[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SRPG Development Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 12

I'm creating this thread for further ideas and discussion regarding the potential yuri SRPG that an anon in the Ideas Thread is planning to make using SRPG Studio. Feel free to use it.

I'm not sure, but discussion seemed focused on a girls' school theme using a system of personality archetypes and clubs so I'll link the relevant posts here

>>1865743
>>1865772
>>1865804
>>
File: 1439883322780.jpg (116KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1439883322780.jpg
116KB, 600x800px
This shit's a commitment, I sure hope we aren't putting too much pressure on SRPGanon to actually deliver or anything.
>>
I was gonna make an SRPG with heavy yuri stuff once FEXNA came out of private beta.
>>
>>1865939
Why the wait?
>>
File: 25523192.jpg (163KB, 431x647px) Image search: [Google]
25523192.jpg
163KB, 431x647px
While I do adore that anon's idea and his delightful yuri country puns I wonder if it might not be better to just do a more conventional fantasy SRPG story with yuri flavorings, much like Embric of Wulfhammer's which was more fantasy adventure with VN elements.

I still think taking popular yuri archetypes and throwing them into a new context would work though, and wouldn't even mind if they were all-girls civilizations warring.
>>
>>1866035
>all girl civilizations
All girl schools. Imagine, two girls schools. One is posh, with an elegant ojousama as student council pres, and one that's... Not so posh, with a handsome girl as SCP...

The two of them previously went to the same school before graduating on bad terms, now their schools are rivals that are constantly invading each other for contrived reasons. To making things better they started opposite each other in their old schools final production of Romeo and Juliet.

The mc is a new transfer student to the not-so-posh school and gets caught up in one of the aforementioned invasions.
>>
File: 1378802656231.jpg (459KB, 742x960px) Image search: [Google]
1378802656231.jpg
459KB, 742x960px
>>1865877
Oh shit. This is it.
This is where heroes are made. This is the exact opportunity to make something that everyone will remember you for.
But the task at hand is daunting. Too many great games die before they are even born.
Are you a bad enough dude to pull this off?
>>
Sorry guys, I've been sleeping.
I appreciate all the ideas you've been giving me and I'm trying to see what's possible to implement and what isn't.
While I can take care of the graphics, programming (and possibly the music if I've got enough time), my main concern is the writing since English isn't my first language and mine is abysmal.
Would anyone be willing to help out in that department?
>>
IMHO the yuri genre is perfect for support-based SRPG's, like Fire Emblem Awakening's style, because you can have all characters get to S rank with all other characters without worrying about gender.
>>
>>1866402
I can write, but I'm no Shakespeare. I'm busy most days however. If you are willing to work with me we could do something.
>>
>>1866402
Anon, you might want to tell us what exactly are the limits of what you can do with SRPG Studio.

/u/sers, especially now that Fire Emblem is especially /u/-relevant, are gonna have expectations, mostly in regards to support/relationship building and however that might work in the engine.

You did mention something about an affection system being limited/not implemented and that you might have to jury rig a makeshift system using event variables and whatever.
>>
Before anything writing related begins, I'd like to ask the creator whether they plan on something more like Fire Emblem, where you'd have a set number of characters with their own personalities and classes, with a story that's more character-driven or something more like FF Tactics or Disgaea, which a bunch of stock characters who have no personality and maybe a handful of story characters, which would mean the story would have to be more world-driven

Personally, I think something more like FE would work best, as I'm pretty sure that's the style SRPG Studio was designed to make. There's also been discussion about supports which would be difficult to do with nameless stock characters.
>>
>>1866816
Well as an unrelated anon I'd say it seems unrealistic to aim for a supports system with a number of named and plot-relevant party-members than what FFT had. Because that would be a shit-ton of work. Even the FE games with smallest cast have probably ~40 characters, and most of them only ever show up on the map they join, and in the 3 - 4 supports written for them. I mean, I love FE but well-developed and filled-out are not terms I'd use for the characters that don't get plot-spotlight, i.e. 90% of them. And even that much would be very unrealistic, if you want decent characters and relationships even entering double digits is gonna be a lot of work.
>>
File: 1441566888720.jpg (399KB, 926x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1441566888720.jpg
399KB, 926x1920px
>>1866853
There are 85 IPs in the "write a yuri plot" thread. I'm sure any of them could think up a decent number of conversations given the personality, archetypes and some personal details. /u/ has done more with less. Shit, we got entire franchises like Touhou whose fan output is built on such shenanigans.

