The basic premise is a Hunger Games-esque plot mixed with supernatural elements. An all-female crew if 18 year olds is sent out to sea to partake of their customary "massacres" in order to thin the numbers of evil mermaids attacking their island. (There are a couple plot holes). Of course the mc befriended a mermaid in her childhood and they end up on opposite sides of the war, becoming a case of star-crossed lovers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mywfjj63ogsho2m/IceMassacre-TW.epub?dl=0
>>
>>2227894
I feel like I've seen this exact post made in this thread before, are you Tiana Warner?
>>
>>2227927
I thought it probably was made. But I was too lazy to search for it. Plus poor Tiana isn't getting 3.99.
>>
>>2227927
I think that'd be the first time some author advertises her work by pointing out plot holes and positing a pirated copy of the book ...
... but if it is, I appreciate the cunning mind behind such a move.

Anyway, I've recently been reading some /u/ Japanese web novels, but I don't quite think they fit here. Well. None of them were particularly great anyway, although the one about a yuri tentacle wasn't entirely bad, ha ha ...
>>
>>2227894
You should read the sequel it's pretty great.
>>
>>2227678

http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/iTYz9gDu/file.html - Flight SQA016

Ylva keeps delaying the "second book"/Grounded aka the rest of the story.

Don't expect much logic in Flight, or mature characters. It's still a former fic and the author's conversion was poor, but the greatest tragedy is Gill McKnight had to edit it.
>>
>>2227341
Thank you!
>>
I hate to ask, but I'm feeling really down. I haven't really been keeping up with releases, or this place, are there any recent books that would cheer me up?
>>
>>2228077
Eh I read it. It's more plot than romance, since the two leads spend most of it a part. And it was annoying to read how the mermaid kept getting called babe or being hit on by the mermen. Hopefully the third book will have the girls spend more time together because besides their childhood chapters, their romance is under developed imo.
>>
>>2228347
>Gill McKnight had to edit it.
Jesus Christ, she should stick to writing Garoul/werewolf books.
>>2228442
The Last of the Loudens by Robin Alexander. My jaw hurt from laughing Fucking pipes.
>>
>>2215542
This is actually quite helpful when in the mood for a specific subgenre. Thanks for making it
>>
Anyone got the epub of Stranded by Blayne Cooper, please?
There a pdf version on mobilism but it get all mess up when I convert it.
>>
Thanks mate.
>>
>>2228844
Any recs on something with a really young protag i.e 14 and under? Please nothing skeevy, I just want something with either lots of emotion or something super cute.
>>
>>2229265
Did not mean to quote.
>>
>>2229265
Only one I can think of that I read with young characters is the Pegasi & Prefects series. At least I think they're around that age.
Bluebell Hall, too, but I don't recommend that one because of the lackluster writing.

I haven't read it so I don't know how strong the romance is or if it even has any but the Jinx series by Alice Rozen has a 10 year old young protagonist and the 1 review on goodreads implies she is gay.

Our Demented Playdate is cute but they're probably closer to 16.
>>
I need a lesbian version of "the school of good and evil".

The book was tailor made to be a les book. Too bad it didn't end that way.
>>
Does anyone have Bridget Essex's The Sullivan Vampires books?
>>
>>2229432
Looks like complete trash desu. Also the author, ugh.
>>
>>2229015
Here
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/ZA1wePLA/file.html
Is one of my favourites, hope you enjoy it too.
>>
>>2229265
Dunno if I should recommend it or not, a fair amount of people like it on Amazon based on reviews.

Love or Lust - Jaye Em Edgecliff

The two girls are fourteen and fall in love at first sight. It's pure fluff. Personally, I thought it was terrible but it might be what you might like it.
>>
>>2228568
Thank you so much.
>>
>>2229519

Thank you
>>
>>2229468
Here you go
http://www46.zippyshare.com/v/zJQSpDy3/file.html
>>
Anyone have the moment by T C Anderson?
>>
Wishes for 2017: A Date with Angel sequel. Baru Cormorant sequel, if possible. Dragonoak part 3.

