[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

Jim on his so called "Depression" rumors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 356
Thread images: 32

File: Jim_Carrey_2008.jpg (516KB, 849x1155px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Jim_Carrey_2008.jpg
516KB, 849x1155px
https://youtu.be/sQp6ATVaS_M

Separate interview

> As an actor you play characters, and if you go deep enough into those characters, you realize your own character is pretty thin to begin with

>“You suddenly have this separation and go, ‘Who’s Jim Carrey? Oh, he doesn’t exist actually.’ There’s just a relative manifestation of consciousness appearing, and someone gave him a name, a religion, a nationality, and he clustered those together into something that’s supposed to be a personality, and it doesn’t actually exist. None of that stuff, if you drill down, is real.”
>>
In all seriousness I wonder if playing so many maniacally weird characters messed with his head irl. The best actors seem to keep their private and acting lives separate (for example Tom Cruise's real name isn't actually Tom Cruise), when you pretend to be other people for a living, day after day, that's got to fuck with you eventually.
>>
He's just trying to get a philosophical grip on his existence, most people don't even reach such a stage and just fall through life as it happens to them. I respect him for trying to organize his phenomenological experience, though it's sad that he doesn't know how to do so privately.

Someday they'll teach ontology, epistemology, and logic in schools but for now we just have to figure it out ourselves if we even hit a trigger to do so, which 99% of people don't. Don't bully him.
>>
>>87828606
Problem is, I'd bet dollars to donuts his sources on the matter is new age woo, rather than philosophical works.
>>
he was fucking Jenny Mcarthy
>>
>crazy person claims they aren't crazy
>>
>>87828700
Yeah sounds like some threads on /x/
>>
>>87828606
>>87828700
this to some regard
meta level existential crisis only can happen in people who have surpassed needs and wants, and have more wealth then most people can imagine

most of society and identity politics are for those who depend on it, people like celebrities and billionaires/ multi millionaires live outside of society and most plebs dont even comprehend that level of meta existence , where everything that can be gotten, has been gotten, and nothing left but want

ive gotten to that point around 7th grade and have unlimited money to the point of always being self sustaining, so alls left is want and desire which is hard to come by, you need to chase those things because as you get old they become fleeting and routine becomes the norm
>>
>>87828606
it's pointless bullshit. there's no use trying to figure it out or understand it. it's all just random. philosophy is dead. the next logical step if you've embraced nihilism is to understand that if it's all pointless and there is no inherent meaning to life then it's up to you to find meaning in whatever you want. nihilism should set you free and inspire you. instead retards get depressed and kill themselves. humans need religion otherwise they go crazy
>>
>>87828700
Well, new age stuff is still philosophical, it's just not very grounded or consistent, so it usually produces organization systems that aren't easy to communicate with to other people. It's something that works better for a hermit or someone who literally gives zero fucks about what others think of them. It can still work, though, I guess is my point.

The hard pill to swallow is that we live a cognitively relativistic existence and that your beliefs define your objective reality, so long as they are true beliefs and not suspicions, hopes, or 'probabilities'. A man who firmly believes that landsharks are conspiring against him experiences an existence where landsharks are conspiring against him. He doesn't possess your relative perspective that contradicts this belief, making it irrelevant to something that is objective in his view. This is why I can't really fault people for looking into new age stuff, because in the end, nearly anything you try and believe will be based on axiomatic reasoning, and 99% of people have beliefs based on ridiculous axiomatic reasoning. The only alternative is to live a sort of paradoxical existence where you somehow have true knowledge that true knowledge is impossible. At least he's trying to figure something out.

Bit of a ramble, tl;dr I feel sorry for the guy for his public image but he isn't doing anything wrong and imo is doing something more worthy of praise than what most people do.
>>
how much longer until he become realife Truman
>>
>>87828373
I think he's just trolling.
>>
>>87828995
Nihilism is a philosophical stance, it's oxymoronic to consider it the "next step" from philosophy.

Philosophy isn't dead at all, it just hasn't advanced much since Hume and Kant, because as these two have so rudely pointed out we lack sufficient apparatuses to form communally objective information. All that's left to pick from is basically your flavor, mine for example is phenomenology, I think it's a sensible way to interpret your first-person existence. These 'flavors' continue to be advanced to this day, abrahamic religion being an example, but ultimately are based on axiomatic reasoning. Even the concept of falsifiability is based in a logical system requiring an initial axiomatic belief that statements can be objectively "true" or "false".
>>
File: f93.png (299KB, 680x598px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
f93.png
299KB, 680x598px
>>87829043
>axiomatic reasoning

you lost me
>>
File: 1505624382016.jpg (36KB, 428x364px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1505624382016.jpg
36KB, 428x364px
>>87829225
in english, please
>>
>jim carrey will kill himself in your lifetime
>>
>>87828942
Have you written your name on the moon yet? Visible to the naked eye? It would be cool.
>>
>>87828373

Sounds like he took too much LSD and gave himself a dissociative disorder.
>>
File: 1495052658074.jpg (130KB, 1200x1135px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1495052658074.jpg
130KB, 1200x1135px
>Be a star in some of the best comedies of the 90s
>constantly complain about how you don't want to be remembered as the guy who "talks with their ass" in your most well-received movie
>Try to be in a serious drama
>You flop badly
>Go back to comedy and have to have members of the US army to help you apply make-up in the grinch
>Literally cry on set of You me and irene because you had to suck a real tit and the actress was fine with it
>Complain about not being taken seriously
>Try serious drama again
>Flop again
>Complain about not being taken seriously during the production of Mr popper's fucking penguins
>Try and get all your scenes axed from Kickass 2 just as they wrap up production because you now think "gun violence is bad guys" but had no problems filming all your fucking scenes
>Give a girl an STD and the resulting problems with it and her infidelity cause her to commit sudoku
>Can't get hired for movies anymore because you're box office poison because of your shitty attitude and problems on set

>Guys I'm so depressed why can't I get roles look how deep I am now
>>
File: jim-carrey-mask.jpg (29KB, 300x323px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
jim-carrey-mask.jpg
29KB, 300x323px
>>87829384

His last words were "Somebody Stop Me!"
>>
>>87829319
An "axiom" is a statement that is supposed to be self-evident.

For example, morality is a concept that it's easy to understand the axiomatic basis of. Many people regard the statement "murder is wrong" as inherently correct, as though it is a truth of this universe, and not simply a belief or a preference. It's ultimately an opinion based on emotions.

What is less understood is that all systems for interpreting our existence utilize axioms, such as the axiom that your sensory information is sincere, as a very baseline example.
>>
>>87829506
cheers philosophy bro
>>
Reminder that depression is and always will be a choice
>>
>>87828733
She was a piece of ass back in the day.
>>
>>87829582
says the guy with no family history of
clinical depression
>>
>>87829630
Keep hiding behind that excuse, you'll realize it's bullshit in time.
>>
>>87828373
he probably ought to cut back on the acid
>>
>>87829630
He's right. A description I prefer is that depression is an 'activity'. It's something you 'do', instead of doing other things like reading a book or swimming. You literally sit there and spin circular reasoning in your head that causes you pain, feeling sorry for yourself. It's something you choose to do. You could do something else if you wanted to, but you don't, because it's easier to sit around feeling sorry for yourself.
>>
>>87829582
free will is an illusion
>>
>>87829730
I mean he might kill himself first, to be fair. It happens.
>>
>>87828700
>new age woo
it's called Transcendental Meditation
>>
>>87829791
>Transcendental Meditation

Ok, new age poo, same difference.
>>
>>87829730
>>87829756
there may be an element of truth in what you say but low serotonin levels is measurable and medication addresses this so it is a real condition.
>>
>>87829779
A phenomenological 'choice' is not incompatible with determinism. You are ultimately making a semantical argument. There's a reason we have a word for decision making in nearly every language, it's something that we experience.

Maybe you were always going to make the choice to continue to wallow in your despair, using determinism as an excuse. Maybe you were going to always make the choice to get off your ass and do something about it after anon told you that you're being retarded online. "Choices" describe a deliberate alteration of your projected future, not a contradiction of determinism.
>>
>>87829890
Yeah, that's what doctors tell you that you have so that they can sell you medication. Me and almost everyone I know have been told by a doctor that we have low seratonin levels. I recommend you sieve your perception of this sort of thing through multiple possibilities, especially if what you're doing right now isn't working for you.

And even if it were true, the reality becomes that you simply are going to have a harder time choosing to not be depressed than some other people. It doesn't make choosing to be depressed any less of a choice or a senseless decision.
>>
>>87829506
morality is determined by society. it is absolutely correct to say that killing is morally wrong inside of that society. this is not an opinion. if that society is at war with another society then it is not morally wrong to kill members of the other society though you will be vilified in one and hailed a hero in the other.

these arguments and attempt at understanding are pointless. existence is whatever we want it to be. we live in a real world that has laws and morals. if you want to be part of the existence society has created you have to play by their rules or change it. it seems like all this talk about axioms is making things more complicated than they really are
>>
>>87829968
Very telling. Very telling
>>
>>87829905
turns out telling someone depression is a choice will magically fix all of their unfixable problems that were making them depressed
>>
>>87828373
>do drugs
>get std's
>ruin your girlfriend's life
>threaten her into suicide
>get depressed
>start pretending you're deep
>>
>>87828606
*tips trilby*
>>
>>87830064
Morality isn't defined by society, it's just something that a collective group of individuals can agree on, and each of those individuals has the cognitive relativistic experience that killing is inherently wrong. Each of them have an opinion based in axiomatic reasoning, but experience this opinion as objective as they lack an alternative perspective to demonstrate it's subjectivity, and when a large group of people all have the same opinion without alternative perspectives within the group, in turn that opinion becomes the objective experience of their society.