Girl A; fights with an axe, from City A which has culture type A, working class background, energetic and boisterous, etc.

Girl B; fights with magic, from City A but high class noble background, refined but shy

But either of those two could also interact with Girl C, the playful ojou with a naginata
>>
>>1866870
Well, still waiting to hear what sort of setting the creator is going for, because right now I think rival girls schools is in the lead over fantasy setting, and I actually have a list of ideas to use for girls schools... but in the end it all depends on what sort of resources are available. Considering it's a completely new maker, there probably aren't any premade tilesets for modern school theme.
>>
>>1866778
>you might have to jury rig a makeshift system
If a lot of juryrigging is a concern, I know a codefag who's been working on his own modular SRPG engine for years. He's not into /u/ at all, but he's a huge FOSSfag so he'd probably work in whatever we ask for in the name of penguins and wildebeests. (That or tell me to fuck off. 50/50.)

SRPG Studio is probably a lot easier to use than his autism-fueled C++ API though.
>>
>>1866908
>C++
People still use that?
>>
>>1866870
>I'm sure any of them could think up a decent number of conversations given the personality, archetypes and some personal details.
Can confirm, am one of the 85.
>>
>>1866911
Of course, it's not like it doesn't work...
>>
>>1866921
Well yeah, but you can say the same thing about Fortran or COBOL.
>>
I'm the anon who posted >>1866047
I've actually got some character ideas to go along with that setting. And now that I'm on my computer I can go into further detail. You’ll notice that most of these characters are derivative of standard archetypes with certain quirks for added flavor.

Main character: A transfer student who ends up going to the lower-class school. At her old school she was a sort of jack-of-all-trades who helped out various clubs (think Kyouno Madoka from Lagrange). A nice girl who can't say no to anyone who needs help. Ended up going to the cheap school because since she was always helping others out her grades sucked (even though she’s a pretty good student). Gets caught up in one of the rival school's invasions and the student council president is so impressed with her athletic skills that she names her vice president on a whim before she can be scouted by any of the various under-staffed clubs.

Student Council President: Cool, laid-back tomboy, rivals with the ojou-sama at the other school. Ran for president by without a running mate and won partly because she's that cool but mostly because no one else wanted the job. Was the kendo team captain at her junior high school and is more comfortable on the battlefield than stuck in the student council room. Leaves most of the work to the secretary. If she is the equivalent to a Fire Emblem lord, then MC is strategist.

Survival Club Captain: The long-range combatant, welding airsoft guns because Kyudo is a classy sport for classy ladies and this ain't a classy school. Rather than a bash gun nut as you'd expect, she's a quiet girl who usually has her nose in a book.

(Cont...)
>>
>>1867099
Tea Ceremony Club President: The only classy girl in the school. Comes from an old family whose influence has long dwindled in post-war society. All her club members are daughters of families who are still retainers. Refreshes weary combatants with her herbal teas. She's so poor she only has one maid. Kind of a yandere, wields a training naginata because no one told her the healer doesn't bring weapons to battle.

Maid: Personal maid of the tea ceremony club. Comes from a long line of ninja that have served her family for generations. While she’s actually a fashion-conscious girl, she finds maid outfits difficult to do her work in, so she dresses like a butler. At some point she started working at a maid café to bring in some extra income, and the female patronage doubled overnight.

Occult Club Girl: Lone member of the occult club… all the others are “ghost members” oOOoh 3spooky5me. Actually she joined the Astronomy Club by mistake because she thought it was the Astrology Club. All her fortunes somehow turn out to be true, and her fortunes are usually bad. (tl;dr she’s the team Debuffer). Wears a shrine maiden outfit even though she’s not a shrine maiden.
School Idol: Has a great singing voice and a good sense of style, but two left feet. Which is why she failed to pass every audition she’s been to. She writes her own songs which are full of heart and her never-give-up spirit keeps her team going. Secretly kind of an otaku, after watching idol anime she assumed literally anyone could be an idol.
>>
Equestrian Club Girl: Girl from the rival school (obviously, the player’s school is too dirt poor for an equestrian club). Best friends with your student council president and went to her old school and knows the reason the two presidents had a falling out. Despite looking like the archetypical “prince” she’s rather pervy. Got a scholarship at the posh school because she figured the place was a garden of innocent maidens waiting to be plucked, but became disillusioned when she found out everyone around her were stuck up ladies. Switches sides after being defeated.