Let's start the year thinking positively ...
>>
>>2230328
Garoul 5
>>
>>2225365
Like >>2225583 said. Fantasy part is nice until the last 150 pages of hetero love triangle. Book 1 ends with friendship. I probably won't continue reading its sequels.
>>
>>2230328
-A decent /u/ book with a really traumatised teen MC (like Unspeakable this year)
-A very long and twisty /u/ castles and knights fantasy, and a very long and highly indulgent /u/ sorcery fantasy
-Pegasi and Prefects, Dragonoak 3 and maybe Baru 2 though that seems unlikely
-a third edition of the blind side of love that is again radically different from the other two.
-A good /u/ book by some mainstream author.

I'll come back at the end of this year and see if I'll get any of these.
>>
Someone should make a list of all announced wlw books for 2017. I have no idea how to track this stuff.
>>
>>2211635
hey gotta say I really enjoyed breaking legacies and of fire and stars. well written with good romance.

do you have any other book recs? doesn't have to be fantasy
>>
How do I convert DRM Kindle books? Calibre blocks, of course.
>>
>>2231384
Easiest way is probably via a Calibre plugin called DeDRM.
@ apprenticealf.wordpress.com/
>>
>>2231394
Much appreciated.
>>
>>2230328
Baru was intended as a trilogy wasn't it?
>>
>>2231408
I think so, but I have no idea what kind of time-frame he projected and how far he is into 2nd book and whether he has any idea of what he's going to do with the 3rd book.

I don't mind admitting that I think that the 2nd Baru could be a spectacular disappointment.
But I still want it, heh.

Hm. Admittedly I'm also kinda worried about the 3rd Dragonoak book and how satisfying that's going to end. And J Judkins posted some chapters of the Angel sequel and they weren't that great either ...

Um. I see my optimism for 2017 didn't last very long.

Maybe I should hope for one of my guilty pleasure reads like Sam Ryan's Dynasty series, I mean, they aren't particularly great anyway, expectations are low, couldn't go too wrong, right?
>>
>>2230983

https://upcominglesbianbooklist.wordpress.com

I got you covered. This is my go-to, then I just Google the book or author for updated info. Scroll down and you'll see Jan 2017.
>>
>>2229515
If you only read book 1 and not the succeeding books you could imagine a lesbian ending.

Here is how it went in the end:

The school headmaster is about to kiss Sophia so they could have their happy ending(mostly the school headmasters). Agatha and her prince arrives to stop them and mostly save Sophia, a fight ensues and the headmaster throws a dagger(a magic pen) at Agatha, Sophia saves Agatha by putting herself in front and got speared instead.

As Sophia lay dying in Agatha's arms with her last breath, she muttered "I love you" to Agatha. Agatha kisses her and she revives and they disappear in front of Agatha's supposed to be prince.

I came with no expectations of yuri, left surprised, skipped to book 3 end and read het end and promptly dropped the book.

What's wrong with the author anyway?
>>
>>2231790
>spoiler

So, based on the book 2 and 3 summaries, am I correct in saying it's one of those stories where the girl realizes she wasn't gay after all and leaves her female lover for a man? I have enough traumatic memories like that already. Seems like it's getting made into a movie though? Maybe there is some fanfic potential if it gets big.
>>
>>2231911
>one of those stories where the girl realizes she wasn't gay after all and leaves her female lover for a man

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>2231960
The worst is when everything is actually really well done except for the surprise het end. What could have been, you know? There's stuff I'm still bitter about years later.
>>
Can anyone help me out with links to the reunion, summer of love and inside out by susan x meagher? Please and thank you.
Happy new year, book nerds!
>>
>>2231963
Even if it's not surprising. I've just read a Jap. webnovel called something roughly like "Adventures of a crossdressing Lady" (crossdressing in the sense that she runs around in butler's clothes), which is basically some u romance in a fantasy-noble setting.

It's very slow-paced, but, 'cause it's Japanese, she pretty much collects a (female) harem along the way. At the same time, she collects an entire bunch of "in the end I'll dutifully marry some husband" flags ...
... that thing is tense for entirely the wrong reasons! Doubly so since it's Japanese - the author promised "a happy end", but that literally means nothing in Jap. lit. context. Might just be that she'll be happy in her political marriage or something. Urk.