You say these arguments are pointless yet you try to argue your stances regardless, obviously they matter something to you. You may live in a real world that has laws and morals, others do not. Societies do not 'create' independently of individuals, they are made up of them. And this talk of axioms is necessary for understanding the points I was bringing up in defending ol' Jim's behavior, and ironically you are trying to defend your point by applying this cognitive relativist reasoning to society, so the concept of an axiom is 100% relevant to your argument.
>>
>>87829968
Ok I am Bi Polar, when i am in a manic phase i am absolutely not in control of my actions. I have no idea what is going on and I see the world as if i am a divine being, There is no way this is just a decision i made. so your telling me I should choose not to be manic?
>>
>>87830159
The issue is that you choose to believe that your problems are "unfixable".

>>87830199
*tips derby*
>>
>>87830366
No, but you could possibly change your situation so that your manic episodes are less detrimental or non-detrimental to your experiences. This could be anything from changing some simple aspects about your lifestyle to marooning yourself on a pacific isle. The point is that there are options, and pretending that there are not options is a silly option to take.
>>
>>87830348
you're a retarded shit head desu and i can tell i'm getting to you. there's literally no benefit and no point in pursuing whatever pointless garbage you're trying to understand. if existence is pointless then existence is whatever the fuck we want it to be. if society says killing is bad. that's the reality. you kill and you go to jail. you seem smart, but you have no wisdom. i'm guessing around age 26
>>
>>87830393
of course in this magical world everything is fixable

what was i thinking
>>
He's going to be on Norm Macdonald Live this week or next.
>>
>>87830511
really? could be amazing
or could be a train wreck
hopefully big brother \Norm will get the best outa his fellow leaf
>>
>>87828606
>He's just trying to get a philosophical grip on his existence
>though it's sad

what's sad is that he's going through a stage that most people go through as teenagers with the psychedelics and introspective nonsense. it's almost like he realizes hes about 10-15 years from dying and he's freaking out about it and he doesn't know how to handle getting old and rotting away slowly.
>>
>>87830458
If existence is whatever you want it to be, what if you want existence to be something where killing is not bad? Doesn't that contradict your argument?

Society can't say anything. Individuals in a society can, and individuals may all agree on something, though that is rare. You can kill someone and people may throw you in jail over it. You can also kill someone and nobody ever knows other than yourself, and if it's your opinion that killing is not wrong, then there is nobody or no 'society' to deem the act as wrong. This is reality.

>>87830461
This but unironically.
>>
>>87830576
Well I wouldn't say that MOST people go through the stage he's going through, at the level he's approaching it. But yes, it is something more commonly associated with teenagers and young adults experimenting with psychedelics or alternative methods of living. I still respect it more than jumping through the hoops that are there without question, or giving up and wallowing in his self pity. Those ends are just boring.
>>
>>87828606
>Someday they'll teach ontology, epistemology, and logic in schools
When the Jews are dead and not before.
>>
>>87830576
>he doesn't know how to handle getting old and rotting away slowly.
and you do?
>>
>>87829506
>such as the axiom that your sensory information is sincere
lol

slow down turbo, you do know that only crazy people ask them types of questions righttttt
>>
>>87830598
the meaning of existence and everything that comes with it is determined by society. you either play by the rules or change it. i've already said this. if you kill someone whether someone knows you did it or not it doesn't make it any less morally wrong within that society and you will still go to jail if you get caught. your reality is now a prison cell for the rest of your life

the rule of law is reality. morality is the basis for any law system. if you say that's not real then fuck it and go live like a chimp because it's the foundation of our reality and the only thing your pointless musings do is put us back to square one
>>
File: niceboat3.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
niceboat3.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>87828443
>for example Tom Cruise's real name isn't actually Tom Cruise

Right, he's a character played by Jim Carrey.

When he tilts his head up and smiles, he's Carrey. When he lowers his chin and glowers, he's Cruise.
If you compare the lines on his face, ear structure, nose, hairline etc, they're clearly the same person. The only physical difference is the teeth... yet "both" are known to have interchangeable front dental work.

Supposedly they're different heights, yet the intro to Austin Powers 3 hangs a pretty fat lantern on that one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFhrc32kF6E

...And now you're thinking "holy shit suddenly all the James Bond references in the new Dumb And Dumber movie and the scientology symbols in the background and the fact that he wears and Air Force dress uniform for no reason for half the movie suddently makes sense"

you fucking dummies
>>
>>87828373
Makes me want to watch Man of on the Moon now
I haven't seen it yet
>>
How has nobody posted this gem yet
>>
>>87829319
>>87830598
>>87829968
>>87829756

Not the same person, right?
>>
>>87830689
>and you do?

yes, beer seems to rid those thoughts of dying and rotting, lots of beer, women/porn are also a distraction.
>>
>>87828606
>most people don't even reach such a stage and just fall through life as it happens to them
No man, that's not true at all. His thoughts seem somewhat juvenile actually, like they're from someone who just started thinking shit like that.
>>
>>87830792
not this one
>>87829319
i meant this one>>87829043
>>
>>87830810
lol Beer

you sir are the Homer Simpson of Philosophy.

>meant as a compliment
>>
Meaning can be derived from anything, so it's literally up to you whether or not life is meaningful or not. If you decide it's not, it's not, if you decide it is, it is because your reality is the only one you are experiencing and will experience (as far as we know) which means that everything is subjective.
>>
>>87829447
I thought he as amazing in Eternal Sunshine
I mean just incredible, so I can see why he no longer wants to talk outta his ass
>>
>>87830706
Most forms of insanity are subjectively defined. There's a reason psychologists were quick to remove homosexuality from the DSM when people started bringing up political issues with it. They didn't want a light shown on the fact that their basis for their theories was a little bit shaky, which would cause a huge collapse in the perceived sincerity of their field.

Take it up with Kant, not me. Maybe he was crazy.

>>87830732
Society is by definition a collection of individuals. The meaning of existence is defined by individuals, some of which agree with each other and form societies based on these definitions. The problem is that you are viewing "society" as some sort of magical entity that causes the opinions of individuals to crystallize into some sort of collective objectivity, regardless of whether or not their beliefs are contradicted by some members of that society. There isn't really any logical basis to this, there is a huge leap between cognitive relativism and social relativism. It is individuals who determine to put you in jail based on their beliefs that may or may not be written on a piece of paper somewhere within their society, not society itself, which is an abstract entity incapable of acting or determining anything.

It is not impossible for someone who disagrees with popular views in their society to exist within that society, as demonstrated on a daily basis. It is a lapse in logic to conclude that because a lot of people believe in a thing, that thing blankets over the relativistic views of others who do not. There is a missing premise here, and you are not bringing this missing premise to light.
>>
>>87830913
that doesn't free you from consequences. everything is absolutely not subjective
>>
>>87830970
It is subjective though because you get to choose how you react to those consequences. If you burn yourself, you can either go "Wow, that really hurt, I should be more careful not to burn myself again" or you can go "AWGGG PAIN UGGGH IT HURT" and any other near infinite number of things. It's why some people learn from mistakes and some people make the same mistakes over and over. Like it or not it's up to you.
>>
>>87830792
It's all me.

>>87830826
Yeah, and most people don't even begin to think like that. Keep in mind that a majority of people on the face of the planet follow a traditional religion from childhood until death.

>>87830913
According to anon "society" can decide what's objective for you using magic society powers.
>>
File: ear_iannarelli.jpg (39KB, 579x415px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ear_iannarelli.jpg
39KB, 579x415px
>>87830770
>>87830770
Did you know that ears are as biometrically distinguishable as fingerprints? That's why you're supposed to show your ears on a passport photo.
>>
>>87830732
>any less morally wrong within that society
the act of killing always has a context
i'm sure there's someone out there who if murdered, you wouldn't bat an eye
either killing is 100% wrong all the time, or it isn't

the point being made itt is that these considerations are only things that happen in our minds, nothing more


the rule of law is an infrastructure that many people use for many different ends

you're literally treating it as if it's some sort of infallible absolute, which the most cursory look at history would prove wrong

killing and murder and the like aren't wrong because they're 'wrong'
we straight up just don't like the pain suffering and loss that comes with those actions and structure the world according to it, *this is the reality

we do not observe morals in the world, we observe actions and their affects, nothing more
>>
>>87828606
>>87828700
This was my thought when I started reading and seeing all the weird shit he's been saying. I understand where he's coming from, and a lot of what he says is "true", but he takes the information and draws retarded conclusions from it. Like, the fact that each of us is actually more of an ecosystem than a single organism...and beyond that we're not even individual ecosystems, we're just parts of larger ecosystems...and beyond that, our entire planet is just part of a solar system, which is just part of a galaxy, which is just part of.....etc. You can go in either direction like this, larger or smaller, and see that everything is just part of something bigger, as well as just made up of many smaller things, so nothing is really "one", and yet at the same time everything is "one".