That's all the ideas I came up with while I was bored to death at work. One thing to point out is that the battles in this are all non-lethal (think Majikoi) though the player's school starts off with low-grade equipment. Armor made out of cardboard boxes, helmets made out of pots ransacked from the home-ec room, etc. They fight battles for influence and prize money to improve their school and get better shit.
>>
>>1866911
Is there something wrong with that? It's still my main language of choice whenever I program. What are people using nowadays?
>>
>>1866402
Have you considered using an open source repository for it? I think that has worked well for 2channel group projects.

>>1866908
It looks like SRPG studio uses JavaScript which is babbies first scripting language these days. I would assume that it is still possible to call functions from a native DLL using C APIs, though all the marshaling required might get annoying. The scripting reference for the engine seemed to be mostly in Japanese so it might be somewhat difficult to navigate for those that aren't used to reading Japanese technical docs.
>>
File: Lilies in the battlefield.jpg (437KB, 986x1383px) Image search: [Google]
Lilies in the battlefield.jpg
437KB, 986x1383px
> not doing a tactical military yuri game akin to Jagged Alliance
even if you actually tried doing that with the little resources you seem to have, it'll probably end up being better than Flashback
>>
File: tandem_lover_026.png (145KB, 750x1073px) Image search: [Google]
tandem_lover_026.png
145KB, 750x1073px
>>1867281

alternatively

robots, like in SRW or Front Mission
>>
>>1867282
This'd be much easier.
>>
File: henshinclub.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
henshinclub.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
>>1866913
Yurifags, unite up!
>>
>>1866778
The support system from FE featuring different ranks isn't implemented yet and, as far as I know, it isn't planned for the big update coming in November.
For what it's worth you can have characters talk to each other on the field though.

I'll translate the different menus and upload the sample game so that you guys can get a feeling of what the engine is capable of.
>>
>>1867709
Looking at the list of most-requested featured that was linked in the ideas thread, it looks like the top feature is FE-style animated battle sprites... but it looked like those were already implemented in the trailer. Support conversations is the second most requested feature.
>>
>>1867711
Yeah, I'm sure they will implement that in the near future as well. Here's a list of the upcoming updates: http://srpgstudio.com/update/notice.html
>>
I wonder what the general plot will be. Maybe students have to battle each other for a bigger portion of the club budget. Or perhaps the teachers are disbanding all extracurriculars so the students have to unite with rival schools and take on the teachers. And then it can they can go higher up to the admins, superintendent, etc.
>>
>>1867718
Depends of what resources are available, what sort of talent is brought to the table, etc. If only the default fantasy assets are available, then that's what will have to be worked with.
>>
>>1867729
The default assets are fantasy only of course, but I have an artist who will take care of sprites and I will do the other graphics myself. Considering the battle animations and depending on the number of different characters/items/etc. this might take quite some time, so help is of course welcome. (But not until we're past a certain stage so that the effort won't be wasted.)
>>
So here's the sample game which comes with the program:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vpc1maq5x96jtm/Sample%20SRPG.rar

I didn't translate the item names and any of the text, so feel free to skip it.
I haven't played FE for quite some time and didn't know the context for some of the menus, so some translations might be a bit off.
Once you're on the second map, read all the things under "Communication" to gain control of two more characters.
And before anyone asks, yes, you can change the resolution, but for some reason it didn't work out for the sample game.

Controls:
Z/Enter = Enter; open menu
X/Ctrl = Cancel; on character: check status
Space = Skip
F4 = Switch to full screen/windowed
F12 = reset game
A = go to previous unit
S = go to next unit

Controllers should work as well. You can use a mouse too!
>>
File: 1399503640878.jpg (38KB, 389x600px) Image search: [Google]
1399503640878.jpg
38KB, 389x600px
>>1868010
>Satchmo

I couldn't see any significant difference but it might've been because of the low levels of all the heroes but was there a weapon triangle in place?