Well, it's incomplete yet anyway.
>>
How much /u/ do you have in Witcher books?
>>
>>2207211
> Cage the Darlings
http://www56.zippyshare.com/v/iqPYcI9F/file.html

anyone got The Roundabout by G.Hill?
>>
>>2232023
The Reunion and Inside Out:
http://www48.zippyshare.com/v/KkYk0yV5/file.html
>>
>>2232133
http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/ilzXStaw/file.html
>>
Anyone have the book, Fire: A Queer Film Classic? It's about an Indian lesbian movie.
>>
>>2232093
Not enough
>>
>>2232055
Do you mind sharing the Japanese title? I'm interested in checking this story out.
>>
>>2232384
Thank you!
>>
>>2232489
男装お嬢様の冒険適齢期
... Google-sensei does a pretty good job on it, since there's little complicated dialogues or outrageously weird concepts or anything.

In any case it's a refreshing change ... well, worry about how it's going to end aside ...
>>
Anyone got Parker Mayhem's books: captive (1st book) and The first (book 1 and 2). Thank you.

To be honest the books I read from her are not that good, but I'm in mood for more non-con stories so.... yeah, I'm lame like this.
>>
>>2232093
not much.

one of the two main characters gets a girlfriend for a very short while. tries men afterwards. Don't know about the games though.

and one side character leans towards girls but you mostly see it in one of the games, not much in the books.

I mean, in terms of heroic fantasy, those books are up there and you should read it if you like that genre. But don't read it for the /u/.
>>
I think this is the right thread for me. I'm going to be writing a story involving Yuri. Where is best to post it?

Is it frowned on in Tumblr or anything?
>>
>>2233569
That depends entirely on what you're writing. An original short story? A novel? What do you want to do with it?
>>
>>2233661
Original short story. I'm only expecting it to be a few chapters on the internet. Unless it really takes off and then I may write out more chapters.
>>
>>2233569
desu this thread is more for literature discussion than writing critiques. Someone should start a writing thread like they have on /lit/, although I guess that would kind of overlap with the fanfic general as well.
>>
>>2233799
The fic thread is kind of the catch-all for writing so it would fit
>>
so the epub file at mobilism for Breaking Legacies - Zoe Reed is broken for me, anyone else have another file?

funny enough it works on a epub chrome extension but not for ibooks/marvin
>>
More like Garoul? No first person's
>>
>>2234270
Won't work o iBooks here too, hoping someone will have it from elsewhere!
>>
Anyone have Our Demented Playdate?
>>
>>2234515
(azw)
http://www77.zippyshare.com/v/71IPR9Vg/file.html
>>
>>2234573
you're a goddess
>>
OK, just wanted to post about the value of certain things being just as simple as possible. I just read Mia Archer's princess charmimg. A marching band goes to a disney world stand in to play for a parade. The MC meets a beautiful girl there and they fall in love and it turns out that the girl is a princess from a small european country. No complications, no twists, the book is mostly just cute dating and the light conflict is resolved with no bumps and the writing isn't distractingly terrible.
>>
>>2234634
Sometimes that's a real good relaxer, yeah.

I'm surprised by the increased edgy request of ridiculous drama in the last few months. Here and for fics and for art/comics. Kinda odd.
>>
>>2234270
>>2234514

Could be the Adobe DRM or another DRM screwing it up.
I converted the azw3 version to epub, see if it works:
http://www106.zippyshare.com/v/xttVsTnz/file.html
>>
>>2234634
It was indeed a sweet light novel but I'm not sure the 1st person narration was a good choice there. It felt odd as both the princess and the high schooler used the same way of talking, same expressions...
>>
>>2234651
Now it works, thanks!
>>
Anybody got The Girls of Radcliff Hall?
>>
>>2234738
I am pretty sure this is legendarily impossible to find.
>>
>>2235024
Damn. I'm reading The Well of Loneliness and I wanted something vintage with actual smut.
>>
>>2235042
Copies of the version reprinted in 2000 go for around £100, and there's only ever a few of them on the market. Nobody, as far as I know, has ever transcribed it. I've been considering buying it and doing so for years, but unfortunately as it's so rare there's no way of finding out if it's any good.
>>
>>2234738
You reminded me that I've been meaning to buy this book. Found it for $110 on abebooks.