But the bullshit that he concludes from this information...
"I don't exist"
"Nothing matters"
"Nothing is real"
...it's just retarded. He's either mentally unstable or just stupid.
>>
my grandpa is in his 70s and still goes on autistic atheist rants about how god isn't real

he genuinely thinks he's being clever too. it's kind of unbearable
>>
>>87831030
>Yeah, and most people don't even begin to think like that.
I really doubt that, I imagine most people think about things like that at some point. Being this objective about reality has given me some odd points of view I suppose though.
>>
>>87830970
Consequences exist, therefore objectivity exists? What?
>>
>>87831060
>"I don't exist"
no he's being literal

See >>87830770
>>
>>87831060
Psychosis is what happens when people have a spiritual awakening and don't understand what it is a lot of the time. Look up "kundalini raising" in yoga, I induced an experience very similar to that meditating on my own without even knowing what it was. And please don't go HURRR NEW AGE BULLSHIT, meditation is ancient and proven to have many positive effects, you have to relinquish control of your mind though and that is scary for some.
>>
>>87830861

There really is no point in philosophy when it comes to dying/death, you can either distract yourself with other things in life or you can dwell on it, it's not even worth talking about. it's been talked about for ages and it's a boring topic.
>>
>"Dude I don't exist"
>"Dude love is a chemical"

Is this is worst argument anyone has ever made ever? Of course you fucking exist, everything you do has consequences that ripple throughout time. This man drove his girlfriend to suicide and now hes playing the "Consciousness is an illusion card". Im sure he "existed" when he was fucking her brains out
>>
>>87831060
H';s right though
the amount of matter in your body that has your DNA is about the size of your knee to your foot
all the rest of your body is made of of different organisms that depend on you for life and many will eat you when you die.
>>
>>87830964
>are subjectively defined
i was being facetious brah


it's actually 'crazy' to me that wordwide people 'believe' in all sorts of things that all imply not only different worlds but different realities completely, yet here we are, on one blue ball in the middle of nowhere
the problem you seem to be having with everyone here is back to what you said about axiomatic reasoning, as many people itt are just assuming that certain singular aspects of our social reality are absolute, when as jimbo has said himself, we could all disappear tomorrow and with it, all of our considerations and baggage as well
>>
>>87831066
but anon, god isn't real.
>>
>>87831147
Well, genetic engineering and transhumanist technologies are starting to dawn, and this is bringing to relevance the concept of death once again. It's becoming increasingly common for people to conclude that we should attempt to reject the inevitability of death, instead of accept it or make an excuse for it.
>>
File: 4pgpNcN.jpg (63KB, 480x608px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
4pgpNcN.jpg
63KB, 480x608px
>this thread

life has no meaning, get over it. Jim is just being a baby about it, he is not deep or even original, he is just crying for help.
If you truly reach understanding you just keep quiet about it and go through the motions until you die
>>
>>87831168
>drove his girlfriend to suicide

I don't buy that,
It's not as if he was making her life a living hell

she coudn't cope in Hollywood, she was probably on a shitload of psychiatric drugs

those are more likely the culprit,s as they so often are.
>>
>>87831194
I'm gonna write my name on the moon. It's going to be visible to people standing on the earth by naked eye. It's going to be awesome.
>>
Noones posted the Emma Stone vid yet
>>
>>87830732
>the rule of law is reality

But if you kill someone, get away with it and no one knows you effectively escape the rule of law. What doth reality then?
>>
>>87831272
Life has meaning if you decide it has meaning.
>>
File: tumbling_down.png (772KB, 1020x670px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
tumbling_down.png
772KB, 1020x670px
>>87828373

https://youtu.be/HBVeBuqKlBg

This whole first minute is absolute insanity the guy is truly gone.

>things start splitting at the seams now, the whole thing tumbling down
>>
File: kermit2.jpg (14KB, 400x400px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kermit2.jpg
14KB, 400x400px
>>87830770
>>
>>87831310
Literally sounds like me when I was an edgy teenager.
>>
>>87831187
Yeah, I touched on that as one of the things he's right about....
>>
>>87830964
>Society is by definition a collection of individuals. The meaning of existence is defined by individuals
the cog doesn't equal the machine. if you have one person saying it's okay to rape and murder and you do so then you get punished by the others who decided that it's not okay. a society isn't formed by individuals anyway. it's formed by people who share the same morals

>The problem is that you are viewing "society" as some sort of magical entity that causes the opinions of individuals to crystallize into some sort of collective objectivity
the law dictates that they are in fact part of a collective objectivity and the consequences from breaking these laws are very real

>there is a huge leap between cognitive relativism and social relativism
there's no evidence to make this claim. in fact there's overwhelming evidence that suggests this is objectively incorrect. cognitive relativism is again, pointless. you break the morals of society and you get punished. that's the only thing that's real

>It is individuals who determine to put you in jail based on their beliefs that may or may not be written on a piece of paper somewhere within their society, not society itself, which is an abstract entity incapable of acting or determining anything.
it's people who agreed to follow the rules that govern society that put you in jail because you didn't agree and they took you out of society. they are not individuals

i just want to know what the point of all this is. really what it sounds like is you're advocating for the destruction of civil society. i think you've been put through the modern day college communist ringer
>>
The Redpill: Science can't explain everything, yes you really exist, no life is not a simulation, you are responsible for your actions, carry the torch of humanity for future generations and keep the fire alive

The Cuck pill: Free will doesnt exist, life is a simulation, you are not real, *tips fedora intensifies*, science will surely guide me even though 90% of it is false
>>
>>87831304
does it? dont you mean if you convince yourself it has meaning? because i can decide it has meaning but in the back of my mind i know its just another distraction
>>
File: 220px-Edmondposter.jpg (21KB, 220x323px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
220px-Edmondposter.jpg
21KB, 220x323px
id like to recommend this movie to all the bros in this thread

its rather apt
>>
>>87831137
I don't think meditation is magical and can give you some awakening or enlightenment or whatever, I think it's just a good way for people to actually slow down and reflect on things which allows them to work shit out that they wouldn't normally. That, and depending on how you do it, it can qualify as sensory-deprivation, which is known to induce hallucinations and shit.
>>
>>87831066
you should get him to change his will and then murder him
>>
>>87830929

This
>>
>>87831285
i can't tell if you're joking or speaking metaphorically
>>
>>87831432
Meaning is subjective, which means that yes, if I convince myself it has meaning, it has meaning. All you've done is convince yourself that it doesn't. Life not having meaning absolves you of responsibilities which is convenient.
>>87831445
It's not "magical" and it most certainly can give you deep sense of Enlightenment. Trust me, before I tried it myself I thought EXACTLY as you did, that it was just deep introspection or some shit but what you find is that you are able to distinguish your true "self" from bullshit that floats around in your head and it is a clearly definable and life altering experience. I highly recommend you at least try it for yourself with no reservations.
>>
>>87831378
>if you have one person saying it's okay to rape and murder and you do so then you get punished by the others who decided that it's not okay
>by the others who decided that it's not okay
>who decided

you said it yourself
>>
what he said doesnt make any sense tho, if he truly believes life is meaningless and even that we dont exist, then an ICON whatever that was he went to has as much meaning as the nobel prize, searching for the most meaningless thing and joining up implies there is something with more meaning, which according to his ideas, there isnt
>>
>>87831427
I will take the cuck pill and the cognitive dissonance, thank you
>>
>>87831539
He's just being an edgy faggot to confound normies.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (74KB, 480x360px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
74KB, 480x360px
>>87831445
did someone just say
float tanks
>>
>>87831528
>All you've done is convince yourself that it doesn't.

well i could argue that it objectively doesnt
>>
>>87831585
How?
>>
>>87831378
I can't think of a society where everyone shares the same morals outside of maybe some uncontacted tribes. This is a bit of a problem with your assertion.

>You are part of a collective objectivity because the law dictates you are part of a collective objectivity and the law is true because of collective objectivity
Circular reasoning.

>cognitive relativism is pointless
>literally arguing social relativism
I didn't realize society was a precursor to individual experience. Starting to yawn, here.

>It's individuals who agreed to follow the rules that govern society that put you in jail
>They are not individuals
Yeah I'm yawning hard.

I'm not advocating for anything. I'm just pointing out what we can say about reality with some level of basis that can be communicated to other individuals, and what we cannot, and social relativism falls into the circle of things that have easily observably gaps of reasoning in it's bases. I enjoy society and use it to my advantage as much as I can. Communism is a form of society, I don't know why you think it runs contrary to the concept, and it's not one I'm fond of at all.
>>
>>87831549
sweet sweet cognitive dissonance
>>
>>87831503
You'll know in 20-30 years.
>>
>>87831539
he simply has no other context for his thoughts than the celebrity life he's living


really there's nothing wrong with him or anything he's saying, it's just that since he's lived his life within a certain frame, he has to compare these perspectives with that frame

>as an actor you play characters, and if you go deep enough..

all of the talk on this board is just a bunch of people overreacting at some talented dude reflecting and meditating on his process and talent, none of us have any business talking about him (obviously all of us are getting some sort of kick out of it)
>>
>>87831427
Most of /sci/ is on the cuck pill, Jimbo is just an evolved form of euphoric from overdosing on them
>>
>>87831623
no facts, no real arguments. just pointless musings and i hate repeating myself
>>
>>87831197
that's besides the point. it's throwing the baby out with the bathwater and is juvenile view on religion.

add to that he has a little meltdown everytime he sees anything mildly christian
>>
>>87831700
Pointing out that someone's argument contradicts itself is called a "counterargument", and I did it several times with your argument, and another anon pointed out yet another contradiction that I missed.
>>
>>87831700
>Pointing out someone's argument doesn't make sense isn't a fact nor an argument
???
>>
>>87831303
>Magazine of herself on the table.
>No socks on and floor is stone
>Nintendo is pulled out.
>World 1-1