Also for the communications section, is it fixed, or would it be possible to trigger the availability of certain conversations when criteria is filled?

Also for the "Communication" and other dialogue, when the characters start talking, it just switches to the empty battle plain. Would it be possible to put character portraits like in a VN? There's already face portraits in the dialogue window, yes, but I figure more of a full body profile would help with all that empty space.
>>
>>1868458
>was there a weapon triangle in place?
No, unfortunately that hasn't been implemented yet.

>Also for the communications section, is it fixed, or would it be possible to trigger the availability of certain conversations when criteria is filled?
Yes. For example, in the case of the sample game, you can only see the other three communication entries after you unlocked the other characters by reading the first communications entry.

>Would it be possible to put character portraits like in a VN?
You can do it like this: http://srpgstudio.com/lecture/charillust.html
>>
>>1867281
>licking the gun

Priorities straight.
>>
Not really related, but I recently thought of a weird yuri combat mechanic for one of those military RTS things. I have to work out the kinks first though.
>>
>>1873708
What kinda mechanic, anon?
>>
File: PowerDolls8.jpg (34KB, 400x306px) Image search: [Google]
PowerDolls8.jpg
34KB, 400x306px
>>1867282
Powerdolls with yuri would have been nice.

Although wasn't there some light subtext in the OVA?
>>
>>1873751
The basic idea is that if you kiss an enemy unit enough (represented by a health bar or something) they get converted to your side.

Basically, you play as an elegant onee-sama who's bent on converting the entire school into your personal lesbian harem. But it's no easy task, since there are numerous other onee-samas with their own respective harems who stand in your way. And then there's the student council president who already has half of the school within her influence, your ultimate rival.

There are two main types of units. First are the imoutos. They're the front-line infantry of your harem army. Their main ability is the standard kissing attack, but they can individually have specialized abilities as ranged attackers, bombers, medics, etc. They can also heal themselves by kissing each other, but it's slower compared to kissing their onee-sama. Imoutos are tied to their onee-sama so if the onee-sama gets converted, they automatically get converted too.

The onee-sama is like those commander-type units in those games. She has several times the health of an imouto and her kiss attacks are several times more powerful too, but her main role is support. She emits an area of influence around her which buffs her imoutos, heals them and causes attrition damage to enemies. She also has some special abilities like RAPE which is a one-hit-convert, ranged attack via archery (the arrow is drugged with aphrodisiacs) and instant heal, but they drain her ability points. Onee-sama abilities are retained if they're converted but probably nerfed to an extent.

There are no resource gathering and the number of units are fixed, so this is more like a turn-based tactics game than an RTS.
>>
File: AYV.jpg (236KB, 576x425px) Image search: [Google]
AYV.jpg
236KB, 576x425px
>>1875937
Do we get armored and elegantly designed self-moving carriages armed with a speaker tower that blasts yuri propaganda and classical music?
>>
>>1877623
Reminds me of the 'religious' civilization type in that game Spore, where their main way of attacking is by using loudspeakers to convert and spread propaganda.
>>
>>1867282
Would love to see this (fantasy setting is okay too)
>>
>>1867281
would sound cool too :/
>>
It should be a Visual novel meets SRPG, similar to Persona 4 or that PS2 RPG with the mechs I can't quite get my tongue on, that's pretty much the only way I can see this being a good game.
>>
>>1875937
Sounds a bit silly
>>
>>1866402
I would be willing to give it a shot; do you have a disposable email somewhere?
>>
>>1870460
Did someone say something about our favourite Big Dyke, Satchmo Omega?
>>
Do you know Japanese?
There is a really good doujin game made by SRPG studio that I like quite a bit that could give you some pointers
It's not downright yuri but 90% of the cast is female and it has quite a bit of subtext, it's also really long and quite awesome as a whole
>>
>>1903547
Link?
>>
>>1904409
https://www.freem.ne.jp/review/game/win/4352

It was voted best doujin game of 2012, it's quite long with a pretty intricate story and 30+ characters
>>
>>1904598
That wasn't made with SRPG studio then, since it's a rather new tool.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.