>that feel when Daddy is rich and lets you spend his money

I'll let you all know how it is once I get it.
>>
>>2234651

you're awesome! thank you very much.
>>
So I'm downloading this. Can someone recommend a book from this pack?

I don't know if it helps, but my favorite book is Lady Knight.
>>
File: ff.png (1KB, 446x27px) Image search: [Google]
ff.png
1KB, 446x27px
>>2235335
goddamit I'm dumb.
>>
Looking for Delta Force by Alex Westmore.
Anyone got a link please?
>>
>>2234635
Me too anon. I miss that short period of time in /u/lit when it seemed like every week had new recs for comfortable books.
>>
>>2230278
http://www105.zippyshare.com/v/iVgfMFmP/file.html
>>
>>2234634
I'm always amazed that that author wrote that book. Considering her other ones.
>>
>>2235336

I'm kicking that through to Mega (slowly), so I'll post a link once it's done if anyone's interested.
>>
I'm looking for a book in which the lesbian subplot plays second-fiddle to a grander adventure. Preferably something that doesn't have fanfic tier writing, or a trite political message. Likeable, charming characters would also be a plus.

I'm trying to get back into reading after almost 10 years of not having read a book cover-to-cover.
>>
>>2236506
>Preferably something that doesn't have fanfic tier writing

I mean, let's be fair here, a lot of fanfic is actually superior to BSB-tier books. In fact I think my favorite lesbian stories are pretty much all fanfiction.

That said, maybe Sarah Waters novels? Fingersmith etc. Or Malinda Lo's novels, but they are YA so you might not be interested.
>>
>>2236506
Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson, A thousand names by Django Wexler. Raven's Shadow (only book 2 onwards she appears) by Anthony Ryan.
>>
>>2236543
Does the lesbian play a decent sized role on thousand names series. I don't mind her not being the MC, but I wouldn't really like it if she constantly got snubbed, shown up and was unimportant.
>>
>>2236553
She is one of the main characters. Has a POV.
>>
>>2236568
What is the romance subplot about, specifically? I looked up the book summaries but there doesn't seem to be anything about lesbians. I would have assumed this was het if I encountered it randomly.
>>
>>2236580
I have only read until book 2. But Winter grew up in an orphanage and got separated with her friend and is looking for her. They hook up in book 2 but according to /u/ She goes yandere over Winter. The main story is about war and political games.
>>
>>2236584
Nice, I love those kinds of childhood friends get reunited stories.
>>
>>2236580
If you want top quality Yuri fantasy then you should read Traitor Baru Cormorant. It currently sits as the undisputed no. 1 on Yuri fantasy.
>>
>>2236588
Btw, book 1 has minimal Yuri, and only on flashback. Book 2 is where the Yuri starts
>>
Any recs for some angsty books? Something like at seventeen by Gerri hill or denial by jacket Kennedy? Those sort of stories I love!
>>
>>2236589
>undisputed

Debatable.
>>
>>2236729
Everything can be debated and nothing is undisputed, not even the earth being round, but support for Baru seems pretty solid.

And it fits what's asked for perfectly. Dragonoak maybe, too.

But most other FF fantasy comes with morale messages. Well, so do those, but not quite in the Jane Fletcher "look at this feminism!" kinda way (which doesn't mean they're bad or anything), and while the romances are certainly important, they're only part of the bigger issues.
>>
>>2236710
I just finished Born Out of Wedlock by Lyn Gardner. I think you will enjoy this one, it's deliciously angsty.
>>
>>2236771
I haven't read Baru Cormorant, but on wikipedia it says

>At NPR, Amal El-Mohtar praised the "crucial, necessary" novel for its brutality in looking "unflinchingly into the self-replicating virus of empire"

So it might not meet anon's criteria of "no trite political messages."
>>
>>2236907
Baru's take on politics isn't in any way trite.