This is a fake ass photo.
>>
>>87831790
She's playing as luigi though, which is kind of strange.
>>
>>87831589
well i would say that if we can agree that the laws of physics are objective, there is no way to derive meaning from the laws of physics, they just are
>>
>>87831815
That's actually Green Mario, retard
>>
>>87831528
>you are able to distinguish your true "self" from bullshit that floats around in your head
That's just isolating one aspect of your brain from the others, your conscious mind from your unconscious mind. My focusing on your conscious mind, you feel like you are sort of observing the rest of your mind as an outsider, and that the observer is the "real you". I watched a program about this, your brain is actually made up of multiple "individuals" which communicate with each other, but if this communication is disrupted for some reason the separations become more obvious and can manifest in weird ways. It's pretty fucking cool.
Now I will always acknowledge that anything is possible, you could be right and there could be some "self" in the metaphysical sense you're talking about that is actually separate from the physical world (or at least your physical body/brain), but when science can already explain something through empirical means, I just don't see why I should reject that explanation for something with zero empirical evidence.
>>
>>87831827
>"There is no quantum world. There is only an abstract quantum physical description. It is wrong to think that the task of physics is to find out how nature is. Physics concerns what we can say about nature..."
--Niels Bohr
>>
>>87831837
It says "luigi" on the screen :c
>>
Serious question who in this thread actually thinks they dont exist
>>
>>87831891
It's you who is actually a simulated dynamic entity in the educational program I'm testing.
>>
>>87831891
you
>>
>>87831658
i just enjoy that he put these thoughts on minds that may not bother to ponder these things in the first place
>>
>>87831891
I don't think i don't exist, but I felt it a couple of times. Must be some sort of brain bug.
>>
>>87831827
That's a really pathetic explanation as to why life is meaningless but I'll indulge it
Even if the laws of physics are objective, we could argue that consciousness is a force that has a large effect on the physical world and is a continuation of those laws of physics, after all if there was no one consciousness to catalog our reality the "Laws of Physics" wouldn't exist, you're looking to science as Christians looked to the bible. Consciousness is literally self aware reality.
>>87831854
Science is just guesses, you can't possibly imagine what I'm talking about unless you do it for yourself, and there is much empirical evidence into the benefits of deep meditation. Anyone who considers themselves a true advocate for "Science" should realize that there are many things it cannot explain yet and that the more you learn, the more there is to be learned. Knowledge is like a flashlight in the darkness that gets brighter so you see more, but the darkness around the light also grows so you are more aware of how much more there is to know.
>>
>>87831891
There is the (You) that exists as the post I'm replying to and a person in the world with a name. There is also the you that only you can be aware of.
>>
>>87831891
what is the point of thinking you dont exist?
i mean to have a conversation we have to agree on at least something, if you say you dont exist its like covering your ears and shouting
>>
>>87828858
i just hope he doesn't transition into a woman
>>
>>87831891
my experience of being a self aware something within a greater context called reality is absolute, my identity is a completely creative phenomenon


no is one born with a name, or by choice
>>
>>87831700
you got blown the fuck out brainlet, he pointed out all the flaws in your "arguments"
>>
>>87831891
I'm not "Jim Carey"
and neither is he

I think that's his point
>>
>>87832038
I think arguing that your self doesn't exist contradicts one of the only things in phenomenological existence that ought to be self-evident, but solipsism is an interesting concept to discuss and one of the few that isn't contradicted outright by something you can observe.
>>
>>87831891
I have somewhat of a belief that inhabit our own universe. other people still exist but in their own universe and in some entirely different time. I feel like there are an infinite amount of yous as well as other people that are interacting with each other.
But what you right now are experiencing is your singular base universe that will disappear when you die.

so everyone in this thread and in your life appears as a real person but are simply one of the infinite versions of themselves that crossed path with your reality
>>
>>87832089
I'm Jim Carey. AMA
>>
>>87831997

You just completely lost what little credibility you had. As I suspected, you are in fact just peddling "HURR NEW AGE BULLSHIT"
I mean seriously....
>Science is just guesses
At best you're being disingenuous, and at worst you're retarded.
>>
He's just sad man (I don't mean that critically.)

Sure you pick up your tendencies from your experiences and relationships (using the term broadly to cover all relations with people, things, situations.) But what you make of those things is your individuality.
>>
>>87832098
If that's the case why did my Universe wallpaper all the rooms I never went into?
>>
>>87832120
I love you in that movie where you yell "GIVE ME THE MONEY". Did you fuck bridget jones?
>>
>>87831997
i would accept your idea that, as we are literally the result of the laws of physics, then meaning can be derived from them, through us, altho i dont agree with your idea that physical phenomena doesnt exist if we are not there to catalog our reality
>>
>>87828606
>Someday they'll teach ontology, epistemology, and logic in schools
cringe
>>
>>87832128
Not him but science by definition argues falsifiable statements. Science produces the "best" opinions from a pool of possibilities by eliminating possibilities that do not make sense until only a few or one possibility is left.
>>
>>87832120
Do you exist?
>>
>>87832128
Science is just guesses though, refined guesses but guesses nonetheless. I think you're the one who just outed yourself actually
>Meditation is "new age" bullshit
Stay surface level brainlet.
>>
>>87832147
*makes farting sounds with my armpit*
>>
>>87829447
>flops
My nigga people venerate him for his parts in Truman Show andò ESotSM
>>
>>87832175
*screams loudly*
*makes funny face*
>>
>>87828443
yes they make fun of that in Tropic Thunder, he should watch that movie someday
>>
>>87832138
that's an illusion. things only become apparent when you view them
>>
File: charl.jpg (57KB, 609x507px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
charl.jpg
57KB, 609x507px
>>87828443
real patricians play characters who are more sane than their true selves
>>
>>87828373
Another antidrumf lib on suicide watch
>>
>>87830775
who the fuck does that hand belong to
>>
>>87832388
Jesus.
>>
>>87832388
he has it bent around his back to comfort himself
>>
>>87832167
>>87832177
I am honestly surprised at how naive you people are. Science is simply about observing the world around us and noticing patterns. This can obviously get very complex, but at its core this is always what science does. Obviously none of these observations are truly objective since we're all imperfect creatures, plus we can only see things from a specific perspective when it comes to our senses, which we know aren't showing us the whole picture. But calling science "just guesses" is unbelievably retarded.
The fact that you're typing this idiotic bullshit on a computer, which is connected to billions of other computers through a world-wide network, instead of just saying it to another human in a cave, is proof that science isn't "just guesses"

You guys are honestly as bad as Jim, and you give philosophy a very bad name which is what makes me dislike you the most. Philosophy is probably the most important thing a person can study, and you dipshits are making a mockery of it.
>>
>>87828373
He just experiencced ego loss through the use of psychedelics and introspection. You don't need deugs to get to that point though.
Once you dig enough within yourself, life feels empty and meaningless without some pre-rational belief. I need to believe in God to stop feelking life killing myself every waking moment of my life. The hope that I'll eventually ascend to a place of eternal peace for my consciousness and meet my creator is what keeps me from giving up.
>>
>>87832514
You're retarded and closed minded, you don't understand science and you're the only dipshit here making a mockery of anything. Hopefully you're young and you'll grow out of it.
>>
>>87832514
>you give philosophy a very bad name which is what makes me dislike you the most.
>>
>>87832519
But you cant convince yourself of what you know isnt true, at least i cant
>>
>>87832519
>>87832637
descartes, ironically, proved that god is a copout from the mystery of consciousness
>>
>>87832514
There are universal truths which science will never be able to tackle. Humanity will stop existing long before we learn 100% about the absolute truths of the universe and existence as a whole through science and rationality alone.
This is why faith exists and is an essential part of the human condition.
>>
>>87828606
everyone has "babby's first existential crisis" in fucking high school. he's not special.
>>
>>87832696
descartes can suck my flaccid cock shaft
>>
>>87832514
You are literally telling someone with a masters in linguistic philosophy that they are making a mockery of philosophy. I don't care enough about your whining to respond with anything more than that.
>>
>>87832710
It's common among people on this website but not common at all throughout society, though it's becoming increasingly frequent as information becomes more and more easily accessible.

Remember: Most people on this planet follow a traditional religion from childhood to death.
>>
File: 1381838225347.gif (2MB, 250x204px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1381838225347.gif
2MB, 250x204px
>>87830393
>The issue is that you choose to believe that your problems are "unfixable"
this fucking thread
>>
>>87832701
>>87832578
>>87832167
>>87832150
>>87832098
>>87832074
>>87831997
>>87831827
>when you're so fucking stupid that you're too stupid to realize how stupid you are so you actually think you're smarter than everybody else

I'm not even a quarter of the way through this thread and already the retardation is too strong for me.
>>
>>87832793
Retards don't understand mental shit and think clinically depressed people are "choosing" to feel that way.
>>
>>87832828
Good post you really contributed a lot and told those guys off!
>>
>>87832828
What's wrong with this statement: >>87832167
>>
>>87832757
Nobody cares about your shitty degree, philosophy is a hobby, not a career
>>
File: 1475452964956.png (59KB, 1127x686px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1475452964956.png
59KB, 1127x686px
>>87832828
BASED ANON DROPPING THE TRUTH BOMBS
>>
>>87832828
>projecting this fucking much
>>
>>87828606
most people finish that stage by 17
>>
>>87832877
Who said anything about careers?
>>
this is the most pseudo-intellectual wankery of a thread I've seen all year. /lit/ would be proud
>>
>>87832906
Most people believe in an afterlife or reincarnation until the day that they die.
>>
>>87832926
>No new IDs with this post
Someone is buttmad
>>
File: NietzscheGun.jpg (25KB, 524x400px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
NietzscheGun.jpg
25KB, 524x400px
>>87832877
I disagree
>>
>>87832926
>pseudo intellectual wankery

Its called philosophy
>>
>>87832926
the only people that are pseudo intellectual are people like you who want to take all these topics completely seriously instead of just having some philosophical fun.
>>
File: 1501446965381.jpg (50KB, 500x780px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1501446965381.jpg
50KB, 500x780px
>>87832978
>>
>>87832757
Not him but
>implying linguistic philosophy has anything to do with ontology
You're one of those people who's so ignorant that you see yourself as smarter than everybody else. You're so far behind in the race that everybody else is about to lap you, and when you look back and see them behind you you actually think you're ahead.
It's pointless to argue with you because you're so dumb that you cannot be reasoned with, so I'm not even going to try.
Enjoy your blissfully ignorant life.
>>
>>87833004
From your post it seems like you're on the same page as him as far as thinking you're ahead of everyone.
>>
>>87832988
taking it seriously? i came on this thread expecting to see everyone have a laugh about ol jimbo going off the rocker not full blown philosophy debates.
>>
File: howcould you know.jpg (15KB, 602x303px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
howcould you know.jpg
15KB, 602x303px
>>87832933
How can you possibly know that?
>>
>>87832855
You (I assume it was your post) appeared to be disagreeing with the post you were replying to, and yet you instead were supporting his claim (that science is NOT just guesses)
>>
>>87833004
What "race"? I'm so confused...
>>
>>87832828
>>87832891
glad im not the only non-tard in this thread
>>
>>87833064
Statistics.
>>
>>87833090
kek
Of course you are
I rest my case
>>
Faith makes a lot of sense if you accept these 3 basic premises:
>there is an absolute truth to the universe

>we desire to follow path of truth with our thoughts, attitudes, and actions, since truth = good (peace, happiness, fulfillment, purpose, love, etc)

>it's impossible to ever learn such truths 100% through scientific and rational means. We will surely die before that happens.

Faith is trusting and believing a certain path is the truth. Then following it with conviction. A leap into the unknown, which may very well be the correct one. Without faith, we don't even have a chance at picking the correct path, since we choose to limit ourselves to our limited knowledge.
So in a way, faith completes your limited knowledge about the truth.
*disclaimer*: before fedora tippers start frothing in the mouth at the sight of the word "faith", consider that you can always reinterpret your belief system when faced by an absolute truth acquired through science/reason.
>>
hey why don't NEETs and multimillionaires get some real problems?
>>
>>87833073
But it is "just guesses". The scientific method aims to narrow down a variety of guesses until they have found the guess that is the most supported and least contradicted by observation and testing.
>>
If you aren't a little angsty about how it all ends and the state of things you are a retard.

If you let it effect your life, loved ones, mental well being or livelihood you are even more of a retard.
>>
>>87833111
that's not an answer
>>
>>87833129
Surely you weren't referring to "willingness to support generalized social pragmatism" as a "race" that I "ought" to be competing in, were you?
>>
>>87833142
This problem is part of the human condition. Everyone experiences it, whether they are consciously aware of it or not.
>>
>>87830770
wow I never thought about the Tom Cruise Jim Carrey James Bond connection.
>>
>>87833190
If you honestly don't see how calling it "just guesses" is beyond retarded, you really need to go fuck yourself
>>
>>87833193
>I'm a retard who doesn't think about anything ever and lives a basic, surface level existance
Ok thanks for letting everyone know
>>
>>87833210
It literally is an answer.

According to statistics, the best thing we have to determine what a majority of people on this planet believe, most believe in an afterlife or reincarnation.

What is your alternative basis?
>>
>>87833222
It literally is just guesses though. You need to loosen your fedora sperg.
>REEE BLASPHEMY AGAINST SCIENCE!!
>>
>>87833222
I don't understand why you are so worked up over a simple semantical choice. It's not one I would use, but it's not wrong either.
>>
>>87833219
it's not a """problem""" if you can't solve it, go do something productive instead of breaking your little head in about shit no one can answer
>>
>>87828606
precisely. the next stage of human progress is when a new age of thinkers approximate spirituality and rational thought, which has been kept separate ever since the industrial revolution began
the same way we progressed in the Renaissance when rational thought was liberated from religious dogma
>>
>>87831891
sometimes I have brief moments where I question my existence in reality (feels like i'm not alive) but it never lasts longer than a few seconds, when you're pinned down to a bed with sleep paralysis you hear/see the strangest stuff, the loudest sounds in your head like explosions going off.
>>
>>87833234
the fact that you said they believed it until the DAY AFTER
they died.

that is the problem with your answer and it is perhaps the ultimate problem
>>
>>87833277
Sounds like you're just a retard desu. I feel bad for you.
>>
>>87833299
I never said that. Quote me.
>>
>>87833234
no, it's not. you made a very specific claim and then when asked what supported that claim you listed a branch of math. If you have stats at hand that support your claim that most people believe in am afterlife until the very day they die then let's see it. Because otherwise you're offering nothing here
>>
>>87833247
>>87833243
God you people are morons.

I'm out. Try not to hurt yourselves. I recommend you start wearing helmets in your day-to-day lives, just to be safe. And you should probably check yourselves into one of those group homes where a responsible adult can take care of you 24/7 and feed you pudding cups and chicken tendies.
>>
>‘Who’s Jim Carrey? Oh, he doesn’t exist actually.'

Yeah I remember when I was in the 8th grade too
>>
>>87833348
Stay btfo retard.
>>
>ITT: People who can't accept their shitty lives and use the "I'm not real argument to try and fill the gaping void in their lives with an excuse on why they're so shitty"

These types of arguments, ones based solely in science, are usually parrotted by people with literally 0 self worth. Anyone who says we live in a simulation, consciousness and free wll dont exist, and emotions are chemicals are not to be taken seriously. Literal psuedo science
>>
>>87833328
>I never said that. Quote me.
happy?
>>
>>87833268
It doesn't disappear just because you can't solve it. Existencial crisis is part of our life experience as humans.
Do you think philosophy, religion, faith, spirituality, the concept of God, etc. are accidents?
We have been trying to solve this problem ever since we first became satient beings.
>>
File: 03.png (4KB, 389x220px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
03.png
4KB, 389x220px
>>87833341
I assumed I didn't need to. Not being aware of this in the first place is kind of embarrassing, not knowing how to google even more so.
>>
>>87833328
sorry bro I misinterpreted your statement
I read it as they believe in an afterlife UNTIl they die
meaning they no longer did because there is nothing


guess im over thinking a tad
>>
>>87833396
Haha! Whoopsies!
>>
>Its a Truman thinks a bunch of bald space apes on a big blue marble can solve the intricacies of the universe even though we only process data through 5 senses thread
>It's a Truman thinks that the infinity of mans soul doesn't exist because he was responsible for his girlfriends death and is running from himself episode
>It's a Trumanity has no idea what consciousness actually is but argues about it anyway seasonal arc
>>
>>87833317
it actually sounds more like schizophrenia but what's the difference right?
>>
>>87833492
>Deep thinking=Schizophrenia
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>87833220
there's a really fine line between sarcasm and retardation i guess

maybe you've never heard of the film "mission impossible", or that james bond is in general a metaphor for spy shit

such as hiding an alter ego in plain sight in the entertainment industry for literally decades, that's pretty pro
>>
>>87833507
who said anything about "deep thinking"?
>>
Jim makes me extremely uncomfortable when I watch him do anything outside a movie.
>>
File: stirner.jpg (10KB, 200x237px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
stirner.jpg
10KB, 200x237px
>>87828373
>“You suddenly have this separation and go, ‘Who’s Jim Carrey? Oh, he doesn’t exist actually.’ There’s just a relative manifestation of consciousness appearing, and someone gave him a name, a religion, a nationality, and he clustered those together into something that’s supposed to be a personality, and it doesn’t actually exist. None of that stuff, if you drill down, is real.”

Did he just come across Max Stirner or something? he is literally describing a spook.
>>
>>87833224
can you read?
>>
>thread with philosophical themes appears
>brainlets come out of woodwork and claims that everything not approved by them/within general society standards aren't real and are non-issues because they said so
>>
>>87833577
I think the term for this state of mind is
dissociative identity disorder
>>
>>87833654
dissociative identity disorder is a part of schizophrenia, happens when a schizophrenic has a breakdown where they hear and see shit and ramble in a nonsensical fashion, i've known people with this and they're level-headed about 60% of the time.
>>
>>87829043
Why does philosophy always in the end seem to contradict itself? Your belief is just as paradoxical as the guys who claims to know no true knowledge can be achieved
>>
>>87833646
What did you expect? The epitome amd purpose of existence to most of /tv/ is to be a "Chad". What they don't realize is that most of these Chads slowly get tired of their life of hedonism and eventually become old and miserable like everyone else.
>>
>>87833888
What's the contradiction that you are seeing?
>>
>>87833905
>What they don't realize is that most of these Chads slowly get tired of their life of hedonism and eventually become old and miserable like everyone else.

>tfw I haven't even step foot inside the period of hedonism and leaped straight first to constant suffering
>>
>>87833888
>implying there's only ONE sect of philosophy and different sects of philosophies will never contradict with each other because they are obviously not created by people who lived in different countries and eras
>>
>>87833999
>tfw I haven't even step foot inside the period of hedonism and leaped straight first to constant suffering
Depending on your beliefs and worldview that's a blessing. Most of the important things we learn come out of periods of depression and despair.
>>
>>87834035
The bigger irony is that it's impossible to try and describe your surroundings in any way without conducting or using philosophy.
>>
>>87828373
He's absolutely right, what's with the responses here. Is this the fuckin norm dorm?
>>
>>87833905
chad never gets tired of girls flirting with him
>>
>>87833888
I am glad someone mentioned it
>>
>>87834117
What is the contradiction you are seeing?
>>
>>87834049
>Depending on your beliefs and worldview that's a blessing. Most of the important things we learn come out of periods of depression and despair.

True, but knowledge and "intelligence" are wretched things to me that ultimately provided me with the insights that lead me into suffering in the first place.

I wish I was born as a retard or as a cat or any other domesticated animal. I am better off knowing nothing at all and just living without a care in the world.
>>
>>87833999
A Chad I know who fucks different bitches weekly drunkenly confessed to me he was jealous of my loving and simple relationship with my average looking fiancée. Imagine being so handsome and successful you don't even know who actually loves you?
>>
File: 0137859374.jpg (1MB, 1002x1544px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
0137859374.jpg
1MB, 1002x1544px
>>87828373
>Nihilism to the bottom and the long climb back up.
>>
>>87833888
Philosophy and religion are basically the same, there's a reason robert anton wilson poked fun at philosophy with a certain amount of sarcasm in his books.
>>
>>87834109
So? It makes you feel confident and rises your ego for a while. But like Jim found out, what does ego really matter?
Deep within, you can still be a miserable being with no sense of real purpose in life. Fucking Jon Hamm is a miserable depressed alcoholic.
>>
>>87834180
On the off chance that you are being serious, that's just Maslow's pyramid of needs in action.