Still, seeing how manga where two schoolgirls are sad for a while before spending the rest of their lives happily together are too rough for some posters here, I'm not sure I'd recommend the book unreservedly. It gets pretty rough.
>>
I'm just waiting for Baru's final book to end in het.

Pays out to sometimes be paranoid. That way I won't be too pissed. Plus who knows, she'll probably die at the end as well so.
>>
>>2236927
I'm fairly sure that a heterosexual end is the last thing the writer would do. If you read interviews with him, he's a progressive and clearly well-versed in discussions of LGBT depictions in fiction.
>>
>>2236933
Plenty of creators have self-proclaimed progressive views and total confidence that their product will do lesbians justice. It never stopped it from biting us in the ass before.
>>
>>2236933
>he's a progressive
I can't read this guy. He's allegedly a feminist too. I can't trust his writing not to be infused musings from that cult.
>>
>>2236941
It just seems needlessly paranoid, even for /u/, to fear that a creator who knows why tropes like that are bad and is committed to avoiding them would end his novel like that. You might as well fear the same for every single serialization, in which case it's pointless to announce it.
>>
>>2236933
>people never lie
>>
>>2236933
I can't imagine Baru turning het. Her being gay is central to her personality and struggle for power.

Her turning het would make the first book meaningless.
>>
>>2236950
Yeah, I bet he's spending years of his life writing a trilogy of novels and presenting a false identity just so he can end it in a way that will piss off his entire audience.
>>
>>2236958
Why not? That shows dedication. Plus you never know what the characters will 'do' and that can deviate from it's intended path 'because it felt more natural that way'.
>>
>>2236971
Okay, but why bring up that hypothetical and paranoid scenario here, where there's no reason to believe it would happen? You might just as well do it in the Love Live thread or the Hidamari thread.
>>
>>2236909
>Still, seeing how manga where two schoolgirls are sad for a while before spending the rest of their lives happily together are too rough for some posters here,

/u/ btfo
>>
>>2236953
She wouldn't necessarily need to stop being gay by deciding that she rather rule the Empire than shagging women and entering a marriage of convenience.

In fact, I'd be surprised if that subplot didn't come up. As to how she'll decide - who knows? She seems uncompromising in her ideals, but if she feels the gain is big enough ...
>>
>>2237017
Experience.
>>
>>2236771
Definitely not number one for me, I think it gets a lot of praise here because it's done in the same mindset as books written for a male hero but with a gender flipped protagonist. It's not so much a lesbian hero as a female man.

Dragonoak on the other hand looks outright rubbish.
>>
>>2237146
But Baru being a lesbian and a woman are both frequently discussed and really important to the plot.
>>
>>2236865

I'll check that out!
>>
>>2236591
And then in book 3 they fug in basically every Winter chapter.
>>
>>2237146
Dragonoak isn't actually that bad tbqh. Definitely one of the better /u/ fantasies out there (though that isn't saying much).
>>
>>2236865
Ooh, that sounds interesting, mind if you give me the link? Can't find it anywhere!
>>
>>2237146
Err, how is that a problem? Unless it's about something very specific like childbirth or something like Daughter of Mystery with a biased society or one of those political feminist ones you could convert basically all FF plots into MM plots without changing much beyond the superficial ...

Anyway, just finished Demons Shemons. FF urban fantasy. Characters and dialogues are kinda forced but I thought they were fun nonetheless.
Plot, though, very, very meh. Don't even know how much many times it's been done before.
Satan's waifu comes to Earth to give birth of her son, everybody is afraid of the apocalypse, let's do something about it ...
Well, I don't like Christian mythology-based UF in the first place, desu. Most of the time, anyway. But they also went so stupidly around it ...ah, well. Wasn't my thing.
>>
Anyone can recommend a better EPUB reader than, well, the EPUBreader browser extension? It just looks so garbage, on FF at least, that it's really distracting and annoying. And the layout is pretty bad too. But 4/5 books are only available as EPUB so...
>>
>>2237659
Calibre?
>>
>>2237662
Calibre isn't bad for sure but a bit cumbersome for simply loading a file and reading, a browser add-on would be ideal for ease of reading but I suppose we can't have it all.
>>
>>2237659
I use Adobe Digital Editions for desktop/mac. Otherwise I convert it to Mobi via calibre and read it on Kindle for desktop.
>>
>>2237685
Huh maybe I'll check that out then
>>
>>2237659