People slowly moves up as soon as the more baser need is satisfied, ultimately moving towards self-realization and "enlightenment".

so basically >>87834298
>>
>>87834196
Is this quoted from something? Im interested
>>
>>87833949
When you believe in what is essentially "everything is subjective" you recognize yourself that your view is subjective which means it carries as much weight as someone who lives by "we're here to eat as much dogshit as possible". Then you can say "but that's the point" but again, me saying "not it's not" is equally as true. Which ultimately makes the whole thing not discussionable

Like nihilism, it makes itself non-debatable. You can't argue "everything is meaningless" because we can't prove objective meaning to anything. This is the trap so many people fall for and get stuck with nihilism. We can only dress our own motives into giftwraps and present them as 'something' even though they're nothing
>>
>>87828995
Sounds like a lot of work for nothing.
>>
>>87830576
An existential crisis in a teen is babbys first.
>>
>>87834298
poor guy

i bet he wishes he was never attractive
>>
>>87831272
Jim has reached ego death, you retarded fuck, something you should do to, he is not really whining, he's describing his ego death process, which is the contrary of whining, you retarded fuck.
>>
>>87831168
Because you have not experienced ego death, the ego is a temporary illusion, get over it chimp

You've been influenced by the Platonist mentality too much and believe there is a soul

That is false, individual soul don't exist, there is just the whole and the contemporary illusion of the "ego", accept it retard.
>>
>>87834298
The ego is an illusion, individually taken we are nothing, there is only the whole, Jim is right and I have realized it a long ass time ago, read Pirandello "Uno, nessuno, centomila" and you'll get it to.
>>
>>87833623
Yes, Stirner partially got it, Heraclitus and Anaximader also partially got it with the "apeiron", deducing that only the "indefinite" is eternal, and the ego being definite is not eternal but a temporary, ever changing phenomenon, I don't know why most people can't figure it out and are stuck to their egos.
>>
>>87834636
Point is humans always become miserable, depressed, and purposeless one way or another.
>>
>>87831168
No, you don't exist, you change constantly and you are not the same you you were a few years ago, only we decide to exist, if we want we can stop existing with ego death, sorry.

It's a huge blow to take at first, no religion, no soul, but you also have less anxiety and stress, realizing the ego you feed so much is but a brief illusion.
>>
>>87828373
Is Jim a radical centrist?
>>
File: artie lange.jpg (12KB, 380x255px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
artie lange.jpg
12KB, 380x255px
>>87828443
>yfw he's literally becoming the mask
>yfw he guns down a bunch of niggers in a back alley within the next year
>>
Jim Carrey is lost in the void, which is no better than being lost in the relative. Both are blind spots for the ego.
>>
>>87834876
He has experienced ego death, he's beyond this petty bullshit
>>
>>87834820
not necessarily and being chad is as good as it gets
>>
>>87834636
That's not the issue, it's just he has experienced ego death and reality doesn't make sense after that

You can try and play your little "character" but you or rather "not you" know it's just a petty bullshit
>>
>>87834895
Are you telling me he has achieved CHIM?
>>
>>87834415
Not that I'm aware of mate
>>
>>87834468
Even though you have misunderstood cognitive relativism, and nihilism as well though I didn't bring it up, you still have not explained any contradiction. But just because, let's presume everything is subjective, as you are using in your examples, yes, you could say that you want to eat as much dogshit as possible and have it carry equal weight to someone saying that they are wrong. In fact, people have arguments of subjectivity every day where this plays out observably. Calling such a discussion a "non-discussion" is ironically self-contradicting.

Now what you are misunderstanding about cognitive relativism is that it doesn't define everything as subjective, simply that objectivity is experienced differently from perspective to perspective. You do not possess any other window into reality than your first-person perspective. What happens within that perspective is your objectivity. Many people share the same conclusions when observing reality through their personal windows, and discuss them and agree on the objectivity of something. For example, that a water molecule is made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, or that Jesus saved us from our sins. One or both of these things might not appear objective to you, but one or both might be objective to another person, and they might get together and discuss and agree upon the objectivity of their observation.

This is a description of phenomenological reality, and the best one there is to date. It isn't a claim that "everything is subjective", it is a description as to how objectivity functions. Some people are confused who think that science produces a sort of universal objectivity, but in reality, science tries to make very good arguments that convince a lot of people of a statement's objectivity.
>>
>>87834902
As good in terms of pleasure (fleeting) and ego (illusion). Otherwise it's meaningless and doesn't affect your real sense of purpose. Plenty of depressed Chads prove this.
>>
>>87834902
This is only achievable if you lack the will/intention to pursue higher desires.

I daresay Jim is a bigger chad than anyone on this site and he felt the same pull as some of us here too. You are over-glorifying pussies or any other hedonistic acts in general, everything has a breaking point if your mind wills it so.
>>
>>87834966
not him but it seems like you're just sidestepping saying "everything is subjective" then saying the same thing in a more roundabout way. things could be much more objective than you think and you're just over-complicating them at a subjective level, then projecting that subjectivity. food for thought
>>
>>87834902
If you are fixated with your ego it is, when you achieve ego death it loses all value
>>
>>87834966
>You do not possess any other window into reality than your first-person perspective
Why do you assume this? Herein lies the contradiction; you think you objectively know and understand human condition, which you don't. YOU are the one who believes in science in that you think you can only be limited to X because YOU are limited to X, and base your philosophy upon it. You too follow a set of rules not only in your own objectivity, but your description of phenomenological reality does

Basically disregarding that there might be one objective truth is being an objective truth in itself which contradicts itself
>>
>>87834934
>>87834895
>>87834762
>>87834740
Why is it that some people become even more obnoxious after "ego death" whiteout? people like mckenna act like gods or something, i had this happen to me numerous times with 2ci and dpt and I never told anyone around me or acted like a shaman.
>>
>>87834468
Your argument is based on 2 points that needed to be satisfied.

>everything is subjective t. nihilist
>the nihilist agreeing with someone who does not share his nihilistic world view

Your argument hinges so much on those 2 points that it will fall apart if both of those points are not satisfied at the same time.
>>
>>87835089
I don't act like God, and I reached it without the use of drugs, I'm just explaining what Jim went through.
>>
>>87835149
>>87835089
PS: I think Jim did too, certainly being an actor facilitated the process for him, but in this era when we are all alienated it is generally easier to reach ego death
>>
> As an actor you play characters, and if you go deep enough into those characters, you realize your own character is pretty thin to begin with

>“You suddenly have this separation and go, ‘Who’s Jim Carrey? Oh, he doesn’t exist actually.’ There’s just a relative manifestation of consciousness appearing, and someone gave him a name, a religion, a nationality, and he clustered those together into something that’s supposed to be a personality, and it doesn’t actually exist. None of that stuff, if you drill down, is real.”

This some Lovecraftian shit
>>
>>87835104
>the nihilist agreeing with someone who does not share his nihilistic world view
this is irrelevant and doesn't have anything to do with the argument, you missed the point
>>
>>87835014
But I never said "everything is subjective". I explained how objectivity functions.
>things could be much more objective than you think
What does this even mean?

>>87835083
Are you experiencing reality beyond your first-person perspective? How? I'd like to know, that sounds incredible.

>you think you can only be limited to X because YOU are limited to X
Where have I said anything like this? Regardless, it's a hilarious tautology, because yes, if you are limited to X, you are limited to X. What are you even trying to argue?

>Basically disregarding that there might be one objective truth
Once again, putting words into my mouth. I have only explained our lack in apparatuses for determining whether there is an "objective truth", and explained how we employ objectivity with the devices that we have. It would be unfalsifiable to claim that there is no objective truth.
>>
>>87835239
It's called ego death, and it changes your whole perspective
>>
>>87835239
I hope you get a blood clot.
>>
>>87835269
there is no you
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMeOqcNmcpg
>>
>>87834977
>>87835003
>>87835047
don't give me that "real sense of purpose/higher desires" nonsense

we eat we fuck and we die
>>
>>87835014
>things could be much more objective than you think
Objectivity is a value, not a metric.
>>
>>87835342
The Chad wants to feel appreciated because he still has an ego, the ego death person does not
>>
File: 1337244191325.jpg (71KB, 580x386px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1337244191325.jpg
71KB, 580x386px
>>87829447
>whenever you go somewhere
>hey it's Jim Carey! Hey Jim do something funny!
>nah I don't do that shit in RL man
>aawh c'mon Jim, don't be a dick!
>everyone you meet thinks you are literally the guy you act as in comedy films, they literally think this is Jim Carey and nobody even bothers trying to know you for who you really are
>years later start getting an identity crisis and seriously think people do not like you when you are not being funny
>you start asking yourself who you are cause according to everyone else Jim is an asshole who does jokes all day and who talks from his ass
>during this meet a stalker who clings on you and basically becomes your lightning rod
>tell her all your problems and feel you can be yourself but get into problems with her cause she's a fucking stalker
>she kills herself
>start thinking she killed herself cause he was being the real Jim, perhaps he is an asshole too
>become even more depressed

How long till he kills himself /tv/?
>>
>>87835256
>Where have I said anything like this?
>>You do not possess any other window into reality than your first-person perspective
That, right there. You blindly follow science without even considering otherwise even though in the same argument you presented how science is just trying to convince objectivity upon people and doesn't actually offer it. It's a contradiction

Let me rephrase:
>you think people can only be limited to X because YOU are limited to X

> I have only explained our lack in apparatuses for determining whether there is an "objective truth"
Can't you see how you treat this as an objective truth? You claim there's no way to determine objective truth, which is an objective truth
>>
>>87831790
>being this weak that you have to wear socks on stone floors
kek
>>
>>87835342
I unironically wish I could be you, or at least held your opinion.
>>
>>87831060
>>87831445
Materialism won't get you anywhere kiddo, only fact that you made clear in this incoherent rambling of yours was that you either experienced spiritual awakening of some sort and beat down the meaning so you could rationalize it through constraints of your rational mind, or you read up on it and want to say that you actually understand the contents of this revelation. In either case you either always were or became cognitive dwarf.
I don't think either Jim Carrey or any other living person has actual answers to most profound mysteries of this existence, but I sure as hell know what I saw and felt. And believe me it's not extremely hard to describe to the unaltered mind. For this reason the only way I found it easy to reconcile my inner thoughts with social world was through absolutely ignoring this subject while communicating with everyday people, thing that Jim Carrey seems to be physically unable to do.
>>
>>87835432
You can, depression is a meme
>>
>>87831194
But we are here on this blue ball in the middle of nowhere, and yet people are so quick, like Jim, to dismiss that very fact.
They dismiss materialism because as Jim has found out, it is flimsy, its nothing. Then they go all, its holographic, its a simulacra, its everything, there is no duality only you and god and you are everything, or we are nothing.
And yet we are here on a blue ball, in the middle of nowhere. He is Jim, and I am Andrew and he is Martin and so on. And we are so quick to neglect the fact that the simulation, the illusion, the holography is presenting us with this.
Its almost an obsession to people that we must break out, you must reach the 4th or 5th dimensions, we are tetrahedrons dancing and really nothing.
But we are something, despite what lies beyond that and so many don't see, or don't have the ability to see that as something profound and magical they always need more.
>>
>>87835342
>>87835481
to put things in perspective:

>(You): "we eat we fuck and we die"
>B: a guy who just came out of auschwitz and was starved for the entire duration while he's in there

B would be wolfing down food left and right while (You) are having a discussion with him on life, (You) will say "dude life's not just about eating it's also about getting the poon-tang lmao". B would just look up at you and thought you were crazy, because at this point of time in his life the only thing he need and wants is food.

Right now you are B and we are (You).
>>
Are philosophists the most obnoxious faggots on human history?
>I spend my time pondering questions with no answers, yet if you didn't come into the same conclusion I did you're clearly a brainlet plebian
>>
>his name was Jim Carrey
>his name was Jim Carrey
>his name was Jim Carrey
>his name was Jim Carrey
>his name was Jim Carrey

>his name was Jim Carrey
>his name was Jim Carrey
>>
>>87835533
It's more of an issue of lack of empathy, sometimes from both sides.

read>>87835481
>things that I don't believe in doesn't exist!
>>
>>87828373
is this interviewkino?
>>
>>87835553
yes
>>
He has like 15 STDs, I'd be losing my mind as well if every time I look at my dick I see an aberration.
>>
>>87835422
But your first person perspective is synonymous with your existence. This isn't science, this is "I think therefore I am" levels of ontology, literally one of the only self-evident facts you are able to assert about your experience. It is impossible by definition to have a perspective beyond your perspective, that would be a paradox.

>you think people can only be limited to X because YOU are limited to X
So there are people who have perspectives beyond their perspectives? How? I'd like to know, as I've already said. That sounds thrilling.

>You claim there's no way to determine objective truth, which is an objective truth
"Objective truth" in the context I am responding to refers to a universal objectivity. I am saying that it is impossible to determine whether such a universal "objective truth" exists. This is not the same thing as objectivity as defined by moral relativism, you are confused by simple semantics.

Of course it is only within my reality and others who are educated in philosophy that recognize that "universal objectivity is unfalsifiable" as objective, and many people find the contrary objective within their perspectives. Those people make worse arguments than people such as myself, and fail to sway me to their viewpoints, since they can never seem to explain how we determine an "objective truth" exists, simply that it does.
>>
>>87835581
No, it's natural it's called ego death

>>87835481
He's not depressed he's atarassic (Ego dead)
>>
>>87835618
What the fuck are you talking about? His already confirmed STDs are a natural ego death? Are you high?
>>
>>87835532
you've just been memed into thinking there's some higher purpose
>>
>>87835658
Again, refer to >>87835432. I never said that I wish to be memed into this but I couldn't get out. I would ditch my accumulated "intelligence" and self-realization in an instance to be "ignorant" but happy again.

That's why I envy you.
>>
File: 544534534.png (31KB, 755x708px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
544534534.png
31KB, 755x708px
>>87829382
Humans aren't smart enough to get to the definitive bottom of things. The best we can do is take varied approaches and angles to getting to the bottom of things, but we're really slow at that too and who says we're even doing it "right" to begin with.

Its the same thing with math, or any other subject. Do we know ALL the math there is to know right now? No, but each day separate fields like calculus progress further and further. Perhaps one day a discovery in calculus is made that completely overhauls the way the field is understood and taught.
>>
>>87833138
>in a way
Yeah, a completely disingenuous, intellectually lazy, and cognitively dissonant way.
>>
>>87835602
>So there are people who have perspectives beyond their perspectives? How? I'd like to know, as I've already said. That sounds thrilling.
Have you considered the fact that you cannot even begin to comprehend it? Of course not, you expect every person to experience life as you do. How small-minded of you

>I am saying that it is impossible to determine whether such a universal "objective truth" exists
But this statement is a universal "objective truth". Are you retarded?

Gratz on your useless major though
>>
>>87835658
Ego death is the contrary of searching for higher purposes
>>
What if like in 500 years we have a new system to help us define existence and the universe better and future people all laugh at us science believers for being so ignorant and blind?
>>
>>87835581
maybe the syphilis test came up a false negative and he has brain rot like al capone.
>>
File: 1499067352859.jpg (143KB, 600x705px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1499067352859.jpg
143KB, 600x705px
Can we at least all agree that we should try and make "carreypilled" a thing?
>>
>>87835768
Is it not possible for both statements to be true at the same time and also false at the same time?
>>
>>87835768
>you expect every person to experience life as you do. How small-minded of you
>Of course it is only within my reality and others who are educated in philosophy that recognize that "universal objectivity is unfalsifiable" as objective, and many people find the contrary objective within their perspectives.

not him but I think the only one here who "expect every person to experience life as you do" is you.

arguing with you, a person who have a pre-determined mindset is like arguing with a creationist, from my point of view the anon is actually open to other sides of the coin but on your end you are literally unable to accept that that anon views life as he does.
>>
>>87835784
If ego death leads to what Jim is saying, how can a ego die if there is no ego to begin with? That which can die must also first be alive.
Unless he means that there was something fake that died but even then it would mean that it was just his belief in the fake, everything was true already just his illusion of the fake disappeared. But that means what he thought was fake is actually an equal part of what is real.

If the world is fake, an illusion, a hologram.
How come most people that agree with that sentence, never seemed to wonder on the fact that the sentence
>everything is an illusion
is also coming from the hologram, that sentence is then just as much a part of a hologram as everything else, so why would the sentence be any truer than anything else.
>>
>>87835768
But how would someone have a perspective beyond their perspective? That's a paradox. Of course it's incomprehensible. Paradoxes are incomprehensible.

>But this statement is a universal "objective truth". Are you retarded?
No it isn't. It's my relativistic objective view, as I carefully tried to explain to you using easy to understand language, but I guess it didn't work. How would I even begin to prove that it's a universal truth? With what apparatus would I do so?
>>
>>87835732
could it be that i'm not ignorant and you're just delusional?
>>
>>87835864
He realized the ego is ever changing and temporary, maybe death isn't the best word for such a realization
>>
>>87835896
Would a learned person be unable to grasp the concept of empathy? I don't really know anon.
>>
>>87835836
i agree
>>
>>87835940
By what merit did he realise that with? His ego? How his ego has changed over the years?
So it seems most things are realised through the ego even if we change.
>>
>>87834855
Imagine facing ego death and as a result you give up who you are and not instead challenging yourself to sort out whatever may giving you hardship. Imagine how little you must have going for yourself as a person to abandon all and become nihilistic. Programming your brain into believing you don't have a soul... that's sad anon.
>>
>>87834884

>when /pol snow flakes need attention. Sad

>mask never kills, if he does, then they are strip club wops

If anything, I see Jim Carey turning into the character from 23. Crazy, seeing shit in numbers


To /pol
>>
>>87835953
lol
>>
>>87835995
You're not really programming your brain, it's just a fundamental relization, you don't have any idea of what ego death is if you still believe in a soul

Ego death is the logical demosntration that the soul does not exist

>>87835989
You have no idea what we're talking about.

Ego death is realizing that all the things that make "you" up are temporary, memories can vanish and "you" wouldn't exist, chemicals in your brain might chance and your personality changes, "you" is just a mental construct, there is nothing eternal about the ego, it is as finite as a piece of bread
>>
>>87835732

>this is the equivalent to reading a fart.
>>
>>87836116
>Ego death is realizing
So what is the (you) that does this realisation? Not the ego?

>there is nothing eternal about the ego
how can that be when, as you said
>that make "you" up are temporary, memories can vanish and "you" wouldn't exist, chemicals in your brain might chance and your personality changes
seems the ego is the infinite box that holds it all together to me.
But if your ego can die and you can realise something, I'd like to know what in you it is that makes that realisation.
>>
Phil major guy here. I'm watching anime with a friend and want to get balls deep in this ego death discussion as it interests me as someone who's experienced it directly via psychedelics and find it to be an interesting phenomenon, but can't.