I use Icecream ebook reader, I don't really like calibre.
>>
Online-convert.com

It takes seconds its free and online so no downloading any programs
>>
OK, thousand words was pretty good. It's this sort of military fantasy with a large emphasis on describing battles.
The primary characters are Marcus, a senior officer who is loyal, fair but otherwise rather ordinary, Winter a crossdressing private who turns out to be a really good commander and Janus a non POV character who is really weird but also a tactical genius. I actually came out liking all the characters much more than I thought I would. Winter is a lesbian but her love interest doesn't appear in this book.
>>
>>2237659
Sumatra is what /g/ uses.

Don't use Adobe, that shit is bloated beyond all belief.
>>
File: SecondhandSouls.jpg (171KB, 432x648px) Image search: [Google]
SecondhandSouls.jpg
171KB, 432x648px
Secondhand Souls had a lesbian couple raising the grim reaper, which is way better than the last time Christopher Moore wrote a lesbian couple.
>>
>>2237640
http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/nrLLqRlq/file.html
>>
>>2237350
>>2236591
Was anyone else hoping that the Girl's Own army unit or whatever would just turn into Winter's lesbian harem? I know I was.
>>
>>2237895
No dude, that's impure as fuck. Monogamy only.
>>
>>2237812
Is reading a dirty job absolutely required before getting into this one ?
>>
What booksare you currently reading? And which 2017 release are you waiting for?
>>
>>2238566
Necromantia by Sheri L Wohl. It's on mobilism. Haven't gotten very far, but it's about a dog-handler who CAN SEE DEAD PEOPLE.

Obviously, she's chasing a killer and becomes a target herself and of course there's this sexy police officer who tries to protect her and gets to know her SECRET and yaddayadda. Also, she talks a lot about her dog, who is of course completely unnecessary in searching for dead people on account of her being able to see their ghosts, but she still is crazy about her.

Err. If that sounds kinda lackluster it really isn't bad so far. I'd even say it's quite good. Could do with less dog, but it's a story told by a pet owner so perhaps that's just realistic ...

I also just finished the 2nd Tabitha book which I'm now giving the award of "least amount of /u/ content while actually having /u/ content". Basically, in the 2nd book, at the very end, so after 900 pages total or so, a female character considers her crush on the female protagonist, but dismisses it two sentences later (I'd have given the protagonist an 80% chance to accept. She is no lesbian, but she's so starved for attention she treats animals like people, so...). Brilliant. Can't imagine anyone will ever come up with even less, ha ha.
>>
>>2238755

>Necromantia

Man for a second there I thought it was going to be about lesbian necromancers now I'm disappointed.
>>
>>2238899
I was, too. Reading a bit further it turned into a sort of generally feeling of disappointed, it's too much mythical mumbo-jumbo and not enough sensible police work with too much short-cuts into allowing non-professionals taking part in the investigations (obviously this is because the romantic couple needs to kinda stick together, but it's done too easily).

On a side note, I also read "Dying for a Living" not too long ago, which features a bisexual "zombie", who has got a relationship with a girl and a male sex friend, but, out of nowhere, she breaks it off with the girl to stick with the guy after he emotionally blackmails her into "doing it properly or not at all". I would've been pissed off if I hadn't expected it, but frankly, even doing so I was surprised by how crudely that was done. Seriously. At least try to make it seem like a reasonable good choice?! Sometimes I'm truly baffled by what writers think when they write their so-called romances ...
>>
Finished Chef's Special by Susan X Meagher today and it was a good read, nice twist in the middle and little to no angst through it all.
>>
>>2237659
I just read on my phone.
>>
>>2238566
Currently reading the last of the loudens as someone suggested in this thread. Pretty fun and light hearted though really short.

Will finally get to Carmilla next
>>
Does anyone have Eternal Game (The Sullivan Vampires, Book 6)
by Bridget Essex ?
>>
>>2238546
Yes.
>>
started reading what a wild spirit brings. writing seems like it was poorly translated from another language, but otherwise plot seems interesting so far
>>
>>2238913
>Seriously. At least try to make it seem like a reasonable good choice.
But that's actually impossible.
>>
>>2231430
So I'm half way though The Heavenly Fox. Hilariously adorable are the first words that pop into my mind. Wish they'd been out when I was a little baby dyke, hah. But maybe it takes a crazy turn, considering how it started out, I dunno...
Thaks for bringing the series into my life either way.
I found them on Mobilism, but the links for the last book are all dead (or I'm doing something terribly wrong). So I thought I'd ask nicely if you'd care to share in case you still have it. Thanks in advance!
>>
I'm not sure whether this is really the right place to ask, but I figure I'll give it a shot...

I'm trying to convert Japanese .azw3 files into html. It seems like this isn't possible with calibre, so I tried using calibre to convert .azw3 to .txt and then converting the .txt to html using a different program. The problem is that the .txt file doesn't preserve furigana properly and in the final html file it ends up jammed into the text next to the kanji, which can make reading kind of annoying.

Does anyone know a better way to convert .azw3 with Japanese text to html?
>>
Anyone want to recommend any good Science Fiction books
>>
>>2241183
Depends on your definition of good. Big books of awesome don't even exist, I believe?
Maybe you'll like the corny, slightly repetitive Supreme Constellations series. It's fun.
>>
I like that the Shadow canpaigns turned into fucking X-men. No sarcasm, the X-men fights are awesome especially in the third and forth books.
>>
>>2241244
?

What books are you talking about?
>>
>>2241269
Thousand Names and it's sequels have very heavy supernatural elements and later books have brawls between supernatural assassins and the heroes, some of which have superpowers.
>>
>>2241269
The series that is mentioned in the fucking post.
>>
>>2241044
I'm always reluctant with likable, struggling authors who put their books out there quite cheaply ...

Luckily for you I'm a hypocrite.
http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/UTXdogeM/file.html

>>2241183
Far Seek Chronicles are quite decent, Anderson's The Significant also isn't bad.
>>
>>2231430
I just finished Heavenly Fox and 'guilty pleasure read' is an accurate description. The writing style is pretty clunky and in serious need of some basic proofreading, but the story was entertaining enough, though very silly.
>>
>>2241244
I preferred it more when it was just slaughtering mudshits with muskets and cannon in the desert to be honest.
>>
What ate some good /u/ novels that the main focus isn't the /u/?
>>
>>2242081
>good /u/ novels

haha
>>
>>2241413
>>2241413
Would you happen to have the third Far Seek? been looking for that for quite a while
>>
>>2242223
Actually no. No idea what's going on with that one. Isn't even properly on amazon I think.
>>
>>2242223
>>2242302

Are you talking about that one:

http://www94.zippyshare.com/v/mic8jCjs/file.html
>>
>>2236506
A little late but I'd give the "Island in the Sea of Time" trilogy a shot.

Modern day Nantucket (Well, 90's) is thrown back into the bronze age and 5000 people have to learn to survive and flourish. Good action, a lesbian subplot that's there but not the main focus. I liked them very much.
>>
Anyone have none so blind by L J Maas?
>>
>>2242081
Fingersmith was pretty much like that.
>>
>>2242317
YES! THANK YOU!!
>>
>>2242695
You're welcome.

As for why you can't find it on Amazon, well...

I know I bought it from Bedazzled Ink back when, but I think the author has gone to Ylva publishing since (I bought "If looks could kill" from same author there) so perhaps they haven't sorted publishing right yet.
Anyway, enjoy.
>>
New Thread?
>>
>>2243282
Thread posts: 361
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.