What I do want to say is that you guys should get into phenomenological reasoning if you want to understand what is beyond the realization of the singular qualities of reality. You exist as a perception with boundaries, and this defines your existence, and there are things you can determine via this approach to organizing reality.
>>
>>87836030
christ
You really need to go back. You're an embarrassment
>>
File: images-17.jpg (11KB, 238x212px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
images-17.jpg
11KB, 238x212px
>>87835732
>>
>>87836172
>So what is the (you) that does this realisation? Not the ego?

No, not the ego, the logical capability most human beings have independently from our ego., almost anyone can reach this realization, ego =/= logical capability

>seems the ego is the infinite box that holds it all together to me.

As you can see, if your memories are lost forever there is no you, the ego is just a mental abstraction.

>I'd like to know what in you it is that makes that realisation.

The logical capability which is a common human feature, not an individual property
>>
>>87835861
I've only questioned his line of believes, I've never talked about mine. I ask questions, simple as that

>>87835889
You're missing the point. You know of the paradox
>The only thing we know is that we don't know anything
When someone points out that it contradicts itself it doesn't fall upon him to prove that we can know, he only shows that the statement is false. Same applies to your statement. You want an alternative but that shouldn't be required
>>
>>87836193
Get d-doxxed my man.
>>
>>87836228
But you have failed to demonstrate the paradox.
>>
>>87836222
So if I say, I am Andrew and this is my body, that's ego, right.

But if you say, I am not Andrew because nothing is real. That's ego death, right. According to you.

Seems to me like its you that don't understand what you are talking about and you are just on an endless pursuit to escape from something you can't escape from.

Any experience is still yours, it is not outside of you. Any realisation is yours, it is not outside of you.
When you begin a sentence with
>Ego death is realizing
By the very merit of it, something that is realised is in you not anywhere else. And is therefore part of your ego, not matter if you wish to say
I am a grass straw I exist
or
I am not a grass straw, nothing exists
>>
>>87836284
>But if you say, I am not Andrew because nothing is real. That's ego death, right. According to you.

Where have I said nothing is real?

That's a strawman if I've ever seen one.

>By the very merit of it, something that is realised is in you not anywhere else.

It can be realized in any human brain, it's an universal realization, just like the triangle, you don't have to be Juan Borgia to understand it, the only prerequisite is having a functioning brain.
>>
>>87836284
But if you are gay, are you a faggot?
>>
>>87836331
>Where have I said nothing is real?
That's the heart of this discourse. >>87828373 >and it doesn’t actually exist. None of that stuff, if you drill down, is real.”

Again I'm asking you, not if it is a universal realisation, but where in the human body or mind this realisation takes place.
Does it not the triangle realisation takes place in the ego? If not, where? It can't just be a universal logical realisation, it must take place somewhere, right?

Someone blind and deaf still have egos.
If I am the one realising a triangle or realising ego death, then there is the concept of I and where in me is that realisation taking place if not the ego?
>>
>>87829447

>flop as a serious actor

Dude, Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine and "I Love You, Phillip Morris" are easily three of his most well liked films. So "The Majestic" didn't quite work but that doesn't mean Carrey can't make a serious movie. Hell: A LOT of people really liked "The Number 23" even though it was pretty simple.
>>
>>87836262
If it is your relativistic objective view as opposed to a universal objective truth then you concede that it doesn't have any weight outside your own mind which means you're literally arguing "the meaning of life is to eat dogshit". Of course, we went through this once, and you answered:

>Now what you are misunderstanding about cognitive relativism is that it doesn't define everything as subjective, simply that objectivity is experienced differently from perspective to perspective
But now you ARE defining it as subjective. So which is it? Is a universal objective fact, or is is "relativistic objective view" i.e subjective?
>>
>>87836431
>Does it not the triangle realisation takes place in the ego?

No, it takes place through a logical process, which is a universal feature, not an individual one, and thus not a monopoly of the ego.

> It can't just be a universal logical realisation

Yes it can, that's what happens, everybody understands the concept of triangle in the same way, regardless of their individual egos.

>, then there is the concept of I

There isn't, there is just a brain, which is ever changing and has properties common to all humans, just like anything else, there is no immortal soul.

>and where in me is that realisation taking place if not the ego

You seem to be confused.

Ego: the image of ourselves we put together through memories, personality, body etc.

Both the memories, the personality, the body can change completely, hypothetically speaking you could even go as far as increase your intelligence, we know that for now everyone's intelligence decreases drastically through the aging process.

Basically, everything that makes you up is "finite", and you "ego" is ever changing, thinking the ego can be immortal is thus an illusion.

The logical capability which resides in the brain however, which realized what a triangle is, is common to (almost) all humans, it has nothing to do with the individual ego.
>>
>>87836600
>No, it takes place through a logical process
I know that, thats what you keep replying. I'm asking you now and before, where that logical process takes place.

>everybody understands the concept of triangle
Where do they understand the concept of the triangle?

>"ego" is ever changing
Does the ego being ever changing equate to not being real in your view?

>The logical capability which resides in the brain however, which realized what a triangle is, is common to (almost) all humans, it has nothing to do with the individual ego.
So everything with a brain can realise what a triangle is the same way humans do? Or do we need to be humans to do it?
Can down's syndrome individuals realise it as much as brain dead people? Can a dog realise it as much as a deaf and blind individual?

Maybe it has everything to do with the individual ego, because outside of that, even learning that a shape has a name that is called triangle makes little sense.
Even identifying it as a shape has little sense.

There is a logical process behind realising it, but the realisation happens because there is a ego that in the first place utilises logical process.

It matters little to me if you smoke DMT or takes 5 grams of psilocybin in silent darkness, or listen to Alan Watts about and have the realisation that the ego doesn't exist.
To me, all those activities are still utilized by and through your ego.

Your ego never dies unless you do, until then all changes and loss of memory or old age, is just different filling in the box that is ego.
>>
>>87836747
>where that logical process takes place.

In a portion of the brain, which is just one of the many features that make up the "ego", it is not the ego itself, not to mention that the portion of the brain devoted to logical reasoning is "finite" itself, it can be slowed down through aging or completely compromised via serious mental illness like schizophrenia.

>Where do they understand the concept of the triangle?

I've already explained that to you

>Does the ego being ever changing equate to not being real in your view?

It equates to it not being eternal, as there is nothing of it which stays the same, even losing your memories completely would be proof of the "finite" nature of the ego.

> Or do we need to be humans to do it?

>Even identifying it as a shape has little sense.

Why?

>, but the realisation happens because there is a ego that in the first place utilises logical process.

Not really, there is a portion of a brain which does it, which is one of the many features which make up an "ego", not the ego itself, that part of the brain taken alone is not the ego, in fact if hypothetically I took everything from you except the logic capability you wouldn't exist anymore, there would only be a sort of man-computer without a personality or past.

>It matters little to me if you smoke DMT or takes 5 grams of psilocybin in silent darkness,

I have never taken drugs in my life

>or listen to Alan Watts

Who?

>Your ego never dies unless you do

Your ego can die with your body staying alive, memory loss is enough.

>, is just different filling in the box that is ego.

No, it's a completely different person, you still don't understand what the ego is.
>>
>>87836893
>No, it's a completely different person,
there's still a ego there, you don't understand it. Even if by schizophrenia, old age, ego death as you call it or whatever there is always and still a ego there.

The logical process taking place in a brain is just a function of ego.
This is as far as we're getting because to me ego is infinite, to you its not. Now we both know that and there will be no discourse that can change eachothers view.
>>
literally all he's doing is DUDE METHOD ACTING to get into the role of timothy leary that he's in. Not much different than damaged leto
>>
>>87836568
As I've described, it doesn't have meaning only within my mind, as I am able to discuss the view with others who have come to the same conclusions. This is what separates cognitive relativism from absurdism.

>universal objective fact
You still haven't described an apparatus that would allow such a conclusion to be made.

>or is is "relativistic objective view" i.e subjective?
Oxymoron. You can have both objective and subjective views within cognitive relativism. An objective view is something you recognize as inherent to yourself as well as others, regardless of whether or not it is actually true(you can be mistaken, as in your case). A subjective view is something that is something you recognize as a description of your preferences that may not align with others, such as opinions of food or media.
>>
>>87836946
>n a brain is just a function of ego.

There's not an eternal ego there, there is a consciousness which might be completely different from that which governed the brain some years before

> to me ego is infinite

Because you confuse the concept of universal consciousness with that of individual ego
>>
File: charls.png (204KB, 406x477px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
charls.png
204KB, 406x477px
>>87832292

Charls is such a good lad. I wish he made more of those weird videos on the bombstarp channel. Do you think he is ok? He certainly is trying to play with the viewer's suspicions when he talked about the power being off in the shitty shed.
>>
>>87837056
consciousness is a function of the ego, not a function or entity in and of itself. that is my belief.

>Because you confuse the concept of universal consciousness with that of individual ego
I do not confuse them, I use it that way purposefully. Again consciousness is not an entity in and of itself, the ego is greater than the sum of its parts.
Without it none of the functions mentioned, logical process, consciousness would be utilized because they are utilized by the ego.
>>
>>87837031
>As I've described, it doesn't have meaning only within my mind, as I am able to discuss the view with others who have come to the same conclusions.
It's irrelevant whether one or million people came to the same conclusion. I'm glad your friends with a useless major agree with you though, probably makes you feel smarter

>You still haven't described an apparatus that would allow such a conclusion to be made.
Again, irrelevant. You sure miss the point a lot for someone who studies this shit

> An objective view is something you recognize as inherent to yourself as well as others, regardless of whether or not it is actually true
No, it's not. That's not at all what objective means. Objective is something that is definitive. What you described is subjective
Thread posts: 356
Thread images: 32


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.